Quick Rant Before I Head To Comcast

As always, feel free to pound me about being an idiot via emails to Washington Post Live. I'll be making people cringe from 5-6.

Wanted to wrap up a few thoughts about last week's game before going into look-ahead mode.

I think we all overlooked some kudos to the defense. If they don't keep that game 17-3 (and remember, only 10 of those points came from the Jets offense) the Skins lose. They faced a ridiculously slim margin of victory with a can't score offense, again, and got almost no luv after the game.

They were without two key starters and Smoot had to hit the sidelines again in the fourth quarter and Rocky McIntosh is playing with two bad shoulders and Cornelius Griffin played two plays all day. And, yeah, the Jets are not very good, but most of their games have been competitive and they clearly got a boost from the new QB, and I think the defense got shafted a bit.

Now, Cotchery makes that third-down catch in overtime and it might be a Jets win, so there was some good fortune involved, but nevertheless the defense shut the Jets out for the final 47 minutes of that game, including OT, once NY went ahead 17-3 on the TD with 10 minutes left in the second quarter.

They shut the Jets down until that 4 straight third-down conversions on New York's final drive in regulation. That drive was troubling as the blitz didn't work well, but I think Gregg is taking too much heat in some quarters. They are still striving for a balance between aggression and Cover-2 stuff, but let's not forget that there is an offense here that can't even score 21 points in regulation pretty much ever.

After four years of this stuff, it'll change the psyche and perception a bit, and I think the guy has done a heck of a job keeping his defensive players on board, preventing any sort of revolt. They rarely have a decent lead, the corners can't afford to sit on routes and jump the ball and the inemen can't gamble and cheat and try to jump the count like some other teams and the linebackers can go for that kill shot a time or two without fear of missing. One mistake by the defense; one big play allowed, and that might be lights out, because they can't expect to get points behind them by the offense.

Wanna know why New England and the Colts can do so much upfield stuff on defense? Check the scoreboard. You can play more carefree with that kind of security blanket. Trust me, no one will say it publicly, and kudos to them for not doing it, but everyone on the defensive sideline knew that even a field goal allowed after 17-3 and they're probably 4-4 and facing the end of the world this week between the media schlubs and the fans.

So let's all keep in mind that without the Skins getting a top-10 performance from this defense, this team has 2-3 wins and is jostling for draft position. The quick turnaround by the defensive coaches and players is the single-biggest development for the franchise as it sits at the midpoint as far as I'm concerned.

Okay, time to put the big-boy clothes on and head to Bethesda.

Cheers.

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 6, 2007; 1:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Injuries and Leftover Thoughts
Next: Injuries/Practice (Update)

Comments

Too true. They are overlooked.

Posted by: SeanTizzy2DaHizzy | November 6, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Amen to that!!!

Posted by: rallenii | November 6, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SeanTizzy2DaHizzy | November 6, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Good points. But the defense couldn't get off the field on that last drive that sent the game to OT. A great defense ends that drive.

Considering we spend our top draft pick on a defensive player EVERY YEAR, it's not too much to ask that they stop the lowly Jets on that last drive.

Not saying they're terrible. Not saying their without fault.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | November 6, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't see them as overlooked - they are consistenlty great, ranked amoung the top ten and truly the only reason we ever have anything to crow about in Gibbs 2.0.

I think the only reason no one said much was 1) because of the score, grantedly misleading, but still... that's what people see first. And 1) people were too busy complaining about an offense that racked up almost 300 rushing yards.

That being said - always ready to give love to the players on Grilliams' D'!

Hail!

Posted by: shuttledik | November 6, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Joe - I think they were just playing to stop the touchdown. And I, for one, am glad they did stop it!! ;-]

Posted by: shuttledik | November 6, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah the Ravens really showed a powerful offense the last couple of years.

Posted by: jm220 | November 6, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

This is one of the very best rants you have ever posted here. Thank you!

If the 2006 defense had been carried into 2007, I'm pretty sure the Redskins' record would be 1-7 or worse right now. Williams and the defensive coaches and players have done a remarkable turnaround this year. Kudos to them!

Posted by: tafka | November 6, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

IMHO, I don't think the defense is that good. Any veteran QB can pick them apart. Gwill trying to rush only four gives a qb a lot of extra time. When he blitzes people, they seem to get picked up and no quick pressure seen.

I'm not sold on that defense being good. I agree they stepped up after falling down 7-0, but hey its the one and eight jets.

Our offense is pitiful. Its all on the wideouts, none of them can cut and get open. Or is it the oline not holding the rush long enough. It seems like teams are getting mid range passes against the defenses we're playing - but we can only throw for four or five yards. Our wideouts are injured and can't get seperation. This is a problem, route running.

Posted by: Rando | November 6, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand the post, tafka -

Last years D was supposed to be as good as the 2005 season - even better with the additions of Carter and (gag) Archbingus.

But instead of integrating the players into what could have been a progression of a dominant D, Grilliams bristled at the addition of another Assistant Head Coach, alienated veterans and kinda threw up his hands at the whole affair.

I'm not trying to blame last year on Grilliams, but he didn't help.

Yes, the D has been keeping us afloat this year - but I'm not forgetting last year (as it did rear it's head against the Pats!)

Hail!

Posted by: shuttledik | November 6, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Any veteran QB except for Trent Green, Brett Favre, John Kitna, etc you mean right Rando?

Posted by: SeanTizzy2DaHizzy | November 6, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

shuttledik,

That is true -- they only gave up 3 on that drive. Moreover, they forced the Jets to punt in OT which was arguably the bigger feat.

I'm not willing to put the word "great" in front of our defense. Not after giving up 52. Nope. Sorry. They're a nice defense and they're usually responsible for keeping us in the game. Let's not overdo the hyperbole.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | November 6, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Someone explain to me how someone thinks we are worse than the Lions, Jags, Browns and Saints? Jags gave up 526 yards last game. We beat the Lions by 31 points. I mean come on.

Posted by: SeanTizzy2DaHizzy | November 6, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

SeanTizzy2DaHizzy that is very easy. They don't like The Dan and judge the players base on that.

Posted by: jm220 | November 6, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey, all you new name folks. Please put your old name and your new name on the Wiki, right here:

Thanks, Redcoat, Mark, Cindy for getting it started. (Okay, I did Cindy's). I posted a few new names where I've already forgotten the old names -- ST2DH, RedDMV. You guys go fix it, please. Or leave the information here and I'll take care of it later. Got to go take the kid to soccer practice.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 6, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

We have trouble with mobile QBs. (Is there a team that doesn't?) It seemed like Clemens had a lot of room to run when he got out of the pocket. This will be a concern with McNabb coming to town.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | November 6, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

"Now, Cotchery makes that third-down catch in overtime and it might be a Jets win, so there was some good fortune involved"

Thats BS. Luck has nothing to do with it. On two of the Jets scoring drives (the TD drive and a FG drive) they convertedon third down when tipped passes fell foruitously into the hands of the intended receiver. Take those "lucky" breaks away and the Jets only score 10 pts (7 on the kickoff). Luck almost always evens out.

Posted by: LiberalMike | November 6, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

fortuitously, I mean

Posted by: LiberalMike | November 6, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I generally ignore the so-called power rankings. I mean, Paul Zimmerman has all but come out and expressed outright hatred for Snyder. Just to show how foolish they are, how many of them have us ranked behind Detroit, whom we demolished.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 6, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

One of your best posts! It's absolutely true. The defense has zero room to gamble, and they've held their own. You have to believe that if they could count on the offense for even one more touchdown per game, they could loosen up and see what they were really capable of.

So now I'd like to hear your thoughts on what's up with this offense? Between Saunders, Moss, Portis, Betts, Cooley, Randle El, and now Campbell, we seem to have the pieces to be special. So why does everything seem so soft? It can't all be the line. Something has got to give, or playoffs are meaningless. You can't take this offense in the playoffs with any hope of advancing.

Posted by: jvwright | November 6, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Jason,
Great post. I give Gregg kudos for eating his humble pie after the diastrous blitz-happy 2006 season and adjusting to be more conservative and not give up the big play. I think that his ill-advised cover-0 blitz against the Giants that let Burress get the game-winning TD marked the transition point.

The lame offense no doubt handcuffs the D and keeps them on the field way too long.

Posted by: jessica2 | November 6, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

JLC,

Are you trying to stir up the pot? Sounds like you're trying to create something out of nothing. Do you wish there was a revolt in the Redskins camp so you could increase the voluem of your negative coverage of the team?

"Trust me, no one will say it publicly, and kudos to them for not doing it, but everyone on the defensive sideline knew that even a field goal allowed after 17-3 and they're probably 4-4 and facing the end of the world this week between the media schlubs and the fans."

It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. Why do you have to point out "everyone on the defensive sideline"?

You're just not happy that we won and waiting for something bad to happen to feel vindicated.

Posted by: thor | November 6, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Thor just look at the Ravens and you get your answer. He is hoping the same happens with the Skins lol.

Posted by: jm220 | November 6, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Dang Loseable Type!

I gotta remember to copy my posts before I post 'em.

Does the same thing happen if you preview first?

Posted by: shuttledik | November 6, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Second half of the season keys
1. Griffin is healthy means its tough to run and pocket collapses
2. CBs need to play well, even with Smoot hurting Rogers gone because we have playmakers at safety and give them a little freedom, they can wreak a lot of havoc
3. LBs need to be healthier, can't have both Rocky and Marcus in bad shape
4. Campbell needs to throw earlier and more often to get rhythm with his receivers. Throw deep in the 1st quarter!
6. Santana needs to be the playmaker
7. Campbell needs to throw to his backs
8. McCardell is the possession guy this team needs and is our best WR after Moss and ARE.
9. The o-line needs to stay healthy and when/if Thomas returns, we are much better.
10. Special teams need to be good in close games.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 6, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

JLC,

If you weren't so quick to start hating on the Redskins after the game, then you would have notice a lot positive things on that field Sunday! Glad you bothered.

Something else to notice:

2006 'Skins - 5-11
2007 'Skins - 5-3

Posted by: filmchis | November 6, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

What is the catch of the FG attempt considered in the stats? Is that considered an interception? Fumble? or generic Kick Return? Did not show up in the standard stats (by the way, there were 2 of those on Sunday) Thanks

Posted by: mrspartan | November 6, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I went to wetpaint and signed up. I updated the old/new name. You guys did a great job setting that up. There is some pretty funny SJK on there, lol.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 6, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I just updated mine as well just in case anyone was confused as to what my old name was.

Posted by: bigfish | November 6, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

thor, you got to remember that Jason is media personnel. Drama is what these guys live for.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 6, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

WTF! It's a human octopus!

Posted by: bigfish | November 6, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Talent, for doing that for me!

Posted by: TheCindy | November 6, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

OK let me get this kool-aide rant straight. Redskinettes score in 1st half of Gmen game and get Shut Out in 2nd half and lose, & kool-aide drinkers say they got lazy and Gmen didnt earn it the Redskinettes gave game away? Now the Redskinettes Defense gives up points for close to 3Qrts and shut the jets down for rest (they catch balls & you lose)Never the less Jason & kool-aide drinkers say it was a great Defensive stance?

Redskinettes hardly ever get beat and they always win every game its amazing how they dont have at least 3 SB trophys since gibbys return?

Posted by: booredskinfanhoo | November 6, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Yes boo... It's almost as bad as Patrick Crayton crying about how the Cowboys should have beat the Patriots huh? Difference is we're just a bunch of optimistic fans while the Cowgirls players like to drink the Kool-Aid publicly and make stupid statments.

Posted by: bigfish | November 6, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

*** Troll Stomp ***

Dude - WTsjk are you reading?!?

*** End Troll Stom ***

Posted by: shuttledik | November 6, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

BigFish - I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Poor kid(s). She seems happy though..

Posted by: shuttledik | November 6, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Who here is saying the Skins have a 85' Bears or 01' Ravens defense? I supported your comments but there full of SJK and now I must ITA.

As ST2DH once told me, its that simple.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 6, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Bigfish:

Just returned home last night from my visit w/my brother in Austin. You'll get a little chuckle when I tell you that my bro and I wore our Skins jerseys out to dinner on Sunday night, trying to stir up the locals. Strangely enough, we ran into more Redskins fans at the restaurant than 'Girls fans. In fact, one of the managers even brought us free appetizers for wearing our burgundy and gold (turns out he grew up a Skins fans in Dallas!) Now that's TX hospitality..

Posted by: skinz57 | November 6, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

"5. Skins should not rely on Portis or run in general. CP only 2 good games came against Jets and Fins, who would be winless if they hadn't played each other!!"

This is some great insight right here. Portis is second in the NFC in rushing, but we shouldn't run the ball in general. Our passing game is struggling, but lets just ignore that, and not run the ball at all.

How about having a CLUE, before posting?

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 6, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Great post by Jason. Offense sucks, not sure if it is because of the WRs or the QB. In the GB game it was definitely the WRs, but lately I am inclined to think that it is because of the QB play. As Capt. Obvious will put it, we need more good decisions and accurate throws at QB. After two half seasons, the QB honeymoon period is over, its now time to demand and expect results. This is why we should have another young QB as back up so that your starter knows he has to perform or be replaced.... it's working for the Browns so far.

Posted by: QuestionableBlogger | November 6, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Look at Soup as Romo last year. The honeymoon is definitely over and yes, he needs to inspire more confidence in the position. But he IS coming along nicely and it will click more as the receiver position solidifies.

You can see positive development in every game this year. Not always positive results, but changes that will pay off down the road.

So there's plenty to be happy about while we fret over a game.

One of the developments I'd like to see is an adjustment in his Vision. If he could 'look down' the distance receivers just a little longer before switching to his dump man, it would open up both long and short games considerably.

Right now, when the deep route is covered, he quickly focuses on the dump route assuring coverage by the D. Just another 1/2 a second staring down the receiver and the underneath goes for more yards.

Once that happens, the D focuses more on the underneath and maybe the zone or the safety jumps to the under route leaving the receiver in man or even open!

I would assume they are already reviewing this with him, but you know what they say...

Posted by: shuttledik | November 6, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

ok geeks- go ahead and log off and head home. good job today.

shuttledik- is your company hiring?

Posted by: chelseatest | November 6, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

lmgo - being temp ROOLZ
dayjob DROOLZ

Posted by: shuttledik | November 6, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Ding ding ding! Shuttledik is correct, I'm not convinced the future is all that bright just yet but about what he needs to improve on you are absolutely correct.

Posted by: SeanTizzy2DaHizzy | November 6, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

skinz57, Nice to hear evrything went well. You should have had some perfect weather while you down here also. You left just before the cold front came in. It's only in the mid 60's now:-)

Posted by: bigfish | November 6, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I got one! Yay!

....where's my Kewpie Doll?

[:-\

Posted by: shuttledik | November 6, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I dunno. I'm pretty pleased with the result. I got three out of three in my hopes and dreams from this past Sunday. See below:

"swb, amen. I don't care if its is an ugly squeaker or a blowout that would make Bellichek blush, all I want is another "W." It also would be nice if we didn't lose another starter to an injury that keeps him out for more than a game."

Posted by: dcsween | November 1, 2007 05:27 PM

"... seems to me that our two biggest playmakers on paper Moss and Portis need to play up to thier billing ... both have been very disapointing thus far ..."

Posted by: Oldschool | November 1, 2007 09:50 PM

My same thoughts. This week, the story out of the Park has been that they are throwing it all out and starting over on offense. I'm hoping that that mumbo jumbo just means that these two guys -- who USED to be the spiritual leaders and pacemakers/jumper cables for the offense -- start playing like it was 2005. Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Posted by: dcsween | November 2, 2007 10:06 AM

On review of the play, call on the field stands. One win. No injuries. Big days by former big play makers. Philly is HERE this week, right?!?!

[Coming attractions: My hopes and dreams for no significant injuries to Skins fans caused by traveling Philly fans. Damn those missing holding cells at FedEx.]

Posted by: dcsween | November 6, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Upon further review the call is overturned due to "Big days by former big play makerS" rule. The review shows that the big day only happened for one player. The ball will be returned to the original spot on the field. 2nd down.

Posted by: bigfish | November 6, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone else noticed the blog losing words out of posts since the new and improved "movable type"?

Posted by: bigfish | November 6, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Bigfish, I saw the Saunders interview with Kelli Johnson last night - you asked about this on the previous thread.

In response to Kelli's question about who is calling the plays (this question has been asked so many times the coaches must be ready to revolt), Saunders replied "I call the plays - within the perimeters set by Coach Gibbs." He then went on to say that Gibbs is the head coach and has his own "philosophy" and that Dick Vermeil had his own "philosophy" when he worked with him in KC.

Posted by: Lisa | November 6, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

fish,

I what you're talking.

are disappearing as I them.

Posted by: shuttledik | November 6, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

From ESPN's Scouts Inc.

Why To Watch
The race in the NFC East is very tight and this is a huge game for both teams. This divisional rivalry game is pretty much do or die time for the Eagles and their season. They are already 0-3 in division games this season and could ill afford to be 0-4 in the division. The Eagles played miserable in there first meeting against Washington, which was a Monday night game in Week 2. However, the Eagles are much better on offense since that game and the Redskins' defense all of a sudden has some question marks. This game also features two explosive running backs in Washington's Clinton Portis and Philadelphia's Brian Westbrook.

When the Eagles have the ball
Rushing: The Eagles came into last week with the 13th ranked run offense in the NFL. They did not run the ball exceptionally well last week, but they also fell behind early, which hurt their ability to run the ball in the second half of the game. This team usually goes the way of Westbrook and when he is rolling well on the ground they tend to be play better offensively.

In the first meeting the Eagles came out and ran the ball very well. Westbrook finished the game with 96 yards, but that came on only 17 carries. The Eagles got away from the run too early in that game and they can't let that happen this week if they are going to steal one on the road. The Eagles offensive line has struggled this season in pass-protection, but they have been physical up front when the team has committed to running the football.

The Redskins' pass defense has been shaky of late, but they have done a solid job with the run. MLB London Fletcher has done a very good job of eating up blocks at the point of attack and WLB Rocky McIntosh has been doing an excellent job of playing sideline-to-sideline and making plays in the run game. The Eagles are effective when they can run the football, but when they get away from the run, history shows us that they tend to struggle to move the ball offensively.

Passing: The Redskins brought an excellent game plan into the first meeting. They played a lot of man press on the outside and brought blitz pressure to rattle QB Donovan McNabb in the pocket. Philadelphia has two good starting receivers in Kevin Curtis and Reggie Brown, but neither are a legit No. 1 and both struggle when the game gets physical.

Washington CBs Shawn Springs, Carlos Rogers and Fred Smoot did a very good job of neutralizing the Eagles' receivers with the jam in the first meeting and that forced McNabb to hold the ball longer than he wanted to in that game. Dallas also got excellent pressure on McNabb this past Sunday. The end result was constant dump offs to Westbrook, who had 14 receptions in the game. However, the 14 receptions only went for 90 total yards as Dallas did an excellent job of rallying to the football.

In the first meeting between these two teams Westbrook had eight receptions but again, they only went for 66 yards. Washington will give McNabb and this offense the check down all day in this football game, but for the Eagles to move the ball vertically in this game a few things need to happen. First and foremost, they are going to have to do a much better job of picking up the blitz up front. Secondly they need to move Curtis around more this week via motion to get him a free release off the football. Curtis can be a factor in this game catching the ball on the move and making plays with his feet, but to get it to him they need to get him some free releases off the line of scrimmage.

When the Redskins have the ball
Rushing: Portis is coming off his best game of the season. He is healthy now and really carrying the load for this team on the offensive side of the ball as he carried the ball 36 times for 196 yards last week. But, he will face a stiff run defense this week in the Eagles, which was No. 8 in the NFL coming into last week. One of the reasons the Eagles have been so good versus the run is because they will run blitz up the middle, which is the approach they will use this week.

Portis is very effective when he gets going north and south, as he did this past week. He really did an excellent job last week of taking what the defense gave him. There have been times this season when he danced too much in the backfield, but this past week he did a nice job of making one cut and banging it up into the hole. The Eagles are not very big on the edges defensively, so look for the Redskins to also work the outside run a little bit this week. If the Redskins can get a lead as they did in the first meeting, they will wear down an Eagles defense that is coming off a tough outing against Dallas last week.

Passing: The Redskins have been doing enough during most weeks in the passing game, but it is very clear the passing offense is way behind the run offense. After getting in a groove and playing fairly well over a stretch of a few weeks, QB Jason Campbell is starting to regress a little. He came up with enough plays last week in New York during their OT win versus the Jets, but the pass offense just does not seem to be clicking. Over the last four weeks, No. 1 receiver Santana Moss only has 12 receptions for 98 yards and they don't seem to be able to get him the ball in any position to make a play. He has had his man beat a few times and Campbell has missed him, but there have also been times when Moss has dropped balls.

The Eagles will play man coverage in this game, which bodes well for trying to get Moss on track. His best game of the season also came versus the Eagles in Week 2 where he had six receptions for 89 yards. In that meeting Campbell and Moss hooked up once on a big play and nearly missed on another. WR Brandon Lloyd did not make the trip with the team last week after he missed a meeting and was suspended. Plus, Antwaan Randle El just has not given them enough offensively as a No. 2 WR. This is a game where the Redskins need to get TE Chris Cooley involved. The Redskins have a complex offensive system and at times we think that hurts Campbell, but one of the key elements of the offense is their ability to move Cooley around. They will move him around this week and try to get him matched up versus safety Sean Considine, who struggles in coverage.

Special Teams

Both of these teams have with kickers that are solid overall and do not fold under pressure. The Redskins Shaun Suisham was five-of-five last week and hit the GW FG in overtime. He is 12-of-15 on the season and has very good overall leg strength. Kick return man Rock Cartwright is averaging 28.7 yards per return, but the team has surprisingly not gotten as much from Randle El as a punt returner, who is only averaging 6.8 yards per return.

Eagles kicker David Akers is 17-of-21 on the season and has been solid since playing through a few leg issues early in the season. Kick return man Correll Buckhalter is averaging just over 20 yards per kick return. Plus, punt return man Reno Mahe is dependable, but not the threat he once was. Overall, the Redskins have a slight edge on special teams this week.

Posted by: kost52 | November 6, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I think a bigger problem was the penalties. On tow drives, that I remember, on 3rd and long there was a roughing the passer penalty.

Posted by: james.harwell | November 6, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

LMGO Dik! Thanks Lisa! I guess that still means that Gibbs has the cuffs on both Saunders and Soup.

Posted by: bigfish | November 6, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Kost.

The offense is sputtering because the receivers who are smart and experienced with the Saunders offense (Moss and Randle El)are too banged up to practice the timing routes with Soup during the week. When the offense is left with backups' backups at WR, Soup can't utilize the offense he's spent the last year mastering. The timing routes are the key to the offense.

That, and someone needs to hypnotize Todd Wade into believing it's last year's Saints game every week.

Posted by: mugamack | November 6, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the O-Line has their work cut out for them this week, the Eagles have a pretty good D-Line. I reckon if we win that battle, we win the game.

Posted by: kost52 | November 6, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Gregmarino -- Ahhh, but I do have a clue. Portis has run the ball well only twice this year and those were against two of the worst teams in football -- who have one win between them only because they played each other!!! And even with that, we had to go to OT. Nope, running the ball is a way to get beat in todays NFL.

About half of CP's yards came in those 2 games. The other 6 games, Portis is about 3.3 a carry. And he is not running behind the Hogs.

The more important thing is to get Campbell back to the level he was at against Detroit and GB. Which means getting into a rhythm early in the game.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 6, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1 -

I reckon Adrian Peterson proved you can win the game by running the ball.

Posted by: kost52 | November 6, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Is this acceptable?

Posted by: 12-4 | November 6, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

That's plenty acceptable!

Posted by: bigfish | November 6, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Depends on who the loss is to. If it's the Cowboys, it's not acceptable!!!! Haha

Posted by: kost52 | November 6, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to 'not guy' for the inspiration.

**** 4-12 is now 12-4 ****

Posted by: 12-4 | November 6, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I don't care who the loss is to. If we go 12-4 that mean we only lose 1 more game so any loss would be acceptable. Plus it means we split with the Cowgirls. My post after the Jets game had us going 12-4 with a split with the Girls.

Posted by: bigfish | November 6, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Looking at the "power" ranking from foxsports.com

The Redskins have played 4 of the top 10 teams on the list and are 1-3 against them
Pats #1 (L)
Packers #4 (L)
Giants #6 (L)
Lions #9 (W)

We've also played 4 of the bottom 10 teams on the list and stand 4-0.
Cardinals #24
Eagles #25
Jets #29
Dolphins #32

So at 5-3 the Redskins (#14)have to keep winning close games to remain in the playoff hunt. That means we NEED to win against the Eagles this week. Take care of business, handle your ish, ATTACK YOU IDIOT! Put some points on the board and give the defense a breather. I'd like to season the Redskins take a knee at the end of the game and not raise my heart rate to unnatural levels.

But most of all, remember we had 5 wins all season last year. I seriously think we can get 10 wins this year. Just hope that's enough to get in the playoffs.

Posted by: Dorf | November 6, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Going to the game in little d in two weeks - any blog folk gonna be there? I'm going with 3 'girls fans, so it would be nice to see a friendly face.

Posted by: mile.high | November 6, 2007 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Both of my reliable sources for tickets have fallen through this week for the Eagles game... I know the shop teacher has tickets, but he's shady and a price-gouging mofo. Anybody want to help out an old school regular with two tickets for this weekend?

Email dorflax @ yahoo.com

No solicitors.

Posted by: Dorf | November 6, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

milehigh, I'm not going to the game but I'm in the area if you or anyone else who's going is into grabbing a drink Friday or Saturday night.

Posted by: bigfish | November 6, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Here you go Dorf. Chris Larry's favorite place to get tickets:-)

Posted by: bigfish | November 6, 2007 5:52 PM | Report abuse

bigfish - i'm flying in Friday night, driving to Austin for a Saturday wedding, then driving back up to Dallas for the game Sunday - so Fri/Sat drinks don't appear possible. In fact, if all goes according to plan, i'll be shocked. Thanks for the invite though.

Posted by: mile.high | November 6, 2007 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Vikes passed on Weinke for another sorry washed up QB not named Jeff George.

Posted by: bigfish | November 6, 2007 6:14 PM | Report abuse

the defense is the sung (as in, opposite of unsung) hero of this team

Everyone knows it, but when are you going to sit at a press conference and say "Yep, guess we suck pretty much except for the defensive side of the ball". You don't hang your offense to dry in the press. You beat them up in the locker room. Maybe you do it as a stunt to call them out, but IMO this team doesn't need as much of a kick in the butt as the coaches do.

Don't you think the defense at practice is firing themselves up with the notion that it will be up to them to win the game? I sure as heck would be doing that if I was a defensive coach. Because that's the reality. And if we get a game where the offense gets it together (vs Detroit for example), then their job gets that much easier and Sean Taylor catches pop-ups.

Posted by: moo21 | November 6, 2007 6:36 PM | Report abuse

He guys a friend of mines sent me this link. The picture is really cool. Smack1 and Adam even you clowns team have a picture.

Posted by: jm220 | November 6, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Kost52 ... actually Adrian Peterson sort of proves my point about running offenses. MN is far and away the leading rushing team in the NFL -- by 30+ yards game over 2nd place. And they are 2nd best on run defense, just a few yards behind the leader. They run great and stop the run great. And have 3 wins and 5 losses. If winning in 2007 was about running the football, the Vikes would be unbeaten.

Now if an RB has a phenomenal game, maybe that leads to a win. I mean 10 yards a carry is sick. But no one does that week in week out. The Vikes are 2-0 when AP goes for 200+, 1-5 when he doesn't (though he still averages 100 yards a game in the other 6 games).

Another thing about RBs, in this case Portis. 30 carries is a lot and its pretty common that after carrying that many times, the next week the RB is pretty ordinary. Maybe it takes more than 1 week to recover from 36 carries in a game. Not quite sure. Just made this observation from playoff games, where an RB that had a ton of carries one week is usually not so good the next.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 6, 2007 7:21 PM | Report abuse

JM, Saw the photo and my question is ... why the sjk%$#^%#^ is Dan Snyder in there?!!! I mean, what has he ever won as owner of the Skins other than 'the most dead money cap space' award, which he pretty much brings home every year.

It reminds me of the book cover Karen Hughes was running around the world with. On the cover were George Washington, Abe Lincoln, FDR and George Bush. OK, someone doesn't belong ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 6, 2007 7:27 PM | Report abuse

LMGO zcezcest1. I was thinking the same thing. WTF is he doing in the picture.

Posted by: jm220 | November 6, 2007 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Joe_in_Raleigh,
I'm a little late to the party here, but I don't think you can fairly say the defense gave up 52 to the Pats... the offense turned the ball over FOUR times, including a fumble returned for a TD. When the offense did have the ball, they only held it for 22 minutes! No defense in the world is going to look good if the offense goes 2-12 on third down, gives the other offense great field position by turning the ball over, and never threatens to score.

Before the game, I said if the Skins scored 27 I thought they would win. The Pats put 48 on the Cowgurlz, but I give the Gurlz credit... they score points every game.

Embarrasing fact: throw out the Detroit game, and THE REDSKINS HIGHEST SCORING GAME (23 pts) IS ***LESS THAN*** THE GURLZ LOWEST SCORING GAME. The defense is the ONLY reason the team is 5-3, and they would look even better if the offense was more of a scoring and ball control threat.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 6, 2007 7:31 PM | Report abuse

5-3 is 5-3 thats what we are no coulda or shoulda JaLa we are what we are ....namley a team with a solid defense that will keep us in every game and give us a chance....

Posted by: Oldschool | November 6, 2007 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Good grief, did everyone go to bed? Or, did Moveable Type drop all the posts since Old School's into an alternate blog dimension?

Posted by: JustMe | November 6, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

For those who didn't catch George Michael's rant on Receiver, The: http://video.nbc4.com/player/?id=179744

Posted by: JustMe | November 6, 2007 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Classic George Michael, just trying to get some of his boy Danny's flow back....

Posted by: pulldownclaw | November 6, 2007 10:02 PM | Report abuse

"a team with a solid defense that will keep us in every game"... except one.

Posted by: daggar | November 6, 2007 11:54 PM | Report abuse

looks like the finally figured out something was wrong and rebooted a server or something!

we're 5-3 and philly is 3-5 and we both get a "C" report card how does that figure I would give a "D" at least..

Posted by: noone.from.tampa | November 6, 2007 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JustMe | November 6, 2007 09:40 PM

Being out of market and since they killed Sports Machine, I have just one question...

What happened to Georges hair? What that a toup all those years? OMG

Posted by: noone.from.tampa | November 7, 2007 12:04 AM | Report abuse

And they're doing it without putting any high priced players in the dog house? What's wrong with Grilliams? Is he trying to earn his million dollar bonus when someone else is named head coach in a year or two?

I can see why so many on the team feel they're made of talent. Glad the D has, after a year off, gotten the talent back together. (Fletcher, fwiw, is a machine. Wow.)

Posted by: WorstSeat | November 7, 2007 6:15 AM | Report abuse

Long time lurker and just now posting to say hello to all you fine friends of the Burgundy and Gold. I have to say I really have enjoyed reading the banter back and forth between you all.

Back in the day, I used to live in Alexandria, but was transferred to Atlanta by my employer. Sunday Ticket is my saving grace.

But as for this team. It seems like they are very close to putting it all together, or seeing it all blow up in their face. This team is not the Pats, it's not the Chargers of Air Coryell and it sure aint the Rams greatest show on turf. This team is a running team that will throw the ball once in a while. But this team prefers to keep the ball on the ground. Should it change? That's tough to say. I do think we need to be a little better in the passing game, but not at the expense of the running game.

You see, a good running game, with some passes thrown in to keep defenses honest will control the clock. And if we can keep the other team's offense on the sidelines, we can win any game.

But what's wrong with Soups? Personally, I think it's growing pains. Give this team some time, and the air game will be there. Remember, JC has started 15 games now I think. And with a coaching staff playing it close to the vest. However, I have a feeling, Jason will be allowed to toss it downfield a bit more in the coming weeks.

The defense is playing well but I swear some people are never happy. Would I like to see more pressure from the line? Sure. Would I like to see more forced turnovers? You bet.

But I get the feeling the defense gets tired due to offensive shortcomings. Their play looks much more lethargic in the 4th quarters of games when the offense is performing a rousing rendition of 3 and out again and again.

But the offensive line injuries really hurt, and it takes time for these guys to learn each others tendencies. Look for better line play as they become more familiar with each other.

Sorry for the long winded post. But after reading so much, I felt it's time to contribute to the blog.

Posted by: jpatrick1 | November 7, 2007 7:22 AM | Report abuse

jp1,

Welcome to blog. Thanks for your contribution.

On the other hand, that was some pretty sound insight and that would make you part of the minority here. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Posted by: bangkokben | November 7, 2007 7:32 AM | Report abuse

There were many on this blog(you know who you are) who said Caldwell & McCardell were going to be making all these big plays and really upgrade WR? You were told then by realistic redskin fans that it would take to long to learn Saunders playbook & get use to JC.As usual you kool-aide drinkers are wrong and the offense is pathetic & not because of O-LINE but because all our WRs suck and would be the 3rd WR on any other team!

Posted by: booredskinfanhoo | November 7, 2007 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the welcome Bangkokben. By the way, went to Bangkok once about 15 years ago and had a great time.

As a matter of fact, that entire trip was a blast. Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong ( but only for a day), Japan, Korea and India. I spent almost a month traveling around and met some wonderful people. Oh I have got some stories about Bangkok.

Posted by: jpatrick1 | November 7, 2007 7:50 AM | Report abuse

"our WRs"?

Posted by: daggar | November 7, 2007 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Ok, what good is lurking if no-one is posting. It's been 30 minutes.

Posted by: 5-11 | November 7, 2007 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Welcome Jpat. I used to live in ATL, it's only saving grace was there were quite a few skins fans and skins bars to watch the game. For some reason there are alot of browns fans also.

Posted by: SeanTizzy2DaHizzy | November 7, 2007 8:33 AM | Report abuse

so, 5-11, will you be changing your moniker as you go, or just trying to be an unsettling reminder of last year's glory?

Posted by: daggar | November 7, 2007 8:48 AM | Report abuse

daggar, I have no intention of changing the handle. It came oh so close to a lose last week. If something doesn't happen to change the offensive output, I might just be dead on.

Posted by: 5-11 | November 7, 2007 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I think I killed the blog.

Posted by: Registration | November 7, 2007 8:53 AM | Report abuse

So the pain of re-registration has you hoping for an eight-game losing streak, eh?

we kid because we love...

Posted by: daggar | November 7, 2007 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I've followed the 'skins since the the days of the only play being Jurgensen to Taylor. I've lived and died with them, and had my heart broken too many times. I just don't believe they are that the offense can do it this year. And how long can the defense survive a nick here and there. Griffin played to downs last week. The nicks are going to become out for games. And then we will really be hurting.

Posted by: 5-11 | November 7, 2007 9:01 AM | Report abuse

ATL is a transplant town. Most peeps who live there are not from there. And of course those who did were skins fans cause there was no other team between there and DC. And cause the falcons sucked.

Posted by: Zebraskins | November 7, 2007 9:03 AM | Report abuse

They have more sacks, turnovers, and have equal the total wins of last year. There is room for improvement but I am not going to bash and sell them out. They will take Philly this weekend and I wonder what you will complain about next 5-11.

Posted by: jm220 | November 7, 2007 9:04 AM | Report abuse

you're right about the D -- even when they were "dominant" they were right on the edge of being ordinary.
Watching the Steelers Monday, that was a dominant defense. How did they lose to the Cards??

Posted by: daggar | November 7, 2007 9:05 AM | Report abuse

daggar remember they were playing against the Ravens O.

Posted by: jm220 | November 7, 2007 9:05 AM | Report abuse

daggar,
I'm not complaining. I'd like nothing more than to see a final record of 13-3. But I really don't see it happening. Course the O could come out and light it up, and give the D a break. But really down deep inside do you see that happening?

Posted by: 5-11 | November 7, 2007 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Cards are a dangerous team and had two healthy qbs. i think that's the first game anyone saw the two headed monster of qbs. Also, there HC and AHC know the Steelers personell and D very well.

Posted by: SeanTizzy2DaHizzy | November 7, 2007 9:10 AM | Report abuse

5-11,

I can understand where you're coming from. The only Skins game I ever went to was during Pardee ball! eeech.

Lem'me pose this though: in 2005 we had an enuchian offense and went into the playoffs - just a couple plays difference and we could have gone deeper too. I hope you'll admit that this current offense is better than the 2005 version. You could even make a case that both sides of the ball have more potential.

So why would you think we're doomed to be shut out the rest of the season when even that anemic team from '05 was able to push into the playoffs?

Posted by: shuttledik | November 7, 2007 9:13 AM | Report abuse

5-11, they won didn't they? I mean, Griffin played TWO downs, they lost one of their starting corners the prior week, and yet despite that, they won. I'm not saying they're ready to exact some revenge on the Pats, but how about being somewhat optimistic and not such a 'debbie downer' for a chance. They will end up with a better record than last year, and have a better defense than last year.

Unrelated, and not that I want to talk draft yet, but CBS Sportsline has some lists of seniors and juniors who have had some impressive campaigns. While I realize the season is 1/2 way through, I'm kind of a draft-geek, and having our 1-2-3, is somewhat new.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 7, 2007 9:14 AM | Report abuse

GM88,

a Cowpatty fan I know is crowin' all about how they are going to be picking up that RB from Arkansas. What have you heard?

Posted by: shuttledik | November 7, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Wow, thanks for the welcome.

Yea ATL is a bit of a transient town, but it's a fast growing metropolis that needs to ensure it's infrastructure can handle the demands of the population. Right now, we are in a severe drought and it's getting worse each day. The funny thing is during the last drought here, they spoke about building more reservoirs to avoid this. But of course red tape, NIMBY's, and a deluge of rain ending the last drought made everyone decide that ensuring a water supply in the future was to much trouble.

I have had the luck of running into a few skins fans, but very few Falcon fans. This is a college town more than a pro town.

I read the article on Landry and the young man is impressive. I can see him knocking heads for our beloved Skins for a long time.

This team is quiet, but they play their best football later in the season. You know, when it's bitter cold, the wind and rain (or even snow) blast the field, players, coaches and fans. When the running game really is effective.

I see a chance at the playoffs. But we need to be more effective when we have the ball. As I said in a previous post, I see that coming to fruition as the season plays itself out.

HTTR

Posted by: jpatrick1 | November 7, 2007 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Seems quiet here today guys.

Daggar, I still think you should be called Cload. That way people would think your real name is Claude or something.

It would make you a 'man of mystery'....

Posted by: Redcoat | November 7, 2007 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Shuttle, here is what they said about Mcfadden:

Blessed with a combination of size, power and natural running ability similar to Vikings rookie sensation Adrian Peterson, McFadden will enter the draft as an even higher-rated commodity than the former Oklahoma star due to his greater durability. A dominant performer since stepping onto the field as a true freshman, McFadden might be the best prospect in the country -- regardless of position or class.

Right now, Dallas has their own first round pick, as well as Clevelands I think? Correct me if I'm wrong. If that is true, Cleveland is 5-3, and lets say they end up splitting the last 8 games and end up 9-7. Dallas is going to have to use BOTH picks to move up high enough to get McFadden. Tell your Dallas friend that with Marion Barber, and Julius Jones already on the team they should look elsewhere, with those picks.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 7, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I would like nothing more than for them to win all the rest. But if the offense can't score and continues to go 3 and out, they got more than 2 or 3 loses coming up.

And yes this offense is probably a little better than 05. But not by much.

Posted by: 5-11 | November 7, 2007 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Redcoat does that mean you will change your name to Dr. Evil? LMGO

Posted by: jm220 | November 7, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

5-11, I guess I kinda look at it as prom: Just because you're the fat kid doesn't mean you don't ask the pretty girls to dance, 'cause they just might say 'yes'
;-]

Yeah, GM88 - it sounded like he was blowin' smoke there... and I agree - they are already stacked healthy at that position.

Posted by: shuttledik | November 7, 2007 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Redcoat is holding the world hostage for....

One MILLLION dollars! muuuaaaa ha ha ha h.

wha? no?

THREE! three MILLION dollars! muuuaaaaa ha ha ha..ah..h..

huh?

Posted by: shuttledik | November 7, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

LMGO!!!!

Posted by: jm220 | November 7, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Well, let's start with the crappy kick-off. How long is Gibbs goin' put up with that BS?

Posted by: gdennie | November 4, 2007 02:10 PM

So, Suisham was named Special Teams Player of the Week. And this genius, gdennie, posted on Sunday that Gibbs should fire him after his first kickoff only carried to the 15-yard line.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 7, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Quote of the day:

Gregg Williams on rookie safety LaRon Landry: "He gets to the football fast, and he gets there in a bad mood."

Posted by: SeanTizzy2DaHizzy | November 7, 2007 9:41 AM | Report abuse

TE,

It went to the 18 yard line, which is atrocious and was a big reason for the td.

I'm not saying he should be fired but look at it like this he cost us 7 points. So it's like he missed two field goals and an extra point.

I don't care about Player of the week or not, kicking to the 18 is just flat out awful.

Posted by: SeanTizzy2DaHizzy | November 7, 2007 9:45 AM | Report abuse

yep, she just might say yes.

Posted by: 5-11 | November 7, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Swishy's problems have been troubling. Every time they line him up over 47 yds I just end up screaming at the TV to go for it or punt it! But he came through after his screwup on Sunday - ya hav 2 give him that much.

Posted by: shuttledik | November 7, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

ST2DH--

You don't care about player of the week? Man, who do you want to have on your team?

The kickoff went to the 13, not the 18, and I agree that it's not good regardless of where it went. The kicker did not "cost us 7 points" -- bad coverage against an explosive runner did. The big reason for the TD was because the rookie missed contain against one of the best kick-off returners in the league.

But, you don't cut a kicker for one bad kickoff. If you did there wouldn't be any kickers left in the NFL. 'Skins have been too quick on giving up on kickers -- that's why Akers is in Philadelphia and not Washington.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 7, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

jm;

are you back to 220 after Ramadan fasting?

Posted by: Zebraskins | November 7, 2007 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Ss..ss..llll....oooo....wwwwwwwwww.

Posted by: shuttledik | November 7, 2007 10:02 AM | Report abuse

As I said, I'm not saying he should be fired but I can argue if he kicks a touch back it's not a TD.

As for Player of the Week well, awards don't really matter, they don't win you anything. They are great and all but it happens after the fact and therefore has no bearing.

Officially it went to the 14 I was wrong.

Posted by: SeanTizzy2DaHizzy | November 7, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Zebraskins I am two pounds under right now. Give me another 2 weeks and I will be.

Posted by: jm220 | November 7, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Suisham's 6 out of 8 on FG's 40-49 yards. How many has he tried over 47 yards? But his KOs are bad -- he's last in the league among kickers who have had more than 4 KOs.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 7, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Officially it went to the 14 I was wrong.

Posted by: SeanTizzy2DaHizzy | November 7, 2007 10:06 AM

ST2DH--

Awards don't matter? They don't win games? Why did he get the award? It was because he kicked 5 FGs and won the game for the Redskins. He scored 15 of the 23 points.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 7, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

TE,

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 7, 2007 10:18 AM

I'm not trying to argue with you but

"Awards don't matter?"-Just my opinion but not they don't.

"They don't win you games?"-Not my opinion, a fact. No one in NFL history that I'm aware of has lost or tied a game only to be given a victory after the MVP, POTW or POTY awards were given out.

"Why did he get the award?"-I didn't even say that. He obviously got the award because someone decided 5 for 5 with a game winner warranted it. I'm not saying he didn't deserve it, I don't really care about it is all I said.

Posted by: SeanTizzy2DaHizzy | November 7, 2007 10:28 AM | Report abuse

ST2DH,

And if Torrence makes his tackle, it's not a TD.

Suisham's had 4 touchbacks this year on 34 KOs -- #22 in the league. The best is Janikowski, with 18 (out of 35 KOs). The guy's a brute, because the next best is Gostkowski who's had 14 -- but on 66 KOs. (The Patriots seem to score a lot). The Dallas kicker's had the second most KOs -- 52, but has the same number of touchbacks as Suisham.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 7, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Kick offs are bad I agree...

But c'mon were slamming swissham this week, when he was clutch 5/5 including OT (no gimme FG either)

I don't get us sometimes, seriously I dont....

We have not developed a young kicker since lohmiller, now we are and its could pay dividends now and in the future...

I guess we should cut him and go sign the drunk idiot kicker right?!?!

Posted by: chrislarry | November 7, 2007 10:36 AM | Report abuse

T_E You're right! I don't know what I was basing my irrational fear upon.

Posted by: shuttledik | November 7, 2007 10:36 AM | Report abuse

shuttle -- Well, Coach Gibbs might have the same fear, because they haven't let him try one this year from beyond 50 yards.

Incidentally, doesn't the Jets' Washington deserve some credit for that KO return? The guy's leading the league in KO returns and that was his third for a TD this year. It's not like D'Brickashaw Ferguson ran it back for a TD against us.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 7, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone catch Jasno on Comcast last night?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 7, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

As a dude who is forced to watch, know the Jets due to my locale...

Leon Washington is the truth.....

Posted by: chrislarry | November 7, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Fight! Fight! Fight!

Here's a little bit on the reporters' fight in the locker room - though it is a bit old - newsworthy-wise.

Posted by: cmecyclist | November 7, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Kicking off and kicking field goals are two different things.

Swiss Ham is just not good at kickoffs and I think it will cost us a game I fear.

I'm not blasting Swiss Hamm, I'm blaiming the coaches for not either coachin'em up or getting someone who can kick off.

Posted by: SeanTizzy2DaHizzy | November 7, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

To those critisizing Suisham, don't forget that he IS the offense right now, not to mention that he has one other overtime field goal this season for the win. (That is 40% of our wins, folks.)

So if he hits an occasional kick off to the 14 yard line, I will take it.

Posted by: driley | November 7, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Fred Smoot calls Suisham "Shazam!" Gotta love it....

Posted by: Lisa | November 7, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Wow...'Skins love from Jasno.

My cup runneth over.

Posted by: jcabana | November 7, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SeanTizzy2DaHizzy | November 7, 2007 10:54 AM

Come on Tizzy, you used to be Skins Realist and now you're sounding like Skins Fantasist.

It's the tenth week of the season, so who do you think is out there who would be better at kickoffs? Who would you cut to put an extra kicker on the team? What should they be doing to "coach him up" that they're not already doing?

Why is this the coaches' fault? Aren't there things that are beyond the coaches' control? Aren't there times when the best you can do is to go with what you got?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 7, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

First off, I'm Skinz not SR.

Secondly his kickoffs suck. I am not crusading against the guy but they do suck. That's all I'm saying. I agree this conversation has gone on long enough though. On to other topics.

Posted by: SeanTizzy2DaHizzy | November 7, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Hilarious (and accurate) assessment of the FedEx experience:

Posted by: dcsween | November 7, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I really hurt the blog.

Posted by: Registration | November 7, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Don Banks must have gotten the memo about the stadium poll at SI.com. Here is what he had to say about RFK:

7. RFK Stadium, Washington, D.C.: The Redskins have really never been the same since they deserted rickety old RFK for Landover, Md., and the soul-less FedEx Field. I'm glad I got a chance to cover a Bucs-Redskins game at the old place in '94, so I could see the building that generated so many glorious moments for Washington and its fans. There was nothing upscale about it, but RFK had atmosphere galore, and the Redskins absolutely owned their home field during the George Allen and Joe Gibbs' coaching eras. Much like Mile High in Denver, when the Redskins were on their way to another victory, Washington fans could make whole sections of bleachers jump, sway and bounce to their happy rhythm.

Posted by: dcsween | November 7, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

The Hurricanes are getting ready to make the same mistake here in Miamuh.

They are abandoning the rockin'est stadium I've ever been to, the Orange Bowl, for soulless Dolphin Stadium.

I think it's a big mistake, but supposedly they'll make more $$ that way... gee. ain't that great.

What do they say about the root of all evol!? he he he.

[pinky next to mouth] five FIVE MILLION DOLLARS mUUUUaaa ha ah ha ... wha?

Posted by: shuttledik | November 7, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: i155133 | November 7, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Who farted? This blog stinks.

Posted by: stinky | November 7, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

That Sports Illustrated assessment of the fan experience is intersting...but for some reason under team, they have Jason Campbell listed as a WR. :-/

Posted by: Alan4 | November 7, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Alan4, I think they really meant to say both Jason Campbell (QB) and Santana Moss (WR), but b/c every team only got three players, they collapsed the two. Either that, or maybe they couldn't bring themselves to type out Brandon Lloyd (WR).

Posted by: dcsween | November 7, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Or that they (or anybody) couldn't get excited about watching Brandon Lloyd ... or that people watched Brandon Lloyd, but only in the way rubberneckers watch a gruesome car crash. [Obviously, I got nothing here.]

Posted by: dcsween | November 7, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna have to agree that Swiss Ham's kick offs leave a little something to be desired but he gets a pass this week for making all of those field goals and winning the game. Just for the record he did kick one into the endzone against the Jets.

Posted by: bigfish | November 7, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Soup is that big possession wide receiver we've been looking for.

Posted by: bigfish | November 7, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

They've seen the playbook -- page 624, with Randle El and Cartwright in the backfield and Soup split wide. I think they tried to run it on Sunday but got called for delay of game.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 7, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Considine Out for Season

The Eagles suffered their first serious injury of the regular season this weekend when Sean Considine went down against Dallas with a shoulder problem. He's done for the year.

Posted by: bigfish | November 7, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bigfish | November 7, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

First of all, it's not McNabb's fault that his receivers can't get open. When he had Terrell Owens, the coverages didn't matter, McNabb got him the ball. When he had Donte Stallworth, the coverages didn't matter, McNabb got him the ball. And when he had Todd F***ing Pinkston, again, the coverages didn't matter, McNabb got him the ball (whether he caught it or "lost it in the lights" was another matter).

How many times have we seen Kevin Curtis run a sideline route this year with zero separation from the cornerback? A dozen? How many times have the other receivers ever managed to get deep this season?

It's not the coverage, it's the players. The Eagles better hope the Pats let Stallworth go after his one-year prove-it deal this year and the team can go crawling back to Drew Rosenhaus to try to work something out.

Posted by: bigfish | November 7, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

That last comment should have been in quotes. Those are not my words. They are from the article that I posted the link to above.

Posted by: bigfish | November 7, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

fish--I tried to read the Iggles' blog, but I am afraid of what would happen if Jack's kids read it. Is Jack still around? Has he got a new handle?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 7, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

If the Eagles fans are p'ed about losing Stallworth and seeing him turn into a playmaker in New England, what's it going to be like up here next year when Brandon Lloyd resuscitates his career with the Patriots?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 7, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

This is from the Eagles beat writer for the PhilthyDelphia Daily News. And we thought Jasno didn't like the Redskins.

Posted by: bigfish | November 7, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, That Iggles blog has some extremely foul language. Typical for Philly fans.

Posted by: bigfish | November 7, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

If Brady could make Ricochet Caldwell a starting receiver when he can't even set foot on the field for the Skins then he could probably do the same for Receiver, The.

Posted by: bigfish | November 7, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Good to see Andre Carter getting some respect.

Posted by: bigfish | November 7, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Good to see the blog is alive and well. What happened up here? Is it me? Do people not like me?

Posted by: bigfish | November 7, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't Washington Post have Weekly predictions from "experts" on who will win NFL games for each week? If someone knows of where this is, please let me know.

Thanks!!

Posted by: dean | November 7, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

bigfish,

You are doing fine, keep up the good work.

dean,

Maske makes predictions.

Back to work.

Posted by: Markin21132 | November 7, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

People just don't like you bigfish. lol

Posted by: jm220 | November 7, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

We're all watching you, 'fish. Were you expecting a more interactive experience?

The blog should have an artificial intelligence function for times like this where once you make your make a post, it generates a response. And you could choose the tone of the response: troll, deranged, agitated, out-of-sorts, calm, agreeable, adoring, obsequious. I could put names to those first six, but I'm not sure what the last two would look like.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 7, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Markin21132... I knew Maske makes predictions but i have seen a page where about 8 people make predictions for a given week, on WashingtonPost.com. Can't find that page again.

Posted by: dean | November 7, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"The playoffs are a definite possibility. Only the Redskins, Giants and Lions have winning records, yet are not leading a division. Catching Dallas will be tough, but they can catch the Giants with a win and have already toppled Detroit. No one in the NFC West looks as if they can challenge for a wildcard spot and the NFC South is very murky. In reality the Redskins have every opportunity to make great things happen for themselves."

Posted by: bigfish | November 7, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I guess all the links I put up here are taking away attention from the blog. Just doing my best to keep everyone informed.

"out-of-sorts" please.

Posted by: bigfish | November 7, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Re: playoffs, magic eight ball sez "Ask Again Later."

Let's just take care of business against Philly this weekend. We gotta keep winning.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 7, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Something has been nagging at me this week and I'm hoping you guys can help me out:

Should I be hoping for a Cowboys loss, or a Giants loss this weekend?

At this point in the season it appears the Packers or the Lions will occupy one of the wild card spots. The Cowboys have the inside track on winning the NFC East. That leaves one wild card spot, which would currently go to the Giants.

The Redskins probably need to get past either the Cowboys or Giants to make the playoffs - so better to hope for a Giants loss this week, or a Dallas loss, and two Dallas/Redskins games to go?

I can't bring myself to root for either team - but who do you think should I be hoping loses?

Posted by: mugamack | November 7, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

We should get to see a handfull of sacks on McNabb this weekend. Only Kitna has been sacked more. And hopefully the D will get back on the turnover train.

The big question for me is how will the running game hold up. The Eagles have been pretty tough against the run this year. If we get that running game working then I will be convinced that it's on and it wasn't just because it was the Jets. It's about time for Soup to have another good game as well.

Posted by: bigfish | November 7, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

We got to keep Cooley involved in the passing game. Not just a half but the whole game.

Posted by: jm220 | November 7, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Don't be so sure that the Lions will have one of those wildcard spots. I have them winning two more games this year (Cardinals and Chiefs). Maybe the Vikings if they're lucky. The second half of the season looks rough for them and they haven't beaten anyone of significance yet. Yes they beat the Broncos but Patrick Ramsey was the QB.

Their final 8 games are against;

Cardinals
Giants
Packers
Vikings
Cowboys
Chargers
Chiefs
Packers

Posted by: bigfish | November 7, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Should I be hoping for a Cowboys loss, or a Giants loss this weekend?

Posted by: mugamack | November 7, 2007 02:05 PM

Giants, agreeably.

Posted by: SMACK1 | November 7, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | November 7, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Hey jm220, yeah I did. I tried to reply but the blog wasn't having any of it.

I was scanning my splendid collage, and then...the horror! Is it? Could it be? Barry Switzer? They might as well have put Jimmy Johnson's hair-stylist on there!

Posted by: SMACK1 | November 7, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I'll be rooting for a Cowboys loss. The Giants still have to play the Pats and the Skins again so after we beat them and sweep the Cowboys we'll be in 1st place. Last game of the season could be for 1st place in the NFC East.

Posted by: bigfish | November 7, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

LMAO! A friend has the Cowboys Picture. It's nice but the Skins looks better.

Posted by: jm220 | November 7, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

mugamack,

Injuries. Root for injuries.

Just kidding (mostly). I would root against the Cowboys because (aside from obvious reasons) they are in 1st place. Too early to start trying to figure out who would put us in better wild card position. The division is not out of reach.

Giants tend to implode in the second half of the year anyway (they were 6-2 at this point last year).

Posted by: LiberalMike | November 7, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Don't be so sure that the Lions will have one of those wildcard spots...The second half of the season looks rough for them and they haven't beaten anyone of significance yet. Yes they beat the Broncos but Patrick Ramsey was the QB.

Posted by: bigfish | November 7, 2007 02:14 PM

The Broncos aren't of any significance in any case, even with their starting QB. Their three (?) wins are even more questionable than some of the Skin's wins.

Chump and Capt. Bly are looking oh-so-mortal, and the defensive line is pretty awful. Shanahan and his band of "max cap" pirates should be out the door soon. They tried to build a championship team the way Snyder does, and it hasn't worked there either.

The days of "Appaloosa Eyes" and "Old Horse Teeth" are done.

Posted by: tafka | November 7, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse