Redskins honor Shula in benefit for cancer center

Members of the Redskins' brass were out in force in Miami Wednesday night, doing their part in a battle that's far more important than any football game.

Former Dolphins coach Don Shula was honored for leadership and philanthropy by the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute in Tampa, Fla., at a fund-raising event in South Beach. Robert Rothman, a Redskins minority owner, is chairman of the board for the Moffitt Cancer Center and has served on its board for the past decade.

"A lot of people like me, you've had some family connection to cancer -- my mother died of cancer when I was a kid -- but I felt my skill set was better in business and not in medical research," said Rothman, a Tampa-based insurance executive who's also chairman of the Board of Florida Bank Group Inc., and CEO of Black Diamond Group, a private investment firm. "I always figured if I was successful enough, I'd find a way to help."

Cancer is personal for Redskins owner Daniel Snyder; he had thyroid cancer in 2001 and his wife, Tanya, is a breast cancer survivor. He and minority owner Dwight Schar helped sponsor the dinner and gala at the Ritz-Carlton. Washington general manager Bruce Allen was one of several recognizable football figures in attendance, along with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, former coach Jon Gruden, former Dolphins quarterback Bob Griese.

Rothman has been an owner who's largely worked in the background. Along with Schar and Fred Smith, Rothman purchased a stake in the team in 2003. Last season, he said he attended every home game.

"It was very painful," he said. "Just a very tough season for everyone."

But just a month after the conclusion of the season, Rothman already feels a strong sense of optimism. He especially likes the hiring of Allen and head coach Mike Shanahan.

"They're both great additions to the team. We're all very excited about the direction we're going in," he said. "It's a good change in both levels."

By Rick Maese  |  February 4, 2010; 9:39 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cooley has high hopes for TEs in Shanahan's system
Next: George Allen, Shula used gamesmanship off the field, too

Comments

FIRST!!!!!!!!

Posted by: davefromdc1 | February 4, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

By Rick Maese | February 4, 2010; 9:39 AM ET

Breaking news? This is about as unexpected as Clinton Portis saying "I'm a great fit for the Shanahan system."

Posted by: League-Source | February 4, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Skip Bayless just said that Marques Colston is overrated and that "all he's got going for him is he's tall". Wow...just wow.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 4, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

For some crazy reason when I read this: Redskins honor Shula in benefit for cancer center, I thought it said Shuler for a second.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Can't use that word anymore, Alex. Rahm Emmanuel has met twice with groups of "disabilities advocates" to apologize for referring to some of his Democratic colleagues as "f***ing ret**ded." I don't think that ret**ded people like being equated to Democrats or something.

Posted by: League-Source | February 4, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Well Since I hate Rahm Emmanuel more than almost any other politico in DC ... I am going to keep using the word.

Its wrong to use it when referencing someone with an actual disability, sure. But not when referencing the general stupidity of the populace.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 4, 2010 10:07 AM

Alex, I think you missed the lesson here. You don't get back at Rahm Emmanuel by using the word. You create enemies among the "disability advocates" and they will speak of you and Rahm in the same sentence: "Rahm Emmanuel and alex35332 must pay!"

And Rahm used the word exactly in the way you think is acceptable. He referred to the general population, i.e., Democrats, as being "fu**ing ret**ded."

Posted by: League-Source | February 4, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else notice Clinton P taking part of the Man vs. Food challange last night? Maybe he has a second career in the works?

Posted by: Devo2 | February 4, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

F Skip Bayless and his bitter beer face.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

brownwood - posted to you on bottom of last thread, too lazy to repost here.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 4, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 4, 2010 10:12 AM

That show is an abomination. It's amateur hour, and goes with a predictable formula.

I'll take one side of the argument and you take the other or let's have Skip say something crazy and wait for a reaction.

For example...Colston is overrated even though he was drafted in the 7th round and when healthy has averaged 70 catches, 1100 yds and 9 TDs a season.

You’d find better football insight by watching whatever show Hasselbeck’s wife is on.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 10:24 AM

Or reading barno's posts up here. Wait, maybe barno is Skip Bayless?

Posted by: League-Source | February 4, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44

I think she was on NFL Live recently...

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Peyton Manning, after living a full life, died and went to heaven. When he got to heaven, God was showing him around. They came to a modest little house with a faded Colts flag in the window.

"This house is yours for eternity, Peyton," said God. "This is very special; not everyone gets a house up here."

Peyton felt special, indeed, and walked up to his house. On his way up the
porch, he noticed another house up on a hill. It was a 3-story mansion with a black and gold sidewalk, a 50-foot tall flagpole with an enormous Saints logo flag, and in every window, a New Orleans Saints towel.

Peyton looked at God and said "God, I'm not trying to be ungrateful, but I have a question. I was an all-pro QB, I hold many NFL records, and I even went to the Hall of Fame."

God said "So what's your point Peyton?"

"Well, why does Drew Brees get a better house than me?"

God said "Peyton, that's not Drew's house, it's mine."

Posted by: League-Source | February 4, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

RSH stepping out of character for a moment:
The Redskins organization may be dysfunctional when it comes to running a football team (jury still out on current staff), but I am proud of the team when it comes to contributions to charity. The involvement with cancer fund raisers, the aid sent to Haiti, the work with the United Way and the support for the area schools are just some of the many things they do. That's good stuff.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 4, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I think she was on NFL Live recently...

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 10:27 AM

I watched it. The only time I didn't want to not so gently shove something in her mouth to shut her up.

I hope I didn't insult Red's_Pet

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 4, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------------

Skip Bayless wishes he was overrated. The only thing he's got going for him is that that he can see around Woody Paige's nuts.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | February 4, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I don't know who is worse - Skip or Woody Paige. I sometimes seriously think Woody is mentally disabled. I'm not joking.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 4, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Um, I think the difference is, he's an appointed govt. official and representative of the White House (curiously silent in all this..... had no problem getting involved with a cop doing his job, tho... hmm.) and we're just 'tards on a blog.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 4, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Don't make much difference what some minority owner thinks, so long as the Redskins have a certified dickweed (JC17)taking the snaps. Regardless of the input, the outcome is still the same -- a loss, and lots of excuses and alibis.

Posted by: Vic1 | February 4, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I hope I didn't insult Red's_Pet

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse
--------------------------

Careful, or he will don his specially designed Power Glove and bravely unleash his typing fury at unsuspecting bloggers everywhere. Especially feared is his finishing move, the 'nanananeebooboo you didn't get to me but one more thing' parting shot. This carries a 2X bonus point reduction multiplier when combined with his patented Fruit of the Loom boxer brief suit.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | February 4, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | February 4, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Well Rahm is just a raciest anyway so I don't give much of a F888 what his @$$ says, and the disability rights groups either have everything going great for the disabled or they are just being LAZY and arguing semantics.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 4, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11

He acts senile. I don't know sometimes how he still has a job.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

...so long as the Redskins have a certified dickweed (JC17)taking the snaps. Regardless of the input, the outcome is still the same -- a loss, and lots of excuses and alibis.

Posted by: Vic1 | February 4, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

boooooooooooorrrrring. boooooooooooorrrrrrrinnnnnnggggggggggg. boorrrrrrrrrrinnnnnnnnnng.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | February 4, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I still get a kick outta BClint first using the slur 'WELCHing on a bet' and then apologizing to the Welch ambassador for making such a 'LEFT HANDED remark'...

...awesmoe!

..maps.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 4, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | February 4, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

this situation can be easily rectified by replacing "fu**ing re**ded" with the term "F*cktard"

You get the best of both words and none of the hassles that go along with the disability advocates badgering you.

also I heart Liz Hasslebeck

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 4, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Ah men Bigfoot, I agree anyone bringing JC17 stuff up AGAIN. BOOOOOORING

Posted by: alex35332 | February 4, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

At least Woody Paige is occasionally funny (in a sad, Sam Huff kind of way).

Skip Bayless has no redeeming qualities at all.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 4, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Don't make much difference what some minority owner thinks, so long as Redskins Insider has a certified dickweed (Vic1)posting comments. Regardless of the topic, the post is still the same -- a shot at JC, and lots of trolling.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 4, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 4, 2010 10:31 AM

I'd love to shove something in her mouth alright...she's fun to look at, but I draw the line at her trying to express a coherent thought. I'd love for her to wear less clothes and do more shutting the F up.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 4, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

also I heart Liz Hasslebeck

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 4, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

In the heat of the arguemnt "F*cktard" seems to escape my mind. However I would clearly state Elizabeth Hasslebeck is a super duper uber mega F*cktard.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 4, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone have Vic1getanewpost email add?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | February 4, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I definitely SOMETHING Liz H. But it's a lot lower than my heart... closer to where Mrs. Shuttle sais my brain is...

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 4, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | February 4, 2010 10:38 AM

Please don't shoot me with your slingshot, but "dickweed?" Really?

Posted by: mack1 | February 4, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

L-Soucrce

"God said "Peyton, that's not Drew's house, it's mine."

You get today's gold star for that post if it's your own stuff.

If it's not, then we'll put an asterick (*) by your name in the record book for excellent posts.

'Cuz that was one.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 4, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Agreed on the sentiment that Skip Bayless is an asshat, his incessant Dallas talk all year was nauseating at best.

Woody Paige has his moments on both ends of the spectrum, but the sports writer I hate most is Jay Mariotti. I want that guy dead.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 4, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

The better title for this post:

Washington Redskins, Still Firmly on AntiCancer Side of Discussion.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 4, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Heh….Bayless. I used to work with a guy whose last name was Bayless…..couldn’t score with the chicks to save his life. We called him Bob Babeless….good times.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | February 4, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

"...I don't know sometimes how he still has a job."

Select the dude/dudette for whom this quote is true:

Prez Obama

Skip Bayless

Dick Vitale

Whomever the Jonas Brothas are

Tim Geithner

John Boehner

Vinny Cerrato (oops...he quit already, sorry)

Lil Wayne

Simon Cowell

Tom Cruise

Will Smith

Nancy Pelosi

Sandra Bullock

Rush Limbaugh

Jay-Z

Tom Jackson

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 4, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone have Vic1getanewpost email add?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | February 4, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

dickweed@Vic1.com

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | February 4, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Look at Skip Bayless and Ron Paul son and tell me Ol' Ronny wasn't delivering mail to the Bayless residence.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | February 4, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Moe that sounds like the most ridiculous star-cruise EVER!

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 4, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Tom Jackson

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 4, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse
------------------------

Tom Jackson the NFL Countdown guy? Really?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | February 4, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

MistaMoe -- Put the asterisk. It was cut and paste from an e/m that was forwarded to me. Probably originated in or around the Crescent City. I thought someone up here might get a laugh.

Posted by: League-Source | February 4, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you Matt, Tom Jackson is one of the few things RIGHT about NFL Countdown. Of course, he was there way back when ESPN was a reputable organization...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 4, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

League-Source,
Drew Brees died and went to heaven. When he got there Saint Pete was showing him around. They came to a football stadium and Drew asked to go inside. When they got to a place where they could see down, there were the Colts beating up on a team of the greatest players ever to play the game.

Drew Brees said, "Saint Pete, is that Peyton Manning down there? I wasn't aware that he died."

Saint Pete said, "No, that's God. He wants to be Peyton Manning..."

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 4, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Wow, now Skip is calling Michael f-ing Irvin the greatest WR of all-time. I really gotta stop watching this crap...my blood pressure can't take this....

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 4, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I think Skip Bayless needs to watch more football. Colston makes it look very easy but if you pay close attention you can see him adjusting to the ball and out positioning defenders. I'm sure Skip just thinks it is a perfect pass everytime. Skip needs to go watch the highlights of the PHI and first ATL game then tell us Colston is simply just really tall.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 4, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Football players don't die and go to normal heaven you fools, the go to a football equivalent of Valhalla, where every day they go into a great stadium and play a game of football to the death in front of the great sports gods! Then each night they drink meed and wine eat a great feast and make love to the cheerleader-like valkyries.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 4, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I think that's just in Minnesota, Al.

Skins foobaw heaven has Lombardi coarching... but they have to party with the HOggetts!

...ew...

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 4, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Bigfoot_has_a_posse: "Skip, did you say Michael Irvin is the best WR of all time?"

Skip Bayless: "No. What I meant to say is Michael Irvin is the best cocaine-possessing, 'roid raging, neck stabbing, POS I can't believe he is in the HOF NFL'er of all time. Jerry Rice is the best WR of all time."

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | February 4, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

BEEPS!!!

Posted by: 4SkinzForever | February 4, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Saint Pete said, "No, that's God. He wants to be Peyton Manning..."

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 4, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------

Would it be sacrilege to cheer for the ST hit that ended God's playing career?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | February 4, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

"Tom Jackson the NFL Countdown guy? Really?"

It's just a random list of names I threw out hoping to generate some flow in this thing.

I do that from time to time when it looks like folks are reaching for some common fat to chew on.

I like Tom Jackson.

It's ESPN that I can't stand.

I get my tv sports from the NFL Network, the MLB Network, and various other online sources.

And of course, there's RI Nation.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 4, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

From the Post today:

"Center Jeff Saturday, a former undrafted rookie, was signed after being released by the Baltimore Ravens. One guard, Ryan Lilja, was claimed off waivers after the Chiefs signed him as an undrafted rookie but cut him. The other guard, Kyle DeVan, is a former undrafted rookie who was cut by the Washington Redskins and New York Jets.

They're scheduled to start Sunday on an offensive line that allowed quarterback Peyton Manning to be sacked only 10 times during the regular season..."

We need that type of production. The only thing I second guess with that is they don't run the ball enough. And without Peyton, that offense goes nowhere.

Interesting segment though..