Quote Of The Season (So Far)

It came from rookie Rocky McIntosh Tuesday. He was asked that most innocuous of TV-ready questions, about his confidence level entering the season. He responded thusly, and with glee: "I'm way far from being a sissy." Okay, so it's something of a nonsequitor, and, trust me, no one was questioning the kid's manhood in any way. But that's football, eh? Got to love that response. That's a linebacker, boys and girls.

Rocky has a good sense of humor and plays like a jackhammer. I'm still thinking we'll see him starting around Week 4.

Mere hours later, Coach Gibbs regaled us with some chuckles about Fred Smoot's days here ("I love Smooter," he said at one point of the Vikings cornerback), then, while I asked him some questions about Buck Ortega (as per the inquiry by the loyal readers of this blog), he pulled off the rarest of answers. In mid response, while looking over my shoulder, Joe said: "And speaking of Buck, there's a couple of bucks over there." And what do you know - there were two deer way off in the distance by the far practice field, doing whatever it is that deer do. Pretty cute.

-0-

Third-year defensive lineman Ryan Boschetti made the ultimate rookie mistake yesterday. He parked his truck in the first spot on the parking lot reserved for Bubba Tyer. He will definitely get an earful for that faux paus ... The players were off yesterday because this is a weird week. Usually, Tuesday is the off day but with the team not playing until Monday night, that's changed. This afternoon will probably be a more physical practice, and Friday a full practice-day, too, with Saturday mostly a walkthrough ...

The Babyshambles disc rocks. Thanks for the headsup to my bloggy people out there to let me know it was in iTunes. Lead signer Pete Doherty made the Post's Style section again Tuesday for his latest drug-related court appearance. If not for the words "boyfriend of supermodel Kate Moss," in those wire stories, I don't think he'd have a chance of making the gossip pages over here. His music is relatively unheard of in the States, or far from popular at least ... The ads around this blog must rotate or something, but I swear every time I check it out there's a picture of three women and a link for some "Intimate Dating Service." Someone else out there must have seen it. I'm definitely not making this up.

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 7, 2006; 9:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Afternoon Update (couldn't come up with anything better; pretty weak, I know)
Next: The Wonders Of Email

Comments

You mean the ads that show 3 fairly attractive, and rather busty looking women, from Bethesda or Rockville or wherever else looking for love through the Intimate Dating Service?

Personally, I prefer the Inmate Dating Service. No strings attatched, conjugal vists, no anniversaries, bdays, valentines days, holidays to worry about. It's a pretty sweet deal if you can get it. Plus you get to help smuggle in packs of smokes, prison tattoo ink, and nail files baked into cakes.

So, whatever happened to all those posters calling for Novak to be signed? That seems to have kinda died out since last week.

Personally I think they should just cut the kicker and punter. Let some one else handle kick-offs. As for field goals and punts they should just always got for it on 4th down. For extra points, always go for the 2 point conversion. Simple enough isn't it? Always works for me in Madden. Of course I was able to trade James Thrash and a 5th round draft pick for Marvin Harrison so.....

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | September 7, 2006 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm seeing a Bridal Showcase ad at the moment (there goes your target audience theory) but i usually get the "lower your mortgage" ads the most. I rent, whatever. I never see the dating service one, but I'm sure you're not making it up Jason.

Mike and Mike were doing thier playoff predicitions this morning and Greenburg put the cowboys in the super bowl "by default" Good grief.

Posted by: Dorf | September 7, 2006 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I usually get the three busty ladies, but I have the option of finding them in Brooklyn (for obvious reasons). Today Vonage seems to be making a strong play for this page. I guess it makes sense; how else am I going to talk to my busty Bucktown broads?

Jason, can we get a Clinton update when you see him? Much appreciated if so. I'd love to know if he's actually practicing, and how he looks if he does if he does. I hope he's feeling 90+% if he decides to play on MNF...

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | September 7, 2006 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Great updates, Jason. I'd be interested what the feedback is from players & coaches about the blog. Obviously, you know the owner reads it, but I wonder if what you post here affects the way you deal with players.

Thanks for the hard (extra, non-paying work).

Posted by: G Money | September 7, 2006 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Is Coach Janky Spanky back yet?? or Dolla Bill??

Posted by: Town Idiot | September 7, 2006 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Jason,

Glad you like Babyshambles. Def check out the debut album from Dirty Pretty Things as well (available on iTunes US, finally.) DPT is Carl Barat's (the other half of the Libertines) new band. They rock pretty hard.

Glad this blog will be around for the whole Skins season!

Posted by: Pete Doherty is innocent! | September 7, 2006 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Forger Pete Doherty Jason. TOOL is who you need to check out. Actually you should head to their show at MCI/Verizon/Telecom Company Name Center on Sat. Sept 30. They'll blow your mind. Coincidentially, LaVar Arrington said (in an interview years ago) that he actually likes to listen to Tool while he works out.

Spiral Out, Keep going.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | September 7, 2006 11:51 AM | Report abuse

The LA Times is reporting that Spencer Havner was signed to the Practice Squad -- http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-uclarep7sep07,1,1894847.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

What's that about?

Posted by: Tim (DC) | September 7, 2006 11:53 AM | Report abuse

How do you guys think the Redskins will fair this season? I have them going 11-5. Jason: How do you think they'll do?

Posted by: Rob | September 7, 2006 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Jason - I enjoy your blog. Keep up the good work, man.

Everytime a reader ask about how players are in real life you always respond with positives - "Cooley is cool" .. "Mcintosh has a good sense of humor" .. etc etc. While I trus these to be true, what I want to know is, are there any players on the team that you don't dig or is a complete jackass ? Come on, there's gotta be some bad apples out there out of 53 players ?

Posted by: Gmbrz | September 7, 2006 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Hey there everyone.
CP just walked in the building. Not sure he'd be able to practice, but I doubt it.

As for bad guys here, I really can't say anyone. Had my run ins with Vinny and the owner, and Coach Joe has called me into his office a time or two, but it's alwasy been worked out and that's part of life on the beat.

Sean Taylor has his bad days, and anyone can get surly a time or two, but, again, that's the nature of the job. Honestly, this is a great locker room and coaching staff to work with.

Pete Doherty - will check out Dirty Pretty Things soon. I was emailing someone about that disc the other day. I'm sure it rocks.
Tool is alright; saw them play a bunch on Lollapalooza back in the day, I think.
Actually, trying to find a way to get out of work quickly on October 13 to get back to B-more to see Frank Black.
Saw both Pixies shows at DAR a few years back, and they rocked. Frank's solos stuff is killer also.

Glad others can vouch for the rotating hotties on the blog ads. I think those ads must rotate on more after 9 pm or something. Hubba Hubba.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | September 7, 2006 2:10 PM | Report abuse

"Not sure he'd be able to practice, but I doubt it."

I don't give a damn about the grammar in this blog (and I love the blog.) But that sentence is kinda brutal. It's like a quadruple negative and I'm not good enough at math to figure out what it means. It also happens to be the one sentence that every redskins fan is desperate to read and decifer.

You bastage, are you intentionally toying with us????

Posted by: An archer of loaf | September 7, 2006 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Jason, thanks for keeping us updated on some many Redskins items that might otherwise fall through the cracks. On this latest post, however, you explain you sat down with Gibbs and talked about Ortega, then he pointed out some deer. It kind of begs the question, but I'll bite. What did Joe actually say about Buck (Ortega)?

Posted by: what about buck? | September 7, 2006 4:53 PM | Report abuse

"...and Coach Joe has called me into his office a time or two..."

Now you can't make a comment like that and just let it go! Details!

Posted by: P Diddy | September 7, 2006 7:56 PM | Report abuse