Redskins rely on Portis blocking in pass protection

Even when Clinton Portis's teammates privately expressed frustration with his poor practice habits, they acknowledged he was second to none in blocking among the NFL's top running backs.

For many seasons, Portis and former Redskins backup running back Ladell Betts excelled in blitz pick up, and Portis's blocking again was outstanding in the season-opening victory over Dallas. The Redskins, and especially quarterback Donovan McNabb, will count on Portis to continue his effective blocking Sunday against the Houston Texans at FedEx Field.

"There are a lot of times where linebackers are running in the A-gaps and all of a sudden, Clinton just flies past me and gets a stalemate at the line of scrimmage," McNabb said. "He's a guy you definitely trust in the pass game."

An NFC assistant coach who has analyzed film of Portis said he still approaches blocking with passion. Portis applies maximum effort while blocking, the coach added, saying the Pro Bowl runner obviously studies his "keys" well each week because he usually is in the correct position each time while preparing to take on blitzers.

"He does a great job in picking up his keys and holding out with the offensive line as well," McNabb said. "That was definitely a major plus on the offensive side" against the Cowboys.

By Jason Reid  |  September 17, 2010; 12:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chris Cooley is hopeful for offensive improvement vs. Texans
Next: Chris Samuels continues to learn from Redskins staff

Comments

Portis = Super Guy

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

repost from yesterday on the OL play from Sunday Night. If you didn't read it, I highly recommend it.

btw..ITA pabrain

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 17, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Arian Foster=Timmy Smith? Anyone else notice the holes this guy had to run through? Colts usually don't have to worry about stopping the run with Peyton slicing opposing defenses up and leaving the opponent with no other option but to start slinging the ball around.

Posted by: Spanglerg | September 17, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Most people don't watch the games. I did watch Foster and you're right. This guy was typically 8-9 yards out before making any contact.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 17, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I was expected a stab at Portis from Reid. I guess that will be in the next post which will undoubtedly include AH...

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 17, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey Reid? Is this a throw-away thread or what? Talk about mailing one in. There has never, in his career, been any issue other than he's been one of or the best at blocking and picking up blitzing LB's in support of the passing game.

This thread is akin to saying the Colts are relying on Manning's strong arm or the Ravens are counting on Ray Lewis ball-hawking abilities.

Dude, really? I mean, seriously? Is this you basically pulling a Haynesworth and pouting and mailing it in because CP didn't genuflect at your presence and offer you extended commentary of "Packagegate"?

I can say with unbiased total honesty that there has never been one piece of the 'inside information' that I can remember hearing here, in what is called the Redskins Insider. What a misnomer. Kind of like the Lakers in LA or the Oilers in TN.

I challenge you to actually report something relevant or that no one here heard about an hour ago.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 17, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Ladell Betts did not excel at picking up the blitz. Let's not go overboard with creative license JReid.

Posted by: elfreako | September 17, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Betts excelled at blitz pickup? Really JReid? I'm embarassed for you.

Posted by: elfreako | September 17, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

You mean Poopy_McPoop.

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 11:57 AM

Dang it monk...hess is AH...you'll see!

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't care who he is, I just like busting balls.
How do I know YOU aren't Poopy or Haynesworth?

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

44, checked that out this morning. Good read indeed.

Basically from an individual performance stand point that Williams, Brown, and Hicks did well. Lickenstiger didn't impress, Dockery was okay. And Casey Waybach was getting pushed and handled by Ratliff at first, but started to contain him as the game went on.

Gotta upgrade the Center position next season. Rabach makes good pre snap reads, but but appears to be slightly average on passing and poor on running downs.

If his claim to fame is making pre snap reads, maybe he should trade in his helmet and cleats for a visor and a windbreaker.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Read above on this page a headline that reads "Avg Redskins fan IQ = 93"

Frankly, if all the career positions in NVA, MD and DC were being held by people with an avg IQ of no higher than 93 the area would have suffered insurmountably years ago from lack of incompetence running rampant!

There would be a severe shortage of competent dentists, educators, computer technicians, electrical engineers, medical doctors, medical technicians, pastors, automobile mechanics, home builders, and on and on....

AVG IQ =93?
Simply foolishness!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 17, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

You don't have to love soup to hate that trade. I think the real point to be made here is that we could have kept soup and the second round draft pick(Nate Allen) and still scored no offensive TDs.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 17, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Maybe true, but the real point is McNabb will get better as he progresses in this offense. He won't have too many games like last weekend where we only score 6 points, where as I'd say close to half of them would be 6 points if Campbell were still here, the dude has maxed out on his talent, he won't be any better than he already is.

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I don't care who he is, I just like busting balls.
How do I know YOU aren't Poopy or Haynesworth?

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 12:23 PM

Haha...I guess you don't monk...if I were Play_Action then you maybe on to something there...I just like to see those two go at it...hess gets sooooo mad.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

"New Soupster" relies on Portis' (who many fans wanted to cut forever) blocking in pass protection.

campbells' chunky soup has a new flavor

'kewl-aid with chunks of hate'

i'll never stop

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

laughing aloud; should read
"lack of competence"
guess I had "rampant incompetence" on my mind

oh well, if my IQ were no higher than 93 I wouldn't have been able to align my thoughts to construct such an insightful analysis anyway.

audible laughter!!!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 17, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"poor practice habits" - here's the stab

"Ladell Betts excelled in blitz pick up" - this was just made up

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't care who he is, I just like busting balls.
How do I know YOU aren't Poopy or Haynesworth?

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 12:23 PM

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Me too, I love to stir the pot! Hess does get mad, but did you hear Poopy the other day? He said, "Hessone, suck my c0ck, seriously"! lmao
Hilarious!

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

monk811 is scampbell75 is deezel44

your welcome poopy

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

i'll never stop

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Finally found what's worse than a Dallas troll: A Campbell Troll!!!

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

"Redskins rely on Portis blocking in pass protection"

So it's that bad?

We don't rely on a fullback for pass or solid run protection because the running back is better at the second need, but fails as the fullback fails at the 1st need.

I'd druther see CP delaying into the flat or catching 'checkdown' passes where he's crossing to the wide side of the field.

He's serve the offense better if he was more pass catching Roger Craig than a pass blocking Clinton Portis.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 17, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Man, there are some real losers in here.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 17, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

take away 3 points, call the exact same play twice on the goalline with the exact same result, only to have your new holder fumble your new snapper's snap for your new kicker.

zorn-ahan is real

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

i'll never stop

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Finally found what's worse than a Dallas troll: A Campbell Troll!!!

Posted by: monk811

finally found how our average IQ is 93

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Read above on this page a headline that reads "Avg Pennsylvania Redskin fan IQ = 35"
Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 17, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Fixed. Minus PAskinsfan17 of course.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 17, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

finally found how our average IQ is 93

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, sorry you had to scare yourself by looking in the mirror.
Should call you Chief Makum No Sense

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

red

"Gotta upgrade the Center position next season."

Agreed.

I'd like to see the teaam take a stud like M Pouncey-like the stillers did-and have a starting rookie center.

Pouncey is a very impressive player.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 17, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Bottom line is I'd still take Donovan McNabb over JC any day of the week. McNabb's stats were not pretty but he made the plays when we needed him to. He didn't make any mistakes to hurt us. I don't find any point in dwelling over JC anymore. Yes, I still check on his stats just to see how he's doing but I don't REALLY care anymore...

Posted by: rachel216 | September 17, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Pouncey is a very impressive player.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 17, 2010 12:46 PM

Moe- would you settle for Maurkice Pouncey's twin brother Mike Pouncey? He is likely a 1st-2nd RD center prospect that moved to C this year after his bro went pro.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 17, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

your welcome poopy

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 17, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 17, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I guess the short bus didn't drop pabrain off at a school that used apostrophies, and yes I spelled your User ID wrong on purpose, pabrainiac. Maybe that IQ score for Redskin fans in PA should be lower, lets say, 17. He seems to like that number.

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

pabrian: who would you rather have right now, at this moment? JC or McNabb?

Posted by: rachel216 | September 17, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I wish work peeps would leave me alone today wtf...have lots of reading to do!

I bet rachel is smokin hot!

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis is great in blitz pickup?

Thats some quality reporting!

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | September 17, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

who would you rather have right now, at this moment? JC or McNabb?

Posted by: rachel216

Anybody got a .45 and a vile of cyanide?

Thanks in advance,
Red

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I say yes to pouncey....

We need youth n athletisim on the line....

Rabach waybach is donezo....

Good call red, he needs to grab a visor, n get the hair of the field....

And as for mcnabb or campbell.....

Campbell had 5 yrs here to get no points mcnabb will own by week 5, cuz well have jackson ;)

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 17, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 17, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Fixed. Minus PAskinsfan17 of course.

Posted by: oh_boy1

For the record I [RedskinRay1] did not post the above as has been stated by "oh_boy1"

I posted the actual link headline.
I did not take a shot at any of my fellow Redskin fans who might happen to live up in PA.

We have enough disagreements as it is.
We don't need dishonesty on the part of some on this public forum.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 17, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Well monk, the lowest IQ without being mentally challenged is 71...so 17 seems about right.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I bet rachel is smokin hot!

Posted by: PlayAction

;)

Posted by: rachel216 | September 17, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I love the RI forums, especially all of the posters. Love you guys, get me stoked for Sundays! Anyone else read spaceghetto?

If you don't you should now.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | September 17, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Beeps Peeps

please leave the JC8 convo here...thanks in advance.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 17, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | September 17, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh I forgot, Campbell's number is 8 now right? Maybe that's closer to pabrainiac's score!

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone think portis will be our starter next yr???

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 17, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 17, 2010 12:19 PM
-------------------------------------
He did it here...

the very first sentence...this bum-azz dude can't help himself..he's addicted to the negative

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 17, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: elfreako | September 17, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Betts excelled at blitz pickup? Really JReid? I'm embarassed for you.

Posted by: elfreako | September 17, 2010 12:23 PM
-------------------------------------
i guess the 2nd post was your backup post....

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 17, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I don't care who he is, I just like busting balls.
How do I know YOU aren't Poopy or Haynesworth?

Posted by: monk811 | September 17, 2010 12:23 PM
---------------------------------
very good pick up Monk..that bama has been trying to hide behind many id's....play action=ah=poopy

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 17, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone think portis will be our starter next yr???

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 17, 2010 1:10 PM
--------------------------
next yr?...let get pass the next game before we start on next yr..

Posted by: jcnjcnj | September 17, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Read above on this page a headline that reads "Avg Redskins fan IQ = 93"...

AVG IQ =93?
Simply foolishness!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 |

RAY it seem obvious that this lazy scientist limited his research to Redskin fans who post on RI.

Why if it wasn't for me, thee and McPoop, it would probably be down in the low 60s.

Posted by: TheCork | September 17, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Complian all you want about Portis (which I think I have upon occasion...), but nobody can complain about his blocking. I hope K Williams is learning a thing or two watching him.

Posted by: lemming | September 17, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lemming | September 17, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

for those who missed the last episode of:
SHERRIFF GONNNA GETCHYA A DOUGHNUT.
Chief watch for sideline was just invited by Runs after catch to join in wargames...

Chief: can I watch from sideline?
C.C.:great warriors are born in wargames, how can you be great from sideline?
chief: yeah, but I got a doughnut on the way and...
C.C.: someone approaching from the south, friend of yours?

to be continued

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 17, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Pouncey is a very impressive player.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 17, 2010 12:46 PM

Hopefully that UF game against Miami of Ohio was just an aberration. He was having all kinds of trouble with shotgun snaps. Agreed about liking the idea of more young interior lineman although they need more youth in a ton of areas WR, NT, RB, DE, CB, LB, etc.

Posted by: skinswest | September 17, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Portis will be the Patriots starting RB in two years...

The minute the Redskins start paying players according to leadership ability as opposed to talent is when all of this tomfoolery will turn around.

1) Resign McNabb
2) Draft a center, guard, free safety, wide receiver, outside LB, and running back (in that order).
3) see Archuleta, Adam, Lloyd, Brandon, & Haynesworth, Albert as to why the Skins should never acquire players based on talent... LEAVE V. JACKSON ALONE!!!

Acquire free agents based on familiarity/adaptability to scheme (golden rule)...

Hail