Redskins' Starters Go 6 Plays on 1st Drive

Washington's offensive starters lasted six plays and gained two first downs on their first series against the Baltimore Ravens. The first downs both came on short passing plays, a 12-yard checkdown pass to running back Ladell Betts (who started in place of Clinton Portis) and an 11-yard throw to Chris Cooley.

The drive, probably the most interesting of the game for fans, ended after an overthrown incompletion in the direction of second-year receiver Devin Thomas (who started in place of Santana Moss), a four-yard Betts carry to the right side, and an incompletion intended for free agent receiver Marques Hagans. The Virginia product has impressed coaches during training camp, and he went up high for Jason Campbell's pass near the sidelines, but it went through his hands. It would have been an outstanding catch, but it's the sort of play a free-agent hopeful will probably think about all night.

The offensive line included presumed starters Chris Samuels, Derrick Dockery, Casey Rabach and Stephon Heyer, plus second-year guard Chad Rinehart, in for the injured Randy Thomas. The unit provided adequate protection in its six plays, though the two carries for four yards won't do much to alleviate concerns.

On the second drive, it was three and out for the starters.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 13, 2009; 7:50 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins' Scratches Include Randy Thomas
Next: Redskins Not Sharp in 1st Quarter

Comments

Maps.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 13, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

throw it downfield!!!!!!!!!! just once

Posted by: skins1110 | August 13, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

No major injuries to the starters.... good!

Posted by: Alan4 | August 13, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Can we start the Fire Zorn chants yet?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 13, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

This is not looking good for the O

Posted by: jm220 | August 13, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Sonny said JC missed Devin Thomas open down field on the completion he made to ARE. Can that be confirmed by anyone watching?

Not sure I like the offense going three and out against mostly second-team defensive guys.

Posted by: CDon | August 13, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Sonny suggested Devin Thomas had blown past his man and woulda had a TD and the play Campbell threw to ARE

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

3 throws in a row at Tryon.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 13, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Ladell "The Bus" Betts: http://twitpic.com/dsh1h

Posted by: CindyBoren | August 13, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

The D allowed a 13 play drive too, wtf? The WR missed a pass for a TD that hit him in the chest and the D escaped with a field goal allowed. Ughhh!!!

The Offenese is offensive and will be til they get a stout O-line. IMHO

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 13, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

tryon blows

Posted by: skins1110 | August 13, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Tyron is getting roasted...

Posted by: cocodc1 | August 13, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

middle zone is open all night.. wtf

Posted by: cocodc1 | August 13, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Ladell "The Bus" Betts: http://twitpic.com/dsh1h

Posted by: CindyBoren

Is this some sort of tribute to the "Bus" by Betts or a moron in the Skins Organization?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 13, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Looks like both the 'Skins offense and defense are in mid-season form.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 13, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

was thinking about the jints 5 man front. I suspect it'll be very effective against a lot of teams ... but the Skins might be OK vs it. You defeat a 5 man front by getting wide ... WR screens and stuff we do. You want to throw wide to the RBs. And you run wide which is really helped if you have a FB, which we do.

I do think a lot of teams that rely on longer pass plays won't have much fun when tuck and osi are both coming from the same area!! See romo

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

You have to remember that Al and Rogers are not in the game

Posted by: jm220 | August 13, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow. I wish I could see this game so I could know if things are going as badly as they seem to be. Seems like the Skins aren't playing that well tonight.

Posted by: CDon | August 13, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 13, 2009 8:14 PM
-------------

This is the same organization that has Danny-the-boy-wonder as owner, Vinny as GM, the same team that signed B. Lloyd and Archeletta to dumb deals.

Tribute or moron? What do you think?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 13, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Tryon is getting beaten like a drum.

Posted by: CindyBoren | August 13, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

tryon could not cover randle el

Posted by: skins1110 | August 13, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Gain of 16 by McGahee. I don't like much of anything about this here game.

Posted by: CindyBoren | August 13, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Looks like both the 'Skins offense and defense are in mid-season form.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 13, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty confident that I don't like you.

Posted by: buke | August 13, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Carrion, my wayward son...there'll be peas when you are done.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 13, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Oh, wait. Correction: I like the fact that the Skins held the Ravens to three.

Posted by: CindyBoren | August 13, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty confident that I don't like you.

Posted by: buke | August 13, 2009 8:17 PM
----

And your tecate reference said all I need to know about you.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 13, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Skins giving up big gains on third down again. That is truly mid-season form. Defense is being abused, it seems. And if this is how Tryon is going to perform, he's not going to make it out of camp with this team.

Posted by: CDon | August 13, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

@buke, poopy_mcpoop only makes the same negative comments over and over again on this board and the terps board. he never has any thing original to add. I do not think any one likes him.

Posted by: skins1110 | August 13, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

There are more holes in Tryons game than a $30 dollar prostitute... With a piercing fetish... and a heroin habit... and... 3 anuses...

Posted by: Club320 | August 13, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

'm pretty confident that I don't like you.

Posted by: buke | August 13, 2009 8:17 PM
----

And your tecate reference said all I need to know about you.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 13, 2009 8:18 PM
=====================================

Shorter McPoop: Let's Just Be Enemas!
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 13, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

@club320, wow!!!! horrible but so true

Posted by: skins1110 | August 13, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skins1110 | August 13, 2009 8:19 PM
-----

your mom likes me.

I like how to be "not-liked" on any of these blogs all you have to do is be critical of a team ('Skins, Terps, etc.). Heavens to betsy fans expect the teams they root for to succeed and not wallow in perpetual mediocrity.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 13, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I guess O-line was OK tonight. Seems Betts missed the block when JC was really rushed on the Skins last drive. Looking for positives out of the offense.

Posted by: CDon | August 13, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I can't see the game here in Oakland... sounds like our boys aren't winning the 1 on 1 battles?

Posted by: Alan4 | August 13, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

game 1 in the preseason is about sorting wheat from chafe ... sounds like Tryon is chafe

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: CindyBoren | August 13, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

no one asks you to be miss sunshine about every thing just add some thing, any thing original!!! I have no problem w/ criticism of the terps or the redskins, 99% it is deserved. But you do not EVER have any thing original to add to the conversation.

Posted by: skins1110 | August 13, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

O-line was OK? I can't see the game, but I see Betts rushed 4 times for 7 yards. That doesn't sound OK.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 13, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Oh, wait. Correction: I like the fact that the Skins held the Ravens to three.

Posted by: CindyBoren

That's not exactly how it went down. the WR dropped a pass that hit him in the chest. Not great D IMO. The D was lucky to escape with giving up 3.

I know no game planning, starters missing etc... same for Ravens though and the way the D is getting handled shows how pathetic our O is, again only in my opinion.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 13, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 13, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I expect a winning team too but you're venemous diatribes remind me of the nut-jobs that populate congressional town-halls and pontificate about this great country turning into russia because they've watched too much Glenn Beck. Let's relax a little, it's the first preseason game being played without a bunch of the starters...

Posted by: buke | August 13, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Are any sites posting a live blog or play by play? I'm in NC at the beach and can't get em.

Posted by: Jahswim | August 13, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse