Redskins Insider Live Webcast debuts today

Our weekly webcast,"Redskins Insider Live," debuts at 10:30 a.m. LaVar Arrington, he of our newest blog, Hard Hits with LaVar Arrington, joins Redskins beat writer Rick Maese and DC Sports Bogger Dan Steinberg to discuss all things Redskins with studio host Jonathan Forsythe.

Submit your questions and tune in to watch, live, every Tuesday at 10:30 a.m. If you can't catch it live, you can find it at washingtonpost.com/sports later in the day or later in the week.

Once again, here's the link to Redskins Insider Live.

By Washington Post Sports  |  August 31, 2010; 9:36 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hall ready for Thursday, then season opener
Next: No cuts made by start of practice

Comments

My Week One WR's (in rough order on depth chart):

Moss
Thomas
Galloway
Armstrong
Austin
Banks

I know it's a young stable for the most part and therefore a bit risky, but this team is rebuidling, right? Why risk losing a potential game-changer like Banks or a diamond in the rough like Austin by putting them on the practice squad in favor of a Wade or Williams? Neither has done much in their careers nor, as far as I've seen, shined in preseason/camp to warrant retarding the youth infusion. Keep getting younger, develop Armstrong/Austin to be a #2, let Banks grow (literally and figuratively, I hope- dude can't long endure at 150 lbs) into the PR/slot WR role, allow the 3 vets to pull the lion's share of the weight in the meantime, Cooley/Davis will help pick up the slack. That's my input, which along with $7 will get you a Starbuck's venti. This isn't a "Super Bowl or bust" year. Show some patience and look to the future.

HTTR

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 31, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 31, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

my question for lavar is has he read his contract yet?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 31, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

"Just a little perspective...Emmitt has 18,355 rushing yards and 21,564 total. CP's not approaching that territory without an oxygen tank and a sherpa."

Once again, perspective is everything.

Too, the greater question is, is CP worth another Dan Snyder contract?

Behind what seems to be an improved offensive line, CP might grind out 1,300 yards and catch m ore than a few balls.

But would numbers like that justify a new deal in light of the fact that he is also approaching the Dirty Number 30 in age?

I like him, want him to succeed, but wouldn't re-sign him.

The skins have had too much a history in recent years of giving big contracts to guys headed out the door.

And when it's CP's turn to leave, I'd say we'd be better off letting him go.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 31, 2010 9:50 AM

Agreed...and a Wade, Williams or another vet should be available down the line if need be (injuries/lack of production etc). Your list has a nice mix of youth, experience and alot of upside potential.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 31, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

We wasn't...that d-bag wouldn't find graciousness with a GPS. He's the most compelling argument I've seen against having sportswriters vote for HoF in any sport...that level of blatant bias is galling. I mean, how can you not see that the process is flawed if guys are getting in the HoF simply because some a-hole sportswriter is sick of seeing a guy's name on the ballot every year?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 31, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse
_________

HOF voters should really be a committee of inducted HOFers and football insider types like the Bobby Beathards of the world. I don't think writers should even be in the equation.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | August 31, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Semi off topic post:
I posted this initially on the Bog, but no one is there it seems. I was wondering what peoples opinions are about the situation with Mike Wise and Rob Dibble. Because I think there are interesting parallels between the two.

For those who don't follow the Nationals, Color Man Rob Dibble has been silently suspended for unpopular comments about Strasburg, saying he needs to toughen up to be a major leaguer. Then the next day it turned out baseball Jesus needed Tommy Johns Surgery. Now Dibble had an unpopular opinion, and I am not saying I agree with him 100%, but I understand it. But its been a while now and he has been suspended and it looks like he may possibly be fired. What is interesting is few in the media were more vocally critical about what he said than Mike Wise.

No look at what Mr. Wise did. He makes up a story and puts it out there, it gets picked up left and right by the blogs and other online news sources. Then he comes out and says he made it up to prove some point about online rumor journalism. All he has to do is apologies, no suspension nothing.

So here you have a man violating the ethical standards of Journalism, and receiving little to no punishment calling out a guy for his unpopular opinion. Its a F***ed up world. I realize that there is some differences there between the two. But none the less worth looking at, is there an absurd double standard there?

Posted by: alex35332 | August 31, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

He won't win the all-time yards trophy or even get close, really.

But he could be top 5 in yards/game. Match that with a championship game appearance... he's in the conversation.

OT:
The wife sent me THIS... lmSJKao!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 31, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I'd side with Dibble. Stupid to pop off at the mouth before knowing what was wrong with Strasburg but at least he has played in the league. Mike Wise, Peter King, Jay Mariotti, etc etc. who act like know it alls even though its apparent they probably sucked at sports growing up are the worst.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | August 31, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Alex,

Dibble works for the Nationals so I can understand where they are coming from.

Dibble if I remeber correctly only lasted 7 years and was on the season ending IR twice so he has no room to talk.

As far as Wise goes he works for the post so if they don't see a need to disipline him, then I'm fine with that as well.

Posted by: Flounder21 | August 31, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Anyone interesting get cut today?

Posted by: zjenks | August 31, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfan713 | August 31, 2010 10:05 AM

100% agree. Keeping the system the way it is is an absolute joke.

Skins getting a lot of love from Skip Bayless on ESPN First Take...he's got 'em 9-7 and perhaps 10+ wins and the division title if Dallas' O-line woes continue.

I've never wanted him to be right more than I do right now...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 31, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

4th,

Players on IR don't count against the 53 man roster.

Posted by: Flounder21 | August 30, 2010 5:22 PM

I said players on IR count towards the Cap, along with the 53 man roster.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 31, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

What Mike Wise was did was far worse than Dibble's offense.

Dibble is a former player who got hired to shoot from the hip an offer uninformed opinions. You shouldn't fire a guy for doion what he gets paid to do.

Wise is a trained journalist who is paid to research facts before he puts them out there. If he wants to try a social experiement he should at least work under a psuedonym.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 31, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Good question Alex,

I think the difference is their respective industries. Media outlets thrive on attention, good or bad, so Wise is ok. Dibble was pissing on the only candle the Nats had burning.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 31, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Agreed O_e...I've always thought that Wise was a no-talent hack and he absolutely proved it with that idiotic stunt he pulled last week. Florio ripped him on PFT and he's 100% right. I mean, did Wise really think that there was ANY way he would come out looking smart or good?

I stand by my decision to NEVER read his crap again and I hope more people do the same in the wake of this lunacy.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 31, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 31, 2010 10:28 AM
------------

you're so right. as conducted, his "experiment" wasn't much of an experiment. the only reason anyone "ran with" that story was because it was written by mike wise. this wasn't some blogger makin' up stuff...and having it "go viral". it was accredited reporter mike wise... THAT'S why it got circulated.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | August 31, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Also, did you all read what La Canfora wrote about Wise?

I've always had his back but what a douchy thing to write..

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 31, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Wise was suspended for 30 days by WP.

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 31, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Missed it O_e...what did JLC say?

Here's another Skins shocker on ESPN First Take...Antonio Pierce just picked us to win the NFC East.

If that ain't the kiss of death...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 31, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

100% agree. Keeping the system the way it is is an absolute joke.

I've never wanted him to be right more than I do right now...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 31, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I hate to say it, but I trust Skip Bayless' opinion. He's usually correct on his assessments.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 31, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Washington Post suspends Mike Wise for a month
Posted by Mike Florio on August 31, 2010 10:35 AM ET
At the outset of his daily radio show on 106.7 the Fan in D.C., Mike Wise announced that the Washington Post has imposed a one-month suspension on him for his ill-advised Tuesday Twitter hoax regarding, ironically, the suspension of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Wise read a statement in which he acknowledged that he "made a horrendous mistake," and that it "cost me a chunk of [my] own credibility."

Actually, it cost Wise all of his credibility, as far as we're concerned. Even though he surely will never pull another stunt like this, it's fair to wonder whether other motivations, apart from providing true, accurate information, will undermine any of his future journalistic endeavors.

Wise also offered up a very half-hearted (hoof-hearted) explanation, mentioning once again the facially implausible notion that he tried to immediately point out that it was a joke, even after boasting on Tuesday that the goal was to dupe people like me into believing it wasn't a joke.

Though we're not privy to the thought processes of the Post, we suspect that the length of the suspension was influenced at least in part by Wise's clumsy attempt to minimize the damage by offering up inconsistent excuses like: (1) I never break news on my Twitter account so no one should have believed it; (2) I tried to get people like Florio to believe it; (3) I tried to immediately make it clear that it was a joke but Twitter jammed up, even though it allowed me to make four subsequent posts over more than an hour, including one in which I perpetuated the hoax by saying he "[c]an't reveal my sources."

Frankly, Wise should be glad he wasn't fired. Armed with the relevant Post personnel policies, including the one regarding the use of social media, a semi-competent lawyer (or me) would have Wise admitting within five minutes or less that his employment should be terminated for cause.

The fact that he seems to be so willing to accept the suspension represents an implicit acknowledgment that Wise realizes, despite his cannonball into the stupid pool, he dodged a mortar shell when it was time to visit the principal's office.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 31, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Jason LaCanfora: If I'm the Washington Post, I'm thinking seriously about suspending a sports columnist. No surprise the Big Ben tweet was a hoax. I called it the moment I saw it, which is why I never mentioned it. Not a surprise considering the source. Trite joke; bad journalism

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 31, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins have the widest range of predictions of any team I have seen so far. On ESPN they were predicted either first or last by most of the analyst.

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 31, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 31, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

More JLC/Wise

"What did Wise think of a former colleague saying this?

In these kind of instances, you find out who is making sure you’re okay and who has your back and who wants to pile on,” he said. “This is a good moment for me personally to find out who is a peripheral friend and who actually is a person who has no idea the genesis of this and how it came about.”

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 31, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

nice JaLaC quote, etrod! hits the mark.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 31, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Okay then if Wise got suspended for that, then its fair in my book.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 31, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 31, 2010 10:46 AM

Boom. Roasted.

You know you suck if JLC looks down his nose at you...but then again, it always looks like that crosseyed clown is looking down his nose...

ih8, gotta agree on Bayless...unless the topic is TO or LeBron (where he has too much of a raging hatred to see straight), he's pretty spot on with his analysis...even though he comes off as a pretentious know-it-all in the process. Here's hoping his take on the Skins is no different...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 31, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Still the JLC hate on here.

I think the plummeting content of this blog since his departure shows just how good he was as the Redskins Insider.

Posted by: psps23 | August 31, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Mike Wise made up a story? What was it?

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 31, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

zjenks

"Anyone interesting get cut today?"

Sho you right, when and where does this info get published?

And next week's cutdown day will be even more interesting.

I bet we snag a rt or olb or wr.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Still the JLC hate on here.

Posted by: psps23 | August 31, 2010 11:03 AM |

I think it went downhill since Cindy left. I don't think JLaC had anything to do with it.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 31, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Oh, there were problems w/ JLaC, too. But at least he understood the medium a little better - or at least embraced it.

Given the Mayor's conduct in Chicago (was it Chicago?), perhaps his skin isn't thick enough for the constant barrage of criticism an open forum affords?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 31, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Cosign psps.
I miss CB too.
They both work hard.

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | August 31, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Cosign psps.
I miss CB too.
They both work hard.

Posted by: _Stumped_1 | August 31, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

JLaC embraced the medium, he embraced the love and hate of the blog too. I will always be in the guys corner. Even after the JLC Vinny War.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 31, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | August 31, 2010 11:03 AM

Dude, you can't be serious. That's like looking back on the Spurrier Era longingly just because Zorn was a debacle...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 31, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Mike Wise made up a story? What was it?

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 31, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Ben Rothlesburger's suspension set to 5 games.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 31, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I bet we snag a rt or olb or wr.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 31, 2010 11:08 AM

Right...I'll be surprised if we don't have Brandon Stokley by week's end...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 31, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 31, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Come on JLC was more Norv Turner/Marty Shottinhimer than Steve Spurrier.

Norv n Shotty left the skins and wound up now with a great deal in SD where he has a playoff team

JLC left a local paper went national with NFLN.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 31, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Ha, I'm absolutely serious brownwood. This used to be the place people came for the most up-to-date Redskins news, and for good reason. For the most part it was all here. This was the best place to come. It's not even close anymore.

And yes, of course, Cindy was part of that too. Since both of them have left, this place has become no better than waiting for Sportsnight on CSN.

Posted by: psps23 | August 31, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I haven't heard squat about Vonnie Holiday so far. Is he an early cut or are they just keeping him fresh for the season?

Posted by: edvar | August 31, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 31, 2010 11:31 AM

He did embrace the blog more, but he also had a bias against the Redskins and an obvious axe to grind with Vinny. He let it seep into everything he wrote...if he was up front about it I might have respected it more but to damn near go on a crusade against all things Vinny/Snyder/Redskins, it's a bit much. Know your audience and what not...

It's been mentioned here before and I think it bears repeating...Redskins beat reporter and maintaining RI as a blogger are two different jobs. Reid is very good at the former, not so much the latter. Kinda like being HC/GM in football...it's hard enough doing one of those jobs well, it's rare (if ever) you find someone who does BOTH well simultaneously...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 31, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse