Redskins Lay Off More Workers

The Washington Redskins today made their second wave of layoffs this month, letting go a majority of the employees who sell non-premium seats at FedEx Field, according to sources. The cutbacks included at least six fulltime employees and at least four seasonal employees, and all of the interns who worked in that department, according to sources.

The Redskins released at least 23 employees earlier this month at both Redskins Park and FedEx Field, and these moves today involved both the team's vice president for ticketing services, as well as both of his managers and most of their full-time staff. The Redskins declined comment earlier this month when asked about layoffs, and are making no public comment at this time, either. The club will be making its push for season ticket renewals, with most of their mailings and promotions coming out in February. The general ticket operations oversee most of the stadium - the upper and lower bowl, obstructed view and partially obstructed seasons - while premium sales (club level and other contractual tickets) account for roughly 20,000 of the 90,000 seats at FedEx Field.

By Jason La Canfora  |  January 26, 2009; 2:47 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Chat and a Pro Bowl Sales Pitch
Next: Initial Personnel Ratings Completed

Comments

"Whatz this ITA spud? YOU LIVE IN TENNESSEE or NORTH CALINKY and work in GEOOORGIA? As a former resident of Tybee Island, Savannah, and near to L5P in Atlanta I resent your incursion on the south. The WAR OF NORTHERN AGGRESSION continues. The foreign invader is the theTruth11. Have to send in the mythical artsy and graphical D-LINE from SCAD to stop him. They'll paint him back into this corner.

Posted by: periculum |"

I can't reply because I don't even understand what you were trying to say.

You seem like one of the people that causes yankees to talk negatively about the south.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | January 26, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

man, lot of folks have been getting "axel foley'd".

Posted by: RedDMV | January 26, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

You're next, Red.

I hear that the Department of Motor Vehicles has made less licenses this quarter because of the economy, and you're on the cutting block.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | January 26, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I know that the Pats did this as well, as did the NFL. Not sure what you can make of this.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 26, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Legend has it that the plan is that we will hire bruce allen to be our GM and Vinny will take over the ticket sales office, his radio show gave him some valuable experience talking to disgruntled fans.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 26, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I also heard that a few Super Bowl parties in Tampa have been canceled due to lack of sponsorship $$$.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 26, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, I heard that as well, Maxim is still doing their party, but I think the 2 other high profil parties got the axe....times are tough....this isn't just limited to the Redskins.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 26, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Nice one Alex....

Here is an example where the mysterioso vibe of Snyder lead skins-org is a bad idea. No statement, no explanation? All that does is invite the questioning. Any good PR staff will tell you to issue a statement, its easy"

"The Redskins organization regrets the recent rounds of layoffs and will feel the loss in our daily operations. All sectors of the economy are feeling the tightening and we here in Ashburn are not immune. We are dedicated to staying healthy during these trying times and planning for a future when we can announce adding staff and not trimming it. Thank you, hail to the redskins, and god bless America"

Is that really so hard?

Posted by: chrislarry | January 26, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 26, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I take care of my sons, and it's a shame 'cause I didn't get a father's day card from you, boy....

I hoped that worked, if it did BIG shout outs to ITTDGY!

Posted by: RedDMV | January 26, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if The Danny is taking a pay cut???

Posted by: WRBD | January 26, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

"cl, did the NFL, or the pats release a statement, not asking to be an azz, just asking for a comparative point....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 26, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse "

I am not sure, I would guess the NFL did. But it really doesn't maytter what others do, its about the right way of doing things. The lock down, radio silence unless it is my radio snyder philosophy is a bad policy....

Transparency rulz
draconian control drulz

Posted by: chrislarry | January 26, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

"Truth you just simply can't read. In the sprit of me "son'n" you, I've accepted my obligation to set you straight.

I hoped that worked, if it did BIG shout outs to ITTDGY!

Posted by: RedDMV | "

I can read, but I have no clue what you're trying to say. You're a dimwit.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | January 26, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

These moves couldn't possibly have been a business related decision. They had to be a conspiracy driven from Dan S himself. Vinny must have been involved as well. The nerve of these guys!

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | January 26, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

well, we don't know anywhere near all of the facts in either instance, so I guess, whateves...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 26, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

sorry.....I was being a bit facetious

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | January 26, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

The NFL has laid off 10% or approx. 150 of its staff.
The Pats have laid off 60 in all (approx. 20%)
The Browns have laid off 15 so far, but it is anticipated that 25% or around 40 will be terminated in all.

It's not just the Skins folks!!

Oh, and NFL Films laid off around 10% of its staff!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | January 26, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Beantown...not sure you are getting my point...I am actually agreeing with you that with the economy being bad the explanation is pretty clear and a and open PR message that communicated honestly and with a goal to inform would help Snyder not seem like a complete "Mr. Burns" type...

Posted by: chrislarry | January 26, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

ah....10-4...I'm picking up what you're throwing up....or something like that....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 26, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 26, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I live in Tampa, almost every venue is booked starting today. The economy blows, but its still rockin here.

When we doll out 60 million in guarantees this year, I hope those layed off employees flip Snyder the bird.

Posted by: rich20ssu | January 26, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 26, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | January 26, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

agreed

Posted by: rich20ssu | January 26, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | January 26, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I heard JLC was standing outside the Home Depot yelling about plywood prices...

Posted by: rich20ssu | January 26, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"Home Depot, Caterpillar, and the Patriots don't have the Washington Post and it's Chumpfora disciples questioning every move they make.

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | January 26, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse "

No they have the rest of the media doing it, you may have seen the DHL/Ohio story on CBS last night?

Posted by: chrislarry | January 26, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

With a quantifiable amount, use "fewer". When using a more general term of amount, use "less".

You have fewer dollars than Dan Snyder. You have less money. Cool? Thanks.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 26, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Right because the Boston Sports reporters have their heads up their A$$ as we all know...

Posted by: alex35332 | January 26, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I know the convo vanished...but this speaks volumes why Ted Leonis is a better owner.....communication with fans/public....

Posted by: chrislarry | January 26, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

need a tissue?

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | January 26, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

SHH CL i think thats why it vanished. But yes it sure is. I would love to be able to ask Snyder "waddup?" on his facebook page.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 26, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I may have to lay off Skippy

Posted by: TheCork | January 26, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Did he bust your lemon meringue budget on National Pie Day?

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 26, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

It's a joke.

Skippy is relatively peaceful but his buddy Floyd, the Truck Drivin' Man, collects Winchesters.

So spare me the "Lay yourself off and keep Skippy" emails.

Posted by: TheCork | January 26, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Are they saying Boo or Boo-urns?

Man this time of year blows for sports almost as much as the summer.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | January 26, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

++You have fewer dollars than Dan Snyder. You have less money. Cool? Thanks.

Posted by: SMACK1+++

Yes, also, Les Nessman.

I just got a nostalgia twang for "W's" linguistics. He is the only president ever in the Newnited States to use the term "More few."

And we wonder why we're in a Depression?

Posted by: TheCork | January 26, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

re: boston sportswriters, you could make a case for Dan 'shank' Shaunessy having his head up his behind, but most of the others are pretty spot on....

corky, put me down for 1 vote for keeping skip, and losing you....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 26, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

raven o-lineman gaither wants out of baltimore contract or not, evidently harbaugh is not his favorite person.I wonder if vinny is in talks with his agent or if you just have to sit and wait until he is officially released.

Posted by: mark65 | January 26, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

+++speaking of lay-offs, Catepillar, just lopped off 20,000 jobs....home depot did something like 7,000.

Posted by: BeantownGreg++

Did either company fire the guy who drafted three receivers in the second round last year?

Posted by: TheCork | January 26, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

"Man this time of year blows for sports almost as much as the summer.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton"

Oh it's not that bad. College BBall entering conference play, NHL and NBA in the midst of their seasons, the culmination of the NFL playoffs, not to mention all major soccer leagues worldwide in full effect (for those who care) along with World Cup qualification beginning...

I'm personally a big fan of this time of the year in sports. Although there is a big void on Sundays.

Posted by: psps23 | January 26, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

+++corky, put me down for 1 vote for keeping skip, and losing you....

Posted by: BeantownGreg++

See now, I'm the opposite. I HATE if you left. Every time Dan lays off more employees I look forward to your "Gee the economy sucks, so it's cool" posts, as I'm sure the poor Bustards who lost their jobs do.

Posted by: TheCork | January 26, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Really, because I hate you constant pissing and moaning about the same thing, day in and day out, your constant attempts to pat yourself on the back, and boost your own ego.........I wouldnt' miss that in the LEAST....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 26, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | January 26, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Beabtown, I know you love your links sohere you go. Goodell spoke about it himself while giving the layoffs context and warnings about the industry projections:

Posted by: chrislarry | January 26, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I don't get it. I know what people who sell tickets and whatnot make in a year in this town, all in all this was probably less than 200k a year in operation costs and whatnot.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 26, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

oh bonus...it also details the official, well crafted statements by the Patriots as well.....

Posted by: chrislarry | January 26, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

FYI the newest minor league trying to start up has pushed back their start date by near 2 months. So much for the Norfolk franchise.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 26, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

"
Dallas Cowboy Terrell Owens is letting the public get a look at his personal life.

VH1 announced Monday that the outspoken wide receiver will star in his own reality show on the channel, beginning this summer.

The channel says that in the series, which takes place in the offseason, T.O.'s best friends and publicists — Monique Jackson and Kita Williams — will help him re-examine his personal life.

VH1 says that Jackson and Williams will work as "matchmakers and therapists." "

Posted by: TheTruth11 | January 26, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | January 26, 2009 4:28 PM

I'm with you on college hoop, especially once the tourney starts. But regular season NBA and NHL, yawn. Watching soccer is like watching grass grow.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | January 26, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

there you go...kudos to them...different strokes....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 26, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

No way is this time of year worse in sports than like say July...

Posted by: chrislarry | January 26, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

"TheTruth11 thinks someone else is dumb? Wow... it's like a guy in a homeless shelter taunting the lower middle class.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ |"

How long did it take you to come up with that gem????

Posted by: TheTruth11 | January 26, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 26, 2009 3:22 PM

The Playboy and the Sports Illustrated parties were both cancelled.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 26, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

te, thanks for the assist....

July is great, MLB is in full swing, the Celts will have just finished their parade, whats not to like...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 26, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

yeah different strokes I guess.....if strokes are "right way" and the other "wrong way".....

Posted by: chrislarry | January 26, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Soccer is metaphysical. Either you get it, or you think this time of year sucks for sports.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 26, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

cl, being that none of us know the intimate details of the layoffs/severance agreements, I'm not sure that ANY of us can pass judgement one way or another.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 26, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

The Playboy ... parties were both cancelled.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 26, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by: alex35332 | January 26, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

beantown, can you read? I said the way they are carried out brings more grief to himself than he deserves!!!!!!!!!!!

You say nothing and cloak yourself in misinformation than the narratives multiply. If you are transparent and communaticve you actually control the message to a greater extent. Look at the companies that are successful recently and from the CEO on down they cite "transparency" as a core value...(you know like not hoodwinking shareholders/investors so your stock bloats)

Good grief...sure we all know nothing and should just keep working hard and praying and all that good stuff....

Where is P Diddy when you need him!

Posted by: chrislarry | January 26, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

****Redskins Press Release*****

"Dan Synder, due to his avarice and inability to properly manage a professional football team, has decided to remove himself as owner of this once proud franchise, so that he can refocus his efforts on his Six Flags empire.

Additionally, Mr. Synder has also relieved his trusted subordinate, Vinny Cerrato, of his a**-kissing duties, and the two of them announced their pending nuptials, which is expected to take place after their relocation to California, so that Mr. Synder can be closer to his godfather, Al Davis, at whose knee Mr. Synder learned the football business.

The value of Redskins stock has increased tenfold since this announcement was made by Mr. Synder."

Posted by: skinsfan7 | January 26, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 26, 2009 4:43 PM |

My theory of soccer is that the sport would be bearable if they would widen the goals by a few meters and heighten them by a meter or so. The size of the soccer field was fixed in about 1820 when goalies were no taller than Dan Snyder and no faster than Ralph Fridgen. Now goalies are big and fast, and so scoring is a joke. A score of 2-0 is "a commanding lead." Who cares?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 26, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Pardon me, talent evaluator, but WHEN WE PLAY PHYSICAL, WE WIN!!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | January 26, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Leigh Torrance could sell all 90,000 plus tickets in one hour so sales reps are superfluous. Unfortunately the redskins passed on home grown super talent eddie royal who could have made six flags profitable all by himself.

Posted by: drewkinnear | January 26, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

One for the don't get it column.

Actually 2-0 is the most dangerous lead in soccer.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 26, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Leigh Torrence sees all, even from an obstructed view seat.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 26, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | January 26, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

And what's wrong with the lower middle class?

Posted by: frediefritz | January 26, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Leigh Torrance doesn't sit in traffic after a redskins game, he teleports

Posted by: drewkinnear | January 26, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Leigh Torrance let donnie avery burn him on that play, cuz he wanted the poor rookie to feel good about himself

Posted by: drewkinnear | January 26, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Snyder laying off po' folks should mean he's not the kind of guy who'd then turnaround and give slumdog millions to free agents this spring.

Or is he?

Sounds like a lotta Madden GM free agency fantansies are about to go the way of the Atari gaming system, 8-track cassette, the wishbone offense, and compassionate conservatism.

When you add the Bruce Allen-as-sal cap- guru-hiring rumor to all of this, it totally suggests the people on the field might feel the power of the pink slip themselves.

Anybody got a short list of possible Redskin sal cap casualities?

Moe thinks it might be a long one....

...unless the Dan Man would take jobs away from po' folks in order to keep making slumdog millionaires out of athletes.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

someone went to the movies over the weekend...

Posted by: chrislarry | January 26, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if we have made draft day trades with the eagles before? If so, maybe we could deal our 13 pick for their 2 late first rounders and get an offensive and a defensive lineman or a linebacker. What do you think?

Posted by: Ohioskin | January 26, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

1st- Soccer is the best sport in the world, it is a world wide enterprise

2nd- i am still more into the skins than i am into DC U and any other soccer team and i have a theory why.

We as humans crave failure. If we really objectively loved the skins, we would have stopped going to the games a long time ago. The way this team has been run would drive any average fan away. The main appeal here is the continued disasters our team incurs, every time we look like we are poised to have a good year, we flop. Yet every year, we build ourselves up to a ridiculous high before each season. I for one loved the 6-2 start, but it felt almost empty because it seemed so easy and didnt include the hardships and failures i have seen the skins go through my whole life. Like the PAts last year, watching them beat us by 50 i wondered how it could be fun to be a fan of that team that year, winning with such ease is boring, and bland after the 1st 5 games.
Snyder shares this opinion, could it be that he knows that the harder this team crashes, the more people love them? It explains the continous hyping of free-agent classes and overpaying to create hype. While there is no doubt snyder wants to win, the reason he runs the team this way is because as long as the expectations are high, we the fans will always be shining his shoes.

Posted by: DaFunBunch | January 26, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

It is clear, Danny is going broke will be force to sell the Skins before the draft in April!

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 26, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

OBTW, it is very warm here today, will be warm all week. Goodyear blimp takes off and land @ airport behind my office. Now if I had $1500 I could go to Super Bowl on Sunday

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 26, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Also bring back Chuck! I hate all TV dancing shows that don't involve nudity or possible death.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 26, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

And we wonder why we're in a Depression?

Posted by: TheCork | January 26, 2009 4:22 PM

No one is wondering ... its very clear that our woes are attributable to two significant losses ... Leigh and Torrence.

Posted by: dcsween | January 26, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

And BO has been in office for 4 days and I haven't seen any changes yet.

Lower middle class = poor person

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 26, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

noonefromtampa, why pay retail? why not just stowaway on the blimp and drop in?

Posted by: dcsween | January 26, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

and the best part of soccer are the riots and fights

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 26, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

BO? What did I miss? Also, why do you taunt us with such a cruel April Fool's joke?

Posted by: dcsween | January 26, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Sween, if I were meant to fly I would have been born an Eagles fan!

I could have volunteered to drive around former NFL players this week. But I refuse to let any Cowboys in my SUV

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 26, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

BO = Barak Obama

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 26, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Everyone must have left work , oooh here comes the blimp in for landing

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 26, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

TV Announcer: The Continental Soccer Association is coming to Springfield! It's all here--fast kicking, low scoring, and ties? You bet!

TV Announcer: You'll see all your favorite soccer stars! Like Ariaga! Ariaga II! Bariaga! Aruglia! And Pizzoza!

Posted by: dcsween | January 26, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, THAT BO ... I was thinking about Bruce Ollen ... or something.

By which I mean, I'm leaving "work" now.

Posted by: dcsween | January 26, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Flew right overhead, got a pic with the cell phone, will see how it comes out

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 26, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

The way to fix this as fans would be to negate all hype involved with the team. I've posted this before. Since Gibbs II began, this is how our team's performance has pertained to the fans expectations.

2005- At first, we had no expectation for the season after a horrible 6-10 campaign after which we seemingly traded our best reciever for a nobody. Then we go 3-0 with the Miracle in Dallas and an overtime win at home over a very good Seattle team. Then we start to get up on the team, they lose the next 2 games. 3-2, we play SF and win by 40, then riding high into the Giants game, were going to the playoffs... we are shut out 36-0 part of a 1-4 slide. then when nobody believes in them 6 straight wins including the playoff game in tampa.

Posted by: DaFunBunch | January 26, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Vinnie!!!!!
You're next!!!!!!!

Posted by: nelmsmn | January 26, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

2006- This is our super bowl year, we were supposedly a couple of plays away from a Conf champ game, and with a heralded FA class even Brunell thinks were going to the SB, then we start 2-5. After a (fluikish?) block FG win vs dallas everybody is back on the bandwagon, we might get into position for another run, and with expectation comes free fall, we get killed in Philly, I was there and it was embarassing. That year got F'ed by expectation.

Posted by: DaFunBunch | January 26, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

2007- Once again we come off a year with a top 5 pick, not expecting much from the team. Then we start slow, an Ot win vs Miami, and then an impressive win at PHilly, we are all on the wagon, the pre-game show even talking about how a 3-0 redskins team has never missed the playoffs. Then we blow a 17 point halftime lead vs NY. Same old redskins right? we beat Detroit by 30, at the time they were considered a very solid team. That night, the ESPN guys were touting us as a Gibbs I type team, strong and disciplined. Then we go and lose a touch game at GB, luck out at home vs Arizona, get Killed by the pats, sneak out of NY vs a bad jets team with 200 yds rushing. Were 5-3, going to the playoffs, we have a great kicker yada yada, we lose 4 straight and lose Sean Taylor (RIP). Now the year doesnt seem to matter as much anymore, not with the loss of Sean Taylor and the injury to Campbell, it looked hopless, it sure felt that way when people left the Bears game in the 1st half. Then another late season run, 4 straight, Toddball gets national attention, a big piece by ESPN and we lay a dud in Seattle, losing by 21.

Posted by: DaFunBunch | January 26, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

2008- It doesnt look good. We lost our HOF coach, our players vouched for a canidate that got turned down, and we backed into the hiring of a QB coach. Add that to a pretty bad pre-season and a horrid opener at NY, and we were talknig about 4-12. Then we pull out a clutch win vs New Orleans, dominate Arizona and out physical Pilly and Dallas away from FedEx. now everyone is inwardly thinking 7-1 is a guaranteee, Czaban says the team will win the SB and we wont lose again. High times in DC until we lost to the rams, unimpressive wins vs Clev and Det, gave the fans false confidence and we get killed by both Pitt and Dal on national TV. then a win in Seattle where the O looked ok, people got hyped about it and we get crushed by NY, Bal, and are embarrassed by Cincinatti.

Posted by: DaFunBunch | January 26, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Firing 40 or so employees so you can pay Jason Taylor 8 million dollars for what?

And for the prior soccer commentary. 2-0 is a joke for commanding lead? Unlike 14-0. Maybe they should simply change the accounting for futbol goals from 1 per to 7 per. Then we'd get your 28 - 14 score you prefer?

Posted by: kmag1 | January 26, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ohioskin | January 26, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Actually, we traded down with them last year. This is a good fit now that you bring it up, we could offer 13 and a 3rd next year for their 2 late 1sts and nab a tackle and a center. They would go for it because they were close to the superbowl this year, and they want a stud now, not two guys who will develop

Posted by: DaFunBunch | January 26, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Reed Doughty won the Ed Block Courage award....not that you'd expect to get that kind of information here....

Safety Reed Doughty, who missed most of the season with a back injury that required surgery, was named the Redskins' winner of the Ed Block Courage Award.

The Ed Block Courage Award is named for Ed Block, the longtime trainer of the Baltimore Colts.

Doughty, who lost his starting job to rookie Chris Horton even before he was injured, is a restricted free agent. Doughty hopes to re-sign with the Redskins.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 26, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

As Jim Mora would say:

Layoffs? Layoffs?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 26, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

You would not hear anything about reed doughty winning the ed block courage award cuz la crapola missed the scoop while he was getting the story about some hot dog vendors getting laid off.

Posted by: drewkinnear | January 26, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

chrislarry

No, I didn't go to the movies.

I sat in my cherry red '76 Camaro smokin' out and listenin' to my Journey 8-track cassette. I was angry that my Atari gaming system wasn't working as it crashed into my lava lamp while I was demonstrating how the wishbone offense ran with Johnny 'Lam' Jones running it.

So the guy I was partying with tried to calm me down with his dream about a successful presidency--highlighted by something he called compassionate conservatism-- would end with a dawg from the slums winning millions of votes.

(INSERT yawning GEICO caveman in a Redskins' Mark Carrier football jersey complaining about the idiot, unfunny bloggers in RI Nation.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, sounds like the team isn't making as much money as it expected to. It's not unusual for an NFL club to lose money in a given year and not lose any of its value as an asset. But these teams are so tight-lipped about their finances, it's like trying to understand a P&L statement from a big movie studio.

They're not exactly into transparency.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 26, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

classic Moe!

Posted by: chrislarry | January 26, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Greg, that's the first time I've ever heard of that award... heck, your posting it here may be the first Reed Doughty hears of it...

Looks like a terrific cause, but again, it's awfully obscure. Maybe they need a better PR person.

It looks like they designate one award winner per team per season. Past Redskin winners of this prestigious, if little-known, award:

2007 Marcus Washington
1988 Doug Williams
1987 Mel Kaufman
1986 Darryl Grant
1985 Ken Huff
1984 Mark May

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 26, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what the criteria for the award are, since I didn't look that hard, but you could put together a solid 10-6 team with those 24 or 25 Redskins, am I right?

Though... who would run the ball? Doug Williams throwing to Art Monk, James Thrash, Donnie Warren and James Jenkins wouldn't scare a whole lot of defenses...

(I guess the "Anthony Johnson" of 1992 was A.J. Johnson the CB?)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 26, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

who cares about the layoffs? BO will help all those folks soon with a works program that will dwarf the FDR programs of so long ago.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | January 26, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

+++Really, because I hate you constant pissing and moaning about the same thing, day in and day out...

Posted by: BeantownGreg+++

You're breaking my heart, Beans. See...at the bottom of all posts, there's a signature block. Go ahead. Check it out. I'll wait. Mine is "TheCork."

If you truly hate my "constant pissing and moaning"--and some how I doubt it--by all means stop reading my posts. Is it THAT hard for you to stop?

I suspect it is difficult for an addictive personality who feels he must constantly be on guard to protect and defend all things Redskins Park, and to attack any and all who criticize the Front office you are so enamored with.

I wouldn't mind if you weren't so damn humorless about it.

Posted by: TheCork | January 26, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, in the interest of fair play and full disclosure and etc., I should post the link to the Ed Block Courage Award site in case anyone else wants to find out more:

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 26, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 26, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kmag1 | January 26, 2009 5:58 PM
_________________________________

I have great sympathy for those losing their jobs and hope they find something else quickly. However, if on the day of free agency opening Vinnie and Snyder were to say we can't sign players and have to keep our cap space because we don't want to lay off any of our stadium or team employees EVERYONE on here would be outraged.

Posted by: 6-2StackMonster | January 26, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

+++Pardon me, talent evaluator, but WHEN WE PLAY PHYSICAL, WE WIN!!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | January 26, 2009 4:57 PM+++

We?

Posted by: TheCork | January 26, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 6-2StackMonster | January 26, 2009 7:57 PM
==========================================
Right.

I can see it now: "Danny Shrugged" by 6-2StackMonster.

At last Ayn Rand's works will be updated appropriately.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | January 26, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

+++Corky, Beanie, we have just GOT to get you guys together in person so you can hug it out. Good grief.

Posted by: NateinthePD+++

Shut up, Fathead.

We kid because we love.

Hey I'm the guy who said I was glad he's posting. He's the one who called me nasty names and hurt my feelings. Make the bad man stop, will you?

Speaking of big noisy things, a promoter of Monster Truck events, who went on TV defending their safety record after a kid was killed by one recently, was himself squooshed by a Monster truck at a recent event.

Now that's sad, but most of all, it's very very ironic.

And Beans says I post the same stuff, He's right about the big ego tho. And as you know, I'm the only one here with one of those.

Posted by: TheCork | January 26, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Poop

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 26, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Now that's sad, but most of all, it's very very ironic.

...

Posted by: TheCork | January 26, 2009 8:07
PM
=========================================
That's not ironic, it's the cycle of life. You know, Mother Nature and such as.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | January 26, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

The All-Ed team looks a little scant at defensive line too. You'll want to retroactively award one to Dexter Manley.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 26, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

BALTIMORE COLTS
1983 Nesby Glasgow

Man I haven't thought about that dude in a loooong time. Always dug that name.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 26, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Same 'ol, same 'ol..........

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 26, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Now that's sad, but most of all, it's very very ironic.

...

Posted by: TheCork

Did the guy die too?

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 26, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Did that just happen on Sunday Sunday Sunday?

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 26, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 26, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Timothy Geithner won confirmation Monday as President Barack Obama's treasury secretary despite personal tax lapses that turned more than a third of the Senate against him.

Obama said there had been a "devastating loss in trust and confidence" in the U.S. economy.*****

Posted by: lsskinsfan | January 26, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

back to football.....

anyone else think mangini got royally shafted? I think Favre stunk up the place and cost him his job, and by most accounts he's gone anyway. What a joke.

I would love to see Bruce Allen as GM at Redskins Park. Not holding my breath though.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | January 26, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

And here is hoping that the WaPo lays off at least one employee before the start of the 2009 NFL season...JReid, it's your time. PLEASE, for the love of god, make the switch.

On the other hand, Snyder, Cerrato, and JLC do share a common trait - incompetence. Maybe they should stay together after all.

Posted by: hithere1 | January 26, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lsskinsfan | January 26, 2009 9:15 PM
=============================================
No, it isn't like hiring Madoff to run your funds.

Hiring Madoff to run your funds is like voting for Bush in 2004. (Actually, that's like hiring Madoff to run your funds after he stole your money the first time.)

Spare us the Limbaugh dittoisms, would you? If I wanted to hear that cr@p, I'd be one of the morons who listens to Rush and believes what FAUX nooze has to tell me.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | January 26, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya ****

hmmm, seems like I hit a nerve with thunder.

I don't listen to Limbaugh either, he's far too right-wing for me. I also don't like the far left-side as again, too radical. Moderates seem to make the most sense imo.
What about Favre and Mangini?

Posted by: lsskinsfan | January 26, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey thunder, why don't you spare us your left wing, brainwashed, socialist, "make my decisions for me" crap and get a clue. There's a reason the Dems are backtracking faster than a prostitute in church. Whatever, I digress. This is why I try to stay out of the political BS. It's all just BS.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 26, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey scampbell1975, lsskinsfan, don't start none, won't be none.

Get it?
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | January 26, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Right.

I can see it now: "Danny Shrugged" by 6-2StackMonster.

At last Ayn Rand's works will be updated appropriately.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | January 26, 2009 8:02 PM
_______________________________

You might be on to something. Danny as Dagney might work but I don't know if I'd liken Vinnie to Hank Rearden or James Taggert. I wish Pepper Rogers was around. There'd be no dilema then.

Posted by: 6-2StackMonster | January 26, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lsskinsfan | January 26, 2009 9:15 PM
____________________________

I don't know, who knows crooks better than a crook. It's like the movie The Rock!

Posted by: 6-2StackMonster | January 26, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Leigh Torrence sleeps with a night light. Not because Leigh Torrence is afraid of the dark, but because the dark is afraid of Leigh Torrence.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | January 27, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Their combined salaries probably equal one single Clinton Portis road stipend. I love watching this sport, but the economics of it are abominable.

Posted by: drischord | January 27, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

"I can't reply because I don't even understand what you were trying to say.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | January 26, 2009"

Appears as if theTruth11 lives in Alabammmmmy probably near Douglas a place named after Stephen Douglas, Abe Lincoln's opponent in the Presidential election ... that part of Alabammy is where Georgians claim that inbreeding is rampant. In other words, incest is best.

Posted by: periculum | January 27, 2009 12:30 AM | Report abuse

"Of course I went to the movies. That's watch you do when there's no football or baseball on tv.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2009"\

Like the Drunken Master with Jackie Chan.

Posted by: periculum | January 27, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

"Hey thunder, why don't you spare us your left wing, brainwashed, socialist, "make my decisions for me" crap and get a clue. There's a reason the Dems are backtracking faster than a prostitute in church."

No wonder you are TLA dude. YOU still don't read the papers ... especially this one do you? Its far too liberal ... hmmm let's look at this from a very, very right wing conservative perspective.

Who made you take your shoes off at the airport, created a gigantic new and expensive agency just to spy on us ... and wait he actually created a new extension to the NSA in Colorado just to do that.

See about about gigantic new, completely unnecessary agency. Who was probably the most fiscally imprudent presidency in our nation's history. Using standard corporate measures (not the one the gov't applies on itself) we are over 3 trillion dollars in debt.

He did not seem like much of a fiscally conservative republican to me ...

Posted by: periculum | January 27, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

"Poop

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 26, 2009"

Scoopy Poopy Dooooooo ....

Posted by: periculum | January 27, 2009 12:45 AM | Report abuse

"Isn't this like hiring Madoff to run your funds? The whole system is corrupt, and corrupt people appoint more like minded people. Is it any wonder the American public has lost confidence?

Posted by: lsskinsfan | January 26, 2009"

Hmmm, possibly. It depends. Roosevelt hired a guy who made Madoff seem like a churlish school boy to be the first head of the new Securities Exchange Commission. His name was Joseph P. Kennedy. Putting the chief fox in charge of watching the other foxes seemed to work. Kennedy knew every angle and every trick.

Posted by: periculum | January 27, 2009 1:00 AM | Report abuse

"Add that to a pretty bad pre-season and a horrid opener at NY, and we were talknig about 4-12.

Posted by: DaFunBunch "

our 16-7 loss to the defending Super Bowl champs on the night of their ring ceremony on opening night on national television was NOT a "horrid opener". I don't care how good we are, that was a game we were setup to lose. We outscored them after the first quarter 7-6 and shut them out in the second half.

Our D was awesome that night, even with Shawn Springs on the sidelines.

Do yall watch the games or do yall just doom & gloom it up 24/7? Jeeze.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | January 27, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

So Obama today told Muslims that America is not their enemy.

Good to know considering there are lots of Americans who are Muslims.

facepalm

Posted by: TheTruth11 | January 27, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

JLC is definitely a joke. Here is an excerpt from an article on ESPN about how the Cardinals got to where they are:

Graves, who was later named general manager in 2007, issued a mandate: The Cardinals would rebuild themselves through the draft and always select the best player available. No more draft-day reaches because of need. Instead, they would target free agents for need-based roster openings.

Posted by: nagoose | January 27, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

So Obama today told Muslims that America is not their enemy.

Good to know considering there are lots of Americans who are Muslims.

facepalm

Posted by: TheTruth11

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | January 27, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren | January 27, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Darn,
I missed a stupid political conversation.

Damn.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 27, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

And here's our story on the NFL and the economy; it ran Sunday: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/24/AR2009012402118.html

Posted by: CindyBoren | January 27, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Press Release
From: The NFL

In order to save massive amounts of money the NFL is going to be reducing the total rosters of its teams to 18 players. Buy doing so we will create fare better teams in terms of quality of players as well as save tons of money in terms of overhead, ensuring the survival of all 32 teams.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 27, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: drischord | January 27, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

I totally agree. The sad part is people are getting fired and at the same time there's talk of adding Allen as an assistant GM or some admin position like that.

Posted by: az_david | January 27, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

This never would have happened (layoffs) with Leigh Torrence around.

Leigh Torrence could wave his hand at a recession and make it vanish. Prosperity would abound.

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 27, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

The offseason blog is like Caddyshack II - unfortunate.

Can't wait for draft day. McShay/Kiper had a pretty big shake up on their boards this week. Wonder if Little Danny and My Cousin will trade up for a marketable punter.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 27, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Very true Rypien. But you're not totally without blame, Mr. Super Bowl MVP- with your big game credential, cunning wit and brutally handsome looks, you could've joined with The 2nd Coming, Mr. Torrenece to mollify these economic woes.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 27, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | January 27, 2009 9:03 AM

They just realized this last week once Bush left office...........

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 27, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, poor Snyder can't afford the minimum wage people but he can waste $$$ on players like Deion, B Smith, Arch, etc, etc, etc.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | January 27, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

They just realized this last week once Bush left office...........

Posted by: 4thFloor

lol. I am so happy that clown is out of office.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | January 27, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Most of the American muslims I have talked to have been kinda scared the past 8 years. But those who know the circles I hang with know why.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 27, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

We need some jibba jabba up in here.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 27, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fearturtle44 | January 27, 2009 9:49 AM

Actually, he was hiring the minimum wage people about the same time he was hiring Deion, B. Smith, Arch, etc. First he got rid of Deion, B. Smith, Arch, etc., and now he's reluctantly letting the minimum wage guys go.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 27, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

fearturtle44, big game tonight! I mean, if we can't beat BC and Miami at home, we have no real chance to dance. They gave up against Duke, which is very disconcerting. But I still think they'll be ready after that embarassment. If Gary can't motivate them now, he never will. GO TERPS!!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 27, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

OK then, I guess I'll start it.

Who's disco album was worse: Kiss, Elton John or Ethel Merman?

Discuss.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 27, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

So what are you most looking forward to in the NFL off season.
No obvious answers like the pro-bowl or the draft.

Me: Which team will change their uniforms to make more money for the NFL and require homers to buy the latest EA sports Madden game?

Posted by: alex35332 | January 27, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I wish the Skins would change their unis.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 27, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Never gonna happen O_E.

They view their unis as classic pricelessness like how a school like Notre Dame views their unies like the Colts or Steelers.

They will play around with the all white all red but no plans for a big change.

PS - I know that all those teams have changed their unies at one point or another. But thats not the point.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 27, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

LMG, what do you think of Sean Mosley? I watch him play and I am trying to figure out why he was so highly recruited.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 27, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Caveman? Can I call you Hairy?

Sure. It sounds betta than A-Fraud.

I see the Mark Carrier jersey. How long you been a redskins fan?

I support all extinct native peoples.

You know that's a divisive comment.

It is what it is.

Somebody's gonna complain. Somebody's gonna sue.

Tell them to hire OJ's lawyer.

You're hot today. That guy is dead.

Like I said, "Who cares?"

Your Super Bowl pick, please. We heard Moe is taking the stillers.

Oh yeah, well, Moe took Limbaugh over Obama, Blago over the Feds, Beyonce over Rihanna, Wilbon over Kornheiser, Santa over the Grinch, and the flock of birds over the airplane engine.

Moe rolls with tradition. He's a loser. Me,
I root for the underdog. They taste like chicken...

...they really do.

Seriously? Well, Hairy, I guess you'd know.

The caveman is taking the cards 28-23 over the stillers. Trust me, bro', the stillers won't keep up if it becomes a high scoring game.

What if Moe is right and the stillers win?

He'll stop blogging and do his job...just like the rest of y'all should be doing in the middle of the day.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 27, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Why is that the recruiting classes of Maryland always suck? Greases Vasquez is an overrated BUM!
-------------------
I don't believe in jinxes and stuff like that, so I'd love to see the all burgundy uniforms again, or....

Burgundy jerseys; gold pants

All gold - (OG'd 'skins)

Gold jersey; burgundy pants

Gold jersey; white pants

No black for me - yeah you heard right.
It doesn't make sense, black is not one of their colors.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 27, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

-------

Is it possible to be overrated if you're never actually rated?

Have the Terps brought in a blue-chip prospect since Gilchrist?

Posted by: psps23 | January 27, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 27, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Is this even news?
The team, the league, the networks they all make money...
This is just another way a sleazeball can cut costs...
And if you don't think thats true then ask yourself "Why are things Full Price?", no discounts to help people in the recession. Its just pure greed.

Posted by: jimmydeanroundsausages | January 27, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 26, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Here's what you can make of it:

The Skins, Pats and NFL are all a bunch of cash-snorting junkies who'd rather not cut into their billion $ TV profits to spare some simple folks their jobs...

I seriously wonder what the total cost of salary/benefits were to the employees that got laid off...

Posted by: p1funk | January 27, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: drischord | January 27, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

And it's those salaries that are making the quote-un-quote Gameday Experience a thing of the past for Middle Income Families.

Posted by: Devo2 | January 27, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

THE SNOWCAM RETURNS -- WITH SNOW!!!!

Posted by: CindyBoren | January 27, 2009 9:04 AM

For me and my browser bookmarks, The Snowcam never left ... it just become increasing harder to watch over the preceding 10 months.

Posted by: dcsween | January 27, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Russ Grimm on NFL network now.

Looks much older with Gray Hair.

Says, they AZ Fans will have White 'Terrible Towels'.

Good interview.

Grimm for '10.........

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 27, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

" ... it just become increasing harder ..."

Me fail English?

UNPOSSIBLE!

Posted by: dcsween | January 27, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Is it possible to be overrated if you're never actually rated?

Have the Terps brought in a blue-chip prospect since Gilchrist?

Posted by: psps23 | January 27, 2009 10:39 AM

I guess you have a point.

I know dude thinks he's the sh_t, when he's nothing more than a fart.

His case of diarrhea of the mouth made him look foolish last Saturday. Duke took their lunch money and cookies.

I just don't get it. I think Gary Williams is an outstanding coach, not Coach K outstanding, but definitely one of the better coaches in college basketball. It seems that HS players should want to come to his school. I think its the system that he runs, Maryland doesn't believe in running.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 27, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

This is all BS there are people getting laid off all over the country.

I'm glad to see JLC is getting that tough to get inside information.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 27, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

"There are a lot of Americans that are Muslims Truth1. We are proud to be Muslims.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage "

What?

and someone on here mentioned the Maryland/DUKE game.

LMAO yall suck hard! Jeeze, they didn't "give up" against Duke, they never even tried! What a clown team and a clown basketball school.

I also want to take this time to say Steve Blake can suck it!

the last good thing to come out of Maryland was TA Maclendon!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | January 27, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

NFL EMPLOYEES’ BUYOUT DEADLINE IS MONDAY
Posted by Aaron Wilson on January 25, 2009, 7:08 p.m.
The deadline looms Monday for NFL employees at the league office, NFL Network and NFL Films to decide whether to accept a voluntary buyout package, sources told the Philadelphia Daily News.

Of course, if the league doesn’t get 150 volunteers for the buyout at the three operations based in New York, Los Angeles and Mt. Laurel, N.J., respectively, then layoffs will commence.

Daily News writer Paul Domowitch writes that the NFL is using the depressed economy as an excuse for parting ways with a portion of its work force even though the league is “making lots and lots and lots of money” He labeled the severance package for layoffs as ”an embarrassment.”

The NFL is reportedly offering one week of salary for every year of NFL employment in addition to 50 percent of a season performance bonus, a figure which apparently doesn’t amount to a lot of bucks.

The league laid off nearly 10 percent of NFL Films’ employees last March, and they are bracing to be hit hard again. The NFL is reportedly attempting to phase out NFL Films, which has chronicled the league’s history for 45 years.

The article notes that the league has even included NFL Films president and co-founder Steve Sabol on the list of employees eligible for the buyout.

“The company has been instrumental in making the NFL the immensely popular — and profitable — product it is today,” Domowitch writes. “Steve has been more important to this league than Paul Tagliabue ever was and Roger Goodell ever will be.”

While the NFL is undoubtedly not immune to the tough economic conditions we’re all dealing with, it does make a ton of money from its lucrative television contracts and is somehow able to afford paying huge guaranteed salaries to out-of-work coaches and General Managers who have been fired.

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 27, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

The Skins, Pats and NFL are all a bunch of cash-snorting junkies...

Posted by: p1funk | January 27, 2009 10:45 AM

I'd so love to be a cash-snorting junkie.

How does one accquire this blow of cash or, is it cash of blow?

Posted by: RedDMV | January 27, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

-------

Is it possible to be overrated if you're never actually rated?

Have the Terps brought in a blue-chip prospect since Gilchrist?

Posted by: psps23 | January 27, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Red/psp,

C'mon. You guys know why our recruiting sucks. It is because Gary is too busy riding around town in his convertible w/ his 27-year old girlfried to get his hands dirty in the recruiting.

He's a heck of a coach, but he delegates the recruiting aspect of the program to his assistants, so if you are a blue-chip prospect and you have JT III show up in your living room telling you how much you are going to play, then the next day Mr. Junior Assistant Schlobotnik from UM show up; who are you going with??

Posted by: p1funk | January 27, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

To summarize, lol @ Maryland.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | January 27, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

LURIE TAKES ISSUE WITH CLOSED ROOF
Posted by Sheil Kapadia on January 25, 2009, 8:59 p.m.
We pointed out in this morning’s One-Liners that Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie said he needed Ambien to sleep after last week’s loss to the Cardinals in the NFC championship.

Later in the Q&A with Bob Brookover of The Philadelphia Inquirer, Lurie took issue with the home team getting to decide whether the roof is open or closed in the playoffs. It’s an issue Lurie says he will bring up during the owners meetings.

“I tried to bring it up before the game and I was told when we approved these stadiums . . . that the league does not take control of the dome opened-and-closed issue,” Lurie said. “My memory was wrong. I thought when we approved [Houston and Arizona] that the league takes over a playoff situation. I think it will come up and not just by me. The league should control this.”

At Kurt Warner’s urging, the Cardinals kept the roof closed during their 32-25 win.

------------------

Discuss

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 27, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

wait TA went to NC State

so nothing good has ever come out of Maryland sports-wise!

ouch!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | January 27, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

The Skins, Pats and NFL are all a bunch of cash-snorting junkies...

Posted by: p1funk | January 27, 2009 10:45 AM

I'd so love to be a cash-snorting junkie.

How does one accquire this blow of cash or, is it cash of blow?

Posted by: RedDMV | January 27, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I think it would be a stash of cash-blow; and Snydes has blown it all - both the cash and the stash. Now that the blow has been blown, his best course of action is to kick the interns to the curb...

Posted by: p1funk | January 27, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

"Who's disco album was worse: Kiss, Elton John or Ethel Merman?"

Def not KISS. "I Was Made For Loving You" was a kick azz song!

Posted by: chrislarry | January 27, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

beep beep ... looks like new threads are dropping like snowflakes!

Posted by: dcsween | January 27, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

"Who's disco album was worse: Kiss, Elton John or Ethel Merman?"

Def not KISS. "I Was Made For Loving You" was a kick azzz song!

Posted by: chrislarry | January 27, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: CindyBoren | January 27, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Truth, you're just jealous, yeah it may be downtime for D.C. area sports, but S.C. will never have the prestiege and class of area known as THE DMV.

I mean you're on the DMV's jock already homie, who's your favorite football team again?

Yeah I thought so.

You think this area sucks - go root for the Carolina Panthers or Atlanta Falcons, you tool.

Get over it!

You don't like it? start saving that 186 dollar check you collect at McDonalds every two weeks, and quit blowing it prostitutes and internet porn, and maybe in about, oh, I don't know, 6 or 7 years of consistently saving you can purchase a bus ticket to Union station, boy.
---------------------
And Steve Blake is one of the better PGs in the league, because he is rare in the NBA.

He is a TRUE and PURE PG. That comes from great coaching before he stepped on a NBA court - coaches like Gary Williams, you fruitcake.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 27, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

regarding UMD -

It really is so sad. You would have thought consecutive final fours and a national championship would be enough ammunition get some decent prospects.

I don't think Gary has caught up with the times. Back in the '90s and early 2000's he could get away with having lesser talents and developing them over time. Now with the NBA rule change forcing high school players to play college, college ball is dominated by blue-chip freshmen and sophomore prospects. He can't go after the Juan Dixon types anymore. It's gotta be Carmelo, or Oden, or Durant, or Griffin, etc.

Posted by: psps23 | January 27, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Here's what's really going on......Another team let go of its VP of Ticketing Sales because he was aging, was injured alot, and wasn't producing. BUT he USED to produce. So, Vinny and Danny canned the Skins VP of Ticketing Sales and are going to hire the old one from the other team, pay him 3 times as much, and give him a huge signing bonus. Plus they are going to give away a second and third round pick for him.

Posted by: Monk81_Green28 | January 28, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

The press release Posted by: chrislarry on January 26, 2009 3:23 PM, was really impressive! You should run down to Redskin Park and apply for the...oh wait....never mind.

Posted by: hahaha-LOL-hahaha | January 28, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse