Redskins Unrestricted: Punt Returners

Jason Reid takes an unrestricted look at the Redskins' options at punt returner:

In other clicks: Pro Football Talk lets fans vote on whether the Redskins should fine Chris Cooley for revealing the playbook; the Colts lose Bob Sanders for up to six weeks with a high ankle sprain; and Maske does his Week 3 rankings (check No. 15).

By Cindy Boren  |  September 17, 2008; 9:43 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Timing Is Everything Now
Next: The FedEx Experience: A Fan Speaks

Comments

Flounder obviously failed spelling. King Card is a Loser not a LOOSER! The cardinals do not loose every year, they LOSE!!!

Posted by: SHEESH | September 17, 2008 9:46 AM

Sheesh,

Do you really think I give a Sh!t about my spelling on here, trying to get in as many post as possible without getting fired got no time to check spelling.

Who are you my English teacher, I already graduated go grade you kids homework or something.

Posted by: Flounder | September 17, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Oh and first

Posted by: Flounder | September 17, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Randle El obviously doesn't want to do this, let someone else, preferably someone who was a bubble guy or first year guy. Someone with hunger

Posted by: joeblazin | September 17, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

It has less to do with you checking your spelling and more to do with that fact that you simply do not know how the word is spelled. I doubt Wendy's really cares how much time you spend on the insider as long as you make my single with cheese hot and fresh. Do not forget to ask if i would like to make it a combo! If you do not like English go to Mexico.

Posted by: English 101 | September 17, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one that hates these video posts?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas. That is all.

Posted by: Mattsoundworld | September 17, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

They were still fighting for "a more perfect union". And you are living in that more perfect union.

Whether you like it or not, the power of that original vision has given you more freedom than any other country in the world.

You are even free to choose to wear the chains of the past if you feel like playing the victim card the rest of your life.

Posted by: Mattsoundworld | September 17, 2008 9:51 AM

Look dude take it easy, with your slick ass remarks. All I'm saying is that I don't wave a flag screaming the star spangled banner, okay? No one is wearing chains, nor am I yelling for reparationsor thinking that slavery is holding me back. People like you remind me of elderly people in Germany. They want to believe that the holocaust never happend.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joeblazin | September 17, 2008 9:57 AM

Now, off all the criteria to choose a punt returner, this has to be the most original! "All you bubble guys or first year guys, step forward. You're now punt returners. Everyone else, as you were."

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 17, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

English 101,

I just made a mess in the bathroom get your mop and sponge and get that for me.

If you have nothing better to do then worry about someones spelling or grammar on a blog, you need to get a life.

Posted by: Flounder | September 17, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

How about James Thrash? Had a nice return against Detroit last year.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Since we're talking about spelling, how come no one called Cindy out on the previous post where "Jasno" used contretemps, even italicizing it.

My friends, that's no Jasno. That's no LaToucanfora. That is our Dauphine.

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 17, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure some touched on this yesterday, but did you hear Portis on 980 yesterday? Damn...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 17, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

TE,

Agreed, I see other teams putting young guys back there and they do fine it is not that big of a deal.

Posted by: Flounder | September 17, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I never watch these videos

Devin Thomas would be my choice as well...

Posted by: joeblazin | September 17, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I hate the idea of Moss running back punts

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 17, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union…"

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 17, 2008 8:38 AM

When these words were written, it didn't have jack schitt to do with people of the same pigment as me.

F constitution day.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 8:53 AM

I beg to differ. Those words had much to do with folks of the same pigment as you, just not in a very good way. The 3/5ths compromise (where the drafters agreed to count slaves as 3/5ths of a person for purposes of voting and taxation) was one of the most contentious and controversial elements of the Constitution. That tension lingered all the way to the 1860's and became the flash point for the Civil War, which some called the "last battle of the Revolution" because of the implications that it had for the freedom of blacks.

And then there is Warren Sapp's perspective. Where making millions of dollars to play a game is tantamount to slave life on a plantation.

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Oh and flounder...

It should be if i have nothing better to THAN not THEN!

Posted by: English 101 | September 17, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

English 101,

How is this go F yourself.

Posted by: Flounder | September 17, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I didn't know "playbook" was now a term used to refer to one's privates.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Oh and flounder...

It should be if i have nothing better to THAN not THEN!

Posted by: English 101 | September 17, 2008 10:11 AM

English 101,

Had enough of you, F English 101

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:02 AM
---------------------------------------
This is one of the saddest posts I've ever read. That is the problem with our country today. We live in THE GREATEST COUNTRY in the world and people who live here take it for granted. How many people from other countries have recogonized the promise of America and risked everything to come here?
Unfortunately, a lot of people that had the good fortune to be born in the USA don't appreciate what they have. I'm not saying that we have to become flag waving fanatics, but pride in our country and in the great actions of our forefathers would be appreciated.

Posted by: RITCA | September 17, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

What, Anon, you've never 'studied the playbook'? C'mon...eveyone does it.

Posted by: Dik | September 17, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RITCA | September 17, 2008 10:14 AM

Acutally, no. The problem with our country today is the liberals who have lost all sense of right and wrong, and made this country one of humanism and relativism as opposed to truths.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:19 AM

Can any of these liberals run back punts?

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 17, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:19 AM

Wait I am trying to stop laughing, Conservatives know something about the Truth, or right and wrong. LMAO

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

English 101,

How is this go F yourself.

Posted by: Flounder | September 17, 2008
10:12 AM

Actually, there should be question mark after this, and you should strongly consider an exclamation mark since you are asking one to have carnal relations without a partner.

"How is this? Go F yourself!"

Posted by: English 102 | September 17, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

And this my friends, is why "different pigmented" people, computers, and politics simply don't mix.

Posted by: Politically Incorrect | September 17, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

pretty funny 102

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 17, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:19 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:23 AM

The conservatives sure know that the murder of an unborn baby is not a "choice" that anyone should have. That's about as true as it gets.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Why have they not had Rock Cartwright back there to return the punts?

Is he not fast enough, he seems to be able to run through contact fairly well.

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 17, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:23 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:27 AM

You got me on that 1

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

The correct syntax would be "How is this: Go F yourself!"

Posted by: English 501 for PhD Candidates | September 17, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Why have they not had Rock Cartwright back there to return the punts?

Is he not fast enough, he seems to be able to run through contact fairly well.

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 17, 2008 10:27 AM

I heard B-Mitch break this down on the air. Returning punts is a different kind of thing from the kickoffs - particularly in that you don't already have blockers set up. You've got to focus on different things all at one - field position and whether or not to take the punt/fair catch/return; you've got to have one eye on the tacklers streaking down the field without losing the ball in the air. Either Rock doesn't have the confidence to do all this or the coaches don't have confidence in him to do all this. B-Mitch said he's made a personal offer to Rock to help him work on this stuff - no response.

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

If Brian Mitchell can return punts, so can Rock. Rock's obviously not the legend that B-Mitch is, but he does something that ARE doesn't: RUN STRAIGHT AHEAD!

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 17, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I follow politics but dont know much about "ideology".

I am just asking this so please don't be offended. I know that "conservatives" do not like abortion because they feel it as "murder"...but If I am right, they believe strongly in the death penalty.

Am I right?

Posted by: Question | September 17, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

ARE tries to be too fancy. I like the idea of Thrash

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 17, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Im all for Rock returning the punts. Thomas has done nothing so far, hes had throws go through his hands in fact. Punt return is an importat duty for securing field position but if you muff it like ARE did then itbecomes a catastrophy. Rock has solid hands and wont fumble the ball until someone hacks off his arms. Trash cannot be trusted after his f-up last year when Rock was johnny on the spot to cover his A**. Thmoas hasnt done anything yet to prove his worth on punt returns.

Posted by: Stu | September 17, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Some may...but it is not in the political platform as abortion is. Even so......there is a major difference between the murder of an innocent child, and the death penalty for someone who been convicted by a judge or jury for a crime warranting the death penalty.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I follow politics but dont know much about "ideology".

Am I right?

Posted by: Question | September 17, 2008 10:32 AM

The ideology is something like this:

The death penalty is not considered "murder" because it is handed down to folks who are deserving of it under the law. What they are receiving is just punishment for a crime that they are responsible for committing.

The unborn are totally helpless innocents.

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

...but pride in our country and in the great actions of our forefathers would be appreciated.

Posted by: RITCA | September 17, 2008 10:14 AM

Great actions of our forefathers? Oh I see, you must mean the actions they took owning slaves and seperating them from their families. Completely cutting off any link they had to their family history or sense of where they come from and who they are in this foreign land. OR you must mean the same forefathers who ordered the slaughter of thousands, if not millions of natives of this land.

Yeah there is a lot to be appreciative about.

In no particular order thanks and big shout outs to the following:

George Washington
Thomas Jefferson
John Adams

And a host of other trailblazing men. We're all much obliged.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm curious to canvass the opinion of the RI Nation: would you want to have Lane Kiffin as your coach? I'm not throwing Zorn out the door (yet) or saying that Snyder would hire him, but I'm just curious what others here would think about hiring a young guy with a chance to be the coach here for the next 15+ years a la Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh. Thoughts?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 17, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:23 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:27 AM

Conservatives do not want people to have a choice.

You are right the women should have the baby, then when she can not afford to take care of the baby it will be left in a dumpster, that is way better then an abortion, you conservatives are so smart.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

But when someone is sentenced to death, they are sentenced by someone other than "God".

So murder is OK as long as they deserve it and a jury of twelve strangers, or an appointed/elected judge says so.

Posted by: Question | September 17, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

greetings RI Hamsters....

There was a website that was posted a while ago that had the NFL television broadcast map. I thought it was saved to my Favorites, however, it is gone. I f anyone has the link or remembers ... HELP !

Posted by: cej75024 | September 17, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I like the honesty that Zorn brings. Its a fresh approach to football, he has his own ideas and is willing to try them out. He admits mistakes, his and other people's.

Love Gibbs to death, but Zorn seems to be pretty good fit for where the Skins are now

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | September 17, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:23 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:27 AM

Conservatives do not want people to have a choice.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:38 AM

Dude. It's a complicated debate. That comment stupidly oversimplifies the issue. If you are framing it in this way:

"Govt takes people's tax dollars to do the killing in a doctor's office"

vs.

"Individual decides to dump baby in a trash can"

We live in a screwed up world.

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I personally don't believe in the death penalty. Some Republicans do and some Democrats do. Again, the conservative party platform is against abortion, while the liberal platform considers it a "choice". I see a major difference between the parties here.

And for the wiseguy who gave the dumpster example, I say that leaving a unwanted baby in a dumpster is murder as well and strongly oppose it. Yet again, we have a prime example of the liberals failing to see right and wrong.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

greetings RI Hamsters....

Posted by: cej75024 | September 17, 2008 10:40 AM

Posted by: CBT | September 17, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Ahem.
The "problem" with politics is that we elect politicians who can't afford to make hard choices (because if they do, the money will dry up).
And money is how you get re-elected.
Mr. McCain has made some hard choices in the last year, but they have been hard right (to keep the money flowing) rather than hard center (where his past history would indicate he prefers). But he clearly has a long-term history of making hard choices.
Mr Obama has not had to make any hard choices yet, but it looks like he will have to -- and his new "attack dog" stance appears to be the result. But I can't help but wonder if this choice won't hurt him -- particularly with all those new voters and young people who got excited about him because they were tired of the same old thing...

And for those who think that politics should be banned from RI, there are less than 50 days left until the election. Politics can't help but be part of a decent conversation.

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 17, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Jesus H. Christianson!

Let's talk about some football.

How about tryin' Tryon for punts?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Aren't there enough socio-political blogs out there that you can leave the flag waving/burning to them??!!

SJK off w/ all that crap

Posted by: Dik | September 17, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

The greatest Card of all time...

Ken Harvey!!

Posted by: the truth | September 17, 2008 10:24 AM

Dude, you too young.

Dave Butz #55

Best. Card. Ever.

Posted by: 4th | September 17, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

LH - I didn't know you were over 40......

Posted by: 4th | September 17, 2008 12:45 AM

Yeah but only slightly. The internet just makes me look younger.

Posted by: LH | September 17, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Jesus H. Christianson!

Let's talk about some football.

How about tryin' Tryon for punts?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:51 AM

I think he would do good, he is fast.

Posted by: Flounder | September 17, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I, as as Redskin fan, enjoy discussing the topics here as many of you Redskin fans enjoys discussing soccer, Lost, music, the weather, and many other less important topics to go along with our football discussions.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

So much for my dream of Constitution Day not resulting in partisan bickering. I am reminded of a great quote which is also not one of partisan nature.

A true patriot will look back and see how far his country has come and then look forward at how far his country still needs to go.

Anyone who thinks the liberal ideology or the conservative ideology of today have a monopoly on the ideas our founding fathers brought to us in the constitution is being foolish.

Most of the founding fathers would be considered too radical to fit into modern politics, after all we are talking about guys who committed treason against their government. I would be willing to bet that many of them would be turning in their graves over the failures of most americans to educate themselves about government.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 17, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I vaguely recall Tryon returning a kickoff in one of the early preseason games... it did not go well IIRC.
The problem with Rock is -- I think -- the problem with the guy I'd put back there: LaRon. Those guys do a lot of Teams work around the line and set up blocking and coverage, which you can't do from 40 yards away.

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 17, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Most of our founding fathers also had the truth of Christ as their foundation and their strength. Right and wrong wasn't an issue for them.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Tryon would also be a nice pick, since we are now a bit thin at WR.

Heck, for 10K a game check, I'll catch the ball and flop forward, which would be better than what ARE does.

And yes, lets leave the party politics outside. The pigments that are the problem in this country are Blue and Red, not Black and White.

Posted by: Mattsoundworld | September 17, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Dudes, just shut the SJK up. Obviously some want to appreciate the glory of opportunity - so do that. And others want to wallow in the hate they experience everyday - so do that.

Just take it somewhere else. It's annoying.

Posted by: Dik | September 17, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy | September 17, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

The Truth was never meant to make us warm and fuzzy and comfortable.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 11:00 AM

Except that its generally accepted that many of them were not particularly religious

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 17, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

The ideology is something like this:

The unborn are totally helpless innocents.

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2008 10:36 AM

HAHAHA! I love it. I staunchly support the death penalty and believe it is improperly used to be a deterrant. If a gunman caught on a 7-11 video shooting a clerk were put to death the day after, that would be a deterrant. But to justify what is punishable by death to the living and not support abortion in cases of rape, particularly in a case where it is discovered immediately... Conservative BS at its best. I am a man, I am NOT pro-abortion, I am pro choice. Arrogance to those that believe they should be choosing for another.

Posted by: INDEPENDENT | September 17, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I agree that Rock is very imortant setting up the returns for us through his blokinc and ST coverage, think he still should be looked at. Dont let MOSS do it im sure he wants to but he is far far to valuable to us. I was pusing for tryon since preseason so i wouldnt mind him back there as long as he can prove that he can hold onto the ball.

Posted by: Stu | September 17, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Suffice to say that a founding father would get a headache very quickly -- the world is a much larger place today.
Think of Ben Franklin -- 250 years ago, he leaves home at age 14 and with so little formal education becomes a publisher, business owner, scientist, inventor, revolutionary, and diplomat and still has enough time to chase every filly he set eyes on.

Posted by: cload & daggar | September 17, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Arrogance to those that believe they should be choosing for another.

Posted by: INDEPENDENT | September 17, 2008 11:09 AM

There's your problem...it's not a matter of "choice"

Posted by: Anonymous | September 17, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I tried RedskinUnrestricted adn NEVER AGAIN!!

Here' why.

I KNOW you don't pay him a dime more for doing it, but you have the audacity to insult the viewers by RUNNING AN AD.

It MIGHT be worth suffering thru a commercial IF:

A. There were some production values more sophisticated than the Cable Access Station in East Moosedong, Alaska.

B. There was something better suited for TV than print. Reid writes better than he TVs by a large margin. Without a Prompter his hem and haws are inferior to the written word.

C. If this is the Post's response to The Danny's Terrorist tactics against a free press, the Terrorists have won.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 17, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I am a fan of the comments made by English 101, English 102 and English 501 for PhD Candidates; however, Anonymous and Flounder are purely idiots.

I don't see how, in a blog, these commenters have gone off on a tangent, talking about issues not even related to the Skins...But I guess that is the nature of 1st Amendment/free speech rights...In my honest opinion, if we do love this country and value our only recognized, official language, we should cherish--not butcher--English.

I was wondering if, as was suggested by a previous commenter, Rock Cartwright could be used as a PR too. OR...if the Skins could use one of the players on the practice squad (as was also suggested), that'll be good. I repeat these options because Antwaan Randle-El is not the same electrifying, "slash", do-everything player that he was in Pittsburgh, and our number one wideout, Santana Moss, cannot be spent by fulfilling WR duties AND PR duties at the same time from Week 3 to Week 17. He's still relatively young (mid- to late twenties, right?), but it'll be a bad personnel move for a team that would be decimated in a West-Coast O w/ Moss down for a series of games or ineffective for the rest of the season. If that were to happen at this point, with four average WRs (Randle-El, Thrash, Kelly, and Thomas) and Santana hurt, Washington would put the team (and JC, too) at a greater disadvantage throughout this season.

Posted by: KJ 44 Riggo | September 17, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse