Posted at 2:00 PM ET, 12/ 6/2010

Defense must improve mental toughness: London Fletcher

By Jason Reid

Redskins defensive players must improve their "mental toughness" during the final four games, inside linebacker and defensive co-captain London Fletcher said Monday at Redskins Park.

After Sunday's embarrassing 31-7 loss to the New York Giants, Fletcher said that everyone on defense must refocus on the details of their jobs. The vocal team leader took things a step further, saying it's time for the Redskins to get tough again.

"The thing that I sense for us is that sometimes we have big plays that happen, and all of a sudden, we go in the tank, so to speak," Fletcher said. "In particular, a game like the Giants game yesterday and the Philly game [a 59-28 blowout loss to the Eagles in Week 10] a few weeks ago.

"It was the same type of feeling where something happens, doesn't go our way, and instead of realizing that it's gonna be a 60 minute game, let's just keep playing, keep playing, keep playing, let's see what happens, it was a feeling like, 'Ah, shoot, here we go again.' "

In order to eventually become a championship-caliber team, the Redskins have to display more mettle, he said.

"In pro sports, you have to be mentally tough, you have to be physically tough," Fletcher said. "And at different stages, one is more important than the other, especially throughout the course of a game. That mental toughness part ... you have to be extremely mentally tough."

By Jason Reid  | December 6, 2010; 2:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Phillip Buchanon says benching was "coaches' decision"
Next: Mike Shanahan will talk about Haynesworth Wednesday

Comments

The Redskins traded up in the draft to get Campbell, surrendering a third round pick in the 2005 draft, along with first and fourth round picks in 2006. That was all wasted when the Redskins dumped Campbell after trading a 2nd and 3th round pick to get McNabb.

So, in dumping Campbell for McNabb, the Redskins let go of (1) 1st round pick, (1) 2nd round pick, two (2) 3rd round picks, and (1) 4th round pick.

Is McNabb really worth 5 valuable, high round, draft picks and $70 million more than Campbell, especially considering the 6 year age difference? Yes we all know the contract can be voided after this season, but if he plays and the contract isn't restructured, this is what he'll earn: $77 million.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 6, 2010 1:59 PM |

First off let me start by saying I was against dumping Campbell for McNabb. But in the interest of fairness. A 4th rounder is not a "high round pick" and 2nd, we get a 4th rounder for Campbell as well.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 6, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Please let London go to a team where he can finish his career and have some dignity.

He's not going to get that here. :(

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 6, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Daniels on Haynesworth: It's dragging us down

Comments (0) "BookmarkShare PrintPrint
By: John Keim 12/06/10 1:31 PM
Examiner Staff Writer

Phillip Daniels paused, his eyes started to water his words tough to find. He was choking up. At the end of an a nearly 10-minute brutally honest conversation about Albert Haynesworth, Daniels came to a bottom line and a realization. He’s friends with Haynesworth; he’s also 37 and desperate for a title.
“I’ve been through 15 seasons and I ain’t won [anything],” he said, before pausing for eight seconds. “So what I’m saying is, if I can come out and do this, don’t tell me you can’t do it….”
He paused again; more water; more lumps in the throat. Five seconds later he continued.
“I want every guy on this team to do well,” he said. “If you ain’t all in, you don’t need to be here. I’m tired of going through season after season where we lose games we should win, guys not doing the right thing, guys not putting the effort in. I’m tired of that. The Redskins, we deserve better as a team and as fans. We got a coach in here [Mike Shanahan] now that’s proven himself. He can win Super Bowls. Guys have to believe in what he’s doing. If you don’t believe in what he’s doing, then you don’t need to be here. And I’m speaking for everybody now. We’ll get through this man. I’m just upset that I spent 15 years of my career and I ain’t won [anything].”

Posted by: TWISI | December 6, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Remember early in the season...when the D was knocking out peeps on a regular basis...and kinda intimidating...that was nice.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 6, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

He also talked about:

On how others feel: “Guys feel the same way, man. I’m just a guy. I’ll tell you the truth and I’ll tell you how it is. I’m not going to hide behind anything. I’ll tell you how I feel. I would love for things to work out with him. You know how much he can help us. If he put everything he had into football. I’m talking about the workout part of it, the weight room, the studying, he had into football. He would no doubt be the NFL player of the year.”

On if a guy like Haynesworth can change at this stage of his career: “He was in his seventh year when he got here. I heard that from other guys that played with him, Randall Godfrey, Joe Salave’a. I talked to all those guys. They all said the same thing. I don’t know how much guys change. Your DNA follows you in a lot of ways. I saw things yesterday that I was disappointed in and I truly don’t want to sound like I’m bashing a guy or anything like that.”

On if he’s surprised to still be dealing with the Haynesworth saga: “Things were going good for a moment. Things were going great. He was out there playing and doing well. It’s always something else. I just wish the team could stay focused and not worry about things like this. When I come to the locker room on game day I expect guys to be ready to go and play. As a D-linemen, when you lose one of your guys it’s tough on us. You have to scramble and guys have to go to those positions and fill in. I just hate that it happened.”

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl/2010/12/daniels-haynesworth-its-dragging-us-down#ixzz17MNZ0mOQ

Posted by: TWISI | December 6, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Frankly, a little more physically tough wouldn't have hurt, either. The first drive of the game, Jacobs big run was through/around both contain guys on that edge.

No excuse. Grab an ankle, a shoestring, something, but for christ's sake don't whiff completely.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 6, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

"Bottom Line: it has become plainly evident that some people were wrong about Jason Cambpell."

Wrong about everything and always will be.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 6, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

On reports that Haynesworth could be cut: “It’s crazy, man. For a guy with all the talent and what he can do for this team, we want him to come in and help us win. The distractions are just not healthy. We would love for him to be here and do the things he can do. We saw what he can do on the field when he wants to; he’s had great games this year. At the same time he has to understand this is a business, people are putting money into you to come out here and do a job, to work and every play give it everything you’ve got. They pay you to come out and play football. Everything outside of that is not called for. When he looks back on all the things that happen, I’m not speaking as if this happens, then it would be a bad feeling for him to have gone through this and not put all this effort in. Me as a player, when someone is paying me money, I don’t care what amount they’re paying me I feel like you go on that field and give them everything you got. They expect you to do a job and that’s what you do, you go out and do your job. Me I take my job serious no matter what I make. It’s more the person, to go out there and do what you need to do. Albert needs to understand it’s a business. They don’t care when you’re gone. The thing is, what you did for them right now and the things right now is more important and your teammates are more important than all this stuff that’s going on with the organization right now.”

On if he’s talked to him today: “I haven’t sat down with him. But we’ve had conversations with him. London spoke with him. … Albert’s a great person; I’ve hung with him. He tries to, for the most part, fit in with the guys and we go out to dinner, eat lunch, hang out. Great guy. He just needs to think about what he’s doing for the football part of things and know that people are counting on you. Not the coaches, not the organization, but your teammates are counting on you. That’s what I play for every day, my teammates. That’s the part of the game that slipped by [Haynesworth].”

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl/2010/12/daniels-haynesworth-its-dragging-us-down#ixzz17MOWBvNI

Posted by: TWISI | December 6, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

On if Haynesworth let them down: “He let himself down. But in the process of letting yourself down, you let your teammates down in a lot of ways. I don’t think Albert ever bought into a 3-4. He spoke at times that he was good and he wanted to come in and do some things. He came in and everything was going so smoothly. Then the practice stuff, that kind of stuff. You’ve got to practice. That’s the problem with this team for a while now; guys not wanting to practice; guys not wanting to put forth the effort to help this team be better. If you don’t practice, you don’t play well. That’s been proven.

“Really, truly, I think everyone on this team is tired of talking about it. It drags you down. It doesn’t do anything for us in football. I’ll always care about Albert because he’s a guy I’ve been around and talked to and had good conversations with. But when you come to football it’s a business and that’s the side he has to understand.”

On having the same conversations last year: “I think times change, but certain people don’t and that’s how it is. Last year when I had this conversation I was saying guys need to practice and do what they need to do on the practice field. I haven’t missed a practice this year and I’m 37 years old. So why these young guys getting nicks and bruises and they feel like they have to miss practice? You can’t do that and win games. If I can do it at 37, then I know you can do it at 20-some. Everyone can do it.”

On if Shanahan didn’t put the team first by benching Haynesworth: “I think it’s the other way around. I think he puts the team first because he won’t let one guy come in here and destroy what we have. You put the team first when you think about the future and the things we have to do. If you don’t practice, you don’t play and that’s putting the team first and giving us the best chance to go out and be successful. He has to understand that. Coach Shanahan is doing a good job of that. He knew what we were missing last year. He knew we missed a lot of practices. The first thing they looked at when they came here, I bet, was how many practices everyone missed. You’ve got to change something. You can’t just sit there and keep letting it happen. That’s what he’s trying to do.”

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl/2010/12/daniels-haynesworth-its-dragging-us-down#ixzz17MOpqdo3

Posted by: TWISI | December 6, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Monk, you're a doosh among dooshes. I am amazed that you're able to type with a cock in your mouth.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 6, 2010 1:39 PM |

How original. What's funny is that most people here would rather read Monk than you. I guess that makes you less than a d0uche among d0uches with a barrell full of c0cks in all of your holes.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 6, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Barno1

We get your point.

Thing is, no aspect of the trade can be undone.

Moving forward, the franchise has to decide--again--if it wants to seek out yet another 'quarterback of the future'.

Keeping Campbell and rebuilding the line in front of him is what most smart people posted all last Spring.

Then Shanny traded for McNabb and sent Campbell packing--and the players added to the line didn't workout.

I guess Shanny is smarter than the rest of us after all.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 6, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

The Skins should offload AH immediate, something they should have done a long time ago. Points to the iffy side of MS - him wearing the "personnel" hat. He should have seen from the start that AH was going to be a thorn in his side and have taken what he could have gotten for him when his trade value was highest. Instead it came to this. Coughing up two valuable draft picks to rent an aging QB like McNabb for a yr wasn't exactly a genius personnel move either. You can be an expert Xs and Os guy but if you don't have the right personnel then you aren't going very far.

Posted by: EncinoMan | December 6, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 6, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse
------------------------

I thought it was a 5th or 6th... source?

Anyway, this is all water under the bridge. Campbell needed a change of scenery, and we probably did, too. He's a good guy and I wish him all the best but I don't lose sleep over not having him around.

If he has stayed, he probably would have done no better or worse than McNabb, everyone here would blame him for Eve eating the apple, he'd let his contract expire, and we'd be looking at Rex Grossman with a lot more fear and loathing than we already do.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 6, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Mental toughness?

WTF is that?

I'd just settle for some sort of physical toughness -- as in, make a tackle, hit someone harder than they hit you, or play somebody close enough that they come to hate the smell of your breath.

Redskins play and sound like the bunch of aging and overpriced prima donnas they are -- a bunch of fading ingénues who fail to realize they’ve gone well past their prime without ever amounting to much of anything -- but too damn set in their stupid and selfish ways to know or care about it.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 6, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

DID YOU GUYS SEE DEVIN THOMAS PLAY LIGHTSOUT!!! Who made the decision to let this young, full of potential high draft pick get cut, for nothing! This guy is going to HAUNT the skins for years to come! Ha! Some organization.

Posted by: Incognito00 | December 6, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 6, 2010 2:14 PM |

Keeping Camp wasn't the answer. He is doing pretty good with Oak because he is in a sit like he was in at Aub - good team around him, featured running game, etc., where a decent QB can do his part and find success. It wasn't going to happen in DC, especially with all the baggage he had picked up.

Posted by: EncinoMan | December 6, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Concerning McNabb vs Campbell.

Some people need a mirror so they can be on both sides of the fence at the same time and still be able to say they weren't on either side, just a bogger illusion

London may be right, but I think we need physical toughness to go along with the mental aspect. He's physical, he's mental - so are a few other guys - just not all eleven plus the subs. Our defense is soft, our players tackle like girls on long distance, reach out and touch that runner.

Posted by: Rando | December 6, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 6, 2010 2:04 PM |

scamp, all draft picks are precious commodities dude. one of snyder and his FO hires biggest blunders are trading draft picks.

Posted by: hessone | December 6, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 6, 2010 1:39 PM |

Lameo, dude. Can't you do any better than that?

Posted by: EncinoMan | December 6, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I think your expectations are too high. It's like expecting a penguin to fly! He says dumb things irregardless of the consequences. (ie. see N-word)

Hey beep, I think you should add doosh to your list of annoyingly repeated things.

Posted by: monk811 | December 6, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

And please mofos don't tell me that this is a team Shanana inherit. No way, stop looking for excuses! Half of the players in this roster were hand picked by Shanana and his cronies. Mcnabb was approved by Shanny and Bruce - Which by the way HAS ANYONE SEEN THIS GUY - Galloway, Shanny guy, Buchanon Shanny guy, all the RB shanny guys..etc,etc, DC shanny guy, OC Shanny son....list goes on bro, so dont tell me this is the team he inherited..stop it you want some cheese for that whine ...out@

Posted by: Incognito00 | December 6, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 6, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I'll take that as a compliment!!!

Posted by: monk811 | December 6, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | December 6, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Happens a lot with this team. It's because we don't have any depth. When a starter goes down he has to be replaced by a 5th, 6th, 7th round draft pick or some unsigned free agent off the street. We just don't have the talent.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 6, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

special teams don't look so good nowadays and there's no excuse for it. dsmiths job should be on the line in the offseason. I still think you should run the reverse on the kick-off instead of faking it. the element of suprize gets tossed out the window when you fake it.

Posted by: hessone | December 6, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I guess Shanny is smarter than the rest of us after all.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 6, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------

I differ on this one. Shanahan brought in TWill and Brown to start next to Dockery, Rabach, and Mike Will. Lickedandsticky and Heyer trying to help the interior of the line wasn't a part of the plan.

Neither was having to resort to the practice squad for backs, either. The line (and entire offense) would look a little better if it had Jacobs and Bradshaw rather than... uh... KWill and... and...

Problems this time of year speak to depth, not necessarily your Day 1 starter plan. This is the same thing that happened under Zorn... he had a great Oline and runners for the first 7 games. But then injuries took over and the depth issue wasn't addressed, starters got old, etc.

We saw the efforts Shanahan had to put in during the offseason just to field a respectable team for Day 1... but you can't expect him to fix everything in one offseason.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 6, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

But in Sunday's 31-7 loss to the Giants, Rogers was out again, and Buchanon was benched in the second half, replaced by second-year corner Kevin Barnes.

"No comment on that," Buchanon said. "That's the coaches' decision."

Right. And the decision was: "2010 is over, we know what your shti looks like, let's see what the kid can do". Which is what the lineup should look like from hereon out. Play them what might have potential to see what they have. It's their chance to prove themselves. And there's no reason to keep AH around - he has already proven that he drags the team down.

Posted by: EncinoMan | December 6, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 6, 2010 2:29 PM |

I am not the resident spell-check-police here but at least demonstrate that you understand basic English. 'Irregardless' isn't a word and in real life - which this isn't - you'd be laughed at by a homeless guy who likely knows that already.

Now, go fetch my afternoon smoothie you little nothing. Maybe I'll make fun of you and your life circumstance a little less that way.

Okay, maybe not.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 6, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I guess Shanny is smarter than the rest of us after all.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 6, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Let's say for sh*ts and giggles that McNabb has hit the wall and won't get any better than he was this year. There's no sense and trading for ANOTHER QB and we have too many needs to waste a 1st round pick on a youngin, so let's just stay pat with McNabb. I know, I can hear all the grumbling around the post, but we are at least 1 or 2 more offseasons away from being competitive, and if we get better on the lines and at WR, even if McNabb is as good as he was this year, we should win a lot of these closer games that we lost this year. I am for grabbing a QB this year only if we trade down once or twice and can still grab other major needs.

Posted by: monk811 | December 6, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

... but for christ's sake don't whiff completely.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 6, 2010 2:08 PM |

Dude - you need to use the right terminology. It's Chrissakes, as in

... but Chrissakes don't whiff completely.

Posted by: EncinoMan | December 6, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

The thing with Albert is ludicrous that way Shanny has handled this. He says team is first, but he is undermining the team in the direct way he is dealing with Haynesworth.

If Shanny felt that Al was a pig he should have cut him long ago. When you wrestle with a pig, you both get muddy and the pig loves it and the pig wins.

Shanny should have cut Albert long ago and used his slot to pick up the best nose guard he could find to help the 34 scheme.

Shanny is the Coach and not Albert and he chose to keep Albert on the Team, then Albert should play. Shanny should play his arse ragged. The Team is better with Albert on the field period.

The example to set with Albert should have been over and done with long ago, but to drag this crap out like Shanny is doing hurts the Team and does not put the Team first.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 6, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

The reality of just how far we are away is now firmly planted in the minds of the players....the beat down yesterday should remove any doubt, and make hollow any player statement about pride or playing to make next years squad. The harsh reality is setting in for about 40 guys+ in that locker roonm that they are just marking time....

Posted by: OriginalOldschool1 | December 6, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Mental toughness?

What about technique and fundamentals?

If you ever watch shows like NFC Playbook and NFL Match Up, the people who watch coach's tape say redskin defenders have horrible technique:

--safeties are often out of position

--linemen take a side on running plays or don't shed blocks

--the corners play too 'soft' on receivers and don't jam or block them from getting into their routes.

--Kedric Golston and Albert Hanynesworth are horrible defensive ends and are better suited to play over guards

--Lo Alexander just isn't working out as an outside linebacker

In other words, it's not the switch to a 3-4 that's the cuase of the redskin defensive woes: oaching and use of personnel are to blame.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 6, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

EncinoMan = structure

Posted by: hessone | December 6, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

but you can't expect him to fix everything in one offseason.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 6, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Half of the players in this roster were hand picked by Shanana and his cronies.

Posted by: Incognito00 | December 6, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------

Homeless people handpick half their clothes too, but that doesn't make them snappy dressers. Just because Mike handpicked most of his players doesn't mean they aren't from the league junk pile and the remains of Cerrato's rotting carcass of a team.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 6, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

careful moe, can't blame coaching up here. Thats a no-no....you'll get accused of not even watching the games....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 6, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 6, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 6, 2010 1:39 PM |

How original.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 6, 2010 2:13 PM |

Dude - be careful what you say. As I recall you have been known to "d0uche" monger quite a bit yourself.

Posted by: EncinoMan | December 6, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

but you can't expect him to fix everything in one offseason.

Posted by: mhartz1 | December 6, 2010 2:51 PM |

one should expect better management across the board, not seeing it though

Posted by: hessone | December 6, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Mental toughness?

WTF is that?

Posted by: Vic1 | December 6, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

THANK YOU SIR. WELL SAID.

I guess by mental toughness they meant Intestinal fortitude. They really dropped a deuce yesterday.

Posted by: Incognito00 | December 6, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

He's not going to get that here. :(

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz |

And let Daniels out of his personal Hell here, too.

I think more than anything, these two guys epitomize what is right in sports, whereas the Haynesworths and Snyders show what is wrong.

Posted by: TheCork | December 6, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 6, 2010 2:53 PM |

moe, better watch what you say about our elite QB too

Posted by: hessone | December 6, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Mental toughness?

What about technique and fundamentals?

--safeties are often out of position

--linemen take a side on running plays or don't shed blocks

--Lo Alexander just isn't working out as an outside linebacker

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 6, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I here ya, Moe.

I saw the lead to this post about "improving mental toughness".

My first thought was that the defense needs to improve its all-around ability to play defense...

Posted by: p1funk | December 6, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

you'll get accused of not even watching the games....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 6, 2010 2:53 PM

Not watching the games sounds pretty good right about now.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 6, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

And the Big Picture in all this mess is that Shanny is building and making the hard decisions that is going to make winners out of this franchise again.

I am not totally convinced of that. There have been many questionable decisions other than the Albert fiasco that destroys the framework of a good team.

I love when sports talk hosts and the media always give the coach/coaches the benefit of the doubt. We will find out whether Shanny and his crew really know what they are doing.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 6, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 6, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------

I'll tell you what caused BeanTownGreg to snort up his mocha-chino this morning: Kind of hard for a defensive game plan to hold up when your offense turns the ball over 6 times and special teams gets a punt blocked and misses a fg.

I just wonder whether the Colts forums are ready to fire Jim Caldwell for his D not stopping Manning from toss two to the visitors...

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 6, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

careful...can't blame coaching up here. That's a no-no....you'll get accused of not even watching the games

I don't really give two sh!ts about what folks think about what I post.

Besides, folks just cherry-pick through my posts to find a single nugget to build their negative posts on anyways.

When I'm wrong, I admit it.

But I see what we all see: the redskin team built to 'win-now' with a mix of vets and free agents is no different than the one fielded last Fall.

The Shanahans and Wily E. Coyote all share the same astrological sign if you ask me.

I say wipe the slate clean, go 3-13 a few years in a row, stockpile picks, and rebuild from the bottom up.

The bucs team that's coming to town has come out of that kind of rebuilding with a solid young quarterback, running back, rookie wideouts, and solid defense.

We're not improving going the way we've gone.

I suggest we try a new direction.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 6, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

RE: Haynesworth v. Shanahan

Bottom-line: By deactivating AH he is putting the team first, if he was playing AH he would lose the lockeroom and would be an EGO move by putting ONE guy ahead of the other 52 men in the lockeroom.

It really is as simple as that.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 6, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe |

Yup, except of course for the fact they switched to the 3-4 knowing full well they had 4-3 personnel on hand anyway.

EVERYONE in the front seven is playing at an unfamiliar position, out of position, or at a position where they are far less competent than what they used to play.

Haynesworth and Golston, as you pointed out were more effective as DTs. Of course, Haynesworth is a headcase, but that's an issue for another rant.

Alexander and Coleman have been ineffective as OLBs. Neither Coleman nor Orakpo get to play hand in the dirt next to Haynesworth.

Rocky Mac, at 230 has been moved inside where 260 is better for endurance.

Fletcher, a world class MLB is now a 3-4 LB.

'Skins have NO effective NG.

Can't stop the run means you can's stop the pass either.

This team is in a world of hurt.

Posted by: TheCork | December 6, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 6, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Seriously.

Yesterday we saw a team that had finally cut alot of the dead-weight guys who don't have a team-first attitude and don't practice hard.

Guys like DT11 and AH...can't win with 'em, right?

So we rolled out our team-first practice warriors, guys that can be unified around Shanny's vision.

...and then they got embarassed and quit by the middle of the 2nd quarter.

And that's the problem with Shanny's "Obey me completely if you want to succeed, or else" approach. It's that when it doesn't succeed, people eventually start wondering why they ought to put up with your "obey-me-or-else" act...

Posted by: p1funk | December 6, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 6, 2010 2:29 PM |

Okay, maybe not.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 6, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Fruit smoothy? Would you like your diaper changed and your favorite blanky too???

I know irregardless isn't a word, and if you were keeping up on the current events on the post you would get the joke, but you obviously don't have a sense of humor, or personal hygene, or morals......

Posted by: monk811 | December 6, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Is it possible that MS has a "Come to Jesus" moment at the end of the season and:

1. Fires Hashadit (but keeps the 3-4).
2. Releases McNabb.
3. Releases AH.
4. For them that read between the lines he practically shouts "This team needs work. Bad."

Posted by: EncinoMan | December 6, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

moe, I suggested that very thing this morning, trade EVERYONE worthwhile, and stock up on picks, I just don't think its gonna get better any time soon.

they need at least the following:

2 new guards who can start right away
2 new wideouts who can start right away
2 new defensive ends, 1 to start
1 new OLB, including a starter
2 new NT, including a starter
1 new S, to start right away
1 new qb to groom
2 new rb's, including 1 starter

the cupboard is currently bare....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 6, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

mattsoundworld

I hear you about the turnovers and poor offensive play yesterday.

But our D has played poorly since the third preseason game aginst the ravens.

I can't think of a 'shutdown' type game our D has had all year.

Teams are getting yards running at our DE's (Golston/Hanynie) and the 'backers/safeties/backside defenders are out of position on the type of cutback runs the jints twice scored on yesterday.

They are making basic defensive football errors.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 6, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

We're not improving going the way we've gone.

I suggest we try a new direction.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 6, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------

So far, we haven't made the type of future jeopardizing commitments which have been our hallmark of the past. Sure, McNabb could have been a reach, but his financial commitment won't kill us in the future.

Zorn was strapped to the holdovers from Gibbs II, and besides the Haynesworth anchor, which is thankfully behind us, we are at least free and clear to pursue a future team rather than pay a past one.

That IS an improvement, and if along they way, they mix in an exciting name that we can root for through half a season without mortgaging the ranch, fine.

Remember we were far more depressed at this time last year, right? At least they made things interesting for 8 games. And I believe we have a better forecast.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 6, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I suggest we try a new direction.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 6, 2010 3:00 PM |

raise up your glasses

here's a toast to a new direction , cheers

Posted by: hessone | December 6, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

RE: Haynesworth v. Shanahan

It really is as simple as that.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 6, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I wish it were as simple as that.

By deactivating Haynesworth you continue to devalue your asset. Get rid of the guy in the offseason, but play him now so he can at least be showcased to other teams.

Guys in the lockerroom aren't stupid. If they understand that AH is getting run b/c they are auditioning him to be shopped around in the offseason, then I'm sure they'd be fine with that. Shoot, I bet they'd play even harder knowing that it would help Ah look good and increase their chance of getting a valuable piece back for the team.

Either way, I'm hearing ex-players say that deactivating AH is doing him a favor. He gets to stay warm, cozy and uninjured on gameday, keeping himself healthy and rested and extending his career while cashing checks.

Posted by: p1funk | December 6, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

"I’ve been through 15 seasons and I ain’t won (anything)," Daniels said, before pausing for a long pause. "So what I’m saying is, if I can come out and do this, don’t tell me you can’t do it...I want every guy on this team to do well. If you ain’t all in, you don’t need to be here. I’m tired of going through season after season where we lose games we should win, guys not doing the right thing, guys not putting the effort in. I’m tired of that.....That’s the problem with this team for a while now; guys not wanting to practice; guys not wanting to put forth the effort to help this team be better. If you don’t practice, you don’t play well. That’s been proven....Really, truly, I think everyone on this team is tired of talking about it. It drags you down. It doesn’t do anything for us in football."

Phillip Daniels

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | December 6, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Incognito00

I'll take half of the Shanny versus the half of the Vinny/Gibbs guys that he couldn't get rid of.

Need I remind you:

Haynesworth, Vinny Guy
Rocky, Vinny Guy (After Portis made the pick)
Heyer, Vinny Guy
DT, Vinny Guy ( You don't draft great special teams players in the 2nd round!)
Malcolm Kelly, Vinny Guy
Brandon Lloyd, Archuleta, TJ Duckett etc..etc..
The reason there aren't more Vinny guys is because we haven't had enough draft picks left from trading for all those damn Vinny guys in the first place.

Shanny got a team with aging, overpaid content starters withe very few draft picks and NO DEPTH. I don't blame him for not being able to make us division champs in one off-season.

Criticize him on McNabb, since that is his baby, but I'm giving him a draft and another offseason or two before I jump ship on Shanny the GM.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 6, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 6, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like the Midget Megalomaniac should be in the market for an entirely new franchise -- I wonder if the owners of Tampa Bay could be convinced to up sticks and move to their entire team to DC. Then we can send the geezers from the burgundy and gold franchise down south with the other blue-rinsed snowbirds in one giant swap of one franchise for another -- straight up.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 6, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

theCork

Rocky Mac, at 230 has been moved inside where 260 is better for endurance...Fletcher, a world class MLB is now a 3-4 LB

Agreed.

Three larger linebackers to go along with B Orakpo would be best.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 6, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

matt, comparing this year to last, I'm not sure I see a big difference....not trying to be negative but have they really taken that big a step from last year?? I dont' see a victory the rest of the year, so lets say they finish 5-11...um...is that really what we're looking for??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 6, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

the cupboard is currently bare....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 6, 2010 3:09 PM |

greg, I've been saying this since last year, only to get ridiculed and do my penance

cut ties with anything cerrato except orakpo

Posted by: hessone | December 6, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 6, 2010 3:12 PM

Backwards. Playing him is what devalues him. He takes half the plays off. He won't get up off the field. He's been a joke since he came to the Redskins. You're not changing that by putting him on the field for four more games.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 6, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

But our D has played poorly since the third preseason game aginst the ravens.

I can't think of a 'shutdown' type game our D has had all year.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 6, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------------

Dallas :)

But in the big scheme of things, if 3-4 is the way to go, if that's what you really believe in and want to commit your organization to, why not jump in?

You mentioned your desire was to see something to the effect of the team 'blown up and rebuilt from the bottom up'. Well... this has all the classic symptoms of the D being 'blown up and rebuilt', right?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 6, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

...and then they got embarassed and quit by the middle of the 2nd quarter.

Posted by: p1funk | December 6, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

The problem is that without talent, it doesn't matter what those guys believe.

This team is made up of a few talented guys who are inconsistent, a couple more who don't work hard, and a whole bunch of players who work hard but aren't very good.

If you merged some of the latter group with some talented, hard-working, coachable players, you'd have something.

The Redskins haven't been able to do that. Many of their moves to develop depth or replace starters haven't panned out this year. Injuries mounted. Guys disappointed. And the team was once again exposed for a lack of depth. And they couldn't get rid of ALL the dead weight in one off-season. So, they don't have much of anything.

Posted by: jcabana | December 6, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 6, 2010 2:04 PM |

Posted by: hessone | December 6, 2010 2:28 PM |

My point was if you are going to tell a story tell the whole story, not just the parts that support your argument.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 6, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

5.5 Over/Under Skins offensive TD's the rest of the way

I'm going Under w/ 5

Posted by: retroskins14 | December 6, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | December 6, 2010 1:59 PM |

Barno, it's an interestiong question. But I don't think you can look at it that way. Each transaction is separate.

I"m not commenting on either QB. For the record, I think both have been negatively affected by poor OL play. So that is the area that I think needs to be addressed. From a stats standpoint, both have similar records. Back in April, my initial feeling was that we should have kept JC, used 2nd round pick strengthening OL. But I do like DMac, I think he is a much better leader than JC. Just don't think we can do very well until we can improve our run-oblocking and pass protection.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 6, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 6, 2010 3:24 PM |

Man, if this is the new rule I don't think many guys will try to tell a story up here. I know I've told my last story.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 6, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Backwards. Playing him is what devalues him.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 6, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I agree. I think we should all realize that the AH ship has sailed. There is no way to devalue him any further, nor is there a way to increase his value at this point.

He has a manageable contract and we will get a late round 5 or 6 for him in the off season.

Sure, it would feel good to just cut him, but that makes no sense. The way to play this is send him home for the rest of the year. As long as we pay him there is no rule in the CBA against this.

Just get him away from the locker room and someone will give us a late pick for him at some point.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 6, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

p1- either way AH wins. Cut him, sit him, or play him he's been paid 34+ mil. The league knows what AH is capable of when he's playing for a contract and not playing him doesn't diminish his already low trade value. It's too late to salvage this colossal failure and this is an expensive lesson for Danny, but everyone in the league saw the red flags with AH except...Danny.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 6, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jcabana | December 6, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Actually, it appears this team is made up of a few familiar names who might be able sell a few club level seats and some jerseys -- for example, the cast of the past summer's "R U IN" advertising campaign -- and a whole bunch of other team's practice squad cast offs, over-the-hill and oft-injured reclaimation projects, and other roster-fillers. In essence, lots of sizzle but no steak.

And then we tie up fully one-fourth of the annual payroll in a select two or three players... trade away most of our draft picks... and fail to develop the rest.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 6, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

the bottom line no matter what ya think,

AH wins and snyder loses

a fool and his money

Posted by: hessone | December 6, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 6, 2010 3:12 PM

Posted by: beep-beep | December 6, 2010 3:20 PM |

Agreed. If there was ever a question about Haynes-girth, it was his conditioning rather than his play. Now, there isn't a GM in the league that thinks the guy isn't in the best condition he's ever been in - all of 2010's drama aside.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 6, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 6, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------

No no of course not. But I believe wins tend to be a lagging indicator of organizational health.

Look at the Vikings. That team was built from the inside out like any perennial contender, and then they had made all the classic Redskin mistakes of snapping up free agents and stars long before the wheels fell off. Now Ziggy Wilf gets the dreaded 'I'd hate to play for an owner that doesn't want to spend money to win' vote of confidence.

Same thing with the Cowboys. Jones was running out of Parcell's guys long before the collapse.

But I look at the Chiefs and Bucs and see their records last year were worse than ours, yet they were already on the organizational mend, so to speak. This year neither is ready to win the Super Bowl, but they are definitely on the right track.

So I say give it a year or two. The wins will come.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 6, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

First off let me start by saying I was against dumping Campbell for McNabb.

I was against giving Campbell the cold shoulder for a different reason.

To me, after a season of enduring 43 sacks, he was a tackling dummy.

So, my opinions late last year were that he should have been extended to hold the q-back position warm while the offensive line was reconfigured.

And while that occured, he'd either improve or continue being a mediocre tackling dummy.

It is where we are with D McNabb.

The difference?: money and draft picks.

Keeping Campbell to absorb the brunt of a re-building offensive line means we could've ketp the picks that got us McNabb.

And with those picks, you rebuild the line and draft a young'n to take over in 2012.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 6, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

AH wins and snyder loses

a fool and his money

Posted by: hessone | December 6, 2010 3:38 PM

No, this is wrong. Both AH and Snyder are losers. AH is not admired and respected in this league. He got a big payday from Snyder, but he'll never get another big payday. He had a shot at the HOF. He doesn't now. These were two fools with their money.

Posted by: beep-beep | December 6, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Remember when we traded for Jason Taylor? Yeah, that was a funny one. I remember that one real well. Oh, the days of Vinny. Great times weren't they.

Posted by: Devo2 | December 6, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 6, 2010 3:29 PM

Remember...

That ship has sailed.....the most we can get is a ham sandwich...we can use him to try to move 6 spots up in the 6th round....Nothing more than that.

Because HAynesworth is going to have to pick his next team for him to do well. He just isn't going to show up a new man to a team he didn't want to go to.......STAMPED...

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 6, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | December 6, 2010 3:45 PM |

I think you know what I meant beep, between AH and snyder, however, your point is well taken.

Posted by: hessone | December 6, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

like i've said we are only 40 or so guys away from being competitive....I am hoping and have been for along time to rid our roster of all the old (fan favorites and never weres alike) I see no reason to keep the flethers and p.daniels etc, its like arranging deck chairs on the titanic, they not part of the future so why are they in your present.... younger stronger faster across the board...

Posted by: OriginalOldschool1 | December 6, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Rocky Mac, at 230 has been moved inside where 260 is better for endurance.

Fletcher, a world class MLB is now a 3-4 LB.

'Skins have NO effective NG.

Can't stop the run means you can's stop the pass either.

This team is in a world of hurt.

Posted by: TheCork | December 6, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I must have missed it. When did we resign Monty Coleman?

Posted by: frediefritz | December 6, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan called Devin, Derrick twice during the presser...that's funny.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 6, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

They probably should have shown the Giants an 8 man front given most of their starting receivers were out with injuries.At the very least they should have blitzed more.I remember a game earlier in the season that they basically just rushed 4 guys the whole game.Haslett's game planning makes me so angry.

Posted by: curly44 | December 7, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse