Randle El Endorses Zorn

Jason Reid files this dispatch:

Just got off the phone with wide receiver Antwaan Randle El, who says he's excited about Jim Zorn, recently hired as Washington's offensive coordinator, becoming the team's next head coach. Although Zorn had never previously served as a head coach or top-level offensive assistant before joining the Redskins, he could be a good fit with Washington, Randle El said.
"I definitely think this can be a good thing for the offense, a real good thing, now that we know Jim is going to be our next coach," Randle El said. "The defense was already taken care of when they moved up coach [Greg] Blache to take over. He was an in-house guy, and the right guy, and Jim is a good hire, too. He's from the outside, but he's coming in with a good reputation."
Zorn, formerly the Seattle Seahawks' quarterbacks coach, has a reputation for being a good teacher, and Randle El experienced Zorn's easy-going style first-hand. "I got a chance to know him a little bit when he worked with me during the Senior Bowl," Randle El said. "I worked with him as a quarterback and receiver and I got to see how he does things. Since I've been [in the NFL], I've talked to a lot of guys who have said good things about him.
"From what I understand, he has a really good track record as far as working with quarterbacks. Matt Hasselbeck is a friend of mine and he says a lot of good things about him. He told me if it hadn't been for Zorn, he probably wouldn't be the quarterback he is today. That means a lot to me coming from Matt."
The development of young quarterback Jason Campbell is a priority for the organization. Randle El expected Campbell to benefit from Zorn's direction as the play caller, and having Zorn as the head coach could be even better for Campbell.
"Jason still needs that guy, the quarterbacks coach in his corner, and [Zorn] has been that guy for other quarterbacks," Randle El said. "Now, he's going to be the head coach here. I think that could be big for Jason."

By Cindy Boren  |  February 9, 2008; 9:18 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shawn Springs Reacts To The Hiring Of Jim Zorn
Next: What's Next

Comments

FIRST!!

Posted by: novus_0 | February 9, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Zorncond!

Posted by: PDiddy | February 9, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

I like this hire. If it couldn't be Williams, I'll take Zorn. At least the fans don't have to burn down Redskins Park, sell their season tickets, root for the Jags or some other team, or give up football all together now. Bring on the 2008 season!

Posted by: novus_0 | February 9, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

He was Zorn to be a head coach.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 9, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

****here is the email that made DS pause************************************

Here is my submission

I just wanted to let you know the apparent displeasure you are inciting amonst all the the faithful fans who fill the skins coffers each year.

Now nothing has been made official, but I guarantee that if the Redskins dont stick with continuity (your words not mine)and keep the current coaching staff (we dont consider promoting vinny as continuity) then you might just lose the fans base that your money making machine, I mean football organization.

I speak for many people on many public forums that we are starting to feel used and abused by you Mr Snyder. We love our redskins, we have bought into what you have sold us for the last four years about going about this thing correct. You brought Gibbs in to right the ship, and now when we seem close and you have a chance to stay on that path it appears you are ready to abandon said ship to get on the fancier one.

The skins faithful will not stand. A great business man as youself should know you dont bite the hand that feeds you. Pay attention to your constituents for once Mr Synder.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Posted by: Zebraskins | January 23, 2008 11:03 AM

**** He still did the end around and only kept blache and brought in Zorn. Close enough i guess

Posted by: Zebraskins | February 9, 2008 09:30 PM

Posted by: Zebraskins | February 9, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Wow! I am actually pretty surprised - just got home and was thinking that I have to make peace with the fact that Fassel would be the head coach and figured I would check RI for any update! WOW! I think this might be a good thing..

Posted by: suzannepdc | February 9, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

So who will be the offensive coordinator?

Posted by: sspiper_bs | February 9, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

NFL.com has the best name of them all. the Zorn Identity.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 9, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

So, how do you expect -$nyder to spin this?

If Zorn was your first choice (i.e, the "best guy") why not make him he HC weeks ago? You didn't have to bring him in just to be the OC, he could have interviewed for the HC position now, w/o Seattle's permission.

If he's gonna say he wanted Zorn to be the HC from his first interview, why wait and go through these sham interviews? That's like asking someone to marry you and then keep dating to see if someone better is out there. Bottom line: either he doesn't know what he wants in a coach or he had to settle.

Posted by: nojunk4me | February 9, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

So who will be the offensive coordinator?

Posted by: sspiper_bs | February 9, 2008 09:33 PM

Joe Bftplx. He's a friend of Vinny's from eight grade. He's never actually coached, but he's watched a lot of NFL (even has the Sunday package from Dish) and he's, well, out of work. Vinny slept with his sister in high school, so there are some deep ties there.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 9, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

me so zorny!

Posted by: dwdjmu | February 9, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

nojunk, I CAN'T WAIT to see how the spin comes down on this.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 9, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

BTW, the poster earlier who said that Zorn was going to suck for five years, couldn't be more wrong.

No way in hell, Danny allows him to stay for five years.

Posted by: nojunk4me | February 9, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

diddy,

Spin's already out on the Redskins website:

"Zorn was initially hired on Jan. 26 as the Redskins' offensive coordinator, but he impressed team officials enough to be considered as head coach.

"We're proud that our search was diligent, thorough and resulted in the announcement," said team owner Daniel M. Snyder. "Jim's track record and reputation as a player, great teacher and as a coach makes us confident that they will translate to success for the Redskins."

Basically, the better they got to know him....

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 9, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

What an absolute joke.

We all felt the duo were lost - and now we know they were.

Zorn is imminently unqualified to be a HC. He's been a freakin' QB Coach for years.

The clowns wanted a 'yes man', and they got one.

He'll last thru game 5 of season 2.

Posted by: gdennie | February 9, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

t_e, that's weak :-)

I don't know how they can mask the fact that they interviewed nearly every assistant in the NFL and finally settled on a guy out of the blue over the weekend.

What a bunch of maroons.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 9, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Wow. I can't believe this.

3 thoughts:

1) Talk about having your expectations lowered: Gibbs to Gregg to Mooch to Meeks to Fossil. Then back to Zorn??? A person who has never even been a coordinator.

2) Hey DANbots. We are not idiots. Some of you have spent the last week posting about what a genius Dan is while simultaneously trashing anyone who was a counter model of integrity (I don't mind the GG bashing, he had his issues, but when it comes down to trashing Gibbs, etc. you guys really piss me off). Some like Leevi have at least done it for a week or so. But to see a bunch of you show up 10 minutes after press announcement is depressing - how stupid do you think we are? Go back to ES please.

3) Who knows -- Zorn could be good (although as per #1 it would be nice if someone besides DannyVinny even thought he was worth a 2nd tier job, much less a first tier one - I am calling this the dartboard theory of coaching selection). But if this doesn't work then we will have proved a lot faster than we would have that our Cerrato and Danny are idiots, not that this is any great consolation given most on RI concluded this long ago.
HTTR I guess -

Posted by: cleary900 | February 9, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

WTF...Zorn?
Okay!

I was ready for JG 3.0. I guess I am in the dark. You know what, might as well hand the reighns to him, instead of those re-treads. Maybe I will pick up the tab on my season tix.

Go skins!

Posted by: gmitchum | February 9, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Danny and Vinny must be scouting the high schools for an offensive coordinator.

Posted by: freegatorz | February 9, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

They don't need a Head Coach with experience, Vinny hired a nice Defensive Line coach yesterday that has college experience, rather than the guy Blache wanted. We should be ALL SET!

Posted by: Montygraw | February 9, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

So who will be the offensive coordinator?

Posted by: sspiper_bs | February 9, 2008 09:33 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 9, 2008 09:36 PM

Easily the funniest thing I have read on RI. I had to go to the bathroom to keep from peeing my pants. Three cheers for Joe Bftplx!

Posted by: jwlemons | February 9, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

"Steve Spurrier will bring a supercharged, exciting and dynamic brand of football to our great fans," owner Daniel M. Snyder said in a news release.

"His ability to energize players and teams is unprecedented. The Redskins deserve to be back at the Super Bowl, and I am immensely confident that Steve is the coach to get us there."

It's a wonder they just didn't do a search and replace of "Spurrier" with "Zorn."

Posted by: nojunk4me | February 9, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I for one am very happy that it is not Fassel. Let's give Zorn a chance we all cried (most of us) we would support anyone but Fassel. Give Zorn a chance to do his thing.

Posted by: jm220 | February 9, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

To all you idiots who clamored about how Dan and Vinny had a plan/knew what they doing:

Drink down Zorn. A total nothing in the league promoted two huge levels overnite. He has no track record of leading anything other than a QB in Seattle.

What a freakin' leap of faith these clowns have made. The have been totally lsot in the wilderness for weeks and they come up with this solution?!

Are you kidding me?!

Litmus test - one month ago, if anyone had floated his name as the new HC of the Skins, this town would have had a *hit fit.
Now, the rapid loyalist rationalize that he be a good choice.

Hilarious.

Posted by: gdennie | February 9, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Joe Gibbs was just quoted as saying "Danny interviewed his guts out and made a super-smart selection."

Posted by: godiva2 | February 9, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Another thing about Zorn is he went back to Seattle and tried to get a raise/extension like the other coordinators and Seattle, said "Thanks, but no thanks."

Posted by: nojunk4me | February 9, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: godiva2 | February 9, 2008 09:56 PM

LMAO! Please tell me you are joking

Posted by: jm220 | February 9, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Mort just said it's a 5-yr deal worth $15 million.

Why a 5-yr over a 3-yr to an unproven HC?

Posted by: gdennie | February 9, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Who knows? Much like Grimm would have been, zorn is a total unknown. Could be the next gibbs, could be the next marinelli. I do know that zorn is one lucky bastard. All you can do is cross your fingers...

Posted by: WrongDog | February 9, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

So there are some great videos of the red snapper on NFL.com. Real fun stuff.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 9, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

So, the Dynamic Duo decide to go out and make a big plash. We know they approached the only two big fish out there, Carroll and Cowher, and were rebuffed, as expected.

They then tried to get a coach with "experience", and approached Fassel and Mariucci. I'd love to know what happened there. Did both coaches insist on a level of control that the Dynamic Duo were unwilling to offer? Did they differ on salary? Did they simply decide that they couldn't trust the 'Skins "braintrust"?

Finally, they interviewed a bunch of really promising assistants: Meeks, Spagnuolo, Schwartz, etc. Again, same questions.

The answers to these questions will give us everything we want to know about the competence of these two guys in charge of our beloved football team.

Finally, I am very curious how anyone can put lipstick on this pig with a straight face. Zorn is a good coach and a good guy, but, seriously...this is the best they could do? I find that hard to believe.

I think what happened here is that they couldn't get the assistants they really did want (Spagnuolo and perhaps Schwartz) because they had already painted themselves in a corner by signing Blache and Zorn.

Idiots. I don't know how you can sugarcoat this one.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 9, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Mort just said it's a 5-yr deal worth $15 million.

Why a 5-yr over a 3-yr to an unproven HC?

Posted by: gdennie | February 9, 2008 10:04 PM

Show the players a vote of confidence?

Posted by: alex35332 | February 9, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Zorn wouldn't sign without a long-term deal. A 3 year deal implies a seat warmer coach in waiting for Cowher. A 5 year deal demonstrates some semblance of loyalty from management.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 9, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Length of the contract doesn't matter. If we suck he won't be given 5 years and if we are good it will be a non issue. Common sense would suggest Snyder will have to be patient with Zorn. It is his hand picked head coach. If he fires him after 1 or 2 years he will look like a bigger jackass than he already does.

Posted by: cdubb | February 9, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

It does matter to Zorn and his agent. Coaches contracts are guaranteed in the NFL. I'll also bet Zorn and his agent smelled the desperation from the Dynamic Duo. They had the leverage in the negotiation.

I, personally, am pretty confident that we'll be redoing this whole thing in 2 years. Hopefully the blog is still around.

Posted by: PDiddy | February 9, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: JustMe | February 9, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Alrighty. Just jumping in the foray without reading any post since the promotion of Zorn.

Here's my take:

Dan Snyder picked Zorn because he has no history for the fans to pick over. Most people are like, 'Dude?'. I know I am.

I am not mad, but I wish I knew more. I'm sure that's how fans felt about Gibbs 1.0 when he 1st came aboard........

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 9, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I go out for dinner and this is what VinnyDAN does?

Okay - deep breath.

I am . . . . okay with this. Not okay like I would have been if he had swallowed his pride and hired GG, but I am okay.

Hiring Facile could never have worked, because clearly VinnyDAN was not enthused, and GG was NEVER going to be the coach, VinnyDAN just flat out does not like him. Mooch and Meeks would have been safer picks, and I think Meeks would have probably been the right call (again assuming GG and Grimm would not be hired due to personal issues) but this is okay. It gets the offense excited again, and the defense really should be pretty much the same.

I am excited.

I am excited about Zorn, and I more excited that the most extended case of auto-feliatio know to human-kind, the Skins HC search, is over.

Just one thing left for me to do:

Nick Giaquinto for OC Baby!!!!!

Posted by: RedBee | February 9, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

First off let me say that I don't believe the DD have a clue on how to run a professional football team-or a flag football team for that matter. I do believe that they may have hit paydirt on this one. I am a skins fan living in Seattle and although everyone is screaming about him not getting anything from the Hawks as far as OC, etc...remember that Seattle is getting a new HC next season and that HC and Zorn may not get along. Also, this wouldn't be the first non OC to get a coaching job. I thonk he may do well.

Saying all this it's by pure dumb luck.

The DD need to reire.

Posted by: jandlml | February 9, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I personally like this hire. Like many of you, I do not like the process of the hiring, but it is a good move. The man took his time, interviewed some folks, and got who he wanted. Hiring Greg would have been good for consistancy, but to hire someone for that reason alone ain't too good. I just don't think Greg is HC material. Not a fan of Fassel either, but he did go to a Super Bowl and make the playoffs 3 times, more than Greg did. Joe leaving early threw a fly in the ointment, as we all know Danny wanted Cower next year, but Joe forced his hand 1 year early. and I'm not a Synder fan, but at least he tries, maybe too hard, but he tries. Let's give Zorn a chance, he might be good. At least the offense will be better, but the roster is in for some major upheaval.

Posted by: hallen1007 | February 9, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I need spell check!

Posted by: jandlml | February 9, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Will our offense be known as the Washington Zornstars? Or will that be the new name for the cheerleaders?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 9, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I guess I went a little far with that one, sorry.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 9, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cdubb | February 9, 2008 10:13 PM

cdubb,

Common sense would suggest Snyder will have to be patient with Zorn.

WHAT!

Common sense? Snyder has not exhibited common sense in months. Did anything in his coaching search remind you of common sense?

If/when this team hits the skids, he'll fire this clown right in the locker room ala Norv.

This man has less patience than he has sense.

Step back and look at the travesty this search turned out to be. Arguably, the most dysfunctional and embarrassing HC search in NFL history.

Posted by: gdennie | February 9, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

The longer I think about it the more I think this guy may work. He is from a good coaching tree and appears to be the same kind of guy as Joe Gibbs (offensive guy, very smart, great people guy, etc). If it does work Snyder Forest Gumped his way into this.

Posted by: ssh1549 | February 10, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

JUST WAIT AND SEE
I WILL TAKE A UNDER RATED OVER ACHIEVER ANY DAY
All good Coaches need to start some where!
1. All Redskins fans who are complaining about this move, you will eat your words next year and said you were for Zorn from the beginning.
2. Have you seen one coach that came from Holmgren's staff that failed? Andy Reid was his QB coach when he came to Philly.
3. In Seattle's first years as a team Seattle gave away the 1 draft pick Tony Dorsett to pick up Zorn and Sherman Smith. Zorn took us to a game before the Super Bowl in only a few years of us becoming a franchise in 1976. Beating teams in Miami with Dan Marino throwing over 40 touchdowns that year and beating John Elway. Only to lose to the Raiders who they beat twice that year.
4. Jim Zorn didn't have a Redskins team who had been around for years, with everything in place when he arrived in Seattle; He put the Seahawks on his back with blood, sweat and tears. He put Steve Largent in the Hall of Fame, and Largent know this, because he was at the conference today out of respect. I saw Jim's Heart he put in the game, I know went and watched him play. If you guys could have seen him play. If he would have been on a better team, he would have a ring now. This guy made losing a game fun to watch. I have more respect for a guy that took a bunch of under achievers to the playoffs then a team who were suppose to win the Super bowl, because the team was built to win.
5. If you Skins fans think this is a bad bet, well he help out smart your team, under a hall of fame coach to beat you once to go the SB and this year as well. You don't know how luck y you are yet.
6. Mike Holmgren"s driver in green bay with no experience at all Gruden begs to coach for free under Holmgren Jon Gruden SB Enough said, Ray Rhodes, Mike Mariucci SB, Dick Jauron, Jim Zorn, the list goes on and on. Come on Skin fans do some homework. I guess that's why you guys are fans and not owners. WOW! But you will be all Geniuses' next year LOL
Mike in Spokane Washington, new skins fan, when not rooting for the HAWKS.
And yes your welcome for Spokane producing Mark Rypien Go WSU Cougars