A Follow-Up on Thomas as a Pulling Guard

Wanted to follow up on a post from earlier in the week about right guard Randy Thomas being used to pull much less this season than in years past. I caught up with offensive coordinator Sherman Smith and got more info on the change.

Some of it has to do with some differences in the overall run game this season, and what is emphasized in any particular week.

"We don't have as many pulling plays," Smith said. "We have some in there, and I don't know exactly how much he did last year, but I'm sure not as much as in the past. No, he hasn't been pulling as much.

"Whoever we're playing against, we don't think those pulling plays are the best for us, so why put them in when you may have other plays that are better? That's the only reason."

For the most part, the run game has been the identity of the offense, and Smith is pleased with its production and effectiveness. But I have a feeling we might see Thomas moving laterally quite a bit this week.

The game plan that week was to attack the edges, make Rogers run side-to-side, tire him out with pulling plays and outside stretch plays. I think the Redskins are likely to do that again Sunday night, and containing Ngata is undoubtedly one of the keys to this game. I think he's the best in the game and it's his ability to still be a playmaker and run hard in the fourth quarter that sets him apart. He's not just a blobby run-stuffer.

Getting Thomas to the outside, and getting multiple blockers on the edge will be something to keep an eye on. Running up the gut on this Baltimore defense, with Ray Lewis and Bart Scott stacked behind Ngata aint the way to go.

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 5, 2008; 9:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Scott on Portis and the Ravens' D
Next: The Practice Report

Comments

1st ???

Posted by: Daggarforracialjustice | December 5, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Pull first, ask questions later.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 5, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I'm all for racial justice. Great story.

Posted by: Daggarforracialjustice | December 5, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

"Nope, I was actually raised in a normal family where you grieve for your loss then move on"

Never would have guessed that. I thought it must be your family ritual to disrespect the dead. Maybe it's just a personal choice, though.

As for Santa, it's possible he actually isn't that fast even with getting up and down the chimneys. Apparently his sleigh can travel west fast enough to actually go back in time.

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: psps23 | December 5, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

cuz you're wrong. whatever it is you're doin on offense aint working.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 5, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

In this case the my old saying "if you get caught don't pull" does not apply.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 5, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

i heard on radio that santa won't even giving coal away. cuz of the economy et all...

Posted by: dealer1 | December 5, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I also remember that Shaun Rogers 'blew up' Rabach multiple times in that Cleveland game, so expect a lot of rollouts and bootleg passes as Ngata is indeed way better. Ed 'The Senior Reaper'Reed will expect the same and get a pick. I can't see the Skins getting this one. Oh well, free agency/draft talk anyone....?

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 5, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Thomas Pulls Straight

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 5, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Ed Reed is butt.

Ain't nobody worried about him. Send Devin Thomas full speed at him and break that clowns jaw.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 5, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Ed Reed is really the only defender I'm worried about. He'll go down as the greatest pass defending safety to ever play the game. Like the Deion Sanders of FS's.

Fortunately for us, we have the least turnover prone QB in the league.

Posted by: psps23 | December 5, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I had this crazy vision last night of the Skins in 2-3 years...... indulge me please....

JC and Cooley in their prime...

Portis and Moss, still only 30 years old...

Thomas and Kelly, finally developed into big possession receivers....

Fred Davis, a big red zone threat to complement Cooley...

The offensive line retooled and infused with youth...

Smoot, Rogers, Hall, Landry and Rogers leading the secondary, ALL under 30....

Rocky, Blades, SUGGS leading the linebacking corps...

Goltson, Monty, Lorenzo, and 2 or 3 stud D lineman from the drafts...

That couldn't be a super bowl team in 2 or 3 years?

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 5, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

i think it'd be fun to see zorn come out throwing in a no huddle.

it'd be a new wrinkle, and would serve to let betts/sellers be used in a check down role while keeping portis fresh on the sidelines for cincy next week.

3-1 over the final four is a realistic goal, and i'd like a healthy clinton for the last three (especially philly @ home) than a progessively banged up 26 over the last month.

any thoughts??

Posted by: rambo2000 | December 5, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Ryp, I think thats both plausible, and possible.

I think this draft/off season is EXTREMELY important. They need to draft 2-3 starters on the OL/DL, and they need to bring in a couple of free agents as well.

I watched the GB/Carolina game the other night on NFL network, and Peppers just threw guys around like blocking dummies. He was/is a man among boys.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 5, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I really hope this game is closer than people think it will be. Thats all I got to say

Posted by: alex35332 | December 5, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

RYPIEN11,

It could be, but they NEED to start rebuilding both lines through the draft.

It's almost incomprehensible to think that snyderatto, who are so commited to winning, cant see what kind of formula works in the nfl.

as for the last 4 games: i say 3-1 is realistic. a 10 win season would be a great first step, and let the postseason chips fall where they may.

Posted by: rambo2000 | December 5, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Ryp,

I love your optimism. That's what is great about football or any sport. There is always next year.

Posted by: Markin21132 | December 5, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I had a vision. It was that the Redskins start out hot. Then, while on pace for a record setting year, Santana pulls his hamstring and for the next 8 games is never heard from again.

This vision may or may not be the same thing that happens every year.

Posted by: Pleepleus | December 5, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

If the only plays called are ones that work, explain why Zorn calls that 'smoke' screen to Moss even after it gets blown up multiple times a game? Why does he call that draw on third and long? Explain the stretch play to the short side of the field with Jansen leading? Let's put Betts behind Sellers and Thomas and pound on other teams corners/d-ends and linebackers with tosses, traps, sweeps, and fullback lead again 3-4 backers. Let's try some crossing patterns using Moss and Cooley instead of 3 yard curls on third and long please. What about a fake punt or twoonce we get within Suisham's range to keep the ball away since he been in a slump longer than Schottenhimer was coach.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 5, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

By the way, I meant Horton instead of the second Rogers. My bad.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 5, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 5, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Suggs is a 3-4 linebacker...I say trade 1st and 3rd rounders for Derrick Brooks. Then, trade a future 1st rounder for Marvin Harrison. Now that's what I call veteran leadership.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 5, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

jc is too slow thinking to do no huddle. if he is the leader of the offense dont you thiink he would yell at the other players to get back to the line faster? most of the offense players move like there is 30 minutes left to play when there is only 15 minutes left to play.

Posted by: rls1041 | December 5, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

ga, that was said in jest, correct??

I mean, you're not that stupid, are you?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 5, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Ed Reed is butt.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 5, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

More enlightened commentary from our boy.

By the way, Beantown - it was good to hear Kelly/Thomas had a good practice per Cooley...but it was Justin Tryon that #12 beat on that nice catch...not saying a ton.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 5, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

JLaC is SOOOOO happy he gets to turn this into a Ravens blog for the week. "So the Skins are playing the Ravens this week. Let's talk about the Raven's D, their young QB, their rookie Head Coach, their cheerleaders, their owner and GM, their stadium, and how great they are as an organization..... p.s. Portis didn't practice today. Now back to more Raven's coverage!!"

Posted by: mmmhmmm | December 5, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Youre kidding about Brooks and Harrison right?

Lineback shminebacker. If you can play 3-4 backer you can play 4-3 backer. We have a good enough secondary to allow for a free roaming playmaker at LB.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 5, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

+++I saw Malcolm Kelly go up high and make a spectacular catch over Justin Tryon, and I noticed Devin Thomas running hard and make a couple of nice catches, but I thought I might’ve just been overinflating their performances in my head. Then I asked Chris Cooley what stood out for him at practice, and he said, “The rookie receivers both had really good practices today,”.+++Redskins Blog

Posted by: BeantownGreg+++

Two things would make this GREAT news.

1. If it was written by someone other than a team Flack

2. If it was written during training camp instead of 3/4s through the season.

Yes, I'm delighted the rookies are making catches in practice, but THE telling event of this year is the slow to non-existent development of the intended jewels of last year's draft.

Posted by: TheCork | December 5, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

ga, that was said in jest, correct??

I mean, you're not that stupid, are you?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 5, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

LOL, I'm just trying to get myself in the mindset of that genius Cerrato.

Posted by: rls1041 | December 5, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Don't you remember when Gibbs put JC in 2 min offenses during games last year throughout the game? He did very well.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 5, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

...What about a fake punt or twoonce we get within Suisham's range to keep the ball away since he been in a slump longer than Schottenhimer was coach.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 5, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Agreed. It's time to mix it up a little. Zorn strikes me as the kind of guy that will - I guess following Gibbs anybody looks like a riverboat gambler - and it's time to loosen things up. The only big play we had last week was the one time we did so. I'd like to see at least 2-3 deep balls to Moss, 1-2 reverses (maybe the ARE pass too), and a fake punt. Maybe even throw in the fumblerooski to keep them honest.

And for God's sake, if you do none of that, at least give Sellers 5-6 touches/game!! What a waste...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 5, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Hey Cork, we get it...

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 5, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

+++I replayed some of the Cleveland game, the last time the Redskins had a chance to really run the ball against a 3-4 team with a huge nose tackle in the mold of Baltimore's Haloti Ngata. Now, I don't think Cleveland's Shaun Rogers is nearly as versatile or athletic as Ngata, but it's the closest thing we've seen.++++---JASNO

The fact that Rabach has been playing three yards into the backfield on many running plays is an indication why a big nasty center is a top need during the offseason. Rabach is smart and tough, just not big enough to deal with the quality noseguards in the league.

Posted by: TheCork | December 5, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

+++Ed Reed is butt.

Posted by: TheTruth11+++

You're like the trainer whose fighter is getting the living crud beat out of him saying "we need to get in that guys face and trade with him."

Posted by: TheCork | December 5, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

cork, you nimbynurt, gagglespack, I posted it because of the quote from Cooley.

Half full...just one time, half full...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 5, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

In fairness, there isn't a center in this league that can handle a quality nose-guard one-on-one. There's a reason those guys are in the 3-4 and meant to draw a double-team. It amazes me how often they leave Rabach out to dry out there (although admittedly, he hasn't helped himself much, either).

But I will agree that an upgrade is needed.

Posted by: psps23 | December 5, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I would think the weakest part of the Ravens D are they CB's. With McCallister out, I would hope they test the CB's more often. More 2TE sets (keeping Yoder in) or have Sellers and Portis stay in to block on passing plays as well. Hopefully that would give JC time to throw. And it seems Rabach needs help every week with some NG. I mean, isn't he supposed to be one of the better centers in the league?

Posted by: ga8085 | December 5, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

+++Hey Cork, we get it...

Posted by: TheTruth11 +++

Some do of course, but after your recent evaluation of Ed Reed's skill sets and advice to Devin Thomas, what exactly is supposed to convince me, or anyone on the boards you actually "get" anything?

Come on, it's part of the board, Truthy. Danny fans yack about how we have to wait for the terrific trios to develop and, oh by the way, the Post should fire JLC. Curmudgeons like me keep pounding on the fact that the last Redskins Superbowl appearance was in the early nineties, and the team is no closer to getting there today than it was last year.

Posted by: TheCork | December 5, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

+++cork, you nimbynurt, gagglespack, I posted it because of the quote from Cooley.

Half full...just one time, half full...

Posted by: BeantownGreg+++

Your wish is my command you nipcheesy mullipuff.

I believe you are half full of it. There, satisfied?

Lots of positives in next post. JUST for you...

Posted by: TheCork | December 5, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

thanks so much. you're an idiot.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 5, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

THIS JUST IN:

Redskins CB Shawn Springs has received a papercut on "catching hand" and has been ruled out for Sunday's game against the Baltimore Ravens. Sources say that he may be placed on IR or traded for Leigh Torrence.

Posted by: TDawg1 | December 5, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

THIS JUST IN:

Posted by: TDawg1 | December 5, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

That's old news. He was already ruled out before that because he nicked himself shaving. And he was doubtful even before then with a slight headache.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 5, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

TheCork, if you take the time to read the Redskins online blog you will see Matt Terl is not pro all things Skins. He pretty much tells it like it is. If they have bad practice or someone gets beat, he points it out.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 5, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

POSITIVES: As promised. a glass of half full

I am absolutely amazed at the physical recovery and play this year of Rogers and MacIntosh.

Carlos has learned, accordng to reports, that time spent in the film room is reflected on the field He doens't just depend on athleticism, but smarts. As a result he's now an elite corner.

Glad to se H.B. Blades is developing. Fletcher continues to amaze.

Chris Horton is the skins strong safety for years to come. He should be a top 2-3 finisher as defensive ROY.

Mike Sellars to the Pro Bowl. One of the two best blocking FBs in the NFC.

If there is a gutsier RB in football than Portis, I haven't seen him.

Campbell is a keeper. When he got blocking and the running game shined, so did he.

Demetric Evans has filled in admirably for Daniels.

Wo doesn't love Lo Alexander?

You have to keep telling yourself that Monty and Golston were fifth and sixth roudners to fully appreciate their accomplishments.

Redskins coach of the year? Blache. Not only for his quotes but for the fact he has kept opponents at 24 and under all season long, despite some bad injuries.

Team doesn't seem to make as many mistakes as last year.

Tackling has improved significantly.

Fincher is a good looking guy, considering he was born without a neck.

The yellow shoes are snappy.

Um, I may have forgotten something, but that's it for now.

So sit on it, Beans. That's more than Half Full....

We now return you to our regular programming, already in progress..

Posted by: TheCork | December 5, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Cork, your an idiot.

Posted by: craig2 | December 5, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

cork, I take back 1/2 the things I've ever said about you, both on this blog, and under my breath......

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 5, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

THIS JUST IN:

Posted by: TDawg1 | December 5, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Further breaking news: Leigh Torrence just quit football to become the Secretary of Awesomeness in the Obama cabinet. Said the President-elect "We considered a bunch of people but since Sonja Hennie's out and Tiger Woods is rehabbing a knee injury, Leigh was the only qualified person available"

Not since Bjorn Borg walked away at the height of his tennis mastery in 1980 has the sports world seen such a dominant athlete retire in his prime.

Leigh avoided ravenous hordes of reporters by walking on water.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 5, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

good stuff Cork.

"F--k the naysayers 'cause they don't mean a thing...'cause this is what style we bring..."

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 5, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

LMAO..i just read this article on the baltimoresun about some dude who grew up in bmore and he hated the redskins bcuz they were winning sb's and all that stuff. just proves a point on how lame ravens fans really are. To all ravens fans: WE REALLY COULD GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THE RAVENS, THERE IS NO RIVALRY NO HATRED, we could care less about your team. get a life

Posted by: FAB88 | December 5, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Deadskin fans still mourning Sean taylor. Man you girls need to get a life. Taylor was a moron for putting himself and his family in danger by returning to his house that had been burglarized before. And then being stupid and macho he went to check things out with a machete. Bright move. He should have protected his family and called the cops. Or at the very least had a shotgun for protection beucase this moron could hit anything with a handgun!

And neither can you.

Posted by: omarthetentmaker | December 5, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

THIS JUST IN:

On top of Spring's hang nail, he may not be back until week 7 of 2009.

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | December 5, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

FAB,
I love it!

Posted by: alex35332 | December 5, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Please nobody respond to the moron above. Please ignore him.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 5, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Jeeze people, obviously Ed Reed is very good.

Doesn't mean I have to like him. He's a crybaby who got dealt with by Hines and they respond by "putting out a hit" on Hines and the rookie RB. No respect for that piece of crap.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 5, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I'll ignore him. His post obviously shows his lack of knowledge and his class. No need to argue with a person like that.

To quote my man Jay-Z, "A wise man told me don't argue with fools, cause people from a distance can't tell who is who..."

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 5, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I wonder how many post we will get after the Skins beat the Ravens.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 5, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I keep saying that Kelly is going to be beast we just have to give the kid time.

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 5, 2008 8:30 AM

Agreed, that's why I gave him a wristwatch. I gave one to Fred Davis too, but for a different reason.

Posted by: dcsween | December 5, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

JM22I am gonna guess 14

Posted by: alex35332 | December 5, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Fred Davis too, but for a different reason

lol

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 5, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

JM22I am gonna guess 14

Posted by: alex35332

Oh boy that means if we lose he post 30. lol

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 5, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

can you imagine what it'll be like if the skins lose to the ravens this weekend? jasno is going to unleash his love for the ravens onto this blog.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 5, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

who was the qb that the Ravens spent 2 first round picks on a couple years back?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 5, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

he'll harp on the differences in the FO's for at least rest of the season.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 5, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

I think it was:

Kyle Boller

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 5, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

greg, crap! i know that answer...i was just thinking about that last night...ummmmmmmmmmmm what was his naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame....testing my memory now.........not gonna cheat and intergoogle....not gonna do it........ohhhhhhhhh gaaaaaaaaaaaawd i'm getting oolllllllllllllllddd....F it i'm googling it...i did it!!!!!!! without googling...

Kyle Boller!!!!!!!!! aka heath shuler!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 5, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

any thoughts??

Posted by: rambo2000 | December 5, 2008 9:37 AM

Up here, this is a rhetorical question.

True story: In the draft when Ngata was picked (first rounder), conventional wisdom was that he would be going to Cleveland. As a consequence, everyone assumed the guy up before picked before him (who would be Baltimore's choice) would be Kamerion Wimberly. RI's own dcsween was flying out of BWI on the morning of the draft ... and sat next to Kamerion Wimberly ... on his way from Baltimore to Cleveland. [Sunglasses and iPod the entire flight ... I respected his decisions.] With this special knowledge about how the draft would unfold later that day, I did nothing with the information. [Actually, I think there might have been a trade to switch places btwn Ravens and Browns ... it was the Ravens's calling shots ... I know they ended up wanting Ngata and I think they may have sent a late pick to make sure it happened that way.]

Posted by: dcsween | December 5, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

that dude just wasted their championship D for 3 years i think. nice job balmer FO!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 5, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

sween, HOW the F did you know that's who it was???????

Posted by: dealer1 | December 5, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

thanks guys, yeah, Kyle Boller. How'd that work out for them?

Genius my eye....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 5, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

True enough Rypien...Hova is an eloquent (and rich) man.

Good to hear that 40-something former QB's are listenin to Jay Z

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 5, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Unless there is a major change in the offense this week, I don't see the Redskins scoring more than 10 points.

If they can break the trend and get some very short fields, or ST/D scores, then they could win, but as it is the Ravens will pull out the Steelers playbook and pound our offense.

This is a bad matchup, with worse timing, in their place.

Of course, I absolutely hope I'm wrong, and the Redskins beat the tar out of those crab cake eating jerk-offs.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 5, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

i found this on the intergoogle dated october 23, 2008. man...jc and flacco have gone in opposite directions.

In a recent interview with an Atlanta radio station, linebacker Terrell Suggs said twice that Troy Smith should be the Ravens' starting quarterback over Joe Flacco. "Right now, I think [Flacco is] all right," Suggs told 2 Live Stews, a nationally syndicated radio show that is not aired in Baltimore. "But like I said, in the end, Troy should be the starter [because he's] the better man for the job." Smith, the 2006 Heisman Trophy winner at Ohio State, was considered the front-runner for the starting job in the preseason before he missed several weeks of practice with a tonsil infection. He was the Ravens' No. 2 quarterback for the first time Sunday. Flacco, the Ravens' first-round pick this year, has completed 64.1 percent of his passes, throwing for two touchdowns and seven interceptions. Coach John Harbaugh recently named Flacco the starting quarterback for the rest of the season. Baltimore Sun

Posted by: dealer1 | December 5, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Skins with 2 ints and a FF in the game...

Posted by: alex35332 | December 5, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Shaun, I think the D will give both teams a couple of short field opps...I think that the over is a good play...you know, if you're into that kind of thing.

Skins 24 Ravens 19

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 5, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

skins 55 ravens 23

Posted by: dealer1 | December 5, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Skins are 0-4 in prime time and I hear the ravens have been 0-7 in prime time...

Posted by: alex35332 | December 5, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

70-3 washington

Posted by: alex35332 | December 5, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Then something's gotta give...or not, since games can end in a tie.
beep beep

Posted by: CindyBoren | December 5, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

sween, HOW the F did you know that's who it was???????

Posted by: dealer1 | December 5, 2008 11:24 AM

Have you ever sat next to a college football in his prime? Dude was huge. He was wearing an FSU T-shirt. It was the draft when the Skins drafted Rocky Mac, and he (Rocky) was something like the 9th OLB drafted (and Rocky went at the top of the 2nd round). There was a run on OLBs that year and the Skins were in need of one (to replace LaVar ... esp. b/c that Holdman thing wasn't working out). As a geek, I knew what all the OLB prospects looked like from the internet. In the internet pictures, Wimberly had Bigby/Horton like hair, but on the plane, he was clean shaven.

[btw, my choice for the Skins OLB had been Thomas Howard out of UTEP rather than Rocky, but Rocky has worked out pretty well ... I worried (and continue to worry) about Rocky's knees. Howard ended up on the Raiders and is 100% solid ... except for the fact he ended up on the Raiders.]

Posted by: dcsween | December 5, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I really want to see more of Chris Wilson at end. He seems to create more pressure than Andre Carter or Jason Taylor.

Taylor looked a LOT better playing his natural LE spot vs the RE spot we've had him at. Honestly Andre Carter is better suited to play RE than JT.

Demetric Evans has done great at RE this year.

I think Montgomery and Golston will be a great interior tandem in the future, and Alexander is a great depth player.

I was really impressed with Fincher in preseason and would be curious to see what he could do against another team's starters

It looked like they lined JT up at LB once or twice last week. I must say, I like that idea. I actually mentioned that very idea before last sunday's game.

Our Offensive interior line is porous. everybody is calling out Jansen, but at least he can do half of his job (run block). The Center/guard area is getting pushed around in the run game AND the pass game.

Antwaan Randle El is still second rate. I would like the see ARE in the slot for the remainder of the year (and cut in the offseason)and have Devin Thomas start as the #2 reciever. He can't catch for beans, but he is at least a legitimate deep threat. Anything to get thrash off the field.

More Sellers! Seriously, the guy plays with heart...and after watching a 280lb FB jump over two people last week I'll admit, I want to see more!

Posted by: ecale25 | December 5, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse