Rams rookie Sam Bradford leaves Redskins impressed

Rookie quarterback Sam Bradford played a key role in the St. Louis Rams' 30-16 victory over the Redskins, who were very impressed with the No. 1 overall pick.

"He made a lot of plays to help them," cornerback DeAngelo Hall said. "He came up with some plays to keep some drives going for them, did some stuff to keep us on the field and keep us working. So, yeah, if you can get that from your rookie quarterback ... the Rams probably pretty happy about that."

In his best outing so far, Bradford completed 62.2 percent of his passes for 235 yards with one touchdown and one interception. He made many timely throws on third downs, helping the Rams convert seven-of-16 third-down attempts.

"He definitely made some plays, definitely did some good things, but a lot of it was what we didn't do," cornerback Carlos Rogers said. "We just have games like that sometimes. It's just hard to figure out why we do that. ... But he helped them."

By Jason Reid  | September 28, 2010; 9:13 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cooley plays down lack of involvement in the offense
Next: Clinton Portis says he fell "on purpose" to protect the ball

Comments

More groundbreaking news...I was impressed too.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

"Bottomline is the Rams whupped us, and have now beaten us 2 out of 3 times over the last 3 seasons."

Posted by: divi3

2 points to be made here.

(1) This is not the same team the Rams played last season, let alone 3 seasons ago. Different head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, QB, 80% of the offensive line, 60% of the WRs, the entire defensive line, and a shuffled secondary (among other changes).

I know you're a Wizard's fan, so I'll put it this way: trying to compare this Redskins team with any Redskins team of recent years is like trying to compare the upcoming John Wall-led Wizards with the Tapscott/Jamison/Butler Wizards. They're not even close to the same teams.

(2) Yes, the Rams whupped the Redskins. But I refuse to believe DHall can't cover Mark Clayton, Donovan McNabb can't convert a 3rd down, Kareem Moore can't tackle a running back, and Santana Moss can't hold onto the football. They didn't on Sunday, but that doesn't mean they can't or won't in the future.

Posted by: psps23 | September 28, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 28, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Um...yeah...who cares? I'm more curious as to what we will be doing to better ourselves for the Iggles.... so much to choose from...

Posted by: sweetsweetlou | September 28, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

how is Galloway working out? I'm trying to be objective, but so far the offense in 3 games has scored 4 touchdowns, and the #2 wideout has been invisible...if something isn't working, and by all accounts its not, all I'm asking for is adaptability, trying something different...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 28, 2010 9:21 AM

Greg, nobody wants Galloway outta the lineup more than I do. But he's not playing because Shanny has a boner for him, he's playing because by all accounts, he doesn't have a better option. God knows I wanna see DT do well and he looks every bit the stud we want him to be. But until he shows it on the field instead of in Fantasia videos, he's gonna be one helluva expensive KR.

He's a smaller scale version of AH in the respect that he's an uber-talent specimen who looks like a no-brainer solution. It looks like that on paper and on Madden, but in real life neither guy has shown it. Shanahan would have to be a complete idiot to bench guys for reasons other than them not earning their keep, and he hasn't demonstrated that to me. Yet...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 28, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 28, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abus

It was a bad game, but who didn't expect the Skins to have clunker game or two this year, particularly early? Let's see how the team responds over the next month. Things change quickly as we know in the NFL.

Posted by: TWISI | September 28, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

You know, Carlos Rogers really is a pretty bright guy, but some of the things he says in the media are just plan stupid. He needs a media coach (and a sticky hands coach).

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 28, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Can we stop giving HJ's to the rookie QB?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 28, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

2 points to be made here.

Posted by: psps23 | September 28, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

WELL SAID. I couldn't agree more. Thanks for this voice of reason!

Posted by: watchingfromasia | September 28, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | September 28, 2010 9:31 AM

A-friggin'-men.

This is what I've been sayin'...this team is a work in progress. It's gonna be ugly early, but hopefully they turn a corner after the bye week and get on a roll in December. Declaring everyone bust and Shanahan a hack after 3 weeks is crazy.

Shanahan has a great December record, as does McNabb. The schedule is somewhat forgiving and I'd be surprised if we're not singing a different tune going into January.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

brown, agree/disagree....JGalloway is playing because he practices great, but gives the team nothing during games....that makes zero sense to me...and if that doesn't SCREAM of MS having too much pride, I don't know what does...teams know they can shut us down with JGallo on the field, he's a NON-FACTOR, but MS will keep running him out there....I don't get it...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 28, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

This makes me sick to my stomach...worse than losing to the lions, the rams, etc. And to think we were all on here last week licking our chops.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

What's funny (really sad) is the next 4 weeks are brutal: @ Philly, GB, Indy, @ Chicago. But then we go to the Lions. Do we REALLY look forward to that game? To me that's another let down game. I'd rather lose to the next 4 than the Lions, but we do play to the level of our competition, which can be good or bad! I'm so confused.......

Posted by: monk811 | September 28, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 28, 2010 9:32 AM

He needs a new team. He's just the type of self-deluded underachiever that we have too many of.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 28, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

We lost to the Rams.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 28, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

There's an interesting breakdown (play by play) of Mike Vick's stellar game against Jacksonville.

Here's the summary:
"Any game in which a quarterback throws 3 TD passes and runs for another is a very good game. Vick obviously did a lot of things right, and there were several plays where his experience was as important as his athleticism. It's true that he waited for several plays to develop, including two of his touchdown passes. Listening to the commentary, there was a lot of talk about a new Vick, one who doesn't make bad decisions or throw off-target passes. I didn't see that Vick, and you won't find that Vick in the summary I just provided. This was a strong game overall, but there were a lot of danger signs -- sacks, bad throws, bad plays by the defense that the Eagles got away with -- that tell me that the old Vick is still hanging around, waiting to show himself against a good NFL defense."

Posted by: Samson151 | September 28, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 28, 2010 9:40 AM

My impression is that he gets open behind defenders for long passes pretty regularly. What is he being asked to do that he hasn't done?

Posted by: beep-beep | September 28, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

"The sky is not falling. It was a bad game. Jeez, I'm surprised half this fanbase isn't suicidal given the nature of some of the comments up here recently.Posted by: psps23"

Don't you know the RI motto?
"When in danger, when in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout."

Posted by: Samson151 | September 28, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

become a viable #2 receiver...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 28, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

playaction

Wow, it can get confusing these trades, but here we go:

The Saints' compensation in the deal is tied to the Redskins' trade with the Eagles for quarterback Donovan McNabb in April.

Washington will now be without its third- and fourth-round draft picks in 2011, but it will also get back a later pick from New Orleans.

Washington owes the Eagles a third- or fourth-round pick in 2011 for McNabb, based on how the quarterback plays or the team performs. If the Redskins win nine games, go to the playoffs or McNabb gets selected to the Pro Bowl, Philadelphia will receive Washington's third-round pick and New Orleans will get Washington's fourth. If none of those happen, the Eagles will get the Redskins' fourth-round pick and the Saints will get the Redskins' third-round pick.

If New Orleans receives Washington's third-round pick, then the Redskins will get a 2011 fifth-round pick back from the Saints. However, if Washington's third-round pick goes to Philadelphia, then the Saints will send a 2011 sixth- or seventh-round pick back to the Redskins.

There is also a conditional 2012 sixth-round pick involved. Should Brown play 90 percent of the plays next season or get voted to the Pro Bowl, Washington will send its 2012 sixth-round pick to New Orleans. After Saturday's trade, Washington has six picks left in the 2011 draft.

Posted by: hessone | September 28, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Well...Cooley basically let the cat out of the bag...The coaches like the heavy/jumbo package that includes only one receiver for most of the game because all others suck and DT11 hasn't earned a chance in the coaches eyes.....So Sleepy has become the defacto #2..........

Devin hopefully makes his way on to the field on Sunday.....This has to be an imprtant game to Shanny and McNabb....They got pride....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 28, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Galloway: gives you good effort in practice, gives you nothing on gameday (except, of course, a 62-yarder that set up a score)

DT: gives you nothing in practice AND nothing on offense.

Not sure what you don't get about that...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 9:40 AM |
-----------------------------------
A-friggin'-men.

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 28, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

become a viable #2 receiver...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 28, 2010 9:47 AM

And you don't think he is because...? DT was a number 2 receiver last year and he proved not to be viable.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 28, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 28, 2010 9:32 AM

Posted by: beep-beep | September 28, 2010 9:42 AM
------------------------------------------
I disagree. I think the guy has his shortcomings, but there are a lot of worse corners in the league. Frankly, I would like to see D. Hall replaced before Carlos Rogers. CR is the type of physical corner we need for this defense. There are some problems with this secondary, though, and I think most of them stem from a lack of knowledge of the defense.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 28, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

hess that gave me a headache...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 28, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | September 28, 2010 9:45 A
----------------------------------
A-friggin'-men.

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 28, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

"What's funny (really sad) is the next 4 weeks are brutal: @ Philly, GB, Indy, @ Chicago. But then we go to the Lions. Do we REALLY look forward to that game? To me that's another let down game. "

1-6 teams don't have letdown games. I doubt even this group could pull that off.

Posted by: zimbar | September 28, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 28, 2010 9:42 AM

I'll be sure to make plans far away from the television set that day haha...

Oh...and thanks hess...just gave me a piercing headache reading that...could you repost it around 2pm...way to early in the morning for that!

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Don't you know the RI motto?
"When in danger, when in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout."

Posted by: Samson151 | September 28, 2010 9:46 AM
------------------------------
i couldn't resist....

A-friggin'-men.

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 28, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 28, 2010 9:42 AM |

there is no such thing. we got beat by the rams 2 years straight and we lost to the lions last year, who haven't won a game since. so why do you think we play down to another teams level ?

HOG WASH !

Posted by: hessone | September 28, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

beep, you're happy with Galloway's production up to this point...you're happy with his invisibility in the last game....ok...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 28, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

hess that gave me a headache...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 28, 2010 9:51 AM |

the sad part bean is I've read the deal several times and still can't make heads or tails of it.

Posted by: hessone | September 28, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | September 28, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Sadly that ain't the Skins...yet.

Posted by: TWISI | September 28, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

we got beat by the rams 2 years straight

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 9:54 AM

People keep saying this. We did beat the Rams last year. It was close, and ugly, but the Skins did win.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 28, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

To be fair to Galloway, he was targeted at least twice last game. Both times he got behind the defense. Once it looked like he may have been interfered with as the defender grabbed his arm while he was attempting to extend to make the catch in the endzone, the other time McNabb overthrew him down the sideline.

I'm less annoyed with Galloway than I am with Roydell Williams. Galloway serves a purpose within the gameplan, which is to stretch the defense. Williams just seems out of place on the field acting as a "possession" receiver who can't really get open and isn't make catches in traffic.

Posted by: psps23 | September 28, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

**Madden Post**

Damn right Devin Thomas looks good on Madden. Him, Moss, and wait for it... JOEY GALLOWAY are my three top receivers.

Surprise, surprise -- Malcolm Kelly is recovering from a broken collar bone.

If you were able to draw any real parallels to Madden and real life football, you'd see why they're keeping Galloway around. Galloway is my go to guy on third down. Dude is CLUTCH on third down.

**End Madden Post**

Watching the game last night and looking at the comments on the previous thread got me thinking about some receivers that were taken in that '08 draft.

In order (Notables):

WRs
Donnie Avery - 2nd
Devin Thomas - 2nd
Jordy Nelson - 2nd
Eddie Royal - 2nd
DeSean Jackson - 2nd
Malcolm Kelly - 2nd
Earl Bennett - 3rd
Early Doucet - 3rd
Harry Douglas - 3rd
Mario Manningham - 3rd
Pierre Garçon - 6th

I think it's safe that everyone on this list not name 'Kelly' or 'Thomas' have been solid contributors to their team in one way or another. Most of them have developed into reliable pass catchers.

TEs
Dustin Keller - 2nd
Fred Davis - 2nd
Martellus Bennett - 2nd
Jermichael Finley - 3rd

I think Davis could be just as good as Keller, if not better. But obviously the one that stings the most out of '08 TE draftees is Finley. Dude is a match up nightmare.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 28, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Since I was born in 1983 scamp. My family are all fans, as they come from the DC area and we've owned season tickets since 1961. So scamp, I'm curious, were you trying to call me a bandwagon fan or something, because I'm pretty sure I don't qualify.

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 28, 2010 6:02 AM |

Not at all h8. I even said in another post to someone that I was not attemtoing to insult that I was just curious. The reason I ask is because of your supreme confidence and optimism. No way your a bandwagon jumper with that optimism. I was just wondering how you could possibly have that much optimism. I thought maybe you'd been around for all the Gibbs 1.0 years and thus were used to some success. That's all, no insult here.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | September 28, 2010 9:58 AM

Ok...well as it stands right now...for Brown...we're swapping our 3rd with the Saints for their 5th...good deal.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I read somewhere that we are 0-6 in our last 6 games against rookie QBs.

We lost to the Rams 2 out of 3 years, the Lions last year, and almost lost to the Rams last year too.

Rams had lost 14 straight home games and 27 of 28 overall.

UN-ACC-EPT-A-BLE.

This team will NOT make the playoffs.

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 28, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

bean, alot of players were invisible last Sunday. One thing we can't deny is, and Shanahan has said this several times to anyone listening, you have to practice and practice hard to earn the right to play on game day. I like this approach. Over the long run it will be good for morale and players will be in good condition and better prepared to play.

Posted by: hessone | September 28, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

we got beat by the rams 2 years straight

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 9:54 AM

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 28, 2010 10:00 AM

I made that mistake yesterday, we did indeed win...9-7 I think.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

It would be a helluva division if this happened......................

Bettis again ties Cowher to Giants
Posted by Mike Florio on September 28, 2010 9:33 AM ET

Earlier this year, former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis said he believes former Steelers coach Bill Cowher has "really coveted" the Giants job.

Now that Cowher has indicated that he's moving closer to a return and looking for the "right situation," Bettis again has linked Cowher to Big Blue.

"I can tell Coach Cowher misses the game," Bettis writes for SI.com. "He needs a proven quarterback, and because of that I look at Eli Manning and the Giants. If that team keeps heading in its current direction, a coaching change is going to be imminent."

Though Bettis didn't reiterate his belief that Cowher covets the job, there's no reason to believe Bettis' views have changed. And don't forget that it was Bettis in 2006 who insisted that Cowher would quit following the season. Cowher denied it -- and then he quit following the season.

Bettis also raises a solid point as to the persistent rumors that Cowher could land with the Cowboys. "Coach Cowher is very used to a certain type of ownership," Bettis said. "The Rooney family provided him leeway in Pittsburgh and let him handle football decisions. I don't see Coach Cowher and Jerry Jones being on the same page."

Even though the Cowboys have gone 15 years between Super Bowl appearances, Jones likes being able to run the show. Even if he gets rid of Wade Phillips, look for him to hire a head coach who doesn't aspire to take over.

Posted by: TWISI | September 28, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

samson

"Listening to the commentary, there was a lot of talk about a new Vick, one who doesn't make bad decisions or throw off-target passes."

Before I swallow even more crow, I'll say I caught chunks of the iggles v. jags in between bad stretches of skins v. rams.

I was impressed (but then, the iggles were playing the jags--oops, can we hate them given our soory state?).

Vick has changed his game to where he's willing to wait beofre running.

And when he runs, a defense had better not over pursue or be out of position as his legs/speed has returned.

Too, he's extremely accurate to all points of the field.

But you have to hope D Mac is amped.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 28, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

we got beat by the rams 2 years straight

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 9:54 AM

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 28, 2010 10:00 AM

2 out of the last 3 vs the Rams and 20 out of 27 overall. Like I said, we are closer to the Rams than we are a playoff team at this point.

We're in no position to call any game a "trap" game, unless of course it's the other team down playing our chances of defeating them.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 28, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

This team will NOT make the playoffs.

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 28, 2010 10:04 AM

2005...went on a 2-6 stretch...lost to the giants 36 to 0 during that time...and nearly advanced to the NFC Championship...we were probably saying the same thing then.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Why are some fans in such denial, I'll never understand. I'm not being negative, but if anyone thinks Cerrato's class of 2008 isn't a bust by now they'll never get it.

FD is on the field. He can't block and after 3 games has 3 catches for 73 yds. Subtract the 62 yd catch and run and he has 2 catches for 11 yds. Last year ain't this year and if any of the three stick in the NFL, it's going to be FD. I don't think it's going to happen, just my opinion though.

DT can't earn his way onto the field. In his third year, if you listen to his comments, he sounds like a rookie trying to earn a roster spot. HE WILL NEVER MAKE IT AS A RECEIVER IN THE NFL.

MK can't even get on the practice field. HE WILL NEVER MAKE IT AS A RECEIVER IN THE NFL.

Posted by: hessone | September 28, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I thought the run game looked pretty good. Wish we had stayed committed to it, think we could have had some better success.

Also glad Dhall backed up his words...

Posted by: Stu27 | September 28, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 28, 2010 9:56 AM

Silly me. I'm still willing to trust a coach with 1000 years of experience in the NFL who sees the players every day over some blogger in Boston who doesn't even watch the games, much less the practices. Call me crazy, but that's how I am.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 28, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Red, you need to retire your sticks if you're playing with Moss, DT, and Galloway as your top 3 WRs on Madden...the whole point of the game is to live out your dreams. Don't go crazy with it (Greg's annual "Betts for Moss and Brady" trade comes to mind), but I make my lineup tight as possible.

For example: my WRs are VJ, Moss, Stokley, Dominik Hixon, and Brandon Banks. Buffalo was all too happy to take DT and Kelly off my hands for a 4th and 5th rounder, since they only have one WR with a rating better than a 68. AH to the Titans for the 2nd rounder, AC to Seattle to replace the 3rd we lost in the McNabb trade. Picked up Reggie Wells and Kevin Mawae to fix the interior of the line plus Atogwe and Adalius Thomas to shore up the D. While none of those moves would happen in real life, not a single one is a preposterous move that defies logic (at least not in the Madden world). Championship!

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Bradford, though not flawless, was impressive because of the adjustments the Rams coaches made in play selection. After the game, the Skins defensive players kept on emphasizing how Bradford was getting rid of the ball quickly. I almost felt like it was the Bears v. Cowboys game in Week 2 where the Bears were rattled early, but Cutler/Martz led them back with quick throws to counter the blitzes. Haslett looked absolutely exasperated on the sideline.

As for this weekend, it's going to be painful to watch folks. Although the stats may not say so, particularly the 2-1 TD-INT ratio, Donovan is playing great, but his teammates (minus CC47 and SM89 when he's not fumbling) are still the mediocre veterans they always were.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | September 28, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

we got beat by the rams 2 years straight

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 9:54 AM

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 28, 2010 10:00 AM

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 28, 2010 10:09 AM

How did I get mixed up in this? I didn't say that at the top...hessone did.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

we got beat by the rams 2 years straight

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 9:54 AM

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 28, 2010 10:00 AM |

I also posted this in error and unlike alot of the Redskins players, I take full responsability for my shortcomings and will work towards being a better peep in the future.

Posted by: hessone | September 28, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

"JGalloway is playing because he practices great, but gives the team nothing during games....that makes zero sense to me...and if that doesn't SCREAM of MS having too much pride, I don't know what does..."

No secret that Shanahan is very prideful.

No scratch that. More like egotistical and very stubborn.

The guy is a good head coach, no doubt about that. He's won in the NFL, go look at his W/L record. But the knock on Shanahan has always been his stubbornness and his czarism like approach to his football team.

The dude was fired in Denver for a reason. People say that the relationship soured on that his voice just went "stale". I call bullsh*t on that. If you're a "great" coach, no way you'll ever loose your football team.

Not calling for the guy to be fired and I can understand why people get so defensive when the guy is criticized, especially enduring two years of the Zorn fiasco. But lets not kneel and kiss the hymn of Shanahan's robe just yet, and make this guy out to be the end all be all. He isn't perfect, therefor he is isn't above criticism. Whether it's the calls he makes on the field or how he deals with personnel on the field and off it.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 28, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 28, 2010 10:18 AM |

I know you're not calling for him to be fired and I'd like to say NO ONE is above criticism. Having said that, it's been 3 phuking games. This team (and many others) always seem to have some troubles transitioning to new regimes and schemes. I've got to think that a lot of this horribleness is on the players themselves. This coaching staff has a history of success and these players have a history of faliure.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

we got beat by the rams 2 years straight

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 9:54 AM

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 28, 2010 10:00 AM

Cut and Paste Penalty...Number 51...fifteen yards...first down!

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Pretty much the D and special teams won us the first game. The same D and ST also lost us the last 2 games.
I am a lot more worried about shoring up the D. Even though we still havent got a run game and our Oline still blows...ugh

Posted by: Stu27 | September 28, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

TWISI, I'm going out on a limb with this fearless prediction: Cowboys and Chargers both crap the bed this year, miss the playoffs, and fire their coaches. Norv Turner will be the new head coach of the Cowboys and Phillips will go to a 3-4 team as a D-coordinator (probably Cleveland). You heard it here first...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 10:16 AM |

hey brown, I haven't played Madden since I couldn't beat my son anymore. I could blame cheat sheets, but I'm a stand up guy and I know when the writings on the wall. That said, is there an option to turn off the salary cap, cause that lineup of yours just broke the bank, or, is the game updated to match this years no salary cap ? Can you help the old man out ?

Posted by: hessone | September 28, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 10:16 AM

Stock Down: bw26

You still playing on pro difficulty level instead of All Madden?

Here is a tip-
If you have 60 sacks with Orakpo in a season or Brandon Banks plays in a game or CR22 has more than 3 picks in a season or AC99 makes a tackle in space...It's a video game and you need to increase the diff. level.

btw. Haynesworth is an 85 overall down from a 99 last year. I'm thinking that 85 is extremely generous.

Oh and even Stokley thinks your man crush on him is gay.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 28, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Sorry about that PlayAction. It was a minor point that I should've let go anyway.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 28, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

brown, I like those trades... a formidable line up indeed.

But me? I'm that nice on the sticks, real T. I got the '10 'Skins rag-tag roster and thru 9 games I'm 6-3.

Usually what I do my first year on the franchise is make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. I usually keep all the players that are really on the roster. I COME INTO MY FIRST SEASON NOT EXPECTING TO COMPETE FOR A SUPER BOWL. And the 'skins have the perfect roster for actually REBUILDING a team on Madden. I know the idea is to live out your dreams, but "if it's in the game, it's in the game", homie!

Usually by year two I'm in the bowl. In the offseason I make one big pick up on offense and one on defense of the "splash" type. During the draft I'm a trading sum-a-bi*ch. Damn near every pick and every player is for sale at draft time.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 28, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

we got beat by the rams 2 years straight

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 9:54 AM

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 28, 2010 10:00 AM |

Posted by: hessone | September 28, 2010 10:18 AM
-----------------------------------------
Ain't nothing you can do 'bout dat.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 28, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

brownwood26 I think the mess this year in San Diego is on AJ Smith. However, Turner can't win in the playoffs so I can see where it may be time to go in a different direction. I think Coughlin is out in NY as well. Players aren't hearing his message anymore.

Posted by: TWISI | September 28, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 28, 2010 10:18 AM

I don't think it's defensive so much as it's waaay too early to make sweeping proclamations about the guy one way or the other. Most have gotten on Shanahan for the handling of AH, and without getting into that shibacle again, the only other way to handle it is to give AH his way...which MOST coaches worth a sh*t aren't gonna do. Taking him to task for actually football stuff is plenty in-bounds, especially now that we've crapped away two winnable games.

I just wouldn't do it because 3 games is way too early. I mean, Zorn was 2-1 his first three and we'd win precious few times after that...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

"This was a strong game overall, but there were a lot of danger signs -- sacks, bad throws, bad plays by the defense that the Eagles got away with -- that tell me that the old Vick is still hanging around, waiting to show himself against a good NFL defense."

Posted by: Samson151 | September 28, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

If the "old" Vick is waiting for a good NFL defense to show himself, then I guess he'll stay in hiding this week...

Posted by: p1funk | September 28, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

"If you're a "great" coach, no way you'll ever loose your football team.

Posted by: RedDMV"

You think he lost that football team? I'm pretty sure his former players all revere him. Heck, their franchise QB quit on the team and forced a trade largely due to the firing of Shanahan and his staff.

Shanahan was fired because he refused to give up full control. Bowlen wanted to put a GM in place who could construct a proper defense for Shanahan's team, but Shanahan wouldn't allow it. That, coupled with his inability to build a consistently stable defense in the first place, is why he got fired.

Egotistical and stubborn? Absolutely. He's earned that right though.

Shanahan's issue is not losing his player's confidence. There is certainly no shortage of that, even with the 1-2 Redskins. It's his defenses, and it always has been.

Let's just hope these Skins aren't following that same path on that side of the ball.

Posted by: psps23 | September 28, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

scamp, Haslett has been an average coach at best.

True, he won the 2000 NFL coach of the year but besides that, what has he really done?

The dude was coaching in the UFL last year.

He won COY in that league too.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 28, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 28, 2010 10:31 AM

NP coleman...it was getting to me too...then I was quoted as saying it haha

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Listening to CP on the radio. CP trying to the high road, but interviewers trying to get him to say something controversial. CP didn't throw HC under the bus. Good job

Posted by: TWISI | September 28, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Where is Brandon Banks ? And who is this Devin Hester Guy anywho ?

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | September 28, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

diesel44

We're in no position to call any game a "trap" game,...

Has it come to this?

We are a bottom-feeder team that has yet to have a moment of clarity?

We mock the lions, rams, browns, seahawks, bucs, niners, and bills while ignoring that we are all located in the usual places come the NFL draft--the Top 10.

Even the super sorry chiefs have come up during the time we've been down.

If anything, I guess we just have to put on the Patience Cap and wait out all the changes the new regime has put in place--again.

At least rebuilding is something we can all get used to as for some redskin fans, it's all they've ever known.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 28, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | September 28, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

CP is stupid, but he's not a moron.

He knows that if you try to throw this coach under the bus, your tail gets thrown on the bench. Period.

Posted by: p1funk | September 28, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Hess, I keep the salary cap. The cap numbers aren't exactly right, so even with the salary cap I still got rid of AH's massive contract and had plenty of room going into the 2nd season to get my draft picks signed and a couple FAs (Champ Bailey, anyone?)

LOL @ Diesel...I'm up to the highest level, still got 23 sacks with Orakpo. He's just that good. BTW, the drop in AH's rating has more to do with his switch to DE from DT than anything...if you change his position to DT, he's a 97 (which is still waaay too high).

Good stuff Red...I used to do the same thing, but that was during the Gibbs 2.0 Era. During the Zorn Era, I wouldn't even play the current year...just sim it so I can get a REAL coach and a couple better O-lineman.

The thing I love about the last couple years of Madden is that you can draft impact players deep into the draft if you scout well. I've pulled starters with 80+ ratings in the 7th round...pretty easy to rebuild when you can get 7 starters in every draft...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

"Heck, their franchise QB quit on the team and forced a trade largely due to the firing of Shanahan and his staff." - psps23

psps, that is a lie and you know it! The reason why Cutler wanted out of Denver was because McDaniels wanted to trade him. When McDaniels wasn't forthright about his intentions and finally confessed to Cutler about trying to shop him weeks later, it was only then Cutler demanded to leave Denver. He felt he couldn't trust McDaniels anymore. Shanahan and his staff getting fired didn't have a damn thing to do with Cutler forcing a trade out of Denver.

C'mon on man, I know you're in the tank for Shanahan, GOD HC and whatnot, but lets not go fabricating or embellishing the facts.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 28, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Didn't do...like cover receivers, make tackles or pressure the QB...nice insight there, Los.

Posted by: p1funk | September 28, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | September 28, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

CP is stupid, but he's not a moron.

Posted by: p1funk | September 28, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

We already threw him to the bench. Dude had a 7.5 yd average and he gets 1 touch in the second half. Not committing to the run game will hurt us all year, especially when dmac is getting busted by real defenses.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 28, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Where is Brandon Banks ?

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | September 28, 2010 10:44 AM

Why do you want him? Need some yard work done? Call his agent.

Amazing all the guys who posted up here when the was cut that he was going to be running back punts for TD's against the 'Skins.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 28, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 28, 2010 10:46 AM

I think his butt is already on the bench; at least was this past Sunday.

Posted by: TWISI | September 28, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 28, 2010 10:40 AM

If things don't work out with Has, we can make a run at Phillips for D-coordinator. He's a patsy HC, but you can't argue with his results as a D-coordinator.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 28, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse"

Really?

Jay Cutler's agent says his client's relationship with the Denver Broncos disintegrated after the firing of coach Mike Shanahan and a broken promise that Shanahan's offensive staff would largely remain intact, according to a report on NFL.com.

Bus Cook told the Web site that Cutler met with Broncos owner Pat Bowlen shortly after Shanahan was fired on Dec. 30 to express his concerns.

"Jay was disappointed in the firing of Mike Shanahan and met with the owner. The owner assured him everything would be fine. The owner said he had the second-best offense in football and would leave the offensive staff intact. Jay was good with that. Then he hires an offensive coach who gets rid of the staff," Cook told NFL.com."

Posted by: psps23 | September 28, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 28, 2010 9:42 AM |

HOG WASH !

Posted by: hessone | September 28, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I hope you are being sarcastic.
We played up to Dallas' level, or down since they suck, we played up to Houston's level with 426 passing yards, and we just played MUCH lower than St. Louis' level cause we got our azzes handed to us. We'll play better against Philly, but sadly I don't see us winning.
But it could happen, yeah, and monkeys could fly outta by butt!

Posted by: monk811 | September 28, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

We'll play better against Philly, but sadly I don't see us winning.
But it could happen, yeah, and monkeys could fly outta by butt!

Posted by: monk811 | September 28, 2010 11:02 AM

Redskins 24, Eagles 20

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Why do you want him? Need some yard work done?

Posted by: beep-beep | September 28, 2010 10:55 AM

Be ready to saw the handle of your rake down to Lollipop Guild size.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 28, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

We need TWill back this week in a big way.

I can't believe how much him being out changed the game plan. They went into a shell and were one dimensional, kinda like recent history.

Need ya silverback!

Posted by: stevek20147 | September 28, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 10:58 AM

Are you speaking for/as the owner here? "Okay, Marty, you can stay on as head coach, but I've picked a new defensive coordinator for you." "Okay, Jim, you've got the job and I've already selected your coordinators for you."

Posted by: beep-beep | September 28, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

""Shanahan and his staff getting fired didn't have a damn thing to do with Cutler forcing a trade out of Denver.Posted by: RedDMV"

Yeah, it did. As did who they hired to replace Shanahan, of course.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 28, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

If the Redskin players were looking past the
Rams taking that game for granted, then that's a coaching fault. If none of the coaching staff
recognized that issue, then it's on them. It's
a pre-game locker room feature to get the
players ready to do battle as if it were a
must win or a play off game.

Posted by: DeployedFan | September 28, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

We need TWill back this week in a big way.

Need ya silverback!

Posted by: stevek20147 | September 28, 2010 11:09 AM |

That's because they know Heyer is absolutely horrible. I can't believe he is still on this team. Yea, yea I've heard it. "He's got game experience." Who gives a sh!t? When your game experience consists of getting blown by on every single pass play then your game experience counts for zero.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Skins are 6 1/2 point dogs to the Eagles. Shawn Springs is on ESPN First Take saying it's gonna be more than 10. Donk...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

psps, we can go back and forth all day on this. You'll pull a source and I'll pull a source:

Cutler says he can't trust McDaniels

You move there, hoss.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 28, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 10:58 AM

Ugh, that's what we need, more of the same type of operation around here. Some damn owner thinking he knows football more than the football guys. It's been 3 games.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2010 11:12 AM

100% agree. How they don't kick the tires on Levi Jones again is beyond me...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 28, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

WELL SAID. I couldn't agree more. Thanks for this voice of reason!

Posted by: watchingfromasia | September 28, 2010 9:39 AM

Full disclosure: He sounded just as reasonable while continually arguing that Jason Campbell was a good QB.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 28, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

100% agree. How they don't kick the tires on Levi Jones again is beyond me...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 11:16 AM

The day hasn't begun on RI until brownwood26 suggests that we should "kick the tires on" .....

How does that work, anyway? What constitutes a good tire-kicking and how do we know whose tires they've kicked, whose tires they've sniffed at, and whose tires they just ignored? Especially difficult now that Beantowngreg has stopped copying posts like "The Redskins Kicked Brown's Tires" from PFT.

Personally, I think tire kicking is way overrated and what they really need to do is some good asz-kicking.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 28, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

1) I had no idea Levi Jones was available. He's a much better option they Heyer.

2) If his handle is descriptive...you gotta hand it to a Skins fan "watchingfromasia".

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 28, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 11:12 AM

Skins nearly 2 and 0 as dogs...BIG 0 an 1 as faves...not sure if they play to their level or not...but sure seems so.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Red, I didn't say Shanahan and his staff's firings were the only reason he requested a trade. I said it was a large aspect of it, and it was. Your account of McDaniels attempting to trade Cutler and refusing to commit to him was the final straw. I never denied that. Doesn't change the fact that Cutler revered him, was upset that he and his staff were fired, and that it all played into Cutler's decision to force a trade.

Regardless, the point was that Shanahan never lost the trust of his team, particularly on the offensive side of the ball. He was fired because of his unwillingness to have a GM work above/with him.

Posted by: psps23 | September 28, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 28, 2010 10:46 AM

I think his butt is already on the bench; at least was this past Sunday.

Posted by: TWISI | September 28, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Well, sure.

Diving on the turf in the open field b/c you fear contact is also a bench-able situation...

Posted by: p1funk | September 28, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2010 11:16 AM

Scamp, that was tongue-in-cheek my man...no need to get worked up. When Has gets his guys flying around picking Romo off 4 times in the Dallas rematch, everyone up here will be lining up to give him verbal handjobs...no homo.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

"...we can make a run at Phillips for D-coordinator. He's a patsy HC, but you can't argue with his results as a D-coordinator."

I don't think anybody is going to get fired based on a unit's performance after 3 games.

This suggests building long term, but the trade for an older q-back in McNabb makes you wonder.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 28, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2010 11:12 AM

100% agree. How they don't kick the tires on Levi Jones again is beyond me...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 11:16 AM
------------------------------------------
Levi Jones? You mean that offensive tackle who no other team has thought so much of as to even give him a work out? I'd be for elevating Robinson or Capers from the developmental roster before I'd even start talking about Levi Jones.

Besides, I don't think he fits with this zone blocking scheme. Obviously, Dockery doesn't fit as well, although I really didn't see an improvement in offensive line play with Lichenhisstubbie in there. Face it: there's nothing Shanahan likes about the smash mouth offensive line he inherited except Rabach and I don't get that one either.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 28, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2010 11:12 AM

100% agree. How they don't kick the tires on Levi Jones again is beyond me...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 11:16 AM
------------------------------------------

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 28, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

LH, you hit some and you miss some. McNabb is far better than JC ever was.

Posted by: psps23 | September 28, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Still surprised Heyer is the only OLineman being called out.

Last year, I was the one saying our OLine was fine and everyone bashed me.....This year, THEY'RE WORSER THAN LAST YEAR....

2009 2010
Sameuls - TWill = Push
Dockery - Dock/Lich = Downgrade since Dock was benched and the new guy still getting false starts.
Rabach - Rabach = Downgrade...He can't push sh!t.
M Williams - Hicks = Push AT BEST
Levi Brown - Brown = Push at best

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 28, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Well, sure.

Posted by: p1funk | September 28, 2010 11:26 AM
------------------------------------------
It wasn't "diving on the turf". CP was actually trying to tunnel beneath defenders. Few people realize that his nickname in college was "the mole".

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 28, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 28, 2010 11:31 AM

I could'a gone all day without reading "Lichenhisstubbie"....twice!

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 28, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

beep, it's simple...bring in a FA and work him out. If he's better than what you've got, you sign him. If he's not, you shake his hand and wish him well. I think you know full well what I mean and you're just angling for a laugh that's not coming...

I guess I should clarify when I'm joking a little better...amazing how many people are jumping on the "Phillips as DC" remark. I'm one of the few up here that's NOT calling for Haslett's head and I'd wanna replace him? Dude is here for the next 2-3 years MINIMUM, so we might as well get used to him...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

"I think the idea is to force an offensive and defensive scheme on the roster, and then, build and draft based on what holes/weaknesses you see in the players.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 28, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Very well put. Succinctly sums up what I've been trying to say about the defense in particular. The scheme is in place, and there are several good/great young pieces already here, 2 of which should be the cornerstones for the foreseeable future (Orakpo and Landry).

The scheme isn't perfect with the personnel we have right now, but it could be in a year or two with the right acquisitions. If the team can fill the holes at NT and OLB with consistent role players, this defense could be great with Orakpo and Landry wreaking havoc.

The McNabb does raise questions, but I think Shanahan honestly believes that McNabb can be a top quality starter for at least another 3-4 years.

Posted by: psps23 | September 28, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 28, 2010 11:17 AM

And learnedhand1 sounds just as snarky on all his posts. Dude raises snark from a way of life to an art.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 28, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

lh, you hit some and you miss some. McNabb is far better than JC ever was.

Posted by: psps23 | September 28, 2010 11:32 AM

Good to see you live by my motto...while we bringing up the past.......9 months ago, we went back and forth about Bradford, if he's there.....Like I said, he would have been worth it.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 28, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

brownwood

"Dude is here for the next 2-3 years MINIMUM, so we might as well get used to him..."

He'll be here and they'll draft the players he needs:

a nose tackle

a free safety

an outside linebacker

No one on this staff is going anywhere until some sign of massive improvement is evident.

So get used to the Shanahans: it's going to be a long ride.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 28, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

read somewhere that we are 0-6 in our last 6 games against rookie QBs.

Rams had lost 14 straight home games and 27 of 28 overall.

UN-ACC-EPT-A-BLE.

This team will NOT make the playoffs.

Posted by: Rypien11

Playoffs? I just hope we can win another game!

Posted by: Lisa_R | September 28, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Redskins 24, Eagles 20

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Isn't this what you predicted for the Rams game? I think you'd better change it, seems like you jinxed us!

Posted by: monk811 | September 28, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 28, 2010 11:31 AM

And what scheme does Heyer fit? Didn't fit the last one, doesn't fit this one...the only one I can think of is the "Hold 'Em if You Can't Block 'Em" system they run in Dallas...

Levi Jones is nothing special, but he's better than Heyer, who's nothing more than a practice squad guy masquerading as a starter. The sooner the Redskins realize this the better off we'll be.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Moe, b/c they only have one on the roster we definitely need another free safety...but is the next one going to be K. Moore's back-up, or replacement?

I think he's going to get a lot better as the season goes on.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 28, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Sameuls - TWill = Push
Rabach - Rabach = Downgrade...He can't push sh!t.
M Williams - Hicks = Push AT BEST
Levi Brown - Brown = Push at best

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 28, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

-------

What is this, a best of 2009 compilation?

Samuels and Levi Brown weren't on the team at the same time. Levi Brown was brought in after Samuels went down. And even then he didn't start right away. Stephon Heyer was the only 16 game starter at tackle.

So Samuels + Levi Brown + D'Anthony Batiste

And Jamaal Brown >>>>>>> Stephon Heyer

Mike Williams vs. Artis Hicks is a push? Seriously? Mike Williams was awful last year. Great story, nice reclamation project, but he wasn't even close to a competent lineman last year. After a full year of strength training and practices Williams WOULD have challenged Hicks for the starting spot this year, but that's a BMW that is much better than the BMW we had last year.

It amazes me how you think last year's line is anywhere near the caliber of this year's line. Seriously, the best player from last year's line just lost his starting spot this year to a newcomer. That alone says it all.

Posted by: psps23 | September 28, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | September 28, 2010 11:38 AM

That's some high praise coming from the master of snark.

psps, pay the old man no mind. I wasn't being snarky. I'm a fan for real. I was just f'kin' witchu. You're one of the few guys up here who knows how to disagree in a congenial and respectful manner. People don't know they've been cut until they see the blood.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 28, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

So get used to the Shanahans: it's going to be a long ride.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 28, 2010 11:41 AM

But that's what we want, right?

Mike gets us to the promised land, passes the torch to Kyle, who then coaches up our QB of the future and keeps the good times rollin'.

That's the plan...now let's go get it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 28, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Yep, you were right. Bradford is legit. He looked better on Sunday than any rookie QB I've seen in a long, long time. I can't remember the last rookie to make the checks and reads he was doing. Not even Matt Ryan or Big Ben. He's the real deal.

Posted by: psps23 | September 28, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 11:44 AM
-------------------------------------------
Heyer is cheap and will do whatever it takes to stay with the team. LJ is expensive and wants to play. The difference between the two isn't so much that I would spend the extra money. Heyer isn't the tackle of the future - he's the low cost spackling for today.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 28, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 28, 2010 11:43 AM

Sure is monk...maybe I was just a week off? So I'll stick with 24 -20.

And as far as jinxing us goes...I think I was the only one not predicting a blowout...unless they all meant the rams blowing out the skins? I remember taking alot of heat for calling for a close game haha

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

That's some high praise coming from the master of snark.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 28, 2010 11:48 AM

I have a post-it over my monitor: "How would learnedhand1 write it?" Alas, I'm not even a learnedass, much less a learnedhand. But, it's my goal.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 28, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 28, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 28, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Bradford would have been good, but there are 2 big holes in your prediction swiss cheese
1. how much would it have cost us to move up to get Bradford? Probably our 1st, then next years 1st and second since we didn't have a second or third from last year. Even though having a young franchise QB like that would have been nice, we have too many holes to address to only be able to address them with later round picks.
2. Bradford would have been killed already in the first 3 games because we wouldn't have been able to draft Trent Williams to protect him. Anybody remember back 9 months ago and how bad our OLine was? Ooh, I Do, I Do!!!

Posted by: monk811 | September 28, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

lh, you hit some and you miss some. McNabb is far better than JC ever was.

Posted by: psps23 | September 28, 2010 11:32 AM

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 28, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 28, 2010 11:39 AM

What you forgot to point out is that he'd also be dead before the bye week with Heyer watching his blind side. And before you counter with "Jammal Brown would be the LT and Heyer would play RT", the only difference there would be Bradford actually seeing his killer coming from the other side. All things considered, I think we made the right call.

That said, he does look legit. For his sake, I hope he can stay healthy...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Sam Bradford = Good QB = NERD

Posted by: monk811 | September 28, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Portis still listed No. 1 on the Redskins' depth chart

no duh, he's our only proven RB, averages 1200 yards per season, is an outstanding blocker, and decent pass receiver.

he's our only proven RB - good job coaches we have 1 RB

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 28, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 28, 2010 11:55 AM

By that logic, I should roll with an ugly, diseased hooker since she'd be cheap and willing to do anything to "earn" that trick.

No thanks, buddy.

If Jones is gonna hold on to a high price, then that makes the decision for us. I'd throw in a little extra $ in the form of escalators if it'll get his price down. After all, this is an uncapped year. All I'm saying is that we shouldn't just assume Heyer is the best we can do because based on what I've seen of him, that can't possibly be true...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

he's our only proven RB - good job coaches we have 1 RB and the other 2 are going back to pop warner

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 28, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

There, fixed it for ya!

Posted by: monk811 | September 28, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I thought everyone was giving big ups to big Mike as a RG. He was battaling Hicks for the starting spot this year....Hicks has shown so far he isn't a RG.

Last year, I had Sameuls pegged as LT coming in the season as the village was screamin the OLine sucked before he got injured......I thought Heyer began the year on the bench...but I'll go with it....Either way, Jamal Brown finally has played a full game against the Rams...He is still injured and he is averaging atleast one holding call per game...

...Rabach is regressing or just getting old/weak

...Did Dock even play? His replacement had plenty of miscues....

...TWill looks real good, but he still gets beat here and there, but he will be a monster in a few years, prob next year....

@Monk - The disscussion back then was if Bradford falls to #4 as that's how the Mocks had them at the time.....And should we go for the top LT in the draft or the top QB....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 28, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Rams rookie Sam Bradford leaves Redskins impressed

High Priced Big Splash Veteran Free Agent McNabb leaves Redskins with a 4th Quarter Pickle

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 28, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Sam Bradford = Good QB = NERD

Posted by: monk811 | September 28, 2010 12:05 PM

Sam Bradford = Van Wilder

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 12:02 PM

We could of got a starting LT in the top of the 2nd round....Detriot did it....And so did St. Louis.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 28, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 28, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Oh, sorry for messing that up!!! That one went WAY over my head, someone get that for me......

Posted by: monk811 | September 28, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Playoffs? I just hope we can win another game!

Posted by: Lisa_R | September 28, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

We said this last year after (I think) the KC game last year, and we managed to win a couple more. It looked bad last week, but we're still in that 7 wins or so category teams. That type of team will lay a fudge dragon on the field from time to time.

But no, I don't think we're a playoff team and didn't really think we would be this year anyway.

And really, people? Do any of you claim that you wouldn't have positively KILLED the FO for drafting Bradford over Okung or TWill? I call BS on that.

pabrian, good to see you got CP's c*ck out of your hand long enough to type something.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | September 28, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 28, 2010 12:12 PM

Maybe...but it wouldn't be a stud Week 1 starter like TWill.

Again...love Bradford, but I think we made the right call.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I won't say Bradford was a better pick than Williams -- that has yet to play out -- but Bradford is certainly the best rookie QB I've seen in recent memory.

Posted by: psps23 | September 28, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Any QB the skins play so far this season not impress them?

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

No thanks, buddy.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 28, 2010 12:09 PM
------------------------------------------
Actually, I think a more fitting comparison would be going for the 250 pound fat chick at the bar instead of going for the 200 pound fat chick at the bar because you know she'd be a lot more into doing whatever to please you, but hey, it sounds like the voice of experience on your part so, whatever analogy floats your boat.

I get what you are saying. Hey, if there was someone out there that could do better than Heyer right now, then I'd be all for pulling the trigger, but I am saying LJ isn't worth it. I'd be happier elevating some of the pups and let them sharpen their teeth by playing tight end on goal line and maybe some occasional spot work. Capers, in my opinion, would be perfect for this duty since he played some tightend in college before he put on the pounds for the o-line.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 28, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

problem is the skins are being outlasted. In all three games they have given up big numbers and barely escaped with a win against the awful cowgirls. DO the math. How many yards and points have they given up in the 4th quarter? The defense is not hoding up. No pass rusha nd no push up the midle. On offense, unable to run the ball means unable to chew the clock to preserve the lead. Offensive and Defensive lines are the problem people.

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | September 28, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

You def wouldn't have gotten a mauler like TWill.....I agree.....But whateves...

Here's hoping Vick to the IR by Dirty30 this weekend....

PENCIL IT IN!

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 28, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I bet at this point, the Skins brass is impressed with Jimmy Clausen.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 28, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

CP falling down beeps

Posted by: PlayAction | September 28, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

The cheifs r looking nice...

Some may remember me begging for mcluster...

We need a draft like they had....

I think 3 or 4 rook starters???

Dynamic starters also

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 28, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

ESPN is talking about M. Lynch possibly being on the trading block...anyone interested in Lynch as a RB on this team? Just interested in the thoughts of others. At one time, recently, I thought he was considered a elite rusher, other than his law issues and hitting pedestrians.

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 28, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse