Redskins acquire Ramzee Robinson off waivers from Browns

Washington was awarded cornerback Ramzee Robinson off waivers from the Cleveland Browns. The Redskins also waived defensive lineman Greg Peterson and cornerback Melvin Stephenson.

Robinson, chosen in the seventh round of the 2007 draft by Detroit, has appeared in 26 career games, with 13 tackles and one fumble recovery. He's also been credited with 24 special teams stops. He was waived by the Lions prior to the 2009 season and picked up by the Philadelphia Eagles, who then waived him last December. That's when Cleveland picked him up.

Peterson had signed with the Redskins as a free agent in April but didn't last long. And Stephenson signed in May as an undrafted rookie free agent.

By Rick Maese  |  June 20, 2010; 12:59 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahans together for Father's Day, and beyond
Next: Q&A with Jammal Brown

Comments

I'm glad they're doing something to address another of the teams real depth concerns, but I've never heard of a Ramzee Robinson, and it's not encouraging that dude can't stick anywhere for long.

Posted by: NeverWavered | June 20, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad they're doing something to address another of the team's real depth concerns, but I've never heard of a Ramzee Robinson, and it's not encouraging that dude can't stick anywhere for long.

Posted by: NeverWavered | June 20, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like training camp fodder to me.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 20, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't sount like the second coming of Mel Blount.. but hey, maybe he can at least hold on to a freakin INT.

Posted by: iubiquity | June 20, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like training camp fodder to me.

Posted by: kaasmaster
_____________

Well, it is Fodder's Day...

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | June 20, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Cool name - Ramzee. Doubt he makes the first cut.

Posted by: coparker5 | June 20, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Well at least he can catch the ball:

Posted by: kingpenn1 | June 20, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I think they want him for special teams. I don't think he is going to break the starting cornerback lineup or even the nickel- or dime-back position, but as a deep backup and special teams guy.

Hey, stop dissing corners for bad hands. If they had good hands, they'd be receivers.

Posted by: PriorKnowledge | June 20, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

The former Mr. Irrelevant. I remember seeing him on the NFL Network the year he was drafted having a ball during "Irrelevant Week." LOL

Posted by: SlugGirl69 | June 20, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Great, someone to push Rogers. HA HA HA

Posted by: hessone | June 20, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Let's see. He's been waived 6 times. Yep! That's redskins material all right.

Posted by: lp_lodestar | June 20, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

lp_lodestar good job with the idiot post. i was wondering who would be the first fool to post a dumb comment. CONGRATS!

Posted by: clwalker1906 | June 20, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Well at least he can catch the ball:

Posted by: kingpenn1 | June 20, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice the former Skins draft pick that threw that pass?

Posted by: Rod5 | June 20, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

This guy would only hang on as a special teams contributor, which it sounds like is his background. He's probably just a body, but that the team is now focusing on depth/special teams might mean they are pretty happy with what they have - especially after getting Jamaal Brown over the weekend.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 20, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Two areas that are constant problems in tody's NFL: Depth and Attrition.

These 'here and there' pickups aren't necessarily game changers but help with getting healthy bodies in rotation.

Posted by: kahlua87 | June 20, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Ramzee - what was his mother thinking? Ramsey, perhaps?

Posted by: nativedc | June 20, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow, just two weeks ago on RI, I posted that I really hoped the Skins would go out and bring in another OL and CB.

Jamal Brown for the OL--- great addition
Ramzee for CB--- Haven't a clue, honestly.

But this does tell me that when assessing the Roster, I have not lost my mind, nor am I pessimistically evaluating the Skins.

Hey, I am not one of the negative RI posters.
Good news.

:) Good night to all my fellow RI posters.
I'm sure you guys are as encouraged as I am.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | June 20, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

special teams, special teams.

24 special teams stops in 3 seasons is 8 stops a season which is 0.5 stops per game.

11 guys on the field with 5 kickoffs (assuming 4 scores + 1rst kick of game/half) per game means every 10 kicks he makes a stop.

Not too shabby. Seems to be pulling his own weight at least.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | June 21, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

"One day after acquiring tackle Jammal Brown via trade, the Redskins on Sunday shook up their roster a bit more. Washington was awarded cornerback Ramzee Robinson off waivers from the Cleveland Browns. The Redskins also waived defensive lineman Greg Peterson and cornerback Melvin Stephenson."

C'mon JR....this hardly qualifies as "shaking up their roster". No one has ever heard of any of these players. How is this "roster-shaking"?

Posted by: Monk81_Green28 | June 21, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Detroit, then Philly, then Cleveland? Poor guy had to live in three of the worst cities in North America. Welcome to civilization buddy!

Posted by: Section104 | June 21, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Walk like an Egyptian...

Posted by: ElYeah | June 21, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

6th round pick in 07'. Still young, yet seasoned. Healthy. Bounced around so he's seen alot of schemes. Decent special teams player (nice math WrightBSU, what's your major? Dude, you've got too much time on your hands.)

When you uncork this bottle of wine it's either going to be vintage or vinager. I'd be interested to know 'why' the other teams let him go...(ie. Did he pull a Haynesworth or was it just depth? Was he a good teammate, worker? or dumb as a brick?) ...but that would be news and take some effort to report. Come on Jason!!, I could have pulled his stats off the internet too.

Bottom line is the Skins are making moves in the right places...and at least I understand what they are tring to do and it seems smart, logical, professional.

How many years has it been since we could say that? Oh yeah, Danny and Vinnie are out of the equation...hmmmmmm. We might actually be seeing and getting a football team run by football people. Wow!!!!

Posted by: MikeOFW | June 24, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

This is the chance he needs to prove himself. Maybe Hastlet can get the best from him. A lot of players bounce around like that until the right time and place happens. People have seen something. Now lets hope he brings that to the next level.

Posted by: Gibbs4Pres | June 25, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse