Position Battle: Strong-Side LB

If camp opened today, this would be a battle between Alfred Fincher and H.B. Blades, two guys who are the favorites although neither is ideally constructed for the role.

Blades and Fincher come in with limited starting experience in this system, though both have proven their worth on special teams. Both have strong tackling instincts as well as distinct limitations. Blades was a late-round pick in large part because of his size; the Skins hoped he could learn from London Fletcher (another smaller middle linebacker), contribute on teams and play in the league for a long time. Expecting him to start at strong-side LB in the rugged NFC East - as run-heavy a division as there is - was never really the idea.

Having Blades play out in space, with a suspect group of left ends in front of him, is dangerous. His size isn't as much of an issue on the inside, especially with the potential for big tackles Albert Haynesworth and Cornelius Griffin to be eating up space in front of him. But with no certain prospect on the roster to replace Marcus Washington on the strong side, Blades may have to try to fit.

It's hard to imagine Blades being able to do anything to defend against big tight ends, and match-up problems could be plenty. Fincher's role in pass coverage would be sketchy as well. Fincher certainly plays mean, hits hard and has great enthusiasm - all of which serves him well - but he also plays a little out of control at times and taking 65 snaps a game at this position in this system could be a big problem.

Neither of these guys is a proven commodity and with either in the lineup, behind say Renaldo Wynn, I would anticipate opponents going right at this side of the defense.

The wild card could be getting Washington to come back for a veteran-minimum deal, but other players have told me that he was hurt by his release and is not interested in coming back. Some think he'd retire rather than come back here on a one-year try-out deal.

And, with some value at linebacker in this draft, maybe the team will use the 13th pick there. I continue to believe they should get a top tackle if one is available at that spot, but linebackers, like the USC contingent, are sure to be on the board then. I think that's a little high for them, but Pete Carroll's word carries a lot of weight here.

By Jason La Canfora  |  March 30, 2009; 10:28 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins by Position
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Position Battle: Left DE
Next: Preseason Opponents Set (Update 2)

Comments

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by: alex35332 | March 30, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

So, the protest worked rather quickly.

For the 13th pick in the draft:

Pro SLB.

Neutral on DE.

Very Anti-Tackle.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 30, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

To the College FB fans. I know that USC picks on the O side of the ball tend to not live up to their potential, but what about on D?

Posted by: alex35332 | March 30, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Somebody get LaVar on the phone asap!

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 30, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I am

pro-T
neutral-De,LB(m&o),G
Anti-QB,RB,WR,TE,C,DT,CB,S,K,P

Posted by: alex35332 | March 30, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

LA56 is a WLB.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 30, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

And then the rookie has the same problems as these guys.

The only way to get experience is to play, there are plenty of guys that start every year for teams and they have no experience.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 30, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

LaVar is a living lesson on why bridge burning is a bad idea.

Posted by: JLaCanfora | March 30, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

LaVar is a living lesson on why bridge burning is a bad idea.

Posted by: JLaCanfora | March 30, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

LaVar is a living lesson on why bridge burning is a bad idea.

Posted by: JLaCanfora | March 30, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Everybody wants to go young but know one wants to give young guys a chance to play.

Fincher would probably be a good fit he has the size, and for once we would have a hungray young guy willing to play his a$$ off.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 30, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I think we need a LB more than a OL

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 30, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

13th Pick : BPA, which should be a defensive end

3rd rounder: Marcus Freeman could be a possibility.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 30, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

LaVar is a living lesson on why bridge burning is a bad idea.

Posted by: JLaCanfora | March 30, 2009 10:50 AM |

Whatever, what team is lavar playing for oh thats right he is out of football.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 30, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I doubt at this point LaVar could come back. If he could I would be interested to see it though as a rotation guy.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 30, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Tyson Smith.

I am for...
OT, OLB, DE, CB

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 30, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

MWash was hurt alot the past 2 years when the team needed him and he still got paid for it.

Everybody's feelings get hurts. I mean mine got hurt when I was laid off after doing 3 different jobs at once, but you gotta keep it moving.

Why retire if you can start for a SB contender and you are already set for life?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 30, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

LA56 is a WLB.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 30, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Don't bother me with facts, just get him on the phone!

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 30, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

If Jason Taylor goes back to Miami, I think the Redskins should file conspiracy, colusion, and rackeetering charges against Bill Parcells.......

Posted by: 4thFloor

For what, being smarter than Vinnie Cerrato? If that’s a crime, there gonna have to build a bigger jail.

Posted by: TheCork | March 30, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

When we get a new post, we'll do a tally to see who thinks we should draft T, DE, or SLB with #13.

I'm getting early to put my hat in for SLB. We got Stop Gaps in the other positions for the year.....

Posted by: 4thFloor

Posted by: TheCork | March 30, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

i think we go LB at 13... b/w heyer and jansen we can make do. draft an RT in 3rd

Posted by: mopp04 | March 30, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I like Cushing alot...I know that we need an OL, but I feel that we can fill that void with a patchwork team and through rotation, LB they will run all day on us if we dont have a strong LB to stand behind the worst signing this year: Wynn.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 30, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Robert Ayers

Posted by: TWISI | March 30, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | March 30, 2009 10:55 AM

When Arizona picked up Kurt Warner, you can't tell me they didn't initially think of him as a stop gap player?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 30, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

im beginning to think that if all 4 top T are gone, orakpo will be gone and raji will be gone, by the time the Skins pick at 13. I believe the best value is to trade back and pick up an extra pick in the 2nd round or something,,,u can still get one of those LB's and then in the 2nd you can get a top quality center, which is a need of the Redskins.....it looks like there are 8-10 top quality players, then a drop off, if our "elite prospects" are gone by 13, trade down and get 2 players, LB and C, instead of 1 monster T, who prob won't be there

Posted by: retroskins14 | March 30, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

lb at 13, would be awful...no one apart from Curry/Orakpo worth that high a pick....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 30, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork |

Moron. It's "They're." Where'd you go to school, Rutgers?

Posted by: TheCork | March 30, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Greg - You don't think Cushing is worth the pick?

10 Bonus bucks says NE or another team jumps in front of us at #12 to pick him up.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 30, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Jeff George wants to come back.... can't we cut Cooley and Landry to make room for him?
-ExtremeSkins/SportsGuru post

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 30, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

what else would be available at 13? If you dont like a LB at 13 B-Greg, what else is there if no one will trade picks with us???? I get where you are coming from, but what other options are there...besides Vincenzo drafting a QB, b/c he is an idiot...

I think all the OL will be gone by 13th, with all the trades and FA movement.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 30, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

4th, not at 13.

Zero chance of NE doing something like that.

They have a 1, and Three 2's, they're sitting pretty.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 30, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

mhartz, I'm convinced that someone is gonna fall to 13, either Oher, or Smith.

If they don't fall, then I think perhaps the team needs to look DL.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 30, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Regarding Trade down. Yeah, I know it takes two to tango. But this team among it’s serious needs, has at least three positions that must be addressed.

Despite the spending spree on defense, two of the three are defense, SLB and DE.

The ‘skins need an OLineman. A big question that must be answered by draft day is can Jansen play anything close to how he played in his prime? Also, is Rinehart a late bloomer or a wasted pick?

If the Redskins are lucky, someone will slip to 13 that a team lower down is desperate to have and the ‘skibns can extract some picks for it of greater value than the point chart suggests.

If they can address two of the three needs with a lower first rounder and a high two, I think they should be able to bring in a good OLineman and/or LB and/or DE.

Who that should be, none of us are qualified to say..not hat that should stop speculation. That decision will be made by football experts and…

OMG, the ‘skins are doomed.

Posted by: TheCork | March 30, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Put me down for one of the top 4 OT at 13, if none are there, take Orapko, if he's not there try to trade down, if no takers, go with Cushing.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 30, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

"I just don't see the quality in LB this year. As the NFL Network reported, all the USC linebackers were 2 down players. On third down they came off the field. I just don't see that translating well in the NFL."

I completely agree. Next year is the year for LB's in the 1st round. Cushing is not worth the 13th pick.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 30, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

If we don't draft a RT at 13 we will have another 8-8 season.

Posted by: Salinas1 | March 30, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Oher is going to be there at #13 because he is not a top 15 pick.

Smith won't make it out of the top 8.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 30, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Wish we had that 2nd rounder so we had another valuable pick to try and fill one of our multiple gaping roster holes...

wonder who we're going to trade next year's day-1 picks for? Maybe Jay Cutler? T.O. after he burns bridges in Buffalo?

Posted by: smutsboy | March 30, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Salinas1 but if the big 4 OTs are gone, we have to go OLB.

Posted by: smutsboy | March 30, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

So, for the trade-back contingent, do you trade back at a loss (taking less "draft points" than the #13 spot would typically command in the official NFL draft point calculator (housed in the helmet that protects Jimmy Johnson's hair, with the backup mainframe tucked in the ball of skin leftover on Jerrah Jones' collar from when they pulled his face back)?
Or are you waiting until the last minute of clock time at the draft, seeing if someone will pay extra (maybe even including Bonus Points) for the privilege of #13?

Posted by: daggar | March 30, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I really dont think any of the OL will be available at 13th, almost all the teams in front of us have need at OL. Chiefs needed a QB, but picked up Cassel, Lions might take Smith...

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 30, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I agree with greg;

4th, NE doesnt jump on anything... they lay in wait

Posted by: Zeebs | March 30, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

The patriots have 11 picks this year. BUMMER!!!!

Posted by: BurgwithaU | March 30, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | March 30, 2009 10:55 AM

Posted by: 4thFloor

I sit corrected, done in by my own over-generalization. (Even tho I could note the Cards thought they had a starting QB and brought Warner in as a "backup," not a Stopgap. Also, Warner had once been a league MVP, an honor that has eluded guys like Fincher, Wynn and Blades.)

Still, let me rephrase.

The Redskins Stop Gaps don’t mean playoffs. Ergo… Trade down... The ol’ Maroon and purple needs to build for the Fuchia.

"

Posted by: TheCork | March 30, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

And I say take a LB in the first, but only after we drop down... say 26+ and get a low 2nd and maybe a 4th

Posted by: Zeebs | March 30, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

They have 11 picks, but they wont use all 11 of those picks. I could easily see them trading their first, for a first next year, and then using all 3 2nd round picks.

They don't have a lot of holes to fill.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 30, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

When I go to bed at night, I pray for two things:

1) One of the four big 4 OTs is available at 13, and

2) Devin Thomas has a great year

I would die happy

Posted by: Salinas1 | March 30, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

See greg, i think you highlight what NE knows and we apparently dont, they have holes to fill, just not this year, so they draft for the future.

We need our first rounders to always produce the year we draft them..

Posted by: Zeebs | March 30, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Why are feelings getting involved? I thought this was a man's game.

If we are playing the feelings game I think the fans can trump the players, as we(it seems) care more about this organization than said players. And we pay out the a$$ to watch, not the other way around.

Posted by: theFreshinAU | March 30, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

-ExtremeSkins/SportsGuru post

Posted by: Rypien11

Got a URL?

Posted by: alex35332 | March 30, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

New England is really, really good.

They have 3 rings in 6 years and were two plays away from winning two more. (Tyree catch, Troy Brown running wrong route on 3rd down vs Colts). And Id make them the favorite to win this year.

Yikes.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 30, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Alex - that was a joke on my part, sorry.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 30, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

alex,

The jury is still out on Keith Rivers (hines ward's crack back victim) and Sedrick Ellis from last year's draft. I am going to list some names and you tell me what you think.
Frostee Rucker
Kenechi Udeze (cancer)
Will Poole
Manny Wright
Larry Jackson
Terrell Thomas
Mike Patterson
Darnell Bing
Shawn Cody
and our own Dallas Sartz

They did well with:
Lofa Tatupa
Troy P

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 30, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

FYI game 15 next season is the 1000th regular season game of the Washington Redskins (not counting the 57 games of the Boston Braves/Redskins era)

So hurry up and lets get the 1000th game jerseys in production. I am thinking it should combine something from every uniform the team has ever had.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 30, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

They don't have a lot of holes to fill.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 30, 2009 11:18 AM

Have you seen the age of their LB Corps? Even after trading Vrabel to KC?

NE will trade up, if need be to obtain the LB they like.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 30, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

4th, its not gonna happen, I'm telling you, they're sitting pretty in this draft...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 30, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Couple thoughts today:

1. On the subject of LBs, I'd listen to Pete Carroll before I listened to Jason La Canfora. No offense Jason.

2. On the team's #1 pick, they should go with best available player at three positions: OT, LB and DE. If all the best OTs are gone by our pick, don't reach for an OT. Take best LB/DE still on the board. The ideal scenario would a trade down the someone like the Pats and pick up a later pick in round 1 and a round 2 pick. Team made terrible deal (in hindsight) trading #2 pick for Jason Taylor. He was a zero for the skins and the Dolphins will end up with a 5-10 year pro using the Skins #2 pick.

Posted by: dlenehan | March 30, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

4th Floor--

That sucks about getting laid off. Kinda puts the rest of this stuff in perspective. I know I come across as a pompous A-hole more often than not here, but I really am sorry.

I can understand your distress at some of these overpaid athletes walking away from sure money. Poster child for that this year has to be Jason Taylor, unless there's someone else who left $8.5 mil on the table to spend more time home with the kids.

I wonder though, if Marcus' low ball contract would have any sure money at all? I can understand why he might not want to come back as camp fodder for whatever they pay those guys in August, then maybe getting dinged and then get cut.

I suspect there's some resentment at the money being paid Haynesworth and Hall, too.

Marcus will need his knees for the rest of his life. I have to think players who retire early, rather than late, may be the smart ones.

Posted by: TheCork | March 30, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

KingJoffeJoffer
That list kinda tells me what I was expecting.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 30, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Let's look at it this way:

Say, MWash is still crying in the closet and doesn't want to sign with us, we pick an OT with the #13 and get some future LB projects in the later round who won't contribute too much this year. And we don't pick up any FA SLB.

We would be SJK'd at the LB core because we need HB backing up LFB's old body and Rocky's knees are still questionable.

Do you really think Vinny will let that happen after signing AH to a fat payday? I think he's smarter than that.

That's why all signs point to SLB at #13 or some trade combo to equal that involing the pick......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 30, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Cork - Thanks, but I like you better when you insert sarcasim and lowblows at me. I appreciate the sympthy, but I am back on the payroll, though so it's all good.

The way JLaC wrote it up was that he would rather retire then play for a non-gaureented contract with us. He said nothing about health, so that's why I said what I said.

If it was health, then he would need to do what's best for him.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 30, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

New England most certainly has holes to fill at LB and DB. They'll also likely select a WR to fill the hole left by Gaffney, and possibly a RB, as they don't seem too high on Maroney right now.

New England is also feeling the crunch to "win now", as the evidence of Brady's injury shows he won't be around forever (he'll be 32 when the season starts). I wouldn't be surprised to see NE go all-out in the next 2-3 years and do whatever they can to boost their title stock, including trading up to get elite prospects.

Posted by: psps23 | March 30, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

KingJoffeJoffer

That list kinda tells me what I was expecting.

Posted by: alex35332

Agree. USC is an All-Star team every year and it's tough to judge individual talent. (I won't bring up an obvious Redskin example).

This year, in Spring camp, they have four QB's fighting for the starting slot, any one of which would likely start for all but a half dozen Division One teams. (One, transfer Mitch Mustain, already has.)

Considering how USC does every year, it's amazing they don't have more quality players in the pros.

Just an observation. Believe me, I'm not a fan of theirs..

So the very fact all three starting LBs for USC are being hyped, makes me a little wary. I certainly wouldn't spend a #13 for any of them.

Posted by: TheCork | March 30, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

The skins should stay away from Cushing at 13. He is already a supplement freak a la Romonowski, I dont think there will be a great upside. If you are taking a LB at 13, you better be able to pencil him in at starter for the next 5 years. I dont think that is the case with Cushing. We would be better off trying to snag Freeman later on in the draft.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 30, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

That's a Yahoo! Sports report on Jeff George, who, interestingly, has been called a yahoo for saying this:

Posted by: Cindy Boren | March 30, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Sign Daniels to cover DE

First round = O line, best Tackle

Third round = LB

5 & 6 round = DB/LB depth, special teamers

Can Jansen play Guard?

Posted by: edvar | March 30, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Why won't Jeff George just go away?

Posted by: smutsboy | March 30, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Matt's Skin's Big Board:

A. Smith
A. Maybin
M. Oher
R. Maualuga
B. Cushing
T. Jackson

I think Rey Maualuga is the x-factor. I think if he falls to us, we could potentially work out a trade with the Pats.

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 30, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

But then again, ThePost said the same thing about Daniels, and that was wrong or his comments were taken out of context. Maybe he felt like that initially, and once some time passed, he realized his options to still play and wants to still show his love for the game.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 30, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I think the OTs they want will be gone, so Cushing's the pick at 13. If they're not convinced, the "best available" could be one of the CBs or even a DE like English. Trading down is a good possibility.

Posted by: sysadb420 | March 30, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

go to a singleback offense and play Sellers at SAM

Posted by: Hail2theChief | March 30, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

This same sort of Size logic is what folks always used to say about a certain diminutive linebacker from Miamuh who now plays for the cowpatties.

...just sayin' is all...

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 30, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Cork,
The question does become why? Has any reporter ever looked in depth at what they do at USC that makes em so good at one level and bad at the next?

Again, I am not a big time college guy, follow it a little, especially my alma-mater and think for video gaming, I know that there are more schemes and styles of play in college but I thought USC ran a fairly basic system, not like the option or spread.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 30, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Tyson Jackson, DE
Height:6'4"
Weight:295
College:LSU
Conference:SEC
Hometown:Edgard, LA
High School:West St. John

OverviewAnalysisOverview
Overview
Jackson had a big sophomore year, registering 37 tackles, 10 for loss, and 8.5 sacks on his way to second-team All-SEC accolades. Although his sack numbers dwindled to 3.5 during the team's 2007 national championship season and 4.5 as a senior, he still made plays behind the line (10 TFL in '07, 10.5 in '08). While Jackson's lack of dominant speed off the edge may cost him a high draft position, his size, strength and commitment to team defense makes him a rather intriguing fit as a 3-4 end or 4-3 tackle.

High School
Considered to be the top defensive end in Louisiana ... Played on both sides of the ball as an offensive and defensive tackle ... Named the 2A Defensive Player of the Year after capping off a torrid senior season with 84 tackles, 16 sacks and 17 hurries ... Led a talented defense alongside LSU signee Quinn Johnson to win the 2A state championship ... Member of the Baton Rouge Advocate Super Dozen and the New Orleans Times-Picayune's Top 20 Blue-Chip list in 2003 ... Named the 2A Defensive Player of the Year in Louisiana as well as being an all-district and all-parish selection in 2003 ... Also lettered in basketball for West St. John ... Coached by Larry Dupont.

Analysis
Positives: Versatile defender who operates as an end in LSU's base 4-3 alignment, but could also be moved inside as a 4-3 under (3-technique) tackle or as an end in the 3-4 alignment. ... Good team defender. ... Understands his containment responsibilities. ... Excellent size and strength to stack at the point of attack. ... Flashes the ability to shed blocks and make the play. ... Good initial quickness off the snap. ... Can pressure the tackle's outside shoulder and has the strength to push the blocker into the pocket toward the quarterback or use his hands to rip off the block. ... Gets his hands up in the passing lane. ... Good lateral quickness and hand technique to disengage from blocks and make the play. ... Hustles to chase ballcarriers downfield.

Negatives: Bit of a "tweener" for 4-3 teams. ... Lacks a great burst upfield, closing speed and the repertoire of pass-rush moves to be a dynamic outside pass rusher. ... Marginal speed to close. ... Does not change direction quickly in the backfield to prevent quarterbacks stepping up or getting yards with their feet.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 30, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

He's got the size, the agility and the toughness. Save the pick for RT.

Posted by: Hail2theChief | March 30, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Picks are all about value and Outside Linebackers are not that hard to come by (hence, less value). So I say the best way to get value is to either trade down or get an OT. A good Tackle can play right away on the right and switch the extremely valuable left when Samuels slows down.

DE is also a value pick. Although less of a need in my opinion that OT. I mean, how much can we spend on the Defensive line?

Posted by: Wemiss21 | March 30, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I wish when people referred to Blades lack of size, they would be accurate and say height

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 30, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Jansen can't pull well enough anymore to play guard. If he can't get out of his stance well enough to pick up the DE or OLB no way he pulls down the line and makes a kick out block. They will go right around him...

Posted by: Hail2theChief | March 30, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

pro-T
neutral-De,LB(m&o),G
Anti-QB,RB,WR,TE,C,DT,CB,S,K,P

Posted by: alex35332

same here

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 30, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 30, 2009 11:43 AM

So, you wouldn't want Romanaski on your team in his prime?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 30, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | March 30, 2009 11:41 AM

I agree....something you don't think about until you think about it: As good/great as they are, New England hasn't won a super bowl since 04.....technically the Steelers should be viewed as the closest thing to a dynasty as of late.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 30, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Its as simple as this folks: H.B. Blades is solid, he's not the biggest or fastest, he's not gonna get you a pick 6 and rack up sacks, but he's a good linebacker who is a natural middle linebacker but has shown the versatility to play outside. Bottom Line: He won't HURT the defense. He can start at that spot. Jon Jansen and Heyer suck they HURT the offense. The D is still good with Blades making tackles, the O SUCKS with Jansen. Draft a Tackle please, end of story

Posted by: cbace10 | March 30, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 30, 2009 11:47 AM

He doesn't seem to be a difference maker. He had better stats in college then Cushing, but Cushing is getting all the hype. But his hype seems legit.

Or do I watch those NFL 'Path to the Draft' commercials too much?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 30, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

If we don't draft a RT at 13 we will have another 8-8 season.

Posted by: Salinas1 | March 30, 2009 11:12 AM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Agreed.. except 6-10, D Coordinators figured out Zorn and Campbell the last half of 08.
If no draft of a top tier RT, preseason will be matador competition for who can say "OlaY" the loudest as the DE passes by, on his way to Campbell..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 30, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

If I had to rank the prospects in terms of Redskins big board, I'd go:

-J.Smith
-A.Curry
-A.Smith
-M.Crabtree
-BJ Raji
-E.Monroe
-B.Orakpo
-M.Oher
-T.Jackson
-E.Brown
-A.Maybin

Hopefully, 2 other players get selected prior to that list coming off the board. Any one of these other guys, I'd be satisfied with.

Posted by: psps23 | March 30, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

4th,

I would not mind romo in his prime, but Cushing is no romo. Romo also benefited from playing on some great defenses in SF and Denver. If the T prospect we want is not there they need to trade down. Possibly they could pickup a defensive player DE/LB and somebody like Loadholt,who I think is a sleeper

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 30, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

What are Maybin's prospects for SLB? He's listed at 6'3 249, almost exactly like Marcus Washington.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 30, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

"Its as simple as this folks: H.B. Blades is solid, he's not the biggest or fastest, he's not gonna get you a pick 6 and rack up sacks, but he's a good linebacker who is a natural middle linebacker but has shown the versatility to play outside. Bottom Line: He won't HURT the defense. He can start at that spot..."

Yes I agree with you but he is not the long term answer to the SAM LB spot. Jason Witten wil have field days going up for balls against Blades. Blades could be the successor to Fletcher, though.

"..Jon Jansen and Heyer suck they HURT the offense. The D is still good with Blades making tackles, the O SUCKS with Jansen. Draft a Tackle please, end of story
Posted by: cbace10 | March 30, 2009 11:57 AM
"

I agree that we absolutely need to draft a Tackle. I think Heyer & Jansen show up this year.

I still believe the Oline could look like it did a few years ago:

Samuels, Dock, Rabach, Thomas, Jansen

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 30, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Aaron Maybin, DE
Height:6'4"
Weight:249
College:Penn State
Conference:Big 10
Hometown:Ellicott City, MD
High School:Mount Hebron

Overview
Maybin decided to leave Penn State after a redshirt sophomore season that saw him named as a finalist for the Bednarik and Hendricks Awards, despite not starting the first two games of the season. The first-team All-Big Ten selection took advantage of teammate Maurice Evans' suspension for off-field issues by making 49 tackles, 20 for loss, 12 sacks and three forced fumbles in 2008.

The question for scouts is where he will play at the next level. Can he add the mass necessary to play with his hand down, or will he be forced to move to linebacker? It's probably the latter, so 3-4 teams will covet his skill set near the top of the draft.

High School
Maybin played at Mount Hebron High School ... Playing for coach Larry Luthe, he recorded 80 tackles with 10 sacks as a senior ... During his junior campaign, he made 79 tackles with nine sacks ... Maybin was named to the 2005 Baltimore Sun All-Metro team, was second-team big school all-state pick and first-team All-Howard County ... A strong student, he also participated in drama programs and did volunteer work.

Analysis
Positives: Tall with a frame to add a needed 10-15 pounds of muscle in his upper body. Superior quickness off the snap on wide rushes. Combines that speed and length to challenge tackles in passing situations. Very good straight-line speed to chase plays down the line or hustle downfield. Keeps cut blocks off his knees, recovers and maintains his balance well. Great length and vertical to affect passing lanes. Dropped into zone coverage often; got into his zone in a hurry when decisive. Breaks down in space and can change directions in the backfield to handle cutbacks and misdirections. Improving his hand usage as a pass rusher.

Negatives: A bit thin in the hips, and may not grow into a defensive end build. Does not always use his length to get off offensive tackle or tight end blocks. Lacks the strength to bull rush. Runs stiff and upright, looks much better straight-ahead than laterally. Doesn't turn the corner as fast as you'd like because of his inflexible lower body. Needs more pass rush moves. Always runs straight upfield, allowing tackles to direct him around the pocket. Demoted to backup status during the week of the Rose Bowl for undisclosed reasons.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 30, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

If push came to shove, I think H.B. Blades could do the job at strong side backer. There is no better option in free agency and I think any linebacker available at pick #13 would be a reach. On passing downs HB could sit and they could field three safeties, since they seem to have an abundance of them these days. Horton is more like a linebacker in most packages anyhow.

As to the future, it is apparent to me that the Redskins should trade down for multiple picks in the second round. This would allow them to pick up a quality interior offensive lineman and a linebacker with starting potential down the road. Note that I say "down the road": hoping for a starting linebacker in the second or third round is not a very good idea.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 30, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Flounder

He sounds perfect for a 3-4. These "tweener" types are becoming more and more prevalent.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 30, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I'd go OT first with A. Smith or M. Oher since either guy sounds like the would solidify the right side of the line and be capable replacements for Samuels down the road. If they're gone I'd go with Cushing.
SLB is a huge hole on the team and this guy sounds like he'd fit the bill. Contrary to what nfl.com said I read he is great at covering TE's and can play three downs.

Posted by: skinswest | March 30, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

There's some of the same confusion about the strong-side LB's role as there is about the left DE. Neither is primarily a pass-rush position. But the SLB does have to cover, and also has to take on the tight end/ FB. So a certain size is pretty much a requirement.

Cushing or Maualuga, for instance, would be wrong for different reasons -- Cushing because he's at his best racing to the QB, and Ray because he's probably a step slow.

I was a little puzzled to read Jason's description of the left side as 'weak' with Wynn and probably Daniels. Looks to me to be stronger than with Evans last year. The weakness in those two if if they get hurt bad enough that they can't shake it off and play. Otherwise they're both really tough, strong ends with a lot of experience fighting off blockers. You couldn't ask for much better help for a SAM.

The big key for somebody playing on the strong side is the safety play behind them. Running teams like to draw the SSLB in and then throw over them. If the safety isn't alert, this is a very effective strategy.

That's why it was weird to read the Skins were planning to use Orakpo there. He's mainly a pass rusher. Of course he's also big and strong as an ox, and pretty good in coverage, so I guess that's what they're thinking.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 30, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Trade down, Trade down... if there is greater value in getting a lower first round pick and adding a second, then why on earth would somebody trade up to get our pick? Matt Millen is gone and Vinnie Cerrato is on our team so the likliehood of taking advantage of someone else is remote at best. My point is that I know why we would want to trade down but I just don't see why anyone would want to trade up for our pick at 13.

Posted by: will_ga | March 30, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Brian Cushing, ILB
Height:6'3"
Weight:243
College:Southern Cal
Conference:Pac 10
Hometown:Park Ridge, NJ
High School:Bergen Catholic

Overview
While teammate Rey Maualuga generated most of the headlines over their respective careers, it could be the versatile Cushing who enjoys the last laugh come draft day. While he has struggled with durability at times, Cushing held up in 2008, starting all 13 games for the Trojans and earning second-team AP All-American accolades despite rather pedestrian statistics (73 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, 3.0 sacks).

NFL scouts don't admire Cushing for his statistics, but for his versatility. Athletic and instinctive enough to star at linebacker and yet big and strong enough to compete at defensive end -- as he did in starting 13 games at the position in 2006 when injuries forced the Trojans to be creative -- Cushing is arguably the draft's most versatile defender.

Cautious teams will certainly look into Cushing's previous struggles with durability, but his upside might be too much to allow him to get out of the top 20 come draft day.

High School
Among his 2004 honors were Parade All-American, USA Today All-USA first team, Super Prep Elite 50, Prep Star Top 100 Dream Team, Student Sports Top 100, Rivals 100, Super Prep All-American, Prep Star All-American, Tom Lemming All-American, Scout.com All-American first team, EA Sports All-American second team, Super Prep All-Northeast Defensive Player of the Year, Prep Star All-East and All-State Defensive Player of the Year as a senior linebacker, running back and tight end at Bergen Catholic High in Oradell, N.J. ... Had 120 tackles, 11 tackles for loss, 10 sacks and seven interceptions on offense in 2004, plus 475 rushing yards with 10 TDs and 13 receptions for 456 yards (35.1 avg.) with 7 TDs and a kickoff return for a score ... Did all that despite missing three games with an ankle sprain ... As a junior in 2003, he made Student Sports Junior All-American, All-State first team and All-Bergen County Defensive Player of the Year while posting 120 tackles, 22 tackles for loss, 9 sacks and 7 interceptions.

Continued

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 30, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

redskinhead: "This would allow them to pick up a quality interior offensive lineman and a linebacker with starting potential down the road. Note that I say "down the road": hoping for a starting linebacker in the second or third round is not a very good idea."

Posted by: Samson151 | March 30, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Continued

Analysis
Positives: Physical prototype with a combination of excellent size and overall athleticism for the position. Versatile. Signed with USC as a potential strong safety candidate, but has played defensive end, strong-side linebacker and even middle linebacker. Physical and intense. Big hitter who looks to intimidate opponents with his physicality in every phase of the game. Attacks blocks aggressively and flashes not only explosiveness but ferocity as a tackler. Good straight-line speed. Good flexibility to turn and run with tight ends and backs in coverage. Reads the quarterback well and can break on the ball. Productive pass rusher who is equally effective as an end and blitzing linebacker. Immediate standout performer who started for USC as a freshman.

Negatives: Has struggled with injuries throughout his career, missing five games due to a shoulder separation in 2005 and three games in 2007 due to a high ankle sprain, as well as undergoing surgery after the 2006 (shoulder) and 2007 (knee) spring practices. Relies on his athletic ability rather than his upper body strength to defeat blocks too often. Can overrun the play and allow for cutback opportunities. Mistakes often covered up by the surrounding talent at USC.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 30, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Samson,

Cushing is very good in coverage he is not slow, and Ray M. is a MLB who will play in a 3-4.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 30, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I am a bit confused about JLC and his opinions. Main reason is...He bashies the front office because age and the use Free Agency. Talks about how they need to build through the draft like other teams have....

Then when they do use the draft, cut some vets that are too much and always hurt.
he then proceeds to say the youngers guys have no experience and are not suited for the position even though thats the position they play. Now they are not good enough and the skins ...Once again are in trouble....Seems to me ..JLC feesl the Skins completely suck for one reason or another at every position. If it's not age...It's youth...If it's not youth, it's attitude, If its not attitude, it's desire.

Always finds some way to find talk about negatives no matter what player he talks about. He will throw in one line to compmliment a player but mostly his articles talk 80% about what the problem is.

i take thwey back...He talks awesome about players after they have been cut and how dumb the front office it.

MAKE UP YOUR FREAKIN MIND!

Posted by: leevi98 | March 30, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Washington Times is reporting that Philip Daniels will be back at the vet min.

Has the Post heard anything about this?

Posted by: HokiePaul | March 30, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Has the Post heard anything about this?

Posted by: HokiePaul | March 30, 2009 12:34 PM

No. He called Dave Elfin hisself.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 30, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I heard that Daniels announced that he would be playing with the Redskins this year. Of course, that is, until he stubs his toe walking out of the locker room for the first practice and it becomes a season ending injury. Lucky for him he's got Medicare coming.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 30, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Pat Kerwin on Robert Ayers:

I wasn't sure about a one-year starter like Ayers until I watched a tape of 100 plays from the 2008 season. This guy has some of the traits of Dwight Freeney.

Mike Mayock on Robert Ayers #1 rated DE

Russ Lande write up pn Robert Ayer's pro day.

This week, he continued his climb up draft boards with a strong pro day. Because so many teams play the 3-4 defense, Ayers went through full positional workouts as both an OLB and a DE -- 3-4 teams want to see if he can stand up and play rush-linebacker and 4-3 teams want to see his athleticism and quickness as an edge pass-rusher -- and impressed doing both.

He showed that he has the athleticism to be a stud outside linebacker in a 3-4 defensive scheme similar to what the Patriots and Browns play. He not only can go forward rushing the QB, but is smooth and fluid playing off the ball, which will help him be effective in pass coverage.

Posted by: TWISI | March 30, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Samson151: No, I think it's reasonable. LB is one of those positions that gets devalued by teams, mostly because there are so many outstanding athletes who wind up playing there. You can often get a decent LB in the second or third round.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 30, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Jason is thinking Peria?

Then whither Montgomery and Golston? Trade bait?

I wasn't a big fan of releasing Washington or Springs for a huge question mark like Haynesworth.

LaVar bridge burning? How about his freak injury when he went to the Giants. Well if it happens to Haynesworth and they draft a tackle they will have plenty of depth.

Again I can't see them not trading for a lot more picks. And hopefully giving Vinnie less decision making power.

They have multiple needs in this year's draft that really won't be filled by 4 picks. The lowest number they've had a in a long time.

The linebackers near the top seem questionable.

So, if he's there, its Andre Smith.

Seems to me given their current predicament running a hybrid 4-3/3-4 alignment and making better/more use of Jackson, Wilson and Carter
might make more sense (OLB/DE). Similar to defenses that Pittsburgh, KC, and AZ run?

Posted by: periculum | March 30, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

FINALLY, I get a chance to speak on the OLB vacancy. Vinnie... Dan... Jim... sign Derek Brooks to a 2 year deal!! I know he's not your prototypical strong side backer, but the man is extremely competitive and a sound tackler. He still has 2 good years in him and already has the respect of NFC offensive coordinators throughout the league. In my mind, he still plays the position as well as any OLB in the game. Do yourself and all Redskin fans a favor and look into that gold cookie jar and pull out a hefty signing bonus (appropriate for a veteran with his tenure) to sign Brooks to the veteran minimum in salary! You've done this a million times before...this is as good a time as EVER to do to so again. The quality of leadership on the defensive side of the ball, as well as overall athletisism, will be substantially enhanced by adding Brooks. The man makes plays!!! Think about it.

Posted by: Steddie1 | March 30, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Peria Jerry, DT
Height:6'2"
Weight:299
College:Mississippi
Conference:SEC
Hometown:Batesville, MS
High School:Hargrave (VA) Military Academy

Overview
Possesses rare burst off the snap, lateral quickness and a nose for the football. Emerged as one of the flashiest prospects at any position in the 2009 draft. A highly touted prep prospect, Jerry spent the 2004 season with Hargrave Military Academy before arriving at Mississippi. He broke out as a junior, earning second team All-SEC accolades by finishing with 58 tackles, including 14 tackles for loss. Often faced two blockers in 2008, when Jerry improved his play behind the line and led the SEC with 18 tackles for loss. He was a four-time SEC Defender of the Week as a senior, and raised his stock even more with a dominating week of practice at the Senior Bowl. He's likely to be a top-20 pick in April.

High School
While playing for South Panola High in Batesville, was selected first team All-State and Class 5A Defensive Player of the Year by the Mississippi Association of Coaches ... Also named first team All-State by The Clarion-Ledger ... Member of RebelGrove.com Mississippi 15 Finest list ... Rated No. 11 on Rivals.com Mississippi Top 20 ... Made Mobile Register's Super Southeast 120 ... Was a member of Max Emfinger's Super South Top 200, which rated Jerry as the No. 6 inside linebacker in the region ... Member of Clarion-Ledger's Top 40 recruits in Mississippi and The Sun-Herald's Top 30 ... PrepStar All-Region and SuperPrep All-Dixie ... Selected to play in the 2004 Mississippi-Alabama All-Star Classic in Mobile, Ala. ... A three-year starter who capped off his senior season by leading South Panola with 104 tackles, which included seven tackles for loss and three QB sacks ... Helped South Panola finish with a perfect 15-0 record in 2003, which was good enough to win the Class 5A state championship and earn a final No. 9 national ranking by USA Today ... Sat out his junior season ... Career statistics at South Panola included 255 tackles and 16 QB sacks ... Earned three letters in football ... Coached in high school by Ricky Woods.

Continued

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 30, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Continued

Analysis
Positives: Quick, active three-technique tackle. ... Good height and adequate girth inside. ... Very quick off the snap, able to beat the down block by tackles or penetrate to force the quarterback to rush his decision. ... Gets his hands inside guards' jerseys to push the pocket. ... Chases downfield on plays away from him, and works hard to make a tackle when the ball is in his area. ... Uses his hands well to defeat cut blocks inside. ... Handles double-teams pretty well when playing the nose considering his height, and is able to get off the double to get to the ball. ... Emerged as the unquestioned leader of the Ole Miss defensive line. ... Dominant week at the Senior Bowl. ... Good bloodlines. ... Cousins Eddie Strong and Dwayne Rudd both played linebacker in the NFL.

Negatives: Makes a lot of plays when slanting toward the action. ... Needs to play stronger at the point against the run. ... Can play a bit high in rushing situations, causing him to lose the leverage battle. ... Lacks great awareness, as he does not keep his eyes in the backfield. ... Takes himself out of plays too often. ... Needs to stay on his feet against stronger linemen. ... Low test score. ... May struggle with a complicated playbook.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 30, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Peri,

We didn't not get rid of Springs and Washington to get AH, we got rid of them because they were hurt all the time and not worth the money they were making.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 30, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Selfish promotion of kids doing good things.

(My kid in the middle).

Also, stay tuned for RealSkins Report, coming soon. Very Soon........

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 30, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Always finds some way to find talk about negatives no matter what player he talks about. "He will throw in one line to compliment a player but mostly his articles talk 80% about what the problem is.

MAKE UP YOUR FREAKIN MIND!

Posted by: leevi98 | March 30, 2009"

He is giving you the pros and cons for every position. Because they have released so many key players for salary cap reasons they find themselves in quite the predicament ...

So, typical of Snidely and Vinnie when left to their own devices.

There are other analysts who feel the the Skins might take Peria a DT with the 13th pick.

I can't seem them not trading for more mostly because the team, as it did under Spurrier sans Marvin Lewis, could blow up completely up again. That was the last time they had so many holes and very few picks. If the team blows up they will have to start from scratch with a new coach, a new system and a set of new players and a worsening reputation with players throughout the NFL.

Plus next year the salary cap situation appears to become far worst, and then improves in 2011.

To recover from that the last time under Spurrier Snidely brought back Joe Gibbs. That did work.

What will he do this time? Bring in Cower?

Get more picks. Give Zorn and Blache and the other coaches full say in who they choose before they choose them. Let Vinnie make big lists of all the prospects, forget HIS "Redskins" grade. do not let him make the choices.

Posted by: periculum | March 30, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Steddie,

You may be on to something. I wouldnt give him any substantial money. At this point he probably just wants to show he can still play. I think he is waiting on Tampa to bring him back, even though they supposedly offered him a front office position.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 30, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"Peri,

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 30, 2009"

I disagree. Springs did get offers almost immediately and landed in New England. He is still one of the top cover corners in the NFL. When healthy MWash is still one of the top line backers in the league.

They released those guys but not Jansen who has been injured more and played less over the last 3 years? He would kill the salary cap if they released him. Samuels was injured a good part of last year. Santana Moss was out or played sparingly because of the hammy and other issues. McIntosh can barely walk with those knees sometimes. Even Portis, given his horrible last 8 games, should be considered for release given his salary ... again a negative salary cap hit.

C'mon wake up!!! It was all about the salary cap and making room for Haynesworth. MWash and Springs along with Griffin and Fletcher were the heart and soul of the 4th ranked defense in the league.

Posted by: periculum | March 30, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Little too over the top regarding JLAC..
Snyder employee??

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MAKE UP YOUR FREAKIN MIND!

Posted by: leevi98 | March 30, 2009 12:33 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 30, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Peri,

Saying that Wash is still a top LB means you need to wakeup, JT's money alone covered the cost of AH this year.

Jansen will be cut next year and clear up over 2mil.

Springs got a gig no doubt but I guarantee he plays no more then 6-7 games.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 30, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

redskinhead: "I think it's a good hope, but hope is not a plan. I seem to recall there were high hopes for all of the Redskins' second round picks last year and then reality sunk in. "

That was a weird year -- were there any WRs drafted in the first round? And everybody knew it going in. But LBs performed well -- Mayo of course, but also others who weren't drafted as high.

The other position that seems to go lower than it should is TE. The first of those gets drafted late in the 1st or lower.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 30, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Kirwan on nfl.com now has the skins taking Tyson Jackson at 13. Sounds like a younger Demetric Evans. While he might be a solid player I think OT and SLB are bigger needs.

Posted by: skinswest | March 30, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

4th, can't view at work, but congrats, you must be proud, and rightfully so. I'll take a look when I'm home tonight.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 30, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy Boren | March 30, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas On reports that he came in last season out of shape:

Thomas: "When it really boils down to it, the NFL is a different shape you've gotta be in. That's point blank, period. I felt like coming in I was in good shape, you know, I was in better shape than I'd normally be in, but for the NFL, I probably wasn't ready. I probably needed to do more.

"And, you know, that showed in not being able to pass the conditioning test. But that's something I had to learn with that, and I definitely learned that, like, 'Man, I've gotta do more, like even extra.'

"And I think that played a role in it. Then the preseason came and I pulled a hammy, but that was just due to working hard in the practices and overexerting myself.

On this year's conditioning test:

Thomas: "Oh, man, I'm down here with John [Hastings], our weight room guy, all the time, just getting ready for it, whatever it is. If it's the same test or not, I'm gonna make sure I'm ready for it."

Posted by: periculum | March 30, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Curtis Lofton arrive in the 2nd round last year? And he was one of the league's best MLBs.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 30, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Buffalo, Pittsburgh, And Jags are who we playing in the preseason. I missed the 4th one........

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 30, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I dont understand how if we feel that the LB's like Cushing and Rey aren't worth the 13th pick, then why would a team like New England think they are worth it. Plus having to give up a 2nd rounder to move up. It takes 2 to tango and it takes 2 to make a trade. Everybody keeps talking about dropping back, but who is dumb enough to move up to 13 and give up a pick. Only the Redskins. Maybe we can trade our 13th with ourselves for next years 1st and 2nd.

Posted by: Skins281 | March 30, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Lindy's and the Sporting News both like Cushing's all-around skills: good speed for sideline-to-sideline run defense, ability to drop into coverage, and experience at rushing the passer. He has played some DE but mostly LB. His only real question mark is durability.
Hoping that DEs who have not played LB can just drop back and do it is extremely risky. Most that are successful really just play at the line in a down stance and are pass rushers like Ware and Merriman. For what the skins need their SLB to do Cushing looks like a good fit.

Someone mentioned Maybin. He's been attenting a "nutritional" bodybuilding camp in Lancaster Pa since January, and went from 228 to 254 lbs. At his pro day 2 weeks ago he ran a 4.59 and a 4.63 in his two sprints. That's lightening fast for a DE and still fast for a LB, but a good body and speed doesn't mean he has even basic LB skills. He needs a lot of time, but someone will take a chance based on his physical tools.

Posted by: sysadb420 | March 30, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

posted by peri

mcIntosh can't walk, but he made 87 tackles and played every game

Portis is GREAT, release Portis?? hogwash

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 30, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I liked Peria as a pick before we got Hayney, but I think it would be overkill at this point

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 30, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm tired of everyone blaming this on Jason Campbell. He is not he LB-swing-for-the-fences type of proponent.

Posted by: jgr007 | March 30, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

@leevi98

Just because we replace veterans with youth doesn't mean the youth is good, or is playing the right position.

Jasno is right, this team needs to hoard draft picks just like the consistently elite teams do. Reinhart, Thomas, Kelly, Blades & Co don't count as 'youth' if they're not any good.

Posted by: smutsboy | March 30, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

the linebacker talk is a smoke screen,noone is going to pay washington more,he will be back.they are taking best OT available unless they find a trade partner.Even if its Britton.There are some solid linebacker prospects in the 3rd like,Sibury of Richmond and Mckenzie of South Florida.

Posted by: mark65 | March 30, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

LaVar is a living lesson on why bridge burning is a bad idea.

Posted by: JLaCanfora | March 30, 2009 10:50 AM |

Whatever, what team is lavar playing for oh thats right he is out of football.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 30, 2009 10:51 AM

Exactly my point... are you being sarcastic or just retarded?

Posted by: JLaCanfora | March 30, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I watched BLADES struggle in that role last year. NO, NO, NO!!!!

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 30, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

In regards to drafting a LB, could we discuss 2nd prospects because this is where we are likely to draft an LB? None of those USC LBs are worthy of a No. 13 pick. Our 1st day pick will be dedicated to OT.

Posted by: onnie007 | March 31, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse