Redskins Sign a Kicker

A quick update: The Redskins have signed kicker Dave Rayner, who has played for five teams in four NFL seasons, presumably to give Shaun Suisham some competition in training camp.

The team also signed running back-kick returner Dominique Dorsey, who played in the CFL for the last three years.

Excerpt from the wire story:

Rayner has played for five teams in four seasons since being picked by Indianapolis in the sixth round of the 2005 draft out of Michigan State. His best season came with Green Bay in 2006, when he made 26 of 35 field goal attempts.
Last season, he spent two games on Cincinnati's roster while regular kicker Shayne Graham was injured. Rayner made his only field goal attempt with the Bengals, a 26-yarder.

By Jon DeNunzio  |  February 4, 2009; 2:51 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Post-Super Bowl Blogging Break
Next: Redskins Sign Two To Futures Contracts

Comments

Posted by: follybeach | February 4, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

i'll take it. i'm more excited about dorsey. if his name was ken, he'd be our starting qb next year.

Posted by: mopp04 | February 4, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

That "blogging break" sure didn't last very long.

Posted by: NCICURN | February 4, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Working on official stories before posting to the blog WTF!!!!!

Posted by: alex35332 | February 4, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Man, the Post has given up on this blog. This post is by Jon DeNunzio. He`s what? Fifth string poster? Jasno`s number 1. Cindy`s number 2. Jason Reid`s number 3. Mike Wise is number 4. Then Jon DeNunzio?

I say we organize a boycott of whatever products are sponsoring this blog! Fitness Resources. I`m going to stop going there forever. Toyota. I`m buying a bicycle for Daggar to repair.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 4, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Would be awesome if Matt Staford fell to #13, we could for sure negotiate with Detroit if that happens.

Posted by: matthewvickers | February 4, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: matthewvickers | February 4, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse
I think he will go #1 to the Lions, #3 to the Chiefs, or #10 to 49ers. I can't imagine he falls to us.

Posted by: frediefritz | February 4, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I hope this isn't the only competition Shuishy is going to get next year, I hope we bring in a vet like Feely or sign a good kicker like Grahm from Cincy. We need a punter also, I hope they don't forget that. Lechler from Oak and Koch from Bal are available.

As far as Dorsey goes, we'll see how he looks and if he makes it to training camp.

I still want to see Devin Thomas doing some punt returns and kick off returns in the preseason, he was money at it in college... I am miffed at why he didn't get a chance to do it last year.

Posted by: avbanig | February 4, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: matthewvickers | February 4, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | February 4, 2009 3:47 PM++

#1 A. Smith DET
#3 Orakpo KC
#10 M. Sacnhez SF
#13 - M. Staffor DET from WASH.

Posted by: matthewvickers | February 4, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

DeNunzio...Isn't he the guy who always gets smacked in the head by Mark Harmon on "NCIS"???

Posted by: SportzWiz | February 4, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm no Georgia fan and I haven't even heard of Matthew Stafford until recently, but I went back and watched all his tapes and if we get him we need to trade Jason Campbell for a birthday cake and let The STAFF INFECTION BALL

Posted by: TheTruth11 | February 4, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of birthday cakes, happy birthday, Vincent Damon Furnier!

Posted by: SMACK1 | February 4, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I was reading a post about Steeler greatness. Back in the '70s, one year their draft picked up 4 HOFers. Amazing. Vinny has picked 4 HOSers in one year. Vinny - man, you have got the get the F going if you want to emulate these guys.

Posted by: AntonChigurh | February 4, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

HOSers. Heh, heh. Vinny - there is a place up North for you in the CFL. You can hang with the MacKenzie bros, eh?

Posted by: AntonChigurh | February 4, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm no Georgia fan and I haven't even heard of Matthew Stafford until recently,

Posted by: TheTruth11 | February 4, 2009 4:03 PM

Truth, look at you. You are pitiful.

I remember when you started posting up here as The Truth. You told the truth, nothing but the truth. And now look at you. You`ve been corrupted by hanging around with guys like RedDMV, Mr. Perky, Angry Old Man Jack, etc. Now you wouldn`t even recognize the truth if it came up and shined your shoes for you. Your own Mama must be asking where she went wrong.

You`re ruined, and I blame it all on the bad influences on this blog.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 4, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: matthewvickers | February 4, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | February 4, 2009 3:47 PM
Only that dufuss mel kiper has him going high, everyone else says he's not top 10 talent,or any other of the QB's comming out for that matter . I think matthew nailed it

Posted by: hcicron | February 4, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

SO WHAT THEY SIGN A KICKER AND A PR/RB!!!!
WITH NO DEFENSE/OFFENSE LINE IT WON'T MATTER IF THEY HAD MOSES BACK THERE!!!!!

Posted by: joe12341 | February 4, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

STUPID CLUB!!!!!!!

Posted by: joe12341 | February 4, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

If he can also play offensive tackle, I think it is a good deal.

Posted by: hz9604 | February 5, 2009 1:34 AM | Report abuse

Dominique Dorsey can take it to the house.

I think this is a good pickup. Its something we need and didn't have to use a pick on him. I'd have to say excellent. Only problem, they can't get into waiting and trying to groom someone into a certain player. they need to put him on the field (when they can) and let him be that guy or not that guy.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | February 5, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Only thing is does CFL talent translate well to the NFL, I don't know but speed is speed.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | February 5, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

What's better than a kicker who needs 36 attempts to make 26 field goals?

A kicker who needs 35 attempts.

WE SUCK AGAIN!