Quinton Ganther lands a job with Seattle Seahawks

Former Redskins running back Quinton Ganther has found a new home. The Seahawks have signed Quinton Ganther, who was an unrestricted free agent, according to Ganther's agent, David Canter.

Despite a career spent mostly buried on the depth chart, Ganther actually finished last season as Washington's starting running back. After Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts went down with injuries and Redskins coaches opted against using Rock Cartwright, Ganther got the call and made the most of it.

He started the Redskins final four games, the most noteworthy of which came at Oakland where Ganther had 93 total yards and a pair of touchdowns. He finished the season with 201 yards and three touchdowns on 62 carries -- all career-highs.

In Seattle, the 25-year-old Ganther will be reunited with Sherman Smith, who was his running backs coach in Tennessee and the offensive coordinator in Washington. Smith is now the Seahawks' running backs coach and apparently still thinks highly enough of Ganther to bring him aboard once again.

According to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Ganther's contract with Seattle is for one year.

The Redskins have already parted with five tailbacks who finished last season on the roster: Ganther, Betts, Cartwright, Marcus Mason and fullback Eddie Williams. They currently have under contract Portis, Larry Johnson, Anthony Alridge and P.J. Hill.

By Rick Maese  |  March 18, 2010; 7:05 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Report: Tim Tebow will have workout with Redskins
Next: Tim Tebow and the Redskins: What's your take now?

Comments

Thanks for the memories Quinton.

Posted by: Predator48 | March 18, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the memories Quinton.

Posted by: Predator48 | March 18, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

First double post of the day! Yeah!

Posted by: Predator48 | March 18, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

First double post of the day! Yeah!

Posted by: Predator48 | March 18, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

God, I'm so pissed at the thought of TT as a Redskin, I don't even know where to start. Dan the excuse for a man Snyder already has done so much to ruin this team, and alienate fans, it's hard to imagine he could do more damage. But picking TT is exactly that.
I've been a Skins fan since '72, when I moved to DC when I was 7, and I've been a season ticket holder, and attended at least two games every year, and never missed a game on TV since then.
Pick TT, and I give away ALL my Skins stuff, and dedicate myself to golf on Sundays, when every other ahole is wasting their time watching that moralist *sshole.
Dan Snyder is the WORST thing that ever happened to this team.
Wow.

Posted by: jeffc6578 | March 18, 2010 3:13 AM |

People like this idiot need to get a grip. So let me get this straight, you don't want Tim Tebow because he has a set of morals and principles that he lives by? How absolutely phuking retarded are you? Not because he's one dimensional QB or because he has a screwed up throwing motion but because he's a "moralist a*hole." I tell you what, let's all just go smoke a bunch of crack, beat our wives and girlfriends and maybe then WE can get drafted because we aren't moralists. You are an absolute waste of a human and should shoot yourself in the face.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 18, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

I fail to see how TT would be worse than Colt in the 3 spot. And definitely a better upside, initially.

...and I like Brennan.

Who's PJ Hill?!

I prefer Ganther over Aldridge as an RB, but Aldridge can do the return gig... so may as well go there. I think QG did a good job here and I hope he gets a lot of carries in MicroTowne.

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 18, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

in a really crappy season, Ganther was a bright light, good luck and thanks!

Posted by: wescaddle1 | March 18, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

So I don't think there are many folks that fault him for being a Christian and being proud of it...he's getting heat because he can't seem to figure out the appropriate time and place for conveying that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 18, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

That may be true, brownie. But I think grich should also realize that many people are opposed to TT, because even tho he was an elite college QB, his skills probably will not work at the professional level. What is intriguing about him is his leadership and desire. And those qualities are what you can't teach. And he might be successful, in spite of his lack of throwing skills.

I'd be OK taking him with a 3rd round pick if we traded for one, or even a second round pick if we got an extra one through a trade. But I don't see value for him at #37.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 18, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

...and hopefully CP will join the list as "out-of-towners".

Posted by: 1of9000 | March 18, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse