Redskins minicamp: A Day 1 obstructed-view summary

There's no media access to minicamp today, so we don't have any first-hand accounts of how the first practice session unfolded. But here's what we do know so far:

-- Linebacker Rocky McIntosh and cornerback Carlos Rogers signed waivers and showed up for the start of camp. Albert Haynesworth did not make it to town. It wasn't immediately clear if any other veterans opted out. The minicamp is mandatory for rookies but voluntary for veterans.

-- Trent Williams, the team's first-round draft pick last month, lined up at left tackle with the first team unit. Not a big surprise, but it makes clear the Redskins don't think they need to start him on the right side and ease him over. He'll have a chance to start at left tackle, and it seems like it'd be hard for him to lose that position.

-- Stephon Heyer appears to be the odd man out of the starting lineup. Heyer lined up at left tackle during the team's first minicamp. The team could've simply moved him over to the right side, where he's started many times before. But according to the Redskins' Larry Weisman, Artis Hicks was playing right tackle with the first-team group.

-- The starting inside linemen are still Derrick Dockery at left guard, Casey Rabach at center and Mike Williams at right guard, according to Weisman.

-- Felt like you dreamed that the Redskins signed veteran receiver Joey Galloway? Well, it's true. Redskins' blogger Matt Terl provided photographic evidence , as did the team's official Twitter feed.

-- Adam Carriker was also present, as evidenced by this photo. Also pictured there is a defensive lineman wearing No. 73, who's apparently a non-roster invitee. Could it be undrafted rookie defensive tackle Kyle Harrington out of Massachusetts?

-- There's a plethora of linebackers at this minicamp. The team's official Twitter feed shared a photo of them working out, including newly-signed Chris Draft and recently-drafted Perry Riley.

-- Oooh, and here's a nifty photo of your three-man running back corps.

By Rick Maese  |  May 7, 2010; 3:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Phillip Daniels and London Fletcher on the new defensive scheme
Next: Albert Haynesworth, 3-4 scheme likely will remain at odds

Comments

Posted by: beep-beep | May 7, 2010 3:10 PM

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 7, 2010 3:12 PM

Oh understood...I'm not looking to equally distribute race jokes... just hoping that folks would not get up in arms as long as its an even keel.

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 7, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

J-Reid is a whiny little btch. I'm glad minicamp was closed to press. should be that way always.

Posted by: kdjsgreen | May 7, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

LOL, the blogger has better access than you guys do.

Posted by: McMetal | May 7, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 7, 2010 3:17 PM

moo to you Rypien! what will you be grilling tonight, and am I invited? would love to get an autograph for the calves.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 7, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Wow, so JRied, who didn’t write the post (Maese did) is whining, and someone is surprised that the guy who is employed by the Redskins themselves to run a daily blog has better access to the minicamp. Awesome.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 7, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I saw Randy in one of photos. Is he still a redskins?

Posted by: skinsMill | May 7, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Out to eat tonight with in-laws... will try to stick to chicken.

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 7, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

"LOL, the blogger has better access than you guys do.

Posted by: McMetal"

Not that odd as they are employed by the team. Not hard to get access when you work for the Redskins....

Posted by: chrislarry | May 7, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 7, 2010 3:38 PM

chicken is good, but we're doing lamb tonight. enjoy!

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 7, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm on the record and I'll write it again. I'm for anyone typing their mind and if someone doesn't care for it they can always ITA.

I'd like to thank the bald 8lb baby Jesus who is so precocious and full of joy and wonderment for the likes of RedDMV, otherwise we'd be stuck reading the likes of T_E, L-S, & Beep-Beep all day.

Later b1tches...I'm off to work on my fitness.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 7, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you on this point. However, you have to realize that we spend a top 10 pick on that guy in this draft. We spent a second on the QB in this draft to now go and get another guy in the second round means that you missed on the guy you took. You will need that second rounder to upgrade another postion. You have to balance it out or find some very productive cheap players.

Posted by: jtrob_1 | May 7, 2010 3:35 PM

I think we're arguing different points if you are arguing that in your opinion Gaither's value to the Skins isn't worth a 2nd round pick. My point is that for his talent level and production at a key position, he's worth a 2nd round pick. I still don't buy your argument as I think most people would be satisfied with finding bookend OTs and a franchise QB while using 3 of their top 4 picks in rounds 1 and 2.

Posted by: TWISI | May 7, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Ron Burgundy: (lifting weights) 1001, 1002, 1003.
Veronica Corningstone: Uh, Mr. Burgundy? Helen said that you needed to see me.
Ron Burgundy: Oh, Miss Corningstone. I wasn't expecting company. Just doing my workout. Tuesday's arms and back.
Veronica Corningstone: Well, you asked me to come by, sir.
Ron Burgundy: Oh, did I?
Veronica Corningstone: Yes.
Ron Burgundy: Oh-h, it's the deep burn! Oh, it's so deep! Oh, I can barely lift my right arm 'cause I did so many. I don't know if you heard me counting, I did over a thousand.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 7, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Ryp, are you eating on their dime...? if so then Surf and Turf baby!!!

Posted by: chrislarry | May 7, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

it makes a darn good care for legalizing (and regulating) prostitution..

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2010 2:40 PM

Just curious, how would you regulate it?

Posted by: skinsfanintampa

They figured out how to regulate in Nevada, in Holland, etc. How would I regulate it? I'd start by looking at what works first.

fwiw, aboard my aircraft carrier -- there'd be more than just disaster relief ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

As I said you don't draft a guy in the top 10 then move his position..

Posted by: jtrob_1 | May 7, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I love how the anonymity of the internet brings out the @ssholes; you keep up the good fight, J-Ried.

Also, write MORE stuff and do more Video stuff. I know it's the offseason, but that's when we need our fix the most, man! -.-

Posted by: Corvis777 | May 7, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

As I said you don't draft a guy in the top 10 then move his position..

Posted by: jtrob_1 | May 7, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Just took a look at the 3 RBs. Seems one of them is balding a bit. Not sure who the last great bald RB was, anyone got something on this?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1

Shaun Alexander?

If you mean middle age man balding, then maybe Emmitt Smith?

Posted by: RedDMV | May 7, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Later b1tches...I'm off to work on my fitness.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 7, 2010 3:47 PM

Probably too late at your age. And, at this hour, it's more likely you're headed to Denny's with the other early birds.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 7, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

As I said you don't draft a guy in the top 10 then move his position..

Posted by: jtrob_1 | May 7, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Jason Reid,

There is no pain you are receding,
a distant ship's smoke in the horizon,
you are only coming through in waves,
your lips move
but I can't hear what you're saying

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | May 7, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

As I said you don't draft a guy in the top 10 then move his position..

Posted by: jtrob_1 | May 7, 2010 4:02 PM

If Gaither is playing RT what does have to do with Williams. Again I think most people who follow the game would think a pro bowl RT who can swing to LT if your starter is hurt, and play at a pro bowl level on that side of the line, is worth a second round pick.

Posted by: TWISI | May 7, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

mistamayor,

"There's a plethora of linebackers at this minicamp....including newly-signed Chris Draft and recently-drafted Perry Riley."

Linebacker is an area of need, and I'll continue whining that it's too bad Shanallen didn't show L Foote some luv (and cash).

We will find another linebacker--a receiver--from somewhere.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 7, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I think Willie Parker's hairline is moonwalking. Not sure though.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 7, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Just curious, how would you regulate it?

Posted by: skinsfanintampa

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

That was more about me trying to set up a Warren G/Nate Dogg reference than anything else...

And what's the deal with you and aircraft carriers.. I must have missed a thread or 2 because this is like the 4th time I have seen you linked?

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 7, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

out, first softball game is tonight, and its in the 80's....enjoy the weekend....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 7, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

...but funny things have happened before in a jury trial...

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 7, 2010 3:12 PM

See: Simpson, Orenthal James

Posted by: 4-12 | May 7, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

"I immediately pressed the automatic lock button locking all doors on my car."

So who's approaching your car that has you that fearful?

a. The BP Corporation.

b. Lawrence Taylor with plans for your 16 year old daughter and a sleepover with him as host.

c. mistamoe with an unfunny post

d. The State of Arizona thinks you might be an illegal alien as you look like half the people born within its borders.

e. Albert Haynesworth has heard there's a bucket of chicken in your backseat.

f. Bruce Allen thinks your brutish looking wife might be the next great redskin nose tackle.

g. finally, some out of towner who thinks you might 'hook' them up with now legal D.C. weed.

Thing is, you were hoping they had a bag to sell.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 7, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 7, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I think I'm beginning to buy in on your dis-ass-her relief plan. LOL.

Posted by: frediefritz | May 7, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

So, the biggest challenge for the training crew on day one was trying to figure out how to vaporize Milk of Magnesia so Joey Galloway could suck it up with his oxygen.

BTW, glad to see they are starting Williams out on day one at left tackle. He's going to be rough around the edges at first but starting him out at left is the right thing to do.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 7, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 7, 2010 4:27 PM

and a moo to you moe! this one actually got a chuckle...

count me in on choice "f"

catch you cows later... lawn needs grazing, and grill needs tending.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 7, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 7, 2010 4:30 PM

Because if you put him at right he'd feel left out?

Posted by: beep-beep | May 7, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I hope Trent Williams can take over for CS60 without any signifigant dropoff.

Got DeMarcus Ware the first game, who according to casava is the greatest football player ever.

Good luck and work hard Trent, hopefully practicing against Orakpo will help out alot.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 7, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

So who's approaching your car that has you that fearful?

H. The guy in a business suit with teeth to white to be real and a smile like a sharks.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | May 7, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Time for me to say....

beep beep

Posted by: beep-beep | May 7, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

How is Joey Galloway relavent, he's old, injury prone and been dropped by Tampa and NE mid-season, is he going to be a training camp tool to teach young receivers how to work, then cut....He's Moss but older and worse hands, someone please esplain?

Posted by: pittsconn | May 7, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

What do you guys think of the O-line?

It sounds decent to me...

- IF the rookie can step in at LT from day 1
- IF Artis Hicks is any good at RT. I'm pretty sure he's spent his career as a guard, not a tackle.

Poor Heyer. Beat out at his natural position by a guard?

Posted by: Alan4 | May 7, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Any news on Colt Brennan?

Posted by: daniba | May 7, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm encouraged! The O-line without Heyer starting has got to be better than last year. The kool-ade is starting to taste pretty good.

Posted by: 4merskinsfan | May 7, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Its the guys in the van chasing you telling you to spit out your gum!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | May 7, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I've heard a zillion experts opine that coaches ought to adapt their schemes to the personnel, almost always in bearing witness to failures in connection with the opposite, often ego-maniacal approach.

The genius of Shanahan & co. eludes me so far. Loading up on decent RBs works for me -- after getting a solid line together. Hitching the wagon to a proven superstar QB works for me -- after getting a solid line together, and crossing my fingers that the talents of a proven to be damn good McNabb approach the stratosphere in which are found those of the freakishly fantastic Elway.

With so many Redskin weaknesses crying for attention, why so obnoxiously "fix" the relatively unbroken new D-line? The new professional leadership, presumably, gives Haynesworth appropriate share of the huge increase in sacks credited officially to Carter & Orakpo.

Coaching 101 says otherwise, so I trust that the new regime thinks it likely that time, effort, and disregard for obvious disquiet from a source as otherwise legitimate and credible as Haynesworth's success earns him is sufficient to compel a redesigned 3-4.

There must be more than ego behind the change to 3-4. It must be compelling despite the 4-3 personnel. I'm stupid, I guess.

Me, I'd be content with London Fletcher in charge sort of and then with efforts to maintain my top-ranked 4-3 thru the transition, while teaching Carlos Rogers how to catch.

Posted by: dcfanoutwest | May 8, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

"Mysterious is the motivation to focus so much on fixing one of the few things that ain't broke. That to do so is so unlikely to help and so likely to piss off one of the best guys suggests that it is intended not to help but to piss off one of the best guys. Leave the 4-3 alone, clowns.Posted by: dcfanoutwest"

You have a point, but what makes you think the defense 'ain't broke'? Blache IMO designed it to play a certain style that showed up well in the total defense stat and not so well when you looked at turnovers and big plays. It was a very conservative scheme that he modified some last year to create more QB pressure, with some positive results. Even with Albert Haynesworth, Andre Carter, and Brian Orakpo, opposing QBs were able to get rid of the ball in time. And don't forget how many big plays they gave up, particularly late in the game when they desperately needed a stop.

Don't forget the Skins finished 10th in total defense, but 18th in scoring -- one point ahead of Philly. We're in a division with Dallas, the second ranked scoring defense in the NFL.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 8, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I have no faith in our RB or WR groups. Gonna be another long season. Outclassed by the talent on offense in the NFC East by a long shot. Gotta get McNabb someone to throw to.

Posted by: Rex91 | May 8, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse