Redskins Sign Henson, Cut Cain, Smith

In addition to the release of veteran wide receiver James Thrash, the Redskins announced today they signed sixth-round draft pick Robert Henson. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Henson is the third draft pick to sign with Washington in the past two days. Cody Glenn and Eddie Williams signed four-year deals with the Redskins yesterday.

The Redskins also released long snapper Jeremy Cain and linebacker Tyson Smith.

Henson was selected No. 186 overall by Washington and finished his career at TCU with 270 tackles, four sacks, one forced fumble, and four interceptions, one of which he returned for a touchdown.

Cain signed with the Redskins on Jan. 2 and was brought in to compete with stalwart Ethan Albright. Smith signed with the Redskins on Dec. 24, 2008 and was inactive for Week 17 against San Francisco.

By Paul Tenorio  |  June 12, 2009; 4:59 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thrash Released by Skins (Updated)
Next: Redskins Sign WR Mitchell

Comments

1st!!!

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | June 12, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Makes you wonder how many more seasons Albright will play...1,2,3?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | June 12, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Best NFL rant and rave ever!

Posted by: RedDMV | June 12, 2009 4:57 PM

I would say it is in the upper echelon of rants.

*Green's They are who we thought they were

*Mora's Playoffs?!?! You kidding Me!?
Playoffs?!?

*Mora's You think you know, but you really don't know

*Mora's 'Diddly Poo' statement

*Herm's, 'YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME'

*T.O.'s 'That's my Quarterback'

That's just off the top of my head.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 12, 2009 5:13 PM

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 12, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Does "Loosen up, Sandy baby" count?

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | June 12, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

***** Dammit, if I'm only gonna post once, I'm not gonna get beeped... *****

will surpass Riggo as the best Skins back ever.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 12, 2009 4:32 PM

In my book yes. No question. And potential HOF if he keeps this up for another 4-6 years.

BUT, i don't see it that way for any fan who is 50 and older. And the local media and ESPN. The NFL Network has embraced him and his multitudes of character, though.

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 12, 2009 4:37 PM

I hope CP is the feature back on 2 SB teams. Or 1 SB team. I miss the Skins in the SB...yeah, that's where I'm going with this.
Portis likely doesn't have 4-6 years left as a stud running back...all those carries take a toll, and he's not even remotely as big as Riggo was, and he's getting hit by much bigger and faster defenders as well.

I'm not even close to 50. Getting near 40 though [I'm a man, I'm almost 40!]. And I love CPs character(s).

Posted by: 4-12 | June 12, 2009 5:10 PM

Posted by: 4-12 | June 12, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

That's just off the top of my head.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 12, 2009 5:13 PM

Well, you'll never be a great ranter. The greats don't get their rants from the top of their heads -- they're coming from a lower part of the anatomy.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 12, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Howdy all!

This is an open invitation to come to my art opening on thursday the 18th. It is at the Carrol Arts Center, 91 West Main Street in Westminster, MD, from 6:30 to 8:00 pm. More info at: www.CarrollCountyArtsCouncil.org

Sorry for the shameless self promotion, but I need to sell some sculpture.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 12, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the shameless self promotion,

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 12, 2009 5:27 PM |

Is there any other kind of self promotion?

There's self abuse, but that's different and it's not shameless but shameful.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 12, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

By the way, I make mobile sculptures. Alot like the work of Alexander Calder, but different too.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 12, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

"Riggo was the feature back on 2 SB teams, and had the most memorable play in team history."

'Zat so? I'd have picked the Kenny Houston stop on Walt Garrison.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 12, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

The way I remember it was the team was in probate and noone (not me) was running the team. Cooke's son was trying to buy the team from the estate but could not come up with the amount of cash the Danny's team put together. So we lost a couple of FA's because we could not make any offers.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | June 12, 2009 4:44 PM |

I think the estate was in probate, not the team, and that Junior was running it with the advice of Chas. Casserly. While Junior was running it, he's the one who named the stadium Jack Kent Cooke stadium. But I don't recall that the team ever had "no one" running it.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 12, 2009 4:57 PM |

JKC left the team to his philanthropic foundation which was running it until it could be sold. Who was in charge? I'm not sure I tried google but not much luck

Posted by: noonefromtampa | June 12, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Portis will surpass Riggins in terms or regualar season production -- probably by quite a lot. Riggins will likely remain the best ever because he did it in the playoffs.

And Samson, Riggins run tops Houston's stop of garrison. I do recall that game being really important, almost like it told the world that the Skins were now a team to be reckoned with.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 12, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Riggins also got into the Super Bowls later in life, as we hope Clinton will do..He could have helped more in the Super Bowl loss to the Raiders if he didn't show up with a rip-roarin' gin-rummy hangover...Jeeziz I remember one game he had to be wokin' up off a floor in Georgetown just to race to the game on time..

Posted by: frak | June 12, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I could really care less who is better....I'm happy to have a RB that can be mentioned in the same breath as Riggins. It's like comparing Marino and Manning.....I'll take either one.

Nevermind the fact that comparing a RB from the early 80's to a RB now is apples to oranges. Roster makeups were different, RB by committee wasn't what it is now, and the Skins had a GM that was able to put together a championship caliber team. Kinda pointless to even debate.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | June 12, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Here's to hoping they get all of their draft picks under contract before training camp begins. They need all of the reps they can get.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 12, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

have a great weekend all

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 12, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse