Reche Caldwell in the building

He came in for visit today and has been hanging around the building making a lot of phone calls. Several teams wanted him and he's here, so that's got to be a good sign for Skins fans. He can play and they've been desperate for a WR for a long time.

Would not be surprised at all if he's signed. They could drop another player or use the spot vacated if/when Jansen is on IR.

(UPDATED):
Three other dudes I know far less about also came in today:

Justin Geisinger OL Vanderbilt
Kelly Griffeth TE Fort Hays State
Fred Matua OL Southern California

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 11, 2007; 1:58 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What To Do Vs. McNabb?
Next: Reche Caldwell Says A Deal With The Skins "looks really good."

Comments

Thongs!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. Maybe Snyder's trying to lure The Ol' Ball Coach back...

Posted by: MV Dame | September 11, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

FFFFFFFIIIIIIRRRRRSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: hell yea!!!!!! | September 11, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I think Reche's eyes (super power: can bend the time/space continuum) would give us just the edge we need against the Iggles on Monday night.

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 11, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Get him suited up and out there practicing ASAP!

Posted by: bigfish | September 11, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Cut Blloyd, sign Caldwell...

Posted by: MVA | September 11, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Bring on crazy eyes caldwell!

Posted by: nah | September 11, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Second!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Ouch | September 11, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the Brandon Lloyd experiment is over. Bury him on the bench. At least with Caldwell they can use him in the slot when they use 3WR's.

Posted by: DMAN | September 11, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

BLoyd is going to be Grilliams' dog house boy for this year since it's not Shawn Springs.

Posted by: bigfish | September 11, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Just run the ball.

ATTACK YOU IDIOT!

Posted by: Dorf | September 11, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Good deal. Sign him and make Lloyd a $5 million 4th receiver - 5th if you - like me - prefer to see Thrash getting pt.

Posted by: skinswest | September 11, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Famous people who share Reche's most endearing quality:

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 11, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Good move if it gets done. Caldwell is proven to at least be a decent #3 who can provide 40-50 catches and 700 yards. Lloyd hasn't even proven that. I don't see Caldwell contributing right away BUT with the early bye week he should be ready to go in Week 4 vs. the Lions. Until then, its audition time for Lloyd....Step up or hit the bench permanently....

Posted by: Oz | September 11, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I used to love Springs but that quote "Man, look at my salary this year. I ain't sweating sh*t." Maybe that is why your a*s is on the bench.

I can not believe this never ending search for a few competent WR's.

Posted by: cdubb | September 11, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reche Caldwell | September 11, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

(Thanks for that one, Redcoat. Already miss ya.)

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 11, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I am taking a break from the blog. I may or may not be back. I need to think about if I still like you all. In reality, probably not. You all have let me down.

Posted by: Nate in the XDP | September 11, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Famous people who share Reche's most endearing quality:

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 11, 2007 02:11 PM

Here's another.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Say it ain't so, fake Nate!

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 11, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Nate, i hate liars

Posted by: Dorf | September 11, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

FRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am, I am, I am!!!

Posted by: Frist | September 11, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Okay, that's enough jokes from me. I'm feeling guilty/juvenile. Plus Reche is probably a great dude.

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 11, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reche Caldwell | September 11, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

What XDP Nate said. I'm breaking up with you guys.

Posted by: 12-4 | September 11, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MV Dame | September 11, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Please, God. Cut Brandon Lloyd.

Posted by: Coy Gibbs | September 11, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Caldwell is no savior, if signed. He will be dropping them like Lloyd. No one remembers that bingus play last year when he was uncovered and then dropped the pass?

With those eyes of his, he should be playing in Denver.

Posted by: TM | September 11, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I should be arrested for theft! $12mill signing bonus no TD!!!

Posted by: Brandon LLoyd | September 11, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Lloyd stays - they cannot afford to cut him. (There is no cap room to absorb an accelerated bonus hit.)

Posted by: TM | September 11, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Hey TM - You remember those plays on Sunday when Santana Moss was open and dropped those passes? Give me a chance.

Posted by: Reche Caldwell | September 11, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I dropped some passes too last year. I also led the league in TD receptions. Lay off my boy Reche.

Posted by: T.O. | September 11, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey Reche - remember Gainesville?

Just catch the damn ball.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: It still makes me giggle. | September 11, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

(UPDATED):
Three other dudes I know far less about also came in today:

Justin Geisinger OL Vanderbilt
Kelly Griffeth TE Fort Hays State
Fred Matua OL Southern California

By Jason La Canfora | September 11, 2007; 1:58 PM ET

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Reche Caldwell would be a relief. And, if the Skins want him, they WILL get him. He will not be allowed to leave the building.

dcsween's Spring theory: Smoot had a GREAT preseason. Springs' preseason was more limited time-wise. No one expected Smoot would have had such an off day. Williams' has lots of "packages" of guys (including that new odd one where Daniels lines up at NT and drops back into coverage), and maybe the set of packages planned for the Dolphins (R. Brown, C. Chambers, J. Chatman, M. Booker) were designed for the best way to cover those guys. If Springs looked slower than expected, maybe they just wanted the FASTEST two CBs out there for the majority of time. Also, any set has 11 guys so maybe not having Springs in there meant they could use an additional down lineman or something. Not much to see here.

[Also, the Friend article was either Archuleta, Wright, or Rumph. Before attributing that to Springs, someone should relink to the article. The critique of the DB coaches, Gray and Jackson, demonstrated that it was someone new to the team.]

Posted by: dcsween | September 11, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Sign Mantua and cut Wade! Helps with the salary cap and puts some USC toughness on the line, instead of those wimpy big-10 types.

Posted by: El Fan Tom | September 11, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

People should really read about the salary cap.

You don't help your salary cap by cutting people with big signing bonus' prematurely....

Sometimes people make me sad.

Calmer than you are.

Posted by: Skinz | September 11, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Cant cut Lloyd, we should try and traid him or make him play tackel dummy durring practice and help our D.

Posted by: 35332 | September 11, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

You can't trade me. Who would want me?

Posted by: Lloyd, Brandon | September 11, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

trade him for what? his own cd of "biggie lloyds" greatest hits?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

Why wouldn't they bring in Kenyatta (sp?) Walker? I would think that he's a better pick up than those other OT's, right?

Posted by: Biz | September 11, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

trading someone still gives you a cap hit. This guy needs that plasma that Danny bought for L. Coles.

Posted by: Skinz | September 11, 2007 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Why the hatred for Wade? Dude can play some tackle. Can't play guard but he can ball at RT. With Heyer as a backup we should still be OK.

dcsween said "package"

Posted by: etrod | September 11, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Why bring in another Tackle at all?

Posted by: What's wrong with Wade. Seems like a no brainer to me. | September 11, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Bring back Chris Doering and Jabar Gaffney.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | September 11, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Kenyatta Walker is going to sign with someone else, probably today.

Wade is: 1) injury prone, 2) not the starting guard as was assumed he would be, 3) paid too much to be a backup. And calling out the coaches yesterday was a bad move.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

actually i already got $12mill bonus... if you cut me in the offseason i count $8 mill on your cap... I dare you to cut me.... I suck!!! I Suck really bad!!!

Posted by: Brandon LLoyd | September 11, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: the receiver | September 11, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

test

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Wade isn't paid too much if he's a starter for the remaining 15 games. In fact, he's a steal at his salary, especially if he performs as well as he did last year.

Posted by: M.E.G. | September 11, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

M.E.G.? Is that you, our queen?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 11, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

The man with the ski mask and handgun is Brandon Lloyd entering Redskins Park to collect his paycheck. The man scared of the gun with eyes poppin out of his head is Caldwell.

Posted by: nex2no1 | September 11, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

What is the big deal about caldwell... He's nothing special... I would much rather have Keenan McCardell.. too bad ESPY went down in preseason! Why are we not using Thrash... He should be a quality 3rd receiver. I'm tired of Gibbs praising the SpecialTeams so much as if he's scared to play them on offense or defense and ruin them on ST... That is a joke. Play Thrash at #3 already!

Posted by: E in VB | September 11, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Skinz: Ah, very cool. Lebowski references are always appreciated. Now go finish your coffee.

Posted by: worstSeat | September 11, 2007 7:17 PM | Report abuse

McCardell is old.

Caldwell is a BIG improvement over the current thief in our WR corps who is stealing Danny's money.

Posted by: Thaiphoon | September 12, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse