Quiet At Redskins Park

About 12 people are sitting at the vigil area, and the players are all inside.

Not sure how much access we will get. There are some rumblings that there will not be an open-locker room setting for the media, and that instead players might be escorted to the media room to speak with us there. For now, there are only a few media schlubs out here, but we are bracing for a horde by noon, when the locker room is supposed to open.

In the meantime, I have a few guest blog entries I will post this morning/afternoon.

Received a very nice email from Ted Leonsis, owner of the Caps, who goes to many Skins games and is a huge all-around sports fan. He sends his concerns and best wishes to the Redskins and their fans.

I also wanted to sincerely thank everyone who has emailed me over the last 48 hours. I have tried to respond to every one, but in the constant I am sure I missed one or two, so I apologize for that.

I'll try to stay on top everything as best I can. Also, I imagine there could be some other Redskins news here at some point, and as Sunday approaches there are going to be people out there expecting information on the game, injuries, playoff chances, etc.

Like everyone else - fans, teammates, coaches - this is un-chartered territory for me as well, and I want to be as thoughtful as possible to the sensitivity of the situation, but I also have a large, diverse readership to serve and there will be a game to cover this weekend.

Like with the contract stuff I posted last night, it may turn you off, and I understand, but, again, you can always stop reading and check back later. There is going to be lots of information related to Sean's case coming out over the next few days and weeks, but also a lot of football-specific info to convey as well.

I will try to provide both, and by all means, if anyone has suggestions on how to meld the two or go about this in the best way, I am all for it. I figure I'll just kind of go by feel and try to trust my instincts as I have all week.

Thanks.

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 28, 2007; 11:04 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Taylor Retrospective Video
Next: Pedro Taylor Addressed The Team At Redskins Park This Morning

Comments

Jason, You are doing an excellent job. Thanks for everything.

Posted by: merajc86 | November 28, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Jason, you are a good man, and a great reporter. Thank you for this - it is our only outlet as fans to gather as much info as we can; to share as many memories as we can; and to hear from as many teammates and coaches as we can.

Hail to the Redskins. May God bless Sean Taylor and his family.

Posted by: ericrkimmel | November 28, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Great work Jasno. Such a confusing, angry and hurtful time. GBST.

Posted by: Pubgolf | November 28, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Jason, the work you've done in the past 48 hours is amazing. Thank you for the hard work and professionalism.

Posted by: goskinsgo | November 28, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

JLC, can't say enough good things about the great work you are doing. I know I have appreciated your reporting on this issue and I'm sure others do as well. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: gopjobs316 | November 28, 2007 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

I responded to you at end of last thread.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 28, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Jasno - I can't thank you enough for the top notch reporting you have done over the last 2 days. You have been THE source for information in this trying time and I really appreciate your dedication to this blog.

Hail.

Posted by: mile.high | November 28, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

J-LA, great work, really. Above and beyond, what anyone could/should have expected given the situation.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 28, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

CL, just went back and read it, and that pretty much sums up my angst towards Wilbon. We're in agreement, 100%. Given the "up in the air" status of a young mans life, it was the wrong place/time for him to take what could be perceived as a cheap shot.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | November 28, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

JLaC- Thank you for everything you've provided us over the last 48 hours. And no, it's not you "just doing your job," it's so much more than that.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 28, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

JC:

Thanks for all your hard work keeping us all up-to-the-minute. You're right, there are layers of upcoming information for you to report. I might suggest formatting it in a News & Notes-type format, in the order of importance of personal information first(like funeral info, where flowers\donations in Sean's name can be sent, etc), followed by any football-related info\updates from the Redskins and the NFL (like moving the Bears game to Sunday to accommodate the funeral, etc). Since other journalists will be reporting on the investigation, you could close with any updates on the investigation into his death that you think are relevant.

Just my $.02, but just know that any way you do it is appreciated!

Posted by: Skinzfan2 | November 28, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

"That's the thing about Wilbon's piece that bugs me. He has one source. A Future Hall of Famer (Ray Lewis anyone?) said to watch out for him. Do you know what that means? He's a gangbanger!!!!!

Posted by: relishfilms | November 28, 2007 11:25 AM "

Relish,

Wilbon said recently retired - future hall of famer... I would think its someone local and likely a redskin.

Wilbon said on Doc Walker's show yesterday that he wanted to talk about it but hadn't received permission to say who it was...

My guess - Darrell Green.

Posted by: EinVB | November 28, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Jasno,

You are doing an outstanding job! I can imagine it will be difficult to walk that balance, but as with other things that some may find distasteful, there is the option to not read, watch, listen, etc.

Posted by: nojunk4me | November 28, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

JLC thanks so much and my respect for you a reporter and person has just double. They way you have handle things been perfect brother. You have respected those who are having a touch time with it as well as given those who wanted other information. We know it not easy for you. Thanks brother and keep up the good work.

Posted by: jm220 | November 28, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Dan Patrick is doing a nice job on his radio show this morning of addressing the media's temptation to jump to conclusions, as many have in this case linking Sean Taylor's history to his murder in his own home.

He admits that he made the same mistake, but that, upon reflection, it is irresponsible for the media to this to Sean -- he started the show by comparing Wilbon's accusations to Steele's (Baltimore Sun) call for patience.

Posted by: CMoney1 | November 28, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Great reporting Jason. You've been terrific at capturing the right "tone" between providing hard news while also showing empathy for those who suffered the loss.

You should be proud of how you've covered this story especially since you have no guidelines or standards to follow.

Thank you.

SMG

Posted by: SteveMG | November 28, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Hey J, Thank you for the updates. Living in Atlanta and originally from FT. Washington. You are my only consistent and solid source for Skins info. Great job, keep it up. #21

Posted by: MIKE_DEDOMINICIS | November 28, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Keep doing what you do, Jason. You've definitely raised the bar this week.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 28, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Jason, you've done outstanding work this week and it's been handled with a lot of sensitivity. I check all the normal internet sources by keep coming back to your insider for the most up-to-date info. It's been a trying week for all Redskin fans and I thank you for staying on top of things. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: wolff | November 28, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I sure hope the NFL does the right thing and moves the Thursday night game next week back a day or two or three.

I know there are agreements in place between the NFL and high schools/colleges that generally preclude the NFL from showing games on Friday and Saturday up against college games, but this situation screams for an exception.

The beauty of it is that the game is being broadcast on the NFL's own network, so they are in control.

Posted by: CMoney1 | November 28, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

New post from Jason is up.

Posted by: tafka | November 28, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

New Post... Sean's Dad spoke to the team today.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 28, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Someone on an earlier thread mentioned moving LaRon Landry to FS.

I think he should stay where he is, and they should keep Pearson Prioleau at FS for the rest of the season.

As for Taylor's past, everyone has a past. Most of us have errors in it. And so have many past Redskins, from Sonny Jurgensen to Joe Don Looney to John Riggins to Dexter Manley to Alvin Walton (another great safety, imo).

The media only hypes it because they're in the business of selling advertising space, and sensationalism sells better than understated fact.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 28, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Keep up the good work. The DC area is fortunate to have a paper like the Washington Post, which hires excellent reporters/writers. I appreciate the work you and others do. I grew up reading Tony and Wilbon's columns as well as others.

Posted by: pe966 | November 28, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Great job Jason! My suggestion is to keep doing what you are doing. Maybe for the next few days put a disclaimer like you did so readers are aware the following information will be on-field related. People have got to understand as tragic as this is, there is still a game to play and a playoff spot to try to secure.

God Bless Sean Taylor and his family and friends!

Posted by: elainekli | November 28, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I have lost a lot of respect for MW. He is a twit who looks down upon a lot of the redskins faithful just for the fact, well, we are some crazy, loyal fans.

Anywho, I remember one time that Warren Sapp said, something to the extent "If you think the U players are crazy, Sean Taylor is the craziest by far"

Well anyways most people say ST has gotten his life together. If MW does not wanna really pay attention to that "small detail" so be it.

Like I said before, he is a twit whose views and skills as a writer has gotten weak over the years.

Posted by: merajc86 | November 28, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

You just keep doing what you're doing. There are no blueprints.

Posted by: jvwright | November 28, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse