Posted at 7:06 PM ET, 02/26/2011

Top QBs Newton, Gabbert face the media

By Mike Jones

INDIANAPOLIS - Quarterbacks Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert continue to own the spotlight at the NFL combine this week at Lucas Oil Stadium, towering over the scene in a manner fitting of their statuesque frames, impressive college accomplishments and franchise-defining potential.

But the two quarterbacks have also commanded so much attention in part because as dramatic a payoff both offer the team that selects them in April's draft, they also each come with significant questions.

Gabbert, the 6-foot-4½, 235-pound junior out of Missouri, took on questions from the media Friday afternoon and did his best to quash concerns that he may struggle to transition to the NFL game because the spread offense he ran for the Tigers was so dramatically different than the pro style system. Gabbert also had to explain why he had chosen not to throw at the combine, dodging the critical eyes of NFL officials, coaches and scouts.

Then on Saturday, Newton - the 6-5, 248-pound star at Auburn -- faced the same spread-to-pros questions, but also had to defend his character regarding a cheating and stolen laptop scandal at the University of Florida as a freshman and answer questions about his father's involvement in his life (Cecil Newton was the subject of an NCAA investigation following allegations that he tried to arrange a $180,000 payment in exchange for his son's college commitment). Cam Newton also had to explain his proclamation earlier this week that he was an "entertainer and an icon," which raised questions about whether or not football was his No. 1 priority.

The grilling Gabbert and Newton experienced came from reporters, and likely wasn't as intense as the private interview sessions with prospective teams each have gone through this weekend, but both escaped unscathed.

Because he knew the questions were coming, Newton went on the offensive right away, opening his podium session with a statement he had written regarding his icon/entertainer claims.

"First and foremost, I understand that my obligation is to be the best possible football player that I can be," he read. "I know and believe that. The recent comments were made during the announcement of my new endorsement partnership [with Under Armour]. I was making the point that I want to be the best possible ambassador for them just like I want to be the best possible ambassador for the team that I am lucky enough to play for. I'm excited to compete this week and you will see me doing everything possible to become the best player that I can be."

Then the questions came, and Newton said his father will remain a key figure in his life, is "just like any other father that wants the best for his son. My father wants to see me succeed in every way possible," and that going through the NCAA investigation - for which the Heisman Trophy winning quarterback received no punishment - made his family closer.

Responding to questions about his character, Newton responded, "My biggest thing is everybody has a learning process they go through, and for me that learning process happened three years ago. The mistakes I made at Florida, the trials and tribulations that I went through at Blinn [Junior] College made me the stronger individual that I am now. I can hold my chin high to the sky say to do it all over again, I could say I wouldn't do it all over again because those mistakes I made at Florida, if the opportunity presents itself, I know I wouldn't do that. Because I know what happens if you do the things I did at Florida."

Newton was further probed about his "mistakes" made at Florida, and satisfied with his original reply, he said, "Sir, I'm letting you know right now, what I did in the past is in the past. My sole focus is this year's combine and I'm not going to entertain anything that's in my past. I'm all about the future. I'm trying to prepare today for my future."

The immediate future consists of going through workouts on Sunday, and the quarterback will complete all of the tasks, including the throwing exercises, which top QB prospects occasionally skip at the combine. Newton said, "I'm a competitor," and explained that he will take every opportunity possible to display his talent to NFL teams.

"I'm just blessed to have this opportunity," Newton said. "As one guy said in one of the meetings, 'The NFL doesn't owe nobody nothing. With Cam Newton, or without, the NFL will be.' I'm just honored to have the opportunity to be here."

Gabbert, meanwhile, said that his decision not to throw was made upon the suggestion of his agent, Tom Condon.

"I'm not shying away from competition or anything, but I'm just throwing on my pro day next," said Gabbert, whose pro day will take place at Missouri on March 17. "Tom's philosophy in the past is not throwing at the combine. We have a plan that's set up and I trust him. ... It's been successful in the past. Of course Sam [Bradford] had his injury so he only was going to throw his pro day. But you have other guys: Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford. These guys selected only to throw their pro day and they've been successful doing that."

Concerns over a quarterback transitioning from the spread offense to the NFL stems from how the passer operates out of the shotgun the majority of the time and going off of hot reads, don't have to dissect a defense as much.

But Gabbert feels well prepared both from his time at Missouri and the work he has put in while training in preparation for the draft.

"I wouldn't say the reads are really different. We weren't really a one-side progression offense," Gabbert said. We had about three, four progression reads. Of course the footwork is differing being that he were the shotgun 98 percent of the time, but that's what I've been focused on out in Arizona at Athletes Performance. And it's going well and I haven't had any problems. You see guys like Joe Flacco, Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, Colt McCoy, the list goes on and on of guys that ran the spread offense in college and have played at high levels in the NFL."

Following the combine, the quarterbacks will prepare for their pro days and then individual visits, where they will do their best to answer the questions that will continue to come leading up to the draft.

By Mike Jones  | February 26, 2011; 7:06 PM ET
Categories:  Blaine Gabbert, Cam Newton, quarterbacks
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clinton Portis talks about moving on
Next: Von Miller could fill key need for Redskins -- if he's still available

Comments

"I'm just blessed to have this opportunity," Dee said. "As one guy said in one of the meetings, 'The NFL doesn't owe nobody nothing. With Dee, or without, the NFL will be.' I'm just honored to have the opportunity to post here."

Posted by: NYPDee | February 26, 2011 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait to get my Cam #2 Redskins jersey

Posted by: coparker5 | February 26, 2011 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait to get my Cam #2 Redskins jersey

Posted by: coparker5 | February 26, 2011 7:51 PM

Can DLmen where #2?

Posted by: TWISI | February 26, 2011 7:58 PM | Report abuse

The problem with Cam Newton is you know he has no character and no sense of personal responsibility. He suffers from the Mike Vick disease - he gets a pass because of his on-field performance, but you cannot escape that both men are reprehensible examples of young men. We all know that Cam Newton is where he is because of both HIS and HIS ASSOCIATES conduct which violates every honor code known to respectable universities. Whether it was the cheating, the lying, the deception, the dirty dealing to get him to Auburn, you cannot get past the fact that no regular student would have gotten such a pass.

So long as universities and pro teams allow such questionable characters to get a pass, we will see more of this level of disgusting athletes rather than fewer. The NFL would serve the game of football a great service by allowing Cam to go undrafted and to allow this miscreant to work for league minimum and earn respect.

Cam Newton is not owed any chance to play pro football. What he needs to do is to apologize to every university student in the United States for his pathetic academic conduct and then he needs to face having to earn something instead of cheating to get it.

If this jerk becomes a Redskin, then my respect for this team (already significantly diminished) will be gone and my fan status will read Redskins (1970-2011) and I'll follow my second favorite team the Packers.

Posted by: laserwizard | February 26, 2011 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: laserwizard | February 26, 2011 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Don't draft Mallet. He was immature and arrogant. Really, he was white trash. Book it: he'll be Roethlisberger 2.0 when it comes to criminal accusations.

Posted by: Finnucane | February 26, 2011 8:54 PM | Report abuse

The NFL Combine is little more than a shill for agents to drive up the price on the rookies they represent, but this much we already knew.

It's also apparent that Blaine Gabbert has nice hair and that Tom Condon is astute enough to appreciate the value of not putting out on a first date -- he wants us to take his boy to the prom.

Lastly, we are affirmed in our opinion that Cameron "Cam" Newton and his pimpish dad, taken individually, are about as dooshy as they come.

As part of their quest for sponsorship before achievement, they should be talking to the folks at Dulcolax® -- the worldwide No. 1 selling laxative remedy for constipation relief.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 26, 2011 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Cam's comments that he "Wanna Be A Cowboy", and that he and Jerry Jones are close and talk on the phone regularly, slammed the 20-ft nuclear blast door permanently on that pompous, selfish criminal..If you want the Skins playbook and signals in Jerry Jones hands then draft Sham Newton..

Posted by: frak | February 26, 2011 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia_Pet | February 26, 2011 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Saw this movie's ad on The Weather Channel, and even though my blackheart is filled with nuclear doom and violent images from the Dawn Of The Dead, found it interesting for us 'Mericans-

Posted by: frak | February 26, 2011 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Laserwizard - First of all, you seem like an on-the-fence Redskin fan so allow me to kick your sorry azzz off on the other side of Redskin Park. I'm sure none of us need your Packer azzz representing a Redskin fan so poof be gone!! Second, if you don't think cheating is going on in the NCAA then you are a schmuck and you don't know anything about college football. Don't sit here with this holier than though attitude and act like none of the drafted students athletes don't EVER TAKE HANDOUTS WHEN GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY. There isn't no way Cam is going undrafted and work for a minimum salary to send a message. You sound like those media types that say they were going to protest voting for him during the Heisman trophy process (funny, he still one by a overwhelming majority). Dez Bryant (character), Randy Moss (character), the list goes on and on and what do you propose...every athlete that gets into trouble let the person go undrafted??? You are asking for coaches and GMs to NOT do their jobs? The Ohio State running back had character issues and he tried to change the rule of eligibility (Maurice Clarett) and he STILL was drafted and given a chance to start....

Go ahead an bail on the Skinz...I don't think your ticket to the game will be missed.

Posted by: UHATEME1 | February 26, 2011 9:39 PM | Report abuse

I don't think we'll draft a QB... I think both Shanahan and Allen recognize that if you put a rookie QB behind a shaky line with nobody to throw to and nobody to hand the ball to, you're just going to waste the draft pick.

It's a crying shame that our defense is in even worse shape than that.

Make a sandwich, grab a blanket and settle in, because we're 2-3 years out, and that's only if everything goes great in the next 2-3 years.

Posted by: KellyInBC | February 26, 2011 9:43 PM | Report abuse

"Of course the footwork is differing being that he were the shotgun 98 percent of the time.."
==

First thing Gabbert needs is speech therapy.. or 5th grade English.. or a drug test!

Posted by: iubiquity | February 26, 2011 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I get cam needed his "scripted" notes he tried to read...but the 3rd person remarks are a flag as it is..."well cam would try to be the best...." WTF u played college fb and have the iq of a toddler...Did labron chat with him...

Posted by: skinswillwin | February 26, 2011 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iubiquity | February 26, 2011 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I didnt see gabbert interview, but cams seemed bad..Who knows....Maybe they will be good qb's

Posted by: skinswillwin | February 26, 2011 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iubiquity | February 26, 2011 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait to get my Cam #2 Redskins jersey

Posted by: coparker5 | February 26, 2011 7:51 PM

Can DLmen where #2?

Posted by: TWISI | February 26, 2011 7:58 PM

Yeah, I don't think Cameron Jordan is allowed to wear @2. Maybe 92 though

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2011 10:09 PM | Report abuse

"What will happen is the F-ing Boyz picking at 9 will trade with a team wanting to beat us to the best available QB.. those dcks will gladly oblige! Book it!!

Posted by: iubiquity"

F*** a quarterback in the top 2 rounds this year...I'm leaning towards Fairley, Kerrigan, Phil Taylor or Quinn at 10..But leave it to the "experts" to decide..Maybe they can coax Jim Brown outta retirement..

Posted by: frak | February 26, 2011 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | February 26, 2011 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Co-sign

Posted by: skinswillwin | February 26, 2011 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I don't have any hard evidence, nothing substantial to base this feeling on, but I look at Cam Newton and I see the single year of playing at a high level. I see the character issues and his statements of last week. I look at all of this and the huge amount of hype surrounding him and one person comes to mind. Ryan Leaf. Don't know why...different situations...but just a hunch; just a gut feeling that he MAY turn out to be Ryan Leaf 2.0

Posted by: guitarman050 | February 26, 2011 10:30 PM | Report abuse

F Duke..That is all.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2011 10:59 PM | Report abuse

"Don't know why...different situations...but just a hunch; just a gut feeling that he MAY turn out to be Ryan Leaf 2.0Posted by: guitarman050"

It's easy to forget Leaf developed some serious personal problems of the sort that can derail a career. The type that got Todd Marinovich, almost got Kerry Collins, and may yet snag Vince Young. It wasn't just on-field performance the way it was with Jamarcus Russell.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 26, 2011 11:36 PM | Report abuse

NO, A THOUSAND TIMES NO. NO MIKE VICK WANNA BE.

Makes for an exciting, keep you on the edge of your seat game, but doubt they make the promised land (SB) more than once in their career.

PLEASE NO CAM NEWTONS or any QB's like that.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | February 26, 2011 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | February 26, 2011 9:14 PM |

I hope Buffalo drafts his punk ass and he's stuck in sh!titscoldville playing behind a swiss cheese oline and getting butt raped by giant defensive tackles for his entire career.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 26, 2011 11:59 PM | Report abuse

It wasn't just on-field performance the way it was with Jamarcus Russell.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 26, 2011 11:36 PM |

It wasn't just on the field performance with stay puff Russell either.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 27, 2011 12:01 AM | Report abuse

If we can't get Von Miller from Texas A&M, which seems almost a certainty, then we should use our #10 pick on OLB Akeem Ayers from UCLA to pair up with Orakbo.

Our 2nd round pick should be a no brainer if Phil Taylor from Baylor is available, but I'd be happy with Stephen Paea from Oregon State to shore up our NT need.

Now, if we do trade McNabb for a 2nd round pick as some speculation has indicated, then we should continue reworking the D-Line by going after either Cam Jordan from Cal or Cam Heywood from Ohio State to get a dominate 3-4 DE. If we don't trade McNabb, I'd be ok with having him start next year. A 2nd year in the system may prove to get better results.

Sign Otogwe to get the FS we've needed for some time. Just don't give up the farm for him.

Keep Barnes at CB. It's good to know he's versatile, though.

Resign Rogers, Buchanan, and Moss.

In FA, go after young G/C for depth, a tall, fast #1/2 WR, and a starting quality MLB.

Release/trade Haynesworth, Carter, Jarmon, McIntosh, McNabb (don't release him), and Portis.

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | February 27, 2011 3:37 AM | Report abuse

Ok RI...

So you're perfectly fine with starting Rex Grossman next season or maybe another journeyman veteran QB?

I am also beginning to think we should go defense with the #10 pick. I'm not saying that we should draft Newton or Gabbert, but I hope ya'll don't think we're gonna find the next Tom Brady in the 6th or 7th round.

At some point we're going to have to gamble on a young, DRAFTED QB.

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2011 8:34 AM | Report abuse

"It seems apparent that Shanahan, who inherited a player-personnel mess,.....the key, the assistants said, is getting the defensive front seven set."

Staff writer Barry Svrluga contributed to this report.

I would point out, that this is a mess of his [SHANAHAN's} own making. He inherited a solid 4-3 defense. Rather than have HASLETT and the other coaches deal with the existing system until a couple of the right pieces could be acquired, he threw the players under the bus by switching immediately. His arrogance and impatience alone should bear the responsibility for the unmitigated defensive disaster that befell the team. The jury's still out on Mr.SHANAHAN's coaching and administrative abilities in my book.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 27, 2011 8:53 AM | Report abuse

".....Sign Otogwe to get the FS we've needed for some time. Just don't give up the farm for him....."

I think he wanted the farm and everything on it.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 27, 2011 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 27, 2011 8:53 AM

Ha-ha. A win-now, one-year time horizon guy like you would think this.

Shanahan has a longer time horizon. He's trying to build a long-term winner. You don't build a long term winner by changing defenses every year. You put in your defense, see who can play in it, and then you adjust your personnel.

One of the main problems with the Redskins has been lack of continuity -- new coaches and schemes every year. The Redskins D has one year experience in the new system. Add some players and they'll get better. Change the D again, as you would do, and they're starting over in a new system and you're still not sure which players will do well in it.

And Shanahan's won two super bowls and "jury's still out on his coaching abilities?" I've got a can of redskin peanuts that is smarter than you are.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 27, 2011 9:16 AM | Report abuse

glawrence007...

I agree that the juty is still out on Shanahan but personnaly I will not render a verdict until after year 3...

BUT...I disagree with your argument. This same "solid 4-3 defense" went 4-12. We couldn't create turnovers or stop anyone when it counted. We weren't contenders, so to me it made perfect sense to make the switch to the 3-4 and see what personnel we DO have, then add the pieces that we need. This same 4-3 defense had a 48 million dollar Defensive End who had to be carted off the field every other play.

In my opinion, this team is headed in the right direction, albeit it hasn't showed up in more wins.

Let's talk after year 3.

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2011 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Haven't had time to read comments on CP leaving...but I dobt RI kept it classy.....

Thanks for the good times CP....We rode your back to the playoffs....Zorn's half of a successful season was all you...And you put it all out there on game day.......

Thank you.

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 27, 2011 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Thank you.

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 27, 2011 9:36 AM | Report abuse

At some point we're going to have to gamble on a young, DRAFTED QB.

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2011 8:34 AM

Just a few points:
1. Grossman was a 1st round pick (#22)
2. He was handpicked for the team by the Shanahans
3. Mike Shanahan's history strongly suggests he favors veteran QBs

Cutler was the highest Shanahan ever drafted a QB and, ironically, the Shanahan/Cutler duo never posted a winning record.

Posted by: Alan4 | February 27, 2011 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 27, 2011 9:36 AM |

You don't read the comments, but you have an opinion on them? This is prejudice. Read the opinions. You might learn something.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 27, 2011 9:55 AM | Report abuse

And just to back up my argument regarding SHANAHAN and his abilities, JASNO writes KYLE wanted no part of McNABB saying he didn't fit the system they were trying to install but he was over-ruled by his father who favors veteran q-backs over newbies with no experience.

Nothing you naysayers bring up will change my mind. I always thought less of him than most while he was in DENVER. I always felt JOHN ELWAY was the true reason for his success. And I don't see any 2011 q-back as being in that league. So I say work on the o-line and the front seven on defense, and waste another pick on a q-back. Desperation is not the way to go here MIKE. We need three d-linemen, an OLB opposite ORAKPO, a corner to replace ROGERS [another god's gift to the REDSKINS I've never cared for] and a FS.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 27, 2011 10:11 AM | Report abuse

"[Shanahan] inherited a solid 4-3 defense."

I guess that depends on how you look at it. Shanahan found himself with a defense that struggled to create 1) consistent QB pressure, and 2) turnovers. Pretty difficult to win anything in today's NFL without those. So he went with a different scheme. Going into the season, a number of folks predicted a dropoff in the defensive rankings due to more risk-taking. The results were OK until Landry went down, unsatisfactory afterwards.

They won two more games.

It's always a judgment call when a new coach takes over: how much do you change? How much leave the same? A matter of opinion. IMO if they'd kept the 4-3 I see them winning, oh, six games.

This just wasn't a very good roster to begin with. That's really what is taking so long to repair.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 27, 2011 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Thank you.

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 27, 2011 9:28 AM | Report abuse

That's a 10-4 from me good buddy. You gave it all you had, and that's good enough for me. Best of luck. Here's to one more 1000 yard season. And stone 'um in the backfield. You're tha' man.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 27, 2011 10:16 AM | Report abuse

"You don't read the comments, but you have an opinion on them?"Posted by: beep-beep

Let me point out that it's actually easier that way. Like writing the review before you see the film.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 27, 2011 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 27, 2011 9:36 AM |

Posted by: beep-beep | February 27, 2011 9:55 AM

If I read the comments first, my RI card might have gotten taken away......

Start swingin out the gate, and apologize for any errant hooks later....

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 27, 2011 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I'm saying I don't like SHANAHAN. I don't like his style, the way he thinks, the way he treats people. Am I being clear here.

I don't know the man. I didn't know VINCE LOMBARDI either, and I didn't care for his attitude, "winning is the ONLY thing bs", but I respected his body of work. I can't say that of SHANAHAN.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 27, 2011 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | February 27, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I always felt JOHN ELWAY was the true reason for his success.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 27, 2011 10:11 AM

Good point! John Elway coached that team, not Shanahan. And John Elway had no running game. And we know it was all Elway because Dan Rives rode Elway to so many Super Bowl wins.

Turns out that I have a small dish of redskins peanuts that know more about football than you do. In fact, just the salt on those peanuts is enough.

Posted by: beep-beep | February 27, 2011 10:34 AM | Report abuse

It's just amazing to me that in a draft so weak in QB's - where the top prospects have so many questions surrounding them; where that same draft is so rich in D linemen and game changing DE/OLB's, that we are even entertaining taking QB in round one or two. Especially when our new 3-4 D was sooo bad, and the major culprits were D line and certain LB spots.

Let's turn a weakness into a strength and get the players that give us a crushing D. Given that we already have guys like Landry, D Hall, and Orakpo back there, adding a dominant pass rush will amplify their talent while adding a new game changing element to our D.

Assuming that we are at the VERY least two years away from dominating the NFC East and being a real Superbowl contender. Let's get that side of the ball buttoned up for the foreseeable future.

Posted by: edvar | February 27, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I will say this for those that are against drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd round...

Both the Packers and the Steelers have DOMINANT 3-4 defenses so points to your argument about building the Defense.

BUT

The Steelers and the Packers have only average O-lines.

The Skins need to draft a QB and one they think can get them to the next level in the future. The Grossmans, McNabbs, etc. are ok for now, but they won't win us a Super Bowl.

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2011 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Kaepernick and Mallet look good...they may be around in the 2nd round.

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2011 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2011 10:49 AM

Roge - I agree with both of your points, I'm just not seeing that franchise QB out there that would warrant us passing on some of the amazing talent on D that is out there.

I do like Kaepernick as a prospect, though. Would love to swap back at #1 to pick up a 2nd and 3rd. I'd grab Kaepernick with one of my two's under that scenario. But only two picks before round 5? Gotta go D in my book.

Posted by: edvar | February 27, 2011 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | February 27, 2011 10:48 AM

I can appreciate this line of thinking in the sense that the more elite players you have, the better your chance of being #1. That's true in every sport.

But let's face it, Phillip Rivers is an elite QB who has never sniffed a Super Bowl. His team is holding him back.

Yet the two QBs you called out (McNabb & Grossman) have actually played in recent Super Bowls.

There are many ways to get to a SB besides having an elite QB. Big Ben was not elite at all this year, and his team still nearly carried him to another SB this year.

QBs tend to join the discussion of being elite when their team wins a SB. But don't be fooled, it's a TEAM effort.

Look at how fast McNabb went from a "Pro Bowl, Top 10 NFL QB" to being perceived as a backup quality QB... just by joining a team with too many holes in it.

Chasing an "elite QB" is like chasing a rainbow. John Elway went from "choker" to "legendary" after Terrell Davis joined him in the backfield.

Posted by: Alan4 | February 27, 2011 11:06 AM | Report abuse

PLEASE draft Linemen! O and D PLEASE!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 27, 2011 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I always felt JOHN ELWAY was the true reason for his success.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 27, 2011 10:11 AM

I've always felt that people who say this don't understand the NFL.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 27, 2011 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | February 27, 2011 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Well, Cutler and Shanahan only had 2 full season together as HC and Starter. They went 15-16.

But they did manage to produce the #2 ranked overall offense in their second full year together. #11 in their first full season.

How is it ironic that in 2 years they did not have a winning record?

How many elite QBs come in and have winning records in their first 2 years starting?

The Denver D was awful in those 2 years.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 27, 2011 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | February 27, 2011 10:34 AM

In your effort to defend Shanahan, you are (I suspect unintentionally) diminishing Elway.

Elway and Reeves got to 3 Super Bowls together. Sure they lost them, but on any given Sunday...

Elway is the ONLY QB to have started in 5 Super Bowls, and you've got to give him some credit for getting to all those Super Bowls with 2 different coaches.

Posted by: Alan4 | February 27, 2011 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 27, 2011 9:36 AM |

Posted by: beep-beep | February 27, 2011 9:55 AM

If I read the comments first, my RI card might have gotten taken away......

Start swingin out the gate, and apologize for any errant hooks later....

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 27, 2011 10:21 AM |

______________________________________________

Although 4th floor is widely believed to be a bufoon up here on RI I have to agree with his sentiment on CP. He's been a great Redskins and one of the few bright and exciting spots on this team for quite some time.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 27, 2011 11:38 AM | Report abuse

"....I see the Carolina Panthers are making noise about taking a QB anyway. Let's hope they go for Cam Newton..."

Posted by: Samson151 | February 27, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse

God yes, please see that NEWTON and GABBERT are OFF the board when #10 comes around.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 27, 2011 11:41 AM | Report abuse

gl, looks like you might get your wish:

The Bengals prepare for life without Carson Palmer
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 27, 2011, 11:33 AM EST

The Bengals are preparing for life without Carson Palmer, regardless of whether he spends another season on the team.

In Bengals owner/president Mike Brown’s perfect world, they might draft a replacement for Palmer this year, let the rookie develop one year, and then grant Palmer his wish by letting him go in 2012.

Brown followed the exact same model after Boomer Esiason’s trade request in 1991. The Bengals just hope they pick a better rookie prospect than David Klingler this around.

Geoff Hobson ofBengals.com writes that the Bengals are “clearly shopping in the quarterback” aisle at the Combine. Coach Marvin Lewis is operating as if Palmer is already gone. It’s believed that Brown is sitting in on some of the 15-minute interviews with quarterback prospects.

Brown’s presence says a lot. It says that we shouldn’t be surprised if the Bengals wind up taking Cam Newton of Blaine Gabbert with the No. 4 overall pick.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 27, 2011 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Jake Locker runs a blazing 4.52 in the 40
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 27, 2011, 11:09 AM EST

If Jake Locker can’t improve his passing accuracy, maybe he should move to another position. He’s fast enough to play wide receiver.

Locker ran the 40-yard dash in 4.52 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine this morning, which means he’s faster than just about every quarterback in the NFL and faster than quite a few receivers, running backs and defensive backs as well.

According to the Seattle Times, Locker’s time is the fourth-fastest for a quarterback at the Combine in the last five years.

So we know Locker is really fast. What we don’t know is whether he’s an NFL-quality passer.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 27, 2011 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Locker has had a great combine workout today. Listening to Mayock and Casserly he has really helped himself.

He ran a 4.52 and looked sharp on the passing drills.

Mayock: "I believe in my heart he is a first round franchise QB"

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 27, 2011 11:48 AM | Report abuse

".....The difference...The QB's...Ya'll can spin it anyway you want. The is a passing league and you need an above average, if not elite QB....." rickyroge

Which is why I was chagrin to see ATOGWE leave town. Besides a front seven, this defense needs half a d-backfield. We need an elite WR, one more elite o-lineman, and..........an elite QB. That's why I'm for linemen in this draft. I equate NEWTON and GABBERT with McNABB and GROSSMAN, very good in DONOVAN's case in the past, not so now, but not an ELWAY, BRADY, or P. MANNING ever. I don't think NEWTON or GABBERT will be better than very good over their careers.

Jusr my opinion beep-beep. BTW, I don't think much of you lack of comprehension of football either. Here's some salt for your nuts buddy.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 27, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 27, 2011 11:35 AM

I admire the way you couched your argument. If I ever need a lawyer, you're my guy! But here are the uncouched facts:

Shanahan and Cutler had 3 seasons together, and they went 17-20.

Season 1: Cutler takes over a 7-4 Broncos team because Shanahan pulls Plummer. Cutler goes 2-3 the rest of the way and the Broncos miss the playoffs.

Season 2: The Shanahan/Cutler duo goes 7-9.

Season 3: The Shanahan/Cutler duo goes 8-8.

I say it's ironic because this was a team built from the ground up by Shanahan--he was in charge for 10 full years before he drafted Cutler. It's not like he was rebuilding a crappy team.

The season before Cutler was drafted, the Broncos were 13-3. When Cutler took over, they were 7-4. From there, Shananan/Cutler never posted a winning record.

Isn't it ironic that Shanahan's most successful post-SB team, guided by a journeyman QB, got worse immediately after inserting this highly drafted franchise QB?... and remained that way until both coach and QB were sent packing?

Posted by: Alan4 | February 27, 2011 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | February 27, 2011 10:34 AM

Posted by: Alan4 | February 27, 2011 11:36 AM

So Shanahan turned Jim Kelly into John Elway?

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 27, 2011 12:04 PM | Report abuse

A4...

I do not see it as ironic, because what do you expect from a rookie/new starting QB with a bad defense?

I'd venture a guess that an overall 17-20 record for a QB's first 37 games holds up pretty well against the leagues best QBs over the last 40 years.(Especially because he did not sit for 2-3 years and learn)

I guess I look at this differently because I've lived in Colorado for 12 years now....IE most of the Shanahan tenure, and I can tell you- the offense got exponentially better as Cutler took over.

It was the Defense that made the team worse, not the Shanahan Cutler pairing.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 27, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 27, 2011 12:05 PM

Well, you're making a pretty good case for why this team should be shoring up the defense.

Posted by: Alan4 | February 27, 2011 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | February 27, 2011 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Ha! I guess I am. And hey we finally agree 100% on something!

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | February 27, 2011 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't denver 8-4 in shanny's last season before injuries caused him to start more than just a few rookies which ruined the team?

Posted by: hcicron | February 27, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

NO Newton ,just another Campbell,not again please.need a winner.

Posted by: dcg326 | February 27, 2011 4:21 PM | Report abuse

People as long as big D owns the team the skins win never be winners. let's GO CAP'S They will win a championship long before the skins

Posted by: rclow | March 1, 2011 9:03 PM | Report abuse