Rain cancels full practice; walk-through session instead

Because of today's rain, the Redskins will shuffle their practice schedule and will not be able to have a full-blown practice just three days before playing host to the Indianapolis Colts.

Instead, the Redskins will bus to a nearby indoor facility and hold a walk-through practice session. The team does not have an indoor practice facility and on a similar rainy day last month, prior to the Philadelphia Eagles' game, had to stage a walk-through in a hangar at Dulles International Airport.

At the time, Coach Mike Shanahan said he felt the lighter practiced actually helped his team's preparations and didn't hinder them.

By Rick Maese  | October 14, 2010; 8:59 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Analysis: Is it time for a LaRon Landry contract extension?
Next: Redskins defense will be challenged by Peyton Manning's deceptions

Comments

Build a bubble!

Posted by: alex35332 | October 14, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Build a bubble!

Posted by: alex35332 | October 14, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Lou Farigno

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | October 14, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

It could be a new fun scavenger hunt. find the local indoor practice facility of the week. They could leave clues and such maybe get a radio station involved...

Posted by: Stu27 | October 14, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Don't mess with hess and his counting skills...he doesn't go anywhere without his trusty abacus.

I'm have a ti 84 play, but I don't know how to use it. oh, and monk,

8:24 - 8:21 = 3 min

go figure

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Build a bubble!

Posted by: alex35332 | October 14, 2010 9:08 AM

Build a bubble!

Posted by: alex35332 | October 14, 2010 9:08 AM

Build two bubbles!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 14, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I'll do betta, truss me.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 14, 2010 9:15 AM

Well you're a damn fine spellerer moe...now get back out there and make some more fun of people barely clinging to life haha

Posted by: PlayAction | October 14, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Use Dan Snyder's garage!

Posted by: getitritegov | October 14, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | October 14, 2010 12:21 AM

Not the same. DT not eligible for the PS and we needed his 53rd man spot.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 14, 2010 12:46 AM

Completely missed my point because you're so intent to gloat in DT's dismissal. By choosing to sign a player to the practice squad who has a similar history, at least from college, of poor work ethic/maturity issues is ironic. Small is the last man on the team...got that. Chances are Small is little to no impact on team..check. But signing a player who shows similar traits to a player just released is strange.

Posted by: TWISI | October 14, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Build a bubble!

Posted by: alex35332 | October 14, 2010 9:08 AM

Build a bubble!

Posted by: alex35332 | October 14, 2010 9:08 AM

9:08 - 9:08 = 0 min

it's the mouses falt

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Here is my wacky sports call in trade suggestion of the day:

Steve Slayton has fallen out of favor in Houston and is behind D. Ward. This cat has put up numbers in NFL, is young and fast as helll. I wonder if they'd take like an andre carter or d dockery or something. He could be a killer third down back...

Like I said file this one under wild speculation but I kinda like it.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 14, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

8. After the game, receiver Anthony Armstrong talked about being on Red Bull during the game. Naturally, when he showed up for work today, someone had dropped off a case of a different energy drink. Uh, don’t be surprised if Armstrong starts dropping other references. Just in case.

9. Armstrong said again that he will appeal his $5,000 fine for not showing enough white on his socks during the Green Bay game. “I still want my money back,” he said.
___________________

Seriously? That's pretty funny. BTW, I was sitting 2nd row in the end zone near our tunnel. We sat for 10-15 min after the game to let crowd clear out and soak in the W. AA came back out after his interview and signed autographs and talked to us for about 4-5 min before saying "I really gotta go, sorry" (probably to share the game ball w/LL). Seemed like a genuinely nice dude, clearly happy to be here. I'm guessing national recognition, a six figure salary and donning the Maroon and Black beats the crap outta $600/week and Motel 6's. Psyched to have this kid- had a feeling since training camp that he and BB would be diamonds in the rough. Now if T. Austin can get promoted and make an impact...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 14, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 14, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

moe, you're not the only one that f u c k s up spelling !

mouses = mouse's falt

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

continuing the DT11 debate any longer = power rankings

Posted by: chrislarry | October 14, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

and to answer the original questions, "Is it time for a LaRon Landry contract extension?" - is the Pope Catholic?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 14, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 14, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

it's the mouses falt

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I think its my crummy office networks. This happens a lot

Posted by: alex35332 | October 14, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Steve Slaton.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 14, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

continuing the DT11 debate any longer = power rankings

Posted by: chrislarry | October 14, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

It's better than the JC, Leigh Torrence, Ryan Clark, Antonio Pierce, etc. debates...

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 14, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I wonder how much Laron Landry can bench press. He's got some impressive guns, in a non-gay sort of way.

Posted by: bostskin | October 14, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 14, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

No its a push at best at least those players were contributors....even Torrence

Posted by: chrislarry | October 14, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I think its my crummy office networks. This happens a lot

alex,

I think it's just tough being human, especially on the RI board

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

yeah thanks a ton on the spelling correction Stu.......jeesh.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 14, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm a little confused. Where is the Devin Thomas reference in this post?

Posted by: themantoyou | October 14, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

re merriman:
i didn't realize he's only 25 or 26. that's young... i'm really not concerned about attitude and so forth as much as i am wondering "can the play w/o steroids?"

re landry's contract:
i would very much like to "lock down" landry for the long term - after he takes a few steroid tests. he has seriously bulked up quickly. (i'm ashamed of myself for even wondering about it...)

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | October 14, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

No its a push at best at least those players were contributors....even Torrence

Posted by: chrislarry | October 14, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Fine, then let's break out the great aid flotilla aircraft carrier debate again or megan Fox's thumb.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 14, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

8:24 - 8:21 = 3 min

go figure

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Seriously? Talk about beating a dead horse. Just admit you looked at the wrong post and let it go.

Any more 'Poopy kissing bearded lady' sightings?

Posted by: monk811 | October 14, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I'm a little confused. Where is the Devin Thomas reference in this post?

Posted by: themantoyou | October 14, 2010 9:48 AM |

where's beantowngreg ? he can get this DT11 forum going

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 14, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------------
I think AA has the right attitude to win in the NFL. Banks I worry about because he is so small, but there is no disputing that he is quick. Austin? I think the team needs to admit Roydell Williams was a mistake and promote Austin. They need to give him a chance and see if he can play at the NFL level.

On a side note, I was pondering the meaning of Small's signing yesterday and it dawned on me that the team must be less than enthralled by Chad Simpson's performance and they are queueing up guys who can return kicks to be eventual replacements. This explains both the Small signing and the Quinn Porter signing - both of these guys can play positions and return kicks...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 14, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Or PAskinsfan17 we could discuss relevant Skins topics like oline, trade deadline moves, dockery vs LickKRDTBEstyw, Merriman move, Armstrong as starting WR, Fred Davis, McNabb contract extension, landry the Troy P.....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 14, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Any more 'Poopy kissing bearded lady' sightings?

nay nay, from poopy stay away

smack, pull ear, kick the shin

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | October 14, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Ok, to bring you guys up to speed on my post. I just mentioned last night that Small the new practice guy had issues in college, game suspensions, starter demotions etc. I thought it ironic that MS would sign a guy like this since IMO he's a coach that expects commitment from his player. I stayed out the DT debate all this time, and my post last night was not intended to start it back up. I'm trying to figure out MS, his decisions are all over the place IMO.

Now you guys can stop all this DT = power ranking, query as to DT in the above post etc nonsense and discuss whatever else you want.

Posted by: TWISI | October 14, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

We're the 2nd richest NFL franchise... we can't build a $2M bubble?

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 14, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

People who bring spelling and grammar to a blog debate usually are the ones losing the arguemnt. Same with if you use a racial slur or call someone Hitler or a Nazi.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 14, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

K

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

"The signing of Small could mean nothing more than getting a WR on the practice squad to work with the scout team because DT11 is gone. It doesn't have to signify anything else with regards to other players' performances.

Posted by: psps23

COSIGN!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 14, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I'm a little confused. Where is the Devin Thomas reference in this post?

Posted by: themantoyou |

Isn't it obvious? The rain is from God crying because we cut his favorite receiver.

Posted by: Predator48 | October 14, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 14, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Agreed. If he or Austin pans out, we could have a nice stable of young WRs. Simpson is probably gone within 2 weeks.

As for Banks - I think he will be a Pro Bowl return man and a solid slot option within 2 years. That's my not-so-bold prediction of the day.

As for the rain- I think it's a good thing to give these guys an extra day off physically. We're nearly 6 weeks into the season, these guys need more mental than physical prep at this point IMO

HTTR

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 14, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I thought it ironic that MS would sign a guy like this since IMO he's a coach that expects commitment from his player. I stayed out the DT debate all this time, and my post last night was not intended to start it back up. I'm trying to figure out MS, his decisions are all over the place IMO...

Posted by: TWISI | October 14, 2010 9:56 AM

Maybe this Keim article will help:

Personnel moves not Shanahan's strength

Posted by: Alan4 | October 14, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

nay nay, from poopy stay away

smack, pull ear, kick the shin

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

why why, that sounds weird,
let's talk more about the dude with the beard

punch in stomach, indian rug burn, fish hook

Posted by: monk811 | October 14, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Here is my wacky sports call in trade suggestion of the day:

Like I said file this one under wild speculation but I kinda like it.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 14, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

So you want to trade either a starting OLB in a 3-4 scheme, or a starting OG and most tenured Redskin O-lineman (Lichensteiger may be atop the depth chart but DD is still the better player and will start again this yr for us) for a 3rd down back?

At least we agree on the "wacky" part...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 14, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Fred Davis, I strongly suspect this is one more week we keep him in to block. I wish we could find a way to throw him at least a few more. Dude's got skills. Don't get me wrong, though. With Bethea and co, blocking is key.

Posted by: bostskin | October 14, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

why why, that sounds weird,
let's talk more about the dude with the beard

punch in stomach, indian rug burn, fish hook

you mean barno the clown ? and that fish hook is the killer

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23

COSIGN!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 14, 2010 10:00 AM
------------------------------------------
Shanahan uses the practice squad for his pool of reserve players. Both Torain and Williams were pulled up from the practice squad. Unlike the previous regime, he doesn't just sign guys for the scout team. I think they signed Simpson thinking he could also contribute as a running back and that is not working out. He's the next guy to get cut. Wouldn't surprise me if they drop Roydell and Simpson on Saturday and promote Austin and Quinn Porter.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 14, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 14, 2010 9:59 AM

Alex don't forget about math skills, or lack thereof...

Posted by: PlayAction | October 14, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Steve Slayton
I vote no!
The guy dropped on the chart because he fumbling makes Tiki Barber look like he had hands of super glue.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 14, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Maybe this Keim article will help:

Personnel moves not Shanahan's strength

Posted by: Alan4 | October 14, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Call me crazy, but isn't this why we have Allen?

Posted by: bostskin | October 14, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Steve Slayton?

Steve Slayton
Foster Herbert Slayton
Position: Pitcher
Bats: Right, Throws: Right
Height: 6' 0", Weight: 163 lb.
Born: April 26, 1902 in Barre, VT
High School: Spaulding (Barre, VT)
School: University of New Hampshire (All Transactions)
Debut: July 21, 1928
Team: RedSox 1928

I was just making sure you didnt want this guy. dont think he will pan out.

But yes to Steve Slaton. he is not getting touches in HOU. He is still young has good vision, great speed and great hand cathing the ball. No reason Y we shouldnt go after him. They run a 4-3 so maybe they want AC. If he is on this team he is the second fastest player behind B Banks...

Posted by: Stu27 | October 14, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

re merriman:

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | October 14, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Merriman served his 4-game suspension and then came back that year and had 17 sacks in 12 games (and won Defensive MVP, I believe). The following season he had 12.5 sacks. His play tailed off after injury.

The question is not really - Can he play sans steroid?

The question is - Can he recover fully from the injury?

If we were talking about a guy knocking on the door of 30, I'd wonder how many useful years are left...but at 26? Methinks there's plenty of of time to heal/recover properly and play again "lights out"!

Posted by: p1funk | October 14, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Alex don't forget about math skills, or lack thereof...

... oh, and saying good nite at 4:30p

Posted by: hessone | October 14, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

"As for Banks - I think he will be a Pro Bowl return man and a solid slot option within 2 years."

I'll take your prediction and raise you 2 years; Banks will be a Pro Bowl returner this season. In 2 games played, he's 5th in the league in punt return yards overall. His yards per return is 2nd in the league to Dexter McCluster, who resides in the AFC. He has 6 returns vs. 1 fair catch. And he's due for a TD soon; he has 3 returns that were close to going the distance (one negated by a penalty that had no effect on his return). He's a stud already.

As for the slot receiver...that will take a bit longer. In fact, I'd be surprised if it ever happens. He may be able to run the routes, but I can't see him taking punishment consistently over the middle. As an occasional endaround/screen-man/deep threat, I can see him making an impact.

Posted by: psps23 | October 14, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

At least we agree on the "wacky" part...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 14, 2010 10:07 AM

If you look at it that way...the way I see it, you'd be trading a piece that doesn't fit what you wanna do here for a piece that does.

Which, by definition, is a mutually beneficial exchange.

I'd make that deal and be happy about it. My only concern with Slaton is that he's struggled with fumbles. But that's something that's correctable, IMO...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 14, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Beepzillas

Posted by: Predator48 | October 14, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

DUH! Where else would DM5 start an aerial assault than a hanger @ Dullas?

Posted by: fat_back | October 14, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

We can pay players out the a$$ but can't spring for a hangar with astroturf?

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | October 14, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Again I'll ask why they don't practice in the rain? We're not always going to have good weather on Sundays around here.

Posted by: Thundershock | October 14, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse