Redskins acquire QB Beck from Ravens

Mike Shanahan might have a history of keeping only two quarterbacks on his roster during the regular season, but with an afternoon trade Monday, he's now carrying five in training camp.

The Redskins acquired fourth-year quarterback John Beck from the Baltimore Ravens Monday in exchange for cornerback Doug Dutch. Beck, listed at 6-foot-2, 215 pounds, is a product of BYU and spent his first two seasons with the Miami Dolphins. He was a second-round draft choice in 2007, and the 40th overall pick -- four picks after Philadelphia's Kevin Kolb. He was the fourth quarterback taken that year.

In 2007, Beck started four games for the Dolphins. He completed 60 of 107 passes for 559 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions. The 28-year-old quarterback was with the Ravens all of last season but did not see any action.

The trade can't be viewed as good news for the quarterbacks deeper on the depth chart. While Donovan McNabb and Rex Grossman opened camp comfortably atop the chart, Colt Brennan and Richard Bartel have been splitting snaps and trying with varying degrees of success to impress coaches.

Dutch, a Michigan product, was in camp with the Redskins last year and spent part of the season on the team's practice squad. He has yet to see any NFL action.

By Rick Maese  |  August 2, 2010; 1:01 PM ET
Categories:  quarterbacks
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Shanahan gives--a little--on Albert Haynesworth
Next: Colt Brennan, fan favorite, is cut

Comments

Fizirst?

Posted by: RedskinsXXVI | August 2, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

bye-bye Cult

Posted by: bhoang888 | August 2, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I have to imagine Brennan and Bartel are outta here.

Then again we only gave up Dutch who was a ghost today on the field.

Posted by: Vicc | August 2, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

By Colt. And to all you Cult of Colt Lovers...HA-HA (say it like Nelson from the Simpsons).

Posted by: finmexican | August 2, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I liked Beck coming out of BYU, I really thought he would win the job in Miami. We basically gave up nothing in exchange for another camp arm and some additional competition for the #2 spot. I think MS will go with 2 QBs on the 53 man roster giving the Skins another WR or DL.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 2, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

John Beck was the fing ish at BYU. Might this spell the end for the Cult of Colt....

Posted by: Stu27 | August 2, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Our starting wide outs
V jackson

S moss

D thomas
Yes me make the move for jackson. Moss has one year left n I doubt hell be resigned. I think we get jackson n still draft a young wr for kyle shanny to groom
Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 2, 2010 1:03 PM

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 2, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - kurt shamananaman....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 2, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone really think that Cult only lost his job this week in camp?

Truth is, he lost it a long time ago...

Was never Shanny's guy... and for all of his BS and bluster, he never did much for anyone else here either.

Hell Week in Arizona probably didn't do much to impress McNabb either.

See ya!!

Posted by: Vic1 | August 2, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Beck saw no action there and he'll see none here either. This isn't news unless Beck has a chance to nudge out Grossman.

Posted by: pgugino | August 2, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I don't know anything about Beck, but I'm fine getting rid of Cult.

Has there been anyone on the Skins who has a bigger "done nothing" - to - "get media coverage" ratio than this guy?

It's annoying.

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Too bad for the 'Colt Contingent'. Wasn't Bartel the name of the doosh-bag QB in that football movie with the Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure/Matrix dude?

I'm still hung up on Ball-sucker's comments.

Well, at least one thing Baldy will never be called is....overrated. He's simply not rated at all. Period. Whether that be as a player or as the bottom-rung sportscaster. Hell, just the fact that Baldy is so familiar with the Redskins over the last few years speaks to where he is on the depth charts for NFL game announcers.

How is it possible that a QB can lead a team to (NFC EAST) division championships 4 CONSECUTIVE YEARS, 5 CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES and 1 SUPER BOWL
and be considered among the most overrated QB's ever????

I am literally sitting here, mouth agape, that some loser, never-was whose last name conjures images of of being kicked in the fellas can be taken seriously.

Baldy? You are an effing joke and you're about as relevant as IH8Dallas' track career and feats of bowel control.

I want to hear you backpeddle and squirm when the 'Skins defeat the Cowgirls on opening night on the arm (and legs) of one Donovan Jamal McNabb.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 2, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Two guys probablly won't make their teams get traded to other teams where they have a better shot.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 2, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

bruce allen vs. vinny night and day

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | August 2, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

It's annoying.

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 1:28 PM

Agreed my fellow Terp. This guy became more popular than .25 pitcher night at The Cellar or a drunk chick at The Vous w/o ever stepping on the field.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 2, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Get lost Colt and take the Cult of Colt with you

Posted by: moseley_brian | August 2, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

who was the QB who made the big throws that put the Pats in a position where their kicker could win the game?

Tom Brady is a first-ballot HOFer. Same for Manning.

Posted by: roscoepcalhounbrownjriii | August 2, 2010 12:36 PM

Never said otherwise. But if Brady were Jesus in cleats as some make him sound, those would be TD drives instead of FGs. Just sayin'...

Not sure what to think about this Beck trade...I seem to remember some of the "experts" predicting big things for him leading up to the draft, so I figure he's got some sort of pedigree. Should be interesting if he's able to come in right away and challenge Colt and Rex...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 2, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I agree that Donovan is the shiz, and we will beat Dallas week 1. But my track/bowel control career is the stuff of legend.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

@Pepper5

I saw the same thing. I think Baldinger was referring to Santana Moss's inability to create space in the open field due to (age, lack of size, or fill in your own reason). He had just finished discussing Santana as being our #1 wideout and said something to the effect of "we know what Santana can do". I took that to mean, McNabb can still throw the 30-yard stingers but needs a receiver who can get better separation.

Posted by: jksesq1 | August 2, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else have a view here? Can McNabb throw accurately 30 yards downfield or not? I haven't seen him enough recently to know.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 2, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Poor Dutch. We hardly knew ye.

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 2, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Seems like each time they've signed someone, it's been after an evaluation of people. Neither Colt nor Bartel really did enough to stand out I guess.

Could this be shanny's young gun to groom for the future???

Very nice to get the 40th overall pick, A QB, for a cb that was not going to make the team. We've gotten some talent for a song this offseason, a welcome change!!!!

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 2, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Beck isn't going to dazzle anyone but he's an upgrade over Colt of Can't and Bartel. I remember seeing him in the preseason with the Ravens last year and getting hurt. I think it is terribly ironic that we're getting a quarterback from the Ravens who was being coached by Jim Zorn. I wonder if Allen and Shanahan talked with Zorn and Zorn said, "Heck, Beck is better than either of those guys that Moron Vinny brought in."

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 2, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Beck is 28?

Is it me or does that feel a little old for a guy drafted in '07?

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 2, 2010 1:43 PM

Colt challenged himself.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Too Bad for Colt. But I'm NOT moving to Provo just to get increased local Redskin coverage.

Probably be an increase in "f&cK the Redskins" sentiment here now, LOL.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 2, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Beck is 28?

Is it me or does that feel a little old for a guy drafted in '07?

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

He is a member of the LDS so he may have gone on a mission at some point. But i am not sure for certain. He started for a least a portion all 4 years in college. PLayed as a true freshman.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 2, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Beck is 28?

Is it me or does that feel a little old for a guy drafted in '07?

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I know right. McNabb is only 5 years older.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 2, 2010 1:47 PM |

Wasn't Beck the QB when the 0 and 13 Phins beat the Ravens??

Posted by: PlayAction | August 2, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 2, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 1:43 PM

In the immortal words of Warren Sapp.....

"Put a jersey on!"

....and for that matter, a Depends undergarment or a butt plug and catheter.

Jesus, I was just about to eat lunch. No beef barley soup today!

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 2, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

This trade is more directed at Grossman. He was brought in to be the backup. Bartel and Brennan were not going to make the team. Grossman is the one who is not impressing anyone. So, will someone please think of a backup quarterback for the Skins? Have any friends or relatives that can play? Anyone?

Posted by: firemetalrat | August 2, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Beck is 28?

Is it me or does that feel a little old for a guy drafted in '07?

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I know right. McNabb is only 5 years older.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 1:55 PM
-------------------------------------------
He went to BYU. I think he spent a year doing mission work.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 2, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 2, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 1:43 PM

In the immortal words of Warren Sapp.....

"Put a jersey on!"

....and for that matter, a Depends undergarment or a butt plug and catheter.

Jesus, I was just about to eat lunch. No beef barley soup today!

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 2, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Beck is 28?

Is it me or does that feel a little old for a guy drafted in '07?

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 1:50 PM |

If I remember correctly, having gone to BYU, it's safe to assume thast he's a Mormon, which means that he has to take either one or two years to do mission work before college.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 2, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Step 1.
Colt Brennan is cut from the Redskins.

Step 2.
Kurt Shanahan sends e-mail to WaPo requesting his WaPo profile be deleted.

Step 3.
Kurt Shanahan assumes new WaPo identity and never speaks of Colt Brennan again.

Step 4.
Rest of RI community never knows that (insert Kurt Shanahan's new WaPO name) used to be Kurt Shanahn.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 2, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 2, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 1:43 PM

In the immortal words of Warren Sapp.....

"Put a jersey on!"

....and for that matter, a Depends undergarment or a butt plug and catheter.

Jesus, I was just about to eat lunch. No beef barley soup today!

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 2, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Sorry forum!

I see my post went out of control.

I think I even heard LaVar Arrington say "Oh no he di-ent."

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 2, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I've seen grossman play......

I'm glad we made this trade

I wanted him gone when I heard the rumors before he was traded

No one can be worse than grosswoman

N I don't need zorn throwing a bean bag at me to kno

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | August 2, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I know right. McNabb is only 5 years older.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 1:55 PM |

Sorry h8 nut I gotta say it. I now envision you as a teenage girl. Those are the only people that use the phrase "I know, right." Of course the inflection at the end is as if the comment was indeed a question.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Colt is GONE per 980
The Cult is DEAD!!!!!

Posted by: Predator48 | August 2, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

He probably went on a mission before or during his time at BYU...you've seen those guys with the black pants and white shirt at your door.

Posted by: pvick79 | August 2, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh emm gee No Punt- The dreaded triple post.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh emm gee No Punt- The dreaded triple post.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 2:10 PM |

Now I'm convinced your teenage daughter has gotten ahold of your RI page.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Beck is 28?

Is it me or does that feel a little old for a guy drafted in '07?

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Played at BYU... probably went on a mission for two years.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 2, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

And Chris Hansen pops out of your closet in 3...2...1.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

A couple comments regarding today's post:

1. Vicc... Nice update from Training Camp... The thing that I am impressed with so far... I keep hearing about us pushing the ball down field & taking chances even if they don't work out. We had such a leash on Campbell & he was afraid to make a negative play.

2. Haynesworth... I know people want to keep bashing the guy, but everyday he has showed up early hoping he could get this test done & for him to run & have to stop shows commitment. He is a Washington Redskin & a very important piece to our defense... Shanahan put him through this test because he questioned his commitment, but I think his opinion is changing.

I never had knee issues in my life & recently I started a rigorous walk that was 1.5 miles but full of hills & deep inclines... I started to over-exert myself by doing it too much (everyday) & my knee ligaments seemed to get a little loose & my knee seemed to be moving around causing discomfort on my meniscus/cartilage... discomfort decreased as I changed to every other day, iced it afterward, & stayed away from one particular hill that really stretched the ligaments due to the incline.

I'm just saying, Haynesworth's biggest assets are the push he gets upfield due to his lower/upper body strength & there is no need to risk his career running these unnecessary sprints. He should be put in a pool if he needs further conditioning to eliminate the stress on his knees.

3. John Beck was a 22 year old freshman at BYU because he did a mission in Portugal from 2000 to 2002... Reason he didn't get drafted til he was 26. I don't see this as goodbye Colt just yet... I think he is just another QB to compete with Colt & Bartel because Dutch wasn't going to make the team anyway. Beck has a better shot. He couldn't start over Cleo Lemon & when he got his chance he failed & Cleo was back in the lineup. So, good QB he is not.

4. F Brian Baldinger! McNabb is gonna have years added to his career because Shanny is going to give him the proper running game he never had. Andy Reid was the flawed individual who always put it on McNabb's back... Dude went to 4 NFC Championships without a #1 WR & he made it to the SB (T.O.)& another Championship (Jackson) when he had a #1 receiver.

Posted by: tony325 | August 2, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

colt is cut...bye bye

Posted by: merajc86 | August 2, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 2, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Damn those were the days.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 2, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Colt. Heard the news on espn980. Hopefully he get's some experience in the UFL or CFL.

Posted by: TWISI | August 2, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

So we can all stop saying he went to BYU so:

Personal
Born in Hayward, Calif. ... parents are Wendell and Julie Beck ... served a Church mission in Lisbon, Portugal (2000-2002) ... communicates fluently in Portuguese ... started playing football at the age of eight ... an Eagle Scout ... father participated in track & field at BYU ... married to Barbara Burke of Ferron, Utah in May, 2004 ... expecting first child Spring, 2007 ... graduated from BYU in December, 2006 (communication studies).

So he may help the transition of any Portuguese or Brazilian players we intend on adding.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 2, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

And Chris Hansen pops out of your closet in 3...2...1.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 2, 2010 2:14 PM |

Who?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

is this guy related to Glenn Beck?

Posted by: GaryRosenthal | August 2, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Wait. The skins made another trade without overpayin in draft picks?

Beck for Dutch (bag of donuts)

Colt/Beck/Bartel = just a battle to carry a clipboard - not much to see here

Posted by: skinswest | August 2, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tony325 | August 2, 2010 2:15 PM

...but he does speak fluent Portuguese...and was an Eagle Scout...that should help at some point this season.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 2, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

ESPN 980 has learned that QB Colt Brennan has been released.
14 minutes ago via Facebook

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 2, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

So Colt was just released.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tony325 | August 2, 2010 2:15 PM

kinda like this?

of course, the knees have atrophied due to lack of conditioning, and have been replaced by vestigial flippers...

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I suppose if nothing else, he will Be Prepared.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 2, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Doc Walker on 980 talking about how Colt should give the CFL or UFL a try. Funny stuff, it oughtta give some humble pie to all the Cult of Cult worshippers who just knew he was the next John Elway.

Posted by: Predator48 | August 2, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I just saw 10-15 locals jumping off the Pali in a fit of despair.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 2, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Colt told reporters on his way out of practice that he's gonzo. Wonder if the Ravens will pick up Colt.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 2, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Well seeing how great Colt is he will surely be picked up, get the starting job and lead a team to Super Bowl victory this year! Right?

Posted by: wstclair | August 2, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Predator48 | August 2, 2010 2:26 PM

will anyone please step up to eat crow?

anyone?

of course we *all* knew he wouldn't last, didn't we...

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

This looks more like an effort by the Ravens to sure up their secondary than a plot to kick out the 3rd & 4th QB spots. The Ravens have been torn up by the injury bug and going to their beltway neighbors for a body to fill spots in a pinch. Other than kickers & QB, there is a huge competition at every spot and now moreso at QB. So we'll see who's the last 3rd QB standing for the skins. So that's a good battle to watch during preseason if there is such a thing in preseason.

Posted by: QSkinzfan | August 2, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 2, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

More popular than a AA battery when Duke comes in town to play.

More popular than Johnny Rhodes's parking his SUV outside of South Campus Dining Hall.

More popular than the clump of woods behind Denton for gardening your own weed.

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Well, we now have this season's Torrence, Mason, Pierce. Ugh.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Gotcha, guys. Beck is 28 b/c he did Mormon missions. Roger.

It could be worse. He could be Chris Weinke who was like 32 when he got drafted.

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Following the Timmy Chang path to professional football. Move over Leigh Torrence Colts coming thru..

Posted by: Stu27 | August 2, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

this SUCKS, shoulda traded Colt for Brady/Moss/Welker and a 1st when we had the chance.....DANG YOU BRUCE ALLEN!!!!

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 2, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if this is a two-for-one scenario with zorn and the ravens, in which they trade for dutch and when colt is released they grab him off of waivers. Apparently, Zorn liked colt.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 2, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Solid move here. A former 2nd round talent for a guy that wouldn't have made the roster anyway? Yes please.

And the added bonus: no more Cult of Colt around here. Thank god.

Posted by: psps23 | August 2, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

update coming in 3... 2... 1...

scratch that.

WaPo is on top of things here.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | August 2, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I just want to take back the Colt statement:

I don't see this as goodbye Colt just yet...

Sorry Colt, I just heard you were cut... He should of never ran his mouth before he ever did anything on the football field. Let your performance speak before you do in the future.

Posted by: tony325 | August 2, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Colt has been cut oficially.

How long before Zorn has him in B-more

Posted by: CheyenneWY | August 2, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Colt got cut.

While I am indifferent about the move, since he is a nobody to me anyways, it is going to be annoying b/c over the next 24 hours or so WaPo is going to have a dozen different posts/stories/angles on it, and you can bet Steinberg will beat it to death.

Why?

Because they need to milk the Cult of Colt cow to get site hits as much as they can.

...all this for a practice squad caliber guy who was IRed last season...

Posted by: p1funk | August 2, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Of course, now the Cult is free to make his way to Oakland to supplant JC8 once and for all...

and minus all of the racism and bigotry that kept him from leading the "redskins" to the promised land.

Posted by: Vic1 | August 2, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

and the beeps

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 2, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

LMMFAO!!! Colt Brennan was released today for John Beck. I know all of the Colt sack swingers are crying right about now. Funny how the same dude many thought should be starting is currently not even on an NFL team. Oh and by the way the QB that ya'll thought he should be replacing has Oakland feeling like they have a chance of being very competitive this year. LOL....SO FUNNY!!!!

Posted by: eazy413 | August 2, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse