Redskins add a WR to practice squad

The Redskins have signed wide receiver Anthony Armstrong to their practice squad, the team announced this morning.

Armstrong, 26, was on the Miami Dolphins' practice squad last season and played for the Dolphins in the preseason this summer. He played in the Arena Football League, for Dallas Desperados in 2007 and 2008.

By Cindy Boren  |  October 21, 2009; 11:54 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vote: Who will rate on 'Monday Night Football'?
Next: Collins copes with 'unsettling' situation

Comments

As I've said, the problem with Barno isn't that he's a shameless homer. There's actually nothing at all wrong with that.

The problem with Barno is that he would question the loyalty of anyone who disagreed with him, as if he were the sole arbiter of what it meant to be a real fan. He embarked on a completely ludicrous vendetta against Jason La Canfora and, more recently, Jason Reid. In what he has written up here and elsewhere on teh WashPo, one can only conclude that Barno is a disturbed and paranoid individual who believes all those that disagree with him are somehow, in some way against him.

Those of us who have been subjected to Barno's delirious ranting and bullying since the beginning of this blog relish the comeuppance that Poopy is serving.

At some point it will get old, sure. But let us not ever forget what a complete jerk Barno is. And let us thank Poopy for multi-tasking and proving it without a shadow of a doubt. It's not my blog, and it's certainly not my place to say who can and cannot post. But I sincerely hope Barno does not come back. This blog is a lot more civilized and interesting without him.

Posted by: PDiddy | October 20, 2009 8:45 PM |

Posted by: OG_Barno | October 21, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

What a wonderfully alliterative and confidence-inspiring name!

Posted by: freakzilla | October 21, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Why? That's exactly what they need...another wannabe WR.

Posted by: Monk81_Green28 | October 21, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Just what we needed. A young WR with Raw talent but not ready to play.

Posted by: Gweez | October 21, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I hope he's 7' 8" and fast so Jason Campbell can't overthrow him.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Vikings released QB John David Booty from their practice squad.
Booty had to go to make room for CB DeAndre Wright on the practice squad, who is insurance for Antoine Winfield (foot). The Vikings clearly aren't worried about someone snatching Booty up as they just released him last week as well before re-signing him on Saturday.
Source: Sean Jensen on Twitter

Well, I was gonig to say I REALLY think we should add Booty to see if he may at least be a good back up for next year and then we just sign a WR. UNREAL

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | October 21, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Desperado.

Why don't you come to your senses?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 21, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Though I have never even competed in the Miss Teen South Carolina pageant...

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2009 11:55 AM

You were a judge, right?

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 11:57 AM

You're thinking of Lamas -- the guy with the barbed wire tattoo. I wear real barbed wire (its just a thing about me and Southern literature, esp. Flannery O'Connor).

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

They needed another cat on the squad with the initials "AA"

Posted by: chrislarry | October 21, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

What a wonderfully alliterative and confidence-inspiring name!

Posted by: freakzilla | October 21, 2009 12:03 PM

He gets Alridge's locker.

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 21, 2009 11:45 AM

I think the late Yasser Arafat was a blocking tight end early in his career (couldn't really catch, like Yoder, so he mostly did chip blocking).

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I'd say Palistine would be a good place to find a middle linebacker who is good a blowing things up at the line of scrimmage.
Rimshot!

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 21, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

He'll be gone when Alex brings us back a Palestinian OL, Muhammed Al Tack El.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

They might as well put Marko Mitchell out there, since they don't plan on using him!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

If this guys gets bumped up, I hope ARE goes on IR to let this guy in on special teams. I'd even bring in Mitchell to start catching...let him play...what's the worse that could happen...we win a game...

Posted by: dpena75 | October 21, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

You can never add too much water to a Nuclear Reactor.

You can never have too many fledgeling receivers.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 21, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

So redskinshead, by your breakdown who do you think would have been quicker to turn over the managing of the Skins to a talented and energetic FO?

The "weak" Cooke Jr or "strong" Snyder?

Posted by: chrislarry

I understand your point. I think Cooke would have kept things as they were - it sounds like that is what he thought should have happened in the article - so the real question is did the Redskins have a talented front office when Snyder bought them? Clearly they were better than what the team has now; however, I hope that Snyder eventually learns to leave things alone and put his faith in a real football professional.

I think the Buffalo Bills are an example of a team with a weak owner. Wilson's health is not good and he's so strapped for cash that he had to auction off some games to be played in Toronto. He has tried to find someone to run his team and it just is not happening. The team is a wreck - which is about where Washington is right now. The key difference is I think Snyder couldn't have made his biliions without being a smart guy and he will eventually figure out his meddling is what is wrong. The situation in Buffalo is going to require an ownership change and when that happens, bye-bye Buffalo...

Posted by: RedSkinHead |

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 21, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

No, I think you want to go global and find a good O lineman you go to the former USSR countries and load up on Zangief types.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 21, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

. I'd like to see a left tackle taken in the first and a right tackle taken in the second.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 21, 2009 11:52 AM |

What you didn't say about your plan is that it involves kissing off 2010 and zoning on Barkley for the 2011 draft, which may work for some but has to factor in (a) an ever rising FTS attitude on the part of the fans and (b) an ever rising lbs count for AH.

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Wait - did I just hear you guys equate built wealth with intelligence?

I'm not sure they go hand in hand.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 21, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Championship!

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 21, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Anyone from Israel would be good on defense.

Mossad doesn't dilly dally.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 21, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

what's the worse that could happen...we win a game...

Posted by: dpena75 | October 21, 2009 12:09 PM

Following the Redskins has muddled your brain. "Winning a game" is actually the BEST that could happen.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 21, 2009 11:52 AM |

I'd "like" that but my guess is trade down and pick up some pass catchers.

Posted by: Gweez | October 21, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I suspect you meant that Mossad doesen't F around, but what do I know?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 21, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Did you notice that the ESPN power rankings have Detroit one rung above the Skins and KC one rung below the Skins? Do that make sense?

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 11:58 AM

Isn't sort of like worrying about which of the Seven Dwarves is the tallest?

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 21, 2009 12:08 PM |

Prexactly, dude, prexactly. Now that the Skins are shti forked and there have been endless repetitive postings of the why and the how, the thing to do now is to quibble over irrelevant trivialities.

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

OG Barno (who is not the real Barno by the way), thanks for that re-post.

I want to say that I vehemently disagree with P Diddy on just about everything he said there. But again, I think some of the resentment he has towards me was forged by comments attributed to me that were made by the Barno impostor. Obviously not all of it--we always disagreed on JLC--but at least some.

Diddy and I had a good time in Seattle in January 08 the night before the Skins playoff game. He was an admirable host, offering me and my friends drinks on him. Regardless of what he thinks of me, I'll always be appreciative to him for throwing that party for traveling skins fans.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 21, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Wait - did I just hear you guys equate built wealth with intelligence?

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 21, 2009 12:14 PM

---------

Most rich people either inherited their money, or got lucky.

There are notable exceptions, of course, and these folks have my respect, but only to the degree that their wealth did not come at someone else's expense.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 21, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 12:15 PM |

Not if you are in a race to the bottom to see who can score the #1 draft pick.

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Anyone from Israel would be good on defense.

Mossad doesn't dilly dally.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 21, 2009 12:14 PM

Good Morning, Starshine!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 21, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Haha Zangief. I think they should go over to Japan and sign 5 of the biggest sumo wrestlers. Imagine a line of those dudes. E. Honda types. All they do is push people just like O linemen do. They all have good leverage. Like to see DeMarcus Ware get around a 325lb Sumo Champion with nimble feet and quick hands.

Posted by: FedorEm | October 21, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 12:15 PM |

Not if you are in a race to the bottom to see who can score the #1 draft pick.

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 12:20 PM

My point, exactly. As a Redskins fan we think the worst shall be first.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Sign John David to the practice squad immediately

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 21, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Most rich people either inherited their money, or got lucky.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 21, 2009 12:19 PM |

Bill Gate's hard earned wealth came at IBM's expense. Heh, heh.

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

The Sumo wrestler idea is a good one.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 21, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

And as far as blaming the media?! Really? Are we still on that?

Posted by: 4-12 | October 21, 2009 11:07 AM

He said that the team shouldn't be worried about the media or even be reading/watching what they say about the team.

I said you would agree. So you don't?

Signed,

Confused in RalJohn

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 21, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

MARKO MITCHELL SUIT UP. MK AND ARE SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP.

Posted by: classicskins | October 21, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

ZORN ISNT THE ROOT CAUSE OF FAILURE!!!

FIRE CERRATO!!!

and I'd like to kick him in the biscuits on the way out.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | October 21, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

MARKO MITCHELL SUIT UP!

Posted by: classicskins | October 21, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Can you believe they got rid of Aldridge, when we have an idiot returning punts?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

something was reported here earlier in the year that has me a bit confused. It was said that Brennan was put on the PUP list which made him unavailable for the season. However is this true I was reading that the Patriots were thinking of activating a player from the PUP list before the deadline comes up in a couple weeks? Does anyone know the rule on this?

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 21, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

MARKO MITCHELL SUIT UP!

Posted by: classicskins | October 21, 2009 12:26 PM |

He has to be activated, and then he has to be put into the game.... but suiting up is a logical step in that progression.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I hope all you fans going to the game on Monday night have a concerted plan to humiliate the owner on national TV. After all, what goes around comes around.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | October 21, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

FUBAR!?

Posted by: ccwbambam | October 21, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I'd "like" that but my guess is trade down and pick up some pass catchers.

Posted by: Gweez | October 21, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I think if we actually ran some decent plays and a decent scheme our pass catchers would be fine. I refuse to believe that 3 top pass catchers from the same draft taken by the same team are all bust. I bet if these guys played for the Colts they would all be stars. I don't want to trade down in the first round because the elite left tackles go so quick. We need an elite left tackle like Russel Okung. I'd really like an elite right tackle too. Those are 2 very important positions that I think we should invest a lot in. With 2 elite tackles we can move BMW inside to guard. That immediately puts us in a good situation on the offensive line. Then we can work on getting better at Center, SLB, RB, and QB in 2011 and 2012. Hopefully by 2013 we can make a run. But that is a long term plan and Danny is too stupid to think long term so we'll probably take Tim Tebow in the first round.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 21, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to see Marko Mitchell become a good player for this team. But to think he can come in and make a difference on this offense... not gona happen. But I would still like to see him get some game time before this "season" is over.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | October 21, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 12:26 PM

I agree! I'd rather have a fumbler than an idiot, any day.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Zoron isn't responsible for all ill on this team. But he's in the one position that can manage the suck.

He's [the most integral] part of the porblem. Not the solution.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 21, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 12:26 PM

I agree! I'd rather have a fumbler than an idiot, any day.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 12:30 PM

Thank you!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

From the desk of Matt Mosely at espn:

NFC East Underachiever: Albert Haynesworth

NFC East Underachiever: Albert Haynesworth
October 21, 2009 11:00 AM
» NFC: East | West | North | South » AFC: East | West | North | South

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Unfortunately, there are plenty of candidates in what was once (three weeks ago) regarded as the top division in the league. But Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth receives the dubious distinction based on the insane amount of money he's receiving. For $41 million guaranteed, I think you'd like to see him make more of a difference.

The Redskins expected more from Albert Haynesworth when they signed him in the offseason. I don't really care about his numbers -- 17 tackles and 1.5 sacks -- because his presence alone was supposed to strike fear in the hearts of offensive coordinators.

So far, Haynesworth appears to wear down in the second half of games and he appears to have the injury bug. The guy has rarely made it through an entire season, but he was still an unbelievable player for the Titans.

----------

Thoughts?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 21, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

The wide receiver that should have been signed to practice squad - MALCOLM KELLY (mR. INVISIBLE)

Posted by: VegasJim | October 21, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Not sure we want the #1 pick in the draft. Too much money and no assurance of success. A high pick is good, but #1? We'd probably botch the pick anyway.

Trade back, we need more picks

Posted by: edvar | October 21, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | October 21, 2009 12:28 PM

The owner is going to get it Monday night from the guys in the booth. And the people going to the game will principally be Philadelphia fans.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 21, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Mosely is an asshat.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 21, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

From the desk of Matt Mosely at espn:

NFC East Underachiever: Albert Haynesworth

NFC East Underachiever: Albert Haynesworth
October 21, 2009 11:00 AM
» NFC: East | West | North | South » AFC: East | West | North | South

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

----------

Thoughts?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 21, 2009 12:32 PM

Another boner signing, by a front office of boners!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Palestine, West Virginia?

Isn't Adrian Peterson from Palestine, TX?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 21, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

At least Marko Mitchell when running "Go Routes" will catch a ball that hits both hands. ARE and MK need to be inactivated for Monday's game. Let DT return punts and kickoffs. JC just thrown deep to Marko!

Posted by: classicskins | October 21, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Just so long as he "gets it".

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | October 21, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I went down St. James Infirmary
Saw my baby there
Stretched out on a cold white table

Posted by: ElYeah | October 21, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

JC just thrown deep to Marko!

Posted by: classicskins | October 21, 2009 12:35 PM

Against the Eagles' pass rush? Deep will be six yards.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

AH has been playing great he was the best player on the field Sunday.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

did anyone read the article where CP was defending Dan Snyder??

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 21, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

4th- Here's the link to the bog, with the transcript of Clinton on the John Thompson show.

This is JT's question to CP:

"How many times Clinton can we start over and get some continuity?" a clearly frustrated John Thompson asked. "It just appears to me that it's always, in the middle of season and the end of the season, a change of personnel, starting over, some reevaluation or something. How the hell can there ever be continuity among you guys with all these changes that are made?"

How the heck does CP go into a "don't worry about the media" response to this? Clearly....obviously....'The Media' is what he's worried about. How else to explain his long answer. UFB. It's the media...that's why the team is in disarray.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 21, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

JC just thrown deep to Marko!
Posted by: classicskins | October 21, 2009 12:35 PM

Against the Eagles' pass rush? Deep will be six yards.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 12:38 PM

Exactly.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | October 21, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | October 21, 2009

A 325lbs Sumo wrestler? I don't think so. Try 490lbs. A 325 lb Sumo wrestler is road kill.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

ELYeah, i have the blues as well (well redskins blues, everything else is boffo)

Posted by: chrislarry | October 21, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Andre Carter's sack numbers have anything to do with AH occupying blockers?

I'd be interested to see a breakdown of many of those plays can be attributed to Haynesworth.

I am pleased to see productivity from the DE spot, but would like to see us win some of these games.

Overall, AH is a plus, not a bust, but I suspect he's not a peak performer, not yet... and he needs to get in better shape, I think?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 21, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

----------

Thoughts?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 21, 2009 12:32 PM

AH has been exactly what the team expected he'd be...that's why Orakpo, Carter, etc. are getting sacks.
Look at the Titans...same defense as last year, minus Haynesworth. Ouch.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 21, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Why not get Runyan too. Hell he knows how to play. Prolly knows a lot about Philly too. Then at least we'd have 2 tackles with NFL game EXP. Move big Mike inside to Guard. That might give JC some time to throw.

Posted by: FedorEm | October 21, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

AH plays 70% in each game thats a lot for a big DT on any team.

AH is the reason were getting more sacks period.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear all is "boffo" for ya cL.

Not sure what exactly that means, but it sounds good.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 21, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Really? I thought Stompy was doing GREAT!

I mean, Carter is getting sacks. We're getting picks. That's exactly what we brought him in for. We knew he would be missing half the season anyway.

It's not his fault that the DC is lining up the DBs 5 yards deep so the slants are wide open.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 21, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

----------

Thoughts?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 21, 2009 12:32 PM

Is this why the Titans are 0-6?

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Sacks are good, turnovers are better.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | October 21, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Agreed on AH.

He's making me question the virtues of lean muscle mass.

This fat guy is getting it done, so whatever works...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 21, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

AH is #67 on list of Skins probs....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 21, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Do you guys realize that we have won a single game since cutting Anthony Alridge?

We need this guy back, ASAP!!!!

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 21, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Another boner signing, by a front office of boners!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 12:34 PM |

Boners galore! Hey, no ED here.

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

McNabb will be thinking about the bone crusher lined up a couple of feet away from him, for sure.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 21, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Fat Albert doesn't play every down, and he needs to get in better shape, but he is a FORCE when he's in there. Hope to see him sprawled on top of McNabb a few times Monday night.

Posted by: VegasJim | October 21, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Cool.

Consensus had been reached.

AH is good.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 21, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Really? I thought Stompy was doing GREAT!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 21, 2009 12:47 PM |

All this was did against winless teams though. How great is that?

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Do you guys realize that we haven't won a single game since cutting Anthony Alridge?

We need this guy back, ASAP!!!!

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 21, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Mosely hasn't watched a Redskins game all season. So I doubt he can really give a good analysis of Haynesworth.

He's overpaid for sure, but he's a dominant player. He still plays 55 snaps a game and is a major reason why Andre Carter is having a great year. The Redskins as a team are on pace to shatter the amount of sacks they had last year. And the numbers would be even better if our corners didn't give 10 yard cushions.

Haynesworth isn't a problem area for this team, and the furthest down the list of things I'd critique about the Redskins this year.

The defense gets a pass from me so far, but if I were to label anyone on that side of the ball as an underachiever, it would be Landry. Not Haynesworth.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 21, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VegasJim | October 21, 2009 12:52 PM |

No DT in the league plays every down, most play 65-70% of defensive plays.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Vely interlesting article on Cooke son, especially when JKC almost fired Joe Gibbs, and this quote: Cooke added: "Total madness."
about adding FAA flight director Sherm Lewis.

There's a bogie on your tail Tom Cruz. Get some sweaty guys and play yourself some volleyball cause there won't be football played in DC until this thing gets changed.

Posted by: ElYeah | October 21, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

You'll get your answer Mon. nite, GLoad. Let's see how he does there.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 21, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES
again brought to you by the fine people at Yahoo!

Part 1

Yogi Berra once said, " If the people don't want to come out to the ballpark, nobody's going to stop them".

I have a 10 pack for the SJ Sharks. Since the Sharks sell out consistently, I can always sell my tix for a game I can't attend. Plus I get playoff tix, and have the choice of attending or selling them for a profit. For me, its a 'no lose' situation.

An uncle and cousin of mine live in SoCal and Ohio respectively, having moved to these areas 20+ years ago from New Jersey. Both still hold season tickets to the ny giants. Why? Because they make money from selling the tickets. Owning season tickets is a rational business decision.

In all 3 cases, if demand for tickets dropped, none of us would buy these tickets. But tickets are sold out and there is a wait list, keeping the season tickets is a 'no lose' proposition.

Well, looking at FedEx on Sunday, with thousands of empty seats just 6 games into this season, its pretty clear season ticket holders won't be getting face value for selling their tickets in 2009.

FedEx has the largest seating capacity in the NFL. Supply is large and isn't changing, but demand is changing.

Owning Redskins season tickets is no longer a 'no lose' scenario, as Sunday's empty seats attests to this new reality. The wait list may soon be exposed as Swiss cheese. And the wait list IS the financial bedrock of this franchise.

So, is this problem a long term issue or short term issue?

My sense is that it is long term. Its been almost 20 years since the Skins were consistent contenders. Kids born 22 years ago are now graduating college -- and have rarely glimpsed a Skins team even modest success. Its unlikely the Skins have deep roots in this generation.

Rooting for a sports team is irrational. That people "care" about a bunch of overpaid players wearing their favorite laundry is irrational. Still, this "caring" is what results in ticket sales, jersey sales, TV viewing, radio listening and a host of other activities that the ownership has used to create huge revenues.

But do the fans still care?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

We need this guy back, ASAP!!!!

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 21, 2009 12:50 PM

We haven't lost since we cut him. Good riddance. He was a jinx.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Part 2

Reading comments and articles, the answer is that things are changing for the worse and its happening quickly. Fan passion and anger are quickly turning into apathy. Angry fans are still fans -- and still spend. Once apathy sets in, people start making rational decisions. If owning season tickets makes good business sense, you continue to own them. If not, you don't. The turnout at the Chiefs game says that it doesn't make business sense anymore.

Fans that have become apathetic will do other things instead of watching the Redskins. The growing disconnect between Dan Snyder's Redskins and the community is moving large numbers of fans from passion to apathy. Its the speed that feels so dramatic. It sure feels like 2009 is the last straw for large numbers of Redskin fans.

An apathetic season ticket holder might be fine if he has a 'no lose' situation. But since this is no longer a 'no lose' situation, his time and money will get spent elsewhere. That we're in a recession, FedEx offers a mediocre game day experience and that Danny sued season ticket holders that don't pay are secondary factors that make a bad situation worse. All these factors may well undermine the financial bedrock of this franchise and we may start seeing serious problems within 12-24 months.

Is Dan Snyder's financial success with this franchise is far more tenuous than anyone realizes? I'm guessing it is.

And that's a wrap on this week's edition of ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES as always brought to you by Yahoo!'s finest

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

"Kids born 22 years ago are now graduating college -- and have rarely glimpsed a Skins team even modest success. Its unlikely the Skins have deep roots in this generation."

This statement is HUGE. One of my NYC Skins posse and I (DMV natives) were discussing this just last night. This does very long term damage to the franchise. I believe Gweez was saying something similar on last thread.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 21, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Tennesse Titans+ no Albert Haynesworth=59-0,No! I don't like the fact that "Fat Albert" seems to be gassed halfway through the the third quater but the D-line seems to get to the opposing QB with more regularity than last season and i'm not sure a combo of Montgomery,Griffin,Alexander, and Gholston does that this year w/o da fat man sooooo.... when you factor in the forty million dollar contract are we getting our money's worth?

Posted by: dargregmag | October 21, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Anybody who kicks a Cowboy in the head is welcome on my team.

Posted by: VegasJim | October 21, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

All this was did against winless teams though. How great is that?

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I love how everybody counts the Giants as winless. That's stupid.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 21, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I hope he's 7' 8" and fast so Jason Campbell can't overthrow him.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Desperado.

Why don't you come to your senses?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 21, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Both of you deserve Kudos for those....I am still cracking up!

Posted by: OVIHtrick8 | October 21, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Just punch me in the face repeatedly, Redskin front office.

It's week seven, we're 2-4, we have a new play caller, and we pick up old'n'busted castoff Levi Jones, a running back nobody outside of Utah has ever heard of, and now we get this WR for the practice squad. Exactly what we need. Whoop-dee-frickin'-doo.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 21, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

good article Zeke.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 21, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Mr Armstrong, welcome, and pay no attention to that stench emanating from the practice field. You'll get used to it in time. In fact, you'll be part of it!

Posted by: pgugino | October 21, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 21, 2009 12:27 PM

Brennan is on Injured Reserve (IR), which is different than the PUP list. Going on IR means you are done for the season, and that you don't count against the 53-man roster. PUP is a more complicated off-season designation that allows a player designated as such before training camp and not reactivated during preseason to return after Week Six, though they can practice with the team before then.

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 21, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Against most standards, both Albert and our defense have been good, maybe even very good. But they were expected to be dominate. They were both expected to win games with little help from the offense.

When Detroit drives 99 yards with a rookie QB against your defense, that isn't dominating.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 21, 2009 12:18 PM

Wow, way to man up and take responsibility for...wait, what? You say now that an "imposter" said all those negative things about people that disagreed with the "real" Barno1?

Oldest trick in the book. Only a Wapo webtech can know which IP said what, but it would seem that Barno1 is taking the cowards way out by blaming it all on some anti-Barno1 conspiracy plot.

Barno1, man up, admit you were wrong, (i.e. admit you shouldn't question the fan loyalty of people that disagree with you), and move on.

Posted by: hithere1 | October 21, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Tru!

Reading about the Redskins' FO feels like watching an episode of "Ow, My Balls".

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 21, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

As an addendum, Brennan started training camp on the active roster, so he could not have been designated PUP. He either had to be included on the 53-man roster, cut, or put on IR.

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 21, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Divisional games are by far the trickiest to pick in pool betting.

Posted by: dcsween

I got a sure bet for you, sween. Bet the overs on number of timesout the Redskins are forced to call when the play doesn't get in on time.

Posted by: TheCork | October 21, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Fair point, z, but I think that a little blame can be put on the offense; I haven't noticed a whole huge bunch of long, time consuming drives that allow the defense to rest.

The 'Skins defense is sort of like an ace pitcher on a team that can't hit; all sorts of pressure is put on them to perform at the highest level, because the team isn't scoring points, and they can't relax and just bring it to the other team, because they can't afford to let up a home run or, in the case of the 'Skins defense, a big play.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 21, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | October 21, 2009 1:11 PM |

I believe they were already wasting 2 a game for this, so one more wont matter.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Barno1,

I like how you still are making excuses for your own words. I didn't "crop" anything or "take anything out of context" as you desperately claim. A I did was take a page out of YOUR playbook and just do some simplye copy/pasting. That's all, nothing more, nothing less. It was rather easy to do too, thanks to The Google.

As for what happened (and had to happen) yesterday I think it's best to sum it up via song:

"Took you out in the back of the toolshed
Put it right on top of your forehead
Took you out in the back of the toolshed
Now you know what you're ______ with....."

As for more barno-ism's I'll let the collective whole decide. If they think you got enough comeuppance yesterday I'll let sleeping dogs lie. However, if the collective wants more I'll feed that dog too.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 21, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm

A Sumo would be interesting....

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 21, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Cool.

Consensus had been reached.

AH is good.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 21, 2009 12:52 PM

AH is a fat, lazy slob that has made only minor contributions to the defense.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

That JKC story about the fateful ultimatum-packed dinner with a pimply Snyder reminded me of the scene in Godfather II when Michael tells Mo Greene he's going to buy him out. Mo says, you don't buy me out, I buy you out. Unfortunately in this version, Mo gets the casino. Then runs it into the ground while Michael has to watch from his awesomely appointed home in Lake Tahoe, after spending two years in Corleone. He still kills Fredo in this version too, because Fredo was simple and deserved to die. Actually, Fredo kind of looks like Ceratto. So maybe in this version Michael keeps Ceratto alive. Wait- Snyder is Mo Green who gets the casino, so maybe in this version, Fredo is adopted by Mo Green and goes to work for him at the failing casino. Ahh. That's better. I love it when a fiction holds together. Kind of like the fiction that Snyder 1) cares about the Redskins tradition and 2) wants to win.

Posted by: SnyderisaBornLoser | October 21, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

on the whole time for the bingo caller to call down the plays.

forgetting for a second that he has to spin that big cage thing with all the balls in it before he pulls one out to call a play.

Isn't the technolgy advanced enough that Lewis can talk to the QB directly?

Or is that agin the rules?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 21, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I love how everybody counts the Giants as winless. That's stupid.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 21, 2009 1:02 PM

Not stupid at all. If the Redskins had beaten them, they would have remained winless.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

But Poopy, you didn't address one intersting Barno point!

Are you really JLaC?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 21, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

All this was did against winless teams though. How great is that?

You'll get your answer Mon. nite, GLoad. Let's see how he does there.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 21, 2009 12:56 PM |

I love how everybody counts the Giants as winless. That's stupid.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 21, 2009 1:02 PM |

On Monday night. Don't know if this is the answer. Petey has a serious owie. After he left the Oak game early on McN had a sack attack - 6 - and the Eegs lost bad to the lowly Rads.

On the Giants being winless. Proves my point about AH. Dude was invisible in that game in terms of putting presssure on the passing game. Manning had all the time in the world to pick out the appropriate target. AH was a factor in stopping the Giants on 4th at the goal line. But just being 6'6" and 350 plugs a lot of gaps, even if you aren't AH.

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I believe they were already wasting 2 a game for this, so one more wont matter.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

The issue was that Zorn didn't know where they were going to spot the ball so he never called the play until the ball was spotted and he knew exactly how many yards they had to go. I think Sherm will do what any normal person would do and guess where the ball is going to be spotted. Since 9/10 it's pretty obvious where they're spotting the ball you can send the play call in pretty early. Remember folks, Sherm is used to playing bingo with old ladies. They're pretty serious about that stuff. You can't be messing around when old ladies are playing bingo. I get he has the next play call in before Portis falls over after a 3 yard gain.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 21, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 21, 2009 1:12 PM

Washington's offense is 30th in the league in terms of time of possession, averaging 27:04 minutes per game. Only teams worse are Tennessee and Oakland.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

AH is a fat, lazy slob that has made only minor contributions to the defense.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 1:15 PM |

Now you show what a idiot you are, AH is doing a great job on defense do you even watch the games.

How many sacks did we have last year? I believe we have close to that many already this year.

How is Tenn. defense doing without AH.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

AH is a fat, lazy slob that has made only minor contributions to the defense.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 1:15 PM |

How is Tenn. defense doing without AH.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2009 1:21 PM

Hmm, ok then, how are we doing without Pete kendall?

Same logic.... faulty.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

gload,

They are doing better now which is why sacks have gone up.

I hope we can do it against a good team we will soon see.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, ok then, how are we doing without Pete kendall?

Same logic.... faulty.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 1:23 PM |

What are you talking about what does Kendall have to do with AH or the defense.

Are offense sucked last year with kendall.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Poopy,

ease off the cat...you got him good...he took his like a good dude with only limited push back.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 21, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

How is Tenn. defense doing without AH.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2009 1:21 PM

Oooh! Oooh! I know that, Mr. Flounder! Call on me, please!

31st in the league. Giving up 405 yards per game.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Flounder21,

What position do you hold in the front office at Redskins Park, Director of Misinformation?

Seriously, you tow the company line more than AH lies flat on his face in order to fake an injury so that he can get an extra few minutes of rest before flopping around like grimace looking for a milkshake in the turf near the offensive line.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

31st in the league. Giving up 405 yards per game.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 1:26 PM |

But are offense isn't doing good without kendall.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

on the whole time for the bingo caller to call down the plays.

Isn't the technolgy advanced enough that Lewis can talk to the QB directly?

Or is that agin the rules?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 21, 2009 1:16 PM

I thought that, when Gilbride has called some games from the booth in the past, he had a (the?) direct line to Eli.

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

At this point I'd welcome back Pete Kendall just to try and save a small piece of what little self-respect the skins still have.

I'm new here and don't know if you've discussed this but why the heck is Betts on the team if he does not get the start over an injured underperformer like Portis?

Posted by: nettek67 | October 21, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Flounder21,

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 1:28 PM |

This has nothing to do with the company line I hate what Snyder is doing but I don't make up sh_t to prove it.

AH is playing great if you can't see that you don't know football, and from all the other posters who agree with me, I would say your wrong.

Who cares if he fakes an injury after making a big play does that bother you in some whay?

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Also, I think the QB headsets are supposed to "lock out" when there is something like only 5 or 10 seconds on the play clock.

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

But are offense isn't doing good without kendall.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 21, 2009 1:28 PM

23rd in the league in yardage. 29th in the league in scoring (13.2 points per game).

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Lewis is only here to tell Dan the man which players stay and which ones go on the bus with Zorn and Campbell when the season ends. This being an uncapped year. I expect major changes in the off-season.

Posted by: nettek67 | October 21, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston

Not disagreeing -- but I will say this. Danny paid for an elite defense. Started with a top 5 defense. He then let go 3 guys who were injured for big chunks of time and 1 rotation guy. Then he drafted every pick until round 7 on the defense AND signed Albert.

Danny isn't getting an elite defense, he's getting pretty good.

Worth mentioning, the defense did 'win' the game versus Carolina (two very short fields) and the Rams (7 points). The offense and teams gave the Carolina game back.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I wonder: could we beat the Titans?

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | October 21, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

What did the team see in this receiver? He has playing experience but he couldn't make the Dolphins roster and their receiving corps is rock bottom bad. Can't see where this is a better pick-up than re-signing a guy like Eloi who did some things in the pre-season and has some reps in the offense...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 21, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth has been exactly what they wanted. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't been paying attention.

Vinny is a terrible personnel guy, but that doesn't mean Haynesworth hasn't worked out. You could argue (and I would agree) that there should have been different priorities, but Albert Haynesworth has been phenomenal in my opinion (and I bet in the opinions of A. Carter and B. Orakpo).

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 21, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

AH = least of this teams worries...he's facing 2-3 blockers most every play, not sure what the focus is on him for....

bringing back pkendall=dock to the bench, because PK is a LG, which currently we have a guy playing there....so give up that ghost....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

15 sacks so far this season. 24 all last season.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 21, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Classic Riggo, back in "the day." Sigh.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 21, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I wonder: could we beat the Titans?

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | October 21, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

We can't beat the Lions, Panthers, or Chiefs so I'd say no.

Posted by: FedorEm | October 21, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Also, Andre Carter has 2 more sacks already this season then he did in 2008. Orackpo is at 4 sacks which ties the no 2 guy we had last year I believe.

So sacks are finally up on the team. The line is not the problem on D. We just are short on LB's (no pun intended)

Posted by: alex35332 | October 21, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Danny isn't getting an elite defense, he's getting pretty good.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 1:33 PM

"elite" smeet. They're number five in the league on a team where the offense and special teams keep putting them in holes. They'll get better as they play together more.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source

Because the Offense can't mount a drive..3 and out...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 21, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | October 21, 2009 1:01 PM

A friend of mine said this recently as well. He said you don’t see the kids in skins gear (hats, coats and whatnot) like you used to in the 70-80’s.

Posted by: skinswest | October 21, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Agreeing that Albert has been a presence in the middle and that his 'injury' stuff -- where he lays down on the field is over analyzed.

If anything, he should be out there for fewer plays, not more. I think he's around 70% of the plays and the other teams are winning time of possession, so not only is he out there a high % of plays, the other teams are running lots of plays.

My thought. Albert plays the first 3 plays of a possession, see if we can get the 3 and out. He then comes back in if there is a 3rd and 1, 3rd and very long, and in red zone.

If I can't get a 3 and out, I want him fresh in the red zone and fresh on the plays that result in my team getting the ball back.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

London Fletcher is on pace to lead the league in tackles and surpass his totals from last season by a good margin. A big reason for that it Haynesworth's play in front of him.

Andre Carter has 5.5 sacks this year. And a big reason for that is Haynesworth playing next to him.

Haynesworth is doing exactly what he was brought here to do. He is a dominating DT. He's taking up multiple blockers. Still collapses the pocket and teams are running away from him. He's not only making everyone else around him better, he's a very disruptive force himself. All you have to do is watch him to see it.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 21, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

"AH did his job against the Giants it was the edns who could not get off single blocks." We guaranteed AH $41 M only to find that our edns can't get off single blocks (we're talking blocks by RBs and TEs here) against a division rival?

"They are doing better now which is why sacks have gone up." I should hope so when the opposition is as pathetic as it has been.

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Any chance this Levi Strauss Jones starts on Monday?

Posted by: FedorEm | October 21, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

In today's "why middle age guys in the public eye should look outside the workplace for 22 year old strange"

Posted by: chrislarry | October 21, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Poopy, I would lay off Barno. You've done enough. He seems pretty sincere in his comments and I don't think you should continue with this, it's getting pretty tiresome. Also, everyone deserves a second chance.

Hithere, Barno did admit he was wrong a bunch in an earlier thread. Let me see if I can find it for you.

Alex, yeah the Redskins D-line is the lone bright spot this season. They are piling up sacks like we haven't seen here in years.

Posted by: JimMonitor | October 21, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | October 21, 2009 12:32 PM

Imagine our offense could sustain drives and actually win the battle of TOP. Haynesworth and the entire D would be fresh. Maybe we would see some more sacks in the second half.

Either way, hard to argue our defense isn't one of the best 7-10 in the league.

Posted by: saltine182 | October 21, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Good try, but not true.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 21, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

But Poopy, you didn't address one intersting Barno point!

Are you really JLaC?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 21, 2009 1:18 PM

Ah he got me, my ruse is up. I'm sitting in my cubicle right now here at the NFL Network eating my tuna sandwich and baked lays chips while sipping on Code Red. Oh how I relished this day. And I NEVER had any intention of giving him any dvd.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 21, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source

Because the Offense can't mount a drive..3 and out...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 21, 2009 1:42 PM |

And, except for the Giants, this is against bottom dweller teams for Chrissake.

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

____________

You remind me of the Iraqi Minister of Defense.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 21, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Agreed Jim, you want to rebuild this team I think you do it around our D-line Particularly, Jarmon, Orakpo and Haynsworth with a * on Goldston and Carter.

PS I have been thinking about it, now that we have seen what Carter can do with AH eating up the pocket, do we re-consider keeping him?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 21, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Danny paid for a #1 or #2 defense. He threw everything into it in order to move it from very good to elite. He's getting a #7 defense.

The defense is good, but its also underachieving.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hithere1 | October 21, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Here it is:

But I am not running away from any of the many comments I wrote about this team. I posted a few times the other day that I was about as wrong as one can get this year about the Redskins. I was wrong in spectacular fashion. I apologized for my relentless idiotic predictions but it obviously didn't satisfy some, and that's their prerogative

Posted by: Barno1 | October 21, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

He had a Part II as well, hold on

Posted by: JimMonitor | October 21, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Either way, hard to argue our defense isn't one of the best 7-10 in the league.

we're ranked 5th overall

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 21, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm not running away from any of my actual comments, more than anything I am just crushed that the Redskins did not live up to them than anything else. I will always believe that this team could have been a good team had Thomas, and later Samuels, not gone down. But I don't think we'll ever get to find out. But I can take the heat and as I said before, feel free to continue to pile on me--I deserve it--and I expect Poopy and others will.

That's about it. Sorry for the book, there was a lot of ground to cover.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 21, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JimMonitor | October 21, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

The defense is good, but its also underachieving.

As opposed to what the offense is doing??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Either way, hard to argue our defense isn't one of the best 7-10 in the league.

Posted by: saltine182 | October 21, 2009 1:50 PM |

And prexactly what is that worth? The Giants had the best D and it was nuked by NO. And they still have the best D, at least in terms of ypg. LMAO.

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Someone kick me...I'm stuck in a dream where we had a GM a few years back and he hired 3 Offensive linemen instead of receivers.... and guess what...we are now 6-0.

I'm pretty sure Snyder can read. Hopefully he will read at least one of the thousands of posting calling for Cerrato's walking papers.

Posted by: nettek67 | October 21, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

The defense is good, but its also underachieving.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

__________________

I think where they are underachieving is in the secondary. They miss Springs. Landry needs to be a strong safety and the corners still play too far off the wide outs. Orakpo at LB is a mixed bag, he's a liability in coverage vs. TEs but great in the pass rush. Outside of Haynesworth, Landry and Orakpo are our two best "talents" and they are playing out of position.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 21, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I love how everybody counts the Giants as winless. That's stupid.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 21, 2009 1:02 PM

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 1:17 PM

This a money statement of truth. The most important game of the season is Week One. Starting the season with a Swagger Deficit can become a cycle of swagger debt that accumulates in ways that players end up losing confidence in each other, playing conservatively, etc, such as. See Skins going into Week Seven.

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

can we please move on from the barno piling on?? wtf...guy had an opinoin just like everyone else, he's thrown out a mea culpa...wtf else do people want....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I'd say we want a CD/DVD signed by Cooley.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 21, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

You mean we added to the roster a guy who is discarded by Bill Parcells?

How amusing...

Posted by: DesiHungama | October 21, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

BEEP BEEP

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: dfbovey | October 21, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 21, 2009 1:34 PM

I've avoided the Haynesworth discussion (b/c its one of those do loops that cycles endlessly), but his presence on the roster has almost nothing to do with Vinny Cerrato. The EVP just dialed the telephone. The reason Albert Haynesworth is here is because The Owner wanted him here.

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GLoad

And they'll still get Nuked when they start playing the tougher teams on their schedule.
There D got fat on the same weak team we have but they won because of better Off. The G-men have no secondary and only Zorn couldn't take advantage of them..When Campbell was in no-huddle calling his own plays against the G-men we moved the ball and scored..Dallas and sorry azz homo-Romo put up 30 on them...and when we meet them again we'll score like BINGO...B-30 I-34 N-27 G-31 0-24...you pick a number...trust me on this I live in NYC and see a lot of Giant games...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 21, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Ok, was the talent upgraded when Marcus Mason was cut loose? I mean, is the new practice squad player going to make this team a contender or not? And how about 30 year old Levi Jones. Can't make it with the Bengals so he moved to Washington. Whats the over/under of him starting? God, I can't wait for baseball season to start again.

Posted by: garyolney | October 21, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Given that this will be an uncapped year and we need to make changes, who stays, who goes?

What do you see our needs being going into the offseason: I'm thinking we need "AT LEAST": 1 QB, 1 WR, 1 RB, 2 OL, and 1 OLB.

As you can see... I'm not that unhappy with AH.

Posted by: nettek67 | October 21, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Anyone stop to think maybe the other team knows the easiest way to move the ball is knock AH out? If I'm a C/G on a Skins opponent I'm trying to charlie horse/twist his knee/poke eyes/knee a groin or whatever else I can do on any (every) given play. And when I've got a buddy or two assigned to helping me block him on every play I'll probably get a few shots in.

I agree with an earlier post; you can argue that DT wasn't a priority - and you'd be right. I'll add to that the huge contract is bad for the locker room. But Haynesworth is not underperforming.

Also consider if the offense controlled the ball for 35 minutes he could play the same number of plays and % would look more like 80.

Posted by: withoutdoubt27 | October 21, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JimMonitor | October 21, 2009 1:50 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OK, fair enough. It's just that Barno1 mixes mea culpas with statements like the following:

"But again, I think some of the resentment he has towards me was forged by comments attributed to me that were made by the Barno impostor. Obviously not all of it--we always disagreed on JLC--but at least some." (Quote taken from this post's comment section above.)

The reason I am so interested in all this Barno comeuppance stuff is that I remember - and it has now been well documented by poopy (heehee) - that Barno1 repeatedly attacked the fan loyalty of posters that disagreed with him, and he also still seems to cling to some idea that "impostors" are the ones responsible for posting comments that make people mad at him.

So ok, I agree that Barno1 has basically now shown up and been fairly accountable for his past statements here, so yeah laying off seems right.

But I also expect that fan loyalty should no longer be an issue on this board. Anyone who spends time commenting - especially here, especially now - should be seen as "real" fans of the Redskins (of course excepting those who self-identify otherwise).

Posted by: hithere1 | October 21, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Now that the Eagles are licking their chops after coming off a loss to the Raiders, the Redskins are in the cross hairs. Hide the children, and keep the women close as this Monday night is going to bring the scariest Halloween story on TV.

Even as Sherm Lewis has Jason Campbell throwing from punt formation, he won't be back far enough to avoid the Eagle pressure. Watch Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas dissapear from the stat sheets, as they are no where to be found on the field...except in the huddle.

Dial M for mirage as a wide open Santana Moss is missed in the End Zone. Watch Randle El shrink in fright as a punted ball falls from the sky towards him.

Lock your windows and doors just as Carlos Rogers has locked hand cuffs around his own wrists for the past four years. And alas for the side show, watch a Redskinette stiff arm DeAngelo Hall at midfield and drag him to the endzone on an ill fated sexual advance during the pre-game warm-up. Its The Body Bag Game II.(Queue the Vincent Price laughter!)

Posted by: clark202 | October 21, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Actually zcezcest1 that was a pretty nice estimate.

AH was in for 75% of the D snaps last week.

League average for a DT is somewhere between 60% and 70% (depending on the style of defense; 3-4 NT will be on a different amount than a 4-3 pairing w/ rotation of players, etc...), so the guy folks are calling "lazy", "fat", and "out of shape" is on the field ABOVE league average in per game time.

...hhhhmmmmm...wonder if that means NFL DTs are lazy by nature?

...lol.

Posted by: ThinkingMan | October 21, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

"Look at the plays, except for his 1.5 sacks, every turnover and sack our defense has had this year has been while AH was on the sidelines gasping for air.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 21, 2009 1:48 PM"

Are you REALLY sure? RRREEEEEEEEEAllly sure?

I'm PRETTY sure at least one, if not TWO of D. Hall's picks were on downs where AH was not only on the field, but WELL behind the offensive line.

I'll hit the archive to verify, and check if it was a hat-trick of Hall's picks, too

I'm not sayin'...I'm just sayin'

Posted by: ThinkingMan | October 21, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

"Its The Body Bag Game II.(Queue the Vincent Price laughter!)

Posted by: clark202 | October 21, 2009 3:14 PM"

We can only hope that it IS Body Bag Game II.

Because [IF you remember...and oh, I do] Body-Bag Game I, was so embarrassing that it became the impetus for the team to stop, take stock of itself, and overachieve to make a Wild-Card playoff run later beating those SAME Iggles in the WC playoff round by a margin of 20-6.

The following season didn't exactly suck either (unless you were the Buffalo Bills...lol).

Damn, I'm old...[cue my walker...lol]

Posted by: ThinkingMan | October 21, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

ARE YOU BAMAS TALKING ABOUT HAYNESWORTH??!?

COME THE F#@K ON! DUDE HAS BEEN BEASTING OUT....

Y'all a bunch of negative p#$$ies hating on stupid ish. Dude has performed up to, if not, beyond expectations. Andre Carter and the crew are having freakin carrer years!

Get y'all head's out y'all a$$e$....

And if anotha MuthaFer talks about him laying on the ground......SO THE F#!K WHAT>?!??! WHO THE F%^K CARES!!?? He's in their 70% of the time. Above the league average. And he is giving our defense a rest.

RI....TIME TO GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE...

SH!T

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 21, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Oh good. I am so glad that in the last two days we've signed a new RB and WR to the practice squad. God forbid we bring in some OL! Not surprised, though, as just more evidence that Vinny is an absolute moron (by the way, I would guess he would pronounce the word, "maroon"). I heard reports that despite the OL issues that all of us fans were aware of for two seasons - smart boy Vinny was trying to close a trade yesterday for Buffalo's punt returner. Making matters worse, he was going to trade some of five remaining draft picks! Of course we wouldn't want to save those to build a new OL, replace one of our 4 RB/FB over 30, or for a QB since we will not have one on roster once the off season begins.

Snyder, schmuck, if you want any chance to start earning back the loyalty of lifelong Skins fans, step one is to FIRE CERRATO. I am sure his oral skills with you would be missed, but don't blow the chance to make the fans start feeling good again.

Posted by: dougbalt | October 21, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Snyder, schmuck, if you want any chance to start earning back the loyalty of lifelong Skins fans, step one is to FIRE CERRATO. I am sure his "oral" skills with you would be missed, but don't "blow" the chance to make the fans start feeling good again.

Posted by: dougbalt | October 21, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

"Its The Body Bag Game II.(Queue the Vincent Price laughter!)

Posted by: clark202 | October 21, 2009 3:14 PM"

We can only hope that it IS Body Bag Game II.

Damn, I'm old...[cue my walker...lol]

Posted by: ThinkingMan | October 21, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse
==========================================
ThinkingMan I too remember that game and watch B-mitch come in and QB. My guess is that next week we will have two 2 roster spots available because our QBs will be on IR.

Posted by: clark202 | October 21, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse