Rams QB Sam Bradford is learning as he goes

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan recently raved about St. Louis Rams rookie Sam Bradford, saying he's the type of quarterback who comes around once every 10 or 15 years. Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett has been similarly effusive in his praise for the 2008 Heisman Trophy winner from Oklahoma.

Through two games, however, Bradford is struggling for the winless Rams (0-2), which isn't surprising. Rookie quarterbacks have a lot to learn, and Bradford is experiencing the process.

"I will say it [the speed of the game] moves faster in the regular season than it does in the preseason, but I think there were things that did slow down for me," Bradford said the other day in a conference call with reporters who cover the Redskins. "There were some small details that I was able to pick up last week.

"Week 1, things were happening so fast there was no way I would have been able to see them, or I did see them in Week 1. I will say it slowed down a little bit. It did slow down. Not to the point of what it felt like in college. But I don't think I can expect that to happen after two games."

Bradford, however, clearly has the talent and makeup to succeed in the NFL. "He's a good, young quarterback," inside linebacker London Fletcher said. "He can do a lot of things, and he makes all the throws. You definitely want to face him early in his career."

By Jason Reid  | September 24, 2010; 6:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hard Hits Live: LaVar Arrington takes questions Friday morning
Next: Donovan McNabb stresses importance of Redskins' running game

Comments

A lot up here wanted to pass on Atogwe, but I thought we should have made a run at him if the price was right.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2010 5:23 AM

Didn't he play for Haslett in St. Louis? Don't you think that the 'Skins would have gotten him if Haslett thought he was worth the money?

Posted by: beep-beep | September 24, 2010 6:42 AM | Report abuse

At least for this year, I'll be the FIRST to say that Im glad we have McNabb and not a rookie QB on the field

Posted by: SkinsSinceDayOne | September 24, 2010 6:44 AM | Report abuse

The LAST thing I want is for LaVar answering any Redskins questions I have! I'll never understand how anyone could possibly WANT to listen to what this guy says or read what he writes...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2010 5:42 AM

Agreed. Why not Art Monk or Darrell Green? Only the WaPo would pull a stunt like this. "If you can't say something bad, don't say anything at all."

Posted by: beep-beep | September 24, 2010 6:50 AM | Report abuse

beep, that's why I didn't flip out about it...if Haslett decided to pass, I'm sure it's for a good reason. Even though it's hindsight at this point, you've gotta think that he'd be better than Reed Doughty has been these first two games...

I'm curious to see how Moore plays...a lot of hype about him from the team this year...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2010 6:51 AM | Report abuse

RIP Eddie Fisher. Dude was married to Elizabeth Taylor, Debbie Reynolds, and Connie Stevens. What a hat trick!

Quick: What is your favorite Eddie Fisher song? I can't even think of a song he made famous. But, he made the famous.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 24, 2010 6:58 AM | Report abuse

Happy Friday to all RI peeps ! You too scamp !

Posted by: Flip_Flop | September 24, 2010 7:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | September 24,

I just looked at a list of his songs on wiki and didn't notice one I knew of. Maybe if I heard a song I'd recognize it.

Posted by: Flip_Flop | September 24, 2010 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Since all we get here is LaVar plugs and Sam Bradford fellatio, here's some actual INFORMATION on the Skins from our friend John Keim at the Examiner:

1. Left tackle Trent Williams (knee/toe) jogged and ran on the treadmill Thursday. Now there’s some hope that he might be able to practice Friday. He didn’t seem to be limping as bad as he was on Wednesday. Still, that would be quite an improvement.

2. The good news for Williams is that it’s his toe that’s bothering him more than his knee, according to coach Mike Shanahan.

3. Jammal Brown practiced at left tackle Thursday, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said. But is that a ploy to keep St. Louis guessing who would replace Williams? Don’t know. If the Redskins want the least disruption along the line, they’d start Stephon Heyer. If they want a two-time Pro Bowler, they’ll start Brown.

4. Keep in mind that St. Louis’ best defensive lineman is Chris Long, who plays left end. Yes, he’ll move to the right side on occasion. The Redskins are fortunate because St. Louis lacks an elite pass rusher. Instead, the Rams are a blitz-happy team.

5. Jim Haslett is catching some heat for blitzing so much (unofficially 34 times), but here are Houston QB Matt Schaub’s numbers vs. the blitz Sunday: 20 of 34 for 235 yards and a touchdown, with four sacks and an interception. When the Redskins didn’t blitz? He was 19 of 24 for 262 yards and two touchdowns. So the real problem lies in coverage, whether by the players or the schemes. And it’s not just the secondary. That could be a function of playing a new scheme (in which some players are miscast).

6. Also, it means the Redskins don’t pressure well enough with four guys. Paging Albert Haynesworth. If he could get started, then it would improve the pass rush dramatically. If not, watch for an air show against certain quarterbacks. Some of whom are on the schedule real soon.

7. By the way, Haynesworth did practice in full Thursday. Have to believe he’ll play Sunday.

8. Running back Clinton Portis is really on a “I’m always disrespected” kick this year. More so than other years. Sometimes he has a point; in this case I think it’s overstated. However, when asked today if he admires Steven Jackson for putting up big numbers with bad teams, Portis laughed and said, “I’m familiar with that.” No, he’s not. Jackson’s Rams won six games combined the past three years; Portis’ Redskins won 21.

9. Inside linebacker London Fletcher is on pace to record around 145 tackles this season, which would make that a typical year. However, he’s making tackles now in part because the Redskins are allowing more plays by the opposition. Anyway, he doesn’t have as many tackles as you would think because he’s being asked more to take on lead blockers and allow others to make tackles. “That’s the case,” Fletcher said.

more...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2010 7:20 AM | Report abuse

continued...

10. Safety Kareem Moore is well-versed in Shannyspeak. When Moore was asked if he’d feel a sense of accomplishment running out with the starters Sunday, he said, “It’s a good accomplishment, but if I am starting or not, I just want to help the team.” In other words, we don’t know if he’s starting. I will say, I’d be stunned if he does not. And so would you.

11. Kyle Shanahan’s honest assessment of Larry Johnson: “It was tough for Larry. I really like Larry. I just think it’s a bad situation for him. Larry is a guy who needed more carries to get it going. In his role with our team, that was tough for him to get.”

12. Adam Carriker on if he has something to prove to the Rams: “A little bit. They traded me for a donut and a cup of coffee.” Awesome quote.

13. Receiver Anthony Armstrong (groin), safety Chris Horton (ankle/groin) and nose guard Anthony Bryant (head) did not practice Thursday.

14. For St. Louis, tight end Mike Hoomanawanui (ankle), linebacker Chris Chamberlain (toe) and defensive tackle Darrell Scott (ankle) are out. Defensive tackle Clifton Ryan (migraines), tight end Bill Bajema (knee), safety Chris Dahl (head) and receiver Laurent Robinson (foot) did not practice. Safety Oshiomogho Atogwe (thight), running back Steven Jackson (knee), corner Kevin Dockery (hamstring) and tight end Daniel Fells (knee) were limited.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/redskins-confidential/Redskins-notes-and-analysis-92310-103670094.html#ixzz10ReB4CTT

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

HAYNESWORTH OUT AGAIN SUNDAY

ASHBURN, VA -- The agent for disgruntled Washington Redskins defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth says his client will again be declared inactive for this weekend's game against the St. Louis Rams.

At issue is a clause in the player's contract that limits Haynesworth to no more than two days of work in any given week during the regular season.

"Since my client practiced on Wednesday and Thursday, he has already met his commitment for this week," said the agent, Chad Speck.

He added, "It's unfortunate that the Redskins coaching staff felt they needed to work Mr. Haynesworth for two days during the week, when my client was so looking forward to getting it on against the Rams. But as you know, a deal's a deal -- and we really can't exceed the two-day limit."

To recap Haynesworth's season thus far:

- Following limited action in the regular season opener against Dallas on Sept. 12, Haynesworth was declared inactive for last weekend's game against Houston.

- While Hayenesworth only practiced for one day during in the week leading up to the Houston game, he allegedly tweaked an ankle during the Wednesday sesson, while working his renowned “Tinkerbell spin” move against Redskins offensive lineman Trent Williams.

- Williams also bruised a knee in the same play, but was still able to dress out and play three quarters against Houston.

- Meanwhile, Haynesworth was a no show for last Sunday afternoon’s game at FEDEX Field, because he decided to visit the nearby Six Flags amusement park instead.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 24, 2010 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood,

If it weren't for the Keim stuff you paste up here we would know less about the Redskins than we do about how to knit mittens for three little kittens.

It's not like the Post can't get it right. The Wiz blog and the Caps blog have a lot of useful insight. Only Reid and company have brain locks. "This week we're playing Dallas. Here's some interesting statistics from a Navy pilot about using your timeouts in the first quarter...."

Posted by: beep-beep | September 24, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2010 7:21 AM
-----------------------------------------
Thanks for the link Brown. Having Kareem Moore back will make them so much better in the secondary. Maybe giving Haynesworth a few reps with the starters will give us a little more beastliness on those passing downs. I'm thinking the Redskins' defense is going into this game with something to prove.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 24, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

BTW, congrats to Russ Grimm's son, Cody, for getting to start in the Bucs game this week. I hope he does a good job.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 24, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 24, 2010 7:45 AM

I sure hope so...not that beating the Rams proves much, but if they can blow out the Rams and make a statement against the Eagles next week, I'll feel REALLY good about our chances this year...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Here is all you need to know about the defense:

"The Redskins rank last in the league, giving up an average of 453 yards per game"

Want to know why they lost to Houston? See above....I hope shanny deposits one of his feet up Haz's backside...don't keep sending the house, if you're getting burned...hopefully moore makes a huge difference...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 24, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 24, 2010 8:06 AM

Bean -- They should send the house more, not less. They got burned worse when they didn't. Read the Keim stuff (#5) that Brownwood posted above.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 24, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Greg, to be fair, when you have as many issues in the secondary as we've had thus far, you DO keep sending the blitz in the hopes that you can hurry the QB into making mistakes. Just so happens, we played a QB that doesn't flinch in the face of an aggressive rush.

Hopefully, Moore helps correct some of those issues...but if we can't stop a rookie QB from lighting us up, this squad just isn't what we think it is...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 24, 2010 8:06 AM

Explain this then Bean:

Schaub’s numbers with no blitz: 19 of 24 for 262 yards and two touchdowns

Posted by: mack1 | September 24, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

beep, yup, you're right...what we need it AH to show up, play hard, and take up some space, so that guys like AC/Rak/Carriker don't have to beat doubles...

moe, normally, sox/yanks late september is can't miss...just not this year...to many injuries for sox to overcome.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 24, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Sunday is football day, but there are some nice games on Saturday, too:

Arkansas v. Alabama

WVU v. LSU

Oregon v. Arizona State

Kentucky v. UF

CAL v. Arizona

Must see?: Ryan Mallet v. Nasty Nick Saban, of course.

('Bama will roll as it will blitz Mallett NFL-style.)

Auburn v. USC Gamecocks will be painful to watch as there is nothing more annoying than college football games where the offense spends .40 seconds looking at the sidelines to get the right play call.

And as juicy as this weekend seems, next weekend will be full and complete college football joy:

Bama v. UF, Texas v. Oklahoma, Stanford v. Oregon, Mich. St v. Wisc.....

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 24, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Schaub’s numbers with no blitz: 19 of 24 for 262 yards and two touchdowns

Posted by: mack1 | September 24, 2010 8:13 AM |

I hope that Keim will do a similar breakdown next week for Bradford vs. the blitz. Welcome to the NFL, blah, blah....

Posted by: beep-beep | September 24, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

I'm actually thinking this is a pretty important game. And if we loose it on bad play calls, like last week, it will be a very bad bell-weather for the season.

I'll stop short of calling it a must-win, but it is definintely a 'gut-check' game. Just like last time. When we failed.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 24, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

AH needs a big game. If he wants a ticket out, then he has to increase his trade value with his play on the field. Either that or injuries to three DT's for teams with Super Bowl aspirations and GM's with Vinny Cerrato's all-or-nothing instincts.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 24, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 24, 2010 7:45 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2010 7:56 AM
------------------------------------------
Think about this one as a confidence builder or destroyer. If they lose, they are really in the fire and out will roll the Jim Haslett haters in abundance. If they win, then things should quiet down. I don't for a minute believe this defense is going to gel within one week just because they get their free safety back, but the Redskins defense is playing againts a rookie QB with a weak receiving corps. They can try a little risky stuff - maybe kick up the aggressive pass defense a few notches - and see where that gets them. One last thing, even though I don't think Moore is the glue that this defense was missing, I want to mention one more time how bad of an idea it is to play Doughty at free safety when Moore is injured. I think the team has avoided this issue like a smelly fish, but the bottom line is they need a coverage safety to backup Moore and Doughty isn't it. Bruce Allen should get busy kicking the tires of a few safeties sitting on other teams practice squads and Maslett needs to consider moving Barnes to free safety. When I found the guy I would trade/cut Horton in a second and move Doughty back to strong as a backup where he is much more suited to be.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 24, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2010 7:56 AM
------------------------------------------
Beat them and it doesn't prove much, but don't beat them and watch the name calling and finger pointing begin (except for D. Hall - he kind of got that whole thing started early).

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 24, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I thought we only delt for ham sandwiches? Maybe the donut was filled with ham?!

Posted by: monk811 | September 24, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | September 24, 2010 8:20 AM

With "The Williams Wall" looking more like "The Williams Fall", maybe the Vikes are desperate enough to make a move for AH. God knows they didn't need VJ, so maybe they give us that 2nd rounder they obviously don't want...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 24, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | September 24, 2010 8:13 AM

This stat line looks very familiar...hmmmmm...I just can't put my finger on it...oh yeah...I got it...it's JC's usual day.

Redskins 24, Rams 20

Posted by: PlayAction | September 24, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 24, 2010 8:19 AM
----------------

i think it's "must win" because it's one of the very few "easy" games this year.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | September 24, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Wow, you see us only beating the Lams by 4 Play? I don't want to overlook ANY weak team, especially after last year, but they are just horrible in multiple areas.

Posted by: monk811 | September 24, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

"I'm thinking the Redskins' defense is going into this game with something to prove."

Until AH gets it in his mind to play hard, the entire defensive unit will struggle as it already has.

Much of the scheme change was predicated on AH being a monster in the middle.

But so far and unfortunately, all he's been is a sissy on the sidelines.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 24, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Much of the scheme change was predicated on AH being a monster in the middle.

But so far and unfortunately, all he's been is a sissy on the sidelines.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 24, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Maybe the donut was filled with ham?!

Posted by: monk811 | September 24, 2010 8:32 AM

That sounds good monk! Reminds me of the Monte Christo at Bennigans...poopy would love that!

Posted by: PlayAction | September 24, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

pa, if the rams put up 20 points, and we only win by 4, then I'm not sure how much of a good day that is....the Redskins need to be seperating themselves from teams like this...they need to get up big early, take SJackson out of the game plan, and then just confuse/batter/intercept bradford

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 24, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 24, 2010 8:39 AM

I don't think the game will be that close monk...but the score may be...ya know what I mean...vegas has us giving 3.5...maybe 10 or so garbage time points for the Ramses.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 24, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

"Hoping we show Bradford a few looks that he hasn't seen yet in his extensive career."

Bradford is one of those 'spread' quarterbacks that folks in these parts said wouldn't succeed in the NFL.

Thing is, the kid has been so good for so long, that all he's seen is NFL style coverages, and so, his learning curve is not as steep as you'd think it might be.

The Rams have a solid player in this kid, Bradford, and we should win as the team doesn't have any real weapons surrounding him.

But when they do.....

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 24, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 24, 2010 8:41 AM

Still might play out that way...Skins get up 24-3 and the Rams put up 17 points in garbage time. Not like we haven't seen that already...

I just want the win. Style points only matter to elite teams. We're still a work in progress, so it's really not time to look at HOW we're winning games until after the bye week, IMO...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | September 24, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

That's gross, you talked about food by saying "sounds good" and "poopy" in the same thought. Sure did ruin my breakfast!

Posted by: monk811 | September 24, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

brown, if they get up big, then they need to close it out...no such thing as garbage time...this needs to be a redemption game for the defense...bunch of sacks, bunch of picks...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 24, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Nothing I would love more than a nice relaxing BLOWOUT for once greg.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 24, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

We need to win and win big run the ball a bunch, Clinton at least 25 carries. And hurt bradford all day, put his arm back in that sling.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 24, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 24, 2010 9:00 AM

Yeah sorry about that monk...but I think the only thing that could take poopy out would be that monte christo...it almost put me in a coma.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 24, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | September 24, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

DOES YOUR CAT MAKE TOO MUCH NOISE? TRY KITTEN MITTENS!

Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Greg, the two aren't mutually exclusive...last week had a takeaway and 5 sacks, yet gave up a ton of yards/points. This defense is what I thought it was...a team improved in making impact plays, but gives up more yards/points than we're used to. I didn't think they'd have a massive letdown like they did against Houston, but it shouldn't be a shock that they'd struggle a little in the first two weeks...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

bunch of picks...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 24, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I bet Haynesworth will be picking his azz and nose, with everything hanging out at home on his couch!
Lazy tub of lard, he can't even come to the game and support his team??? I don't know if I've ever heard of that before, usually when a player can't play he is still on the sidelines supporting the team, unless it's a road trip and a guy doesn't make the trip because he is injured. IT WAS A HOME GAME, and he still couldn't show up! I don't expect him in St. Louis this week. The only arch he'll be around is McDonald's.

Posted by: monk811 | September 24, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 24, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | September 24, 2010 9:04 AM

At the rate he's going, if CP runs 25 times he'll only get 30 yards. This line needs to get it together against the Rams...this isn't exactly a daunting front 7...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

DOES YOUR CAT MAKE TOO MUCH NOISE?

I'm lucky.

My cat only makes noise after I hit it with a brick.

And then, I have to put up with a sore pussy.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 24, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27

25 carries for Portis is exactly why he looks like he appears to be finished. I'm all for running the ball, but carries need to be split between Portis and Williams.

If they get a sizable lead on the Rams, I'd like to see Williams finish the game with more carries than Portis. Time to see what they really have with Williams.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 24, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 24, 2010 9:10 AM

Because it's only week 2, it's possible we don't have the proper perspective on the Texans. In a few weeks, the story of the NFL might be that the Texans offense is special...like "the greatest show on turf" revisited or something. The defense might be good, even better than the good defenses we've seen them field the last several years...they just ran into a juggernaut before we all saw them that way. It's possible anyway.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 24, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Great QB pick up with McNabb

The defensive line gives the opposing qb too much time to find open receivers. No D-backs can cover professional receivers for 5-8 seconds all the time. And they aren't really lock down corners anyway. Dhall is a play maker but not a lock down corner. He's asked for all #1 receivers moving forward. Make me a believer DHAll. I don't see it.

The offensive line is still getting pushed around when running the ball. I mean Larry Joshnson didn't do anything in preseason either but when he got the ball and ran back for 10 yards, the defense was already in the backfield. In the backfield for CP too, and he falls down on every play too. We need better linemen still and or a running back that can hit the holes faster and at least make the first man miss. I've been saying it in all along. We're not the much better but we will be much more exciting to watch.

Patience is the key but I've been trying to dump this team for 10 years now. Don't know how much more I can take. We are still a year or two away. Now, McNabb signing here next year, completely different story. And, we will Stay tuned Redskins nation.

Posted by: JWADE4 | September 24, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse