Colt Brennan says Skins wanted to help him find a spot

The Redskins on Monday released third-year quarterback Colt Brennan, who had hoped to have a long career in Washington.

"I was totally surprised," Brennan said in a phone interview shortly after leaving Redskins Park. "I actually was walking off the field today and someone asked, 'How'd you do today?' I said I had a good day. It was a good practice, so I said I'd have a good rest of the day. It was definitely a surprise."

Brennan struggled in training camp, prompting the Redskins to acquire quarterback John Beck from the Baltimore Ravens for cornerback Doug Dutch earlier on Monday. Brennan, however, said the Redskins' decision to remove him from the roster and add Beck was based only on their strong interest in Beck.

"It had nothing to do with my play," Brennan said. "To be honest with you, it was never a situation with me playing and how I did. It was basically that they always had a real strong interest in John Beck. [Offensive coordinator] Kyle [Shanahan] said he had looked into getting John early on and they couldn't get him. He was excited about my film and interested in working with me. But when this deal came down, they jumped on it. They told me they wanted to give me an opportunity to grow.

"They wanted me to have a chance early on in camp. They didn't want to put me in a bad position. Kyle told me I'm a kid who needs reps. Kyle's an awesome guy, and that's the only thing that's really kind of a bummer, because I love this coaching staff. They've been really cool to me and I was building a great relationship with them. But this is a business. They said they would do anything they could to help me. They told me they think I can play, so they just wanted to give me an opportunity to catch on somewhere."

Brennan hurt his left hip during the final 2009 preseason game against the Jacksonville Jaguars/ The team decided to put him on the season-ending injured-reserved list and he underwent surgery. Brennan had surgery on his right hip before his rookie year.

Brennan had base salaries of $295,000 in 2008 and $385,000 last season. Although he became a fan favorite after his productive rookie debut in the 2008 Hall of Fame game, he has never appeared in regular-season game.

The former University of Hawaii standout quickly achieved cult status after he went 9 of 10 for 123 yards and two touchdowns in a 30-16 victory over the Indianapolis Colts at Canton, Ohio. Fans (and some in the media) didn't seem to understand that the Colts mostly had rookies on defense at that point of the game.

If Brennan clears waivers in the next 24 hours, he would be free to sign with any team. "It's just a wait-and-see process right now," he said, "but it's definitely a bummer because I was definitely looking forward to making a home here. I definitely love the area, and I can't say enough about how good the fans have been to me."

By Jason Reid  |  August 2, 2010; 4:01 PM ET
Categories:  quarterbacks
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kareem Moore making the most of his chance at free safety
Next: Rex Grossman out front in backup QB race

Comments

He was back there to make sure we didn't get beat deep. Thing is, we got beat deep.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 2, 2010 3:54 PM

`

I agree

I think Blatches scheme deserves some fault. I think Landry is an instinctual player. He often gambled and it cost us big time.

Blatche was satisfied with giving up 15-20 yd catches as long as they are not tds. I disagree with giving the offense anything and believe we should attack them.

+ sometimes you have to give credit to the opposing team because they are trying to win also. we sucked

Posted by: Vicc | August 2, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

1) We get the "exit interview" from Colt posted on RI

2) We get the Cooley interview about Colt posted on RI

3) We get some lame poll about Colt on RI

4) Steinberg devotes a week to the aftermath

5) Some columnist - probably Tracee Hamilton - gives us an exposee

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Scratch #1 off the list...

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

AOUCH!!

Posted by: Metdujeu | August 2, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Any word on the VJax trade rumors?

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

They're piling up like cordwood at the base of the Pali.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 2, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Could we handle two blockbuster trades in one day??

Posted by: PlayAction | August 2, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

=

"They never wanted me since early on in camp. They didn't want me playing so badly at the position. Kyle told me I'm a kid who will never make it. Kyles a d!ckhead, and that's the only thing that's really kind of a bummer, because I miss the old coaching staff. They've been really unfair to me and I was beginning to see I wouldn't be around long anyway. But this is a business. They said they would do anything they could to just get rid of me. They told me they think I can't play, so they just wanted to give me an opportunity to get the hell out of football."

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1

I think landry is a spaz with little "field sense," if he gets beat on a double move/beat deep he should be made to finish practice with the second team after running laps. Even a dog can be trained what to chase after and what not to.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 2, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Colt Brennan, Welcome to the UFL!

Posted by: alex35332 | August 2, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 4:09 PM

Scratch #3 off too.
There was a "Should the Redskins have cut Colt" poll on the "Colt Brennan, fan favorite, is cut" article. When I voted, it was 90% yes to 10% no.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 2, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Scratch #1 off the list...

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 4:09 PM

Too funny..lol

Posted by: TWISI | August 2, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 4:09 PM

mol...

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Scratch #3 off too.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 2, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

So 10 people voted, one of them being Kurt shanaman

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Colt is only the 2nd of Vinny's infamous 10 draft picks in 2008 to be sent packing. Durant Brooks went before him.

Still, I'm guessing we'll see a few more additions to that list before the season starts. Among the 'at risk' group: MK12, Rinehart, Tryon and Rob Jackson.

Seems like DT11, Fred Davis, Chris Horton and Kareem Moore are the long term keepers

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 2, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 2, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Like when your dog figures out the fake tennis ball throw. They give you that f_ck you look for trying the fake.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Colt Brennan is now backing up Brett Favre on that Mississippi high school football team.

No word yet on a long term deal.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 2, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas

EXACTLY! Every time Landry gets beat deep, Haslett needs to rub his nose in it.

Problem solved!

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 2, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

You're a great guy Colt. Any team would love to have you as their 3rd QB. It's not you it's us.

lol

Posted by: skinswest | August 2, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cpt55back | August 2, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Any word on the VJax trade rumors?

Posted by: iH8dallas

Here is the skinny on vjax: we ain't gonna get him.

I think much of what we are hearing is based on what ba/ma want to send as a message to players: You can be replaced quickly on a team which looks to be successful, so grow-up a pull your weight or else.

Vjax is an expensive player with problems who is not really on the trading block either. Forget him unless there is an injury to say santana moss.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 2, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

No word yet on a long term deal.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 2, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

No comment yet from the incumbent starter, as he is at the DMV getting his driver's license.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

"It had nothing to do with my play," Brennan said. "To be honest with you, it was never a situation with me playing and how I did."

LOL! The football version of being told "It's not you, it's me."

Whatever you gotta tell yourself, Colt, to feel better. LOL.

Posted by: nojunk4me | August 2, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

"I can't say enough about how good the fans have been to me."

Far more than you deserved too, Colt.

Enjoy your stint in the UFL. They're always looking for a few not-so-good former NFLers...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

cpt55, it ain't like Colt was bagging groceries at the Safeway.

Dude went to school, got a degree, played for an NFL team.

I will not cry for Colt because Colt will be fine. More than likely he'll land on someones practice squad.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 2, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 2, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Not to mention he made alot of money to do nothing.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Plus he banked 680K for 2 seasons of holding a clipboard and being on IR.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | August 2, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

An observation: When someone says "to be honest with you"...here comes a lie. And what, to this point you've been less than honest?

A prediction: In ten years, when Colt owns an insurance agency in Hawaii, today's conversation with his pal Kyle will have transformed into "You're too good for us Colt. Our clipboard doesn't deserve you".

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 2, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Colt 2 da UFL Virginia team, Doug Willaims get on it!

Posted by: alex35332 | August 2, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas

EXACTLY! Every time Landry gets beat deep, Haslett needs to rub his nose in it.

Problem solved!

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 2, 2010 4:29 PM

This could work! I think Steve Jackson may need an assistant(s)

Posted by: craig81 | August 2, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

CUT of COLT, LOL!

Posted by: BMACattack | August 2, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

It wasn't so much that "Fans (and some in the media) didn't seem to understand that the Colts mostly had rookies on defense at that point of the game". I think most people understood that. The point was that the Redskins were fielding the same - unproven rookies including the QB - and the QB lit up the other team. No one wanted him to start, but he looked top of the class (of unproven rookies). So slow your roll Jason.

Posted by: rgm34 | August 2, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Colt will now disappear into his Mom's basement and do bongs of Kona Gold in his blacklight poster bedroom..

Posted by: frak | August 2, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

moooooooooooove along... new thread explaining how Rex is the next big thing at backup QB.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

"All football aside It sucks when someone losses their job especially during economic times like these I really do hope he gets a job somewhere"

Dude made almost 700k the last two years. I doubt if he'll be applying for welfare anytime soon.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | August 2, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Obviously he didn't watch film of himself last preseason. He and Brooks were two of the worst 6th round picks ever for a team that needed OL and DL. Hope Colt has a successful career in the Arena League where he belongs.

Posted by: virtueandvice | August 2, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

I love how some bloggers write as if they had actually gone to all of the practices and saw Colt play. How do any of us know how many reps the QBs get, or how that is determined, other than by just surmising it? A lot of football decisions are based on guesswork, familiarity, and luck.

I guess it just makes some people feel important to denigrate a pro QB on a blog. We also saw this with Jason Campbell.

What I find strange is that you don't really see this kind of thing on some other team's blogs- like the Cowboys- even when they aren't playing well; their fans tend to put down either the coaches or the opponents (especially the Redskins) instead.

Posted by: supattapone | August 2, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Now, 60% of the Campbell Haters just lost their reason for hating. Colt is GONE, boys! How ya like DEM apples?

AAAAA HAAAA.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 2, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Colt can play in this league. The fact that Jason Reid doesn't think so, only proves my point. A new regime is not going to invest in the old regimes projects. Not wrong, just the way it is. I hope the kid catches on somewhere. Stop with the JC stuff, Colt had nothing to do with his inability to process information at game speed.

Posted by: elderdave1 | August 2, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

"It had nothing to do with my play; To be honest with you, it was never a situation with me playing and how I did."

---

Typical Colt denial.

"Honest?" "Nothing to do with your play?"

Brennan wouldn't know 'honest' if it flattened him like roadkill.

So what could "it" be?

Could "it" be your unrepentant unpunished conviction as a finger-rapist who had his verdict (guilty) vacated because the (female) judge was a (Colorado) Buff fan who found you beyond cute, declaring how rape without semen is no rape at all, i.e., just another she-said he-said?

Could "it" be your escape to Hawaii where you found refuge as a Warrior god-dess under a coed-molesting coach (June Jones) who shared a similar disregard for campus females, treating the (women's) volleyball team like a personal harem and sisters of star players (Timmy Chang) like backseat blowup dolls?

Could "it" be Hawaii's insulated, isolated, indifference to sleaze like you given a state full of wannabees still clinging to memories of the almost-perfect season (2007) and thus, still willing to adopt a would-be sex offender into their homes?

To be sure, perps like you will always find some suc.. err-- team willing to look at your almost Heisman spread-numbers.

It's the 2nd, 3rd, 4th looks that usually reveal the sick, weak self-absorbed little puppy hiding beneath your cuddle-me smile.

The same sick, self-absorbed little puppy caught by cameras on the sidelines bawling in self-pity during the waning moments of Hawaii's Sugar Bowl comeuppance v. Georgia while his replacement led pseudo-Warrior teammates to their one & only TD.

"To be honest with you?" You deserve more than 1 cut.

A thousand, give or take, is a start.

Posted by: pryvasee | August 2, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Here's some MORE JC Stuff for you, elder(oldfart)dave...

Colt SUCKS.

How about THAT?! Two hip replacements and a knee scope in 2 years with Zero starts...

Yeah, he can play, alright. If only he could stay out of the hospital.

Maybe you can "process" this, at your advanced age:

JC makes TEN TIMES what Cult Brennan makes. (Stay with me, now, Oldtimer) I say, that is a deal, because he's at least TWENTY TIMES the QB that Cult is.

Facts tell ya, right? Just like your "scouting report" on JC's stupidity. Read em and weep, Old Man. Proof is in the Pudding, and your pudding is full of APPLES.

And I'll tell you this, too, if you're still awake:

Anybody who knows ANYTHING about football knows we should have kept Chase Daniels over Cult LAST year. I mean, if you can't beat out Jimmy Bartell, you need to find another sport.

Might I suggest surfing.

And take all your old, burned-out fans with you.

Face.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 2, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Not that I want to see anyone lose his/her job but it is good news to finally see Colt gone. The guy just didn't have NFL smarts. He made terrible decisions with the ball and never seemed to get that. Even his quotes here are full of denial. He had a good first camp (risks paid off) but was horrid last year. So long Colt.

Posted by: calhokie | August 3, 2010 1:36 AM | Report abuse

This is a Great day. Colt get's cut by the skins. Thank God! When the skins drafted Colt it was a sad day for me as I knew this organization never had a clue.

The fact that they hired Shanahan seconds the motion. Look back...skins and shanahan got a terrible history w/ QB's. I mean Elway had to play around him. Look at his history. Shanahan in Chokeland, insisted on starting Beurlein, Schroeder (another F#@$ uped skin and actually he was a better catcher than QB), got lucky with Elway (despite the fact that he hated shanny, but still... Elway never had stats), then goes out and get's Plummer. Jake the Snake? Not. Weak. Next move he drafts Cutler and he's gone after one year?

shan got no clue on the passing game. You guys think McFrys, I mean McNabb is the answer? Guess again. There ain't no Rod Smith or Ed McCafferey. You got even weaker wideouts like Santana Moss and Joey Gallaway? Hey if any you play fantasy, can you say WR3? Cause ther sure ain't any WR1. But the real deal is Mcnabb has had many chances with Philly, and he always chokes.

Interesting that in most FF Leagues McNabb is like the 12th or 13th QB. Everyone know he sucks.

Interesting that shan is known for RB. Portis, LJ, and Willie? Thats ridiculous. Sad that your young guy is Torain.

Do I need to talk about Zorn? Snyder?

Colt should never have been in such a dysfunctional team. Colt was cool by saying all the right things, but the bottomline is that the redskins did a great job of screwing Colt. Glad he got cut and can leave the most screweed up team in the NFL.

Posted by: hilo297 | August 3, 2010 3:07 AM | Report abuse

What all these posts tell me is all my fellow Skins fans don't know what it's like to have a franchise qb in town! It's ok it's only been a few decades! Our back up played in a Superbowl, we are set at qb relax everyone.

Posted by: skins91r | August 3, 2010 3:27 AM | Report abuse

Good luck Colt.. never really got a shot here and that's the shame of it. Of course the Skins put us through two horrible years with Campbell to bad they couldn't give you a little time to see how good you were. But I believe another team will pick you up and they will be better team because of it.

Posted by: sovine08 | August 3, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse