Redskins Take a Break Today

For the Redskins, it's time to look ahead to Week 2 and the New Orleans Saints, even while we watch the Week 1 games. Players are off today, then resume what's closer to a regular weekly schedule (used by teams that play on Sundays). So expect no practice news today. They'll practice tomorrow, then take off Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Mike Wise filed a report from the Sean Taylor auction Friday night. Proceeds went to a trust fund for his daughter, Jackie.

And Jason Campbell tells Jason Reid that switching to a shotgun formation is a possibility. "I was really happy to hear him say that, because I like the shotgun," Campbell said. "The shotgun gives me the chance to do some different things than when you're under center. Right now, we're all still learning this new offense and adjusting to it, so anything that can help us get to where we want to be, I'm all for it."

We'll be keeping an eye on fans in the wake of the new fan conduct policy instituted by Roger Goodell. Mark Maske is covering Dallas at Cleveland and Amy Shipley gets to watch the Jets play the Dolphins. We'll keep an eye on Hurricane Ike, see if it sends the Saints up here earlier in the week. And the NFL Gameday gang will be twittering. Of course, I'll be twittering, too, on the Redskins Insider feed. I'll be focusing on NFC East games, Saints. Could someone please push me over 100?

By Cindy Boren  |  September 7, 2008; 12:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Smoot Shoots for Home Opener
Next: Matching Up With Saints, NFC East

Comments

Congrats. You know the term "sport."

Now look up sportsmanship.

I'm always impressed by some brave poster trotting out machor phrases like: "it's a contact sport." Tell you what, why don't you tell Kiwanuka to his face he should try another sport. I'm sure he'd get a big chuckle, probably invite you out for a brew with him.

Samuels is not a dirty player, and what he did was likely from exhaustion mixed with frustration and bad judgement.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 7, 2008 12:17 AM
------------------------

Must be a symptom of being a RI "regular," eh, old sport?

I can just as easily send you a case of Kleenex too, just like the one I'm sending to Kiwanuka.

Next time, butch up, cupcake.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 7, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Eagilrs vs Rams, or whatever's on CBS?

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 7, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Difference betweeen Favre and Taylor. Brett will not say now if he will be back next year. Taylor said he will come back.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 7, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Favre annoys me. So far, I like Strahan. Whatcha think? Jimmy is positively svelte. And, to review, I still hate the King, still love the Verizon guy and the freecreditreport guy.

Posted by: cindy | September 7, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I should just go work from Summers: All I have is jets-fish (mammals) and iggles-rams.

Posted by: Cindy | September 7, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Dauphine,
I would think that NFL Season Ticket would be a business expense.
4th would have details.
Not sure if the frosty beverages would be expensable too, but they would help the 'flow' of the conversation UpHere.

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 7, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Matt Ryan's first NFL pass goes 82 yards for a TD to Michael Jenkins.

Posted by: Cindy | September 7, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one up here who watches Brett Favre and thinks "That's how Jason Campbell will look in a few weeks"?

Am I the only one up here who thinks that George Bush will be remembered as a great President?

Am I the only one up here who has taken too many of the wrong drugs?

Posted by: motivator | September 7, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

McNabb is accurate and healthy. Westbrook is a stud. Gonna be a long season...

Anything to get JC comfortable with the WCO should be attempted. The receivers should do their part and catch the ball.

Posted by: Whambulance | September 7, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one up here who has taken too many of the wrong drugs?

Posted by: motivator | September 7, 2008 1:27 PM

Do you fill your bong water with Kool-Aid?

Posted by: Whambulance | September 7, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

losing all 4 of my bets....

I took

Cinc, MIA, DET, AND STL +9.5

WTF

Posted by: DAMN | September 7, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Zorn should have those lazy ass Deadskins out practicing yesterday in the rain and wind and today in the sun. They get a day off when they win and put forth the effort expected of a professional in the NFL. They didnt on Thurs.

On thing decent on TV today was 4' Deadskin show with Lindsay Czarniak in a short black skirt. bebe needs to dress her and her skirts need to be at least 4in shorter. And babe get rid of new hair style

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't have said it better myself! I was thinking excatly tyhat when I read it on the post. WTF! At the very least, JC wshould be running drills about how to take 3-step drops, and throw. Maybe we need to rig a football with a low,(not dangerous) but noticeable voltage that will go off at 3.1 seconds as a GENTLE reminder.

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 7, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Eagles look sharp today
and I can't believe it but so do the Falcons

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

who is Lindsay Czarniak?

btw, sorry about my typing.

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 7, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

the saints looked like worldbeaters on the opening drive, but have slowed down. not sure if it's them or the Buc's D? I am not watching it real close.

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 7, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

who is Lindsay Czarniak?

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 7, 2008 2:05 PM

She's the blonde hottie who replaced George Michaels as the Channel 4 sports guy a few years ago.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous

thanks, I don't live in the DC area, therefore i don't get the local programming.

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 7, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

the rams blow. philly is philly.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

How can the Rams "blow"? They're running the Al Saunders offense. They suck.

Posted by: motivator | September 7, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

What's the difference between Kyle Boller and Jason Campbell? About 45 minutes on I-95, depending on direction and traffic....

Posted by: Jokes | September 7, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

the rams D blows.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Desean Jackson is lighting up the stats. A rookie WR contributing to the team...

Posted by: Whambulance | September 7, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

i'm getting me a $$ kicked in FF...carson palmer has -1 points...and stephen jackson...all i can say is...the iggles look down right scary...

Posted by: dealer | September 7, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

just took a quick look at my FF. I'm trailing by 71 points. 4th has Michael Turner lighting up the board. Plus the Steelers defense.

For me Maurice Morris has 3 FP

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 7, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Sympathy to Redcoat for the flogging the fish are taking.

Posted by: Cindy | September 7, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

As I'm watching the Jets game today, I couldn't help noticing all the plays made by CB Dwight Lowery. He is a rookie drafted in the 4th round out of San Jose State. Quite a contrast to all of our wasted picks.

Posted by: #44 | September 7, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

al, do yo know how to get to your team once you're logged in? i can get in from my phone but not thru a regular browser...can you post the url please?

Posted by: dealer | September 7, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

nm! i got in. bret favre vs. matt cassle (sp?)...any news on brady?

Posted by: dealer | September 7, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: #44 | September 7, 2008 3:40 PM

Don't you know anything about the draft? The Jets only took him because Tryon was gone. They had even tried to trade up to get Tryon, but couldn't pull it off. Once Tryon gets on the field you'll forget about about Lowery.

Posted by: d-bag | September 7, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

hold on to that thought cindy...here come the fish...

Posted by: dealer | September 7, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato's picks look very weak now.

NFC East

Giants SB Champs
Eagles On a roll...
Boys They will be very good.

Six games with these teams this year. Does any onyone think we'll do better than 2-4, AT BEST?

If the Skins don't compete this year, The Taylor trade looks really wasted.

That was a 2nd round pick!

Posted by: GAD | September 7, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Sympathy to Redcoat for the flogging the fish are taking.

Posted by: Cindy | September 7, 2008 3:39 PM

Redcoat's loving it. Only masochists are 'Phins phans. "Oh, baby, beat us harder!"

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 7, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Eagles On a roll...

Posted by: GAD | September 7, 2008 3:47 PM

The Eagles beat the Rams! Man, they must have a powerhouse in Philly! We're doomed!

Posted by: d-bag | September 7, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Big days today for Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Desean Jackson and Lowery.

Posted by: Cindy | September 7, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

here come the fish!

Posted by: dealer | September 7, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Big days today for Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Desean Jackson and Lowery.

Posted by: Cindy | September 7, 2008 3:56 PM

Vinny should have picked all of them.

Posted by: d-bag | September 7, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

ohh so close...sorry rc

Posted by: dealer | September 7, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

here come the fish!

Posted by: dealer | September 7, 2008 3:58 PM

Dealer, you say the funniest things! LMAO!

Posted by: motivator | September 7, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

ty moti!
but check it out...they (nola) turned reggie bush into a WR....8 rec 100+ yards and 1 TD.

vince young is just crazy...the dude just wins...his stats are probly the worst in the league for a starting qb...

Posted by: dealer | September 7, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

So the Fish did make it intesting at the end. Redcoat has that going to him.

Posted by: Cindy | September 7, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

So the Fish did make it intesting at the end. Redcoat has that going to him.

Posted by: Cindy | September 7, 2008 4:13 PM

Fish look a lot better than last year. They look like a team headed in the right direction. They've taken two steps forward.

Posted by: motivator | September 7, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

They do look better. I agree.

Posted by: Cindy | September 7, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

+++And I'm always impressed by low-rent maggots such as yourself, who end up whining about the poster rather than the validity of the post.+++--Mr.Redskin21

First of all, I'm a "high-rent maggot," NOT a "low rent maggot" as you claim. But nice put down--who's advising you, H.L. Mencken? Going the maggot route shows imagination, stretching your intellect to its outter reaches. I am, how you say, flattered.--CORKCZAR

+++Must be a symptom of being a RI "regular," eh, old sport?+++

Yeah, sure, whatever. You're the one on the creative tear...

+++I can just as easily send you a case of Kleenex too, just like the one I'm sending to Kiwanuka+++

Don't bother. Deliver both cases to Kiwanuka. Tell him what you said. He can use the Kleenex to wipe up your blood..

+++Next time, butch up, cupcake.+++

I'm sorry, you've SO rocked me with your earlier zingers, I got nothin' (Actually I do, but fubbal is on, so I got better things.)

Posted by: Corkczar | September 7, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
D. Brees 23/32 343 3 1

Our DB's better be on their game Sunday...

Posted by: GAD | September 7, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Right now, a 1-4 start for the 'skins would look good. Dont' see them beating Philly or Dallas. Should beat either Az or NO, probably the always dependable Redskins pick-me-ups, the Cardinals.

I just hope the roucgh startd doesn't turn this board snarky.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 7, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Our DB's better be on their game Sunday...

Posted by: GAD | September 7, 2008 4:27 PM

Tryon's rested and ready! He's stepping up big.

Yeah, the D was on the field 35 minutes against the Giants. Not sure they'll be ready by next Sunday.

Posted by: motivator | September 7, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

dealer you're still giving VY way too much credit. The Titans D had seven sacks and two picks. Plus the rookie RB Johnson had a big game. The Titans win in spite of VY not because of him.

Posted by: LH | September 7, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling the girls/Browns game is going to be quite a display of offense.

Posted by: LH | September 7, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Funny...i thought the redskins took a break Thursday night.

Posted by: OneAndDoneZorn | September 7, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer | September 7, 2008 3:40 PM

Once you log in to espn, there is a fantasy football tab. Click on it. On the right side of the page, in darn small print, you'll see "League of Anon ..." and your team name. Its not obvious, buts thats how I get there

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I just hope the roucgh startd doesn't turn this board snarky.

Well, it's a little late for that, Sparky!

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 7, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I've pulled within 56 point of 4th. Michael Turner had a monster game for him. At least I have more upside with whats left.

He's got Berrian tomorrow, Antonio Gates, kicker Gould and the Browns HC.

I've got Rivers at QB, Fitzgerald & Wayne. D Williams and C Taylor as RBs, + the SD defense/teams.

We both had guys get 3 FP and then go down with injuries. For me, it was Maurice Morris ... for 4th, it was Tom Brady!! Ouch

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 7, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Fins improvement was a safe bet, they couldn't have gotten much worse.

Plus this is the Tuna Fins, certainly an upgrade from last year.

Posted by: stumped | September 7, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

How freakin weird and creepy are these Gates/Seinfeld Circus Shoes commercials?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

King commercial...can't watch.

Posted by: Cindy | September 7, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

The "Reverse Pickpocket" is kinda funny.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Somewhere down under, kost is doing a little Australian jig.

Posted by: SMACK | September 7, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

The King frightens me.

Posted by: Cindy | September 7, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

The Fox promo with the roller coaster coming out b/w the gap in Strahan's teeth is pretty funny, too.

Wonder if he was consulted on that?

Posted by: Not Anonymous | September 7, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

In regards to the thread, the shotgun is a good idea for JC. They should always runa no huddle, the less he has to think, the better.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 7, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 7, 2008 5:44 PM

I concur. When they put him in no huddle last year, it yielded good results time and time again. And since the coach doesn't know when to use a 2min offense, what better way just to use it the whole game?

Posted by: ga8085 | September 7, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I watched the Eagles game.

They look great in part because the Rams secondary couldn't stop DeMatha, let alone an NFL offense.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 7, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

looking for something else, i found this:

Posted by: Cindy | September 7, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

This is what I was looking for ... the Strahan signal:

Posted by: Cindy | September 7, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Geelong advances ... Kost is lovin it

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 7, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

You guys are onto something.

What better way to work on JC's quick release than to put the whole offense into a quick tempo.

The shotgun will improve his vision of the D too.

Posted by: stumped | September 7, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Cowboys are loaded. There is no stopping them, unless they stop themselves, and I don't believe they'll do that.

This is a rebuilding year for the Redskins -- players and coaching staff.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Cowboys are playing awful. Romo looks like crap.

Uuhh...not.

My goodness, the Dallas team - today - would absolutely humiliate the Redskins.

They are not even in same league of play.

Posted by: GAD | September 7, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LH | September 7, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Cheer up Redskins fans. You've got some good memories to savor through some more dry years. Never lose heart. Ya'll aint as bad as ya'll could have been.

Slim in Big D

Posted by: Slim Pickins | September 7, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Felix Jones, A FREAKIN ROOKIE, slams thru for a touchdown.

Meanwhile, our rookies are trying to get on the field, stay healthy, and line up correctly.

We had 3 round 2 picks.

Maybe trading away another round 2 for JT was no big deal afterall.

Posted by: GAD | September 7, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Virginia, this is a rebuilding year for the Redskins.

Posted by: stumped | September 7, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Cowboys OL is fat and slow. I'm not worried about them, if we can just iron out some kinks in our blocking schemes and get our flankers more involved in 12-18 yard routes, we'll be fine.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Dear Anonymous,

You drinking cherry or Lemon-line flavor tonite?

Posted by: GAD | September 7, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

the chargers, panthers game is on and the panthers look real good this year. I've lived in the carolina's for 20 years ow after living in alexandria areathe prior 20+. the panthers have grown on me for two reasons;

the skins continue to be run by bafoons with billions, and the panthers have more heart than the skins of late. plus the reporting is more realistic with less agenda. I took my son, 6 at the time to a Skins/Panthers agme in Charlotte and the Panthers fans were polite. Imagine that happening anywhere else!

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 7, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

He's drinking a warm bucket of cheesy barf. I'm actually watching that game and that offensive line is like a forest of sequoia trees running downhill. It reminds me of the Hogs...which reminds me of the Skins...which reminds me of why I'm fwasterated with this team that seems to be stuck in turnpike-strength concrete.

Posted by: Bud Jackson | September 7, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 7, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I am of the opinion that most fans suppressed their outrage during the Gibbs era.

They believed in the legend.

Now the debt comes due.

If the Skins get torched by the Saints, this town will freaking launch.

Posted by: GAD | September 7, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Romeo. Romeo. Wherefore art thou brain Romeo?

Posted by: LH | September 7, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

19-10 panthers over chargers in san diego, 4th quarter, 8 minutes left.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Well: Mcnabb #1, Romo #2; Manning #3, JC #4 and dropping.....

Posted by: 4th in the East | September 7, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

I tend to agree with GAD on the suppression of anger thing during Gibbs 2.0.

Posted by: Cindy | September 7, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

anyone else wonder why the bad luck cloud hangs over our head? we've had bad luck with draft choices, bad luck with many free agenst, and even the legendary coach, Gibbs couldn't get it turned around.
I personally think that he could, but the climate has changed so much in recent times, ie; players don't listen like they used to, the PC world we live in means you can't do/say but just so much or it may offend them, boo hoo. JKC was no piece of cake to work for, but it seems DS just may have him beat. I didn't like hearing it as a Skins fan, but Colin Cowherds commentary Friday about the Skins was spot on.

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 7, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Well then it's unanimous because I agree as well. Skins fans would not have suffered JG's ultra conservative dull and defensive play-calling if it had been any other coach. I expect Zorn to open up the throttle this week and unleash Thrash and Co.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Thrash? I'm sure the D-coordinators at NO aren't able to sleep fearing what he may to to them, ARE too for that matter. Our Wr's are sooo average.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

longsufferingskinsfan,

Luck has nothing to do with it.

Snyder has never hired a football professional to run his team. This was by design. He made his fortune marketing t college kids - he knows very little about running a NFL team.

A true front office pro would have made wise choices in April and this team would be in the mix.

Gibbs was a joke. Honestly.

So, get off luck and start talking about arrogance and stupidity.

Posted by: GAD | September 7, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Cowboys start every season looking like worldbeaters. Until they get in the playoffs.

The NFC East has been the same for a few years now--Cowboys score points. Eagles score points. Skins look like champs when they can ever get 21 points out of their offense, but it happens too rarely. Giants don't score a lot of points, but their offense can hold the ball for long stretches and doesn't exhaust the defense with a bunch of 3 and out punts.

If Zorn's offense gets to the point where it can either score 21 points a game or hold the ball for long drives and score 17, this team will be fine. We can make a serious run.

If not, it will look like every other frustrating season for the past 8-10 years, where we have a shot in every game because of pretty solid defense and break about .500.

Posted by: Alan | September 7, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

LOL same old norv team!!!! "stunning!!!" TD panters no time left!

Posted by: dealer | September 7, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

lh, you might be right. only one way to findo out...plug someone else in and see if they still win...

Posted by: dealer | September 7, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

The Cowboys showed me nothing, nothing to be afraid of. 30 first downs to Cleveland's 11 is not as impressive as it appears when you consider that the Brownies are not exactly a top-flight team. We barely lost to last season's SB Champs in their house. Trust me, the Skins are working overtime to reinvigorate the offense and settle down the QB. If I'm the Saints I will be expecting 60 minutes of pressure, because the Skins don't want to go 0 and 2. Everybody just lie back and relax.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

We are the worst team in the East. Way to draft DeSean Jackson aholes. He will have more today than our 3 2nd rounders have all year.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 7:19 PM

Yep, they showed nothing.

No downfield game. No power running game
in the red zone.

Romo's arm looked weak. Their line was porous - he had no time to throw the ball.

Anonymous, are you on crack? The Boys would have horse-whipped the Skins if they played today!

It would have been called half-way thru the 3rd Q.

Posted by: GAD | September 7, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

No talk of Brady's torn ACL?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

GAD,

I agree, not luck really, but there is an element of that in every game. Which way the ball bounces, do your DB's actually catch that INT?
No arguement at all with the FO being Bafoons. See my earlier post. Gald to see the Panthers beat Norv and the Chargers in San Diego on the last play of the game. Really a good game, could it be a preview of the SB??

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 7, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

GAD,

OK smarty jeans, what's your solution to the Skins problems? Let's play you're the GM, what's your move bro? Lay down a specific plan to make the playoffs this year while simultaneously rebuilding this team into the dynasty that JK Cooke built.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Lisa pick Carolina to win it all?

Posted by: stumped | September 7, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

The Skins do not have to beat the Saints. They, however, must play well and show significant improvement.

The Skins must win one of the next two games at home. If they don't, they are staring at 0-5 and a potential coaching change mid-season.

Yep, Snyder will revisit his decision in quick order if the wheels come off.

Posted by: GAd | September 7, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

GAD,

You're ducking the challenge my man.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

You guys are onto something.

The shotgun will improve his vision of the D too.

Posted by: stumped | September 7, 2008 6:13 PM

I've been sayin' it for 2 years. JC moves the offense down the field in no huddle, he just blows up in the redzone when they start calling timeouts and letting him think too much.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 7, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

GAD,

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 7:39 PM

Easy answer.

Girlfriend,

First of all, fire Cerrato. He is the quiet laughing-stock of the league. Three receivers in the 2nd round was almost a spit-take move.

Hire a true pro to run the team as GM. There's plenty of talent out there..

It's too late now, but Zorn probably needs to be kicked back and we need to get an experienced coach in here. Fassel is not a bad choice.

Playoffs this year are not even in sight, so you prevent an impossible scenario. By managing the front office coorectly, the Skins can be competitive in 2-3 years.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

++++Gibbs was a joke. Honestly.

So, get off luck and start talking about arrogance and stupidity.

Posted by: GAD | September 7, 2008 7:00 PM++++

If you want to talk about arrogance and stupidity, no better place to start than with your statement: "Gibbs was a joke. Honestly."

Posted by: Corkczar | September 7, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Zorn needs an Offensive Coordinator to call plays. He should remain the QB coach and Head Coach, but he's trying to take on way too much by trying to do all three.

This was obvious before preseason started.

He has the leadership skills to succeed.

I'm sure after being stiffed twice, Fassell is anxious to talk with the FO.

Posted by: stumped | September 7, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Anon, part of what you say makes sense and part I don't like at all. Vinny is not the answer, but hopefully he has enough good people around him to help. As far as Zorn and Fassel, no thanks. Don't want some reheated washout coach that just moves environment. We need new blood. Zorn is smart, he'll catch up. He just needs to ask for a little help on the sidelines until he's where he needs to be.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 7, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Corkczar,

Gibbs was a disappointment...

When, early during his 2.0 tenure, he let Portis CHANGE OUR UNIFORM AT HOME, I knew he was 'worthless and weak'.

Afterall, its called an UNI-form.

He was unimaginitive, out-of date, overly conservative, and anything but inspiring.

Ironically, without the tragic Taylor incident, the Skins would have not made the playoffs last year.

This is an arguable point, but I have no doubt its true.

Posted by: GAD | September 7, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Brady down for the year; torn ACL.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

He has the leadership skills to succeed.

Posted by: stumped | September 7, 2008 7:56 PM

This I'll agree with.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 7, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Since he has an offensive assistant, Chris Meidt, he should have him studying some time management techniques and challenging as well. Delegate authority and then use the knowledge.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 7, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Used the Direct TV to watch much of the Saints and the Cardinals games. I still think 1-4 is possible for the first five, but certainly not a lock. Looks more and more like Zorn will be matching Gibbs' start.

The skins can't expect to beat Philly or the 'pokes on the road and next week doesn't look good. The saints have a lot of weapons. Don't see the Redskins keeping up with that offense. Let's hope McAllister isn't back.

Particularly hate going into a game against Drew Brees with three out of four starting DB's still rounding into shape from injuries.

The Cards have time to self destruct, but Warner is scary and it looks like they may have the weapon to use against the Redskins greatest defensive weakness--a control-the-clock power running game.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 7, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

I think Zorn has potential, though I would have preferred a former Redskin (e.g. Grimm). The problem with our team is the average-ness of the players. Are you telling me our receivers are playmakers? Their not even collective playmakers ala the Fun Bunch. Our lines are average at best and our QB is not ready for prime time...too stiff, too Bledso-ish. You could hire Vince Lombardi and he couldn't get the Skins to win without better key players (oh I forgot, we already tried that once).

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

++++I just hope the roucgh startd doesn't turn this board snarky.-_CORKCZAR, earlier

Well, it's a little late for that, Sparky!

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 7, 2008 4:50 PM+++++++

Oh Nooooooooooooo, Mr. Bill, it's starting already!

Posted by: Corkczar | September 7, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

I can't understand why anyone would try and predict what the Redskins will do against NFC East opponents based on the opening week.

Division games are always tough. The Redskins have as good a chance to win against Dallas and Philly, and vice-versa.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 7, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I caught some of the action today and now i feel like this is going to be a long, long season. Our division may truly be the best in football and Thursday we got a head start reaching the cellar. Our young guys are look injury prone and our vets are pretty old--not their fault--but we are sort of aged and it seems to really show most to me on the O-line. We don't have a "possession" style receiver on the field really, yet, and worst of all, J Campbell really looked lost out there. Maybe the G-men are better on D than they looked to me but otherwise i think it's a tough couple years coming. Sorry for the whining.

Posted by: Cookie | September 7, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

+++++++The WCO generally doesn't use shotgun setups. Plus, what good is the shotgun or any other formation, if the QB is incapable of making quick, instinctive decisions. JC's problem has always been holding the ball too long. That has to be fixed first.

Posted by: LH | September 7, 2008 6:22 PM+++++++

Sssssh. The NFC East generally doesn't use the WCO offense.

It's the home of enormo offensive lines, power running, brutal D. All that stuff that pays off when the chilly winds blow.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Sure feels gloomy.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Guess now we'll find out if Bellichek is the genius coach so many have annointed him to be without Brady.

I want us to win as much as possible but honestly I want us to get better even if we lose . . . sounds idiotic I guess but I worry that if it appears that the wheels have come off and Zorn is shown the door who in their right mind is going to come coach this team? We're on the cusp of becoming the Raiders of the NFC.

If the sky does indeed fall then Snyder best have the cojones to clean house in the FO and really do a rebuild from scratch. Otherwise this spit ball and duct tape approach with Cerrato makes the albatross bigger and heavier.

Posted by: sfskin | September 7, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Folks you are not going to believe this.
Norv Turner just finished his Presser.
Carolina scored on the very last play on a TD pass to win 26-24.

Norv during the presser actually said:
You guessed it!

"They had a play to make...
they made a play...."

the more some things change in life,
the more some things never change.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 7, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

+++++We had 3 round 2 picks.

Maybe trading away another round 2 for JT was no big deal afterall.

Posted by: GAD | September 7, 2008 6:22 PM++++++

You're right, of course, because trading away draft choices for aging vets has worked out so well for Danny's Warriors in the past.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 7, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Question: how could the Redskins have missed reading and following the current road map to success in the NFL - size. Size on the lines, size in receivers, size in linebackers, etc.

The future is size. The Skins are living in the past. The Skins are small.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

+++++I remember when the Browns were trading away all those draft picks for stars and look what it got 'em. At the time the media were pro-Brown: "clever trades that will make 'em a contender."

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 7, 2008 6:35 PM+++++

Yup, so fascinated we get to watch them five times in prime time.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 7, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

+++++We had 3 round 2 picks.

Maybe trading away another round 2 for JT was no big deal afterall.

Posted by: GAD | September 7, 2008 6:22 PM++++++

Posted by: Corkczar | September 7, 2008 8:13 PM

The problem is that the FO believes that we can contend now. Shoulda used what we had and got them experience and saved the draft picks.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 7, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

After watching Dallas anyone else think the Skins will just get beaten up by the Cowgirls?

Posted by: | September 7, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

+++++We had 3 round 2 picks.

Maybe trading away another round 2 for JT was no big deal afterall.

Posted by: GAD | September 7, 2008 6:22 PM++++++

Posted by: Corkczar | September 7, 2008 8:13 PM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 7, 2008 8:21 PM

Precisely.

A solid 2nd round pick can play for 6,8 maybe 10 years. 2nd round picks are not gambles, hunches. A well researched 2nd rounder is a solid starter for years.

We have JT. He's hurt and his overall contribution to this team will never begin to approach the impact of a solid 2nd round pick.

Vinny believed this team was a contender. I am sure he thought we were missing a piece or two.

His ineptitude is immeasurable.

Posted by: GAD | September 7, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

++++Corkczar,

Gibbs was a disappointment...

Afterall, its called an UNI-form.

This is an arguable point, but I have no doubt its true.
Posted by: GAD | September 7, 2008 7:58 PM++++

This is NOT an arguabloe point: Without Gibbs, the 'skins would have three fewer Superbowl trophies. That means ZERO, the same number you've won for the franchise.

That said, his second go 'round was greatly disappointing to all concerened.

We'll never know all the reasons it went bad, but here's a great place to start. Under JKC, he had a strong and talented GM--Bobby Betheard. Gibbs never was a good personnel guy. Bobby was a genius.

I don't know if it was Ego that made Gibbs decide he should run the personjnel show or, more likely, the sure knowledge that the alternative was one Vincent Cerrato.

You and I are clueless as to what went on behind redskins Park doors, but apparently Gibbs was unable to run the football side and the personnel side. He was forced to depend on the scouting system and the input of Snyder and Cerrato--there was no Betheard to do that.

The result was less than a disaster. There were TWO playoff runs and thre post-season appearances. You "credit" Taylor's death, which is nonsense. Gibbs helped hold that team together in crisis--a team doesn't automatically come together under such circumstances.

Now Gibbs is gone, and Cerrato is in charge of personnel. Let's see how well the Rdskins do with him running the show.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 7, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Hey 'Skins fans, just be glad I'm not your owner.

Posted by: Peter Angelos | September 7, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

GAD -- 2nd round WRs have a so-so track record.

I looked it up (forget how far back I went) and only 3 have made the Pro Bowl (Chad johnson, Anquan Boldin and Chris Chambers) out of 30. Less than 1/3 of these 2nd round picks average 500 yards a season.

Pretty much every draft pick is a roll of the dice ... with the odds improving near the top. To me, its a numbers game. Draft enough guys at the positions you see a need 2 years down the road and see who shines. Which is why I liked the Skins drafting 2 big WRs, improving the odds of getting 1 good guy.

You can do your own checking on how good 2nd round picks have been at

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 7, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Corkczar,

You might find it surprising, but I agree with most of your latest post.

However, Gibbs 2.0 never seemed totally engaged. He never seemed totlay focused. There was something wrong with that regime, and we will never know what it was truly about.

But for 5 large/yr., you don't mail it in. You don't recite endless cliches at very freakin' presser. You don't let the inmates run the asylum.

He was so spent it was painfully obvious - and most of this town looked the other way...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs 2.0 did NOT "mail it in."

He took this team to the playoffs two out of his four seasons.

The last coach to enjoy that kind of success around here was.... oh, yeah, Gibbs 1.0.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 7, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

It's funny how my fellow RI brethren consitently lay the woes of the Redskins at the feet of Vinny Cerrato. Joe Gibbs was president of the team and all decisions on personnel came through him. Cerrato does have a Super Bowl ring as does Gibbs.

1) Count how many draft picks we had in the Gibbs years....very few. We gave them away like candy and for players that didn't play (Duckett). We overpaid for FA's (ARE, Lloyd, etc). An organization succeeds together and fails together. A lot of this may be due to Snyder really not knowing that Gibbs is not a personnel guy and being a "fan" he got caught up in the aura of Gibbs

2) Don't underestimate the abrupt departure of Joe Gibbs. All indicators was that he was staying and he announces he's retiring without giving Snyder a chance to put in a contingency plan.

3) Stop with the "We made the playoffs because Sean Taylor died". It's a feel good ending, but that had a small part to do with it. We peaked at the right time and got healthy as the season came to an end. Todd Collins know the offense and played with more confidence. Receivers mysteriously started catching the ball.

4) Who knows how this season will unfold. I learn this from the NY Giants last season. They had talent but no confidence. They were ready to fire the coach and call Eli a bust, but one goal line stand turned their season around. We have enough talent to compete, but not to dominate.

The bottom line to this organization is TOO MUCH change in a short amount of time.

Gibbs, Saunders, back to Gibbs, Zorn, WCO...

Posted by: sicwidit | September 7, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

The intervening years - Richie Petitbon, Norv Turner, Terry Robiskie, Marty Schottenheimer, and Steve Spurrier, were pure hell.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 7, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Norv, Marty and Spurrier were never really given a full chance. They had the ball taken away from them just when their Skins' teams were trending upward. Plus, each of them at least threw the ball downfield, versus Gibbs reliance on the ol' 3 and 5 run it up the gut for 2 routine. Ridiculous.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs 2.0 did NOT "mail it in."

He took this team to the playoffs two out of his four seasons.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 7, 2008 8:50 PM

OK, let's understand your position...

Gibbs 2.0 was a huge success. We made the playoffs for two years out of four. He left the team better off than he found it.
His personnel choices were sterling.

This is all pure lunacy.

The reality is that you are arguing from an indefensible position.

Gibbs second tenure was something between a disappointment and a setback. This widely accepted and inarguable.

I realize Zorn is making Gibbs look good by comparison, but that is nothing more than a backhanded compliment.

Posted by: GAD | September 7, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

The debate continues here on RI.
What was Gibbs functioning role and Ceratto's functioning role?

How about JLC asking Vinny and Danny to elaborate on it further?

Lastly, we all know Gibbs was did lead us to playoffs and players played awfully hard for him.

But yes, there were times he clearly was not the same Joe Gibbs 1.0
It was time to go...

We can be thankful for 3 SB trophies and 4 SB games, 9 playoff appearances, 11 seasons in which he ws in the victor's locker room at least ten times.

Hall of Fame credentials, no doubt.
The man came back only because he loved the Redskins so much, but he was clearly not the same man at times.

So long Coach Joe. We do thank you for the greatest memories in Redskin History.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 7, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward...

To be honest, I'm more concerned with our secondary than I am with the offense.

I think the offense will get progressively better. It's a long season and one 16-7 loss does not make a season.

Posted by: sicwidit | September 7, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Let me tell you guys...I have the Sunday Ticket down here in NC...and The Skins Looked Like the worst team in the NFL this week... By a long shot. If we don't have a major recovery by next Sunday...we will have the #1 pick in the draft...and a lot of retirements...

Posted by: NC Skins Fan | September 7, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Now the debt comes due.

If the Skins get torched by the Saints, this town will freaking launch.

Posted by: GAD | September 7, 2008 6:44 PM
_____________________________

Especially if Brunell is under center when they do it!

Posted by: Xlnt | September 7, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Portis will hang 225 on the Aints.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

The Press trashed J-Cam today for his lack of understanding th offense....

Posted by: NC Skins fan | September 7, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Anonymous
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't like to get personal, but how in the world could an involved Skins fan utter such falsehood and believe it to be true?

Marty certainly fits your above description, no question.

But Norv and Spurrier?
You can't be serious!
Norv's teams were so undisciplined, lost so many close games, and Norv was no executive leader, and all of the players were certainly aware of Norv's weaknesses.

Spurrier?
I loved the guy. Came to town a Redskin fan, a fan of Joe Gibbs, and was so sincere and down to earth in wanting to get the Skins back on track. But his second year, the team had clearly lost confidence in him, had also lost their fight, some of the games were awfully frustrating and hopeless.

I'll give it to Steve, he walked in there and resigned on his own. But it was time for Steve to go.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 7, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

OK, let's understand your position...

His personnel choices were sterling.

This is all pure lunacy.

The reality is that you are arguing from an indefensible position.

Posted by: GAD | September 7, 2008 9:11 PM
---------------------------------

No one said his personnel choices were sterling (whose are?).

As for the rest of your post, it's a lot of bitter drivel.

Of course Gibbs left this team in better shape (and restored some honor to the franchise) than when he "found it."

Two words: Steve Spurrier.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 7, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Redskins Ray,

I guess you're right about Norv but I think Spurrier was forced out prematurely. Regardless, why hasn't Grimm received a shot. Why do we always take cast offs from other teams (Cowboys no less) than draw on the remarkable pool of talent from within our own team's beautiful history?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

ESPN is reporting Tom Brady is out for the year. I haven't seen it anywhere else though.

Posted by: will_ga | September 7, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Jacobs looks like the Juggernaut and Laron Landry looks like roadkill.

Posted by: WhinersRUs | September 7, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

If you're the team's owner, and you are a marketing genius, you bet on the hype. You front load with expectation, make your money before the customer realizes he's been had.

That's why you change leadership every so often. To give your financial base some new hype to bet on.

It's interesting how the tone has changed on RI in mere weeks -- from "we have arrived" after the Hall of Fame game, to "we're doomed" after one week.

I bet all the season tickets were sold already by the time the season started.

So, the team doesn't have to deliver on the hype. And the investor wins on the spread.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Hey anonymous, still believe you have forgotten how lifeless the Skins were in yr 2 of Steve Spurrier.

Russ Grimm?
He was the one I was honestly hoping the Skins would select, once it became clear something was rotten regarding GRegg Williams and DAnny / Vinny.

It frustrated me too!
If we couldn't hire Fassel or Spagnolo, then why a guy w/ no coordinator experience. Grimm had that....

still frustrates me

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 7, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | September 7, 2008 9:30 PM

Maybe he will be, but they won't know until he has the MRI tomorrow. Simms is coming in tomorrow for a workout.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 7, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

I agree...the Skins looked like the worst team in the league this week...(except the Rams...oh, isn't Al Saunders their O-Coor.)

Still...this movie ain't over!

Posted by: sicwidit | September 7, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

just read this on NFL.com

The fear now is that Brady suffered damage to his ACL and MCL in his left knee, which would mean the Patriots quarterback would be sidelined eight months, reports NFL Network's Adam Schefter. More medical tests are pending Monday.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 7, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

won't say "the" worst,
but no question after watching today, Skins "offense" looked as bad as any of the poor performances today.

Don't want to be nearly as hard on the Defense, because of their second half

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 7, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe it
Brandon Lloyd just caught a pass in the first half of his first game away from us!

Already!

what a joke he was for us...

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 7, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

brenda Lloyd just made a first down catch for da bears

Posted by: dealer | September 7, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Lloyd just caught a pass!

Posted by: sicwidit | September 7, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Why does Lloyd have on a long sleeve shirt on under his jersey.

He's a clown!

(Didn't Gibbs want B-Lloyd?)

Posted by: sicwidit | September 7, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Btw, the new front page for Skins coverage on the Post is a HUGE improvement. Nice RI headline widget too.

Posted by: WorstSeat | September 7, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Gibbs want B-Lloyd?)

Posted by: sicwidit | September 7, 2008 9:53 PM

Story was that Al Saunders wanted him.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 7, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 9:11 PM

Norv? Really? Norv?
Marty didn't get a full chance, but he was never going to get us to the promised land, and getting Spurrier was a real upgrade (or so I thought at the time).
Spurrier got as full a chance as he wanted, and more than he deserved.

But Norv? Norv? seven years of mediocrity isn't a 'full chance'?

btw, UpHere, we spell it 'rediculous'.

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 7, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

But all personnel decisions came through Gibbs right?

Posted by: sicwidit | September 7, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Lloyd was definitely a Saunders pick -- "from wrist to fingertip, he's got the most talent I've ever seen" was Wierd Al's scouting report.
Next up: Al Saunders' full-body scouting report...

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 7, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

One of the three parts of LaToucanfora's "The Lost Season" describes the Lloyd trade in some detail.
It sounded like some people in the room downplayed some of his character questions because of his talented findertips.
But in all honesty, although there were some rumblings about his intensity, there was nothing that could out-and-out eliminate him as a character concern. And clearly, they needed one more solid player at WR.

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 7, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

You know, if all personnel decisions went through Joe Gibbs, then what was Vinny doing all day?

I'm not arguing, I'm just asking...

Is it possible Vinny was doing the personnel work but coach Joe had the title and so Vinny would go get who he wanted and convince Coach Joe, so Joe could stamp it?

Is that possible?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 7, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Bandon Lloyd again w/ a reception.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 7, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Anybody else thinking that Kyle Orton is a much much better QB than Campbell?

Posted by: Nobody wants a Cheney in a Skirt | September 7, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

So, I got home from work Friday night, pumped about watching the game. The first game of the Aussie Rules post season was on as well, but I chose to watch the Skins which I taped during the day. Here's what I thought.

-We were awful. Apart from the fact that we didn't turn the ball over, I couldn't imagine us playing any worse.

-Even though we got smashed, we still only lost by 9 points.

-ARE ran for more yards pre-snap than he did on his punt returns.

-Rock was magnificent, he's the anti-ARE. Our kick return game is the opposite to our punt return game. KR= Keep it simple, move the ball forward at all costs, any yard gained, will help the team. PR= Try and score a TD every return. To me it's just selfish.

-Loved seeing CP destroy that Giant with his 'chip' block, but hated seeing him celebrating the hit, while the play was still alive and he could've been providing Soup with a dump off option.

-In the first half, I thought Soupy looked like he didn't know what he was doing.

Not a good result, but only the first game of a new era, learn from our mistakes, and hopefully things start to click.

Posted by: kost52 | September 7, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

The Rams are way worse than us but I get no satisfaction out of that.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

ARE isn't going to go all out in the return game here. In Pittsburgh, he burned to play on offense and he knew he was only getting on the field if he played well on special teams. Here, he knows he's going to play so isn't going to mess that up by getting killed during a return.

Posted by: ARE likes starting at WR | September 7, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

bears D looks very super bowlish...

Posted by: dealer | September 7, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Questions for next Sunday:

Does Reggie Bush get more yards rushing or receiving next week?

Does Drew Brees throw for over or under 250 yards?

Does Clinton Portis get over or under 100 yards rushing next week?

Does Jason Campbell throw for over or under 200 yards?

Do the Redskins or Saints commit more turnovers?

Posted by: 4th in the East | September 7, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

correction...bears O looks scarier

Posted by: dealer | September 7, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

3rd and 1 and they PASS!!!! what a concept!

Posted by: dealer | September 7, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

I'll start:

Bush cracks 100 receiving next week. They look at our secondary coverage last week and their mouths are watering.

Brees throws for about 275 yards, 3 TD's and a pick.

JC gets about 210 yards, a TD and 2 picks.

CP rushes for 95 yards but fumbles once.

'Skins turn it over 3 times to 1 and lose 27-13.

Posted by: Face the Truth | September 7, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Carson Palmer had a worse game than Jason Campbell....only passed for 99 yards.....and hasn't he been a pro bowler?

Redskin Ray, you wrote:

"How about JLC asking Vinny and Danny to elaborate on it further?"

Not happening. Vinny and Danny do not speak to JLC.

Posted by: Lisa | September 7, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

I have Chicago's D on my FF team. Whoo hoo!

Posted by: RITCA | September 7, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

To look on the bright side. At least we're not Detroit fans. The skins looked terrible against the defending world champs whereas the Lions, who've never really won anything, got beat by a rookie QB on what was the 3rd worst team in the league last year. Ditto for Cincinnati.

Posted by: skinswest | September 7, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

I told coach Z, hey I'd like to try the "Extended Shot Gun" from max protect punt formation. This way long snapper Ethan Albright hits me with the snap like 20 yards deep. I have lots of time to think then, and I can pat the ball four or five times, then wind up for about four seconds, and all my targets like Santena and Rendel El, I can see them. Yeah.

Posted by: Jason Campbell | September 7, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Yo, I like that I get the personal protectors in the extended shotgun. I was talkin to Brooksy and he was like "you gotta get some personal protectors back there with you Jay".

I asked coach Z, you know, if I could get like my German Shepard back there with me, like a guard dog to buy me enough time to see the field and he was like "Naw" "we got no equipment to fit your dog Jay". I tried to tell him real players hit way harder than those tacklin dummies they throw at me.

Posted by: JC | September 7, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow! is it not amazing how every other football team but the Redskins has rookies contributing to their team??? Thomas - nothing, Kelly - not on the field - Davis - not on the field - none of the other picks on the field (except the punter who is below average). However, they made the team because the Vinny has them there to cover up his awful drafting.

We need a real GM. I'm tiered of watching bad players. Can you imagine a good offensive line built through the draft with Farve? Wow, maybe we could win one??? Just think... Oh well, we have Jason Taylor getting trampled over for the next year instead.

Vinny you're great!!! Can't wait to see what you do next year. Maybe you can trade all the rest of next years draft picks for another washed up 35 yr old player.

Wow that will be great. Because as you know, we are soo close to winning a Super Bowl!

Vinny you need to step aside and let someone who knows what they are doing take over for the team and the fans sake.

(If the Skins had had a decent GM, the last 8 coaches may not have failed... Perhaps we are seeing a pattern???)

Posted by: Vinny Must Go | September 8, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

I trail 4th by 17 FF points with tomorrow night and Chester Taylor my only hope. He has Berrian, so its looking pretty grim for me. 4th was smart enough to draft Michael (38 points) Turner!!!

Even his kicker kicked mine.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 12:25 AM | Report abuse

lisa, no you dinn girl...in that line of thinking the colts lost today...so they must be just as bad as the skins? "why aren't the colts fans jumping off of the bridge?"...

anyways...gl gn...i'm out...

4th, the steak house...

Posted by: dealer | September 8, 2008 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Thank you RedskinsRay & Cload, you beat me to it. I can't believe someone would dare to say Norv "Seven Years Here" Turner didn't get a chance!!!

Marty? Yes. Richie? Yes. Norv? Don't make me laugh!

Cload, they may spell it 'rediculous' in your parts, in my parts they spell it "bullsh!t."

That being said, I'm a big fan of hardcore Zorn. I don't like the soft stuff, you know, just kind of teasing runs up the middle and short dumps. No, I hope to see pure unedited hardcore Zorn every week-- unpredictable with long throws, deep passes, and fulfilling climactic touchdowns!!! Over and over again....

Posted by: Alan | September 8, 2008 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Food for thought ...

3 of the 4 NFC East teams beat the heck out of their opponents ...

Of the three NFC teams outside of the East that made the playoffs, two lost and the third (GB) plays Monday.

In the AFC, Colts, Jags and Chargers all lost ... and NE nearly lost to a miserable KC team.
e already

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Chances Redskins finish with a better record than the Pats.

Sept. 3rd - 500:1
Sept. 5th - 1000:1
Sept. 8th - 10:1

Posted by: kost52 | September 8, 2008 1:49 AM | Report abuse

I wonder, with Tom Brady now done for the season (hehehehe), will the Patriots sign Peter Griffin?

Posted by: kost52 | September 8, 2008 1:53 AM | Report abuse

Kost,
You nailed it.

Posted by: stumped | September 8, 2008 2:30 AM | Report abuse

4th, the steak house...

Posted by: dealer | September 8, 2008 12:39 AM

I asked that question days ago. Just catching up?????????

Posted by: 4th | September 8, 2008 2:40 AM | Report abuse

Good News:

I got Mike Turner on my team!

Bad News:

I currently have Tom Brady on my roster and there are NO other starting QBs available as a FA........

Al Zeke - Week 1 is basicaly ova.....

Posted by: 4th | September 8, 2008 2:43 AM | Report abuse

I would think that NFL Season Ticket would be a business expense.
4th would have details.

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 7, 2008 1:17 PM

You could if you keep proper documentation......

Posted by: 4th | September 8, 2008 2:45 AM | Report abuse

Week 1 in the n f of l, gotta love it injuries and upsets. Who outside of Bears nation would have had the Bears beating the colts?

Posted by: bangkokben | September 8, 2008 6:25 AM | Report abuse

gbnxvbbb. Ryiadovz

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Rikki Tikki Tavi

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

My knee hurts.....

Posted by: Tom Brady | September 8, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Hey Bill B.,

Listen, just wanted to shoot you a quick note. Remember last year, how you got caught trying to cheat, and then pouted and ran up the score every chance you got. Well I started working against you when David Tyree caught that ball on his head, and not, I've basically finished my work via that Pollard guy. Have a little humble pie, remember Cleveland....welcome back...

Posted by: Karma | September 8, 2008 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Gibbs should be removed from the HOF after his performance with the Deadskins the second time around. He didnt give a f. He was there for the money after the first 90 days. Danny Boy was no JKC and he let his ego get the best of him.

And this punk Gibbs is a good Christian?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Sssssh. The NFC East generally doesn't use the WCO offense.

What's that WCO they run in Philly then?

Posted by: Anonymous

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 8, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Hey Anonymous; put down the crack pipe and get to school!

Posted by: 4th in the East | September 8, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

I understand Danny has taken to wearing white jumpsuits and showing up for practice in a golf cart. Not sayin', just sayin....

Posted by: 4th in the East | September 8, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

My knee hurts too...and I'm not really interested in football anymore....

Posted by: Vince Young | September 8, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Hey Bill B.,

Posted by: Karma | September 8, 2008 7:55 AM

That is a classic. First thing I thought of when Brady blew out that knee was those a-holes running up the score on us last year. I hope they go 7-9 this year and lose to Miami twice...

As for the above "WCO doesn't fit in the NFC East" remark: Philly kind of discounts that since they basically dominated this division for most of this decade. But I would agree that the WCO doesn't belong in Washington. Major reason why I was screaming at the top of my lungs to hire Russ Grimm. You get the change you want, yet the continuity you need. But I guess it's a little late for that now...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 8, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Brown, was thinking the same thing, only you're much kinder than I, I was hoping for more like 1-15.

Hope for a better showing this week on both sides of the ball, maybe some home cooking is what this team needs.

Posted by: Greg | September 8, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

My knee hurts too...and I'm not really interested in football anymore....

Posted by: Vince Young | September 8, 2008 8:29 AM

You could was some join me in broadcasting.

Posted by: Emmitt Smith | September 8, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy | September 8, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy

what's the, "beep beep" all the time mean?

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 8, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Once the shotgun gets installed, Colt will be starting soon.

Posted by: George G | September 8, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse