Redskins' executive director of communications fired

Updated 3:10 p.m.: Zack Bolno, the Redskins' executive director of communications the past two seasons, confirmed Sunday that the team fired him.

"I've enjoyed my two-plus seasons with the Redskins organization," Bolno said in a phone interview. "I worked with some wonderful people and we shared some great experiences and challenges. I would like to thank my loyal, dedicated and supportive public relations staff and wish them the very best."

Bolno declined to provide details of the reasoning behind the move, saying he would let the Redskins answer those questions.

Contacted on his cell phone, Tony Wyllie, senior vice president, would only confirm Bolno no longer is with the organization, saying the team does not discuss personnel matters. Wyllie joined the organization in May.

Formerly a vice president with the Houston Texans, Wyllie has retained Michael Pehanich and Matt Taylor from Bolno's staff, and he recently promoted Taylor. It is not known whether the Redskins plan to hire someone to replace Bolno.

Bolno, formerly the Wizards' director of communications, performed his usual duties in the press box Saturday night during a 23-3 loss to the Baltimore Ravens at FedEx Field. Bolno's tenure with the organization coincided with that of former coach Jim Zorn, who went 12-20 and was fired at the end of the 2009 season.

By Jason Reid  |  August 22, 2010; 1:40 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kareem Moore could miss six weeks
Next: Rhabdomyolysis sidelined Haynesworth in practice

Comments

First victim of the post-game tirade?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 22, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

1st to say who gives a sh!t.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 22, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

The defensive leaders of this team need to take Hayney out behind the woodshed.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 22, 2010 1:33 PM

Yeah...that'll work. Nice one.

Posted by: edvar | August 22, 2010 1:42 PM |

Yeah cuz your idea of Hayney and Shanney sitting down for a circle jerk is gonna happen.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 22, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Report: Haynesworth likely has rhabdomyolysis
Posted by Mike Florio on August 22, 2010 1:50 PM ET
After Saturday night's preseason game against the Ravens, Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth accused coach Mike Shanahan of minimizing the health condition that kept Haynesworth out of practice for multiple days last week.

Symptoms reportedly include dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and swelling, and the condition is caused by, among other things, severe exertion or heat exposure. Two of the practices Haynesworth missed resulted from heat-related symptoms. On Thursday, Shanahan said that Haynesworth had a "headache."

(Though I'd never heard the term "rhabdomyolysis" before, I once developed it by running five miles on a hot day while not being in very good shape. I ended up at the urologist due to brown urine -- please enjoy your Pepsi -- and the urologist said it was due to muscle damage from overexertion in hot conditions. And, please, feel free to comment on how you don't care about my own personal experiences in this regard.)

As to Haynesworth, the episode further poisons the relationship between player and team. We suspect that, if/when a starting-caliber defensive tackle in a 4-3 defense tears an ACL, Haynesworth would be shipped to that team within hours. With Haynesworth already vowing not to show up for next year's offseason program, it's safe to say that 2010 will be his last year in D.C., barring a miracle

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 22, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Bolno shook his 8-Ball and portended a never-ending drawn-out showdown of quotes and misinformation between Shanny and Team Albert that began long ago in the summer time. He realized his job is to stand right smack in the middle of it.

I bet he got a "headache" thinking about it and decided to quit.

Posted by: p1funk | August 22, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Report: Haynesworth likely has rhabdomyolysis
Posted by Mike Florio on August 22, 2010 1:50 PM ET

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 22, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

When did Shanny know about this condition? Why not report to the media the extent of AH's condition? JLC reported AH was treated for the condition and that symptoms can last a week or two. Is AH going to continue to run with the third team until he's healthy?

Posted by: TWISI | August 22, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

"Per Jason La Canfora of NFL Network, Haynesworth likely has rhabdomyolysis, a condition arising from damage to muscle fibers and the release of muscle fiber contents into the bloodstream."

I don't know what to make of this. If I am reading the above sentence correctly, JLC's report is speculation based on a diagnosis he or one of NFLN's producers made after reading a Physician's Desk Reference or WebMD. It doesn't appear that anyone actually said AH received such diagnosis. But if he did, then the Shanny/AH saga has moved into Arrington/GWilliams territory and we know how well that worked.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 22, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

... the Shanny/AH saga has moved into Arrington/GWilliams territory and we know how well that worked.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 22, 2010 2:18 PM

That would be a good thing. Arrington bought out his contract.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 22, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching the game that I DVR'd and it's at 9:34 of the second quarter. To this point I'd say these teams were pretty evenly matched. I wouldn't expect much more than I've seen against the Ravens D. Couple things I've noticed 1) McNabb to Cooley and Moss could be deadly this year. 2) Fletcher is still a beast. 3) Armstrong making a strong case for himself. 4) Landry looks much improved so far. 5) LJ has some work to do. 6) Trent Williams had his work cut out for him. He did ok not great. Suggs does this stuff to a lot of people. 7) Carter still looks lost although not as bad as last week. 8) McIntosh seems to be adapting well. 9) McNabb still has accuracy issues although not nearly as bad as JC. 10) Maake Alphabet has some work to do.

Questions: Why did Jamaal Brown come out so early? Wasn't up to full speed after time off? What game were the refs watching? I've seen so many holding calls not made. Fake punt? Looks like someone took this game too seriously.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 22, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

SICWIDIT's take on Haynesworth:

There is one caveat in this whole saga that people are omitting. If what Mike Shanahan has said is true, he met with Shanahan prior to giving him the 21 million and told him he would release him if he didn't take the money and decided he didn't want to play in this defense. But he told him if he took the money, he expected him to play where assigned.

Shanahan and Allen are at a crossroads:

If you cut him...it sends the message that all I have to do is whine a bit and I'll untimately get my way.

If you keep him, then he could be a distraction.

Here's what I wouldn't do:

a) cut him outright
b) have him come off the bench unless his play is absolutely horrible.

Posted by: silkydee1 | August 22, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 22, 2010 2:26 PM

You skipped a chapter or two. Apparently, you don't remember the team starting Warrick "The Human Folding Chair" Holdman ahead of Arrington out of spite. That's what I'm referring to. And getting rid of AH won't make the d-line better, especially against the run. Kemo is terrible and Gholston isn't in AH's class.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 22, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

LH beeps to new post. Seems AH not the first Skins to experience this condition.

Posted by: TWISI | August 22, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Brian Mitchell made a great point on ESPN "The Fan"....

Donovan McNabb had 8 dropped passes totaling over 130 yards. He could have easily had over 300 passing yards in the first half.

I'm not worried as much about the offense. I'm worried about the defense.

Posted by: silkydee1 | August 22, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

"I'm watching the game that I DVR'd and it's at 9:34 of the second quarter."

At like 6:20 in the second it's 3-3 when they try the fake punt. Never happens during the regular season. At about 3 mins left Moss drops a pass over the middle, that was a HUGE play. Lots of dropped passes for the Redskins also. McNabb played most of the 2nd quarter with a bum ankle, he threw lots off his back foot.

The starters looked good on defense sans Carter.

Yes, there was LOTS of bad calls by the refs last night. Seems the refs aren't calling as many penalties this pre-season in all of the games. I wonder if someone told them to speed them up.

"After Saturday night's preseason game against the Ravens, Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth accused coach Mike Shanahan of minimizing the health condition..."

Fat Albert reminds me of the kid who gets a scratch on his knee and needs 20 bandaids. He pulled that crap last year also. I'm sure this is something that happens more frequently in the NFL then people say, Fat Al can't be the ONLY one this happens to.

I seem to recall them showing a close up of him last night and he refused a drink of water. Idiot.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 22, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Did he play last night?
No, so he's insignificant and irrelevant.

But the relivance here is he was one of JR's unnamed sources.

Posted by: psssst | August 22, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"I'm worried about the defense."

Why?

Two weeks in a row they looked pretty good and have caused turnovers. If it wasn't for a fake the Ravens don't get into the endzone.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 22, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

About time!

Let the front office purge begin.

Posted by: Vic1 | August 22, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 22, 2010 2:35 PM

You're right. I'm at the point, though, where I don't think AH wants to play better than Kemo or Gholston, and I can't see anything that will change him. He is to the Redskins as the trolls are to Redskins Insider. So, I see his buying back his contract and moving on as preferable to that.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 22, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I suspect this could be a classic case of shooting the messenger who bears the bad news.

Trouble is, for all of the off-season posturing, hype and press releases, the product on the field this season will be only marginally a little more competitive than last year's dismal team.

I also suspect that season ticket sales are down... badly... as team lackies serious wonder about the real prospect of television blackouts of local games that fail to sell out. Hence the "R U in?"
propoganda campaign and the movement (finally) to single game ticket sales.

After 10 years (and counting) of supporting the lies and illusions, it's apparently become more difficult to fool some of the people, all of the time... as had been Snyder's forte.

Is Bolno to be criticized for failing to generate enough hype for another doomed season ahead... or is he simply another ceremonial offering to Snyder for the continued failure of this organization to do the little things that matter in fielding winning football teams?

Posted by: Vic1 | August 22, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Another potential scenario:

Was it only coincidence that media were hustled away from AH92 after a mere 90 seconds of his tirade?

Most better reporters would simply stand their ground and get the details... but for some reason, the news media did as they were told...

But even so, somebody's head was gonna roll.

Did Redskins fire the flack because he allowed press to interview the player?

Next: Locker Room is closed. No more interviews. With anyone.

BTW -- "R U IN?" spells RUIN.

Posted by: Vic1 | August 22, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Nothing has changed. Snyder still calls the shots. This poor guy was fired because he didn't shut Hayensworth up before he went on his rant.

Posted by: MKadyman | August 22, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Fired because he was unable to make Snyder look good? Wouldn't want that job!

Posted by: jburnetti | August 22, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Fired because he was unable to make Snyder look good? Wouldn't want that job!

Posted by: jburnetti | August 22, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Beyond the first drive, it seemed that the Ravens were able to pressure McNabb fairly consistently. he did show some elusiveness which I don't think JC had; however, his accuracy was off and his recievers were unfortunately more reminiscent of Virgil Seay than Charlie Brown. I know there has been a lot of b&f on the Sugg's one sack; I thnk he had a few hurries in there as well and perhaps the sound of his footsteps abetted some of McNabb's errant throws. Note that the big play to Armstrong was horribly underthrown but Armstrong did make an excellent adjustment. Hopefully, Armstrong's performance will quell the MM fans abit. Note also, that Armstrong's drop was thrown well behind him; when the pundits are counting up the number of drops, they aren't adjusting for poor throws by McNabb.

In short - I think the blunder on the fake punt which some are minimizing is offset by the one big play by McNabb which was 100% the reciever making a great play. Both were a bit BS.

I am unwilling to predict a successful season (>8 wins) at this point. Playing the last place schedule should help get us to 7 wins or so. However, the entire line seemed to get beat - not just Williams - albeit without many sacks to show for it. The main reason I am predicting that many wins is London Fletcher and the D. I think they'll keep us close enough to win a few games more so than I expect a substantial increase in offensive scoring over last year.

And whining about the refs in a preseason game is unbecoming; who cares? I think I would feel a lot better about the team if the receivers had shown the ability to hold on to the well thrown balls that came their way.

just my opinions at this point.

btw - living in columbia, listening to 105.7 FM, the Ravens fans are underwhelmed by their performance against the skins and are not terribly celebratory. They see the Skins as terrible and a joke and for the Ravens to be serious SB contenders, more of a pasting should have been delivered. Just saying.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | August 23, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Do you ever wonder if Snyder realizes just how small and petty he looks when he fires a Communications Director because Haynesworth ran his mouth? Proof that cash can't buy class, I guess.

Posted by: Gunga2009 | August 23, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse