Grossman expected to start against Cardinals

Earlier in the week, Redskins quarterback Rex Grossman, the backup to starter Donovan McNabb, told reporters that he would not play in Thursday's preseason finale at Arizona. Tuesday, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan went in a different direction.

"Rex is taking reps right now," Shanahan said. "We'll see how it goes going up to the game, but we expect him probably to start. But we haven't finalized it yet. Don't expect him to be in long if he does."

Why, Shanahan was asked, would Grossman not know for sure whether he was playing?

"We kind of keep him alive," Shanahan said. "We'll let him know right before."

Grossman said he had spent the week watching film of the Dallas Cowboys, with whom the Redskins open the season on Sept. 12.

"I don't know what's going on," Grossman said. "I play when they tell me."

In three preseason games so far, Grossman is 33 for 55 for 446 yards with two touchdowns and an interception, good for a 90.4 rating.

Even in the event that Grossman does start at Arizona, most of the game will be handled by the pair of quarterbacks competing for a third-string job - if, in fact, the Redskins keep three quarterbacks after final cuts on Saturday. John Beck and Richard Bartel will use Thursday's game to audition not only for Washington, but for other teams who might want to pick up a quarterback who comes on the market.

"We plan on them both playing," Kyle Shanahan said. "They'll both rotate, similar to the second half last week [against the Jets]. We haven't decided exactly what the rotation will be, but we plan both of them will play."

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 31, 2010; 5:00 PM ET
Categories:  quarterbacks
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Strangest cut of all: Hall Davis
Next: Albert Haynesworth figures to see plenty of action vs. Arizona Cardinals

Comments

ummmmm why???????????? don't get this decision, hopefully its just bs to keep rexy focused.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 31, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I think this means McNabb is doing better and will probably play against Dallas, so "risking" Grossman is less of an issue.

So he plays and gets some more reps with the starters.

Posted by: edvar | August 31, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

So the Jints IR'ed WR Sinorice Moss and backup QB Jim Sorgi. Rhett Bomar is now behind Eli Manning.

They also put backup OL Kevin Boothe on the PUP where he'll have to miss a minimum of 6 games. Rook 6th round LB Adrian Tracy also went to season-ending IR along with 3rd round S Chad Jones, who has been there for a while.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 31, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, the Iggles sent 5th round DE Ricky Sapp to IR & picked up a replacement off the waiver wire from the Texans.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 31, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

No signs of Gasface aka d0ucheface today?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 31, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Slightly off-topic question: does anyone know if players on IR game their regular pay each week of the season?

Posted by: skinsfan713 | August 31, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hapster | August 31, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

No signs of Gasface aka d0ucheface today?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 31, 2010 5:39 PM |

His mom put him down for a nap. He'll probably be up later.

Which would be a darn shame...

Posted by: edvar | August 31, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

You can bet Arizona is real scared now... RG8 is starting for the Redskins.

Word on the street is they've just put in a call to Dancing with the Stars begging Warner to come back... if only for just this game against Tyranadorkus Rexy.

Posted by: Vic1 | August 31, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I meant do players on IR "earn" their regular paychecks....typo.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | August 31, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I meant do players on IR "earn" their regular paychecks....typo.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | August 31, 2010 5:53 PM

Posted by: beep-beep | August 31, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

"It makes more sense to free up a roster spot and put either Bartel or Beck on the practice squad. Is either of them ineligible for PS duty?"

John Beck has had significant time as a starter for the dolphins, so I'd think he wasn't P-squad eligible.

And I'm thinking that Rex is playing Thursday nite to stay sharp should D Mac's ankle sprain be something more than just another 'misdiagnosed' injury like Kelly's and AH's was.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

On the "Strangest cut of all: Hall Davis", it makes more sense when you step back and look at it. Because the trade of Morris (TE) for a conditional pick and Hall Davis for a conditional pick happened at around the same time, here is was I think went down. StL needs receiving options, so I suspect they wanted Morris and were willing to give up a conditional pick for him, but only if we took Hall Davis off their hands for a conditional pick. The "Insider" still has not elaborated on the terms of the deal (i.e., what pick, and what conditions) but I am willing to bet that it was probably for a 7th rounder (in both instances) and probably conditioned upon the players making the 53 man roster. If so, it makes perfect sense. We get StL's seventh (assuming they keep Morris) and get to keep our seventh by cutting Davis.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | August 31, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I meant do players on IR "earn" their regular paychecks....typo.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | August 31, 2010 5:53 PM

Posted by: beep-beep | August 31, 2010 6:07 PM

This is a wonderful post, which manages to be clear, concise, and authoritative all in a single word. Absence of confusion, abundance of honesty, generosity of spirit, and integrity of the name are what set beep-beep and myself apart from anonymous idiots such as MrMoe and RedDMV.

Posted by: league_source | August 31, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what is really up with these doctors/trainers.

Seriously..."headaches"?..."pulled hamstring"?

WTH

You'd think with all their learning/experience they'd be able to diagnose simple ailments like MK's "fragile-arsed-pu$$y-trying-to-play-pro ball", and AH's "lazy-fat-arse-huffing-on-a-hot-day".

Posted by: p1funk | August 31, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 6:20 PM

I actually think they are playing Rex because they are confident McNabb will be ready for Dallas. If they were concerned about McNabb, I don't think they would risk the injury to Grossman.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | August 31, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 31, 2010 6:07 PM

Posted by: league_source | August 31, 2010 6:28 PM

I don't agree with you. I hate beep-beep. He's a big meanie and I wish he would stop posting up here.

Posted by: Chia-Pet | August 31, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping that Patrick Crayton or Brandon Stokely get cut.

Posted by: nfcBEaST | August 31, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

At least HokiesSkin is the real thing. Sheesh!

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 31, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

league_full of sh!t

"...anonymous idiots such as MrMoe and RedDMV."

You calling me an 'idiot' is kinda something like being called arrogant by Kanye West.

I'll keep you in mind the next time they have a Labor Day telethon to raise money to help gutless azzholes.

I figure, if that's where you eat, I'll send in as much money as possible so you have a place to eat.

And you can start with mine.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I was saying mcNabb would play against Dallas all along.

A play action fake on the media by Shanahan.

Well done, well done indeed.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 31, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

league_full of sh!t

"...anonymous idiots such as MrMoe and RedDMV."

And you can start with mine.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 6:36 PM

No, Moe, it's like being called an idiot by one of Chia Pet's sock puppets. Big difference between League_Source and Chia Pet's puppet, league-source. Chia's also working a couple of other look-alike names up here.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 31, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Poop in pants.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 31, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 31, 2010 6:42 PM

That hurts my feelings. I don't have nearly as many sock puppets as you think. And, anyway, what business is it of yours?

Posted by: Chia-Pet | August 31, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

"Here's hoping that Patrick Crayton or Brandon Stokely get cut."

If that happens, I'd want Stokely.

Nothing against Crayton, mind you.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 31, 2010 6:42 PM

This is very true and your evil legions of sock clowns are rampant. But deep down inside, everyone must agree that the Moe-ron is an idiot for taking the bait once again, n'est-ce pas?

Posted by: Chihuahua_Pet | August 31, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

DUDEZ! IZ THIS THANG ON? SMELZZ LIK POOP IN HERE!!

Posted by: rob_in_MD | August 31, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HokiesSkins

That is pretty much what I said, see my post in the previous article about Davis getting cut.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 31, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

This might help clarify.

The trade as is was reported:

Washington gets:
Hall Davis (who the skins were going to cut anyway)
+one pick (contingent)

Rams get:
Dennis Morris
+one pick (contingent)

Possible strategy for the skins:

Washington cuts Davis thus nullifying the pick proffered the Rams because he is not on the roster.

Result:

Washington
+ one pick

Rams:
Dennis Morris

Explanation: Instead of simply offering the Rams Dennis Morris for a pick (which the Rams weren't going for), they saw one of two possibilities for additional value over simply cutting Morris.

1) The Rams seemed unwilling to trade for Morris by giving up one of their picks, so the skins packaged a deal in which the Rams believed they would get a pick in return. The skins then cut Hall which took the pick away from the Rams, thus netting a pick for the skins via the roster clause.

2) There is some advantage to releasing a player and picking him up again off waivers that I am unaware of.

Or perhaps the redskins are simply disorganized.

Additional potential influences:
The Mk situation could have made some kind of a difference. With Mk out, perhaps the redskins have now allocated two roster spots for receivers given the belief that Mk would have filled a role, as the third or fourth receiver, in which key aspects of the offense were pinned to MK's participation. Now without mk, ability to bring in two receivers became necessary to compensate for all the projected uses of Mk in Shannys offense. The extra roster spot was cleared by cutting Davis. This one is a longshot.

Still, we have no idea until the coaches tell us why, so...

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 31, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

If grossman plays mcnabb is fine.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 31, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

You can bet Arizona is real scared now... RG8 is starting for the Redskins.

PLEASE! How much you wanna bet the Cards wished they had Grossman instead of Leinart? At least Rexy has done SOMEthing in this league.

Posted by: Predator48 | August 31, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Here are the 'big names' that Don Banks of SI thinks will not make it to the regular season:

Willie Parker, Skins
Deion Branch, Seattle
Brandon Stokely, Denver
Chris Simms, Titans
Kris Brown, Houston
Sam Hurd, Dallas
Pat White, Miami

Posted by: Samson151 | August 31, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 31, 2010 7:13 PM

This is another brilliant post from one of the finest up here. About time we had some real insider knowledge.

Posted by: league_source | August 31, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 31, 2010 7:20 PM

Leave the football commentary for monkeys who know better.

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 31, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

He's a big meanie and I wish he would stop posting up here.

Posted by: Chia-Pet | August 31, 2010 6:34 PM |

HA! Don't be so harsh Chia. This sh!t was funny.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 31, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 31, 2010 7:13 PM

So, instead of just letting Morris go, in essence we let him go and potentially get a frickin draft pick. Genius!

This after getting a QB for another guy due to be cut.

Far from disorganized, I'd say. We're the ones doing the fleecing these days...feels good!

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 31, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

So now NE has placed CB Leigh Bodden on IR as well. That means their top draft choice McCourty will play a lot, as will last season's number two, Darius Butler.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 31, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Now I would have been really impressed if Shanahan had traded Hall Davis for a 7th round pick.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 31, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 31, 2010 7:56 PM

Do you wish that Shanahan had traded Hall Davis for a 7th round pick?

Posted by: ELIZA_1966 | August 31, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: league_source | August 31, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Seems to be a typo here. It should read "beep-beep/myself/league_source".

Posted by: frediefritz | August 31, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Please go on.

Posted by: bandofwhom | August 31, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

No signs of Gasface aka d0ucheface today?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 31, 2010 5:39 PM |

His mom put him down for a nap. He'll probably be up later.

Which would be a darn shame...

Posted by: edvar | August 31, 2010 5:49 PM |

Ouch! Double ouch!! That was a real zinder dude. I should have never gotten into a flame war with you. I am so overmatched.

Posted by: GasFace | August 31, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

No signs of Gasface aka d0ucheface today?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 31, 2010 5:39 PM |

Crissakes pal. You're in no postion to be mocking screen names. After all, with a scream name like urine everybody knows any post of urine is FOS before you even make a keystroke.

Posted by: GasFace | August 31, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Chihuahua_Pet

All I can say is that little dogs have little dicks, and you have your own small one to gnaw one.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 31, 2010 7:33 PM |

Dude - how about some "tard and taint talk" patter?

Posted by: GasFace | August 31, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

samson151

"The other name he mentions is Colt McCoy, who might stick in Cleveland even though he doesn't deserve it..."

So he gets to stay on the team even if he doesn't have the skill.

Must be something about the name 'Colt' that makes folks think he can play.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

big RI peeps draft tonight

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 31, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 8:33 PM |

And all I can say 2 u is CHOMP! CHOMP! CHOMP!

Posted by: GasFace | August 31, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: league_source | August 31, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Seems to be a typo here. It should read "beep-beep/myself/league_source".

Posted by: frediefritz | August 31, 2010 8:05 PM

No, frediefritz, it should have read "chia pet/myself/league-source." When I posted up here I posted as League_Source.

I know League_Source. League_Source was a friend of mine. And league-source is no League_Source.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 31, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Stokely would be a nice fit. He already knows this offense and having a white possession receiver seems to be trendy these days. See Welker, Edelman, Walter, Curtis, Hartline. Sh*t, Stokely was the original. This would be a great addition.

Posted by: FedorEm | August 31, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Forgot about Austin Collie.

Posted by: FedorEm | August 31, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Moss
Galloway
Thomas
Armstrong
Austin
Williams

Kelly IR
Banks PS

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 30, 2010 8:23 PM

I'll stick with my prediction from yesterday. No way Austin and Banks both make it and I give the edge to Austin based on WR ability and ball protection. They are essentially the same player and can only be used as KR/PR and can't help on coverage.

As far as the possible new FAs

Deion Branch, Seattle- No way. He's 5'9, 31 yrs old, has never had 80 catches, a 1000 yds, or scored more than 5 TDS in a season. Still can't believe the hawks gave up a 1st for this midget.

Brandon Stokely, Denver: NO 34, and had 19 rec last year. Solid career for the 5'10 overachiever, but he's finished.

Sam Hurd, Dallas- No Dallas players unless their names are Jay Ratliff, Demarcus Ware, or Andre Gurode

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 31, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I think Banks makes this team. We need any spark we can get.

Posted by: FedorEm | August 31, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

"Sh*t, Stokely was the original. This would be a great addition."

Fred Biletnikoff was the original 'white' receiver playing opposite the 'black' Cliff Branch.

Ed McCaffey (opposite Rod Smith) and Chris Collingsworth (opposite Issac Bruce) also fit the bill.

The 'boys had Golden Richards (opposite Drew Pearson).

Back in the day, you had guys like Jack "Snow" White, Don Maynard, and Don Hudson.

The 'white' receiver has always been there.

The skins are the one team that never possessed a good one.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

I think Banks makes this team. We need any spark we can get.

Posted by: FedorEm | August 31, 2010 8:49 PM

He has the game breaking speed, but only time will tell. I feel sorry for MK still, shanny see's something in his talent that kept him around.

Posted by: skinswillwin | August 31, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 31, 2010 8:46 PM |

Unfortunately I disagree on this one. I hate Dallas as much or more than anyone but a 6'3" receiver we don't have. I know he ain't stellar but he can help our team. Especially against the Dallas Dbags.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 31, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Moe ur right. We have never had a good one. I think we need to look at every option open to us at WR.

Posted by: FedorEm | August 31, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

"Sh*t, Stokely was the original. This would be a great addition."

The 'boys had Golden Richards (opposite Drew Pearson).

The 'white' receiver has always been there.

The skins are the one team that never possessed a good one.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 8:56 PM

How could you possibly forget Zoron's good buddy Steve Largent while mentioning white receivers?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 31, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | August 31, 2010 9:01 PM

We've never had a good one? What, a white WR? We need a white WR? WTF are you talking about?

BTW, You've been exposed as a fighter, you continue to duck the real Heavyweights and you tap against a guy outside of the top 20 in his weight class. It's over.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 31, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 31, 2010 9:08 PM |

Yep

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 31, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Pending Thursday's game, I still say there's a pretty good chance Austin makes the active squad and Banks is on Practice.

Here's the reasoning. Austin is 5'11" 170. He's had a very good preseason and has some real potential, especially as a returner. He wouldn't last long on the PS.

Banks, fumbles and has had a pretty good preseason. He's listed at 5'7" 150. What team will guarantee a roster spot for an unproven tiny guy like Banks? Meanwhile he can muscle up (some), learn to hang onto the ball, and be ready when Austin gets hurt.

Posted by: TheCork | August 31, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

GasFace = AssFace

Do yourself a favor and leave the board.

Posted by: hessone | August 31, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

The 'white' receiver has always been there.

The skins are the one team that never possessed a good one.

Posted by: MistaMoe

And, yeah, njo pun intended, y'all, so don't got there..

Posted by: TheCork | August 31, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 31, 2010 8:59 PM

Hurd is another guy that doesn't play special teams, not to mention he only has 31 catches in 3 years. Is he better than our potential #4-#6 WRs, maybe, but those guys have to be able to play on teams.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 31, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 31, 2010 9:25 PM |

True. Just not real impressed with anyone not named Santana or Anthony at this point.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 31, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

scamp- agreed. Outside of Moss, the opposing D doesn't have to gameplan for anyone and CP can look forward to 8 men in the box.

Much like gasface's sister.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 31, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I see jreid's confusion level is mounting.

In other news, the sun reportedly did rise in the east this morning.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 31, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

GasFace = AssFace

Do yourself a favor and leave the board.

Posted by: hessone | August 31, 2010 9:22 PM |

I will. There's no hope for me being able to withstand the withering retorts and searing flames of your posts and those of EDvar. Cheers.

Posted by: GasFace | August 31, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I see jreid's confusion level is mounting.

In other news, the sun reportedly did rise in the east this morning.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 31, 2010 9:41 PM

Late hit out of bounds. This post was by J Reid's apprentice, Barry Svrluga. Although your statement is probably true, anyway.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 31, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Rexy's playing in this game is gonna make me stay up any later than usual to watch him. Scamp, Nate, all you other west-coasters, have fun with it. Let me know how he does.

Diesel, I'm not so sure about the lack of weapons. I'm convinced/hoping/smoking crack thinking DM5 is going to make some of these guys look like, oh I don't know, DJackson. He alone could keep that extra safety in check.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 31, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Much like gasface's sister.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 31, 2010 9:36 PM |

Hey, I don't know what it is that inspires such clever, witty posts. He'stheone suggested I leave but mebbe I should hang around and be a muse for all the killshot artists that hang out here.

Posted by: GasFace | August 31, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Guess the heir apparent isn't on the roster then.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 31, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Fedor is done. If I could switch my name on here I would. Change it to Shane Carwin, cause next time he fights Brock he will finish what he started.

Posted by: FedorEm | August 31, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Ilike haynesworth better at nt on 2 plays last week at DE he push 2 people back but it left a hole 4 the running back or QB to step up in. We he does that at NT he pushed them right into the QB collapsing the pocket. What yall think????

Posted by: labpatti | August 31, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: labpatti | August 31, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

theCork

"I assume you mean white "wide" receiver. Otherwise, the 'skins had one of the best in Jerry Smith."

Jerry Smith was a tight end.

We're talkin' 'bout crafty white wide receivers.

And, if you account for the attributes of same--slow, but a solid route runner with the great hands needed to be a skilled possession receiver--doesn't Art Monk count?

Oooooops: I forgot the whole racial part.

Perhaps we all should.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

If I have to choose between T.Austin and B.Banks, I'll choose T.Austin, why? They both have the same 40 time, between 4.25 and 4.4 which is lightning fast, but T.Austin is bigger. Simple!

Posted by: abxinc | August 31, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

from Wikipedia,

Regarding Jerry Smith:

Gerald "Jerry" Sanford Smith (July 19, 1943 – October 15, 1986) was a professional American football tight end for the National Football League's Washington Redskins from 1965–1977.

Playing for Otto Graham and George Allen's Redskins, Smith had a stellar career. He played in the 1973 Super Bowl VII, and Sports Illustrated called him "an outstanding receiver among tight ends, with the ability to break open for a long gain." In his career Smith caught 421 passes, including 60 touchdowns, a record for tight ends at the time. He was named All-Pro twice and held several NFL records that stood for years.

Smith died of AIDS on October 15, 1986. He was the first former professional athlete to die of the disease. Although he acknowledged that he had AIDS, he never publicly acknowledged his homosexual activities. Smith's sexuality was confirmed after his death by a former teammate, pro NFL football player David Kopay, who had come out of the closet years earlier.

Let the bad jokes begin: the white redskin tight end died of AIDS contracted in homosexual sex.

Wow: this isn't even funny.

Or is it?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 31, 2010 9:53 PM |

The real question is how is KS going to game plan for Ware.

1. Can't have him running wild the way Suggs did. Was it Suggs that tweaked DM's ankle?
2. DM won't be as agile in the pocket because of his gimpy ankle.
3. Extra protection for DM means fewer and more tightly covered tagets for him to throw to.

Posted by: GasFace | August 31, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

FedorEm- I may beat you to the ShaneCarwin handle. Not only was he dominating Lesnar and then gassed out but he's a mechanical engineer. Which may explain why he gassed out, tough to hold down a fulltime job and train at an elite level.

Or we could stick with our handles and not join the rest of the sock puppets of RI.

Which reminds me...GasFace, I have more respect for the last sh!t I took than your contributions to this blog. Feel free to add anything close to intelligent, insightful, or remotely funny to any discussion.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 31, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

HEY whens the hbo hardknocks w/ skinz???

Posted by: RoguePancakes | August 31, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Rumor is Carwin is going to train full time. Watch out if thats the case. And I was being funny about the white receiver thing. Just like being a left handed pitcher, white receivers have to be "crafty"!

Posted by: FedorEm | August 31, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 10:09 PM |

How did Magic Johnson contract AIDS? From a terlet seat?

Posted by: GasFace | August 31, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GasFace | August 31, 2010 10:14 PM

Maybe there is hope for you.

Anytime you have to go to max protect than that limits your options in the pass game. It's going to be a tough matchup for TW and I would expect help from CC, FD, & CP. Hopefully MS is sandbagging and DM5 is closer to being healthy than they are leading on.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 31, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

The real question is how is KS going to game plan for Ware.

2. DM won't be as agile in the pocket because of his gimpy ankle.

Posted by: GasFace | August 31, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

What you're describing sounds like a gimpy DM5=Brunell in a Gibbs offense. Max protect with two out in routes.

I wouldn't read too much into the Oline performance against the Ravens. With actual scheme and real blocking assignments I think we'll be alright and not have to raid the playbook of the 1980s. I admit I'm curious and excited to see what he rolls out.

Ware will always be dangerous, but I also don't think DM5 is going to be all the gimpy.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 31, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

there, their, they're
you, your, you're
than, then

for those grammar, grammer cops out there.

My bad.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 31, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 31, 2010 10:25 PM |

RLB - let's sure hope so. Because a fully sound (and maybe even a not so fully sound) DM could do a lot of damage to the Dallas secondary, DJax or no DJax. And I am sure he remembers the last two Dallas games and would like to do something to erase those unpleasant memories.

Posted by: GasFace | August 31, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Diesel, this guy actually does a good job of helping me remember the right usage, I actually have gone back to it when I'm not sure. Even if you never use it it's a good read...

"lose=opposite of win. Loose=opposite of tight. Pretend the extra "O" is a hemorrhoid on the word. And hemorrhoids are never tight.

Dude A: 'Man, I've got the worst hemorrhoid.'
Dude B: 'Tight, bro!'"

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 31, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

"How did Magic Johnson contract AIDS? From a terlet seat?"

The leading theory is that Magic's johnson contracted HIV from saliva found in league_source's mouth.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

"How did Magic Johnson contract AIDS? From a terlet seat?"

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 10:41 P

What makes it funny is that you're sucking GasFace's dick.

Posted by: Chihuahua_Pet | August 31, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Far down the road, but looks like Al Harris and Atari Bigby of the Packers are going to be out for six weeks on PUP. Skins got the Packers week 5.

Posted by: saltine182 | August 31, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GasFace | August 31, 2010 10:37 PM |

Dallas secondary has been suspect for years. This year is no exception. a McNabb on one leg has the ability to expose this. The question becomes can the oline give him enough time to accomplish this. I say yes, this ain't JC or the last year oline. Besides, dude is straight dope rolling out or flushed.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 31, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Rex is not good anyway. Let him get hurt.

Posted by: Gweez | August 31, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Rex is not good anyway. Let him get hurt.

Posted by: Gweez | August 31, 2010 11:23 PM

Gweez loueez................really? I hope you never procreate.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 31, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Rex is not good anyway. Let him get hurt.

Posted by: Gweez | August 31, 2010 11:23 PM

Great call. Because if McNabb does go down, it would be awesome to not have a back up.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | August 31, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

This video is the sh!t. Hope no one takes it the wrong way. Don't phuk with a vet.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 1, 2010 12:04 AM | Report abuse

we trade for then cut a guy within 24 hrs....is Vinny back???

hehe, HTTR

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 1, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

sorry, I've been at a clam bake

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 1, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Rex is not good anyway. Let him get hurt.

Posted by: Gweez | August 31, 2010 11:23 PM

Posted by: HokiesSkins | August 31, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

HAHAHA. Gweez = Vinny on mescaline(peyote?)

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 1, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

How did ESPN give that idiot pierce a job?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 1, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

As in Antonio, who will go in the HOF wearing Burgundy and Gold?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 1, 2010 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Pierce picked the Skins to win the division.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 1, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

As in Antonio.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 1, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

nice pick, Antonio (and ESPN)!! fine analysis! way to put that Arizona education to work!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 1, 2010 12:56 AM | Report abuse

from Wikipedia,

Regarding Jerry Smith:

Wow: this isn't even funny.

Or is it?

Posted by: MistaMoe

Smith's TD record stood for about 30 years. It is a stunning amount of time when you consider how much the game changed from 1972 to 2002. Smith's record was broken by Shannon Sharpe (around 2002?), who finished his career with 62 TDs, just 2 more than Smith -- in 36 more games than Smith. Tony Gonzales has moved past both guys. Smith is still 3rd all-time in TD catches by a TE, and has more TD receptions than ANY tight end in the HOF today.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 1, 2010 5:02 AM | Report abuse

HEY whens the hbo hardknocks w/ skinz???

Posted by: RoguePancakes | August 31, 2010 10:18 PM

Hopefully never...as fun as it would be to watch our guys on the national stage, teams that allow that kind of access during camp are distracted and tend not to have a good season. The time for Hard Knocks would have been when Zorn was here...we had no chance anyway, and his quirkiness would have been good for the show. No chance Shanahan allows this kind of crap in his training camp.

scamp, I saw Pierce on ESPN yesterday...dude was on damn near every studio show yesterday and on each of 'em he was loud and proud predicting the Redskins would win the NFC East. Hope he's right, but I can't help thinking it's the kiss of death...

One interesting stat AP brought up about McNabb though...in his career, DMac plays his best ball in December. That's going to be huge for us, especially if we can put up a solid record going into the stretch run...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2010 5:30 AM | Report abuse

"Grossman expected to start"

Get used to it.