Moss declines to talk about Galea

Redskins' receiver Santana Moss declined Wednesday to discuss whether he received treatment from Anthony Galea, the Canadian doctor, charged last week with smuggling and distributing human growth hormone.

"I already know you all gonna ask me or have a bunch of questions about the allegations last week. Right now where I stand, me and Coach Shanahan went over everything and where we're at," Moss said following the team's organized team activity (OTA) Wednesday afternoon. "We're very clear on our decision. So if you have any questions about them, you have to ask him about it."

Teammates, however, said Moss told them last week that he received treatments on three occasions from Galea but the receiver did not know if HGH was a part of those treatments.

Moss was available to reporters for the first time since his name first surfaced last week in news reports that linked the nine-year veteran with Galea. But Moss referred all questions about Galea to Washington Coach Mike Shanahan.

Shanahan said he met with Moss on Wednesday morning before practice.

"[We] went through a bunch of situations that have happened to him, and I feel really good about where he's at," Shanahan said. "And real good that -- I don't know if vindicated is the word, but I think when you find out all the facts, I think he'll be OK."

Defensive end Phillip Daniels said that Moss told some teammates last week that he was treated by Galea, but he told them he never knowingly took HGH.

"I hate that he's got to be the guy who gets labeled," Daniels said. "Who knows what happened with them coming across the border with stuff? Who knows who they're going to see? I hate that he's got to be the guy to get labeled. He's a guy who goes out and does everything he can to help this team win. So when Santana talked to us about that, I
believe he was telling the truth."

According to one source, Galea's medical assistant was on her way to meet Moss in Washington last September, when she was arrested at the U.S.-Canada border on Sept. 14, 2009, with HGH, syringes and other medical equipment in her possession.

Shanahan could not say whether he anticipates a suspension coming from the league office and still hasn't spoken with NFL officials about the case. He expects the league to make more progress in its investigation in the next couple of weeks.

"I feel very good about where he's at, the direction that he took," Shanahan said.

It is not believed that Moss will face criminal charges, but the NFL is actively investigating whether its players received treatment or banned substances from Galea. If the league determines that Moss violated the league's drug policy, he could be subject to a four-game suspension.

Moss said the news reports aren't a distraction -- "I'm good; I'm just getting ready for the season" -- and says he's not losing sleep over a possible suspension.

"I ain't worrying about all that stuff," he said.

One day before his name became publicly linked to Galea's, Moss was evasive about the topic last week in a conversation with the Washington Post's Barry Svrluga. "Until they say it has something to do with me, then we can talk about it," he said.

Moss is recovering from offseason arthroscopic knee surgery and was able to participate in more of the team's practices this week. When the team returns to Redskins Park for its next set of OTAs next week, Shanahan expects Moss to be able to handle an increased workload.

Moss said he's not certain when he'll be 100 percent.

"I have to go along with all my rehab stuff. The signs pretty much show up once I go out there and go through a full practice," Moss said. "Right now we're not trying to do that. Right now were taking everything as slow as we can and doing the right thing when it comes to me being back. I'm not in a rush to do that. I am in a rush to being out there with those guys, but I'm not in a rush to do anything stupid with my knee."

By Rick Maese  |  May 26, 2010; 2:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Albert Haynesworth targeted in $10 million paternity suit, report says
Next: Daniels: Moss didn't know what doctor was injecting him with

Comments

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 26, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I guess he’s guilty then (AH)…..no way a stripper would make up any BS story like this about a pro athlete and then sue for $10 million. No way. Just ask the Duke Lacrosse team. Those guys should have been in jail from day 1. So it costs $10 mil to raise a kid? Wow, some of you guys up here with kids must be some rich mofo’s. I just realized that I will NEVER be able to have a kid. I’m glad this stripper has shown me the light.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 26, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

he could do like tiger and bang half the planet's floozies....that would distract press from following galea story line!

or like Arod who won a championship so all is forgiven

or like jose reyes who is sucking so bad no one can believe he is juicing

(galea was a dr of tigers, arod, reyes)

Posted by: chrislarry | May 26, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

We ain't gonna get s***t for Haynesworth now...You can just see Allen on the phone,"Aw, c'mon, he's worth at least a 7th!! A 7th!!"...naw , take whateva you can get, Bruce...

Posted by: frak | May 26, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

So, Santana is using the "I didn't know it was HGH" defense? Well, that works if there are no doctor's records that say specifically what he was treated with, and if there are no signs of HGH in his system. However, if there is any evidence suggesting he took them, he'll get suspended. Every other NFL player that has tried to mount the same defense has been told "a player is responsible for knowing any substance that goes into their body and the league has published a list of the banned substances". Still, if Shanahan is cool with Moss, then they must have a good feeling about beating the rap. Out of curiosity, what happens if resolution of this issue is delayed until next season, and then the players are locked out? When they come back, the new contract that they'll be under may actually strike down the rules as they pertain to HGH and detection. Does this mean Moss can get away with it completely?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 26, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

And Shanahan also acknowledged that three players -- LaRon Landry, Andre Carter, and punter Josh Bidwell -- were absent today, but made it clear that this was not an earthshaking crisis in the world of Redskins OTAs. "Every once in a while there's gonna be a situation where a guy's excused or he's got a problem," Shanahan said, "and I won't get into all the scenarios, but that's typical of OTA days and hopefully we won't have too many of those."

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 26, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Leading Baby names so far:
Goldmine
Lil' Stompy
Puff Diddy
FAT ALBERTA
Mealticket
Million dollar baby
Free Agent
Prodigal
Chile

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 26, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

if nothing else, Albert won't be in a good mood this season. I kinda think that's a good thing.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 26, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Maybe, just maybe, a little bit of legitimately bad press will prod him to find refuge in the sanctuary of football...and he'll start showing up for things like a good boy...

Posted by: p1funk | May 26, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

OK Predator, since you said Chile Please ... you'll never need to ask twice for me to put up some Chile pics ...

I'm the one on the right

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 26, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

on the subject of DC getting a superbowl, a PFT post from a few minutes ago makes reference to a NFL "rule" (probably more of a guideline, but I don't know) that SBs be played in cities with an average Feb temp of at least 50 degrees. Not clear if this means average *high* temp or just avg temp. But if it means average high temp, DC is very nearly there -- the avg high temp in Feb in DC is apparently 47 degrees. That would seem to be close enough if the league wanted to justify it.

Posted by: manlius1 | May 26, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Lawyer dudes up here....what's her burden of proof to force Albert to get swabbed. It's got to be more than just "That's my baby daddy," right?

Posted by: 4-12 | May 26, 2010 12:29 PM

"Your Honor, the plaintiff is a slight woman weighing less than 112 pounds by her own admission. My client weighs over 320 pounds. I urge the court to take judicial notice of the physics of the alleged incident."

Seriously, this is a shakedown. The guy was (until Freeney) the highest paid defensive lineman in the NFL. She's facing a high stakes gamble here ... take the settlement money or roll the dice on the DNA test. Is she THAT certain about her celibacy before and after the alleged encounter?

Posted by: dcsween | May 26, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

2 more pics of me in Chile

the 2nd time thru -- I'm back left

1st time thru? -- Mostly my legs. Ursula, Allan and Emily all decided to avoid being in the pic

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 26, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

"Moss declines to talk about Galea"

Hardly surprising but it's probably just as well that that Dude declined to man up and deal with the issue.

Last thing that fans need are more lies, deceptions and denials.

And it's not like the Dude could string together two coherent sentences on the subject anyway.

Another distinguished grad from the U.

Posted by: Vic1 | May 26, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Another distinguished grad from the U.

Posted by: Vic1 | May 26, 2010 2:32 PM

Don't tell me you're a Mich St. grad???

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 26, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 26, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

WaPo,

Sure the AH and Galea updates are exciting and all, but any chance you guys asked any questions relating to football/ota to Moss or any of the other players? Coaches?

Any chance of getting updates about what you saw today on the field?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 26, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Nope... WVU (79) and Troy State (84).

Posted by: Vic1 | May 26, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Moss is going to get his 4 game suspension. The athlete is responsible for knowing what goes into his body -- the "I didn't know" defense is moot. But ... the damage won't go beyond the modest suspension.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 26, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

cURZ,

Practices are closed, they see nothing.

Posted by: chrislarry | May 26, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

"Look around the office at 7pm. The guys still working -- good chance they are in the middle of a divorce, breakup, etc

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 26, 2010 2:38 PM
................

possibly true. but you'd have to consider which came first: the marital problems or the working 'til past 7?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 26, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Select the player of greater value to the future of the Washington Redskins:

a. Santana Moss

b. Albert Haynesworth

Moe goes with Haynesworth for the long-term as a strong season on his part might equal a nice bounty in draft picks next Spring.

Moe goes with Santana Moss for the short-term as his presence gives Thomas/Kelly some room to get their games tight.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 26, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

zceszcest

"Moss is going to get his 4 game suspension."

He will because PEDS/HGH is a hot-button issue right now.

Plus, if the Roger Goodell splits hairs with Moss, that makes a shammockery out of the league's drug policy--such as it is.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 26, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Be interesting to see if Goodell “wants to talk to Haynesworth”……NFL personal conduct policy surely does not condone having sex with strippers. Even if he is not the father, past precedents would seem to favor Goodell punishing him for even putting himself in the situation to have a stripper make up lies and try to sue him…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 26, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

How about Chile Please! Zcest?

Posted by: Predator48

you want to add Chile to the baby name list or see my trip pics from Chile? They really are cool pics.

Posted by: zcezcest1

Naw man I, meant "Chile Please" as in Ocho-Cinco sayin' "Chile Please".

Posted by: Predator48 | May 26, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 26, 2010 2:38 PM
................

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch

Mostly pointing out that a lot of guys spend more time at work when other aspects of life aren't so much fun. p1funk's comment at 2:24 has plenty of real world merit

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 26, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

WVU (79) and Troy State (84).

Posted by: Vic1 | May 26, 2010 2:41 PM

So what about all those violent WVU players??

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 26, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Sorry if the joke was lost, man. Enjoyed the pics tho. Looks like some killer rapids down there.

Posted by: Predator48 | May 26, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Predator you confused him with your spelling. It should have been "chil' please" with the apostrophe indicating that the "d" had been dropped. I understood but you have to be more explicit with the, shall we say, less urban set.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 26, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 26, 2010 2:42 PM
------------------------------------------
I dunno. They can't prove he took them through a blood test because it has been too long. The doctor probably didn't keep records of treatment since he was doing something illegally, so there is no proof there. The more I think about it, the more I think he might get through this thing without a suspension.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 26, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1

Thanks for the lesson learned.

Imagine that, a brother who don't know how to type in Ebonics. I drop my head in shame.

Posted by: Predator48 | May 26, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

"Redskins' receiver Santana Moss declined Wednessday to discuss today whether he received treatment "

Now let me get this straight, was it today or Wednesday?

Posted by: wireman65 | May 26, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Jason you can't be serious. Today was media day and we get nothing from Redskins Park. Everyone knows AH is getting sued. You didn't need to be at the Park to report that.

It's not NEWS that Santana didn't talk. DUH.

WHAT IS HAPPENING AT THE PARK???? Or do you go to work anymore.

Posted by: MadeRED | May 26, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 26, 2010 2:42 PM
------------------------------------------

Posted by: RedSkinHead

The commish doesn't need proof to suspend someone. Further, pretty much all sports have said it is the responsibility of the athlete to know what's going into his body.

Moss is going to get suspended for a few games. But that's the extent of the damage

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 26, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

If Santana is going to be suspended anyway, might as well take a few more hgh treatments and get that knee better!

Posted by: dbuggs | May 26, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

So what about all those violent WVU players??

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 26, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

One "poster child" for that sort of thing is (was) Pac Man Jones -- another supreme waste of talent and potential.

I'm sure there were many others.

But IMHO at least, nothing so widespread, endemic or enduring as the U.

Posted by: Vic1 | May 26, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 26, 2010 3:18 PM
------------------------------------------
Again, I dunno. Moss apparently didn't admit to taking HGH. He just said he received treatment from the guy. He never tested positive for using HGH. If the Dr. denies treating him with HGH and there is no record that he was treated with HGH, how can the league suspend him?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 26, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 26, 2010 3:18 PM
------------------------------------------

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 26, 2010 3:22 PM
-------------------------------------------
To use the case of the two Williams, there you had players that tested positive but said they didn't realize they were ingesting a banned substance. The league argued there that the player assumes the burden of knowing what goes in their body and what the banned substances are.

In the case of Moss, there is not even a positive test to hang a case on. Incidentally, the two Williams have still not missed a game for this.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 26, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Predator48

Didn't recall OchoCinco saying "Chile please" Was that on sombrero day?

And yes, the rapids on the Futaleufu are amazing. Very fun stuff. The accommodations were sweet -- here's the bar + hot tub + view

As for the whitewater, its not just my opinion...

The Futaleufu River, Chile
Ask any river runner worth his or her weight in neoprene what is the best whitewater river in South America—or for that matter, the world—and the answer will invariably be the same: Chile's Futaleufu. Described by the brochures as blending the scenery of California's Yosemite with the rapids of the Grand Canyon and water color of the Caribbean, the river crashes through the Andes on its way to the Pacific from Chile's border with Argentina.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 26, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

That was Ocho Cinco's way of sayin f*ck yoo to people who criticized him. He used the phrase a couple times in interviews last season.
Don't worry about it, I still like Li'l Stompy.

Posted by: Predator48 | May 26, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

The Futaleufu River, Chile

Posted by: zcezcest1

I rafted the New River and Upper Gauley rapids in WV a few years back, but I'd have to take out extra insurance before I set foot in that stuff!
Were you able to stay in the tube the whole time, or did you get tossed?

Posted by: Predator48 | May 26, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | May 26, 2010 3:20 PM

I think a lot of this stuff with the U has a racial element to it. Ever since Miami starting kicking butt and wore camo fatigues to a bowl game followed by "Catholics v. Criminals" games between the U and Notre Dame the 80s the school has been marked. But the U has not produced any more "criminals" than any other top football program.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 26, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

LH1 --

You may be right. Not necessarily about the racial elements, but certainly about the prevalence of criminality among all of the top programs...

Am just thinking how often some players refer to their formative years at the U... as the reason for doing what they do.

Ain’t hating, just saying...

Posted by: Vic1 | May 26, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

once again, sex for free proves more expensive than sex for money.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 26, 2010 11:54 AM

Co-sign. A few years back, I had a single co-worker who used to make monthly trips to Las Vegas. He was a regular. I used to think he was wierd, but I'm now convinced he was brilliant. Just budget that ish in, no child support, no alimony, no fights that spoil the mood....

Posted by: Alan4 | May 26, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse