Redskins players react to story linking teammate to doctor's drug bust

By now you've no doubt heard that a Redskins player is implicated in
the drug bust of a Canadian doctor who's charged with treating NFL players with illegal drugs.

The league says it doesn't know the names of the players involved, and the Redskins aren't commenting. Yet, we know a Redskin player is one of the three NFL players singled out in a criminal complaint. The safe guess is, the exact name will come out in time. But until then, the unfortunate part of the story is that many on the Redskins' roster
will be bandied about in an amateur-hour speculation game.

"Do I think certain people have done things? I don't know."

Until the name does come out, expect the speculation to continue. While it's certainly not fair to most members of the roster, there's one player on the roster who apparently admitted to federal investigators that he received treatments from Dr. Anthony Galea.

Though the league doesn't test for human growth hormone, that player could still be subject to punishment once his name surfaces.

Until then, there are plenty of other players on the roster who want nothing to do with the report, and who've done nothing to earn the speculation that might be surrounding their names.

It's one of the downsides of the drug culture surrounding 21st-century sports: Guilt by speculation carries far more weight than guilt by association.

By Rick Maese  |  May 19, 2010; 8:54 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chris Cooley turns spotlight over to his mom and fight against breast cancer
Next: Redskins, Doug Williams reportedly discuss front-office position

Comments

Yes, I do suspect the name will come out in time...

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | May 19, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

First..I'm so cool

Posted by: VaTerp1 | May 19, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

damn it

Posted by: VaTerp1 | May 19, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

"When someone brings up a rational argument that DWARFS your sh*t, you 1) condescend, then 2) insult them. I guess it makes you feel better about yourself in doing so, makes you feel that you won the argument."

New RI Lingo to consolodate this...

What? You just gonna give me the Lavar treatment?

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 19, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

First..I'm so cool

Posted by: VaTerp1 | May 19, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

**************

Negative ghost rider, the pattern is full

Posted by: rickmort | May 19, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Sorry...

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | May 19, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

How about saying 'No Comment'???

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 19, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

New RI Lingo to consolodate this...

What? You just gonna give me the Lavar treatment?

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 19, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse
__________________________________
Fully knowing the risks, I prefer:
Red's off his Meds.

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | May 19, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Could it be one of the players who has already been released?

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 19, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I strongly disagree with Maese's closing statement that "Guilt by speculation carries far more weight than guilt by association."

I am not even sure what he means by this. Who cares if a bunch of bloggers are "Speculating" on who the player may be. That speculation will do nothing in terms of a suspension or damaging a players reputation.

Now, when you are deeply tied to a Dr. or trainer who is a known pusher, then that "Association" can be quite damaging. I'd argue that there is rarely speculation WITHOUT association.

His argument seems very misguided to me.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | May 19, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

It was Springs!!!

Posted by: chicoexcell | May 19, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Either Marcus Mason, or Robert McCune....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 19, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

My money's on Rock Cartwright.

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 19, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

First to say it was laron landry

Posted by: GreatOne1 | May 19, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Try and talk cool much in this article?

amateur-hour...

Guilt by speculation carries far more weight than guilt by association.

Rick "hip speak" Maese

Posted by: alex35332 | May 19, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Either Marcus Mason, or Robert McCune....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 19, 2010 10:18 AM

Marko Mitchell...

Book it!

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 19, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I like what we saw in that blog post from yesterday that some dude put up here. The guilty parties will be Tom Brady and Santana Moss.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 19, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

It was Zorn!!!

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | May 19, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

First to say it was laron landry

Posted by: GreatOne1 | May 19, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

second!

Posted by: supattapone | May 19, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

"I'm not surprised by anything," Redskins' fullback Mike Sellers said Tuesday. "I was reading some of the blogs and some people tried tying me into it. I was like, 'Come on.' It is what it is. The truth will come out."---RI

Hey a shout out to some of you fine amateur Journalists here from Big Mike. Why doncha go introduce yourselves to him sometime. Bring ice.

Posted by: TheCork | May 19, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Neiamiah Broughton.....BOOKED

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 19, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Steroid talk in football = Spygate

Who cares...how about discussing, oh I don't know, OTAs?

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 19, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 19, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Okay, I HATE to pl;ay the speculation game, but mine is based on actual inside sources.....

Sid Paddlebean.

Posted by: TheCork | May 19, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I think Casey James is going to get voted off of American Idol tonight.

Crystal Bowersox wins. BOOK IT!

And that's my American Idol update for the day.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 19, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Sorry i missed the HGH story... couldnt read all the comments about speculation... but I can connect some of the dots... since i know you all cant wait for my theory on thsi and UNI's

Older player
Injured
Using it for strength

I would say P Daniels and here is why.

he is a burgeoning power lifter (what, presses 800?). Also on elliot in the morning last year, a caller called in talking about a skins player they lived next too who would abuse his HS son. She never said who. But that there was speculation of him getting the axe from the team but did not, and they, as his neighbors, were disappointed since they had issues with him.

P Daniels was brought back each of the last two years after spec he would be gone

P Daniels son is going to college as a WR. Now I know he plays in IL, and the caller did not say whether it was during the season or if his kid is around in the summer.... but who else on the skins would have that old of a son?

Also, roid rage could lead to beating your kid.

Now as a disclaimer, I love P daniels and would be crushed if it was him.

But with some of the comments from the original thread where you all pointed out PD's being injured, and all other clues, sadly, it may be him.

But when you think about it, better him than Tana or another player we really rely on...

Posted by: Zeebs1 | May 19, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

@ Cork:

I always wondered about Sid.

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | May 19, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty |

Do you even READ this blog? After the paid guy writes, there's speculation without association, representation, dissociation or even a thread of sanity.

That's why we read this stuff. We're addicts,

Posted by: TheCork | May 19, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

JohnWallJohnWallJohnWallJohnWallJohnWallJohnWallJohnWallJohnWallJohnWallJohnWallJohnWall!!!!!!

Sorry, just had to get that out of my system.

Posted by: psps23 | May 19, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Wow... Just watched that NFL live bit on Stomps... If he can hear Bruschi, a man who risked his life to play some more football say he's starting to doubt whether or not he loves the game and still not get his fat can in camp then I think we should trade him somewhere nasty for whatever we can get... that sorry sack of sh!t.

Posted by: JHvet1 | May 19, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | May 19, 2010 10:46 AM

Even if they can't move Gilbert Arenas?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 19, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Whatever, brown. Backtrack a tad and clean up your stance to your heart's content.

If we were talking about the NFL, and opinions differed, guess what? We're still two "fellow slappies on a NFL blog". But you never felt a need to make that denotation before, have you? But have your opinion challenged on something you may not be familiar with as, let's say, basketball, then it's "What the fu_k do I, you or any of us know, 'cause we're two slappies on a NFL blog".

Got it.

We're done here... no need to further continue this discussion between two "fellow slappies on a NFL blog". Because since we have no earthly idea what we're talking about any further discussion on ANY matter, whether basketball or football is moot.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Sometimes I am confliced about people b****ing about roids. We don't see much complaining about the artists and musicians and their rampant Pot and LSD use, and how that has helped them make better songs and art. We can't complain about scientists that take pills that allow them to concentrate better.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 19, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

If he can hear Bruschi, a man who risked his life to play some more football

categorically incorrect, there Blumenthal.....he wasn't risking his life, the pats, nor the NFL would have let him SNIFF a field if he was.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 19, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

"Also, roid rage could lead to beating your kid."

It wasn't 'roids, it was HGH. There's a massive difference. You don't get boosted aggression and testosterone levels from HGH. HGH isn't really a health concern (at least for most people), it's a "performance enhancer" in the purest sense of the term.

Posted by: psps23 | May 19, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

" ... amateur-hour speculation game ..."

Think about the guys you would LEAST like to hear about being Player A:

1. Orakpo
2. Fletcher
3. Dockery
4. McNabb

Anybody else? Meh ... under the bus they go. Protective shield around those four.

Posted by: dcsween | May 19, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards are better off taking a big man. John Wall is not all that.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 19, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Oh.. and my money's on Landry

Posted by: JHvet1 | May 19, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

psps;

i understand that, but if you are linked to HGH, is a cycle of roids in there that much of a reach.

but i agree. plenty of people beat their kids without being on roids.

but there are some dots to connect there, so i did. in my 'professional' opinion ;)

Posted by: Zeebs1 | May 19, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

HGH is primarily used to help rehab from an injury right?

Posted by: CheyenneWY | May 19, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | May 19, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Completely different

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 19, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards are better off taking a big man. John Wall is not all that.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 19, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Neither are any of the PFs or Cs in the draft, it would be a huge stretch to draft anyone other than Wall or Turner at 1.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 19, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Hey CynicalFan, don't you have some anti-breast awareness rally to attend?

Go bang your "Where is my OTA updates" drum there.

Even though they just started Monday.

Even though they stretching and running around in shorts and pads.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Ethan Albright!

I got a million dollars on it!

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 19, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

All three of the anonymous players in named in the criminal complaint are going to get slapped and hard by the League, esp. if its anyone with Cushing-like performance. As part of the CBA, the League is going to use this as a basis to demand blood testing for PEDs, including HGH. In the end, Jansen wins.

Posted by: dcsween | May 19, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

LH, absolutely. Arenas is no longer the caliber player you turn down prospects for. Move Arenas to the 2, let Wall be the face of the franchise. That is, of course, if we can't move Arenas in the first place.

Posted by: psps23 | May 19, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Hey, we dont come here for updates. We come here for speculation.

And if you want OTA's and live in the area, CSN has a show called Redskins Nation on at 6 pm. Only cameras there. Although Larry Michael is the hist, still good info

Posted by: Zeebs1 | May 19, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Assuming it is not Springs, maybe the Skins should consider bringing Spring back as safety and emergency corner...

Posted by: iseyij | May 19, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards are better off taking a big man. John Wall is not all that.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 19, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8

Glad the Wizards got lucky and pick first, but why not simply use the won/loss record to determine draft order? Also, any chance they draft Wall and then trade him for a couple established players? The Bullets, (I hate Wizards) need much more than another PG IMO.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | May 19, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

lh, that's what I'm saying also. If they can't move Arenas, then how exactly are the Wizards any different in years past with the addition of John Wall?

Arenas plays like a two but will get DOMINATED by real two's in the NBA. He lacks height and defense to play the two.

Wall isn't anything else but a PG, there isn't an option in moving him.

Moving Arenas will be "A.I. at the two" 2.0.

It won't work.

Then what are they going to do?

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

My money is on Cooley.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | May 19, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Hey Red-

My sister is a survivor.

Here's a more appropriate site where you can find discussions which will be on the topic you find so dear.

I choose to ask about Redskins OTAs on a Redskins blog.

Seems reasonable and appropriate to me.

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | May 19, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Cheyenne, from what I've read, HGH is primarily a healing tool used by older people (by that I mean older than around 30 or so). Your levels of HGH are naturally very high when you're in your 20s, but diminish over time. But I believe it's mostly used for recovery (then again, so are steroids).

Posted by: psps23 | May 19, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

anti-breast awareness...

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 10:55 AM

this is funny, typo or not. F breasts, haha.

Posted by: terrapin3 | May 19, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Red,

Arenas is 28 and hasn't played much basketball in the past 3 yrs. As much as I am a fan, I don't think it's time to build a team around Gil any longer.

I'm also not convinced Gil would be a complete failure at the 2. He struggles more when he's worried about getting other guys the ball, compared to when he is focused on scoring.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 19, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I choose to ask about Redskins OTAs on a Redskins blog.

Seems reasonable and appropriate to me.

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | May 19, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Which is exactly why the blog locals are so offended. Reasonable and appropriate comments here affect these idiots like Mary Hart's voice does Kramer.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | May 19, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

If the Wiz were to take a guard Evan Turner is your best bet.He was a big deal in my hometown, he played in Raleigh. I'm telling ya'll he's talented but you do not want him playing for the Wizards.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 19, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

"Then what are they going to do?

Posted by: RedDMV"

Forget Arenas. He'll be on the team simply because there's no other option.

The Wizards are poisoned from the heart with their current makeup. The locker room, mentality, and team psyche is irreparable at this point. Drafting John Wall is nothing more than the beginning of a Washington Capitals-style makeover with Leonsis. It doesn't matter who you draft, the Wizards aren't winning anything in the next two-three years. So forget about how Wall fits in with the current roster. He won't be playing with them for very long anyway.

Posted by: psps23 | May 19, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Count on Ernie Grunfeld F'ing this up.

I'll bet Red's mamma's favorite church hat that he trades out of the pick.

The man is afraid of success. He excels at building teams that are not quite good enough.

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 19, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Portis?

Posted by: CheyenneWY | May 19, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

A good place for NBA and Wizards discussions.

Power rankings = NBA (especially Wizards) discussions on Redskins blog.

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | May 19, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

No..bump Albright...

It's Byron Westbrook....

Doubling my bet to $2 Mil..

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 19, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

fwiw, i saw a couple boards with Derrick Favors and Wesley Johnson over Turner.

Posted by: terrapin3 | May 19, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Count on Ernie Grunfeld F'ing this up.

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 19, 2010 11:11 AM

only reason i'm not co-signing is i hope Leonsis fires Grunfeld's a**.

Posted by: terrapin3 | May 19, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

From the Boston Herald, Springs failed a physical:

Springs failed a physical recently, I’ve confirmed.

The former No. 3 overall pick in 1997 battled a knee injury all year, one that prevented him from ever being full speed. He was a mainstay on the injury report, though he did battle through it and play.

Now, it seems his health contributed to the end of his short tenure in New England. Was it the only reason? No. Just 39 tackles and one interception for $4.55 million didn’t help. Springs was good in the locker room, always tutoring the young guys and never speaking up about not playing.

But failing a physical didn’t help.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 19, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

psps, ppstr8, if they're going to blow up the roster (really ain't much to blow up with all the expired contracts they had) then that's the only way I can see Wall here and it actually working.

I'm cool with either Wall or Turner. Just hope they don't trade out of the pick, or Grunfeld gives his patented "we're exploring all our options" line.

o_e, if they do anything but draft Wall or Turner then I'm burning Moms church hat.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

only reason i'm not co-signing is i hope Leonsis fires Grunfeld's a**.

Posted by: terrapin3 | May 19, 2010 11:16 AM

He's already retained Him and Flip....

Now...begin to cosign...I'm taking wait-n-see approach...

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 19, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | May 19, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, there are other Redskins blogs too.

Trying to change a conversation without posting something to discuss = pointless.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 19, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

psps, Gil cannot play off the ball like Allen Iverson for instance. Turner, who is also a great prospect, helps the Wiz immediately. He can play PG, SG, and SF well.

Winning the lottery was the worst thing that could have happened to the Wizards this year because the "can't miss" plays a position they don't need to fill.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 19, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Agree to disagree Red...apparently you get your jollies off the whole "Mad Rapper" routine, so we'll save it for something Redskins related.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 19, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Now...begin to cosign...I'm taking wait-n-see approach...

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 19, 2010 11:21 AM

Saunders i'd give the benefit of the doubt for the moment, but retaining Grunfeld? yeesh.

i didn't like that Arenas contract even before be blew his knee. handled the recent contract dumps/trades ok, though.

Posted by: terrapin3 | May 19, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Doug Williams beeps.

Posted by: terrapin3 | May 19, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

... I choose to ask about Redskins OTAs on a Redskins blog.

Seems reasonable and appropriate to me.

Posted by: CynicalFan1 | May 19, 2010 11:02 AM

Yes but the way you did it seemed dikish and insensitive to others.

Posted by: mack1 | May 19, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

^^ The roster is already blown up...WTF are y'all talkin about????

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 19, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

CynicalFan, if what is posted here, whether it be the thread itself or the comments sting your vagina that bad, then why don't you just bounce, and come back when the discussion is more to your liking?

If it's the threads that bother you so much, here's an idea:

Right above the "Redskins Insider" banner with Jason Reid's mug on it, there is a link that says: " E-mail Jason with comments, ideas and questions". Click it and send Reid an email on how much it chaps your ass that you can't get OTA updates. He's eagerly waiting to read your concerns on this pressing issue.

If it's the commentators comments that have you depressed, then I don't know what to tell ya. It's the offseason, this is what we do.

Either way, get over it. If OTA updates are that much of a need for you, then find out if you can Podcast 'Redskins Nation'.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

pfunk should love this entry from PFT:

Daniels says comments on Haynesworth were "twisted"
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 19, 2010 11:07 AM ET
A few days after being quoted in the Washington Post as saying teammate Albert Haynesworth should be participating in voluntary workouts, Redskins defensive lineman Phillip Daniels took to a message board to claim that his quote was "twisted."

"Articles tend to leave things out and when you talk general stuff sometimes it comes out a different way," Daniels wrote at ExtremeSkins.com. "I am not upset with Albert at all but the whole team would love for him to be here with us getting ready to win a championship. When a reporter asks a question, we answer it but sometimes that answer is twisted in so many ways. None of the good stuff you say ever comes out in the article. They chop your words as they see fit and in the best way to sell papers or go public."

Daniels was quoted by Mike Wise of the Washington Post as saying of Haynesworth, "He should definitely be here. And it's a shame he's not." Daniels doesn't deny saying that, but he seems to be suggesting that Wise portrayed him as more critical of Haynesworth than he really was.

There might be some truth to that: As I noted when I linked to the column last week, Wise wrote that other players on the Redskins think Haynesworth is a bad teammate, but Wise didn't actually quote any Redskins saying Haynesworth is a bad teammate.

Oddly, even though our post on the subject specifically pointed out that neither Daniels nor any other Redskins were quoted as calling Haynesworth a bad teammate, Matt Terl of Redskins.com suggests in his write-up of Daniels' comments that PFT was somehow responsible for twisting Daniels' quotes.

Any fair-minded person who reads the original Washington Post report and then our post following up on that report would agree that we in no way twisted Daniels' words. Perhaps Terl's place on the Redskins' payroll prevents him from being a fair-minded person when it comes to assessing our coverage of the Redskins.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 19, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

It would have been Leigh Torrence but doctors use HIM as an HGH supply.

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 19, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 19, 2010 11:24 AM

Cosign! I was glad we moved up...but as we approached the final 2 I was hoping we get #2...PRAYING ALMOST....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 19, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

and HGH is used by athletes regardless of injury, btw... So it could be any of them and probably a lot of them do since they don't test for it.

Posted by: JHvet1 | May 19, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Anyone think it's possible that the Redskin in question isn't a player? Is it just possible that maybe a certain short little guy needed HGH? Maybe someone with a Napoleon complex? Maybe someone tired of being called a dwarf? A midget? Maybe someone who only comes up to Tom Cruise's armpits (and likes the smell)?

HGH don't cure stupid, Danny.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | May 19, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I still think its Carlos - he came back real fast from a nasty knee injury

Posted by: coparker5 | May 19, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

It's Vinny Cerrato! Book it! LOL! His bug eyes are a dead give away LOL!

Posted by: datruth21 | May 19, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse