Posted at 4:48 PM ET, 12/11/2010

Redskins sign OL Erik Cook from practice squad

By Rick Maese

The Redskins have finally filled the roster vacancy created by Albert Haynesworth's suspension, signing offensive lineman Erik Cook from the practice squad.

Cook was a seventh-round pick (229 overall) out of New Mexico in last spring's draft. If they chose to activate him for Sunday's game against Tampa Bay, Cook will provide more depth on the line.

He played tackle, guard and center at New Mexico but at 6-foot-6, 320 pounds, but has seen practice reps at the interior spots with the Redskins.

He becomes the sixth interior lineman on the 53-man roster, joining Casey Rabach, Will Montgomery, Artis Hicks, Kory Lichtensteiger and Derrick Dockery.

By Rick Maese  | December 11, 2010; 4:48 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Despite small stature, Brandon Banks could be a weapon for Redskins next season
Next: Rate the Redskins against the Buccaneers

Comments

What kind of pick do you think we could get for Derrick Dockery in the offseason?

Posted by: p1funk | December 11, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

A: A pic-a-nic basket, hey, hey, boo-boo!

It's the 2011 version of a ham sandwich.

Posted by: daggar | December 11, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Personally I like Dockery, but the Shanahans don't think he fits the system. I'd hope for a 6th or 7th and make sure it's outside the division, like maybe Oakland. I really don't know what his value might be. We need whatever draft picks we can get, obviously.

Posted by: wireman65 | December 11, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 11, 2010 4:54 PM

6th or 7th. Teams will know that he doesn't fit Shanny's scheme.

Posted by: TWISI | December 11, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Finally, a return to the Cook era.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 11, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Dockery, Derrick G 6-6 325

others:
Bender, Jacob OT 6-6 316 ps
Capers, Selvish OT 6-4 308 ps
Oldenburg, Clint OT 6-5 310 ir
Williams, Mike G/T 6-6 339nonfb/ir

lichmyball & rabach are the only 2 under 300 lbs, arguably the least athletics, and smallest but shanny plays them and they suck... what gives??? 6-5/6-6 315/330 seems to be the norm... a line of sliverback, dock, cook, bmw, and jbrown would be a nice huge, athletic, and mauler oline for me...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | December 11, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Kid should be playing tackle at his size. He's too tall for center or guard. Don't know how quick his feet are, but I don't think they drafted him to play inside.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 11, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

SOURCES OFFER ADDITIONAL DETAILS ON CARLOS ROGERS' FINANCIAL PROBLEMS

ASHBURN, VA -- Anonymous sources at Redskins Park are filling a few more details on the reasons behind Carlos Rogers' financial problems.

It seems that someone saw a Mayflower moving van outside his house in Virginia -- while at the very same time another source saw an Atlas Van Line truck outside his apartment in Atlanta.

In essence, Rogers was once again exposed and embarrassed by the dreaded double move.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 11, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 11, 2010 4:54 PM

The same that we could have gotten last offseason or at the deadline...Zippy. Nobody wants anything do with a below average OG with 3 years left on a 5 year, $26.5 million contract.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 11, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1

Not bad.

Posted by: TheCork | December 11, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead |
#############################################################

cook and dock are the same size...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | December 11, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins’ roster now consists of seven rookies (including four 2010 draft picks) and a total of 19 players with one year of experience or less.

Thought this was an interesting piece of info from nfl.com and something we should be happy about going forward. I guess this team is getting younger after all. Just get rid of Daniels and Holliday, and Rabach im not going to include Fletch because he is still playing at a high level.

Posted by: wattsicon | December 11, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1

Not bad.

Posted by: TheCork | December 11, 2010 6:30 PM

But more importantly, not good.

Posted by: mack1 | December 11, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

What confuses me is, if the reason Dockery doesn't play is because he doesn't fit the scheme, then why was Mike Williams supposed to be the starting RG? He doesn't fit the "athletic" lineman mold.

Posted by: PASkinsFan1 | December 11, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wattsicon | December 11, 2010 6:56 PM

Can't "just get rid of Daniels and Holliday, and Rabach" until you have an adequate replacement. Those are three very servicable players that aren't starter quality but are great for depth.

Vonnie Holliday's birthday is today and he's actually younger than our starting QB.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 11, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PASkinsFan1 | December 11, 2010 7:10 PM

Mike Williams is kinown for having "excellent footwork". Also, as a converted tackle, he is used to having to be more mobile in his blocking than what you would expect from a guard.

Posted by: kaasmaster | December 11, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wattsicon | December 11, 2010 6:56 PM

As I mentioned last night, the roster as of right now is considerably younger than what it was at the start of the season, when we had the oldest roster in the league. If we had started the season with the roster we have right now, we would have been the 10th oldest team, Still in the upper third, but definately moving in the right direction.

Posted by: kaasmaster | December 11, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I heard an interesting interview on Parker and Parker with everyone's favorite '00's OLineman not yet in our ROH/F…Mr. Tre Johnson.

I don't know if he was playing devil's advocate, but he was on the AH side of the debate 100%. He used rhetoric like "he's entitled as a free American citizen to choose his employer" to defend his actions since May, or "now that owners have to recognize players less as property and more as individuals" to describe the AH saga's impact on future high profile contract negotiations.

Interesting take all around. Worth checking out the podcast. I only caught part of the interview, but Tre has always been a great listen whether I agree or disagree with his stance.

Even when he has his head up his ass.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 11, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead |

They totally drafted him to play inside. Why is 6-6 320 too big to play Guard? This is the NFL. Dude has Guard written all over him. I hope he plays well.

Posted by: edvar | December 11, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Newton won the heisman... I say we pass... we got too many hole to worry bout replacing any qbs

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 11, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan doesn't know what he's looking for with the o-line...he's never even had a 1000 yard back! Oh wait...

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 11, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Oh noes! The Gints can't get into Minneapolis because of the blizzard and will have to spend the night in Kansas City.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 11, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 11, 2010 9:00 PM

So...what, if you haven't won a superbowl yet, you can't have an opinion on any of this? Snap out of it. It's a BLOG.

Posted by: edvar | December 11, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

J Howard Giddings of riggosrag.com here. Someone in this discussion asked what kind of a draft pick the 'Skins could get for Derrick Dockery. Frankly, I doubt they'll wait to try - I imagine they'll waive him. He's certainly worth a 6 or maybe even a 5 to the right team. Mike Williams, his buddy, is gone too. The first couple rounds of the 2011 draft are full of goo linemen on both sides of the ball, but few great ones.

Posted by: JHG_sec405 | December 11, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Cook is a beast!

I live in Albuquerque, Cook is a Lobo. MWC is a small conference, but he was all MWC and was one of the "Hitmen." The guy can play guard, center and tackle. He knocked people down!

Trust me. He's going to be good!

Posted by: heyjoe728 | December 11, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Erik Cook = SUPER BOWL

Posted by: Section104 | December 11, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I do trust you, heyjoe728.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 11, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

freakzilla, you are by far my favorite poster.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 12, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

I do trust you, heyjoe728.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 11, 2010 11:49 PM

In heyjoe728 we trust.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 12, 2010 1:21 AM | Report abuse

JHG, thanks but no thanks. Part of our problem this season has been too many goo linemen on both sides of the ball. In fact, we just got rid of the biggest tub of goo of all.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 12, 2010 2:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JHG_sec405 | December 11, 2010 9:24 PM

Easily the worst...Hey check out my website in recent memory.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 12, 2010 2:12 AM | Report abuse

This is apropos of nothing, but I watched "North Dallas Forty" last night for the first time. Absolutely loved it. Nick Nolte and whoever played the quarterback were awesome. The head coach/Tom Landry character was played so well by the great G.D. Spradlin.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 12, 2010 2:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 12, 2010 2:04 AM

DANG it! How did I miss that one?

(Thanks, RomoLB.)

Nice one, Nate.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 12, 2010 2:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 12, 2010 2:20 AM | Report abuse

Oh ya, well I watched "The Replacements" last night and it sucked.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 12, 2010 6:10 AM | Report abuse

Stay tuned you could be watching the replacements again early this afternoon.

Posted by: stu_pid | December 12, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

I don't even trust that heyjoe728 is his real name.

Posted by: daggar | December 12, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

"Gotta love the posters who think they know more about football than Superbowl winning coaches.Posted by: rich20ssu"

That would be all of them, I think.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 12, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

"Cook is a beast!" Posted by: heyjoe728

That explains why he tried to eat Brandon Banks.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 12, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

"I live in Albuquerque," posted by heyjoe728

I thought nobody lived in Albuquerque but meth cooks. Like on Breaking Bad.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 12, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead |
#############################################################

cook and dock are the same size...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | December 11, 2010 6:33 PM
-----------------------------------------
And how's that working out for him? I'm for shorter, lower-center-of-gravity guards and centers. Put your taller guys at tackle where they can use their long arms to push defenders away. Too, isn't it harder for a 6'2" quarterback to see over a 6'6" lineman? Cook, incidentally, played every line position in college so it is not a stretch to project him at tackle.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 12, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

I don't even trust that heyjoe728 is his real name.

Posted by: daggar | December 12, 2010 8:33 AM
----------------------------------------
Yes, I think he is really heybob605 - or maybe heyjohn747...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 12, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Cook is a beast!

Trust me. He's going to be good!

Posted by: heyjoe728 | December 11, 2010 10:15 PM
-----------------------------------------
Because every week in the MWC he was going up against future NFL 1st rounders... right?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 12, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Only a fool believes:

Redskins 24

Bucks 17

There is not misspelling as I think we'll beat the Milwaukee Bucks with no problem today.

Like I said, I'm a fool who believes we will beat the Bucs.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 12, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Like I said, I'm a fool who believes we will beat the Bucs.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 12, 2010 8:58 AM |

wishing you the best of luck moe

Posted by: hessone | December 12, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Cook is a beast!

Trust me. He's going to be good!
___________________________________________

Were you at FedEx this year for the Texans' game? The dude who sat behind me at that game lives in Albuquerque.

Posted by: eanderson4 | December 12, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: eanderson4 | December 12, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Nope, that wasn't me. That was heyjon654. But, we really are all meth cooks. Breaking Bad is all true. We have to leave town to sell the stuff. I was in Detroit that weekend selling.

Posted by: heyjoe728 | December 12, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: eanderson4 | December 12, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: heyjoe728 | December 12, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse
___________________________________________

Understood. Query: How is the Meth market in Detroit? I was under the impression Meth didn't have urban appeal.

Posted by: eanderson4 | December 12, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

erik cook

Honors
• First Team All-MWC (2009)
• Second Team All-MWC (2008)

NEW MEXICO:
Three-year starter who was one of the premier offensive linemen in the Mountain West Conference and leader of the Lobos' outstanding offensive line group, dubbed The Hitmen, his final two years...first team all-MWC as senior and second team all-MWC selection as a junior...CollegeFootballNews.com rated him as the No. 4 senior center in the country entering the 2009 season...developed into a real leader up front as a junior, especially after starting QB Donovan Porterie suffered a season-ending injury in week 4...made all the line calls and blitz adjustments for the offensive line...an excellent athlete who could play any position on the line...manned the starting left tackle spot as a sophomore in 2007 and was extremely valuable as the top backup at every position up front...saw game action at tackle, guard, and center in `07 and played four of the five OL spots in a single game (vs. Sacramento State)...best position was center where he took over for `07 first team all-MWC honoree Vince Natali...39 career games with 33 starts (23 at C, 9 at OT, 1 at OG)...broke his right wrist during the final week of training camp in 2007 and taught himself to snap with his left hand the rest of the season when he played center...split time with an injured Natali late in the 2006 season...made tremendous progress on the field and in the weight room over his final two years...max of 348 in the power clean and 500 in the squat...selected to play in the Texas vs. The Nation all-star game and earned an invite to the NFL Combine.

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | December 12, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX

Wasn't the guy that played QB Mac Davis? Davis actually made Dandy Don out to be a real clown and the guy that plated the Roger Staubach character really did him good, too.

Posted by: Jurgensen9 | December 12, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

See, Diesel , punks are like Gnostic monks, they see right through all the crappe and know all things, going right through the flourescent wormholes and black holes of the space-time fabric..

Take my anthem the Fugazzas made for me, they are totally psychick, knowing all things, as it was, is and ever will be, forever , Amen..

Posted by: frak | December 12, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Russellmania09 RT @RedskinsDotCom:

#Redskins inactives are in:

WR Austin, CB Rogers, S Landry, RB Brown, OL Cook, G Dockery, DE Jarmon. Beck is 3QB.

2 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Posted by: TWISI | December 12, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: TWISI | December 12, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: eanderson4 | December 12, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Well, Detroit is surroiunded by the rest of Michigan. The Detroit burbs are also a hot bed. It was a busy weekend.

Posted by: heyjoe728 | December 12, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse