Redskins Mull 'Very, Very Close' Roster Moves

Redskins Coach Jim Zorn and his staff arrived at Redskins Park Friday with a monumental task ahead of them only hours after completing the final preseason game against Jacksonville: Cutting 22 players by Saturday's deadline to get the roster down to 53.

"Sometimes there's guys that are even, and we're having to make a decision on how we feel about two players that you see very, very close," Zorn said. "Quite frankly it could be an offensive player vs. a defensive player as well, and where we can fit the need, so it's a very difficult puzzle to complete, and we're going to be doing that this afternoon."

Zorn and his staff will have meetings Friday afternoon to complete their evaluations and make the final decisions. The biggest news out of Zorn's mid-day meeting with reporters:

The club seems like it is strongly considering keeping a fourth running back, perhaps Marcus Mason; and veteran tackle Mike Williams, despite being injured for much of the preseason and a seemingly shaky performance against Jacksonville, has solidified his spot in Zorn's eyes.

"I think I've seen enough from Mike Williams," Zorn said. "I was really glad. He played 50 plays last night. His ankle was tender after it was all over, but I thought he battled well. Based on our evaluation this afternoon, I think he stands a good chance. [ellipsis] I really believe that he made it compelling for him to be a part of this football team and really, he rose up."

Zorn said Mason and Anthony Alridge were both in consideration for a spot to join veterans Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts and Rock Cartwright in the backfield. Mason was limited Thursday night because of a sore rib, Zorn said.

"I thought he had a very good preseason," Zorn said. "Would liked to have seen him last night a little bit more. We'll discuss him this afternoon. ... I thought he probably did more in pass protection than he needed to. He was doing some things last night, when we did have him in, he was trying to chip a defensive end when he didn't have to chip a defensive end, because we had him blocked. He's very willing to strike a blow. The thing that I want to see more out of him if he has the opportunity to be here is to get into his routes and really run his pass routes instead of being so conscious of the pass protection. He's got to get into his routes quicker."

Alridge, whose fumble of a kickoff led to a Jacksonville touchdown, responded well to that gaffe, Zorn said, and is "definitely in consideration. Alridge also missed some of the early part of preseason with a foot injury.

"The fumble is a concern," Zorn said. "I saw his reaction. We put him back in there, and again, he didn't have that same result. He actually did hold onto the ball. He actually did run with the ball. He caught the ball as well. ... It'll be a longer discussion than, 'No,' or 'Yeah.' It won't be something that we just gloss over."

Zorn said he hasn't yet discussed the place-kicking situation with special teams coach Danny Smith. Incumbent Shaun Suisham converted a 48-yarder against Jacksonville, while newcomer Dave Raynder made both extra points. The two have combined for only four field goal attempts in four preseason games, but Zorn said: "I think we'll come up with the right choice here."

Zorn said the third quarterback spot -- a battle between second-year player Colt Brennan and rookie Chase Daniel -- will "be another heavily discussed item on the docket," a docket that includes a handful of decisions that will be so close as to come down to nearly a coin flip.

"I think there's three or four scenarios where you say, 'Okay, here's two guys. Let's talk about these two guys,'" Zorn said.

By Barry Svrluga  |  September 4, 2009; 1:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cerrato: 25 on Offense
Next: Redskins Waiting on Thomas

Comments

thomas boswell

thank you tom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | September 4, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know who typically makes the roster cut-down decisions? Coaches, GM, or collaboration? Seems to me there is all kinds of talk like it’s Vinny making the final decisions…..shouldn’t it be the coaches, who see everything that happens in practice as well as the games? Just can’t see Vinny having enough time to review game and practice film of every position on the team…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 4, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse
No inside info here. But I would think it would be a collaboration, with coaches having most say. But there are salary cap issues that need to be addressed.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 4, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

deal, go put your 'sims' shirt on, and re-watch the lions/bills game.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

phil sims? wouldn't that be my buffalo shirt?

Posted by: dealer1 | September 4, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we are keeping 4 RB's or maybe Jimmy invented a whole new position on the field! AY JIMMAY!

Posted by: alex35332 | September 4, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

What I think they'll do:
Portis/Betts/Cartwright/Mason

KR: Cartwright
PR: Flip a coin

What I'd like them to do:
Portis/Betts/Mason/Dorsey

KR: Thomas, with Rock Blocking
PR: Dorsey

Posted by: smurff11 | September 4, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Chase to the practice squad, that way he can be mentored by Colt, and we can do this all over next year.

Posted by: ccwbambam | September 4, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 4, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | September 4, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

It is a collaboration, like with any team. But Vinny Cerrato has the final say.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 4, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

playing the fool, I see....that would be Billy Sims, detroit RB in the early 80's...nicely done acting like you don't know who that was....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Mentored by Colt... In doing what, throwing a ball wrong?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 4, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Gee, you'd think Bos was reading the ThRedskins?!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Okay, my bad. Aldridge does have a history of injury problems, right? He's not durable AND he fumbles... yeah score one for your boy Aldridge...

The fact that Aldridge went to Houston and Mason went to Youngstown St. means exactly dick! You know why? Becasue it is college. That weak fact you brought up about schools means s***. I think Jerry Rice can tell you wear to shove that argument... All that stuff you got from wiki means nothing because it's all in college and done in a weak conference at that. Conference USA? Get outta here with that "Aldridge played at a better program" stuff... smh @ that right there...

And you said fumbling wasn't an issue for Aldridge last preseason.. Dude, Marcus Mason led the entire NFL in rushing last preseason, so that's moot right there. And in college (there you go again), what the f does that have to do with him fumbling the ball in camp and in games NOW?

WTF man? That's like saying that someone should get a pass because they didn't smoke crack in college even know they do now.

As far as Mason and his pass protection, he's gotten better at it. It's just not one of his stronger suits.

Put it this way: Mason isn't a very good pass protector/blocker, but has gotten better at it. Aldridge who "fumbling wasn't an issue for Aldridge last preseason or in college", has all the sudden developed a problem fumbling the ball.

Who and which facet would worry you more?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 4, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

1. Please put down the energy drink. And watch your language, there are some kids reading this blog (Periculum)
2. My point about Alridge performing well in college was a counter-point to your argument that Mason is the better runner. While neither have taken a snap in the NFL, it's only logical to look at their bodies of work in college. You have no evidence on which to base your statement. My point was never that Alridge is DEFINITELY the better runner, but just simply that you have no evidence that Mason is the better runner. When you made that statement, the burden of proof was put on you. I just don't see how anyone could say that MM is 'obviously' the better runner than AA.
2. We've already gone over this. Fumbling and pass protection are both correctable. Lacking breakaway speed is not. MM will never have breakaway speed.
3. If I had to choose one of them as my #1 RB I'd go with MM. I like him a lot. But if I had to choose one of them as my #2 or #3 RB to complement Portis I'd go Anthony Alridge every day of the week and twice on Sunday. It's similar to how the Cowboys decided on drafting Felix Jones. If they didn't have Barber they would have drafted Mendenhall. But bc they already had M. Barber, they drafted Felix Jones. And he averaged over 8 yards per carry last year. We should keep Alridge over MM. (But ideally CP, MM, AA, LB as most people feel...)

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | September 4, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | September 4, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't agree more. Want to see different skills in the backfield to give defenses different looks.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 4, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

It is a collaboration, like with any team. But Vinny Cerrato has the final say.

Posted by: Barno1 |

Barno, either you are assuming facts not in evidence, or you've just outted yourself as a Redskin employee. After your rants of yesterday, I tend to favor the latter, because they had the hysterical approach of one who believes his job is on the line, dependent on his boss suckery.

Not that there is a lack of egomaniacs here, so if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Posted by: TheCork | September 4, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Those kids should be in school still. Back in the early days (RI 1.0 a la JLC), before I realized that everyone just says the same thing over and over again, I used to read every little comment made.

I learned that was a big waste of time... I really hope no one still does that. Especially kids. They should be playing outside and saying no to drugs.

Posted by: Dorf | September 4, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else see Blount from Oregon throw the punch of the year last night against Boise State?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 4, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

It is a collaboration, like with any team. But Vinny Cerrato has the final say.

Posted by: Barno1 |

Not that there is a lack of egomaniacs here, so if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Posted by: TheCork | September 4, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Hah. Well then I guess I'm just assuming facts then because I am not an employee of the team.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 4, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

A few things I like and a few I don't

1. Good competition for spots like RB, QB and LB
2. We have a Punter!! Who also seems to know how to hold for FGs
3. The 2009 rookie class seems like they'll have an impact in 2009

4. I get a sense that the team didn't seem to really try to solve the PR issue ... and it doesn't seem solved to me
5. Wish Zorn had set the WR starters last week. Campbell needs more time than most QBs to develop the rapport with his WRs and he got less.
6. A lack of intensity

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 4, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Mason fan, but reading the tealeaves has me believing that Alridge makes the roster. I've heard Vinny, JZ, and Doc mention today how the coaches were monitoring how Alridge would respond after his fumble. He came off the field slammed his helmet, went back out and made plays. I think that bodes well.

Posted by: TWISI | September 4, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

BTW for anyone in the know, if Mike williams isn't up to snuff what would happen if he went on the PUP?

Posted by: Veretax | September 4, 2009 1:57 PM

PUP is something like 6-8 weeks ... after which, the guy is either activated and signed (and someone released), activated and released, or put onto season long IR.

Also, intuitively, I would have to agree with Barno that Vinny has the last word (if there needs to be a last word). Ideally, the coaches come around to some consensus where the position coaches argue for their guy, then Danny Smith pipes in, then the coordinators, then Danny Smith again, then Zorn and Vinny chatter it out. The talent guys are probably in those discussion too (Scott Campbell and Marocco Brown). My STRONG STRONG guess is that The Owner, fantasy footballer that he is, is in the room too.

Posted by: dcsween | September 4, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Ok....you got me. It's me, Vinny.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 4, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Vinny said there would be "some surprises" (plural) on that radio show. My hunch is that the done vet is Wynn (as of the time of the supplemental draft choice for Jarmon), but I don't think that would be a surprise. My bet is that they surprise is that they keep six WRs instead of 4 RBs.

Posted by: dcsween | September 4, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Ok....you got me. It's me, Vinny.

Posted by: Barno1
++++++++++++++++
Good. Now that that's cleared up, get out of RI and get back into the room with the coaches. You guys have a lot of work to do before tomorrow.

And keep scanning the waiver wire for OL help.

Posted by: smurff11 | September 4, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

They should have traded Betts 2 years ago, and be looking to trade Rock after last year. they can't cut these guys or shouldn't because they have value. It would be poor business and team management to do so. they have to get trade value in my eyes.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | September 4, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Thomas Boswell is one of the best writers in the business, the Dean of WaPo sportswriters, and a class act from start to finish.

His column today is nothing short of a masterpiece.

It is literate, balanced, rational, yet emotional. And it all but cuts the heart of many Redskin fans. Or would, if Snyder hadn't beaten him to it.

Posted by: TheCork | September 4, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Yea he at least deserves heavy suspension.

Kid from Boise probably got what he deserved though, no need to point a guy out, say something, then laugh in his face.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 4, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI

Not anti-Alridge, but .... if you're fighting for a roster spot and you know you touch the ball only a few times a game, wouldn't you make sure you didn't fumble? For Alridge, this was a clutch moment, and he fumbled.

As for his being angry, I'd be mad too if I just lost my job

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 4, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

dc, what 6th receiver is worth keeping?

SM/MK/DT/ARE/MM.....

And yeah, I'd PUP Big Mike...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

did folks actually notice how small Chase Daniel is? they better keep colt brennan for that lone. Given JC's pending contract situation, the entire QB situation will be up in the air for next year anyway.

Posted by: oknow1 | September 4, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | September 4, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Been I watch the clip and the guy said soemthing to him. Not sure what he could have said for him to hit the hell out of him. But it was like he just walk up to him and hit him.

Posted by: jm220 | September 4, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

1. Saw the Blount punch. What an a$$ clown, regardless of whatever the guy who got dropped said to him. What did he expect after running smack in the press and then getting crushed?

2. Think ball security trumps breakaway speed... last nights fumble was not his first...sayonara Aldridge. Unless, of course, the Vinster super trumps. Besides...you can coach MM when to chip or not chip getting into your routes.

3. Think Colt has got it... easier to keep Chase on the practice squad.

4. Suisham's job to lose...and Rayner didn't win it.

5. ARE number 5 receiver. He better return some punts with an attitude this year.

5a. Kelly is gonna KICK A$$ this year.

6. Byron Westbrook?? Criminey, high schoolers tackle better than that, little bro. L8.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 4, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why everyone wants to cut BMW. We knew he wasn't ready to start. He gave up a big play to a first stringer. Isn't that exactly what not ready for another couple weeks means? He's still improving. As long as he's improving you might as well keep him around. He's the last guy on the depth chart. We have to lose 2 tackles before he plays anyways. If he's still truly awful and if we lose 2 tackles then you can drop him for 1 of the servicable backups out there. If we lose 2 tackles in 1 game we aren't throwing the ball anyway. We're going to have to run out the clock and hope for the best. I don't think you lose anything by having him on the roster but he has some upside.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 4, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

"pps, yeah, saw that.....he needs to be booted from that team...sucked punched that guy from the other team, then basically had to be physically dragged off the field...not a good night for the Oregon Ducks.."

As much as that dude was wrong for serving up a sucker punch, the guy he punched seemed to deserve it. You could see him talk trash and then have his own coach grab him. Again, never cool to sucker punch someone...but am I the only one who was ammused by a SJK talker getting his mouth closed?

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | September 4, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

... It is literate, balanced, rational, yet emotional. ...

Posted by: TheCork | September 4, 2009 2:28 PM

Those first three disqualify him from posting up here.

Beantown, Eloi.

Posted by: dcsween | September 4, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Just read the Boswell article. One word:

Brilliant.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 4, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Random tangent here, was looking through the Redskins Media Guide for 2009 and found some interesting fun facts about JC17 for Redskins records:

Highest Passer Rating, Career: #2 He's sandwiched between Sonny Jurgensen and Mark Rypien/Joe Theismann. Not a bad place to be.

Most passes competed, Season: #2, just 1 completion behind Brad Johnson.

Most Passes Completed, Game:
#1, 33 passes vs Cowboys 11/18/07
I like this record. No. I LOVE it.

Highest Completion Percentage, Career (min 1000 att):
#1, 59.7%, 2005-2008

Most Consecutive Passes, Completed:
#2, 16, 09/14/08, 09/21/08

Most Consecutive Passes Attempted, No Interceptions
271, JC17, 2007-2008
Holds the lead by 109 passes over Theismann

JC17 also holds both Career and Season lowest percentage passes intercepted @ 2.0% career and 1.19% season (2008).

Only problem is he's not on any of the passing yards or passing TD top 3 lists. If he gets those two stats up without the others suffering, he'll be one of the best QBs our franchise has ever had.

Posted by: Keiser | September 4, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Also, intuitively, I would have to agree with Barno that Vinny has the last word (if there needs to be a last word)..... My STRONG STRONG guess is that The Owner, fantasy footballer that he is, is in the room too.

Posted by: dcsween

Well Sween, I'm sure Mr. Potter is in the room making his fantasy input along with Vinny and Zorn, but if Zorn DOESN'T have the last word--that's messed up.

(I'm talking skill wise. Naturally when it comes to acquisitions and financing, the suits have to have control.)

But I can't see this:

"Gee Vinny, whattaya say? Colt or Chase? Should be your call, what with all your QB experience."

But if he claims he's just another RI egomaniac like the rest of us, that's cool too.

Posted by: TheCork | September 4, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Zorn's comments about M.Williams are a slow-cooked crock pot of you know what.

What did he show in 50 plays? A dozen different ways to get beat.

Posted by: p1funk | September 4, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Zorn's comments about M.Williams are a slow-cooked crock pot of you know what.

What did he show in 50 plays? A dozen different ways to get beat.

If losing 100 pounds and limping around a field for 50 plays getting abused is enough to make an NFL roster, then fat untalented dudes everywhere are rejoicing.

Posted by: p1funk | September 4, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

So wait, Cork, you LIKE?!? Bos?... couldn't tell from the comment..

...maps...

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

So does anyone think there's a chance we ship Todd Collins off to NE and keep Colt and Chase?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 4, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

sorry for the double post.

sorry for the double post.

Posted by: p1funk | September 4, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

ANybody see that ANOTHER O coordinator got cut the last week before opening kick off?

Say what you will...but at least the Redskins are not THAT dysfunctional.

How do you get to within two weeks of the first game and then decide you don't want your OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR??????

Thats gotta inspire confidence across the organization... "yay, we know what we are doing!!!" LMAO.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 4, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

really dc?? I haven't seen it with that guy, I'd PS him, but I don't know...just don't see it.

jm, agreed the guy shouldn't have said what he did, but Blount ran his mouth to the press, then when it back fired, he choose violence as his response....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I think Kaneohe has it right... Blount from Oregon was trash talking in the leadup to the game, and then he did less than nothing in the game itself, and then he's so worked up after the game that he punches a dude. And then he's so out of control he literally has to be dragged off the field because he apparently wants to fight someone, anyone... what an idiot, what an embarrassment. There is no excuse for this behavior, no matter what provocation or taunting he suffered.

The kid's being crucified out here, and rightly so... and this is seen as a moment for the new Oregon coach to assert his control over the team by swiftly taking a zero-tolerance stance on this and cutting him outright. I don't think they have the stones to do it, but we'll see. Plus at least one media person has suggested that he may well face assault charges in Boise.

(This event dredged up my misgivings about Albert Haynesworth, my inability to forgive and forget the signature moment of his career, stomping another player's bare face with his cleat. Yeah, we signed the dude who stomped another player's face with his cleat! We got that dude! *sigh*)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 4, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

BMW is a project that won't pay dividends for quite a while, if ever.

This is where the European league was so useful. Clearly BMW's not close to ready for prime time, but he's not going to develop his skills sitting on the bench. This is a guy who needs the baseball equivalent of a year in the minors.

Without playing time, BMW has little future. But where can he get the playing time? I don't see an obvious way for this to work out.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 4, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

And for the record, I NEVER thought Barno WAS Vinny. Just a toady. One of those guys who used to write in trying to get JLaC fired ...

Posted by: TheCork | September 4, 2009 2:39 PM

More likely the latter. Barno's beef with JLC dates back to the early days, pre-Hatfield v McCoy ... its about the non-delivery of a Cooley signed copy of a DVD called Heavy Metal Parking Lot.

Posted by: dcsween | September 4, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

nate, from the footage I've seen, Blount basically throws a punch at one of his own teammates who is trying to get him away from the fray.....I don't see any way the coach can keep him on the team....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Veretax | September 4, 2009 1:57 PM

Canplayers go on PUP now? I thought it was for players who are not ready for training camp. Once cleared for training camp, I didn't think that was an option.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 4, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 2:42 PM

Bubble guys are going to the PS regardless. I think its more about positions and position needs and I can't understand how the Skins would try to find playing time for a 4th RB given all the hefty lifting they already are going to have to do to manage Portis' ego and reduced number of touches.

Posted by: dcsween | September 4, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Totally disagree with that statement and that's the reason why I am holding judgment until we hear what was said. I am not for a person saying anything and think they can get away with it. If you man enough to say something crazy you better be man enough to take what comes next. A guy at my current job kept threaten me with a gun for over a month while we was at work thinking nothing was going to happen. I went over to his desk (my manager sat right next to time) told him make one more threat and I was going to kick his a** right there. Well I am still at my job and he is no longer here.

Posted by: jm220 | September 4, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they keep 4 QBs?

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 4, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I like MK12 -- even liked what little there was to see in last year's preseason. But in the game last year and the preseason this year, he shows me that he's still quite raw. In 3 end zone plays, he messed up 3 times. Last year and again in the preseason, he went to the corner of the end zone. Both times, he failed to drive the CB enough towards the middle of the field. The result, both times the play could not succeed because a catch would have been out of bounds. Kelly needs to create that space ... he's big enough that he ought to be able to do it. On the 3rd play, looked like a fade-stop, he seemed to tangle himself up a bit and wasn't able to make a solid play on the ball. Only saw the play live, so I couldn't break it down further.

One of the big things mentioned about Kelly is how his size will help in the red zone. His size can help, but the kid has work to do before it does help.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 4, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 2:42 PM

Posted by: dcsween | September 4, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------------------

Rock has been the #3 RB for ages and he hasn't gotten many touches outside of returns. This is why depth charts are sometimes misleading. Sure, the guy might be 'technically' behind Rock on the totem pole, but he might actually get more touches simply because of special abilities.

For example, Vick is what? the #4 QB in Philly, but look at all the touches he's getting because he can flat out move.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 4, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Can players go on PUP now? I thought it was for players who are not ready for training camp. Once cleared for training camp, I didn't think that was an option.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 4, 2009 2:48 PM

Maybe. Seems like I've seen some teams just put guys on the PUP list due to injuries that arise or get worse during camp. I dunno.

Posted by: dcsween | September 4, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

"Anyone know who typically makes the roster cut-down decisions? posted by barno1"

Why, we do, of course. The folks on this blog. We devote most of our time and energy to the third and fourth string, figuring that teams win in inverse proportion to the quality of the players who actually make it on the field.

This is why the Skins have been so successful. We're making the decisions.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 4, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Oregon kid was HILARIOUS!!! I don't feel sorry for him at all, nor the trash talker he stole. Made him look stoooooopid.

Boz article - definitely well written & love the home town cookin' angle. But he really is just saying what we were yesterday. So if it's brilliant, then Hail to the ThRedskins!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

jm - I get what you're saying but when that dude threatened you, you dealt with him and him alone. You didn't punch him, then run around the office trying to fight everyone who you came in contact with.

That dude went from zero to Ron Artest in about 0.5 seconds.

No call for that.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 4, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 4, 2009 2:45 PM

As a former (and now retired) blog policeman (and judge and jury), I note the mitigating factor is Mssr. Haynesworth's matter was that the recipient of the aforementioned polka was Andre Gurode, center for the Dallas Cowboys.

Posted by: dcsween | September 4, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

"That dude went from zero to Ron Artest in about 0.5 seconds"

HAHA, thats friggin comedy gold right there....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

There is no way williams should make the team.

Posted by: jmy999 | September 4, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they keep 4 QBs?

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 4, 2009 2:52 PM

That would not be a surprise, that would be indecision. Moving Colt to WR? That would be a surprise. Deciding YES to the Wildcat formation? That would be a suprise. Albert Haynesworth in a thong? That would be gross.

Posted by: dcsween | September 4, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 4, 2009 2:45 PM

Posted by: dcsween | September 4, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------

[Singing] Save a bug, stomp a Cowboy!

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 4, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Agreed on BMW: why?

That dude went from zero to Ron Artest in about 0.5 seconds. roflmfao!!!

I heard an interview w/ an NBA player that he ran into Artest playing STREETBALL shirtless w/ no SOCKS on?!? wtSJK?!!! Awesmoe!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

So I can't find video of this punching Duck, but the guy rushed for minus 5 yards in 8 carries. Ouch. Whether or not he turded out after the game, he was not going to be having much more playing time after this week anyway.

Posted by: dcsween | September 4, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

jm, I see where you're coming from, but you didn't flip out and potentially cost yourself your entire career. You had a sense of the consequences of your actions, and you measured your response accordingly.

It looked to me like the Blount kid was just begging to be set off, and the Boise State kid obliged -- and I should note that the Boise State kid should be disciplined, too -- and the Blount kid was just redlining from there on... whatever part of his brain might have measured his response, whatever part of his brain might have understood the consequences of his actions, was disabled...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 4, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Mason ran well against the Patriots first teamers, sheriff. Mason got burn against the Pat's first team defense.. Ya boy? Not so much... Aldridge ran well against dudes who are practice squad bound.

That's the basis of my analysis of Mason is a better runner than Aldridge. Did you not see this, or were you busy tuggin' it to 'net porn at that time?

Yea, Aldridge is faster, but HE FUMBLES the ball, and THAT is a problem.

LOL @ you telling me to watch my language, who are you my pops? Sure I'll take that under advisement... Telling me to do that is like telling you to stop this Aldridge cream fest, which obviously ain't happening.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 4, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Blount=roidrage

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX
___________________________

Well he didn't step on a human, he stepped on a Cowpie. I'm more concerned about whether that harmed Albert's cleat.

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 4, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I love avocado on a sandwich, but I hate that it acts like a lubricant -- every friggin' bite I have to keep the avocado slices and the rest of the sandwich contents from slipping out the other side. Sure, the ciabatta roll shares some of a blame, but the avocado is the problem.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 4, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

From wikipedia:

Physically Unable to Perform is the term for a rule in the National Football League which allows teams to designate players as "Physically Unable to Perform" or "PUP". Once they are designated as such, they are prohibited from practicing with the team. They can, however, rehabilitate and participate in team meetings. If a player begins training camp on the PUP list, they can be moved to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player is not allowed to be placed on the PUP list if they start training camp on the active roster.

A player who begins the regular season on the PUP list must sit out his team's first six games. After that point, a team has three weeks to start having the player practice; once the player begins practicing, the team has another three weeks to put the player on the active roster. If the player is not activated by that time, or if he does not begin practicing within that three week window, he must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Doesn't look that Mike Williams is eligible for PUP, given that he was active during training camp.

Posted by: smurff11 | September 4, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

mash the avacado first, just slightly. increases friction.. don't ask me how I know...

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, yeah, yeah, so the dude Albert stomped on was a Cowboy. Doesn't change a thing. A line was crossed.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 4, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween
_________________________

That sucker punch vid is here:

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 4, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Sure, the ciabatta roll shares some of a blame, but the avocado is the problem.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 4, 2009 3:16 P

**blog policeman intervention**

Have you considered how this comes across to the avocados who are posting up here? At least three of them have posted on this thread. I'm not mentioning names, but I don't think it's right to call them out for, well, being themselves.

**end blog policeman intervention**

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Since when does ...."actually holding onto the ball".... constitute a basis for keeping an NFL player? Since VINNIE CERRATO recommended him? Come on ZORN. Be a head coach, you can't run scared regarding your job. I understand the REDSKINS keeping another back. That's fine by me, but why not MASON? He's worked his tail off for years to make this club. Complaints from the staff about MM's emphasis on pass protection during the game is disingenuous. Coach, weren't you harping on that aspect of his game just last week? Is the young man supposed to be clairvoyant? Let's see, what to pick on next. Any old excuse in a pinch. Never mind - O.K. lets keep ALRIDGE. VINNIE likes him, and he can run with the ball as long as he's holding it.....Gimme a frickin' break!!!! I guess having former MIKE SHANAHAN players on the 53 man is important for the future transition, right JIM?

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 4, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the suggestion, Dik, I appreciate it.

People helping people... that's the RI way.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 4, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 4, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I think it's more of an avacado placement issue. Place the avacado next to something with a good bit of friction like directly against the bread or against the meat(giggety). Things get a little tough when you try to use too many slippery foods. You wouldn't want to put a slice of cheese on a sammich with tomato and avacado. Try going with a shredded cheese in this case and put the avacado directly on the meat and the tomato directly on the bread with the shredded cheese in between. Now it gets even more complicated when you try to add condiments. If you are adding condiments you may need another friction providing food like bacon for example. Basically, alternate friction food with slippery food.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 4, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 4, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------------------------

Speaking of avocado..

Taco seasoned Burger + Swiss + Tomato Slice + Grilled Onion + Grilled Jalapeno + Guacamole = An unexpectedly tasty burger. As in one of the best I've ever had.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 4, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX
__________________________

Kidding aside, yes absolutely unacceptable. But this was 3 years ago...

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 4, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Death and Destruction to the Avacados! Long live the Cibatta!!

you know how we do.

That's how we......roll.....

....eeehhhhh.... srry. [ :-|

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stevek20147 | September 4, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

then faster and faster...

Posted by: frediefritz | September 4, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17
+++++++++++++++++++++++
dammit, now I'm hungry.

Posted by: smurff11 | September 4, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

They have an Avacado Burger at that beer restaurant in Bethesda. Quite good.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 4, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

nate, next time, rub one of the pieces of bread on the ground, or in some dirt. The dirt/small stones will then act as an adhesion for the avocado......

no thanks necessary....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

For this very reason, the powers that be have invented guacamole, that don't slip on your chip...

Buenos dias..

Posted by: ElYeah | September 4, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Keep 2 qbs and free up a roster space - no one is gonna claim Colt or Chase so they'll be available if dissaster strikes, and if they have to play in regular season games it will be a dissaster.

Posted by: coparker5 | September 4, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

That recipe should come with a disclaimer, however:

1. Do not, under any circumstances, start chopping the jalapenos and onions while you have to go to the bathroom.
2. If rule #1 is ignored, wash hands immediately after cutting veggies.
3. If rules #1 and #2 are ignored, than do not, under any circumstances, get distracted by your girlfriend asking you to take out the trash
4. If rules #1 - #3 are ignored, you run the serious risk of a severe burning sensation in the nether regions.
5. If #4 occurs, do not, under any circumstances, attempt to wash said nether regions in the shower, as this will result in a spread of the aforementioned burning sensation.

Dont say you haven't been warned.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 4, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | September 4, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Well I guess a whole lot of NFL teams are messed up. Not to mention MLB, NHL, NBA.

GM typically has final say on the roster Corky. This is not news and you don't have to be a Redskins employee or assume facts to know this.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 4, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 4, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I chopped a bunch of jalepeños then tried to take out my contacts. That was not a good night.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 4, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

This is a guy who needs the baseball equivalent of a year in the minors.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 4, 2009 2:46 PM |

UFL.

Posted by: EncinoMan | September 4, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | September 4, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------------------------------

Hoots mon!

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | September 4, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Does it really matter? I doubt any of these chumps will make a difference. We need a back-up right and left tackle! Cheers

Posted by: MPNangle | September 4, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

How much longer are we waiting? What time tomorrow do they have to announce the roster?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 4, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 4, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------

Considering that I don't find Jalapenos very hot, I was REALLY surprised how much pain I was in.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 4, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

If the one punch against the Boise dude was isolated incident, I could see your point JM220, but the dude went balistic. Watch all the clips. He also took a swing at his own teammate, attacked the crowd and was still fighting those trying to calm him down.

The dude ran his mouth all week long, and than was flat humbled. You yap your mouth that much and the get whupped, guess what someone from the other team is going to trash talk you back. Thats pretty much a given. When you play up at that level you have to have a thicker skin and self control. I'm not sure if I would cut him, but the punishment has to be severe and its irrelevant what the other guy said to him (barring racial insult).

Next topic:

Three O-cord fired this close to season. That is INSANE. Doesn't that sort make the entire off and pre season worthless? Wow it will be interesting to see how these teams start the season.

Three:

Hello Mason, aldridge and doresey...buh bye.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 4, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

"Mike Florio of PFT is reporting the following players have been released, as per an inside source at Redskins Park:
Agnone, E. Williams, D. Dorsey, D. Dutch, M. Mason, K. Eloi, M. Hagans, J. Skolnitsky. More information will be posted when available"

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

"Zorn's comments about M.Williams are a slow-cooked crock pot of you know what.
M.Williams hasn't been able to stay healthy throughout camp/preseason, and has looked ATROCIOUS when he's gotten on the field. What did he show in 50 plays? A dozen different ways to get beat. If losing 100 pounds and limping around a field for 50 plays getting abused is enough to make an NFL roster, then fat untalented dudes everywhere are rejoincing.
Posted by: p1funk"

Well, sort of. Williams is definitely struggling against speed rushers. You couldn't put him out at tackle against any of the NFC East clubs, for just that reason.

I don't see much problem with him as a run blocker.

The Monday Morning QB guys were ragging on Williams this AM for just such sins. They already had the guy boxed for shipping, of course. I think they were surprised to get Doc Walker on the phone assuring them with some confidence that Mike Williams would be just fine.

Walker has no crystal ball, but he knows a blocker when he sees one. Gynormous Mike has such physical tools that it would be a shame to give up on him before time. Might have to do it eventually, of course, if he doesn't come around fast enough.

But come around he will. Maybe not as the star he was drafted to be, but as a formidable NFL lineman.

The problem IMO is stamina, conditioning, and boring old practice. He needs all of them. His progress to date is little short of amazing -- we'd be dumb to give up on the guy now.

So I'm expecting him on the cut list tomorrow...

Posted by: Samson151 | September 4, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

This is probably a different inside source than Brano's inside source. But, wow! This is amazing! Can you post the link?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Next topic:

Posted by: chrislarry | September 4, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------------

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 4, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

You will know the final 53 is out when...

1) You hear a loud parade led by RedDMV - this means MM is on the team.

2) You hear a loud explosion, this is RedDMV's head exploding - Means MM got cut.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 4, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

can't te...sorry, not that technically proficient.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

This ounds like our practice squad, which has to be released 24 hr before hey can be resigned.

By the way, t_e, deadline is 4pm tomorrow.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 4, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"Should this really come as a surprise? Approximately 35% of players are cut in the preseason. Why shouldn't a staffer or two or three get the axe?

Posted by: mattsoundworld"

OK Matt want to highlight another year this has happened? And its not like they were quality control consultants they were the offensive oordinators, suppossedly installing offenses and playbooks since late winter meetings.

But yeah totally normal...

Posted by: chrislarry | September 4, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 3:47 PM

4pm Eastern tomorrow. Some times have already started whacking.

Posted by: dcsween | September 4, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Well, the Blount shabingus is rolling on ESPN. I think they've interviewed everyone in country associated with (1) college football, (2) anger management, (3) University of Oregon, (4) Boise State, (5) NFL draft experts, (6) mixed matial arts, (7) college football coaches, ex- and present, (8) college adminstrators and faculty, and the ultimate authorities (9) media experts.

If you missed it, don't worry. This story has legs. The video's dramatic and it will be around all football season.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

But yeah totally normal...

Posted by: chrislarry | September 4, 2009 4:03 PM

And we get to play two of the three, hoo-hoo!

Posted by: stevek20147 | September 4, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

The PFT thing from Florio is NOT on his website...

Posted by: carocanesfan | September 4, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

The key for Williams is conditioning. He needs it, he doesn't have it. Allegedly his work to get in shape and lose weight was nothing short of heroic. He has plenty of weight room strength; that's not translating on the field yet. ... Gynormous Mike has such physical tools that it would be a shame to give up on him before time. Might have to do it eventually, of course, if he doesn't come around fast enough.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 4, 2009 3:55 PM

If they keep him, I'm thinking its because they want him ready by like Week 8 and, given the course of his diet and re-tooling, plus the effort he's put in to get there, they suspect that he will be ready in that time frame, e.g., developing sufficient muscle mass.

Posted by: dcsween | September 4, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

can't te...sorry, not that technically proficient.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 4, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse
well, that says a lot, doesn't it. :)

Posted by: frediefritz | September 4, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 4, 2009 3:51 PM |

Why wasn't the trash talker wearing his helmet, as was the trash talkee? I guess trash talking resonates better if delivered helmetless.

Posted by: EncinoMan | September 4, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

The PFT thing from Florio is NOT on his website...

Posted by: carocanesfan | September 4, 2009 4:07 PM

I didn't even check. Greg has a history of false PFT reporting. The only link he can get to from work is WaPo.

Also, beep beep.

Posted by: dcsween | September 4, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

David Aldridge (a very good sports reporter IMO) on being a Redskins fan in Snyder era

(note: not looking to spark name debate, thats David's take.)

Love the last line:

Posted by: chrislarry | September 4, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: frediefritz | September 4, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

The PFT thing from Florio is NOT on his website...

Posted by: carocanesfan | September 4, 2009 4:07 PM

I think he calls greg before posting. Greg's a PFT Insider.

Look, whenever anybody posts something like "PFT has a good story up about the cuts" Greg immediately writes "Could someone paste it up? I can't access PFT at work."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 4, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I think Boz has just beaten JLC all hallow in this latest criticism of Snidley Owl.

You may not agree Boz but I would be happy if the day came where they announced that a second-time bankrupt Snyder sold the team to the Lerners.

I'll take the old Wheaton Plaza magnates to that sorry excuse and Rockville geek.

Posted by: periculum | September 4, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

just got to believe that the difference #3 RB will make will be minimal compared to the OL imploding every week. You could make a case for any of AA, DD, MM, but i just can't believe the diff vs LB is going to be major. Whereas if JC is on his arse 50% of every game the new dawn of the Fun Bunch won't mean jack

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | September 4, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

So I'm expecting him on the cut list tomorrow...

Posted by: Samson151 | September 4, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Haha, that would be a Skins move. I 100% agree with you on big mike. People think he needs to be ready to play now but he doesn't. He's the last guy on the depth chart and should be ready by midseason. He needs to work on his footwork and his hand placement. These are mechanical issues that can be fixed in practice. If this guy can offer even mediocre pass protection then he'll be a great pickup in the second half. He's a good run blocker and what do we do at the end of the season when it gets cold? We run the damned ball. Replacing him for someone just a little better right now with zero upside makes no sense.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 4, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween

Well put. No would would chide the lad if he'd done an Irish jig on bin Laden, either, just as no one would be upset if Mr. Potter had sued Bernie Madoff instead of Redskin fans hit by the recession.

Posted by: TheCork | September 4, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse