RBs Chad Simpson, Keiland Williams moving up

When the Redskins filtered into their locker room Wednesday to go back to work - preparing for Sunday's game at St. Louis - there was one new face and another that might end up in new positions.

The former, new running back Chad Simpson, was working out Monday when his agent called and told him the Redskins had some interest. The latter, rookie running back Keiland Williams, hasn't been told he has moved up the depth chart - but that much seems obvious given that veteran Larry Johnson was cut Tuesday.

"My coaches and I haven't really talked about anything," Williams said. "I'll go into this week and prepare like I did the first couple weeks."

There will be, though, some sorting out to do when the Redskins begin practice. Most of Simpson's experience during his first two years in the NFL - both with Indianapolis - came on special teams. Returning kickoffs, he said, is "like breathing to me right now." Washington has been more than competent thus far on kick returns; Devin Thomas is averaging 28.4 yards per return, good for sixth in the league.

But Simpson also played on kickoff coverage and punt return teams with Indianapolis, he said. So it's quite likely the Redskins have an injured special teams player whose identity we don't know yet. Fullback Mike Sellers, a special teams mainstay, was walking around the locker room with a brace on his left knee Wednesday morning - but he has been managing a knee injury since the preseason. We'll keep an eye on who's out of practice later this afternoon.

As for Simpson, he said he doesn't know his role yet, either.

"Anywhere they need me to be, anything they ask me to do, I'm going to do it," he said.

Simpson was cut in the offseason by Indianapolis, then spent all of training camp with Buffalo before being cut on the last day.

"That was very difficult," he said. 'You don't like getting cut. This is going into my third year, especially not knowing if a lockout's going to happen. I mean to even be thought of the year after the lockout, you don't know. It's definitely a blessing being here today."

Williams could say the same thing. An undrafted free agent out of LSU, he not only made the team ahead of veteran Willie Parker, but has since beaten out Johnson. By the end of Sunday's overtime loss to Houston, Williams was clearly the primary backup to Clinton Portis.

"Definitely, initially, [it was] somewhat nerve-wracking, coming into a situation like this," Williams said. "There's three proven guys in the league. And for me to just be able to make the team definitely says a lot, but that's just step one. I definitely want to become a factor on this team."

What sort of factor will be determined in coming days and weeks. As Williams talked to a group of reporters in the locker room, Sellers yelled out to him. "Come on, Keiland! We got a special teams meeting!"

By Barry Svrluga  | September 22, 2010; 12:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins set world record for virtual exercise session
Next: Donovan McNabb (finally) not part of Philly QB furor

Comments

Dear Mistamoe

I am a fairly buxom and liberated young lady who just loves the Redskins. My trouble is that I wore my AH92 jersey to the game on Sunday. Boy did I feel lonely and stupid, especially when I realized that I was the only one in the whole damn stadium wearing an AH92 jersey. Hell, even the Dude himself failed to dress or show himself on the sidelines – be that in team colors, in sweats, or even in street clothes. I won’t be making that mistake again.

So I went out yesterday morning and got me a LJ27 jersey. Yeah, I figured, what the hell girl – he ain’t shown much yet, but there’s always next week. And I do believe in the power of the Underdog. Besides, DM5 has virtually guaranteed us the run game will come around – and soon too – despite the fact that CP26 hasn’t been much of a factor for several seasons already. And wouldn’t you know, before the day was done, they went out and released “my” dude.

This morning, I tried to take the jersey back to the local Redskins team apparel shop -- but they just wouldn’t have it. “It’s too bad, Lady,” the pimply faced sales clerk said , “ but if you’ll read the sign you’ll know that we take no checks and give no refunds.”

I really can’t afford another jersey. So what’s a young lady in my position to do?

Sincerely

Stumped

Posted by: Vic1 | September 22, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry Clinton...I'll never turn the channel or station when you are on...never!

And if there where 53 naked women standing in front of me...I am pretty sure I will take a few peeks at their boobies...

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 12:40 PM

IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ
This is the RI post-screening committee.
You have until 8:00 AM tomorrow morning to submit a minimum two page apology and statement of contrition, fully explaining the hurtful nature of your post and why you will never utter such destructive comments again in public. Thank you.

Posted by: kenboy1 | September 21, 2010 10:21 PM

I'm not really sure what was wrong with my comments...it's the truth...I like boobies...and will look at boobies wheneven given the chance...oh well...8am has come and gone...

Posted by: PlayAction | September 22, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I like boobies...

Co-sign.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 22, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Ryan Torain new's nickname: Skip.

Posted by: rich20ssu | September 22, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

PA, there WILL be a 2011 draft. It's just a matter if there will be games to be played after that...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 22, 2010 12:06 PM

Thanks Brown...was hoping we would get all our picks back if there was no 2011 draft haha

Posted by: PlayAction | September 22, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Screw all of this Larry Johnson and VJax talk, I wanna talk about this apparent signing of this new kicker, a Mr. Hamm Samvitch, I think he's a foriegner, can anyone else confirm........

Posted by: monk811 | September 22, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

1. Get packing tape

2. Get 4 steak knives

3. Tape steak knives to floor

4. Stand above taped steak knives (Either facing to or away from knives would be suitable)

5. With brute force, fall on taped steak knives

Posted by: RedDMV | September 22, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 22, 2010 12:24 PM

Haven't heard anything new monk...but this Simpson kid can boot the ball...lights out...

Posted by: PlayAction | September 22, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I truly believe we are that unnamed team seeking Jackson. Minny is too slow to pull the trigger...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 22, 2010 11:37 AM

Agree to agree. LJ cut for KR/special teamer/3rd RB...sets up next move. Trading DT and AH for VJac. Booked!

Posted by: 4-12 | September 22, 2010 11:53 AM

And that's how you begin a conspiracy...

I doubt AH will go there.....DT11 plus next years 4th/5th (Whatever is left)

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 22, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I am guessing that part of the reason they are not moving Torain off PS is because of that injury he suffered in the last preseason game.

Posted by: manlius1 | September 22, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Dik, I agree it was our best wr game in a while. I just don't wanna start thinking that's the norm yet.
Freak, I'm gonna give that whole sentence thing a try.
Bwood, in reality that would be a sound trade. Unfortunetly I think shanny may have decreased his trade value with his lack of playing time. Also sadly the chargers don't appear to be hurting at wr

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 22, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 22, 2010 12:29 PM

Haha...you're quite the problem solver Red!

Posted by: PlayAction | September 22, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

"We'll let you know what, if anything, Coach Mike Shanahan reveals about how the personnel moves affect different lineups and units later today."

I don't think he is going to (or should) reveal any of that to you guys.

Good luck trying to get that out of him.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | September 22, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

As per this article:...............Fullback Mike Sellers, a special teams mainstay, was walking around the locker room with a brace on his left knee Wednesday morning - but he has been managing a knee injury since the preseason. We'll keep an eye on who's out of practice later this afternoon.
===========================================This is the BS that Shanahan was talking about, why is JR giving away information to the upcoming opponent? JR...we as redskin fans are going with the Coach and don't want to hear who is injured this early in the week. Let the opponent prepare for EVERYONE.

Posted by: kingpenn1 | September 22, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

. Get packing tape

2. Get 4 steak knives

3. Tape steak knives to floor

5. With brute force, fall on taped steak knives

Posted by: RedDMV | September 22, 2010 12:29 PM

Awesome, unlike Vic's posts and diary comments, someone must have told Vic at a young age, that he was a good writer...

I think the only other logical option is to step in front of a metro train...but then you really F up traffic, young lady...

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 22, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

mh, his post aren't meant to be funny. They're suppose to be clever and informative.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 22, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Now all the Keiland fans will get a chance to see him be mediocre.

Posted by: wisdom80 | September 22, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"Anywhere they need me to be, anything they ask me to do, I'm going to do it," Simpson said.

Are you listening Albert?

Posted by: skinsfever | September 22, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I believe Anthony Armstrong got hurt during the game (Tweaked his hamstring or something), trainers were stretching his leg and he didn't return to the game. Maybe they are gonna use Devin more in offense since Armstrong might not go and need another body for ST.

Posted by: isonic1 | September 22, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Now all the Keiland fans will get a chance to see him be mediocre.

Posted by: wisdom80 | September 22, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Even if he is mediocre, it seems Shanahan can make do with mediocre running backs. Whether they are undrafted free agents or aging veterans, with the right blockers, Shanahan will make it work.

The Problem- We don't have the right blockers. Trent Williams is one of the few execptions. He is quick and agile, but Rabach, Dockery, and Hicks aren't.

What happened to Mike Sellers? He used to be a beast in run-blocking. A couple of years ago, when Portis gained 1500 yards, he could outrun safeties and block linebackers with authority. Is Sellers part of the problem?

Posted by: jboogie1 | September 22, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Chad Simpson is the love child of a woman that was dating both Chad Johnson and O.J Simpson. She did not know who the real father was so she named him after both. I heard he will be changing his name to Chad O.J.Cinco.

Posted by: ged0386 | September 22, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Time to get rid of the over the hill gang. Stop wasting draft picks . Even undrafted Arian Foster is doing well. Skins need to get younger and hungrier not Fatter like Albert.

Posted by: jercha | September 22, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Please stick a fork in CP as he is done. Solid career but too much neglect of the career has gone on in the past few years and once you lose the edge it is hard to get back - particularly at that age and that position. If you are going to use him at least get the ball to him in space on the outside. His between tackle days are over.

Posted by: charlie-s | September 22, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse