Rabach: 'I Like the Position We're in'

Jason Reid reports:

Center Casey Rabach briefly stopped into the media room to chat about the team's offseason moves as players arrived at Redskins Park for the first day of offseason workouts. Right tackle Jon Jansen was waiting for him, so Rabach got right to the point.

"We put ourselves in a good position to start the season, barring injury," he said. "There's a lot that can happen during the season, but I like the position we're in right now. On paper, we look real good. But we'll know when the season starts."

Rabach said he planned to get back into a workout rhythm this week.

"Just getting reacquainted, just getting back into the swing of things," he said. "Obviously, working out at home is a little but different than working out here. Going back into the regimen of being on schedule and all that stuff, and doing it their way, takes a little while."

By Cindy Boren  |  March 16, 2009; 10:17 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn: Haynesworth Will Make Others Better
Next: Jay Cutler a Redskin?

Comments

Colin CowTurd is coming to town Thursday and doing his live radio show.

Can we get a crowd of booers to go and embarrass him on national radio/tv for those Wilbonesque comments he made immediately after ST21's death? He shouldn't be welcomed, if you ask me........

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

It depends on the price tag but in a vacuum I would rather have Cutler over JC, just personal opinion but I think Cutler along with Rivers and Big Ben is one of the 3 young game changers at QB. JC is decent but no defenses fear him and he doesn't make anybody respect our passing game. We can all make the excuses that its cause he doesn't have any receivers or a good oline but Cutler did it last year with Brandon Marshall and that was it, and how many great receivers has Mcnabb had or Brady until recently? Great QB's always make the receivers look better but wr's can only do so much to make a qb look good. IMHO JC is a decent guy but Cutler would be a definite upgrade.

However, it depends on the price tag, if we could get him for our 3rd or even our 3rd this year and 3 or a 2 next year, I'd do it. If we could get him for JC and Betts and a our 5th I'd do it. If we could get him for JC and our 3rd I'd do it, but if they even bring up our 1st hang up immediately.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 16, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Ok I did the math for last years first round picks

Of the 31 first round rookie picks last season the average starts 8.71 games
8 started 16 games
4 started no games
7 started 10+
1 started 8+

Posted by: alex35332 | March 16, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm not great at math, but there were 31 1st round picks last year, 8+7+4+1 = 20.....so what happened to the other 11 picks?

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 16, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Once again, great to hear the Redskin park gossip, but what about some real information that one would call "Insider" information.

Could we get a break down of cap room, possibly FA we are still pursuing, any discussion with FO about the draft, possibly a breakdown on where ReRun and JLAC think we need to address, etc.

As "so-call Journalists" you guys should be embarassed and ashamed. I have read college newspapers that detail spring games and next year, better than you D-Bags cover the Skins. I hope they dont pay you two much to gossip and play tickle in the media room at Redskins Park.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 16, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Ok I did the math for last years first round picks

Of the 31 first round rookie picks last season the average starts 8.71 games
8 started 16 games
4 started no games
7 started 10+
1 started 8+

So odds are our first pick will end up playing next season but also less then likely they will start. FYI the 13th pick last year was Jonathan Stewart started 0 games for Carolina (RB), same as the 14th pick Chris Williams OT CHI also, but the 12th an OT for Denver started 16.

In conclusion who knows for sure but there are some #s

Posted by: alex35332 | March 16, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

keywords "barring injury"

Posted by: TheTruth11 | March 16, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

"It depends on the price tag but in a vacuum I would rather have Cutler over JC"
Posted by: zjfr2

Yes... yes... and yes! Can't believe some absurd rumors haven't already begun on this topic as Vinny & Danny aren't sold on JC at this point, as evidenced by the lack of a contract extension.

I'd love to see Cutler's fire in burgundy and gold... we haven't had an ego driven QB who could back it up under center since Joey Sunshine!!!

Posted by: bschaef11 | March 16, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Completely agree, if Denver were to call and offer JCamp and 3rd Rounder of next year, I would take Cutler in a heartbeat.

Little concerned over his whining and bickering...this is business and you can get traded anytime.

I like Cutler, think he is a proven leader and is fiery when need be. I think he would do real well here.

Something I would entertain if I had the job.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 16, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

The other ones had 1-7 starts.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | March 16, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

ZFJ
THey started between 8-1 games. I just figures starting 1/2 the season was a good threshold for player progress.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 16, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Rabach just needs to make sure he doesn't get dominated by every big nose tackle he faces this year.

Posted by: ga8085 | March 16, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

"...barring injury." Isn't that the offensive line's adder for just about everything they do? It's also part of the problem because these guys are too old and rickety to hold up for an entire season. Dockery should help reverse this trend, but just about every other lineman had some sort of boo-boo last season. When they get hurt; they don't practice and when they don't practice; it shows on Sunday in how they don't work together as a team. It's a pity the Redskins spent all of their money on Haynesworth and they were incapable of making a sizeable offer to a durable right tackle. This will bite them at some point this season. Even if Heyer comes in looking like the man at right tackle, it's almost a lock that he will suffer some sort of injury this season, and when he does, who will back him up? He of-cement-booties Jansen? Come on, the guy has lost a step. Speaking of Rabach, with Geisinger unsigned, who is the backup for Rabach? I hope they are planning on drafting a whole slew of o-linemen in the draft, because this plan doesn't look like a plan to me.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 16, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

anyone got a breakdown or side by side comparison of Cutler vs. Campbell last year, that would be interesting to see, hard to do on a mobile phone.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 16, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

One more thing......

Colin CowTurd is coming to town Thursday and doing his live radio show.

Posted by: 4thFloor

4th, I would love to embarrass Cowherd.....for the horrible comments he made about our beloved Sean T AND for the comments he continually makes about the Skins in general. Seriously, the guy spends far too much time dissing the Skins....it's like he had an obsession with out team.

Posted by: Lisa_R | March 16, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Any word on Shaffer from Cleveland, sounded like he was a pretty good OL and available, did not sound like his price tag was too high, anyone know.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 16, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 16, 2009 10:21 AM

We should stay as far away from this trade as possible. If the trade happens and it is not a QB for QB trade, then the Skins once again will have been taken advantage of again. But this trade should not even be considered.

If Cutler is traded he will be traded to the browns who have either Anderson or Quinn to offer up as well as more picks.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 16, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 16, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Denver will demand atleast a 1st rounder for Cutler. While I think the idea of bringing him in is intriguing, I think the price will be too steep and Zorn won't agree with Cutler's gunslinging/ high int mentality.

Posted by: ga8085 | March 16, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Agree, TheTruth.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | March 16, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

ZFJ,
For you just to give you the exact info.
Starts No Rookies who started that many games
4 0
3 3
2 1
1 1
0 4

Posted by: alex35332 | March 16, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Rabach didn't get penalized much last year (3 total) although 2 of them were in the same game and resulting in a TD being called back. He was tagged with 5.5 sacks allowed.

I'm starting to be concerned that the Skins will not be in a position to draft Oher, Monroe, or Jason Smith at 13. If that's the case, rather than take a 2nd rounder at 13, should they trade down and pick up some talent in the second round?

Jay Cutler is a whiner.

And if he's so great, how come Josh McDaniel is alienating the guy? If he's really a top 10 QB, as young as he is wouldn't McDaniel make him the centerpiece of the offense?

Posted by: dpc2003 | March 16, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Cutler 2008 - 4,526 yds 25 TDs 18 picks

JC 2008 - 3,245 yds 13 TDs 6 picks

pretty dramatic difference, and personally, I'd take more picks for more TDs, and for those saying all they did was throw the ball, we finished 8th in the league with 2095 rushing yds for the year, they finished 12th with 1862 yards. And they were 2nd in total offense where as we were 19th. Like I said, depends on the price tag but I'd take Cutler over JC any day of the week and twice on sunday...

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 16, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

keywords "barring injury"

Posted by: TheTruth11 | March 16, 2009 10:28 AM

But that's every year with every team in any sports at any level......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

You people are crazy to want Cutler here. I think this episode speaks volumes about his character. He’s the team leader because of the position he plays, and the first time he’s hit with adversity, his has a hissy fit. Think back when CP made those comments about JZ after he was benched. How many of you got on his back? Imagine if JZ sat Cutler and didn’t communicate the reason why, just like he did CP. Do you all really think Cutler would let it blow over? I don’t want another team’s headache.

Posted by: TWISI | March 16, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Cutler put his house in Denver on the market.

Great move by the franchise: whomever thinks the Redskins are dysfunctional, what about the Broncos? Ye Gods.

Cutler in 2008
Rating ATT COMP PCT YDS
86.0 384 616 62.3 4526

TD INT
25 18

Better all around than JC, although he had a heck of a receiving corps (Marshall, Royal, Stokely, and D. Jackson).

Posted by: dpc2003 | March 16, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I don't happen to really care for Cutler myself but I don't get the reaction some of you take that it is ridiculous for people to want Cutler. So far he has shown that he can be a top 5 qb in this league. JC has not.

Cutler wasn't really disruptive under Shanahan. It sounds as if McDaniels is coming in trying to be Bill Belicheck. The problem being that he's not. It's one thing for BB to come in and say "My way or the highway" it's another thing for a guy who's won exactly zero games as a HC to do it.

Posted by: Gweez | March 16, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Cutler has Pro bowl physical talent but has practice squad level maturity. The coach has had years of Brady so he has his own idea of what you need from the leader of your team.

Posted by: will_ga | March 16, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

McDaniels did not make him the centerpiece, b/c I think he knew what he would getting with Cassel and he felt they could win right away with someone familiar with his offensive style.

I dont think they will do it, b/c Cutler would have to come in here and pick up this system. Takes too long. I do think Zorn would pick him up. Hasselback was sort of a slinger in Seattle.

Having that many TD's thrown and the fact that he does not seem to be scared to throw the long ball, over the middle ball, sideline, he would be an upgrade over Campbell.

Campbell to me seems to shy now, too afraid to make mistakes, cant think that way as a QB, just like in BBall you got to keep shooting.

Cutler would be nice addition, but not for a steep price that they would want, I would think Browns make a play or would be ideal fit, possibly Jax, Dolpins, Seattle and Detroit could be a fit...just my thoughts

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 16, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Career
Jay Cut: 37 starts/ 37 games
762 comp 1,220 Att 62.5% 9,024 yds 7.4 ypc 54 td 37 int 51sacks 307 sk yds lost 87.1 QBR 113 Rsh Att 423 Rsh yds 3.7 ypr 3 td 24 fumb 8 lost

Campbell: 36 starts/ 36 games
675 comp 1,130 Att 59.7% 7,242 yds 6.4 ypc 35TD 23INT 66sacks 431 sk yds lost 80.4 QBR 107 Rush att 550 rush yds 5.1 ypc 2 TD 21 fumb 9 fumb lost.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 16, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Cutler 2008 - 4,526 yds 25 TDs 18 picks

JC 2008 - 3,245 yds 13 TDs 6 picks

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 16, 2009 10:41 AM |

You left out the fact that Cutler had 110 more Att. then JC, and he had no running game.

Cutler was forced to throw the ball all over the place, here he would be expected to play a lot different.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 16, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I know he would be expected to play different here, but would he really be...

Zorn is a west coast offensive guy...pass first. He runs first here, b/c we have Portis and Campbell has been inconsistent.
Zorn I think would throw more with Cutler back as QB, he would feel more comfortable taking chances and throwing the ball.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 16, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Denver has one of the better OL's in the NFL, not to mention the whole Mile High factor on the team play. Not sure how the 2nd effects a QB overall but its worth noting.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 16, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Cutler had Brandon Marshall. We do NOT have Brandon Marshall.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 16, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1

Our lack of a passing game was due to our LACK of playmaking WRs on the field - not so much JC not being comfortable throwing the ball.....he had no one to throw it to when Santana was covered.

Personally, I think Zorn discouraged JC from throwing the Deep Balls (or passing in general). Think about it...the first half of the season our running game was working very well and JC had not turned the ball over at all. Zorn did not want to mess with that.

Posted by: Lisa_R | March 16, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

4thfloor:

Gonna' miss it for sure. I listened in on his take ONCE about CARON BUTLER back to the West Coast. Clueless. Now I just dial him out ALL the time and whatever venue he's in.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 16, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

easy solution, trade Marcus Mason for Cutler, and Denver's first round pick.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 16, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Isn't Cassel in KC? Are you thinking that KC and DEN will cut a deal Cutler for Cassel? Wow, division rivals trading QB's. When's the last time THAT happened?

Look, Cutler has played really well, and he's a young QB. It seems beyond stupidity to come to town and immediately alienate the guy to the point where it appears likely he'll be traded.

What is McDaniel thinking?

Maybe DEN is still suffering from Elway-itis, and fans there can't stand a QB that doesn't look like a horse.

Posted by: dpc2003 | March 16, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 16, 2009 10:57 AM

Dude, it's not that simple...the O-line is full of big, physical maulers who do their best work in power run game. Not a good group to throw the ball all over the lot. Whether or not the QB fits that type of offense or not, the only other guy who would fit in an offense like that is Portis. So you'd have 9 other guys on the field playing to their weaknesses and that's obviously not good.

I don't get the clamoring for Cutler other than the fact that the Redskins and most of the fans get geared up for "name" guys who play elsewhere. Cutler's never won a playoff game and I've seen no evidence that he has what it takes to be a quality leader on and off the field. The only thing I see from him is whining and arguing with Philip Rivers. Not a good body of work so far.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 16, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

What I don't like about the way Cutler reacted is instead letting his play, his commitment to the new offense, show Josh that he's the franchise QB of the future there, he's being disruptive to the team by demanding a trade. Such action from the leader of the team will only result in dividing that locker room whether Cutler's there or not this year.

Posted by: TWISI | March 16, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Cutler had Brandon Marshall. We do NOT have Brandon Marshall.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 16, 2009 11:02 AM

At this point, I'd take Penny Marshall at WR and call it an upgrade...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 16, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Exactly, 4th floor. That's why they don't just play the season on paper.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | March 16, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Lisa R

I see your point, but how many times that Campbell got sacked or screwed up did you look back at replay and see not 1, but possibly 2 open WR. Do I think Zorn, pushed him to not throw the ball downfield, probably, but if you dont trust your QB or the players on your team to catch the ball or run right routes, then why do you have them on your team. Cutler has a wicked quick release, Campbell does not...but again, I think Campbell plays scared and does not take chances b/c he does not want to be wrong or get chided, we dont need that in a QB.

I dont dislike Campbell, just would not turn down a better option.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 16, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

In pass situations, LEN HAUSS's favorite move when all else failed was a flop chop block on his defender. I think that's now a penalty in the NFL. CASEY could have been as good as HAUSS if that move was still available. JEEZE, what's a center to do when you're not big, or quick enough to wrestle with the big boys like ALBERT HAYNESWORTH? Hey BUGELS, a little help.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 16, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Cutler is one of the best QBs in the game, and he led the #2 rated offense in the league. If the Broncos even had a smidgen of defense, the Broncos would have been a legit playoff team.

Of course, Cutler did have Shanahan backing him up, which is equivalent to James Harrison having Dick Lebeau backing him up or Barrett Ruud having Monte Kiffin backing him up. Jim Zorn is no Mike Shanahan.

Campbell is a fine QB in this league, Cutler is a fine QB in this league. Both can get it done. This team simply doesn't have the ammunition to get Cutler, so it's really pointless to talk about it.

Posted by: psps23 | March 16, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood agreed...like I said, I dont dislike Campbell, but Cutler seems to be more polished and has confidence...it wont happen and I dont care if it does, I would welcome it though.

I dont know what it will take for Campbell to get his confidence up and I think that is the real issue when he is the pocket and taking forever. You cant deny, he takes too long, OL has serious issues, but he does hold on for what seems to be eternity at times.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 16, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

easy solution, trade Marcus Mason for Cutler, and Denver's first round pick.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 16, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Winner!

Posted by: Gweez | March 16, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

It seems JZ has become a spread guy.

Is is me or has the 'The Spread' become the 2009 WCO? That is what it seems to have evolved to. Anyone else see that?

If that is true, I would more satisfied than having a true WCO with Redskins running game terminalogy.............

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Skins should take Connor Barwin to play at SAM or DE, though he's a little light for a DE. Guy is an incredible athlete and should be a ST standout while learning the strongside position. He started at TE, moved to DE his senior year but at 252 is light for that in the 4-3. Should be able to add weight.

Posted by: dpc2003 | March 16, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

JAGUARS RELEASE MATT JONES
Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2009, 10:49 a.m. EDT
The Jacksonville Jaguars have given receiver Matt Jones plenty of chances to live up to the hype that made the converted quarterback a first-round draft pick nearly four years ago.

Apparently, drinking beer while golfing was the last straw.

According to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen, the Jaguars have released Jones, two days after he was released from jail.

Jones was jailed for five days after testing positive for alcohol as part of the diversion program that allowed him to avoid felony cocaine possession charges.

It’s fitting that Mort would report what could be the final bit of news regarding Jones’ NFL career, given that Mortensen gushed in March 2005 regarding the player’s potential.

Said Mortensen at the time: “Matt Jones won’t be among the top 10 players selected in the April 23-24 draft, but I will venture to say that he’ll play in more Pro Bowls than almost any of those guys. And I will laugh, knowing I told you so.”

For the record, Jones has played in, um, zero Pro Bowls.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 16, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 16, 2009 11:14 AM

I don't think confidence is his problem...some QBs can compensate for whatever their line lacks. JC definitely holds the ball too long at times and his wind up is pretty slow by NFL standards. But I think if you put him in a great situation like the one Peyton Manning has in Indy or Tom Brady in New England, you'd be surprised by how efficient he is. I'm not saying he'd put up numbers like those guys, but I think it'll be shown that Matt Cassel had the year he had because of the situation in New England, not because he's necessarily that good.

Basically, a QB is only as good as the team around him. Put Peyton Manning on the Redskins and I doubt he puts up Pro Bowl numbers.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 16, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

who cares!

JUST TRADE FOR CUTLER!

JUST TRADE FOR CUTLER!

JUST TRADE FOR CUTLER!

Posted by: Hondo5 | March 16, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

4th I think I get what you mean by the spread being the new WCO. I don't think its new as much as its what the Pats were doing on their 18-1 season. The one exception is that the O-Line is still tight together like they are in the pros.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 16, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1

That's what I keep waiting to hear. How come the Redskins havn't scheduled a visit with him yet? I know the front office has to realize that they are not going to be able to fill all their holes in the draft. If we sign Shaffer we can draft a DE or LB.

Posted by: F0X7 | March 16, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Matt Jones will be an intriguing pick up for some one.

Us, I hope. He can be the new ARE. Dude can play (when not high).

Maybe we can get him to sign a vets min contract to prove himself this year ala DHall last year..........

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

WOW about Jones, thats a brave stance on behalf of the Jags.....I thought he'd be a player when he first came out...wow...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 16, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Avoid Cutler.

He'll make a business decision about his contract when it's up, just like the team will when it realises he no longer serves its purposes. And any NFL player who doesn't get this part of the game is massively immature and should be avoided.

You want the proper reaction from a starting quarterback? Well, look into the redskin mirror.

Check out how Jason Campbell responded all season in the face of poor blocking, dropped passes, run heavy playcalling, and a 'no love for a brutha' fanbase that wants Colt one week and Jay Culter the next.

And despite his flaws, he seems like a level headed, cool, grown-a$$ed man to Moe.

Something Jay Cutler is not.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 16, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 16, 2009 11:31 AM

I'm not surprised...dude was just another example of GMs getting boners off of a "workout warrior". Dude's measurables at the combine were great, but you can't measure a guy's heart or focus. Or in Jones' case, alcohol volume...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 16, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Alex,

That's when I noticed it. During the Pats trajic 18-1 Season.

I heard college teams were running it alot as well, but I thought it was a gimmick until I saw the Pats do it......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Well said, Moe. I think that's the first post of yours I've actually agreed with...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 16, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Our O-line will be our fall or rise once again this year, not QB. Matt Cassel sucks, hes a system QB with a great O-line, minus that one play that knocked out the Golden Boy

Posted by: BurgwithaU | March 16, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

The guy is over reacting, but Campbell is the exact opposite.

He under-reacts IMHO. The brotha does get love. How quick you forget about 6-2.

You can not tell me that he dosen't deserve some criticisim. I mean Rothlesberger was getting jacked up, but his team still made it to da SuperBowl last year.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Then we are in agreement. I hate to use a EA Sports reference. But I try to run the same type of system in Madden and NCAA football. Basically 50% of my play system would be 4-5 WR and most the running is out of a Jumbo Set or some formation with a lot of talent blockers. Basically go all in either way and make sure your talent is strong enough to do what you need them to.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 16, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

4thfloor

'...He-Matt Jones-can be the new ARE...'

Devin Thomas is the new 'ARE' seeing how the old one hasn't been the shifty complementary wide out to Moss we thought he was when the came on board.

Matt Jones has the kind of problem that gets fixed by 12 steps and humility. Perhaps that, and not football, is what he should be fixated on.

Matt Jones, like Cutler, needs to get his 'stuff' together and remember there are tons of guys who'd kill to have just a sniff (no pun intended) of an NFL career.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 16, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

+++Colin CowTurd is coming to town Thursday and doing his live radio show.

Posted by: 4thFloor +++

That would be classless and Dallas-like. You want to send a message? Fill the room with fans who sit on their hands. Don't boo, don't cheer. Don't applaud. Just stare. THAT will drive the guy nuts.

Posted by: TheCork | March 16, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

The new head of the NFLPA is a 'Skins fan.

No more salary cap disputes!!

Posted by: swowra | March 16, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 16, 2009 10:24 AM

JC17s numbers were better than Big Ben's last year. JC17 has gotten better every year. It's a shame so many fans are more enamored with personality than performance. Jay Cutler? He11 no.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 16, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

The new head of the NFLPA is a 'Skins fan.

===============

Posted by: swowra | March 16, 2009 11:46 AM

And he is from Landover. Where I current reside. The Hood baby!

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

"The guy is over-reacting to the fact that the Denver Broncos are a business entity and not some high school football team that treats it's star quarterback like he's god."

Regardless of what you think of Cutler as a person, you have to realize that business is a 2-way street.

Who needs who more? Cutler can go to 20+ teams in this league and get paid handsomely. He doesn't need the Broncos for that. Or he can sit idly, do the minimum required effort, and collect paychecks. However, if Cutler gets traded, who will the Broncos fall back on? Patrick Ramsey?

This is a business. And just like a business that p*sses of its operational executive with unique skills that few in the business world can emulate, the Broncos made a poor choice. It's very simple, the Broncos need Cutler now much more than Cutler needs the Broncos. They created the mess they're in, nobody else did. And now they're dealing with it.

Posted by: psps23 | March 16, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Cutler did it last year with Brandon Marshall and that was it,

Posted by: russberlin65 | March 16, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

+++keywords "barring injury"

Posted by: TheTruth11 | March 16, 2009 10:28 AM

But that's every year with every team in any sports at any level......

Posted by: 4thFloor +++

But of course. But old and small and previously hurt doesn't help the odds of a team STAYING injury free.

Samuels is all-pro healthy but has been getting dinged.

Dock is young and big and relatively injury free--so far.

Rabach is undersized and hit thirty but relatively injury free so far.

Thomas--don't ask.

ORT: Heyer and Jansen might get a full season between them if they're lucky.

Cooley--BETTER stay healthy.

Count on Portis, Moss, ARE, and Kelly to spend more time in the whirlpool than the playing field.

Rabach's point is well taken.

Posted by: TheCork | March 16, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Campbell rarely had enough time to wait for the deeper (7 yd+) passes to develop before the pass rush got to him. I expect improvement this year, with better pass protection.

BTW, if Cutler is traded it would probably be to a team like the Vikings or Bears... The Skins have nothing to offer in a trade.

Posted by: siris | March 16, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

The Skins running a 'spread' offense?

Moe hopes so. The two tight end, under the center, slug it out running the ball 30 times a game offense is passe.

So many drafted college quarterbacks run open style, three/four wide out set offenses that it makes sense that pro teams would soon catch on.

It's seems lost on many people that the stillers/pats/colts/broncos/chargers/iggles/cards play the shot gun as a base offense and open the field with 3 wide sets where the slot guy attacks the middle of the field.

I think Jason Campbell will excell in this kind of offense as he seemed to play better in an up-tempo format. We'll see what happens when Portis doesn't get his 25-30 carries a game.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 16, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Cutler's a very talented QB. But I think it would be wrong to compare his numbers with Campbell's based on the simple fact that both allegedly ran West Coast offenses.

Zorn put in a West Coast scheme in camp, but it became clear the team wasn't configured to run it. For one, they didn't have the pass blockers, especially once Heyer went down. For another, they didn't have the big receivers that make the West Coast hum.

Brandon Marshall, for instance. Malcolm Kelly didn't become Brandon Marshall.

Cutler had his own problems with Denver. Those INTs, for instance. Those are drive killers. Many resulted from Denver's overreliance on the pass, rather than any clear flaw of Cutler's. Still, he gambled a lot more than Campbell had to.

What you've got, I think, are two talented, flawed young QBs. Cutler's the better improviser, the better deep thrower. Campbell's more disciplined and on short and medium routes at least, more accurate.

Neither, paradoxically, is a prototypical West Coast QB. That would be Joe Montana or Steve Young. Brett Favre had a lot of success in Green Bay but he was never a great fit for the West Coast, either.

I don't see a quick fix in this imaginary QB exchange.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 16, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

"I mean Rothlesberger was getting jacked up, but his team still made it to da SuperBowl last year."

And if Roethlisberger were the QB here, he would get annihilated by the fans for holding the ball too long, throwing too few TDs, and relying on his defense to carry the load. Only his defense wouldn't be able to carry the load the way Pittsburgh's did, because this one doesn't (didn't) have James Harrison or Troy Polumalu caliber players being sent on blitzes from Dick Lebeau.

Posted by: psps23 | March 16, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 |

psps23, I believe the Broncos picked up Chris Simms as a backup (Ramsey released)and McDaniels really likes Simms.

Posted by: Lisa_R | March 16, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

If you guys keep talking about a spread offense, the RI monkeys will start screaming for Colt Brennan.

Posted by: swowra | March 16, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I suspect the remaining holes (LDE, SLB, backup C/G, backup G/T, and RT) will be sorted out after the draft. We'll probably see the draft picks + a mix of free and undrafted agents competing for the positions in training camp.

The roster is never determined until the end of camp, so even though the Skins might resign Washington or Daniels -- they still have to earn a spot.

Posted by: siris | March 16, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R

-------

Fair enough. I don't think that's much better though. Simms is much closer to being Patrick Ramsey than he is to being Jay Cutler.

Posted by: psps23 | March 16, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Now does anyone remember, T_E may because he and I went on a rant about it, after game 1 loss to NYG myself and a few others were saying that JC did good work in shotgun. Jasno posted a stat line where JC was like 10%+ more accurate in shotgun then from under center.

Then the skins played like 7 games where they ran hard and passed a lot from the gun and we went like 6-2 or something.

Then we stopped using shotgun as much because Pit was able to blitz through it and we wanted to go WC and said screw what works implement the system.

Ya...

Posted by: alex35332 | March 16, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

psps23

'It's very simple, the Broncos need Cutler now much more than Cutler needs the Broncos.'

Sorry, bro', but in the NFL world, players come and go. The teams last forever.

Look at how and why Portis is a redskin: the broncos made a business decision and let him go via a trade--and still had a sound running game.

Signing a contract means you work for the team, and not the other way a round.

Cutler should just chill, play hard, and when the contract is up, then remind the team about his treatment--making them pay for it through the nose beats shouting about it in the media any day.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 16, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | March 16, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

You've obviously mistaken this world for one that appreciates subtlety.

Posted by: SMACK1 | March 16, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

How ironic is it that people are clamoring for Jay Cutler, when Clinton Portis called out the Skins O-line last year wishing for Denver's?

If Cutler came here, you would likely see a precipitous drop in his performance behind the Skins current O-line. Then Cutler and Portis could both reminisce about what it was like playing behind an O-line that could actually withstand a standard 4 man front.

Why do QBs and RBs put up better numbers in Denver than in DC? It's the O-line, stupid!

Posted by: Alan4 | March 16, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

So, did the WashPost AGAIN do a critical 3 part series analysis of MD Basketball TOO SOON?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Why, 4th, because they backed into a 65 team tournament? They're still losing local talent, and will win one tournament game, tops. That ain't grand.

Posted by: SMACK1 | March 16, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

"Sorry, bro', but in the NFL world, players come and go. The teams last forever."

It's the exact same principle for any business. That doesn't make every employee easily replaceable.

"Signing a contract means you work for the team, and not the other way a round."

Au contraire. Singing a contract means both parties are binding. As long as he's under contract, the Broncos are indebted to Cutler as much as Cutler is indebted to the Broncos.

The Broncos have every right to explore or execute a trade of Cutler. That doesn't mean Cutler has to sit around idly and take it lying down. He's being told his job isn't secure, but he knows he can go to a majority of the other teams in the league and be told otherwise. He's looking out for #1, which is exactly what 99% of people here would do if they were told their job's weren't secure. The Broncos gambled, and right now they're losing. I have no sympathy for the Broncos in this situation, and completely understand Cutler's take (which is not to say that I sympathize with Cutler or don't understand the Broncos' take. I understand that too.).

Posted by: psps23 | March 16, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK1 | March 16, 2009 12:15 PM

Maybe I should have read those articles, before I opened my mouth huh?

Nevermind. (Though Maryland has never since G Williams have gotten the best players in DC and Maryland and he still won a championship with other final 4 and Sweet 16 apperances)........

Sorry, I haven't read too much since all of this economic bad news the past 2 months, including the sports section.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: siris | March 16, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

That's because we cut Leigh Torrence.

Posted by: Section104 | March 16, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

"Look at how and why Portis is a redskin: the broncos made a business decision and let him go via a trade"

And if I'm not mistaken, Portis was under contract but upset with the Broncos, asked to be traded, then subsequently became the highest paid running back ever. Business -- a 2-way street.

Posted by: psps23 | March 16, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

"However, if Cutler gets traded, who will the Broncos fall back on? Patrick Ramsey?"

Like several have said, Ramsey's gone, but I wanted to go on record as saying he threw the prettiest spirals I ever saw. Threw them 100 miles per hour, which was a problem, but still, they were lovely to behold.

A good example of why a bullet passer is not often a good QB. John Elway notwithstanding.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 16, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

hey guys you all would get a good kick out of the comments post on the story with dangelo halls picture "despite big ticket aditions..." them guys really dont have a motha f*%^in clue go ever there and tell them whats good !!!!

Posted by: all_this_bs | March 16, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

For all the its the oline stupid and all that talk, first off, the resigning of Dockery, coupled with the drafting of a tackle at 13 makes our oline dramatically better than last year right away. IMHO we still need an upgrade at center but Rabach certainly isn't a liability and Thomas is still decent and would look a lot better I think with a good RT next to him. So our oline will be better this year. But!!!! we still had the leagues leading rusher through half the season last year and hit how many deep passes? how many times did JC burn the blitz....I'll never forget in the Bears game that JC got hurt in, one of Collins' first plays from scrimmage the Bears blitzed like they had been all night and he floated a little pass right of the blitz before Yoder had even turned to look for it and bam, just like that a TD...he didn't backpedal and wait for Yoder to break open and then throw he lead the receiver- something JC never does. With the same bad oline JC was struggling behind Collins won 4 straight and took us to the playoffs.

Does our Oline need improvement of last year....ABSOLUTELY...and assuming a tackle pick at 13 it is improved significantly. But this is the freaking NFL your not going to have all day to through, especially with the blitzing talented Ds in our division, you have to make quick decisions, know how to hit hot routes and burn blitzes, and take some chances...all things JC doesn't do.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 16, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Here's a longer version of an interview Maske did with DeMaurice Smith about two weeks ago:

Posted by: Cindy Boren | March 16, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy Boren | March 16, 2009 12:34 PM

So, is this the best thing that could have happened to the Skins?

Will DSmith let 2010 become unCAPped so Snyder can get his house back in order before they bring the salary cap back, and prob at the same number, if not lower?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Every time @thefix sez he's twittering the Gibbs presser, I have a moment in which I think, "Joe Gibbs?" How long until this stops???

Posted by: Cindy Boren | March 16, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

The Cutler, draft pick, M Jones, NFL free agents notwithstanding, Moe's cobra-like attention remains on a certain Palm Beach County boy named Anquan Boldin.

Boldin is the best player left for any team to get--if the price is right.

I wonder what the cards want: picks or players or a mix of both.

Folks say the skins don't have what it takes to get him--granted, but I hope to god he doesn't wind up with a team like the iggles that loaded with draft picks and a vet quarterback as a recruiter.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 16, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

JC has improved since the example you're citing 2 years ago. He did, after all play a major role in beating the Cowboys, Eagles, and Cardinals last year. If you look it up, you'll see those other teams safeties and QBs remarking on his marked improvement last year, depite the crappy O-line. Now, Zorn has a second year to work with his young QB. Why can't you acknowlegdge the improvement?

Posted by: Alan4 | March 16, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

"you have to make quick decisions, know how to hit hot routes and burn blitzes, and take some chances...all things JC doesn't do."

That's funny, because when the Redskins were 6-2, Campbell was in the league MVP discussion, and Santana Moss was burning blitzes left and right en route to being the #1 fantasy WR (combined yards and TDs) in the first chunk of the season, I could have sworn Campbell was doing some of these things right.

But I guess facts are facts, and Campbell never learned how to do these things. Especially in the 2nd half of the season, when teams were bringing the heavy blitzes and routinely left Moss and Cooley in single-coverage down the field, Campbell sure missed out on those opportunities. (In case it wasn't picked up on, that last paragraph was meant to be extremely sarcastic).

Posted by: psps23 | March 16, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

SOURCE: COOK WANTS NEW CONTRACT FOR CUTLER
Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2009, 11:34 a.m. EDT
With none of the top quarterbacks in the draft pool picking him to be their agent, Bus Cook had to find a way to get his name into the NFL conversation in the weeks leading up to the 2009 version of the rookie selection process.

What better way to do it than to demonstrate his power and influence to the quarterback class of 2010 by forcing a trade of Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler?

Dan Patrick said on the Monday edition of his show that Cook recently responded to a report from Peter King that Cutler had asked for a trade before the possibility of trading Cutler ever arose with the time-honored non-denial denial: “Not that I know of.”

We’re now convinced that Cook is the primary instigator of Cutler’s discontent — and also the primary impediment to a meaningful coach-player meeting that could resolve the situation and keep Cutler around.

King told Patrick on Monday that coach Josh McDaniels still wants to have a one-on-one meeting with Cutler.

In other words, McDaniels wants to be able to talk to Cutler without Cook sticking his nose into the discussion, saying and doing things that will prevent Cutler’s currently stubborn resolve from weakening.

Indeed, a league source tells us that Cook’s idea for solving the current impasse was — what else? — a fat new contract for Cutler. If the Broncos aren’t willing to give Cutler a new deal, then Cook and Cutler want to be traded.

Cook is a West Virginia native, so we’d ordinarily be inclined to give him the Pat White treatment. In this case, we can’t. Cook has been at the center of too many unnecessary controversies, and he has failed to use his tremendous influence over his clients to persuade them to find a way to make things work. Instead, Cook has thrived of late on destroying existing relationships, for no apparent strategic reason other than to get his name in the paper.

That said, it’s not too late for the Broncos to take control of the situation. As pointed out in our latest SportingNews.com item, the Bengals did it last year with Chad Johnson, and the Cardinals did it last year (and might do it again this year) with Anquan Boldin. When a player is under contract for three more seasons, the team (not the player) has the power to determine whether the player will be traded or released before those three years expire.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 16, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I see your point, but how many times that Campbell got sacked or screwed up did you look back at replay and see not 1, but possibly 2 open WR.[?]

- mhartz1

When have you seen this? Unless you're watching game film shot from the endzone, there's no way you're watching JC get sacked and watching WRs running open down field. I'm not saying it didn't happen. But I doubt you ever saw it. No offense, but you're packed absolutely full of crap.

Posted by: mack1 | March 16, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I had to turn off the RI Twitter because it was too much of personal convo I couldn't understand. None about the redskins.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

"zjfr2, two years ago, maybe teams blitzed the Skins. Last year it was unnecessary because the 4 man front was able to walk through the D line."

Exactly. I posted it a while ago, but the list of players that sacked Campbell in the 2nd half of the season were almost all defensive linemen or DE/OLB hybrids like DWare (I believe it was 13 of the 16 sacks). Teams hardly blitzed the Redskins in the 2nd half of the season. It was all about maintaining the gaps in the running game and doubling Moss and Cooley at nearly all times.

Posted by: psps23 | March 16, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

how many times did JC burn the blitz...

zjfr2

I re-watched the away games against the cowboys and eagles, and you'd be surprised how often JC beat the blitz in those games. Go back a look at it. That's why Moss had such a big game against the boys. The following week when the eagles doubled Moss ( I think he 0 catches that game), yet still blitzed, JC found Cooley.

Posted by: TWISI | March 16, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure it means nothing in particular for the Skins, other than Smith has two locals teams, one in each conference, he can drop in on easily. He's got a daunting task ahead of him.

On another matter, you're going to have to do more to convince me on Cutler....

Posted by: Cindy Boren | March 16, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

*Cue up U-2, "With or Without You"*

Cutler said: "You know, even after the meeting, I hung around town, kind of expecting him to call me and say, 'Hey, let's just me and you get away and have lunch or a cup of coffee' and mend things, but that didn't happen.

PUUHLEASE!! What does this kid want? A "let's-make-up" poem from McDaniels?

Cutler seems like a nice talent at QB, but I wouldn't want him based solely on the fragile-sissy-factor.

He reminds me a little bit of Chris Webber: talented, fills up the stat sheet, insecure, self-centered, expects the royal treatment despite having won nothing...

My advice to Culter: At least get a team to the postseason before demanding "Tom-Brady" treatment.

Posted by: p1funk | March 16, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

There isn't a lot going on at the moment concerning the Redskins, 4th.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | March 16, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

so let me get this straight, its everybody's contention on here that every snap was just a jailbreak for the QB and therefore JC can't be expected to throw more than 13 TDs in a 16 game season despite having a Pro Bowl TE, RB, and a top tier receiver? Strange that JC's 38 sacks ranks as 10th in the league with almost all teams in the high 20's and low 30's and a guy named Matt Cassell playing in his first games since high school was sacked 10 more times put up more yards and 8 more TDs. Yeah he had Welker and Moss but if you combine Cooley and Moss their stats are very close......except for TDs, but I'm sure its all on the oline, none of it is on JC.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 16, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

He seems to share some of the same characteristics of another Bus Cook client, Brett Favre....

Posted by: Cindy Boren | March 16, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

as in Welker + Moss stats less than 200 yds difference than Cooley + Moss.

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 16, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy Boren | March 16, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Minus the MVPs, Super Bowl, and QB records...

...but the self-centeredness is definitely there.

Posted by: p1funk | March 16, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey zjfr2, I understand your point and its definitely more sound and eloquent than the so called Guru's gibberish. However I will point out two things, first as a former quarterback myself, I will say weather you have good or bad receivers it doesn't make a difference if your line is bad. Cutler's O-line is sooooooooo much better than ours. He isn't mobile and I would be shocked if he could last the whole season behind ours.

Secondly his number are better than JC's, but remember he plays in arguably the worst or 2nd worst division in the NFL. He plays KC, the Chargers, and the Raiders twice a season.

Posted by: clark202 | March 16, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

My contention is that JC isn't as bad as some up here would think. Does he need to make improvements in his game, yes. Would I trade him plus a draft pick to get a thin skinned, self-centered QB whose statically similar, nope.

Posted by: TWISI | March 16, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it could/would happen cause the price tag will be to high, however, I am at least happy to know that with the Dockery signing and the RT pick (assuming that happens) the JC apologists might be out of excuses after this year....maybe?

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 16, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 16, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I think we are all "expecting" JC to throw more than 13TDs in a season.

If you ask me, the number 1 factor in JC's poor performances is not O-line play, but overall lack of continuity in the coaching staff/offensive schemes.

Cassel was a career back-up w/NE but he stayed with the same handful of coaches for years as Bill Belichik continued to promote offensive coordinators from within.

That is why I think the jury is still out on JC despite him being in the league for about 4 years now. Let him play in the same system for 2 consecutive years AT LEAST.

New coaches, new system, new scheme every year. Couple that with deteriorating line play and mediocre talent in the receiving corps, and you've got yourself a 13TD season...

Posted by: p1funk | March 16, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

russberlin: "Are you kidding me...if one of our scrub 2nd rounders did half of what Eddie Royal(2nd rounder picked after all 3 of ours) did...we would have won the Superbowl"

Royal was definitely a big surprise, but he was drafted to fill a particular need, one the Skins didn't have -- the quick WR/ kick returner. If Royal had been with Washington, he would have had to fight for touches. And Marshall's presence definitely draws defensive coverage away from the other receivers.

It's a good illustration of how the difference between success and failure is often just a matter of being in the right place at the right time, and taking advantage of it.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 16, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

zj, did you just compare Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and the previously highest scoring offense in the history of the NFL to Santana Moss, Chris Cooley, and the rest of the supporting cast here? Really? That's your argument?

Matt Cassel threw 29 Touchdowns less than his offense threw the year before. Just a little comparison to show the brilliant utilization of talent that Cassel had surrounding him.

But apparently to some people all QBs operate in a vacuum.

"Yeah he had Welker and Moss but if you combine Cooley and Moss their stats are very close......except for TDs, but I'm sure its all on the oline, none of it is on JC."

You're right. If only Campbell had either run the routes for Moss and Cooley, called the plays himself, or hit them with 150-160 receptions each, their TD totals would look more respectable. Clearly Campbell is at fault for not picking up the slack in any of those categories.

Posted by: psps23 | March 16, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Simms will be starter for Broncos, Cutler will be a Jet.

Book it.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 16, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

REPORT: CHARGES COMING AGAINST STALLWORTH
Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2009, 12:52 p.m. EDT
Apparently, it’s no longer a matter of “if” but “when” as to whether Browns receiver Donte’ Stallworth will be arrested in connection with the incident that claimed the life of a pedestrian in Miami on Saturday morning.

According to Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports, Stallworth is expected to face charges at some point.

Possible charges include driving under the influence, vehicular homicide, and reckless driving.

“The police seem pretty confident that they’re going to charge him,” a source with the NFL told Cole. “Even if he [is] clean, I think the police feel he’s going to be charged with something, regardless.”

We reported on Saturday that prosecutors are preparing to charge Stallworth with DUI manslaughter, if a blood sample shows an illegally high concentration of alcohol. Based, however, on our interpretation of Florida law, it might not matter whether Stallworth was drunk.

If he was driving in a reckless manner, the penalty will be the same.

Under Section 316.193(3)(c)(3)(b) of the Florida Statutes, DUI manslaughter is a second degree felony, which is punishable by up to 15 years in prison.

Under Section 782.071(1)(a) of the Florida Statutes, vehicular homicide also is a second degree felony, again punishable by up to 15 years in prison.

Florida law defines “vehicular homicide” as “the killing of a human being, or the killing of a viable fetus by any injury to the mother, caused by the operation of a motor vehicle by another in a reckless manner likely to cause the death of, or great bodily harm to, another.”

That said, the case against Stallworth becomes much easier if his blood-alcohol concentration exceeded the legal limit. Still, even without evidence of driving under the influence, Stallworth could be facing serious legal consequences even if he was completely sober; as the Miami Herald reported on Sunday night, a witness claims that Stallworth pulled around a stopped car in an effort to get through a red light when the incident occurred.

Bottom line? Stallworth was driving the car, and the car struck and killed a man. Absent persuasive evidence that Stallworth was doing nothing wrong — or that the pedestrian was blatantly jaywalking — Stallworth will soon be facing the fight of his life.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 16, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

There isn't a lot going on at the moment concerning the Redskins, 4th.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | March 16, 2009 12:53 PM |

The interesting activity is that they're bringing in potential draftees for workouts, interviews. So, how about our "insiders" telling us who they're bringing in. Any WRs? QBs?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 16, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Good points, clark202. And to zjfr2's comment about JC having only 13 TDs, I would point out that our pro-bowl RB only managed 9 TDs last year on 345 carries. Remember when he had seasons of 14 and 15 TDs on about 280 carries with the Broncos? The O-line makes a world of difference.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 16, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Mark Brunell said the same thing about the Redskins in 2006 before they "Crashed" to a 5-11 season! I remember they signed Archuleta, Brandon Lloyd and Randel-El and then declared themselves as Superbowl bound right after. Too bad memory is so fleeting when you are on steroids all the time.

Posted by: JohnWWW | March 16, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Let me just say this. Dockery really struggled last year. He gave up a lot of sacks and his run blocking wasn't as consistent as it was in the past. I hoping he plays up to his talent level, but I don't see it as a given that he'd be better than what they got from Kendall last year, except for maybe a full weekk of practice.

Posted by: TWISI | March 16, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

...but I don't see it as a given that he'd be better...
Mr. Bugel is excited to be able to work with Mr. Dockery. That is good enough for me.

Posted by: daggar | March 16, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

The media is now tucked away in a little trailer with no access to the building. Players have to poke their heads into the room, a la Rabach, or media members must request a player, who will be brought to us by a member of the pr staff.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | March 16, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

PORTIS DOESN’T SHOW FOR START OF REDSKINS’ OFFSEASON WORKOUTS
Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2009, 1:09 p.m.
Our friends at the Red Zone noticed at the bottom of an article about the Redskins’ offseason workout program a mention of the fact that star running back Clinton Portis is expected to be a no-show for Day One.

“I fully expect him to be here participating at some point,” coach Jim Zorn said, according to the Washington Post. “I talked to Clinton on the phone yesterday, and he knows what it means. He’s just trying to work out his schedule. He’s been working out his schedule.”

Yeah, it’s hard to “work out his schedule” with more than two months off since the last day of work.

That said, the workouts remains voluntary. So, technically, Zorn can’t say that he expects anything from Portis.

And it’ll be interesting to see if new NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith, an admitted Redskins fan, has anything to say about that.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Here is the 'exclusive' image of Haynesworth's car:

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I like how Florio has blown this into proportion:

[PORTIS DOESN’T SHOW FOR START OF REDSKINS’ OFFSEASON WORKOUTS
Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2009, 1:09 p.m.

Meanwhile — and, yeah, this is the only reason we posted the story – a reader sent in an exclusive image of the car that the Redskins have issued to Albert Haynesworth for driving to and from the team’s facility.]
-------------

Cindy,

Is there no word on P. Daniels or M. Washington? Or do you think the Skins will wait until after the draft?

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 16, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Ok I did the math for last years first round picks

Of the 31 first round rookie picks last season the average starts 8.71 games
8 started 16 games
4 started no games
7 started 10+
1 started 8+

In conclusion who knows for sure but there are some #s

Posted by: alex35332

Alex -- that's a good track you're on. Stewart may not have started, but he did have a significant impact. The guy he shared time with, DeAngelo Williams, was the most effective RB in the entire league!

Clady, the Denver OT taken at #12, was apparently one of the best in the league -- got Pro Bowl consideration.

I did a similar look at 11-15 picks over the past 4 years. Year 1 impact is interesting, but looking a little further back (4 years), I found picks 11-15 has yielded a lot of very good players, including several Pro Bowl players.

Immediate impact is nice -- and we probably will need that next season to compete -- but its not the best measure of the pick

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 16, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Dauphine, that is soooo negative! For rewrite:
"The media has been upgraded to a little trailer with no access to the building. The ladies room is undergoing renovation, so the stall could not be used. Players can now poke their heads into the room, instead of jiggling the handle in a specific way...
Food is still good."

Posted by: daggar | March 16, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

4th,

Florio is definatley not a Skins fan, no one would give a sh!t about Zorns comments not even Gene Upshaw.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 16, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BostonWarPath | March 16, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

DRAFT PERCY HARVIN! DRAFT PERCY HARVIN!

DRAFT PERCY HARVIN! DRAFT PERCY HARVIN!

DRAFT PERCY HARVIN! DRAFT PERCY HARVIN!

HOW ABOUT WE DRAFT PERCY HARVIN!

Posted by: docdwb | March 16, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy Boren | March 16, 2009 1:24 PM

Is this something new, or is this the way it been done in the past?

Posted by: TWISI | March 16, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

keywords "barring injury"

Posted by: TheTruth11 | March 16, 2009 10:28 AM

But that's every year with every team in any sports at any level......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 10:44 AM

Every sport except figure skating, where the keyword is "injuries barring" ... just ask Tanya Harding (and Jeff Gillooly (sp?)).

Posted by: dcsween | March 16, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

TWISI, no, in the past it was not a little trailer ... it was a tiny trailer.

Posted by: dcsween | March 16, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

DRAFT PERCY HARVIN! DRAFT PERCY HARVIN!

DRAFT PERCY HARVIN! DRAFT PERCY HARVIN!

DRAFT PERCY HARVIN! DRAFT PERCY HARVIN!

HOW ABOUT WE DRAFT PERCY HARVIN!

Posted by: docdwb | March 16, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse .

ummmm H E double hockey sticks NO!

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 16, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Is this something new, or is this the way it been done in the past?

Posted by: TWISI | March 16, 2009 1:30 PM

Dude, they're just working out. I wouldn't think there would be any reporters at all.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

While I would prefer portis work out with the team, much ado about nothing, I believe. Not so the stallworth issues however, Prayers for the deceased's family

I am so jonesing for nice weather, and softball season to start.....sigh....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 16, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Simms will be starter for Broncos, Cutler will be a Jet.

Book it.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 16, 2009 1:12 PM

I'll half book that. Jets will set the Broncos' new matching price to re-negotiate Cutler ... or get fleeced by the Broncos for their (Jets) first round pick.

On Simms, propioception is kind of important for a QB. My money says he's done. Maybe Denver ships their shiny extra first round picks to Arizona for Leinart, who's going to need to be re-gruntled himself after they re-signed Warner for 2 years of starter money.

Posted by: dcsween | March 16, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 1:37 PM

No reporters? The SnowCam gnome is being held in captivity in Ashburn (in the stall next to where they film JReid's Skinswater Unfiltered) and the powers that be in the Park know the media is onto it. Its lockdown mode.

Posted by: dcsween | March 16, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I am so jonesing for nice weather, and softball season to start.....sigh....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 16, 2009 1:37 PM |

Greg,

Softball season starts for me this weekend, unfortunatley it's as a coach not a player.

My Daughters travel team has there first games in Leesburg this weekend, have to get ready for the 9 tournaments we will play in this year.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 16, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Cutler played at Vanderbilt and was successful there, yet some of you think he's not a leader? That is insane. Do you know how strong a QB needs to be successful at Vandy? In Denver, Cutler did nothing wrong. He is a young kid with all the potential in the world and was drafted to be the future of the team. The Broncos and their new coach stupidly tried to trade him. Can't blame Cutler for being angry and feeling betrayed. The Broncos have had every opportunity since the story broke to make things right with Cutler, but instead they have lied about trying to trade him. They haven't admitted even making a mistake, much less try to make things right. They should be in Nashville right now courting Cutler all over again. Sure, it's a business, but there are 20 teams in the league that would give their current QB's right arm for Cutler. Even the veteran Broncos, who are more jaded, less idealistic, are in Cutler's corner. It could have been a storybook situation for both Cutler and the Broncos, but the team has ruined it. Cutler will be traded, so I say, "why not for Campbell?"

Posted by: TBDog | March 16, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

[The maturation of Jason Campbell is the singular most important issue facing the Washington Redskins this season: let him be.]

I'm not sure if singular was the word you were looking for there, but you added an extra syllable so you kind of sound smarter I guess.

Posted by: RickFelt | March 16, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Cindy,
That's hysterical, stuck in a trailer.

What happened to feasting on all that high cholesterol fare from the local eateries?

Does the trailer have a name: How about Gitmo2?

Are there kids selling Chicklets outside?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 16, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and how are the negotiations going?
Have they freed Jason Reid?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 16, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Sissy or not, Cutler is an accurate QB. Am I misremebering that he had a 100% completion rate for the preseason this past season?

[Or maybe its just that Eddie Royal is a such a "big target".]

Posted by: dcsween | March 16, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Here is the 'exclusive' image of Haynesworth's car:

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 1:26 PM ============================================
Unsafe at Any Speed!

/Nader
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 16, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

flound, nice, good luck with that. How old are we talking??

You're thankful that gas prices have come down if you're on the travel team.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 16, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Nothing yet, Matthew. As for Portis, that isn't a surprise. We wrote that here last Friday, I believe it was.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | March 16, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

[PORTIS SHOWS UP FOR START OF OFFSEASON WORKOUTS, AFTER ALL
Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2009, 1:49 p.m.

Contrary to the team’s expectations, Redskins running back Clinton Portis has shown up for the first day of the team’s offseason program.

We received word of Portis’ presence from Zack Bolno, the team’s Executive Director of Public Relations.

Apparently, Portis was able to work out his schedule.]
-------------------
ya think, Florio?

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 16, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"Ah" the new Redskins Fans at again.
Nuckle heads we need linemen not a QB.
Did you not notice the guy was running for his life last year.
Idiot owner and fans.
How did we get here?
SQUIRE!

Posted by: shamken | March 16, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

good to hear about portis.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 16, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 16, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

PORTIS SHOWS UP FOR START OF OFFSEASON WORKOUTS, AFTER ALL
Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2009, 1:49 p.m.

Apparently, Portis was able to work out his schedule.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 16, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy Boren | March 16, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | March 16, 2009 12:55 PM
=====================================
There was a first half of the season in which we successfully ran the ball, protected the ball 1st when it came to the passing game, and went 6-2.

And there was a second half of the season when our offensive line broke down. Among other lowlights, J. Campbell was sacked by a 2 man rush, and this was not a coverage sack.

We all saw the same season, zjfr2. The stats you quote are not making me doubt Campbell.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 16, 2009 11:35 AM

I agree with Moe's post at 11:35.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 16, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

RI bloggers get there wish redskins are lookin for new ownership and coaching staff after they all have heartattacks after PORTIS unexpectantly shows up to offseason workouts!

Posted by: all_this_bs | March 16, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Rabach: 'I Like the Position We're in'

-thats what she said.

Posted by: lacanforasuxd | March 16, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Forget about Cutler. We have far greater needs than bringing in another QB. While I agree JC still needs some polish, he is a solid QB and one I believe can take us to the SB. Keep in mind, nobody fears our passing game because aside from SM, Portis, and Cooley, we have nobody. Our OL has been terrible, Randel El blows, we wasted 3 second round picks on zero production, and Zorn limited the offense to short yardage plays last year. Plus, it's pretty tough throwing TD passes to guys who are under 5'10" in the red zone. So D's have loaded up the box and doubled Moss and Cooley and basically shut down our offense. It didn't help that JC was hurried or sacked because our OL can't pass block worth a squat.

Also, JC has had to learn a new offense and new approach to his mechanics every year. Give him time. He will impress you.

Having said this, the Skins will never amount to much so long as Cerrato and Big Boy Danny Snyder are running the team. Once again the team has overpaid for high profile players, despite the fact that there are still glaring holes at several key positions and a severe lack of depth at nearly every position.

Looks like we will be running left all year long! Let's hope Samuels and Dockery stay healthy.

Posted by: afiorillo | March 16, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

dcsween = thread killer

Posted by: dcsween | March 16, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

a sweeney haiku
most awesome tribute to you
but you are not last