Redskins will add a running back, but who?

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan is expected to add a third running back prior to Sunday's game against the Packers. He's not giving any hints, but he also doesn't seem to have too many options.

With Clinton Portis out, the only other tailbacks on the 53-man roster are Ryan Torain, who will start, and Chad Simpson, whose biggest contributions will come on special teams.

The only other running back who practiced with the team all week is rookie Keiland Williams, who played in the team's first three games before he was released and later signed to the practice squad. Williams didn't have any carries in the first three games but did total 29 yards on six catches, playing mostly on passing downs.

Shanahan has added to his 53-man roster the past two weeks on the eve of game day, and he'll likely make a move Saturday. He wouldn't say Friday whether he'd be adding Williams.

"You'll have to wait until game day and show up and find out who that third back is," he said. "Right now, the odds-on favorite is [Chris] Cooley."

Shanahan was joking. We think.

The Redskins have a second running back on the practice squad, but Quinn Porter, an undrafted rookie, was added Thursday and is still unfamiliar with Washington's offense.

Waiting until the end of the week to make a roster move makes a lot of sense. It means an opponent doesn't know for certain which player to anticipate. It also means the other 31 teams might be less inclined to scoop up the released player. The Redskins have re-signed both Brandon Banks and Williams to the practice squad after each player cleared waivers the past two weeks.

"If we did release somebody on your team, obviously they could get claimed during the week," Shanahan said. "You feel pretty good about your squad, you may have some injuries, so people know what the gameplan is all about. There are injuries that occur during the week; there's a number of factors. Sometimes you're not as deep at one position as you are at others, so you're not sure what direction to go. So it's a combination of a lot of things."

By Rick Maese  | October 8, 2010; 2:21 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan: Trent Williams should be ready to play; Albert Haynesworth's status undetermiend
Next: If Albert Haynesworth doesn't play, how would Redskins adjust?

Comments

Albert Haynesworth's status undetermiend

(the misspelling is not mine)

Ain't it funny how life is?

Three months ago, it was all about AH, Shanny, arrogance, conditioning tests, and a contest of wills.

And AH's contract.

Now, in the event of death, AH needs from Shanny and his teammates what he couldn't supply to them for mini camps, practices, and OTAs:

A little compassion and faith and responsibility.

Yes: AH should be granted whatever time he needs to deal with the death of his brother.

But it's funny that he has to go to a head coach he stiffed to get compassion as it relates to his playing Sunday.

Contractually--which is the basis of AH dodging OTAs--Shahahan could say:

"Your deal with us means you're on the field Sunday, regardless of the personal issue."

"But we'll relieve you of that obligation to go handle your family business as that's what supreme."

"Just remember we see you as a person first, employee second."

"Some things are greater than money and contracts."

"Remember that the next off season when we ask you to come to OTAs or learn to play nose tackle right."

"Go take care of your people--we can win with or without you."

"But they need you."

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 8, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

In case anyone is wondering...I won't be one of the running backs added this week.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 8, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------
Wait a minute. Isn't Cooley the third punter, too? If he keeps that up, he's going to be vying for Alexander's title of Mr. Everything.

Actually, lining up Cooley as an H-back is something they did in Philly. I doubt he'll carry the ball, but he can block and catch passes from that spot, and when they put him in there, it gets clutch choke Sellers off the field...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 8, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Moe, of course family > football. And we all know it's a delicate matter to criticize any guy who just lost a close member of his. As you pointed out, it's kind of ironic that he now needs something from people that he was himself unwilling/able to give the same.

How much time is reasonable, and does his status as a malcontent factor into the answer to that question? Everyone should be allowed to grieve, but this is a business. Compassion and $$$ don't always see eye to eye. I don't have the answer, I sure hope Shanny and Bruce do.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 8, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

They're [Florio's comments] not out of line HERE... they're out of line NOW.

A couple weeks from now would be fine, I'm thinkin'.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 8, 2010 2:34 PM |

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 8, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

: MistaMoe

I respect what you have to say but come on man. OTA's, contract, and mini camp is nothing compared to a human life.

Posted by: jm220 | October 8, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

My thinking is Devin Thomas has seen his last game with the Redskins. I think it is between he and Roydell Williams. Chad Simpson will return kicks. Keiland Williams will fill the void left by DT's departure.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 8, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they can add OJ Simpson. I hear he's available.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 8, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 8, 2010 2:32 PM
-----------------------------
Moe usually you make good points. But this is some bullsh!t...the skins can't make Haneyworth play..if he wanted to take off and grief for his brother he could...the skins are powerless against that...they are not going to fire him...so they can keep the game check..that's about it....but to suggest that he has to ask for Shanny for permission to grief and be with his family is silly at best....

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 8, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

wow some of these posts. I just ask if someone in your family died would you give a damn if your boss tell you weather or not you can have that time off? I for one can be honest and say hell no. Someone of you really need to come off your high horse

Posted by: jm220 | October 8, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Albert Haynesworth's status undetermiend

(the misspelling is not mine)

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 8, 2010 2:32 PM

It's probably Scampbell's. He's the worst speller on the blog. He went to Georgia Tech. They taught him to be an arckiteck, not a speler. Arkiteck's make a lot of money, speler's can't even find a job except on RI where their name is Cork and they call people out. "Hey, you speled arkiteck all wrong."

Posted by: beep-beep | October 8, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 8, 2010 2:37 PM
--------------------------------
yeh..we want to establish the run...we'll call when we need to fake the hand-off

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 8, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 8, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I think Shanahan is up to some shanahanigans with DT11. I think he's putting on the block and keeping him out of games on purpose and it has nothing to do with his playing. I bet he unleashes a determined DT11 against a divisional foe like the Boys or the Birds. He'll start the game and end up scoring 2 TDs for us.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 8, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Something tells me Stompy isn't a "one for the Gipper" kind of guy...

I wish him and his family peace in this terrible time.

I think that's about all we can hope for.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 8, 2010 2:46 PM

I agree.. I don't begrudge him at all if he chose to stay home and mourn with him family. That's certainly his perogative. I think some guys might seek to take to the field and punish some opponents, but I don't see AH as that guy. Which is fine - no one should judge him as such in a situation like this.

As for Florio, there's truth to what he says, but for him to post it on an internet page where he is supposed to be somewhat professional, and immediately after the death is a bit much.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 8, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 8, 2010 2:37 PM
-----------------------------------
we'll call when we want to fake the hand-off

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 8, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

that double post was RI fault

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 8, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Punt, you're a clown but I dig it. Just wish you'd speak your mind and not hold back so much. And I do agree with you - to an extent - that people are kid-glovin the decedent a little too much...I guess in 2 weeks it'll be OK to say what he was doing was not only wrong but extremely dangerous. I bet some people would considerably revisit their selected comments if he had run into their loved one while going 120. Still sad he died but let's all stop playing the victim/out of line card.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 8, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I would prefer to see CC as the lead Hback or fullback in place of Sellers. Shoot i actually want to see him run a few, dude is tough to take down and runs low w great leverage. I hate hate hate our RB situation right now. So many ?

Posted by: Stu27 | October 8, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | October 8, 2010 2:50 PM

I can't say...I don't make two million dollars per game.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 8, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Punt you're kinda a clown but I dig it. Just wish you would speak your mind.

Kinda agree on one thing- I wonder how all these mourners would feel if the guy weaving in and out of traffic 1) weren't the brother of a famous athlete and 2) more to the point, if said brother had struck and killed one of their loved ones while weaving in and out of traffic at 120. I am sorry this happened and feel for the familny, but ANYBODY acting in such a manner- name/family ties/money notwithstanding- is not a victim of a tragedy when they die.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 8, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

we'll call when we want to fake the hand-off

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 8, 2010 2:55 PM

Perfect...that's my specialty! But I don't know why you had to insult my running abilities twice....

Posted by: PlayAction | October 8, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Joe Washington will be the 3rd RB. He's got one good catch to the flat then run out of bounds left in him.

Posted by: clark202 | October 8, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 8, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 8, 2010 2:53 PM
------------------------------------------
Not likely. DT is a disappointment. I think he's saying all of the right things in the media, but his focus and work ethic just aren't there. He could remain as a kick returner all season but I am thinking Shanahan is ready to move on. There are a lot of teams out there that could use a dynamic kick returner, and I am thinking a DT trade gets consummated some time in the next 24 hours - probably for some low round draft pick, or he'll be cut outright. Shanny is done with the guy and he needs the roster spot.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 8, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 8, 2010 3:02 PM
------------------
i explained at 2:56....

that double post was RI fault

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 8, 2010 2:56 PM

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 8, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

It has to be Keiland Williams, doesn't it? New blood, knows the system. Anyone that performs at a high level in the SEC is worth a look...a second look, as it were.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 8, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Love the JDub reference, Clark- - -

Can y'all say Brandon Banks?! wotwot?

& Notorious - it's a tragedy. Plain and simple. Talk that SJK after some time - but now? That makes you a straight up SJKclown.

... and ITA'd.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 8, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Dear Diary

Let's just say I know who Ol' Coach Shanny will add to the roster Saturday, but unfortunately, I‘ve also have been sworn to secrecy. And my name ain’t Cooley…

Your BFF!!

Posted by: Vic1 | October 8, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Shanny should make a trade for fan-favorite Tashard Choice.

Posted by: SMACK1 | October 8, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

A few things some people here aren't understanding:

1) There is a difference between football and a loss of life. I thought that went with out saying... guess I was wrong. There isn't a need to associate indiscretions made within football to that of the loss of a loved one. To think so is narrow minded and irrational at best.

2) Although acting in a reckless and senseless manner, driving at top speed on the road when not intentionally wanting to cause harm to others, doesn't mean the man deserved to die. Driving your vehicle at a high rate of speed isn't the most egregious act known to man. Yes, he could've killed someone with his actions. Correction, he did -- himself. Isn't that enough? Why talk as if he commited the acts with the most vile and evil intentions? And not to excuse his actions, but he was only 23. Most people that age feel invincible and have little to no regard for their actions and how they impact others -- or themselves. Sadly this young man had to find out the hard way.

3) No one is saying lets head down to Ashburn and hold a candlelight vigil for Haynesworth and his brother, but goddamn, given the situation I think people would know when to be critical and judgmental and when not to be. I guess I was wrong. NOPE Everyone has GOT TO BE a cynic AT ALL TIMES. EVERYONE has to be judgmental all the time and come off as holier than thou. No compassion, no sympathy, no fhucking humility for anyone but themselves ANYMORE in this world! I'm tellin' you, there is no way there can be more good than evil in this world. Everyone is out for theirs, everyone is all about "self", everyone would spitefully sh*t on the next man if he thought he could gain the SLIGHTEST advantage!

--------------------------------------------------------
There is a time and place for everything. Pretty sure if you had a loved one who smoked a pack of cigarettes a day, you wouldn't to hear about how "stupid they were" and how "they had it coming". Even though it may have validity to it and come off as honest brutal truth, in the wake of death there is an appropriate time for astringent or contentious comments.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 8, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

i wouldnt be surprised if Cooley IS the 3rd running back. He'd be tough to bring down :-) aka Peyton Hillis.

Posted by: destewar | October 8, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Lets just get this over, Cut Roydell Willams, not a STP, and not much of a contributer, DT is STP and has trade value, I am sure he could have at least 1 catch too ! Simple trim the fat like we did with LJ. Can I get a BINGO !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | October 8, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse