Redraft: Where Does Horton Belong?

You're all familiar with The League, our new feature this fall that dissects, um, the league -- you know, that NFL thing.

One of the components is a weekly item called Redraft, in which Emilio Garcia-Ruiz reworks the April draft. Yes, he's my boss, but his Redraft this week actually has a Redskins component to it and you might just want to weigh in. Plus, I could use the brownie points.

By Cindy Boren  |  October 2, 2008; 2:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Springs, Washington, Heyer Not Practicing
Next: Taylor Unlikely to Play Sunday

Comments

FIRST on the depth chart

Posted by: RedDMV | October 2, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

damn Red, beat me to it.

Depends what you mean - are you saying we know he'd have a Rookie of the Month start to his career or not? He still wouldn't have gone above the 4th rd IMHO because his measureables weren't great. And he's got a long way to becoming an elite safety, as you all know, one good month does not a Hall of Famer make. But man i like what i see. You see where Jaws broke down his INT on Romo? It was a thing of beauty.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 2, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Notorious, agreed.

Regardless of the fantasy stuff above, ie redrafting, it was a good pick by Vinny.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 2, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Cyncity,

I rarely have cause to question your comedic instincts but I clicked on "brownies" sure i'd see Fudge'ems.

Posted by: Gweez | October 2, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Great pick indeed Beantown. Great musical taste too:

I have way too much free time.

HTTR

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 2, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

All I can picture is little Danny Torrence's finger yelling "RED-RAFT! RED-RAFT!"

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 2, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

No we can't say Horton is a guy who'll be in the hall, but after that game against the Saints, I was hollerin' for this dude to start.

People can try to play that "right-place-at-the-right-time" card, but the truth is this dude makes the plays when put in position. I haven't seen an ill-advised pass hit him dead in the bread basket and drop it. Then look at his hands as to say "damn you phalanges", or wrap his arms around his head.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 2, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

funny stuff, dlhaze. i just watched that movie a couple of days ago.

Nicholson's facial expression at the end is priceless. It scared the crap out of my lady-friend, but I found it to be funny as hell.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 2, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Nate, I will have a hard time rooting for Seattle, but I guess I'll have to. At least they already lost one at home. F both teams. And F the "12th man".....j-holes.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 2, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

funny stuff, dlhaze. i just watched that movie a couple of days ago.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 2, 2008 2:28 PM |

Glad someone caught that......

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 2, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Peter has us getting beat by 12.

Posted by: Gweez | October 2, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

You're right. I shoulda gone with Fudge 'ems.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 2, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | October 2, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Best news is that on mike and mike, they also have iggles winning w/stink (#1 skins hater) picking iggles.

I will take the media making us underdogs every week.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 2, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, LMG and dlhaze and Alex, we'll see about Jints-Shehawks.

I only asked in passing, since the other day someone reminded there will be ten or more NFL games this Sunday which do not directly involve the Washington Redskins, and that piqued my interest.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 2, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Good grief, those brownies look amazing, Cindy. I wish there were a bakery nearby where I could grab some of those. Mmmmm.

Not asking for myself, but on behalf of a friend in the greater Boston area: can WashPo/RI points be exchanged for brownie points?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 2, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I, like Chris Horton, will catch anything. Even "middle america", mid-aged male jokes...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

F Mark Schlereth

His analysis "stinks".

Posted by: RedDMV | October 2, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Don't tell anyone, but I've worked out a way to pay my mortgage with PostPoints.
Meanwhile, Greg Blache sez stats are for suckers:

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 2, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

RED-RAFT! RED-RAAAAAFT!!!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 2, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, whatever you do, DO NOT try and pay your mortgage with Bonus Points.

3 more years, and I'll be a 'free' man again.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 2, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

For Yoder:

An Enduring Logo

In the early 1970's, Walter "Blackie" Wetzel, president of the National Congress of American Indians and chairman of the Blackfoot tribe, urged the Redskins to replace the "R" logo on their helmets with the head of an Indian chief. From photos he presented to Redskins officials of Indian chiefs in full headdress, a composite was developed that gave birth to a new logo on Redskins helmets in the 1972 season. It exists to this day.

I said, "I'd like to see an Indian on your helmets", Wetzel said in the Washington Post on January 26, 2002. "It made us all so proud to have an Indian on a big-time team.... It's only a small group of radicals who oppose those names. Indians are proud of Indians."

So I guess from there we'd need to contact some 'Skins PR folks from the early 70's to see if they ever named him?

_________

Oh & PK is a stoogie tool. Power shift?! Uh - Who won last year? Who's perennialllyy (sp?) the toughest division in football? NFCE.

PK, ya sukkard.

Rok Rok AUN!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 2, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for that link Cindy!

It is too bad GB refused to talk to the media until now. Great quotes from him.

"Like I said, I'm old school. I have no interest in a head job. All I want to do, I want to win Dan Snyder and the Washington Redskins a Super Bowl championship, that's my goal. Past that, a good glass of wine, a good Cuban cigar, and hell, life is beautiful."

My respect goes up for this guy every week I watch his defense and now his quotes. Mr. Black & White! And I could not agree more with him.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 2, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Too late, Beantown.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 2, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

We could be roomates....or something....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 2, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

cindy, there is something wrong with this blog's homepage. you cannot see the latest blog entry. it reverts back to the the the the the jc getting paid entry...

so how did i get here? well i clicked on the comments section and was able to find the latest blog posts from that page...

Posted by: dealer1 | October 2, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

and that explains the lack of comments...

Posted by: dealer1 | October 2, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Dancing with yourself, dealer?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 2, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Great piece on the Sportsbog...must read.

Posted by: Stumped1 | October 2, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Oh this is really funny. Go to week 4 of 2008. LMAO

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 2, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

http://fannation.com/peter_king_challenge/peter_king Peter has us getting beat by 12. Posted by: Gweez | October 2, 2008 2:30 PM

that's it!!!! F the iggles!!!! skins will destroy them! skins 25 iggles 17

Posted by: dealer1 | October 2, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

nate, did i miss something? did everyone flee to sportsbog?

Posted by: dealer1 | October 2, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Stats are very important to people like me, who want to get ready for the game, but have nothing to contribute except karmic energy...and my eyeballs on Sunday.

Posted by: Stumped1 | October 2, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Apart from generalized awesomeness, part of the reason the NFC East is (and will remain) so dominant this season is because the AFC North and NFC West (the divisions against whom the NFC East plays this season) are so putrid.

Posted by: dcsween | October 2, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Double move terrorist pissers?

Are they anything like carpet pissers?

Posted by: dcsween | October 2, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I heard that part of the bailout, ahem, rescue, package was going to be funded with bonus points, and that was the only way that they could get the House to go along with it.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 2, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

sween, if things turn out the way we hope on Sunday, the Skins will be the unwelcome guests who defile the carpet. The carpet being the fake grass in Philadelphia. And the house being the Linc. And the defiling being a defeat of the Eagles, as opposed to urination.

Hold up, this means the Dude and Walter are the Eagles... Donovan and Reid, respectively? Who's Donny? Who's Jesus? I'm so confused... and I can't abide making them the good guys...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 2, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I hope Clinton mom is there again. She has no problem bustin some philly fans @sses!

Posted by: Stu27 | October 2, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: dealer1 | October 2, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Great article, thanks for passing on the knwoledge Gweez. Get your Horton jersey while you can!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 2, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

You see where Jaws broke down his INT on Romo? It was a thing of beauty.
________

Anyone have the link to the clip that Jaws did of breaking down the INT by Horton?
Thanks.

Posted by: Levelheadedskinsfan19 | October 2, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES
once again, brought to you -- a little late in the week -- by the good folks at YAHOO!

The win on Sunday was the win of a confident team. One that knows if it plays hard and plays smart, that it can play with anyone. And beat anyone. Anywhere.

The only evidence that I can cite that we've ever had to believe otherwise was the opening game. Now it was a strong piece of evidence and it leads to a subtle, but mostly overlooked point. The extra days the Skins had to correct themselves following the opening game. They clearly needed it. And they took full advantage of it.

Coming into the season, there were numerous unknowns, notably Zorn's coaching. While I've always thought that Campbell was an NFL QB on his way to being among the 10 best, I'll admit to skepticism about Campbell and the west coast offense.

What wasn't unknown, was the defense. In the last portion of the 2007 season, our defense was dominant. Even in Seattle, the defense played well (giving up only 13 points going into the 4th quarter), especially considering how poorly the offense played .

The 2008 defense is almost identical to 2007. Rocky and Rogers have returned and are playing better than I expected. Given the nature of their injuries, I wasn't optimistic for either (especially Rogers). Horton has been off the charts as a playmaker.

I predicted a 10-6 record based largely on the defense. That side of the ball was going to deliver and the teams outside the division is as soft as any I can recall. The defense is playing at the very high level we've come to expect. Romo, Brees and Warner are 1, 3 and 4 in passing yards. Manning has a passer rating of 91 and that is the lowest of the QBs we've played. There is nothing fluky about the play of the defense.

The offense has also been excellent since the opening night disaster. Only some badly timed penalties and some poor special teams play kept the scores of the last 3 games close.

This team is now playing in the very big leagues and the power rankings reflect that. Nothing on the way to this 3-1 record is a result of luck. The talent is there. The QB and the Head Coach are a big part of the success. Zorn has done what the best coaches do. He brought his philosophy to town, saw that big chunks of it didn't work. So he adapted his approach to the talents of his players. After week 1.

The upcoming game is big. For the 5th straight week, we face a top QB. A win and it solidifies the team's confidence that they are going in the right direction. That 2008 is a chance for big things if they stay focused.

Finally, one point about that notorious guy playing for dallas. OK, I know, that doesn't narrow it down much. I'm talking t.o. He looked to me like he is slowing down. He is 35, but I haven't seen that issue raised yet. By year end, I suspect I won't be the only one to mention it.

And that is ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES for this week, brought to you by YAHOO!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 2, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse