R. Thomas Looks for Humor in His Hurt

Since tearing his right triceps Sept. 20 against St. Louis, guard Randy Thomas has undergone surgery, been placed on injured reserve and contemplated how he can best get over the fact that he will not play for the Redskins the rest of the season. But he cannot escape one fact.

"I have to have a great sense of humor, but the point is I'm out, and it [stinks]," Thomas said in the Redskins' locker room Wednesday, the first time he has addressed media members since his injury. "I really felt the best that I've felt in my career, and then you get hit with something that wasn't bothering you at all.

"That is the part of the game that people just don't see. They don't see the commitment and the drive that a guy has. They only see the guy who gets hurt. They say, 'Oh, this guy's always getting hurt.' But they don't see what these guys go through to get back on the field, and he takes another blow."

Thomas, 33, tore his left triceps in the second game of the 2007 season, worked to return in December, but then suffered the same injury and was lost for the year. With that in mind, he called the Redskins' decision to put him on injured reserve -- making him ineligible to return this season -- "smart." For now, he has to keep his right arm as still as possible to allow the muscle, which has been re-attached to the bone, to strengthen.

"It's just the process of rehab, once again," Thomas said. "That's the most difficult part of it, and dealing with getting hurt, the way it went down, and the timing. That's what you got to deal with, ...not being able to be out there with the guys, going through what we're going through, and not being able to do anything about it on a personal level."

Thomas said he is not even considering the possibility that the injury could end his career.

"I never had that thought in my mind," he said. "I don't get into it. Whatever happens, happens. That's life. But mentally in my mind, I'm never giving up until I say enough is enough."

Thomas said he will be a fixture at Redskins Park and that he will attend road games. His particular mission: Helping second-year guard Chad Rinehart, his replacement, improve.
"I got to do my part," Thomas said. "This is my team. I'm not disappearing because I can't play. Like I said I'm going to help Rinehart as much as I can and help the other guys and be there and do my part."

By Barry Svrluga  |  September 30, 2009; 4:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis: 'It's Only a Matter of Time'
Next: Haynesworth MRI Shows Only a Strain

Comments

I hoe Rinehart plays with a nastier streak than R Thomas did....the team needs to get meaner and tougher, and show some freakin desire....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 30, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know his cap hit if he's cut next offseason?

Posted by: dfbovey | September 30, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

good to hear about RT wanting to help CR, but bad to hear that he's not going to walk away....writing is on the wall....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Hope that is:)

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 30, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

4th, thanks for those updates, I appreciate the info....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 4:01 PM

1st to say No Problamo....

I am loving this CBSSports thingy. It's like their tweeting w/o actually using Twitter which I don't use......

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

BeantownGreg1,
yep. He was good when he was good, but now I think it's over.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

3rd time he's torn his tricep muscle ...kind of weird how many times thats happened....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I would say that the fans paid for the right to boo the product the Skins put on the field against the Rams. And the product was worse the following week. If the same product is displayed on Sunday against the Bucs, then the fans again will have paid for the right to boo.

4th, let me add my voice to greg's...thanks for the info...

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 30, 2009 4:12 PM

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 30, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

dfbovey

"With his age, salary and injury history... I just don't see how he'll be on the roster next year."

I agree.

The re-build the offensive line, the team should already have a list of potential free agents and bring in low cost guys strictly for depth purposes.

But whether the 1st round pick be a running back or quarterback, three of the remaining picks should be linemen--especially at the tackle position.

To me, Thomas' name should be on a long list of long time redskins whose day in the burgandy and gold sun is over.

It's time to move on.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 30, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

The defense is the problem. As much as we'd like to have a high scoring offense, we haven't had that in a long, long time.

What we had last year was a #4 ranked defense, that we sank a lot of money into upgrading.

Now we have a #17 ranked defense, following games against the Lions and the Rams. That is horrible, and that's the problem.

The offense is probably the same or better than it was last year. The defense is markedly worse.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 30, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Can you teach him how to PULL?

Posted by: ElYeah | September 30, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

My hat is off to Randy Thomas. He is right ... as fans, we have NO clue what happens before and after Sundays. Good luck in your rehab big man! Also, it is commendable that he wants to help the young guys taking his spot on the line.

Posted by: gilk | October 1, 2009 5:27 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know his cap hit if he's cut next offseason?

Posted by: dfbovey | September 30, 2009 4:11 PM
----------------------------------

These numbers are if he is cut after June 1. If he is cut before June 1, then half of that number kicks in that year and the other half kicks in the following year.

If he is cut next year, it will be a $2.531 million cap hit.

If he is cut in 2011, it will be a $1.225 million cap hit.

If he is cut in 2012, it will be a cap savings of $1.4 million.

If he is cut in 2013, it will be a cap savings of $3.225 million.

However, if the cap goes away next year, then we won't have to worry about any cap hits.

Posted by: midniterc | October 1, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse