Redskins Alter Schedule Ahead of Storm

Got hatches? It's time to batten 'em. Got milk? Toilet paper? If not, it's time to run in a panic to the nearest store and raid the place. Then, in the time-honored DC tradition, abandon your car on the Beltway.

Yes, a storm (weather shabingus) is headed our way. Jason La Canfora calls in to report that the Redskins are doing the smart thing and moving their practice, originally scheduled to go from 1:20-3:15 up. Rather than doing the open locker room at noon, they'll practice at that time. They hope to get in two hours of work before the worst of the wind and rain hits. Players will then be available afterward.

We'll also check to see if the weather, which is going to be crummy* but less disruptive Friday (according to my boyz, the Capital Weather Gang), will change the team's practice schedule and departrure time for Dallas. They're supposed to practice from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday, with players available afterward.

*a layman's term the Capital Weather Gang would never use.

Meanwhile, give a read to the story behind Jason Taylor's surgery. Very unusual, very scary injury. Wise weighed in on Terrell Owens today, too.

By Cindy Boren  |  September 25, 2008; 9:32 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn Gets Ready for Whole New Rivalry
Next: An Unrestricted Preview of Skins-Cowboys

Comments

Yes, Yes a storm is brewing.

Posted by: Weather Man | September 25, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

When is Jason going to own up to the nonsense he tried to pull with Cerrato? I can't believe he still hasn't acknowledged it.

If Snyder or Cerrato ducked a question like this, JLC would crucify them.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | September 25, 2008 9:39 AM

We've all been killing JLa for it. The WaPo sports editor came out with a statement, and JLa has said that he's not allowed to talk about it anymore. Which means, of course, his sports editor ripped him a new one behind the scenes and he's going to keep his mouth shut for fear of losing his job.

Posted by: p1funk | September 25, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to see Bubba Tyer fight his Cowboys contemporary.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 25, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Zebra,
Assuming C. Rinehardt is going to replace the old man Pete Kendall somewhere down the road, if you had to draft an O-Lineman next year, whom would it be you had in mind for him to be groomed as the replacement of ? Thomas, Rabach or Samuels ? Who out of those 3 has the least amount of good years left in them ?

Posted by: Tender Viddles | September 25, 2008 9:41 AM

I believe Randy will be the next one playing backup.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 25, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Zorn's first game in this rivalry will be the last played between these teams in Texas Stadium (barring a playoff matchup),

By Jason La Canfora | September 25, 2008; 9:15 AM ET

Jasno,

We're planning on the playoff game being at FedEx, not in Dallas, dude.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 25, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Tender, I'll take a stab at the draft stuff, regarding the line. I agree, that you let Kendall walk after this year, and you insert Rhino in his place. I think by the end of this year, there should be a general consensus as to if Heyer can handle the RT spot or not, my personal feeling is that he can, but what do I know. Based on that conclusion is where you go draft wise, to me at least. If you think he's legit, then I think you draft a huge Guard to replace Thomas after next year. There are a couple of huge cats coming out, Loadholt, being one of them. Size, and youth, both lines is a priority.

Posted by: Greg | September 25, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Go Skins!

Posted by: Wilson Tigers Class of '87 | September 25, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Washingtonpost.com text alert: JLC is a d-bag

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Tender;

Rabach. We have Geisinger who is supposed to be 2nd at center, but dont know if he can be a center. We have Heyer and Jansen as well as Samuels so we are good at tackle.

I think Geisinger can mold into a Guard as well as Rheinhart.

We have NO centers on this team other than Rabach, but you dont take a 1st round center.

So try to find a serviceable one in the 3rd and if one is there, take an elite LT in the first round. if not, go D line 1st round to replace Griff. Maybe Monty can do it, maybe not. But having 2 good DT's is a must and Griff is on the down swing.

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 9:48 AM

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I think you draft a LT/LG guy who can do both. You groom Heyer to take over for Samuels then you ride Samuels as long as he's at a high level understanding he'll get hurt more often and Heyer will get reps.

Samuels Rhino Rabach Thomas Draft Pick

Heyer backs up both Tackles and if Thomas gets hurt you have a guy who can move inside and play right guard while Heyer plays right tackle.

I dunno my IQ is 0.0

Posted by: Skinz | September 25, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Sorry you draft a Rt/RG guy who can do both not left.

Posted by: Skinz | September 25, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I think some Redskins fans with free time on their hands should dress up as Cowboys fans and pull some pranks on Zorn. Or heckle the crap out of him for the next couple days. Or both. Let him know that this is not something exciting and fun, but downright hatred between the two. Let him feel that anger.

Posted by: psps23 | September 25, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

PSP;

Id rather sell my soul

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Beantown Greg and I certainly have had our bouts, but that dude is always solid on his O-line analysis.....

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 25, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see what Crummey can do, along the lines.

Posted by: Greg | September 25, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I think they should draft 2-3 OLine next year. So, they can learn to play together before being plugged in as starters one at a time in 2010. Then our offense will be set for a while, if the WRs come to form in the next few years.

Posted by: More OL | September 25, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Forgot to give you the one link you'll need to keep checking all day!

(the post should have a wind-sock cam...)

Posted by: Cindy | September 25, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

The smart thing is to practice in the elements in order to be prepared for such instances in live games.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 25, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Based on the book The Blind Side, I really hope that Oher is on our squad one way or another.

Posted by: Oher Fan | September 25, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 25, 2008 10:03 AM

Considering the Cowboys play in a dome, this is not something they need to worry about. All they need to worry about is Dallas -- nothing more.

Posted by: psps23 | September 25, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Don't know if it's been posted, but Chris Paul's new Redskins song is out.

Posted by: psps23 | September 25, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

Agreed I think Thomas is the next lineman to be replaced.

Chad will replace Kendall after this season.

I say you trade back out of the first round try to pick up as many picks as possible and go all O-Line and D_line, and hoepfully you find a couple starters and some good backups.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 25, 2008 10:03 AM

Posted by: psps23 | September 25, 2008 10:07 AM

Actually the Cowboys play in an open air stadium where the field is exposed to the elements but the seats are semi covered. If it rains in Dallas it will hit the field.

Posted by: Skinz | September 25, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I dunno my IQ is 0.0

Posted by: Skinz | September 25, 2008 9:58 AM

Skins,

Your IQ maybe zero, but I know you can read, Heyer is a starter why would he backup anyone.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Rinehart is the LG. Period.

This team needs to use as many picks on lineman (O and D) as possible. I hated the whole "Let's use all our 2nd rounders for pass catchers" approach, but you can NEVER have too many quality lineman (especially when all your starters qualify for AARP).

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 25, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | September 25, 2008 10:11 AM

That's true. I forgot the architect was high when he designed their stadium.

Posted by: psps23 | September 25, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

take an elite LT in the first round. if not
Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 9:48 AM

I think anytime you draft an LT you go 1st round. But I think Samuels has more than a couple good years left. I would put that on hold and draft a CB in the 1st and cross your fingers. Springs is getting up there in his 12th season although he is playing great you just never know. I do like the idea of drafting a Center in the 3rd (since we don't have a 2nd) to groom for Rabach's spot. This is assuming you think Geisinger will become an elite RG in this league when it's R.Thomas time to go. I'm thinking high round draft picks for Guards and Tackles (no later than a 4th-rd). We need an elite line like Dallas. Not a line full of Geisenger's. Hate to sound like I am writing him off without seeing him play, but if he was that special in the first place, he would have overtaken the aging R.Thomas by now, or at least we would have heard Buges raving about him in the preseason. Can't say having Geisinger on our team is reason to put off using a high draft pick on a Guard in the near future

Posted by: Tender Viddles | September 25, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

PSP;

Id rather sell my soul

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 10:00 AM

Wearing Cowboys gear is the equivalent.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 25, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 10:12 AM

He's only starting right now because Jansen was beyond awful. He still needs to prove he can anchor a side of the line without assistance from TEs or RBs.

Posted by: psps23 | September 25, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | September 25, 2008 10:11 AM

Until next year.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 25, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Is there anywhere (pay or not) that I could get a copy of the replay?
Posted by: Henry Hog | September 25, 2008 8:36 AM

Catch it on Replay, NFL Network On Demand! Only 10 minutes, though. I was watching it this morning while getting dressed.

I also watched the Skins-TB Wild Card Playoff game this morning On Demand. ST21 is a Beast. I forgot we still had Matt Bowen that year. He still sucked on Replay.....

Posted by: 4th is a PC | September 25, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

If I'm not mistaken, Thomas's deal ends after the 2009 season does it not? It could end up working out well, Kendall is up, so you let him walk, and replace him with younger, cheaper and bigger, Rhino.

Lather, rinse, repeat with Thomas.

Flound, agreed. Not to be talking draft 200 days in advance of it, but if they can end up with 2-seconds, and 2 thirds, I'd have no issues.

Enough of that, lets get to the business at hand, its Dallas week....

Posted by: Greg | September 25, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

No, no, no on a CB in the 1st round. You build from the inside, out. Not the other way around. Take the most dominant offensive or defensive lineman available in round 1. Doesn't matter what position he plays, we could use help on all of them.

Posted by: psps23 | September 25, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 25, 2008 10:03 AM

Posted by: psps23 | September 25, 2008 10:07 AM

Posted by: Skinz | September 25, 2008 10:11 AM

SNAP!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 25, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Cindy, there's something so peaceful about the snowcam when it's not snowy.

Is that ivy growing in the foreground? Seem to recall that once upon a time the snow depth measuring device was standing in mulch -- somebody needs to get some weeding done!

The tag line that never changes and never fails to amuse: "Oh, the weather outside is frightful!"

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 25, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

And Flounder dont be embarassed your gym teacher checks out all the guys but he really shouldnt laugh out loud when he hands you a wash cloth instead of a towel!

Posted by: Hoss | September 25, 2008 10:09 AM

Is there a reason why you are attacking me I do not remeber saying anything to you.

Plus I have not seen a gym class in a long time.

But I will play your little high school game, remeber those that brag about there wieners, or try to put down other peoples wieners, are usally doing it becasue they have very small wieners that do not get used very often.

Not sure that gym teachers should be handing you anything when you done with your shower, I guess you and your gym teacher were closer then I was to mine.

The JLC talk is over for me have not talked about it for a while, so take JLC whiner out of your mouth and move on to the game.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Tender;

I like what I see from Torrance. I think he is slowly taking over Smoot who is garbage right now. he always lines up 10 yards and they just wait until he moves and then they break opposite.

its like the QB tells the WR, i will stare you down, wait for him to move then break and i will throw... completion every time.

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

There is definetly a need for a good solid O-line draft but don't you think that D-line is the more immediate need?

Posted by: riggins44 | September 25, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Don't know if it's been posted, but Chris Paul's new Redskins song is out.

Posted by: psps23 | September 25, 2008 10:08 AM

psps23 - Can you provide me the name of that song so I can "you tube" it? I can't get the link from that site to open. Thanks.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 25, 2008 10:18 AM

I definitely agree with the build from the inside out theory but having a shutdown corner is about as crucial and hard to find as a Franchise QB. Which is why you go 1st round on a CB in hopes of getting that (think Champ Bailey). This and the fact that Top Flight CB's are commanding astronomical $$$ in the Free Agent Market if you can score a solid CB in the 1st and pay him rookie contract money it saves you from blowing all of your salary cap money
on 1 player that's not a QB. CB's in the 1st round..... it's a skill position with a high premium. Go O-Linemen with 2nd & 3rd round picks all day in the next 2 years and get you a good LB in the 4th round. By the way F-Dallas !

Posted by: Earl Sugarloaf III | September 25, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Skins,

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 10:12 AM

My feeling is he's really more of a left tackle. Maybe I should phrase it this way. Draft a RT/RG guy and let him fight for Heyer for the job. If Heyer gets the start but Samuels gets hurt. Move Heyer to LT and insert your draft pick.

Posted by: Skinz | September 25, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

How will Campbell redeem himself from his 4th quarter interception in Dallas last year while driving for the winning score? I sure would like to see him finish off the 'girls in their backyard.

I like what he(JC) has done the past two games in the 4th along with some creative play calling coming from the coaches. Lets keep the bandwagon rolling with another win.

Posted by: splitbill | September 25, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I agree with PSP with one caveat. If there is a CB very highly rated on the board, more so than a OL/DL you snap him up....wait it's Dallas week why are we having this convo again?

Posted by: Skinz | September 25, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

scamp, their new stadium has the same hole...

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 10:12 AM

Posted by: Skinz | September 25, 2008 10:30 AM

That makes more sense, but he is doing a good job at RT, and switching him later, could cause some problems for him the two positions are totally different.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

SNAP!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 25, 2008 10:19 AM

You really shouldn't be pointing out other people's mistakes Mr. I told you about Jason Campbell.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 25, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

scamp, their new stadium has the same hole...

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 10:32 AM

Actually I believe the roof is retractable. But I've been wrong before.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 25, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

scamp, their new stadium has the same hole...

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 10:32 AM

Actually there new stadium has a retactable roof.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

My feeling is he's really more of a left tackle

Skinz, agree to disagree. While I think Heyer has the skills to be a good to very good player, usually the LT is one of the most talented athletes on the field. Leave Heyer at RT, and draft for the middle.

Posted by: Greg | September 25, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Amazing what you miss when actually wokring.

1 on Zorn's quote in the last thread: "So if it's anything like the Seahawk and Raider rivalry, there's certain things that create that, and I'm just waiting for it."

The Seahawks have a Rivalry with Oakland? Really???

Jimmy Boy this is not some simple AFC NFC teams don't apreciate eachother because they are in the same time zone and both had silver head gear thing.

This is a from birth, blood lust filled, try and career eachothers star players, street brawling, mud slinging, war. Israel and Palistine will make peace, the Republicans and Democratas will jointly pick a president, and a Cobra will have babies with a mongoose before you see the Skins and boys break bread.

Tell Jim Zorn that if he can beat the Cowboys 2 times this year the rest of his record does not matter. If we lose to them twice odds are he will be fired.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 25, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

JLC aka Tubby Dork is having Q & A at 1:00 pm. Will there be any questions about his dust-up with Cerrato and the Redskins?

More importantly, will he man up and answer?

Posted by: Fast Eddie Felson | September 25, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

scamp, their new stadium has the same hole...

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 10:32 AM

Actually I believe the roof is retractable. But I've been wrong before.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 25, 2008 10:33 AM

But I'm right this time, I just checked, retractable roof.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 25, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

If Snyder or Cerrato ducked a question like this, JLC would crucify them.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | September 25, 2008 9:39 AM

Posted by: p1funk | September 25, 2008 9:46 AM

This is a fake controversy started by Vinny and not JLC. If I were Vinny, I'd be embarassed that I was singling out a beat reporter for something like this. Seems to me that he has better things to do and should be beneath somebody of Vinny's stature. It is all about ratings and stirring things up. That is all it is.

It never should have been a big deal. I'm sure JLC talks to folks at the NFL offices all the time and was probably just something he brought up on a normal call that he makes. Snyder likes to say that the post tries to be contrversial but the truth is it is Snyder, Vinny etc. creating controversy which they love. When the skins win something then Vinny can spread his wings to other "interests". Until then, stick to the Front Office and try to win a super bowl.

Posted by: NoSpinRedskinsFan | September 25, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 25, 2008 10:34 AM
-----------------------------

Dude, the Seahawks spent most of their team history - including Zorn's time at QB -in the AFC West with the Raiders.

Posted by: Al Davis | September 25, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 10:12 AM

Posted by: Skinz | September 25, 2008 10:30 AM

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 10:32 AM

Which is why I wanted to have him back up Samuels instead. He is better at pass blocking than Jansen and LT's are much harder (and expensive) to find. With his flexibility he is a perfect backup for both positions while spending his days being groomed for LT. If Samuels was hurt Heyer would move to LT right now anyway don't you think? I can't think of who else would be put there?

Posted by: Skinz | September 25, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2008 10:27 AM

Should be "Whoop on" or "We Whoop on".

Here's a link to the you-tube version:

Posted by: psps23 | September 25, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Thanks psps23.

Posted by: Chris | September 25, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Tom Tucker: What's the weather going to be like this weekend, Ollie?

Ollie: IT'S GONNA RAIN!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Heyer is supposed to be good at pass-blocking maybe a RG/RT high draft pick isn't a bad idea. We have Jansen as a back up now, but once he goes, we will be pretty thin at LT/RT depth. I wonder with the skills that Heyer has now, what round would he be drafted in for next April ?

Posted by: Tender Viddles | September 25, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Oh Babeee we're gettin closer...I can hardly contain myself at the thought of the Hammer and Glove working over the soft Redskins underbelly. The Hammer: Marion the Barbarian Jones, he of rugged, bullying power the likes of which makes Riggo look like little Joey Washington. The Glove: Felix Jones, silky smooth running through the Skins defenders like warm butter running down T.O.s mega box of Popcorn. Yaaahoooooooo.

Posted by: Darrell Dallas | September 25, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Al Davis | September 25, 2008 10:39 AM

That was back when the AFC west did not count as a part of the league in my mind.

Posted by: 35332 | September 25, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

No Marco Coleman was a DE, I think we did get this guy from the Dolphins though and then he went on to play at Denver. He was a DT in like 03' maybe 02'. Had a beast of a season for us. He wanted a big contract for us afterwards, but we were concerned about his bad back,so we let him walk he ended up in Denver for bigger money and sure enough his back gave out and Denver got burnt. Luckily we didn't. He came after Dana Stubblefield and Dan Wilkinson.

------------------------------------------
Not sure if anyone answered this yet, but the guy you are referring to is Darryl Gardner. Typical DT (like Sean Gilbert) who only plays hard during a contract year. That is why I am going to miss Griff after he hangs them up.

Posted by: Matt | September 25, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Tell Jim Zorn that Seattle doesn't have a rival. The only rival may be the Cardinals because they are one of the few teams that have been able to produce as crappy a team tradition.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Darrell Dallas | September 25, 2008 10:48 AM

No wonder you are over here. Your so retarded that even inbred, toothless Dallas fans wouldn't let you on their blog. Comparing Barber to Riggins, please.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 25, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to see Bubba Tyer fight his Cowboys contemporary.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 25, 2008 9:47 AM

Bring him on:

Posted by: Britt | September 25, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Get rid of JLC!!!!

Posted by: Fire JLC | September 25, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

It would have to be Thomas, Samuals we will find will be irreplacable through a draft. It very hard to find a surefire LT in the draft when there is one there gonna go early , very early Jake Long #1 overall pick early.

-From reading the book the Blind Side I dont know if I wwould want Oher, he might start crying or disappear or something, he still seemed to have some deep emotinal problems.

-Someone need to tell Zorn NEVER-EVER to compare Skins V Cowboys to Seahawks V Raiders. Thats doing a dis service to our team and the intense rivalry this is, sea v oak you gotta be kidding me no one looks at that as an amazing rivalry.

Posted by: Stu | September 25, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Is Seattle Oakland still a rivalry? Would you even put it in the top 12 NFL rivalries?

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 25, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

The snow cam makes me happy, too, Nate. I enjoy seeing what's happening in that back yard....It always annoys the suits when I link to it. Sorry, suits!

Posted by: Cindy | September 25, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Possibly once amusing, but now officially tired:

The gay cowboy thing
The inbred thing
The toofless thing
The doublewide thing
The bestiality thing
The bandwagon thing
The botched hold thing
The Cabo thing
The Jessica curse thing
The playoff game thing
The hole in the roof thing
The criminal behavior thing
The overweight coach thing
The coach in waiting thing
The -6 yards rushing thing
The That's My Quarterback thing
The LaVar-Aikman thing
The media darlings thing
The lizard-faced owner thing

Posted by: SMACK | September 25, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Yes ! Darryl Gardner that was it. One of the best DT years I have seen out of a Redskin in so long, similar to Griff's 04' season.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 25, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

i didnt even know oakland a seattle had any sort of rivalry..

Posted by: FAB88 | September 25, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Pearlman Interview - Which player interested you the most writing this book and why?

"Oh, Charles Haley. He peed in a teammate’s car, masturbated in the locker room, very manic, loved, hated, loathed, tolerated. The ultimate merging of tragic and victorious."

Pearlman writes:

Haley would stroll up to an unsuspecting (49er) teammate, whip out his phallus, and repeatedly stroke it in his face. Players initially laughed it off…

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I suspect the Seahawks-Raiders rivalry might have been sort of a one-way thing since the Raiders have such a long and bitter history with the Broncos and Chiefs, and even the Chargers -- all four were in the AFL and have been playing each other since 1960.

The Shehawks franchise was created in 1976 and moved from the NFC to the AFC in 1977 (interesting... I didn't know they had previously been in the NFC until I just read it). So the Seahawks-Raiders rivalry, such as it was, would only have been from 1977-2001.

Not saying it wasn't a big deal to Zorn and others... also, this notion of dismissing someone's claim to a "rivalry" makes me more than a little uncomfortable, since I remember how often the Skins were dismissed as the Cowboys rivalry during that unbearable stretch when we lost 112 straight games to them... barf...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 25, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Oh no, now I've gone and done it. I've hurt screwball1975's feelings. Ahhhh, I'm so sorry. Have a good cry and then try to distract yourself from the pain. You might try some comfort food. Do you like pancakes and bacon? What about a couple of donuts? A liedown?

Posted by: Darrell Dallas | September 25, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Top rivalries in the NFL. Opnions?

I think
1. WAS v DAL
2. GB v Min
3. Pit v Cle
4. Phi v NYG
5. Chi v GB
6. KC v Oak
There are others but these are the ones I think everyone recognizes that are big ones.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 25, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

i didnt even know oakland a seattle had any sort of rivalry..

Posted by: FAB88 | September 25, 2008 10:58 AM
-------------------------

Jeez, there must be a lot of kids on this message board.

Zero knowledge of NFL history.

No, Hawks/Raiders was NOT Skins/Cowboys, but it WAS a rivalry nonetheless. And Tom Flores coached both teams.

Posted by: Curt Warner | September 25, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

112 is alot of games in a row.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

i didnt even know oakland a seattle had any sort of rivalry..

Posted by: FAB88 | September 25, 2008 10:58 AM

That's okay. Coach Zorn didn't know that the Redskins colors were burgundy and gold.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 25, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

The playoff game thing

Posted by: SMACK | September 25, 2008 10:57 AM

C'mon Smack, the 'girls haven't won a playoff game and that is how all football teams are measured. Did they make the playoffs and how far did they go? While the others may be old and tired, this one still must be a bit painful for the 'girls fan to hear.

Posted by: splitbill | September 25, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Darrell Dallas | September 25, 2008 11:01 AM

This dude is pretty funny, I must say.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, SMACK... it's a wee bit embarrassing that we Skins fans haven't found more creative ways to express our disdain for your beloved franchise, the one whose silver and blue costumes elicit such an immediate, visceral negative reaction from me.

(I never thought I could develop such a deep and abiding aversion to one of the simplest shapes there is, the five-pointed star. That's like hating the circle. See what your team does to me? Sheesh.)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 25, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Good list, Alex. What's the best non-divisional rivalry? Dallas-Pittsburgh?

Posted by: SMACK | September 25, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Cyncity,

You channeling Billy Walsh there? Fan of entourage?

Posted by: Skinz | September 25, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

How dare anyone be compared to me? I am the best, the Diesel baby!

Posted by: riggins44 | September 25, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I've noticed we've gone back to wearing the all-white uniforms again this year. Has anyone on the team talked about it? Was it done because of the heat in the early games, or is it here to stay?

Posted by: Calvin Klein | September 25, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Zeese;

hate to do it, but Bmore-Pitt is a great rivalry.

Seems SD- Den will be a good one too.

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I think one of the best non-divisional rivalries (at least in the 10 years or so) is Tampa Bay/Washington.

Posted by: Mike Alstott | September 25, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 25, 2008 11:06 AM

Probably more judicious than hating the 6-pointed thingy, or the upside down triangle. Personally I hate the rhombus. If there were a rhombus team, I'd hope they'd never, ever win another playoff game.

Posted by: SMACK | September 25, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Actually, Darrell, while you didn't hurt my feelings (and I like the cut of your jib), I would like some pancakes and bacon. And a couple of donuts. Are you anywhere near Portland, OR?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 25, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Nate,
"since I remember how often the Skins were dismissed as the Cowboys rivalry during that unbearable stretch when we lost 112 straight games to them... barf..."
I assume that is 12 games as this is gonna be game # 95 I think.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 25, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Where is loco mullin when you need him???

Posted by: 4th is a PC | September 25, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Dexter Manley vs. The Men in the White Coats?

Posted by: SMACK | September 25, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | September 25, 2008 10:39 AM

Who then would play RT, Jansen will get JC killed so I am happy with him a RT for now.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Charles Haley.....JMU DUkes babyeeee!!!!!!

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 25, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I thought Jansen was practicing at LG?? He's going to be the next man up.

OWNED

Posted by: 4th is a PC | September 25, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I hate weather forecasts.

Posted by: not loco mullin | September 25, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

"Ya don't need a weatherman to know that JLC blows...."

Posted by: Robert Zimmerman | September 25, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Haley was a Psychopath. Than again that's the Cowboy way.

Posted by: Rafear | September 25, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

It's a little early to be talking about future draft needs, but...

Next year, the Skins will require younger backups at CB, RG, DT, RT, and SLB. In 2-3 years they will need replacements for Springs, Thomas, Griffin, Jansen, and Washington. They should also try to draft a backup C and WLB.

They should either use the (hopefully low) 1st round pick on a CB, DT, or LB; or trade down like last year.

Posted by: Siris | September 25, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Calvin Klein | September 25, 2008 11:07 AM

They are 2-0 in them keep wearing them until you loose, although we will have to wear Burgandy at Dallas because there wear there white jersey at home.

But to anwser your question I think heat was the reason.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

The Hammer and the Glove also describes perfectly the loving making style of me and Charles Haley. First, he'd sack me -- the Hammer. Then he'd... Well, it makes me shiver and suck my thumb when I remember the Glove... God bless that rat crazy, lovable, sadistic, unpredictable man!

Posted by: Darrell Dallas | September 25, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Dexter was my boy, I wanted to get him into the 5 o'clock club but Grimey wouldn't have it.

Posted by: diesel | September 25, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Skinz. Luv 'Entourage.'
As far as rivalries go, the AFC West has some fierce ones, involving whatever combination of teams not named San Diego.

Posted by: Cindy | September 25, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I thought Jansen was practicing at LG?? He's going to be the next man up.

OWNED

Posted by: 4th is a PC | September 25, 2008 11:12 AM

He's here until 2010 due to cap considerations.

PWNED

Posted by: Salary Cap | September 25, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Good grief, guys, I meant that stretch of losing to the Cowboys felt like 112 straight games. I am intellectually aware that it was only ten straight losses endured from '97 to '02.

Also, barf.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 25, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Burgundy jerseys and Gold pants would be great, old school.

Posted by: riggins44 | September 25, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Burgundy jerseys and Gold pants would be great, old school.

Posted by: riggins44 | September 25, 2008 11:19 AM
--------------------------

Agreed. And let's return to the dark burgundy helmet with the spear logo.

Posted by: Joe Don Looney | September 25, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

whole lotta turd burglering going on up here.

Posted by: call it like i see it | September 25, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I am not saying those are the only rivalries and agree that the others posted are big ones.
SMACK in terms of the intra Conference rivals. I always think the battle of the Mettowlands and the SF Oak rivalry's due to locations. Dal v Pit is another one though. DC Bal is becomeing one.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 25, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

(repost...I can't keep up with these guys)

Zebra,

It's been a tough week for your fellow striped one Mr. Hochuli so way to carry the flag. Nice analysis. I agree with most of what you say, but I am pretty sure the whistled had blown before they snapped it.

Now, onto this weekend. I think that P1funk is sadly corect about 53. We'll see over the next couple weeks, if he can't play and play well in these two divisional tilts, that doesn't bode well. Alfred Fincher, anyone?

I think the key to this game for us will be turnovers and special teams. If we can beat them in both these areas - a considerable task considering their punter's leg is made of rubber and Nick Folke is no joke - then we have a chance. We will simply not shut down their offense, so getting at least a plus one in the turnover differential is essential. This figures to be a reasonable endeavor given that we are four to the good so far this year. If we will win those two battles, I say we may narrowly win the war 24-23...if JC throws his first pick, we don't force Romo into some bad throws and we don't contain Pacman/Felix on returns, I say we lose 31-20. Way to take a firm stance huh??!

HTTR, 3 days!!

Posted by: Notorious LMG | September 25, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

"Loving making" -- sorry Skins fans, I must have been channeling Borat there. Of course I meant "love making." That is, between me and Charles Haley, cause we're into that donchya know.

Posted by: Darrell Dallas | September 25, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I would actually go Burgandy on Burgandy for the Dallas game, mix it up a little.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mike Alstott | September 25, 2008 11:08 AM

Speaking of which, all the media was making such a big deal about Denver going for the 2 pter for a win against the Chargers as if this had never been done before. Didn't Tampa do this to us a few years ago?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 25, 2008 9:46 AM

It doesn't meant that at all, necessarily. If Jason was calling simply to find out whether Cerrato's discussion of other players and execs is tampering, then what's so wrong with that? He's doing his job as a journalist. If he called because he was trying to get the guy fired, then that's a problem. Although, I can't say the Skins WITHOUT Cerrato would be all that bad.

Posted by: Colin | September 25, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

i didnt even know oakland a seattle had any sort of rivalry..

Posted by: FAB88 | September 25, 2008 10:58 AM

Yeah, folks tend to forget now but Seattle used to be in the AFC West. That's why there was a rivalry between the two; when Zorn played in the early 80s, both teams were pretty good and probably vying for supremacy of that division.

Best non-division rivalries: 'Skins/Bucs in the last 10 years or so, Colts/Pats (even though they used to be in the same division for a long time), and Steelers/Cowboys.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 25, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 11:25 AM

I don't think we can, one of the things I did pick up from the Vinny Show was that they did not register that option with the NFL begining of the year.

Suposedly the NFL now requires you to say what unies you will be whearing all 8 home games to start the year.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 25, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

--------------------------

Agreed. And let's return to the dark burgundy helmet with the spear logo.

Posted by: Joe Don Looney | September 25, 2008 11:21 AM
----------------------------------------
Not really a fan of that look but the feather was cool. I would like to see the gold helmet with the current redskin logo, for a change of pace. However, it is tough to screw with such an iconic look.

Posted by: riggins44 | September 25, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Type of person who would likely root for the Cowboys: General Chuck Yeager, Rosa Parks, the Beatles, Betty Crocker, Ronald Reagan, Sydney Portier, John Wayne, Dag Hammerskjold, Andy Taylor, Stevie Wonder, the Fonz, J.R. Ewing (team owner), Judy Garland, Bjorn Borg, George Foreman, Johnny Cash, James Taylor, Hercule Poirot, Bob Hope, Earth, Wind and Fire.

Type of person who would likely be attracted to the Skins: Mr. Carlin on the old Bob Newhart Show, Sarah Palin, Barbara Streisand, Rush Limbaugh, Al Sharpton, Tony Kornheiser, Richard Nixon, Dick Cheney, Barney Fife, Joan Collins, Charles Haley, Joan Rivers, Leon Spinks, both Clintons, both Bush's, Kojak, Roseanne Barr, Jessie Ventura, John McEnroe.

Posted by: Darrell Dallas | September 25, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

If Jansen starts this week due to Heyer's injury, I think everybody will see that he'd needed the extra time for the foot to heal. If he dominates at right tackle on the road at Dallas against their D-Line, he should remain the starter. He can still dominate when healthy.

Posted by: 1bad442 | September 25, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mike Alstott | September 25, 2008 11:08 AM

Does anyone know why, we played Tampa twice in the regular season in 1994, I thought you only ever played Divs. teams twice in a year.

I know this was a long time ago but i remeber it happening and never got an explanation.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I totally concur splitbill. We may -like all teams' fans- cast some tired, lame aspersions at our bitterest of rivals...touting LaVar's hit on Aikman 8 yrs later would suggest we haven't made any noteworthy hits in the ensuing near decade...doublewide, inbred...well that's all good and well but not very inspired. However, the playoff drought is such a sweet measure of satisfaction for all us members of Redskins Nation. For all your thuggery, your Tuna Hunting, your T.O. drama, your Hollywood QB...you guys have zero wins in the second season in 12 years. That is beautifully pathetic, prodigiously inept. Looking forward to a good, tough game this Sunday.

HTTR

Posted by: Notorious LMG | September 25, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------
Let it go, god youre like a bunch of women! Lets talk Dallas week for Chr*sts sake.

Posted by: diesel | September 25, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Darrell Dallas | September 25, 2008 11:30 AM
----------------------------------

John Wayne was a fag.

Posted by: Miller | September 25, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Hilarious, but I can't see Streisand and Cheney ever agreeing on anything.

Dick Cheney, although one of the luckiest people in the world, has no use for people.

Posted by: SMACK | September 25, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Darriell is a bigger idiot than Larry Michael

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 25, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

im with you ibad. Jansen needed to get fully healed dont forget he has been dominate, him being a vetran he understands the importance of playing as much as he can while its still in him. I think he can regain old form, a little bench fire up his a&s can only help. dont count Jansen out yet he still has plenty to say about the future of the Skins.

Posted by: Stu | September 25, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to see Bubba Tyer fight his Cowboys contemporary.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 25, 2008 9:47 AM

I think you mean counterpart.

Posted by: Devo | September 25, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 11:25 AM

Really make a statement -I'm thinking burgundy jerseys, no pants. Should be good for at least one fumble by Tony, won't be able to keep his hands to himself

Posted by: Notorious LMG | September 25, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Type of person who would likely be attracted to the Skins: ... Barney Fife ...

Posted by: Darrell Dallas | September 25, 2008 11:30 AM

Laughing for obvious reasons.

Posted by: Blog Historian | September 25, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Cheney is an Oilers fan.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 25, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

If Vinny has time for a radio show, does he have time to post anonymously on this blog?

Posted by: Vinny? | September 25, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

The only Redskins I like, sir, are redskin peanuts, which of course I bake in to each one of my... well, you know. Kisses,

Dick Cheney

Posted by: Dick Cheney | September 25, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Jansen ought to be able to handle Grandpa Ellis. The two of them can play dominos while the other twenty battle it out.

Posted by: SMACK | September 25, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Devo,

contemporary works too, although I thought this was a Redskins blog, not a tryout for the next editor of Roget's...in fact I'm a little disappointed that I even replied to that. Let's move on.

HTTR

Posted by: Notorious LMG | September 25, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Of course Jansen figures into the Skins plans this season. It's highly unlikely the team will get through the next 13 games with the 5 starting O-linemen now playing.

So Jansen will be called up at some point.

Posted by: Jeff Bostic | September 25, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Pardon the Interruption, I'm Tony Kornheiser and I love the 'Skins. I'm also a big time sports celebrity so you can suck my big crank, you schmuck.
p.s. I'd love to get me some Jenna Bush.

Posted by: Kornheiser | September 25, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK | September 25, 2008 11:35 AM
******

Particularly seventy year old lawyers. Everyone knows that lawyers require every bit a 12 gauge and not that little pea shooting 28 bore Cheney used.

Posted by: splitbill | September 25, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Aya shurly don’t got nuttin gainst dem land lubbin Cowboys, but dem Raiders and Buccaneers sure do annoy me wit der constant raft attacks.

Posted by: Dag Hammerskjold | September 25, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

A few threads back Zebra made some good points about Sunday's game, including Thomas's negated TD.

But one thing that I haven't seen discussed up here or anywhere else is that the nullification of Thomas's TD was an incorrect call. By rule, "when a team scores by touchdown, field goal, extra point, or safety and either team commits a personal foul, unsportsmanlike conduct, or obvious unfair act during the down, the penalty will be assessed on the following kickoff."

Posted by: LH | September 25, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jeff Bostic | September 25, 2008 11:40 AM
---------------------------------------
Get out! Is that really Bostic, where the hell have you been?

Posted by: Kornheiser | September 25, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

So LH we should just change all the scors to have us with 30 points (since they never kicked a EP).

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 25, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

LH,

There had to be something else to it, or the Skins coaching staff, or the commentators would have said something.

Posted by: Flounder | September 25, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LH | September 25, 2008 11:42 AM
-----------------------------------

I guess it depends on what Heyer was called for. If it was hands to the face, the play doesn't count, but if it was "unnecessary roughness" or "unsportsmanlike conduct" than the play should count. I think.

At any rate, the idea that the officials blew a call isn't surprising. I think the zebras are off to a terrible start so far this season.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 25, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy | September 25, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------
Wow, good post. Get Vinny on that right away.

Posted by: Kornheiser | September 25, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zebra | September 25, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

p.s. I'd love to get me some Jenna Bush.

Posted by: Kornheiser | September 25, 2008 11:40 AM
--------------------------------
Kornheiser you maggot, we still haven't forget how you were on your knees during the eagles-girls game last week with your head between Jerry Jones' legs getting fisted by Romo in Dallas' new stadium. You suck! Go back to New York!

Posted by: Marv Albert | September 25, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Marv my boy, dont you have a woman to rape, beat and repeatedly bite? Worry about your own deviant behavior and allow me my own pecadillos.

Posted by: Kornheiser | September 25, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. And let's return to the dark burgundy helmet with the spear logo.

Posted by: Joe Don Looney | September 25, 2008 11:21 AM
----------------------------------------

Posted by: riggins44 | September 25, 2008 11:28 AM

I like the curly R helmet.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 25, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------

Korny, I bet you typed that as you wipe the cuckold off your cheeks from Jerry sketting on your face.

Posted by: Marv Albert | September 25, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse