Redskins-Cowboys: Waiting for Kickoff

There are a couple of things you might want to check out today as you debate whether to go with the full-body paint or just the face.

Marc Fisher, as the ever-vigilant and early-rising Talent Evaluator noted, has a column on Jason Campbell that you're going to want to read. In case you missed it Saturday, Mike Wise got Jim Zorn to talk about his career as a Cowboys quarterback.

Mark Maske takes a look at what will be the last regular-season game between the Redskins and Cowboys at that place with the hole in the roof.

Barry Svrluga takes a look at Rocky McIntosh's contributions.

As usual, there will be blogging. Oh, yes, there will be blogging.and twittering (go to twitter.com and hop on RedskinsInsider there). And there will be mobile texting (text "REDSKINS" to WPOST [97678]). Because you like to know these things, our crew on the ground in Dallas consists of the two Jasons, Svrluga, Wise and Boz, Steinberg and Carpenter.

I thought you might like to know what the buzz is in Dallas. If so, read on. If not, read on at your own peril....

The Dallas Morning News looks at the rivalry through the eyes of Snyder and Jones (no first names needed). Jean-Jacques Taylor looks puts the Cowboys' passing game into historical (franchise) perspective. And Cowlishaw is just going to make you mad...

A Fort Worth Star-Telegram columnist is running a contest to give the Cowboys' defense a nickname...I'm not going to supply that link because I'm guessing that you might not be, um, helpful. You can find the link on the Star-Telegram's home sports page. And I'll also give you their scouting report and a link to a Mac Engel story on Romo-Witten to make up for what I imagine you're gonna do.

By Cindy Boren  |  September 28, 2008; 7:49 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who's Going to Step Up in Dallas?
Next: A Nice Day in Dallas for Skins-Cowboys

Comments

hey scamp and freakzilla....wow looks like we agree on nothing except love for skins, but thats still a good common ground. You both sound beyond ridiculous to me, but hey thats america, little pink houses for you and me!

go skins!!!!!!

skins 27 dallas 24...OT

Posted by: chrislarry | September 28, 2008 1:22 AM

Yep cL, that's good enough for me. I just get overly animated about certain things. I DO believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion and pursuit of their own version of the American dream. That's what makes this country great, no matter who is "running" it.
HTTR!!!!!!!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: isnadd | September 28, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm First!!!!!a

"You like me, you really like me"

I'm Sicwidit

Posted by: rickyroge | September 28, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

That's what makes this country great, no matter who is "running" it.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2008 8:38 AM

What makes this country great is cheerleaders.

Did you ever see a cheerleader in cricket? soccer? rugby? tennis? golf? beisbol? bocci? hockey? curling? synchronized swimming? pentathalon?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 28, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Interesting point T_E. I'll have to do some study on that.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Non-football interlude, sparked by the thought that auto racing has no cheerleaders, either: Stephen Hunter's appreciation of Paul Newman is a nice read. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/27/AR2008092701440.html?hpid=entnews

Posted by: CindyBoren | September 28, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

f dallass. F em right in their @ss
F them and their redneck bandwagon dbag fans

Go Skins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: jonthefisherman | September 28, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

How crazy is this? Maine is going to get hit with a hurricane on Monday.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Hail.

Stupid cowgirls.

Posted by: hobbes9 | September 28, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Hail.

Stupid cowgirls.

Posted by: hobbes9 | September 28, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren | September 28, 2008 9:14 AM

Cindy,

Auto racing doesn't need cheerleaders because it has another ingredient that makes for a great nation: high-speed car crashes. Tai chi will never make it in this country without cheerleaders or car crashes. Spandex could help, though.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 28, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Cow-lishawls columns sounds like prime bulletin board material to me.

Posted by: rallenii | September 28, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Stephen A Smith is an a-hole. Guess that's what his middle initial stands for.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

While I don't think this is a "make or break" game for Jason Campbell, I think this will be atru litmus test of where he is.

I like the Skins chances in Dallas especially coming off a two game winning streak so I think they believe in Zorn and Campbell.

SIC's keys to the game:
1) No turnovers
2) Pressure on Romo
3) Eliminate the big play

Posted by: rickyroge | September 28, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: reggiebranch | September 28, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Hey Stephen, how's this for consistency? We've won 7 of our last 9 games (reg and post season). We lost to the Super bowl champions and a playoff team while also beating the Super Bowl champs and the current supposed best team in the league. What a d-bag, stick to basketball you f-stick.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Hey RI... I want to get your pulse on the O-Line:

1) How many more good season does Samuels have left?

2) What about Rabach?

Posted by: rickyroge | September 28, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Stephen A. Smith of ESPN bsaically just dissed the REDSKINS and Jason Campbell on the Sports Reporters saying "i'm not sold on the Redskins or Jason Campbell" yeah whatever butboy also saying that the DC 11 are an afterthought in the NFC EAST four o clock can't get here fast enough for me, i'm headed to the gym to burn off some energy before i drive my family crazy.PLAY HARD FOR SEAN#21 AND LETS KICK SOME DALLAZZ!!!

Posted by: dargregmag | September 28, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Rabach is pretty solid and consistent although getting up there, I give him 2-3 more good years. Samuels probably the same. I don't recall either of them suffering too much from injuries which is usually a good indicator to the beginning of rapid decline.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

What makes this country great is cheerleaders.

Did you ever see a cheerleader in cricket? soccer? rugby?....curling?....

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 28, 2008 8:46 AM

No cheerleaders in curling, but the "women of curling"?! Wow, um, when are the next Winter Olympics again?

Go 'Skins!!

Posted by: 4-12 | September 28, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

And Cowlishaw is just going to make you mad...

OMG Cindy! Why did you link that!!? That article got me going. I love how people talk about this rivalry like its not the same. For me, those people are not true fans of one of these teams. TRUE FANS know this is the game every year (both times). All rivalries have ups and downs and one team having the edge. Dallas is marketing driven Americas team, which means lots of Bandwagon fans. Its like a person graduating from Michigan or Alabama and saying well Ohio State or Auburn have been down a while so other rivalries are bigger. You kidding me. And by the way I think the Skins have won like 4 of the last 6. F DALLAS. AAAAHHHHH I hate em!

Posted by: Club320 | September 28, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I think the true test for teh Skins will be next week in Philly...NASTY DEFENSE!!!

Our schedule is brutal. You'd have thought we won the Super Bowl.

Posted by: rickyroge | September 28, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, we may not be the most talented defensive or offensive(yet) team as far as yards allowed, but look who we've played.

The Bush lead Saints, the air-it-out Cardinals, and the defending SuperBowl Champs.

I hope the Cowpuke's share that same mind set...Washington isn't worthy of their time...it's hard to get pumped up for a rivalry thats dead...DEAD?!?!!

It's so dead that I left notes on vehicles in parking lots with Cowpie bumperstickers and license plates, with the simple but effective...

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!

The rivalry is soooo dead that i called out any stranger with a Cowgirl shirt on, at restaurants and gas stations...

F DALLAS
F DALLAS
F DALLAS

HAIL!!!!

Posted by: GimmyDatPot | September 28, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

P.S.

F DALLAS!

Posted by: GimmyDatPot | September 28, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

My personal hatred of the Girls was fueled by the fact that i was the only Redskin in a 25 mile radius, growing up in SE Texas. The area is sooo full of redneck-retards that i kinda lump Cowbum fans together with all the ignorant, long hair-hating country bumkins, consumed with hunting and Nascar....sigh...I think im gonna spit on the next Cowspank fan i see today...unless he's really big...hopefully, its a woman...

Posted by: GimmyDatPot | September 28, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Attention Skins fans:

I'm a Die-hard Skins fan currently in Italy for business. Can't find the game anywhere on TV. Is anyone streaming the game live on the computer??? Any help is appreciated.
Skins by 14...
Hail

Posted by: brianlee720 | September 28, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Attention Skins fans:

Skins by 14...
Hail

Posted by: brianlee720 | September 28, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm a Die-hard Skins fan currently in Italy for business.

Posted by: brianlee720 | September 28, 2008 11:34 AM

What is wrong with this picture? I know. You can't be both "a die-hard skins fan" and "in Italy for business." Die-hard skins fans are here, waiting expectantly, jockeying for position in front of the TV. People in Italy for business are pretenders. Anyway, if you're in Italy, it isn't for business but for food.

No one's had much luck up here with streaming TV for previous games. Very unreliable. Even the radio has drawn complaints. If all else fails, there's a good play-by-play on NFL.com.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 28, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Cindy--What's wrong with the blog today. Long delays, lots of double posts. Are all the techies home watching the 'Skins?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 28, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

If you are a DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket subscriber, they now stream games on their website for free (and it finally works on a Mac, too). Just login to your account and watch the game. I was in Portland for a bachelor party last weekend and watched the game on the drive up via directv.com and my Sprint mobile broadband modem. It was like I was in the future.

If you do not subscribe to DirecTV, you can still watch the games overseas via your computer with Yahoo NFL Game Pass. You have to be overseas, it won't work in the US or Canada. Game Pass rocks. I was "stuck" in Barcelona last year for a few weeks and subscribed to Game Pass on a week by week basis to catch the game.

Lastly, if you travel a lot and want to still be able to watch your TiVo, I highly, highly, highly recommend getting a Slingbox.

Hope that helps.

Posted by: PDiddy | September 28, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Hope that helps.

Posted by: PDiddy | September 28, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

F DALLAS!!!!

4 hours and counting. I am ready for some Redskins Football!!

HAIL!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 28, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

It's a simple game..

You hit TO
You throw TO
You intercept TO's passes

Devon Thomas -- You've been wondering...It is today. They don't have three corners. It's today.

Posted by: terlin1 | September 28, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 28, 2008 11:52 AM |

What I meant to say is that "no one's had much luck EXCEPT PDIDDY" and in his case it isn't luck but technical brilliance.

Diddy, have you worked out that "how to see through women's clothes" thing yet, or do you still have to get them to take them off? That just seems so 20th Century.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 28, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

4 hours and counting. I am ready for some Redskins Football!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 28, 2008 12:07 PM

Four hours? Post now and your post will be up on the blog by half-time. And the gametime posts will show up next week during the Philly game.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 28, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Part of the fun is in convincing them to take it off. :-)

And I'm not technically brilliant. I'm just a marketing guy.

Streaming anything depends on the quality of your Internet connection, of course. If you're in Italy and staying at any of the Boscolo hotels (and shame on you if you're on an expense account and not doing so!) you should be fine. The rest of Italian broadband kinda depends on whether or not Luigi let the hamsters out on the wheel.

BTW, there's a lovely Italian Heritage Festival going on in Seattle Center this weekend. I'm about to go for a run and will pick up some sausage and peppers for this afternoon's game. Mmmmmm.

Posted by: PDiddy | September 28, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Here's some good news to start the day off, and F the girls!

JONES GETS FINED FOR HOCHULI CRITICISM
Posted by Mike Florio on September 28, 2008, 11:48 a.m. EDT

As it turns out, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones will be fined for his recent public criticisms of referee Ed Hoculi.

Per Chris Mortensen of ESPN, Jones will be asked to pay $25,000 for his comments.

The strangest aspect of this story is that Jones wasn’t even complaining about a call made by Hochuli in a Cowboys game.

In the wake of Hochuli’s Week Two blunder in Denver, Jones said that Hochuli is a “highly criticized official.” A couple of days later, Jones elaborated.

“You know, that guy is quick to call penalties,” Jones said. “He’s quick to draw. He’s known for that. . . . He’s very quick. His crews call a lot of penalties. Maybe the answer is to tell people like that, ‘Keep that whistle out your mouth.’”

The league wasn’t nearly as quick to penalize Jones, but they finally got him.

And, frankly, it could be that Jones was relying upon the interpretation of the anti-criticism rule that we obtained from NFL spokesman Greg Aiello. Before Jones said anything about Hochuli, we quoted Aiello as saying that the rule is interpreted only to prohibit criticism of the integrity of game officials. (Aiello later added “personal attacks” to the list of forbidden conduct.)

This disclosure prompted some league insiders to scratch their heads in confusion in light of the plain terms of the rules, and it prompted others to think that it was now permissible to tell it like it is regarding the refs, as long as personal attacks or criticism of integrity are avoided.

So we think that Jones should appeal. And we think that his appeal should prevail.

Meanwhile, Mort reports that Chargers coach Norv Turner won’t be fined for calling the Hochuli error “unacceptable” in the immediate aftermath of the Week Two loss.

And, frankly, that decision still leaves us confused. If the league is going to prohibit criticism of game officials, then it needs to punish all criticism. If the league is recognizing as to Turner that it might not be fair to expect a coach who has been screwed by a bad call to dig his teeth into his tongue during a league-mandated appearance before the media, then the language of the rule needs to be crafted to provide such leeway.

Our goal is to make sure that every team has a clear understanding of what is and isn’t allowed. We’re getting a lot closer, but there’s still more work to be done.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 28, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

why the obsession with what the national media says about skins...who cares? it just makes it fun to shut them up...these talking heads are conventional wisdom junkies....f'em

Posted by: chrislarry | September 28, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Most famous Cowboy line ever delivered (and we had to lipsync).

"No, Danny No!"

Cue Mr. Grant.

I'm ready

Posted by: terlin1 | September 28, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Let me see what's up with the blog....

Posted by: CindyBoren | September 28, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

It took six minutes for that comment to go live....grrrrr. I've alerted the Powers That Be (not to be confused with The Suits).

Posted by: CindyBoren | September 28, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"And Cowlishaw is just going to make you mad..."

What a stupid comment by Jasno. Why would this dumb-arse article make anyone mad??? I'm glad the cowgirls are overlooking the skins. That'll make the victory all the sweeter.

btw, I remember the post-Jimmy Johnson era (or what about the years 1986-1990) when the cowboys sucked so bad that it was hard to get worked up about playing them.

Also, the columnist shows no knowledge of the history of the rivarly--especially the main fact that it was invented by George Allen.

Posted by: gringoinmiami | September 28, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

It's getting closer. The warm-up band is on the stage.

Posted @ 12:57

Posted by: SMACK1 | September 28, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who uses twitter should post on Skins with a #redskins hashtag so that we can all chat during the game. Cindy - this means you should do the same with @redskinsinsider.

Posted by: jeffmascott | September 28, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

What a stupid comment by Jasno.

Posted by: gringoinmiami | September 28, 2008 12:57 PM |

Gringo,

Read the post again. It wasn't signed by Jasno. It's always open season on Jasno, but never take shots at Cindy.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 28, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

So, our man Frost just shanked another one for Green Bay. If Brooks doesn't get it right this weekend, we may be able to re-sign Frostie after the Packers cut him tonight.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 28, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I am actually the sole person posting on Redskins Insider.

Posted by: CindyBoren | September 28, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I am actually the sole person posting on Redskins Insider.

Posted by: CindyBoren | September 28, 2008 1:37 PM

I thought so. You media elite are all alike. What do you take the rest of us posters for, if not people? Potted plants? Oh, right: coked-up hamsters.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 28, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I've been very lonely and would love some company there.

Posted by: CindyBoren | September 28, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I heart you guys, you know that.

Posted by: CindyBoren | September 28, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I've been very lonely and would love some company there.

Posted by: CindyBoren | September 28, 2008 1:42 PM

I'm guessing that there are some 250 posts waiting in cyberspace for the RI blockage to clear up. Around 2:30 - 3:00 they should appear.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 28, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Fear not Cindy,you are not alone. I'm just catching up on the earlier posts. Now my dilemma is to determine if i should watch the game with my best friend who's a stinking girls fan. We grew up in DC and he's always been a pokes fan. We now live in Florida and I just can't stand the thought of being being humiliated if we lose. On the other hand, it sure would be nice to see the look on his face should we win.

Posted by: cosomfla | September 28, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I've been very lonely and would love some company there.

Posted by: CindyBoren | September 28, 2008 1:42 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 28, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking she is talking about on twitter.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 28, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Frost just shanked another one. Packers have to be regretting cutting their guy, Jon Ryan, for Frost. Ryan is now punting for Seattle, but hasn't been putting up big numbers there. Of course, Durant Brooks right now is last in the league with a 38.6 yard average.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 28, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I was speaking of twitter. As for cosomfla's dilemma, I say watch the game with your BFF. For me, the chance to talk smack should my team win, no matter how remote [have you SEEN the cheeves this year???], would trump the humiliation.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | September 28, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and beep beep.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | September 28, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

+++Really getting tiered of national media hating on everything Redskins. I hope the Redskins win (for a lot of reasons) and show everyone that these media "experts" are nothing more then a whole of hot-air.+++

You know how cops stick together?

Soldiers?

Good sports franchises?

How they get each other's back?

Without passing judgement on the players in the Snyder/Washington Post ongoing Pi$$ing contest, I'll just note Media is the same.

Pick on one, pick on all.

Not all Media of course, but Snyder and the Redskins are perceived as anti-Media and Anti-Free Press.

Neeless to say, in a dog eat dog competitiive world, The Washington Post is not usually considered and "underdog." They have plenty of competitiors and enemies. But just as a domestic disturbance can turn husband and wife aganst the intruding peacemakers, so too does unfair treatment on behalf of someone being covered.

Say what you will but Media Friendly franchises like Jerruh Jones little dog and Pony Show don't get "hated on" like those who try to make the Media's job more difficult, limit their access, and use their own Bully Pulpit to attack the practitioners.

The Redskins will have a hard time becoming Media Favorites if and until Snyder is replaced by new ownership or changes his attitude. Some progress has been made by the addition of Zorn, who is the Media Zang to snyder Yin. But it's not enough.

You don't have to like it, but believe me, that's the way it is.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 28, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse