Posted at 1:09 PM ET, 12/29/2010

Redskins will place Kareem Moore on injured reserve

By Barry Svrluga

UPDATED 3:07 P.M.

The Redskins will place free safety Kareem Moore on season-ending injured reserve, Coach Mike Shanahan said, essentially making him inactive for the season finale against the New York Giants - but opening a roster spot for another player whom they can keep around during the offseason, former New Orleans practice squad player Reggie Jones.

Moore, a third-year pro, will have surgery on his right knee Monday, Shanahan said. He won the starting free safety job in preseason, but suffered a right knee injury that kept him inactive the first two weeks. He also sat out last week against Jacksonville, and the knee has been a problem throughout the season, limiting his practice time recently.

"He played hurt most of the season," Shanahan said. "It's nice to see somebody fight and work as hard as Kareem has done, but a little bit too sore right now to play."

Moore played in 12 games this year, starting 11, and had one interception and two fumble recoveries. He struggled, however, with his tackling, and coaches have quietly suggested that the Redskins may need to upgrade at the position in the offseason. A sixth-round draft pick of the Redskins in 2008 out of Nicholls State, Moore has played in 42 games, with 11 of his 12 starts coming this season.

Jones, 24, had been cut from the Saints' practice squad twice this season. The 6-foot, 193-pound cornerback went undrafted out of Portland State.

The Redskins also signed cornerback Doug Dutch, the DeMatha Gonzaga High product who spent part of last year with Washington's practice squad. The Redskins traded Dutch to Baltimore in the preseason for quarterback John Beck, who is now serving as the backup to late-season starter Rex Grossman. The Ravens cut Dutch in August.

By Barry Svrluga  | December 29, 2010; 1:09 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clinton Portis says he can still be a top-flight back
Next: Rex Grossman: Sunday 'is a very big game for me'

Comments

Sheesh... wonder how many Redskins I'll be able to recognize on Sunday.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 29, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

"...coaches have quietly suggested that the Redskins may need to upgrade at the position in the offseason."

Well, he's not exactly Sean Taylor, is he? Good reserve, though.

Posted by: 4skinz | December 29, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

if the giants lose, does coughlin keep his job??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 29, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I think so, Beans. It's been a few years since that title.

Going from 9-4 with a home game to take the division lead to 9-6 after two embarrassing losses has hurt pretty bad. Wrapping things up with another loss to the Skins and plummeting out of the playoffs might be the icing on the cake.

Hell, even if they make the playoffs he might get fired.

But they're not going to make the playoffs, because they're going to lose Sunday.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 29, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, I meant to say I think if the Giants lose, Coughlin will lose his job, not keep it.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 29, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Goodell is such a punk ibtch!!!!!! $50k???!!! Fine for someone who makes 10s of millions. Cuz they couldn't "verify that was favreeeeehs voice"!!! Ugh!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 29, 2010 1:06 PM

========
and maybe they couldnt verify that was Favre's photo... Anyone could of accessed that cell phone in the locker-room.
Also, you have to wonder if Favre's atty made a deal ref Favre's career ending injury from an unsuitable playing field (U of Minn's frozen field).
A good Atty finds leverage anywhere.

It will be interesting if the injured party now decides to sue Favre and the Jets, given the miniscule NFL Fine. Favre probably makes nearly 50k from the Wrangler Ad insert fees, daily.

Posted by: reader51 | December 29, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Diesel, I forgot that you work fer the Divide-And-Conquer Jersey Post, jumping at every oppurtunity ta tear down the Skin..

Posted by: frak | December 29, 2010 1:15 PM

Jersey home of Misfits (great), the Boss (great), Bon-Jovi (gay), Ginas and Jets. Pittsburg is the arm pit of America while Jersey is the ass hole. No offense to anyone...

DC home of Minor Threat, Black Flag, Fugazi, & the Skins. All great.

I'M one of the least negative guys up here, all I do is bring rainbows and sunshine on the rainy days of RI.

DC

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Graham Gano Named NFC Special Teams Player Of The Week
He hit the game-winner, of course, a 31-yarder. That's Gano's third game-winning overtime field goal, which ties the NFL record.

He also hit a 48-yarder early on, despite wind gusting as high as 29 miles an hour, and made both of his extra points.

Gano's kickoffs were strong as well: following his five kickoffs, the Jaguars' average starting field position was their own 23 yard line, 4.4 yards under their season average.

"The Redskins are expected to sign another safety." Barry- they signed Reggie Jones...

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Re: Favre

Who cares. He's finished, and he's going out like a punk. Serves him right. Drama queen.

Re: Clinton Portis

Got a chuckle at several of his remarks. Anyhow, I don't know any other athlete who comments as much on what people are saying about him. Dude must be really insecure and spend alot of time reading blogs and op-eds. Hope he sticks around as a 3rd-down back, if he's willing to take a big pay cut (which he's apparently not).

Posted by: p1funk | December 29, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Reggie Jones is a CB.

Looks like they are going to try out some replacements for Carlos Rogers/Philip Buchanon.

Posted by: p1funk | December 29, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Reggie Jones is a CB.

Posted by: p1funk | December 29, 2010 2:09 PM

Thanks- I know, I was pointing out to Barry that they've already filled the roster spot...Unless they IR/cut another player, Reggie Jones is the answer to Barry's prediction.

It also looks like the Terp KB25 will get another chance to audition as a safety this last game.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Black Flag was an LA band, Rollins was from the Federal CointelPunk program here in DC..Black Flag is probably an LA extension of it..58,000 Chinese peasants were killed by infected biowarfare food put out for them by Japanese Zen monks- it sickens me the depths of infiltration into reality the government is into...

Posted by: frak | December 29, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

RE: Faghrghvghre - any opportunity to think about Jen Sterger is just fine by me.

RE: CPo - Love mah 'Canes. He's strait up crazy. If he's healthy, give him a shot. But don't go putting any more resources down that well. Somehow, I doubt he'll last long, unfortunately. Looked good when he was healthy, though.

RE: K.Moore - IR? That guy got beat worse than anyone on this team this year. I mean, I guess so as a bidness move. But dang.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 29, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I thought Gabbert look good last night. I'm sure there's a zillion things that the scouts look at, but to me the kid had potential. I'm still thinking a NT in the first round, but if a potential franchise QB came around...just saying.

Posted by: Skin4Life1 | December 29, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

DC

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Me too!!!

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 29, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Its hard to believe how die hard some Skins fans are. Now Shanny is an expert on talent? What season have some of you been looking at?

Posted by: Jizel | December 29, 2010 12:49 PM

I was just going to say, how refreshing it was to read optimism from real fans such as Moe, Brownwood and Flounder, and then I got to yours.

Shanahan was handed a mess. It is obvious to everyone his offensive system makes wide receivers open and running backs productive. Every coach has flaws, Shanny is no different, but he is excellent at getting production from undrafted free agents such as Banks and Armstrong. He and Belicheck have done this all their career, taking nobody's and making them somebody's.

It will take some time to get rid of the baggage and change the culture in washington and I for one would like to begin with fans like you. Go cuddle up with ESPN and the rest of the naysayers, leave the real fans alone.

HTTR!!

Posted by: rodskin | December 29, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

DC

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 1:55 PM

I fart phuking butterflies up here.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 29, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I really hope KB25 has a nice outing.

It looks like the FS spot is up for grabs, and if he can convert to it that would be great.

As a converted corner, he'll have better coverage instincts than LL30 did at FS. Coming out of UM he was known as a big hitter (e.g. - Jahvid Best Puke Game) so hopefully he'll prove to be a stiffer tackler than Kareem the Pinwheel Moore.

Someone mentioned Dawan Landry was going to be a free agent? I'd definitely take a look at him.

Posted by: p1funk | December 29, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

frak- Hermosa Beach, California. But IMO they were at their best w/ DC's own Henry Garfield (Henry Rollins)...I claim them based on that.

Check out the book, Our Band Could Be Your Life by Michael Azerrad. It chronicles the careers of a bunch of punk bands from Black Flag to Fugazi.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 29, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Gross man beeps!

Posted by: Alan4 | December 29, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: 4SkinzForever | December 29, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Kareem Moore stinks.

I'd rather have Doughty as my backup.

Neither is a guy you want to start a season with.

I don't know why you keep your IR filled with wastes of space. I wouldn't.

Posted by: Thinker_ | December 29, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Whoo hoo! The return of Doug Dutch!!

Posted by: jj250 | December 29, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse