Redskins' Graham Gano: 'I'm never really nervous'

The Redskins held a slim three-point lead with less than two minutes to play when Graham Gano trotted onto the field for the biggest -- and longest -- field goal of his professional life. The second-year kicker had only four field goal attempts as a pro heading into the night, and the 49-yard attempt was the longest he'd ever stared down.

"I thought as I was going out there, 'this is a pretty big kick, you know, against Dallas,' " said Gano. "But I'm never really nervous. I get some butterflies before a game, but football's fun to me."

He drilled the kick, which meant that on the Cowboys' final drive, Tony Romo needed a touchdown rather than a field goal to stay in it. And it's a good thing because the Cowboys reached the Washington 13-yard line on their final possession, well within field goal range.

Gano was 2-for-2 on attempts in Sunday's 13-7 win over the Cowboys, kicking a 29-yarder on the team's opening possession. That final kick could've been a bit closer for him, but on third-and-two, rookie tackle Trent Williams drew a costly false start penalty, pushing the ball back five yards.

Warming up on the sideline, kicking into a net, Gano didn't even notice.

"Did we do that?" he asked after the game. "I'm sitting in a zone. If they moved it back 20 yards, I probably wouldn't notice."

Gano actually drilled a third field goal, a 36-yarder in the third quarter. But Dallas was called for defensive offsides. Rather than stick with the points, Coach Mike Shanahan took the first down, nullifying Gano's field goal.

"It is easy for me because I have always done it," Shanahan said of his decision. "Sometimes, it will come back to haunt you just like it did. But sometimes it won't, especially where he kicked it."

After the penalty, the Redskins reached the Dallas five-yard line before Gano came back on the field for a 23 yard attempt. But punter Josh Bidwell couldn't handle the high snap and Gano never got a chance to kick it. Still, he doesn't mind that his first attempt attempt at the kick was wiped off the boards.

"I was pumped," he said of the penalty. "I was running off the field pumping my fist because I know we got first down. That's an opportunity to get a touchdown."

The Redskins had a few of those Sunday night but never executed on offense. But Gano still managed to put points on the board and help the team to its first division win since 2008.

By Rick Maese  |  September 13, 2010; 11:15 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Donovan McNabb-Chris Cooley chemistry continues to develop
Next: Offensive line strategy creates competition for Dockery

Comments

Gano might be the best kicker we've had since we let Akers get away....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 13, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Gano's fine - but that punter may not be the FIRST kicker we have leave midseason!

Posted by: SkinsSinceDayOne | September 13, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

REPOST

When was your defense in position to create turnovers? I seem to recall to dropped picks by our guys. Don't much recall your guys having those same opportunities. Delusional.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 13, 2010 10:30 AM

Scampbell, you're dumb and delusional. The Cowboys picked off McNabb in the endzone but it was called back due to penalty.

Posted by: dallasinthedmv | September 13, 2010 10:44 AM

Well, I was gonna say way to lose with class and dignity unlike some of your less learned brethren but...

Yes, I forgot about that one. Certainly doesn't make me dumb or delusional. Claiming that your defense was in position to make turnovers all night while actually making none and claiming our defense wasn't while we dropped 2 picks in one series AND took a fumble to the house is both dumb AND delusional.

...And what you are really saying is you DIDN'T pick off McNabb in the endzone see, penalties negate plays.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 13, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

"...They rotated Dockery and Lichtensteinberghamlet at RG b/c they claim that is basically still an open competition. Also a good way to real time develop the depth.

So the rotating Onlines was a strategy not due to injury....

Posted by: chrislarry | September 13, 2010 10:54 AM

Indeed chrislarry is correct.
It was strategic not due to injury.

Point of Clarification:
They actually rotated at LG and not RG.
HTTR!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 13, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsSinceDayOne | September 13, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Another key note is the Long Snapper was very poor. I wouldn't be shocked if they brought in some competition at snapper and punter later this week. Definitely needed at LS

Posted by: Devo2 | September 13, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know where Ethan Albright is?

That Sundberg guy has me nervous. As it gets later in the season, we cannot afford to have high snaps.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 13, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know where Ethan Albright is?

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 13, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know where Ethan Albright is?

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 13, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Yes, letting Akers go has reminded us for years, that sometimes the GM and HC have to pick one to let go, and really don't know which one will be the correct choice.

I'm trying to recall, who did we keep instead of David Akers? Anyone recall?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 13, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I am sorry but I have to object to the repeated references to the snap on the botched FG being "high." Maybe by and inch or two, but it was face high for Bidwell and well in the catchable range. That muff was on Bidwell and not on the long snapper.

Posted by: manlius1 | September 13, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

"Final: Redskins hold on for 13-7 win over rival Cowboys"

Jim Zorn: Well, gosh.

I'm glad I left Mike Shanahan a firm foundation to built on.

Vinny Cerrato: I hear ya'.

And I wonder when folks will congratulate me on crafting the playoff ready roster I left behind.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 13, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

agree, that snap should have been handled.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | September 13, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: manlius1 | September 13, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I thought Trevor Matich had the best take on this during CSN post game. He said that if he could only blame one of them, he'd blame the holder. Having said that, he said that the snapper should mentally treat it as if it was his fault so that he'll keep practicing to make his long snaps perfect.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 13, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

RT @RickMaese: Overnight ratings for Sun Night Football up 24% from last year's Week 1 opener and was top rated Sun Night Football game ever 30 minutes ago

Posted by: TWISI | September 13, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Hey Everyone,
I did a little research, in 1999 the Eagles picked up the already cut, David Akers.
Norm Johnson kicked FG and XP for the Eagles that year, and Akers was picked up because he was much longer on Kickoffs.

The next season [2000] Akers won the kicking job and had a terrific year making 29 of 33 FG!

in 1998 the Skins place kicker was Cary Blanchard, in 99 Brett Conway won the job.
He was only 24, had a good 99 and it seemed at the time to be the right choice for years to come.

Akers kicked for the Skins one game in 98, making 2 XP. Akers was 24 at the time.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 13, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Wow, excuses, huh? Nice. You know, if Dallas is supposed to be sooooo good and the Super Bowl favorites, shouldn't you have beaten us by 20? It shouldn't of come down to that ONE play.

Posted by: rachel216 | September 13, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of stupid predictions, I'm glad we rubbed it into the face of that a-hole Rodney Harrison. Did anyone catch the azz end of Football Night in America when Tony Dungy and Harrison were making their predictions on the game? They both said Dallas would win, then azzhat added "convincingly, they'll win convincingly". We showed you, you were a dirty player anyway. I'll give you the biggest insult I can think of: go be a Cowpie fan!

Posted by: monk811 | September 13, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Watching game film is boring. Playing Rag Doll Blaster is fun!

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 13, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

ooops, see that I overlooked to mention that Akers in that 98 season had two FG opportunities but was 0-2.

Needless to say Akers apparently handled the pressure much better when he went to Philly, making the most of his opportunities in 90

So Actually Casserley made the decision to release Akers based upon the only data he had before him. At the time, it WAS the correct choice.

Good Day, everyone.
HTTR

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 13, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

"The second-year kicker had only four field goal attempts as a pro heading into the night, and the 49-yard attempt was the longest he'd ever stared down."

This ignores his UFL career, which included 16 attempts (13 makes) and a long of 53 yards, not to mention the game-winning kick in the championship game.

Posted by: Tank2 | September 13, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: manlius1 | September 13, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 13, 2010 11:41 AM
-----------------------------------------
Sounds like words of wisdom. I think they need to stick with the current personnel and just work through this. The punter made a few bad punts last night as well so I would put him on notice to step up his game, but I don't think it's time to cut anyone.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 13, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Take a look at this link. I didnt know that our center has distinguishing stat. Yikes.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 13, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the correction Ray...Left/right still very challenging for me.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 13, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | September 13, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 13, 2010 11:52 AM
------------------------------------------
RH is pathetic, but I do like the way he just gets this dog-taking-a-dump look on his face whenever Dungy contradicts him. Did anyone notice in the pre-game show how they all moved to the podium and RH forgot his lines? He stood there like an idiot and laughed until Dungy bailed him out. Maybe he'll be the first cut of the new season...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 13, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

A lucky win by the Redskins is a win nevertheless and congratulations are in order. But I won't do it.

Ladies and gents, it's a long season so don't go booking tickets to the Super Bowl just yet, based on the whistle of a renegade ref who decided to determine the outcome of the game. Never forget the Cadavers (nod to MrIrvin88) were outplayed from start to finish. See you in Cowboys Stadium.

We Will Defend the Star!!

Posted by: BigBlueStar | September 13, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Having been a QB in high school back in the day where QBs doubled as the holder, the snap in question was well in range to be handled. He didn't have to leave his knees to grab the snap, the ball simply slipped through his hands. Which brings me to another point as to why QBs should still hold, for situations just like this. You get a guy who is used to throwing it instead of guy that just panics and falls on his back. I mean Gano showed more heart than Bidwell, at least he tried to take make a block on one of the rushers. The only good thing out of that play was, that Bidwell didn't fumble the ball. They should have Beck holding snaps during practice this week.

Posted by: clark202 | September 13, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Jeeziz, scairt the sh*t outta the neighbors last night (and they live half a mile away!!).."Note to self: Must...take...more...drugs...to...knock...self...out...on..NFL..Sunday...Sincerely..Yours..Self"

Posted by: frak | September 13, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: manlius1 | September 13, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Note that Bidwell almost mishandled one earlier too, iirc.

Posted by: WorstSeat | September 13, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Terrell Owens...He's my homie!!**sniff**

Posted by: frak | September 13, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

clark202,
i agree that a qb should be the holder. better for bad snaps (not that this was one - it was a marginal snap and a bad catch...), and for fakes.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | September 13, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I still don't understand having a punter hold on the kick. To me your better having a QB do it every time.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 13, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Sheesh, just trade Heinousworth to the Titans for one of Chris Johnson's backups and some change..Those backups behind Johnson iz DOPE!!

Posted by: frak | September 13, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Love the uni's. Like to see the R or spear helmet w/ it. D and special teams played well enough. Mcnabb's preseason injury has slowed the O progress but I'll take the W. HTTR!

Posted by: Realness1 | September 13, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Good God, I can't believe Casey and Jammal are #1 and #4 for holding penalties from 2005-2009. Surprise, surprise, Casey did have one of our five penalties last night.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | September 13, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | September 13, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

That is exactly what I thought. I know Rabach gets blown up from tome to time, I guess I didnt realize how much.

How did that stat slip through? I mean we got people on this board that have stats for everything, but I have never seen this one.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 13, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

"psp, you see that when TWIll did jump offsides, #75 jumped in his grill about it...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 13, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse"

I did see that, and I loved it. This line looks like a trusting, cohesive unit out there. A far cry from last year.

Posted by: psps23 | September 13, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BigBlueStar | September 13, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Renegade ref? Did you see the full nelson your boy Barron put on Orakpo?

A renegade ref would have not called that.

Orakpo might need to take a pregnancy test after that hold.

If we were outplayed from beginning to end, why were you on the short end of the scoreboard?

Outplayed from the beginning? Maybe. But not the end, blueboy.

I admire you for defending the star like it's the Alamo (but then again we know how that ended, don't we?)

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 13, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BigBlueStar | September 13, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that pesky ref who didn't let the Cryboys cheat. I can't believe they called a choke hold either. HAHAHA! You should be grateful, Orakpo would've cracked Romo in two if Barron didn't hold him.

I hate to break it to ya but what determined the outcome of the game was the Redskins outscoring the Cowboys.

Posted by: HTTR | September 13, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey Everybody,
Liked the pants last night.
By the way, the socks were also a throwback sock.
The design of the pants were indeed the design during the George Allen years.
Yet the shade was a bit more modern brighter gold, rather than the darker more mustard shade during the Allen years.

I would love to go back to the spear helmet of the 60's, but Bruce Allen is into bringing back the days of his dad...

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 13, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PampaTex | September 13, 2010 9:56 AM

Actually, yes. You see, in the game of football the team with the most points wins. So, stop crying and stop with the lame excuses.

And, YOU are welcome for us letting the Cryboys stay in the game and not making it a blowout. Let's see:

Back-to-back dropped passes in the endzone after 1st and goal.

Botched FG from near extra point distance.

Carlos "can't catch a cold" Rogers dropping an INT off his wrist in that last drive.

We should've put up at least 23 points. This could've and should've been a blowout but you rump wranglers were fortunate enough to still be in the game at the end thanks to OUR mistakes. How convenient you tards think that only your mistakes had an outcome on the game.

So, YOU ARE WELCOME for the Skins keeping the game close. Regardless, whether it was by 1 point or 101 points, YOU STILL LOSE!!! BWAAAAAHAHAHAHA!!!

HTTR

Posted by: HTTR | September 13, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

"Redskins' Graham Gano: 'I'm never really nervous' "

me either outcome never in doubt typing w nose 'cause chewed off nails and tips of fingers not being nervous at all while watching

Posted by: 4-12 | September 13, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Watching closely, I did note, that Dallas' offense played differently with Haynesworth in the game. They misdirected away from him. On his first play they went for a run up the middle where they were having some pretty good success and it was completely shutdown. After that they adapted and changed.

Like it or not folks (and Shanny) Haynesworth has an intimidating effect on opposing offensive lines. Something to keep in mind before you trade him. Best to try to work with the guy given you've already paid him 32 million dollars this year.

Posted by: periculum | September 13, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Hey, anyone see that game last night?

I'm with you, 4-12. After the game, I looked down and though, "What the heck did I do to my thumbnail? Ouch!"

Good times, good times.

Of course, since Seattle demolished San Fran yesterday, the Seahawks fans out here will be crawling out from under their rocks today. Ah, well. I just remind myself that a lot of those people are my friends, so I tolerate them.

HTTR, and let's get ready for those Texans.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 13, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: beep-beep | September 13, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Attaboy Graham. Nice game. Stay in that zone!

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | September 13, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BigBlueStar | September 13, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I guess denial ain't just a river in Egypt. I guess you are lucky you signed that "Human Holding Machine" Barron, cause if it weren't for him holding Orakpo, they'd STILL be scraping Homo off OUR turf with snow shovels. OOhh, gives me chills just thinking about it. But just wait, maybe it's more fitting for your own stadium crew to scrape him off your own pathetic field when Orakpo clobbers him on Sunday December 19. Sweep here we come!!! Sucks, don't it Cowpies?????

Posted by: monk811 | September 13, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 |

That's a great find, though a weird stat. Interesting that Brown made the list, even with a missed season. Of course, to be called for holding a lot, you are probably on the field most of the time. And, perhaps its because you're given 1 on 1 assignments.

It is a bit like having a top home run hitter also be a leader in strikeouts.

If Trent Williams is among the league leaders in holding calls this year, it might be because of the guys he's facing in 1 on 1 (no help) situations.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 13, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

We Will Defend the Star!!

Posted by: BigBlueStar | September 13, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh Please!!! Last night's game was a replay of the 11/09 game, only thing different was the outcome. Get off your high horse, put down the kool-aid and open your eyes bud! Romo would've been laid out by Orakpo and the outcome would've been the same. Last night was ugly, but so was last years game. What's your excuse for that game? Or the arse whipping laid on to your 'Girls by Minny in the post? Wait, you don't have one...because while Dall-a$$ does have some talented players on the team, they are (to paraphrase a quote) "Who we though they were"...exposed and overrated!!!

HTTR!!!

Posted by: Southernbelle_aurora | September 13, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I said I'd show up and take my medicine if we lost, but let's be clear about something: You heathens don't really think the Redskins won last night, do you? -

Scoreboard. Clown

Posted by: swalker5 | September 13, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Can't believe "Big blue star" talking about not booking tickets for the Super bowl He and his ilk have been booking the tickets since they lost last year. Pampa Tex, only LOSERS blame officiating for their teams ineptitude.

Posted by: rmcpks73 | September 13, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Gano's unflappable demeanor is as important as his accuracy, leg strength, and football sense. More importantly, by eschewing the punt and going for the 49-yard field goal, Coach Shanahan gained confidence in the ability of his FG specialist. Sunday night, the Redskins discovered they surely possess one very good arrow in their quiver.

Posted by: damnedengineer | September 16, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse