Redskins' Problems, Submitted Without Comment

Late Sunday afternoon, as the Washington Redskins hurried to dress in the visitors' locker room at Ford Field after an embarrassing 19-14 loss to the Detroit Lions that ended the Lions' losing streak at 19 games, I approached Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, before he boarded the team bus to the airport.

As soon as we made eye contact, Cerrato said, "No comment." It was the first time in 20 years as a journalist someone declined to answer a question before I even had the opportunity to ask one.

But I really can't blame Cerrato.

I expect the heat around the Redskins -- from the front office to the coaching staff to the players -- to reach a boiling-point this week.

Albert Haynesworth and DeAngelo Hall have not provided the boost promised by their offseason deals -- $41 million guaranteed and $23 million guaranteed, respectively. Without a doubt, they have made plays in the first three games for Washington (1-2), but they also are among the most undisciplined members of a defense that has been uncharacteristically undisciplined.

Whether it's Haynesworth jumping offside or failing to maintain his gap responsibility, or Hall playing the wrong technique in a certain play call, they have struggled. The successful scheme defensive coordinator Greg Blache and his predecessor, Gregg Williams, brought to Washington is predicated on discipline: Perform your assignment, play sound fundamentally and things are proven to work.

As I've written previously, I knew Blache would have to make some concessions for Haynesworth, who became a Pro Bowl performer, in part, by freelancing in pursuit of the ball. But Blache is an old-school, no-nonsense coach, and there's way too much nonsense occurring with the Redskins' defense. I watch replays of the game, and trust me, there are too many things occurring out there that should not occur with such a high-priced veteran group.

Reading between the lines in some of Blache's comments, I get the sense he's extremely frustrated with what he's seeing. But there's only so much Blache, or any of the coaches, can do. I mean, everyone knew the scouting reports on Haynesworth and Hall before the Redskins gave them those huge contracts in the offseason.

And to be fair, it's not just Haynesworth and Hall. When a defense performs as poorly as the Redskins did on third down in the first half against the Lions (Detroit converted 9 of 12), there's plenty of blame to go around. Through two games, the Lions were last in the league with a 29.6-percent conversion rate on third down.

Blache is all about detail. He is as prepared as any defensive coordinator in the league, and he puts players in position to perform their jobs well.

Against Detroit, the Redskins twice were burned for long gains on misdirection pitches in the running game. I'm not allowed to attend most of practice, but I have no doubt the Redskins worked on that play last week. Again, it comes down to discipline, which the Redskins lack defensively at the moment.

As for the offensive line, well, where do I start on that one? In the offseason, the Redskins knew they were extremely thin along the line. In their internal self-evaluation of the 2008 season, they determined the physical breakdown of the line late in the season was the main reason for the 2-6 collapse, and that allowed the same glaring deficiencies on the line. I'm reminded of that each time I see another defensive end race past right tackle Stephon Heyer, which has happened way too much. Second-year guard Chad "The Rhino" Rinehart played and started Sunday for the first time in his career in place of Randy Thomas, who was lost for the season with a triceps injury. We'll see how Rinehart works out.

Everyone in the organization knew Thomas wouldn't make it through the season. He had neck and knee surgeries in the offseason, and it was only a matter of time before he went on the season-ending injured reserve list. The Redskins, however, couldn't have released him because it would have been a $9.6 million cap hit. But the Redskins often find themselves in bad cap situations like that because they continue to renegotiate contracts for a title run that has never occurred.

The Redskins brought back guard Derrick Dockery to replace Pete Kendall and released longtime right tackle Jon Jansen. Those were his two big moves to address the team's biggest area of concern. What are Redskins going to do if Heyer continues to struggle? Backup tackle Mike Williams hasn't played in a regular-season game since the 2005 season.

I know a lot of fans believe quarterback Jason Campbell is the problem, but Campbell is nowhere near the team's biggest problem, people I trust in the organization tell me. Is Campbell the best quarterback in the NFL? No. But Campbell almost has to play perfectly in every game because the Redskins don't have enough talent to overcome all of the mistakes being made elsewhere and the deficiencies of the roster.

Three Redskins fans came over to our table last night in Detroit while Rick Maese and I ate dinner. They noticed me from my picture on this space and Maese from his work on Washington Post Live With Ivan Carter on Comcast SportsNet.

Troy, "Webby" and John were really upset about the loss to the Lions and down overall about the state of the franchise. They talked about the negative perception of the team they've encountered while traveling to road games.

Mostly, though, they just wanted some answers. Answers about the same shortcomings they see in the team year after year. Unfortunately, we couldn't do much to help them.

By Jason Reid  |  September 28, 2009; 11:13 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: So Far, a Typical Monday in Ashburn
Next: Cooley Gives Zorn a Vote of Confidence

Comments

PORTIS DECLARES HIMSELF UNAVAILABLE FOR PRACTICE

ASHBURN, VA – Washington Redskins running back said this morning that he was so fatigued from just watching his other teammates practice last week, that he couldn’t summon the energy to play effectively in a Sunday afternoon loss to former league doormat Detroit.

When asked who then was wearing his uniform during the embarrassing loss to the Lions, Portis said: “Yeah, I was there, but that wasn’t me.”

Portis said that watching his teammates running around at practice and trying to get their timing and rhythm down left him feeling winded and tired.

“All that standing around during the practice sessions left my ankles feeling pretty sore too,” he said.
Portis has therefore made himself unavailable this week’s practices, and he won’t even bother to attend any team meetings in preparation for next Sunday’s home game against Tampa Bay.

Said the star running back, “I don’t want to take any chances this week. So I’ll see ya on Sunday. But you should only plan on having me play for part of the 3rd Quarter.”

Posted by: Vic1 | September 28, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

riggo44

Such a poet.

Posted by: will_ga | September 28, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

SNYDER FINDS ANOTHER WAY TO PROFIT FROM FAN MISERY

ASHBURN, VA -- The word from Redskin Park this morning is that Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder is set to unveil a new line of Redskin apparel -- starting with a maroon golf shirt emblazoned with "FIRE ZORN" in big black letters.

The shirts will be available from Tuesday for $75 each from Redskin fan apparel outlets.

While Snyder is said to have no intention of firing Zorn despite the miserable (1-2) start of the season, the team owner allegedly figures that millions of angry fans -- combined with an expected season-long series of painful and embarrassing team loses -- will boost sales of the shirts to record levels.

Redskin Insiders also noted that Snyder expects to make at least $74 in profits from each sale.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 28, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Watching Greg Blanche's post-game interview on CSN yesterday, my first thought is that he is already thinking about his retirement. The man had no fire in him. Just kept saying that the Lions were a much better team this year than the media had been giving them credit for.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 28, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

But I really can't blame Cerrato.

By Jason Reid | September 28, 2009; 11:13 AM ET

-----------

Really?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 28, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I called the game. I said there was no way the Redskins could beat the Lions...

Do you guys all realize I know my stuff now?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 28, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I hear that during the Halloween we will see Jim Zorn dress up as an unemployed head coach.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 28, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | September 28, 2009; 11:13 AM ET

----------

Sounds good.

What was the main course?

Cheeseburgers?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 28, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

But I really can't blame Cerrato.

By Jason Reid | September 28, 2009; 11:13 AM ET

-----------

Really?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 28, 2009 11:30 AM

Exactly... man up Vinny!

Jason Reid kissing Vinny's ass like its a ripe cherry tomato!

Don't let him off the hook with a "no comment"... get some damn answers!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 28, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Zorn seemed pretty beaten in his post game interview. Maybe a different game plan. Lets try physical hard working football. Maybe blitz on third down and mix up the run and pass plays some.

Posted by: funbot | September 28, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Vic - thats enough. We get it. Its not that funny anyway, it doesn't need to be posted every single time.

Our only hope is an uncapped 2010 where we can dump all the fat and sign decent FAs to front-loaded contracts.

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 28, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

The relationship between Tom Cruise and Dan Snyder also raises eyebrows, obviously.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 28, 2009 11:26 AM |
------------------------

I agree. If he was going to have a film star as a buddy, why couldn't it be someone cool like Christopher Walken?

A guy who delivers lines like, "You're talking to my guy all wrong. Do that again, and I'm going to stab you in the face with a soldering iron."

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 28, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Do you guys all realize I know my stuff now?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 28, 2009 11:30 AM

----------

Wow!

What a garden variety genius if there ever was one.

WTF are you doing bragging up here, anyway?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 28, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I bet Hall is talking about Landry, I cant stand to see that joker make a tackle. He comes in makes a tackle on somebody's ankles and then jumps up and stares them down like he just did something. Then he stays taking the wrong angles and whiffing on potential big hits.

I say move Landry back to SS and put Kareem Moore at FS. Let horton play SLB on some downs.

I dont understand how you cant come up with a creative play call on defense or offense.

I mean you have orakpo, wilson, jarmon, and carter. why dont we see all of these people on the field at one time. I mean you could have carter at jarmon at the DE's and Orakpo and Wilson as stand up blitzing LB's. I mean that is a pass rush. We always run this generic defense, where is the blitzing,and confusion

Posted by: GreatOne1 | September 28, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Do you guys all realize I know my stuff now?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 28, 2009 11:30 AM

----------

Wow!

What a garden variety genius if there ever was one.

WTF are you doing bragging up here, anyway?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 28, 2009 11:35 AM

Umm... because I roxxorz.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 28, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Jon Gruden is an experienced west coaster & and offensive coordinator. He looks at match-ups & is kinda INTENSE. Could keep the same offense, play call and light a fire under some asses. The next 100 mil. free agent we should pick up is Bill Polin.

Posted by: boysheadcoach | September 28, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

FIRE CERRATO
HIRE PARCELLS

Posted by: jj44skins | September 28, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I like the idea of Walkin hanging out.

"There is a fire in my hart and its calling for more O line. "

But lets face it Tom is there because his most famous line in his film career exemplifies the team philosophy.

" Show me the money."

Posted by: alex35332 | September 28, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 28, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I called the game. I said there was no way the Redskins could beat the Lions...

Do you guys all realize I know my stuff now?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 28, 2009 11:30 AM

You're still a phukin' idiot. You said the same thing about the Rams game you jacka$$. You guessed and finally got one right.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Where is LaRon Landry? I thought he was a premier safety. Not so much. Seems like the only time I see him on the TV screen, he's whiffing on a tackle or picking up a personal foul.

Wouldn't mind Adrian Peterson taking 20-25 handoffs a game rather than having a no-impact safety 25 yards off the line of scrimmage.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | September 28, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

FIRE CERRATO
HIRE PARCELLS

Posted by: jj44skins |

Parcells has a job.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 28, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

As I said... its time to leave this team... let them fail and suffer until DANNY BOY realizes were serious... stop buying stuff... stop going to games and stop talking about them... until we hurt danny he will never help us by producing a good football team.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | September 28, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

If Zorn is fired, mid-season, is there really any liklihood that Gruden, Cowher, Shanahan or Holmgren would accept a job as an interim replacement?

Doubt it.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 28, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise is bad mojo. If I'd had known he was there pre or during the game...I would ave drank even more....Suri wears skins underoos?!?!?1 All hope is lost.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 28, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

No one should be blaming the defense.

That 99-yd drive is on the coach. The D stopped the drive. The HC gave Detroit another chance. At the end of the day, the Lions only scored 19 pts. The O can't score in first half or tally 20 pts in a whole game against the Lions.

These two plays say it all for me:

1) Stafford's touchdown to Johnson. CR22 stays with Johnson and has pretty good inside technique. Stafford throws it up to Johnson's outside shoulder allowing receiver to jump up and make a play. Los can't reach back to affect pass.

2) 1st and 9 - Campbell's "fade" to Kelly. JC has no touch and Kelly has no chance to make play over DB.

And look at the season stats for the offense and defense (as represented by opponents' offensive production).

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 28, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Do you guys all realize I know my stuff now?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 28, 2009 11:30 AM

----------

Wow!

What a garden variety genius if there ever was one.

WTF are you doing bragging up here, anyway?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 28, 2009 11:35 AM

Umm... because I roxxorz.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 28, 2009 11:36

True. I was off by 3 points there.

Face it, I know my shizzit.

Now, we can get on with the rest of the discussion.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 28, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Can't hire Gruden if you wanted to mid season. Isn't he working a booth or a game show? They have a contract with him and I think you cant just jump out of it.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 28, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Hall is just talking about Landry though. There are guys on the team who do way too much talking during the game.

Moss has great athletic ability, but I'm tired of the chest thumping and ball spinning after every catch.

I'd prefer to have a WR like Art Monk who just excelled and didn't feel the need to let everyone know about it after every play.

Maybe guys like that don't exist anymore in contemporary NFL culture.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 28, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

TO SPORTS GURU:

PARCELLS CAN OPT OUT OF HIS CONTRACT NEXT YR
CHECK IT OUT IT IS TRUE
GET HIM IN HERE

Posted by: jj44skins | September 28, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, okay, Sports_Guru

Intermittently post a fusillade of inane comments, lay low and wait until you can be proven "right" about how the Redskins suck, and then come up here and brag.

Jeeesh!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 28, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I called the game. I said there was no way the Redskins could beat the Lions...

Do you guys all realize I know my stuff now?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 28, 2009 11:30 AM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2009 11:39

Meant to quote scamp on the shizzit post above

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 28, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Parcells has a job.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 28, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Like that's ever mattered before. Parcells leaves for a new job every 2 years seems like...

Posted by: mattylight | September 28, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Face it, I know my shizzit.

Now, we can get on with the rest of the discussion.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 28, 2009 11:41 AM

You can't find your a$$ with both hands. If you say, "there's no way we can win," with this team you're right 50% of the time. That doesn't make you a genius.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

It's only a matter of time before fans start taking matters into their own hands. Expect to hear a lot more boos, see a lot more "Fire Vinny" and "Danny Boy must go" signs, and a very angry fan base in general at FedEx this coming Sunday.

If they lose to the Bucs I expect things to get really really bad. This season represents the culmination of bad management, the whole house is about to crumble if they can't make a complete 180. Soon enough Danny boy will have angry fans at the gates of Redskins Park, and I know I'll be more than willing to make the 2 hour trip down there to make my voice heard.

Posted by: umdhick | September 28, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

(Mike Shanahan.)

And we're kidding about the stuff in parentheses. Until January, that is.

Posted by: MrRedskin21

You should keep kidding. Mike Shanahan is not an NFC East coach but an AFC Guru fading fast. I don’t want 290 pound linemen running stretch plays in the mud in December in the Meadowlands.

The trouble isn’t who the next coach should be, anyway, it’s the guy deciding who the next coach should be. Until THAT problem is resolved, the coaching one never will.

Posted by: TheCork | September 28, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

jj44skins,

Crazier things have happened.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 28, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Remember when it was widely anticipated that Gregg Williams would be our next head coach. Yeah, those were the days....

Posted by: LouLewis | September 28, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | September 28, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

He's working Monday Night Football but he can leave that anytime. Doesn't matter though, the only way we fire Zorn is if he loses 2 of the next 3. If we are 2-4 or worse it could happen.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 28, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to know who D Hall is referring to when he says there are guys on this team that think they're superstars without accomplishing anything...

Posted by: bhoang888 |

Someone should just give him a mirror.

Posted by: TheCork | September 28, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Curious who else is playing the Post's Pro-Pick league? How are people doing so far? I just checked and am ranked 81 out of 1,306 with 70% correct picks so far.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 28, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Another answer came to me in a dream last night:

AL SAUNDERS!!!! Currently offensive consultant for the Baltimore Ravens (top rated offense).

He can head coach, call plays, and coach the QB. Added bonus - JC knows about 20% of the 700 page playbook.

Posted by: RITCA | September 28, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | September 28, 2009 11:43 AM |

Cork we don;t agree often but I agree on this, hire a GM and let him hire the coach.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 28, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Face it, I know my shizzit.

Now, we can get on with the rest of the discussion.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 28, 2009 11:41 AM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2009 11:43

I also predicted that Michael Strahan would star in a Fox comedy called "Brothers", and that his tooth gap would be the central comedic element....

Coincidence? I think not!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 28, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Guys Parcells is not the answer either. He'd be a huge improvement over Cerrato, but the game has passed him by I think. He accomplished nothing significant in Dallas and left them with an aging O-line with diminishing skills and a suspect defense (sound familiar?). Too early to see what he'll accomplish in Miami, but it's starting to look like last year was a fluke based on a gimmick offense.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | September 28, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

When watching the game esterday...I did not notice Heyer doing a bad job. He was letting the DEs run up field.

And Rhino performed well for his 1st start.

Let me know if I am missing something because I don't know where that's coming from....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 28, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Alex, I'm at 68% - two horrid weeks the last two...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 28, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

JC played a good game. But without help from others on offense including coaches and a defense that forgot how to tackle it's going to be a long season.

Posted by: classicskins | September 28, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

When you lose a game like this, everybody deserves blame.

The defense was just awful, especially in the first half. They continue to play a style that is short on attacking and long on reacting. Blech.

Seems like Zorn felt the pressure of all the no TD talk when he went for it on 4th and one. Though I think a team should expect to get a yard against Detroit when they really need it, it's just the first drive of the game; first quarter. Take the points.

I doubt Snyder will fire Zorn before the end of the season, but anything is possible. It seems he would have the support of the majority of fans here on this site anyways if he cut ties with Zorn now.

I'm curious now what will happen this coming week when the Redskins come out of the tunnel at Fed Ex. Will they boo? If they booed them off the field after the Rams, how can't they boo them on with that debacle last week (when they didn't get the chance to show 'em how they feel)?

Zorn needs to find a way to rally these guys. You would think he would take a "it's us against the world" stand in order to invigorate the team, but you would have thought that last week after they took a fair amount of abuse.

Forget the X's and O's. If Z man can't rally his troops, it will be a fugly season. If he can, there is plenty of time to right the ship.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | September 28, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | September 28, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I think it's funny how people are talking about Cowher and Shanahan and Gruden, and debating which one would be best and at what point they should come here. As if they would even want to. Remember last year when we couldn't find anyone more qualified than a QB coach? It's that way for a reason - we have a terrible reputation of firing coaches - and it's only worse now.

So dream on about getting any HC you've ever heard of before. It will have to be an unknown unproven guy with no better option, just like Zorn.

Posted by: REXskins | September 28, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Face it, I know my shizzit.
Now, we can get on with the rest of the discussion.
Posted by: Sports_Guru | September 28, 2009 11:41

What's the point of discussing anything. You clearly are the wisest of all RI bloggers so we should really only blindly accept your knowledge without debate. Please continue to bestow upon us your football wisdom so we too can become enlightened.

Sincerely,
Jimmy Z.

Posted by: will_ga | September 28, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I blame Jasno. It's all his fault. I mean, he actually picked the Lions to win yesterday. Can you believe it? His agenda and axe grinding against this Hall-of-Fame front office knows no bounds.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 28, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

"go, seems like LL would be the guy in DH's sights.....and agreed about the poor performance of Landry this year...thats very disappointing.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

I am not really defending LaRon. But we are playing him out of position. Something that seems to give our coaches pleasure...playing guys out of their best positions.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 28, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Blache needs to start fining CB's who play 7 yards off the line on 3rd and 4.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | September 28, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Not spending money on Skins games is a good idea because we can use that money for more important things like saving money, paying bills, etc. I don't subscribe to the theory that we can influence Snyder by hitting his pocket book. He is an arrogant jerk who has no clue about running a football team. In addition, bad habits are hard to break and I see no reason why he will change for the better. As long as he is the owner we need to scale back our expectations and move on. Life is too short to spend time and money on this garbage team.

Posted by: zimboy20 | September 28, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

4th,

Agree JC needs to step up and throw the ball, Heyer is pushing the guy past JC.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 28, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

FIRE CERRATO

NOTHING CHANGES UNTIL HE IS GONE

FIRE CERRATO. FIRE CERRATO? FIRE CERRATO.

FIRE VINNY CERRATO.

Posted by: ThisGuy | September 28, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

JReid hit it on the head regarding Campbell. People that understand the game recognize this.

One of the very few bright spots this team has right now is JC. Unfortunately, he can't play defense, block for the run, or call his own plays in the red zone.

Posted by: psps23 | September 28, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

_____
So what are they saying he's a problem but not the biggest problem?? Well maybe they are right.. but he does hold the most important position on the team so if he is a problem it has to be corrected. Thing is unlike other problems he is ONE guy therefore he is easy to replace.. and what is wrong with trying someone else at QB? St Louis, Tampa Bay, Cleveland.. they all look like they are thinking about making a change at QB and I doubt that QB was those teams biggest problems either.. but when a team isn't winning you make changes were you can. Starting Collins is worth a shot...

Posted by: sovine08 | September 28, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Alex, I'm at 68% - two horrid weeks the last two...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 28, 2009 11:47 AM

I'm at 72% and getting worse every week.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 28, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I'm not for hiring Shanahan, The Chin, Chucky, or any of those guys.

I'd give the job to Buges. At least that way I'd know that the players would be giving it all they have on Sundays, win or lose.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 28, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 28, 2009 11:47 AM

You're not missing anything. It's just that when the QB sees that out of his peripheral he gets all jumpy and fans watching the game think its pressure from the defense when it's really internal to the QB.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 28, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Oh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Shaunsherman12 is up here!

How about a nice, healthy rant on how the fans are to blame?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 28, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

corky, agreed about shanny...no thanks...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 28, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

ZORN DECLARES SUNDAY WILL BE "TALK LIKE A PIRATE DAY"

Searching for a way to reverse a dismal losing trend for the Washington Redskins, head coach Jim Zorn has declared Sunday at FEDEX Field as "Talk Like a Pirate Day."

Team insiders say the coach is hoping to decipher the complex offensive and defensive schemes of their NFC foe for Sunday afternoon – the Tampa Bay Buccaneers – by listening to their play calling and analyzing the game film following their match.

While the coach said he doubts that the Redskins will have any chance of winning Sunday’s game, he nonetheless predicts that the thus winless Buccaneers will present an “awesome opportunity” for his team to learn how to lose gracefully.

“You know the Buccaneers are going to come in here hungry for a win. So the question becomes can we match their intensity? Well, I somehow doubt it.”

The coach concluded, “ARGHH! Ahoy, there matey! Would yer need a new quarterbacks coach anytime soon?”

Posted by: Vic1 | September 28, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

riggo44

Exactly. At crucial points Zorn so often tries to trick teams rather than go head to head and beat them. Makes us look soft and can't be good for the player's confidence.

Posted by: will_ga | September 28, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

The second part of my dream had us hiring Floyd Reese (currently on the NE Patriots staff) as our General Manager. He's the one that masterminded the Titans rise from the ashes. I know they're 0-3 right now, but they have a good roster and had quite a string of good years.

Posted by: RITCA | September 28, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

rexskins,

Name the coaches we fired besides Norv who sucked. JKC should have fired Norv and saved Snyder the trouble.

Marty was a mistake but he is the only coach Snyder has fired.

The reason he couldn't get a coach last year was because he was going to force Zorn on them and JC.

If they would have hired a coach and let him hire his staff, they could of gotten any of the guys they talked to.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 28, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Saints Vs. Bills in the Stupor Bowl!! My gumbo rain supreme over y'alls Buffallo wings!! My gumbo so good , I took it to the Middle East an' all the terrorists put down their guns and peace brokeout..But Cheney wasn't have'n that so he fired a drone missile at me, killing 100 villagers next door..I took em sum my gumbo and there were smiles all around!! The Good Lord came down and said, "Here , sit on my thrown while I try me sum of that gumbo!!" He said "Here, wear this Crown' and I did and..Is Zorn still coach?? ..

Posted by: frak | September 28, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Good news is that all of us are beating Mike Willbon on the pickem league.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 28, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Look the Redskins can't win on the field when the management is so piss poor. That's why talented players come here to die (figuratively). Until that front office is straightened up, we'll continue to lose and lose in spectacular fashion. Why would anyone with a brain think Zorn can is capable? Just think back to how he got hired on a whim. What kind of organization does that? You go in to interview for the OC and the owner says "wanna coach?" That's ludicrous beyond belief. Even the Detroit Lions put more thought into hiring their head coach.

Posted by: tundey | September 28, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sovine08 | September 28, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

The thing is that JC isn't playing bad. That's the issue with replacing him. you have to find someone better than him that's available. Collins is terrible in this system. He wasn't even good against second team defenses in the preseason. The biggest problem facing this offense is the run game or lack thereof. The defense can't get anybody off the field either. Fix those two problems first then worry about JC.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 28, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

So, I guess in lieu of a good interview with Cerrato, the Mayor will just take pot shots at the man...

As for Haynesworth and Hall, if they play undisciplined football, then the coach can bench them. There's nothing in the world that gets the attention of an alleged star player like putting them on the shelf, and I don't buy that Blache doesn't have the authority to do it. He's going to retire soon so what does he have to lose by benching them? What's Snyder going to do, fire him?

Cerrato gives the coach the players. The coach has to make the players play. Cerrato had nothing to do with the nine penalties called yesterday or some of the lame brained play calling of the last three weeks. There is a lot of talent on this team and the coaches have to figure out a way to get the most out of it. This might mean changing the game plan a little. If it means covering for Haynesworth so he can roam, then do it. If it means giving D. Hall safety support so he can gamble on interceptions, then do it. If it means throwing high and outside to big receivers like M. Kelly and M. Mitchell, then do it. This team can win a lot of games with these players, but they cannot win a lot of games with the plays they have been calling thus far...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 28, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Mike Shanahan.)

And we're kidding about the stuff in parentheses. Until January, that is.

Posted by: MrRedskin21

There's no mud on artificial surfaces...Philly has run the west coast the last 10 years...they've done better than the skins!!

Posted by: tonyc | September 28, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Is all lost?

PIT loses to CIN, giving up a late touchdown for the loss. CIN had lost the 6 previous games against PIT. PIT has lost its last 3 road games.

Q: are the Steelers done?

Look, the real problem here is that the Redskins can't run the football. Here's Jim Zorn's mental picture of his offense:

WR TE LT LG C WR
QB
FB
RB

No wonder he won't run right. OR CALL AN F'ING BOOTLEG RIGHT. Holy crap. Going for it on 4th and 1 was Spurrier-like. 2 of 10 on third down will not cut it.

Argh... yes, this is a trend (Lambs/Lions) but perhaps it's broken against the Bucs. RUN THE BALL.

Posted by: dpc2003 | September 28, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Zorn may or may not be the coach for this team, but the real problem starts with the front office. The problem the Redskins have had since Synder became owner is that, in the off season, Washington doesn't assemble a team, it collects players. There's a big differance. And they have no grasp of what players, FA or college draft picks, are good. Until THAT changes, the Redskins will not be successfull.

Posted by: MoralProtagonist | September 28, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

This loss is on the fans who "boo" our winning formula vs. the Rams.

This loss is on the fans who specualted about firing our coach and drafting a QB last week

Many fans have become an army of snyder clones.

booooooooooo to the fair weather TD who-er fans.

this is for the fans that quit lat week after a win

you guys suck and you ruined the season

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 28, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

D Hall don't have jack to say. He has played poor for the first three games. I think it is time to put Dirty Thirty back to the position you drafted him for.

Posted by: jm220 | September 28, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Gruden, Shanahan, Cowher, Holmgren.....none of these guys would considering talking to Dan Snyder about coming here unless Cerrato was already gone. Gruden would at least light a fire under some of the players and get them to play hard. The organization needs to be restructured from the front office on down before the team has any hope of being succeessful on the field.

Posted by: wizfan89 | September 28, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins are now the Raiders, only we can't blame our owner's stupidity on being senile.

Posted by: dfbovey | September 28, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

the real problem is the fans can't appreciate 9-7 win

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 28, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

corky, agreed about shanny...no thanks...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 28, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I want Bruce Allen as GM, Russ Grimm has head coach, Brian Mitchell as special teams coach, and Romeo Crennel to come to town as the D-coordinator and bring a 3-4 pressure scheme with him.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 28, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

corky, agreed about shanny...no thanks...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 28, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2

I can agree with that.

Posted by: jm220 | September 28, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm... Somehow the picture got messed up

WR TE LT LG C blank blank WR

There, thats' better?

Posted by: dpc2003 | September 28, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Marty was a mistake but he is the only coach Snyder has fired.

Posted by: Flounder21
==========================

Do you mean that Firing Marty was a mistake? Or hiring him was?

I think Firing him after one 8-8 season was a big mistake. He should have been given more time, I think he's a lot better than Zorn.

You've also got Spurrier there at 2 years. I'm not going to stick up for him at all, but his short tenure does add to the perception. That coupled with a potential 2 year or less tenure for Zorn, and I think it does paint a pretty clear picture that going at or under .500 can get you fired. I think most organizations searching for a complete overhaul take more of a patient long-view.

Snyder could surprise everyone and offer the vast amounts of gold and complete control, but I still don't think the trust would be there, and for the "good" prospects that would be an issue that would turn them away.

Posted by: REXskins | September 28, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

cl, I know he's out of position, but still the lack of plays, the missed tackles, the bad angles....just frustrating....

heck, if we're starting over, lets go with Grimm...give him a shot....I don't want shanny...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 28, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

i don't want to get the media, you guys ruined the season too

thanks Sonny you jerk

Zorn called all pass plays in the 1st half, are you happy?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 28, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 28, 2009 11:53 AM

BEcause of this, we may have a reason to fire Vinny.....Unless he was promised one do over.....Which I think is extremly possible with Snyder

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 28, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

The sky has fallen

Looks like Chicken Little was right.

Posted by: jgarrisn | September 28, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

the fans and the media are out of position

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 28, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts after watching the game yesterday:

1. Heyer is garbage. He was getting shoved all over the field on running and passing plays.

2. Betts is garbage. He lacks field and situational awareness. He lacks explosion, vision, power, and heart. The guy gets tackled by his own shoelaces.

3. D.Hall couldn't cover himself with a blanket.

4. Whoever thought it was a good idea to have our safeties covering the Lions wideouts in single man coverage is a lunatic.

5. If Fred Smoot plays any further off his man he'd be lined up in the stands. I'd almost rather have Tryon in there!

6. It's impossible to run the ball effectively when you only run left. Much like that 4th and 1 (terrible call), the Lions simply committed to an overload blitz on the left side of our line.

7. It's impossible to run the ball effectively when you only hand it off 14 times in the game.

8. Jason Campbell looks good when the training wheels are taken off. He can't lock onto recievers like he did when he threw the pick though. It's about time we take advantage of his mobility though to utilize roll-outs and bootlegs.

9. Someone needs to teach the receivers how to beat single man coverage. Seems like Moss and Cooley are the only ones who can do it.

10. Zorn can not create an effective gameplan to save his life.

11. Zorn couldn't motivate a two year old to eat ice-cream.

12. Zorn needs someone who is not retarded to call the plays as it seems he lacks that qualification.

13. We should replace Heyer with BMW. He sucks at pass blocking, but he seemed to run block better than Heyer. Since Heyer can't pass OR run block effectively, I see that as an overall improvement.

Posted by: ecale25 | September 28, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

This loss is on the fans who "boo" our winning formula vs. the Rams.

Many fans have become an army of snyder clones.

booooooooooo to the fair weather TD who-er fans.

this is for the fans that quit lat week after a win

you guys suck and you ruined the season

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 28, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

this is comical. what was the winning "formula" vs. one of the WORST defenses in the league. a 9-7 win vs. the saints/vikings is one thing. there was no formula to this win, unless you think hoping their WR fumbles the ball inside the 10 is a "formula".

and fairweather fans would have jumped ship long ago. the folks here for the most part are fans who want this team to succeed....

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 28, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I'll be honest, I want to think JC is the problem, but I gotta wonder is he really?

I've been looking at JCs Stats
Game Completions Attempts %PCT Yards Touchdowns Interceptions
Giants 19 of 26 73.08% 211 1 1
Rams 23 of 35 65.71% 242
Lions 27 of 41 65.85% 340 2 1
Over Three games 69 of 102 67.65% 793 3 2
Per Game 23 of 34 67.65% 264.3333333 1 0.666666667
368 544 4229.333333 16 10.66666667

What is stark is that in game 1 JC was 73% accurate, with 1 TD and 1 INT, then in the rams and Lions Game that fell to 65% why is he 10% less accurate? Is it drops? Is it bad decisions? The yards went up too, but, look if we carry this out. over Three games and then take that rate times 16 games JC could be 368 of 544 for 4230 Yards, 16 TDs and 11 INTs. Now are those stats good or great? Not if we end up 5-10, in the last game will we be happy? I don't think so. Were there a lot of dropped balls yesterday, cause I don't know how we have a 300 Yard Passing effort from JC, and end up how we did, losing.

Posted by: Veretax | September 28, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

JZ... real doubts about his ability to motivate a football team.

He can't get the offense to move quickly, as in approach the line of scrimmage as if they actually WANT to run a play. Is that on JC? Is he a lollygagger? The lack of tempo on the offense is really disturbing.

The lack of misdirection: Is that a product of the zone blocking scheme?

Posted by: dpc2003 | September 28, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Jason Reid be real, Haynesworth by far is not the problem on this defense you may have a point with Hall but Hall has acknolwedged when he is in error. At some point you have to look at the coordinator, when we had Jason Taylor here Blatche didn't let him play his natural position, my question is why not , what in the hell has Andre Carter done?
Next Orakpo is playing out of position and teams are able to easily take him out of the game. He needs to play defensive end along with Jarmon and put Carter and Daniels on the bench we need speed , youth , quickness and utilizing players to their strength.

The secondary is a mess I am very disappointed in Laron Landry, where was he yesterday?

Haynesworth has allowed Mcintosh and Fletcher to excel he is a defensive tackle his job is not to get sacks but to free up space so that others can make plays. At some point if guys are not producing they need to be benched.

Posted by: TheBeatDontStop | September 28, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Veretax | September 28, 2009 12:05 PM

Stats like these are not uncommon for a QB on a team playing from behind.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 28, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Firing Marty was a mistake.

Spurrier was not fired he quit.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 28, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Blow the whole thing up a la Atlanta Falcons...but PLEASE start by firing Cerrato!

Posted by: cedric_lockhart | September 28, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor
===========================

I think Vinny's angle is that he's transitioning the team to a west coast offense. If they fail along the way, they can replace the coach, or the QB, but the core of his plan will take 3-4 years until it will really pay off.

That's what I imagine Vinny is telling Snyder, and Snyder is buying it completely, and that's why he's keeping Vinny while changing everything else.

I hope VC get's fired and a new coach gets full control, but it doesn't seem likely based on historical events.

Posted by: REXskins | September 28, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 28, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2

You know, I would love to have Russ come back and instill some toughness and fire into this team, and I would even be willing to go 3-4 if we had too. Problem is we are short on linebackers :/

Posted by: Veretax | September 28, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

RickMaese Players seem at a loss trying to explain what happened yesterday. No clues that indicate how they'll rebound.

Disturbing. You can't fix the problem if you don't know what's wrong.

Posted by: will_ga | September 28, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I've never felt sicker being a skins fan of 3 decades.

Forget about game planning and practicing, start making this "best team on paper" perform drills on a steep incline, Mike singletary style.

Posted by: bhoang888 | September 28, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Spurrier was not fired he quit.

Posted by: Flounder21

Yeah he quit just like Nixon resigned. You can call it what you want, but he obviously would have been fired.

Posted by: REXskins | September 28, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Are the fans over reacting? No.

Does this team resemble a playoff team? Nope.

Is the running game the worst the Redskins ever had? Yes.

Is Portis done? Yes.

Is the Oline just horrible? Yes.

Whats worse, the Dline or the Secondary?
Coin Flip.

Will Vinny be here next year? Yes.

Will Danny own the team next year? Yes.

Will JC be here next year? No.

Will Zorn be here next year? No.

Will Blache be here next year? No.

Will the team be better next year? Maybe, but not playoff caliber.

Danny and Vinny have killed this franchise. Not on purpose, they actually think they are making the right moves.
The Danny will never fire Vinny, I am convinced of this, and the fans will keep coming, so Danny is safe. I do not see how this ever gets better.

Posted by: pickps1 | September 28, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Shaunsherman12 is up here!

How about a nice, healthy rant on how the fans are to blame?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 28, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

--------------

Meh. Find where I said it was ALL the fan's fault. I stated that booing after a win was stupid and DOESN'T HELP. I also stated that I understood how people would boo during a game or at the half, though I myself don't boo.

A little sensitive about accepting that we are very fickle fans, are we?

Chia, do you think we should boo them when they come through the tunnel this week before the game? We booed 'em off the field when they won, so by logic we should be booin' them back on the field after losing to the Lions. You have to at least admit the possibility of it happening.

I know it's difficult to accept that our fanbase can work against our own hopes, but it can.

Proceed to rant about how our team stinks. I'm as frustrated with them as you. That said, AT THE GAME, I'll be loud and try to give 'em SOMETHING, ANYTHING, that will help turn the tide.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | September 28, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Ecale, great list, however

So somebody who has the qualification of being retarded could call a better game?

I think we agree...

Posted by: dpc2003 | September 28, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Although Orakpo has been better with his hand down, I believe he would be a dominant outside linebacker in a 3-4. I said that to a lot of people right after the draft.

Posted by: LouLewis | September 28, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Todd Collins QB? NO! He doesn't have the arm strength to stretch the field and he lacks mobility, hey i like Collins but he's limited in what he can do. I blasted Blache yesterday but in reality he's not to blame after reading Jason's article Blache is between a rock and a hard place.

Posted by: dargregmag | September 28, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

capbell is actually having a good season zorn play calling and decision making are messing this team up

Posted by: antonio963 | September 28, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Excellent,excellent summation J. Reid. Well done.

People have to stop buying tickets and merchandise. But know that's not going to happen.

Posted by: hailrskins | September 28, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Spurrier was not fired he quit.

Posted by: Flounder21

Posted by: REXskins | September 28, 2009 12:11 PM |

Doesn't matter he sucked anyway and Gibbs was braught in, no body would have said sh_t if Spurrier was fired.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 28, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2

We would need to get 3 new LB's to do that. Or at least 2, because we have maybe 2 starting LB's if you want to count RMac.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 28, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Veretax | September 28, 2009 12:05 PM

Stats like these are not uncommon for a QB on a team playing from behind.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 28, 2009 12:09 PM

100% agreeance. His stats are the biggest joke.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 28, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

rex, you're wrong, Snyder has gone on record stating that he wanted Spurrier back for a 3rd year....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 28, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 28, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Well I have continued to go through my list of future head coaches for the team. Spent a bit of time over the weekend trying to figure out some more info on everyone on my list. Personally I would like to see the skins go with someone who is not named Mike... There are some great assistant head coaches and coordinators out there who are ready to take on the big job. Three names I think we need to look at. A lot of the info I got was from wiki but its hard to find out what "system" everyone runs.

Russ Grimm, offensive coordinator for AZ, probably would be the most respected by fans. Comes from the Cower/Shottinhimer/Gibbs style of get the lead and sit on it, philosophy.
Rob Ryan, Defensive coordinator and brother of Rex Ryan. Now with the Brown's but don't let that fool you, he was in NE working with Billy Boy, in 2003 when they had the no 1 D in the NFL.
Pete Carmichael Jr, Offensive Coordinator for N.O., was in Quality Control in DC in 2001. He has been a Quality Control guy in several cities and position coach with WR and QB's.

Leslie Frazier- Defensive Coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings. Comes from the Jim Johnson Coaching Tree, has some skill in helping teams increase their INT's.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 28, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Michael Wilbon asked when the joy went out of watching the Redskins, and I'd have to say about 3 years before JKK died. I can't imagine a more boring stadium or location, which is the result of trying to work with the inept Barry and Sharon Pratt Kelly. The team has been going down for some time now, but under Snyder it has taken a nose dive, and until he butts out and hires a GM that actually knows football, the dive will only accelerate.

Posted by: Ireland2 | September 28, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | September 28, 2009 12:15 PM |
Alex,

Rocky has played very well this year.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 28, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

THIS GUY

KEEP UP THE CHANTS
FIRE CERRATO
FIRE CERRATO

Posted by: jj44skins | September 28, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell is the problem not the only problem but the main one. This is a guy who on 3rd and 18 draws a DE offsides for a free play dumps it off to bettsfor a gain of 5. In no way should something like that be overlooked. A change is needed and the only option wr have is Collins it's better to replace the QB now than the coach.

Posted by: murphyz | September 28, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

It took Gibbs 2.0 a couple of years to start to turn the culture of losing instilled by the hated Norv Turner.

It seems that JZ is p*ssing it away, again turning the Redskins into a team that cannot help themselves to win.

It seems to me that JZ and the hated Norv come from the same school: "players need to motivate themselves", i.e. "stay medium". B.S. That might work if you have a Michael Irvin and Emmitt Smith in your locker room. Phillip Rivers might also be that guy.

Don't think anybody on the Redskins will be that guy, in fact most good NFL teams seem to require a world-class motivator as a head coach. If JZ can't light a fire under these guys, he's gone.

BTW, firing Marty was a good decision. Without a real GM he's average.

Posted by: dpc2003 | September 28, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

For those giving praise to JC cause he threw for over 300 yards...Well I'd hope that any QB would throw for that many when you thriow the ball 41 times and only run the ball 14 times!!!!!!

Posted by: leevi98 | September 28, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I've been ready all the comments all morning about what's wrong and who is to blame and so forth. The simple answer and the cold hard truth is we stink as organization. The Washington Redskins are the same team they've been for the past ten years and will continue to be under Dan Snyder. Face it everyone, we just aren't very good. The Redskins are a laughing stock where primadonna players come to get paid and occasionally show up to play hard every once in awhile. Coaches aren't immune to this either, they are paid handsomely and really don't have to worry about wins and losses b/c their bank accounts still look good. There is no hunger or drive in our players b/c they've already been paid or know they won't be paid when their time comes b/c the Redskins don't reward their own players they reward other teams players. I still love the Redskins but I've come to accept that getting all agro and trying to figure out what's wrong with this is just a collassal waste of my time. I'll still be a donkey and pay my money to Direct TV so I can stay up until 2 am after driving 5 hours from Rhode Island back to Vermont just see what I've seen so many times in the past 10 years. The Skins uncanny ability to make bad teams looks good. I knew as did most of you that as soon as we ran left and Portis fell down on the 4th and 2 and then we let a POS offense drive 99 yards on us to score a TD, that the Skins would lose this game. It has happened so many times before and will continue to happen again for one reason and one reason only. There is NO PRIDE in being a Redskin anymore, it just about a paycheck and that my friends is why we are the worst franchise in the NFL. Good luck solving all the problems but it's just a waste of time b/c no one, who is capable, can or will want to solve this mess.

Posted by: forever8-8 | September 28, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Leevi98,

Yeah, they are padded stats. I don't blame any one thing with this team alone, though.

The offense has no consistency, but had the ball on just four possessions because the defense stunk it up so bad in the first half.

The defense tightened up some in the second half, and then the offense threw a pick and got horribly timed penalties while failing to capitalize on what momentum had been built by the opening 3rd quarter drive.

Right now, the best player on our team is Hunter Smith...yikes.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | September 28, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Blache is getting a pass from everyone. he always says that he needs to review the tape and see what he did wrong, but nothing changes from game to game. He needs to make the defese work or retire. Why is zorn getting all the blame? he does not have a O line, QB, RB, and now he does not have a defense.

Posted by: Skins2 | September 28, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

The continuous blame of JC for this debacle is nonsense. That dude isn't close to being the problem with this team. He has made a few mistakes but has played well this year. Whoever starts the Todd Collins stuff is an idiot. We always talk about franchise QBs but how many are really that? You have Brees, peyton, and Brady and that's it. Zorn is the problem. Everyone and their mama knew we were running left on fourth and 1. Heaven forbid JC changed the the play and he would've been benched right? Greg "Blah's" defense isn't much better. They can't stop anyone and can't get off of the field. A rookie drives 99 yards down field!

Posted by: dcwun | September 28, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm just sort of shocked that 20 years of experience hasn't made Reid a better journalist.

Posted by: themantoyou | September 28, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

On Jason Campbell:

If we accept that the Skins are a bunch of flaming turds, then Campbell looks like a top 10 QB in the league. Go look at the stats - top 5-10 in nearly every category. You can't expect him to have a lot of TD throws given the play-calling, o-line and receivers. Not to mention, 2 out of 3 games where the defense can't get off the field.

Posted by: geehosophat | September 28, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

The Danny needs to fire himself and take his love interest Cerrato with him.

FIRE SNYDER

Posted by: DBriles10 | September 28, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Charley Casserly... Bobby Beathard... Bill Parcells..People that understand NFC east... not wco.... who understand basics.... offensive line..... defensive line.... look at the winners in this league, gotta start up front not like cerrato who had the fortune of being tutored by a Legend sorry out of respect can't put his name near cerrato... wow and I guess disrespect... this is not footballl speak this is what all moms give to their children common sense

Posted by: travmanf | September 28, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Ecale, great list, however

I think we agree...

Posted by: dpc2003 | September 28, 2009 12:13 PM

I am implying that Zorn is so mentally stunted that he is incapable of making logical and functional playcalls and should therefore hand playcalling duties off to someone who is not brain-damaged.

Posted by: ecale25 | September 28, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!

Posted by: rowroy | September 28, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Ted Leonsis, the Anti-Snyder (http://www.tedstake.com/2009/09/28/pledges/):

Pledges

Here is a nice slide show of images from the wonderful Caps Convention this past Saturday. Check them out here on On Frozen Blog.

Someone asked me on Saturday if I would commit to them that we would do the Caps Convention on an annual basis. I responded that we would have to get perspective first on how this one went and listen to our fan base about how to improve before we could make any decisions. That got me to thinking about commitment and pledges.

So herewith my pledges to you:

* We will always operate the team as if it is a public trust. It is our job and responsibility to hold a mirror up to our community and be a reflection of the best of our fan base;
* We will always strive to be transparent and open and communicate often and honestly with our fan base;
* We will be interactive and high tech/high touch as an organization;
* We will always remain humble and hungry and sweat all of the details;
* We will be first class in all of our efforts. We will do less things but the things we do undertake as a franchise will be world class in execution;
* We will adhere to a system and a plan and stick with our strategy;
* We will strive for continuity and harmony;
* We will strive to offer value in all offerings to our fans. We seek ” Happiness” as a state of mind and being for our fan base;
* We will be an innovator and leader in our marketing and customer relations efforts;
* We will work hard to keep our team together so we can ice a great team for a long time;
* We will only be focused as an organization of winning the Stanley Cup. We have a singular goal.

Thank you to all of our fans who attended the Caps Convention this weekend. Thank you to all of our fans who can’t wait for the new season to start. We have our hands full to meet expectations this season. Might as well go out and see what we are made of. Drop the puck - let’s go! Go Caps!

Posted by: dc_homer | September 28, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

For those who bare going to the Bucs game this Sunday!! Can we get a "Snyder you suck" chant going. I think that is the only thing that can save my season at this point. If all 97K were chanting that, it would be the greatest thing ever!!!! Spread the word

Posted by: cromag23 | September 28, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

Dan Snyder has just hired a team of private investigators to help the Skins find the endzone…

Posted by: cromag23 | September 28, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Mental toughness. Who can bring that here.

Posted by: TWISI | September 28, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Two words for you..... Russ Grimm!!!!!!!

Posted by: rjohnson66 | September 28, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

This is my favorite Jason Reid article - great work.

Posted by: nativedc | September 28, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Agree with most of your analysis, Jason, except for one very important point:

VINNY assembled this team. VINNY assembled this coaching staff. Vinny has had 10 freakin' years to build this team and he has FAILED in every possible way.

This is ENTIRELY Vinny's fault. (Snyder's even more so, but we can't fire him.)

Posted by: drischord | September 28, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

*Redskinshead*-----"Personally, I think Cerrato is less to blame than Zorn - or even Blache - at this point. If offensive line was a problem, there was much Zorn could have asked for in preseason as a remedy, but his standard line was the team was going to be okay."

Ok Mrs. Cerrato, we know it's you. Your son Vincent knows little to nothing about talent evaluation, strategy, and execution. You should stop defending him now. Tough love Mrs. Cerrato, tough love.

Posted by: dcfan1 | September 28, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

For those who bare going to the Bucs game this Sunday!! Can we get a "Snyder you suck" chant going. . ..

No I think we should get a SELL THIS TEAM chant going

Posted by: wootens | September 28, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins started 6-0 once and kenny Houston said, "We are seriously considering going 16-0". They finished 2-8. As ridiculous as that statement was, it doesn't come close to Cerrato's. "We have a plan."

Posted by: larrypalma | September 28, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato has been around 10 years too long.

Notice that when Bill Walsh went back to the 49ers in the late 1990's the first move he made was to fire Vinny Cerrato from the front office.

Vinny simply doesn't deliver the goods.

He's a guy that as a GM makes one good move and then makes one equally bad move, so the team really doesn't ever move forward.

There was nothing wrong with the Orakpo pick but after that you would figure the team would concentrate on the OL and perhaps add some speed in the backfield.

Instead the team continued to draft for defense with Barnes.

This is after the team already signed Hall and had Rogers and Smoot on the roster. The team had also spent a #4 pick last year on Justin Tryon.

Meanwhile, no relief on offense was to be found.

What the team has done in trying to line Jason Taylor up as a LDE and use Orakpo as a strongside linebacker is curious enough in itself.

Why not put these players in position to be successful or acquire other players?

Posted by: leopard09 | September 28, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Breaking news! SI has learned the safest place in MD during a Tornado is
FedEx Field!

Why FedEx? Because there are never any Touch Downs there!

Posted by: rlomax67 | September 28, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

We need a competent GM! A godd GM would fire the whole coaching staff and let JC hit the road. FIRE VINNY! FIRE VINNY! FIRE VINNY! FIRE VINNY! FIRE VINNY!

Posted by: tdpillo123 | September 28, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins will never be even a competitive team with a) their current coach b) the way their player contracts are structured c) without a much more effective player personnel director. The team's play this season reflects their head coach's cool, analytic, detached style. In his press conference today, Zorn should have expressed his fury with his players, his coaches and himself for a stinkeroo performance in Detroit. Instead, we got a calm assurance that "the team is getting better" and that he and the coaches would be tweaking a few details. What the team needs is a head coach like Mike Singletary, the SF 49ers head coach, whose emotion, fire and sometimes anger are contagious. The 49ers, not an overly talented team, went out and battered a very physical Minnesota club this past Sunday, losing on the last play of the game. Whenever 49er players performed poorly on the field, Singletary met them at the sideline and was in their face, in front of the team, the entire stadium and TV. He was equally demonstrative in his praise when a 49er did something outstanding. The 49ers were over-matched on the field, except in their fire, their intensity, focus, the way they hit and the emotion they brought to the game. When's the last time the Redskins have played with focus and intensity for a full 60 minutes? Zorn is probably a wonderful QB coach, but he cannot command the full attention and respect of his players, as can Singletary, who is quite capable of ripping off someone's arm if necessary to gain his attention. The Redskin contracts don't help; they should be restructured as soon as possible (probably five years) to lower guarantees and up incentives. All future contracts should be structured that way. Finally, the Redskins need player personnel people who can spot talented college players on smaller college campuses, not just sign up big names from big-time schools, when preparing for a draft. The big-time players frequently bring an attitude of entitlement, big salary demands and little hunger. None of these changes assures success. But with the way the team is now going, the Redskins will continue to be mediocre at best.

Posted by: jjaustin1 | September 28, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Hi Brian Mitchell here, trying to connect with my fans. I'm sure there are many questions you would like answered, especially after our loss yesterday.

So I have set up a conference service starting tomorrow Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 1:00pm so that you can have interactive discussions with me! The call is FREE. Dial 712-432-8220 and show ID 5154.

You can also email me prior to and during the show at bmitch@comvl.com. Hope to hear from the fans tomorrow.

Please let me know if you will be calling in. Thanks

Posted by: brianmitchell | September 28, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Jason,
When we had a decent O-line last year, Campbell did very well. Unless you get a Vick, who is always going to be running for his life, no QB will succede with this group IMHO.

Also, if you're going to blame Cambell, then you have to blame Portis too, since he hasn't run for squat.

Posted by: Redskinrex | September 28, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Long time fan, first time poster. The problems here start at the top. Danny creates the environment that allows this stuff to happen. The NFL players know that they can cash in by coming to Washington.

Many current players are delusional. Wasn't there a quote last week where Santana said they were the best team in the NFL? Seriously...what an idiot. I'm not drinking the cool-aide any more, the beer-goggles are off. This team is ugly and it is Synder's fault. He can have it.

If you live in DC still (I don't), look northward to Baltimore. I'm out west and am moving on from the 'skins. Best of luck to those that stick with Danny.

Oh, and Cooley will always rule. He's the exception.

Posted by: SeeYaDanny | September 28, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

I think forever8-8 hit the nail on the head.
There is no hunger or drive in our players.

Sad thing is I am almost as bad any more. It used to take all week for me to get over a loss. Now it is more like "eh, oh well."

Posted by: rdsknsfn | September 29, 2009 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17
________
What Collins didn't have a bad pre season. You are thinking of Colt. Todd locked up 2nd string after the second game and he hardly played after that. In fact if you want to know Campbell had a pretty bad preseason overall. Besides until Collins gets to play with the starting team you can't know how he and the team performs. What we do know is the team is not winning under Campbell. And your fix the running game and the defense first is asinine. How??? How many players can Zorn replace?? Look the QB is the leader and Campbell while putting up ok numbers against pretty crappy teams like the Rams and Lions is not doing enough to win. You can't change the whole team and while Zorn maybe is the biggest problem changing HC's now is also not easy. Start Collins one game.. see if the Skins look better.. If nothing else it will shake this team up.

Posted by: sovine08 | September 29, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato should be working the Catalina Wine Mixer instead of controlling the destiny of the Washington Redskins.

This team has been massacred because of Danny Boy and his sock puppet Vinny Dorrito.

Forget about it. Nothing to see here.

Posted by: dcfan1 | October 2, 2009 3:04 AM | Report abuse