Redskins cancel afternoon practice

The Redskins canceled Thursday afternoon's practice because of lightning in the area. The team practiced Thursday morning for approximately two hours and 10 minutes.

Coach Mike Shanahan's afternoon practices during training camp have been light-- one-hour jog-through sessions intended to conserve players' energy and avoid the typical training camp grind. Players also have said the afternoon sessions are useful in providing mental reps as they learn new systems on offense and defense.

This is the second afternoon session of training camp that Shanahan has canceled. The first was on Sunday, when Shanahan decided to rest his players and hold meetings instead.

The Redskins will resume their training camp routine Friday with an 8:30 a.m. practice and a jog-through session in the afternoon.

By Jorge Castillo  |  August 5, 2010; 5:08 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Roger Goodell's visit leaves some Redskins feeling frustrated
Next: Albert Haynesworth MRI shows no structural damage

Comments

Man, the Redskins would be so screwed if, during training camp, the practice fields flooded again

Posted by: --swb | August 5, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

By Jorge Castillo | August 5, 2010; 5:08 PM ET

Once this practice starts, does anyone know where I can find out if Haynesworth has passed his test or not?

Posted by: ChesterPeek | August 5, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

By Jorge Castillo | August 5, 2010; 5:08 PM ET

Posted by: ChesterPeek | August 5, 2010 5:31 PM

that's soooo funny !!!

Posted by: hessone | August 5, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry....he won't.

Shanahan isn't being fair. In order to help him pass, there should be a Big Mac at each 25 yard interval, that'll get the flabby guy moving.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | August 5, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Put a fork in the Red Sawks. Youk out for the year.

2 team race for the AL east and the O's are undefeated since Buck took over..

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 5, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Jason, Barry or Jorge can you please give us an update on my guy Chris Wilson? How has he looked so far? What LB position has he been working at the most? How does Haslett feel about him?

I really believe he is more of a natural LB than Alexander. Maybe Lorenzo will be a beast but the learing curve is tough...

Posted by: elfreako | August 5, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Has anybody heard how Chris Wilson is faring in camp or how Haslett sees him fitting into the 3-4?

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 5, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

sorry elfreako...hadn't read your post

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 5, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: --swb |

I'm against the Redskins EVER getting a former Cowboy player or coach. That also applies to their old training facility.

But they should have something. With Global climate Change they're liable to find lightning storms with raccoon-sized hail one of these days.

Posted by: TheCork | August 5, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | August 5, 2010 6:40 PM |

Does this mean that Skins fans should abstain from invoking "Hail to the Redskins", at least during training camp, because players could get hurt. Them raccoons are pretty pretty pretty big critters.

Posted by: Yammerstein | August 5, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

IT'S BACK...SICWIDIT's POLL-O-THE-WEEK!!!

1) Who should be in the Hall of Fame first:

a) Pat Fischer
b) Chris Hanburger
c) Joe Jacoby
d) Jim Lachey

2) Which of the following Redskins who were cut last year should we have kept for another season?

a) Rock Cartwright
b) Cornelius Griffin
c) Fred Smoot
d) Ladell Betts
e) none of those scrubs

3) Who's the biggest Redskins hater?

a) Brian Mitchell
b) Peter King
c) Lavar Arrington
d) John Riggins

4) Best rant by coach/manager

a) Hal McCrae with the Cubs
b) We 'talkin bout practice' (AI)
c) Mike Singletary ("I want winners")
d) "You play to win the game" (Herm Edwards
e) "PLAYOFFS!!!!" (Mora)

5) I'd rather go shoe shopping with my wife than:

a) watch Arena football
b) watch the WNBA
c) watch Poker on TV
d) watch tennis

6) Who's the "Summer 2010 jackAZZ"?

a) Lebron James
b) Brett Favre
c) Albert Haynesworth

7) It's 4th and 2...who are you handing the ball off to?

a) Earl Campbell
b) John Riggins
c) Walter Payton

8) I can put my hands on one of the following albums in the next 10 minutes:

a) Pete Seegar
c) Bee Gees
d) Paliament Funkadelic
e) Doobie Brothers

9) What was funnier (in a sad way)?

a) Spurrier referring to Jim Haslett as "Jim HAYSLETT"
b) Zorn's swinging gate play
c) Pepper Rodgers

Have at it!

Posted by: rickyroge | August 5, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

As long as they're not chanting "Hail on the Redskins" I think we're ok.

Posted by: edvar | August 5, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Sure Goodell was evasive, but his wife is HOT, so I give him a pass.

Posted by: TBDog | August 5, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Roge, good list. Let's see...

1) Who should be in the Hall of Fame first:
c) Joe Jacoby

e) none of those scrubs

3) Who's the biggest Redskins hater?
c) Lavar Arrington

4) Best rant by coach/manager
c) Mike Singletary ("I want winners")

5) I'd rather go shoe shopping with my wife than:
b) watch the WNBA

6) Who's the "Summer 2010 jackAZZ"?
a) Lebron James by a nose

7) It's 4th and 2...who are you handing the ball off to?

a) Earl Campbell
b) John Riggins
c) Walter Payton
d) yes

8) I can put my hands on one of the following albums in the next 10 minutes:
e) Doobie Brothers

9) What was funnier (in a sad way)?
b) Zorn's swinging gate play

Posted by: edvar | August 5, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

RR-

1) Who should be in the Hall of Fame first:

a) Pat Fischer
b) Chris Hanburger
c) Joe Jacoby
d) Jim Lachey

A, B, C

e) none of those scrubs

3) Who's the biggest Redskins hater?

b) Peter King

4) Best rant by coach/manager

f) Jim Sconfield ("Go have another donut")

5) I'd rather go shoe shopping with my wife than:

b) watch the WNBA

6) Who's the "Summer 2010 jackAZZ"?

c) Albert Haynesworth

7) It's 4th and 2...who are you handing the ball off to?

b) John Riggins

8) I can put my hands on one of the following albums in the next 10 minutes:

a) Pete Seegar
c) Bee Gees
d) Paliament Funkadelic
e) Doobie Brothers

f) The Ramones

9) What was funnier (in a sad way)?

a) Spurrier referring to Jim Haslett as "Jim HAYSLETT"
b) Zorn's swinging gate play
c) Pepper Rodgers

all the above with d) being Zorn saying maroon and black

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 5, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

8) I can put my hands on one of the following albums in the next 10 minutes:

"Legend" Bob Marley or "Kind of Blue" Miles Davis.

Then there's that "Fear of a Black Planet" thingy that I play just to piss Glenn Beck off.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 5, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

beeps peeps

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 5, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah!!! The poll man is back

OK
1) all but Fisher deserve it -- could add Jerry Smith (TD record for TE, held it for 30!! years) and Larry Brown to that list. Gary Clark finished up 8th all-time in receiving yards (irvin was 10th when he quit). Maybe Len Hauss as well.

2) they were all to pricey or old. But if Yoder was on the list, I'd have out him down.

3) don't know

4) Mora -- don't like the dad, don't like the putz kid

5) Not married, but I'd have gone with World Cup Soccer

6) Uck, Fat Albert

7) If those are my choices, I'm very happy. But gotta go with Riggo (is he sober?)

8) Doobies, but if you'd gone EWF as the funk of choice, different story

9) the swinging gate. I mean, it was bad enough, but they stopped play after he showed the formation ... and still ran it. Whats even sadder were the people who looked at replay and thought it almost worked!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 5, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Great poll, Rick Bobby!! My 2 cents:

1) Who should be in the Hall of Fame first:
c) Joe Jacoby
Travesty he's not in. Fisher before my time but probaby should be in too.

b) Cornelius Griffin
I love Corny.

3) Who's the biggest Redskins hater?
b) Peter King
can't pick a former Skin

4) Best rant by coach/manager
e) "PLAYOFFS!!!!" (Mora)
p.s. AI isn't a coach/manager (but sure would be hilarious)

5) I'd rather go shoe shopping with my wife than:
b) watch the WNBA
Easiest one yet. Poker on TV is great IMO.

6) Who's the "Summer 2010 jackAZZ"?
c) Albert Haynesworth
2nd easiest.

7) It's 4th and 2...who are you handing the ball off to?
a) Earl Campbell
Great/tough question. All are great options.

8) I can put my hands on one of the following albums in the next 10 minutes:
d) Paliament Funkadelic
We want the funk. GOtta have that funk, AWW...

9) What was funnier (in a sad way)?
b) Zorn's swinging gate play
Sheer brilliance. "F U, DAN"

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 5, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

8) I can put my hands on one of the following albums in the next 10 minutes:

What is this 'album' you refer to??

Posted by: bigbassdrum | August 6, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

1) Who should be in the Hall of Fame first:

a) Pat Fischer

e) none of those scrubs

3) Who's the biggest Redskins hater?

b) Peter King

4) Best rant by coach/manager

c) Mike Singletary ("I want winners")

5) I'd rather go shoe shopping with my wife than:

c) watch Poker on TV
d) watch tennis

6) Who's the "Summer 2010 jackAZZ"?

Brett Farve

7) It's 4th and 2...who are you handing the ball off to?

b) John Riggins

8) I can put my hands on one of the following albums in the next 10 minutes:

d) PaRliament Funkadelic (u forgot the "R"

rip garry shider btw

9) What was funnier (in a sad way)?

Zorn's swinging gate play
Pepper Rodgers
Zorn saying maroon and black..idiot

Posted by: damn1 | August 6, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

1) Who should be in the Hall of Fame first:

a) Pat Fischer

e) none of those scrubs

3) Who's the biggest Redskins hater?

b) Peter King

4) Best rant by coach/manager

c) Mike Singletary ("I want winners")

5) I'd rather go shoe shopping with my wife than:

c) watch Poker on TV
d) watch tennis

6) Who's the "Summer 2010 jackAZZ"?

Brett Farve

7) It's 4th and 2...who are you handing the ball off to?

b) John Riggins

8) I can put my hands on one of the following albums in the next 10 minutes:

d) PaRliament Funkadelic (u forgot the "R"

rip garry shider btw

9) What was funnier (in a sad way)?

Zorn's swinging gate play