Redskins Win, but Are Elminated

The Redskins held off the Eagles as the game clock wound down, winning 10-3. But Atlanta's 24-17 victory over Minnesota elimated Washington from playoff contention.

What a finish, though, as the Redskins moved to 8-7. LaRon Landry made his play of the season to keep Reggie Brown out of the end zone on the final play of the game.

The offensive display by both teams was horrible, but the Skins' D made big plays to set up the offense and punter Ryan Plackemeir's heroics allowed the Skins to win field position and squeeze this one out.

It was a big, big win for Jim Zorn, whose team now has a chance to finish 9-7.

By Cindy Boren  |  December 21, 2008; 7:19 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Skins Lead by a TD after 3
Next: Blache Hopes Taylor Returns Next Year

Comments

go skins! good game

Posted by: tylaw | December 21, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Great hits by dirty thirty in this game. That's what I been waiting on all year. O play calling still sucks.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 21, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

So who has the inside track for the final wildcard slot?

Posted by: jiacinto | December 21, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Jason Taylor finally look like his old self. Notice he shadowed Westbrooke a lot today.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 21, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

If they played the rest of the league with the same intensity as the East games, this team would have 10 + wins. BTW, Jason Campbell's QB rating drops 14 points in the last 2 minutes of a half in 2008.

Posted by: Realness1 | December 21, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Just watching the clips on NBC of the MIA-KC game. How could they dramatically turn around so much, while WAS lays an egg?

Posted by: jiacinto | December 21, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Great win my a$$ they scored 10 points thanks to a defensive turnover. Plackamier saved the game for them with great punting.

I saw the same sorry a$$ offense I've seen for the last 8 weeks, they got lucky that the Eagles offense was worse.

We won but the same problems are still there.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Nice win. I'd still like to see Zorn return with a legit GM in place making smart personnel decisions.

Posted by: 1buj | December 21, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

jm, to say the play calling sucks is being KIND....man its just awful...so predictable...so stale..so friggin conservative in the 4th quarter....ugh...just terrible.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 21, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

ahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha

leave it to J Caca to refuse to give skins fans anything

"they win but are eliminated"

seriously dude the bitterness from you and the staff here is off the charts.

please quit after the season ends.

seriously, please quit.

you suck

Posted by: IHateJLC | December 21, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Right, Beantown and Flounder.

Exactly right.

Posted by: slats999 | December 21, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

The game was fun to watch just because of the defense. Gotta love LaRon Landry, he played like Sean Taylor! MeAngelo Hall played another great game towards his nice new fat contract. Plackemeiher punted schweet. ARL finally returned a punt for some nice gains. And it was nice seeing all the fans still in their seats.

Posted by: HelzYea2DaSkinz | December 21, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

I say keep Zorn and give Brennan a shot next week. Nothing to lose.

Posted by: fortysteps | December 21, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

from PFT, there is also a piece about someone hitting brady quinn with a weight...

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that, according to unnamed league sources, there are signs that Patriots V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli could be ready to leave the organization and become a G.M. elsewhere.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 21, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

nothing changed the same pathetic playcalling and execution.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know WHAT happened to Philly?

Posted by: slats999 | December 21, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

So what coaches will lose their jobs next year?

Posted by: jiacinto | December 21, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

So who has the inside track for the final wildcard slot?

Posted by: jiacinto | December 21, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Dallas over TB with head to head win. If Dallas beats Philly they're in I believe.

Posted by: will_ga | December 21, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

We better average 30 points a game next season!!!

Posted by: Skinalicious | December 21, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 21, 2008 7:29 PM |

I heard that today on the Fox pregame show if I were Snyder I would be on a plane tonight.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

greg,

Were you able to see the game?

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Slats999--I bet that Philly expected to win by default here. They thought that this game would be easy and they allowed the Redskins to beat them. I don't mean to throw water on the Redskins' victory; but, in all honesty, it was more a PHL loss than a WAS win.

In that final drive PHL lost the game. They threw inbounds throughout the entire drive. They cost themselves precious time. Maybe it was the WAS defense that precluded them from making catches and getting out of bounds. I don't know.

Posted by: jiacinto | December 21, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

We won but the same problems are still there.

Posted by: Flounder21

No question about it. I just sat there like didn't Zorn learn anything? This guy ego gots to be bigger than anyone at this point

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 21, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Flound, no kidding. The only bright spot was at least they threw the ball to Betts, only 15 weeks too late, but who's counting. Pass to Thomas for 17 in the first, and then don't go back to him till the 3rd quarter, pass to Davis in the first, same thing. Sherm Smith must GO.....

Thats it for me, I'm going out to shovel for the 13,432nd, time this weekend...talk to you peeps tomorrow...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 21, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

good thing we got all those Pro Bowl offense guys.

Nice to see (listen?) to see our punter helping us!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2008 7:31

Maybe he could throw in a free lifetime pass to six flags to sweeten the deal. Plus all the burgers he could ever eat. We seriously could use Pioli!

Posted by: will_ga | December 21, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I guess so.

They seemed so flat. I thought only the skins played like that!

Posted by: slats999 | December 21, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

got to re-sign Hall.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 21, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

great game by the dirty 30

Posted by: jonthefisherman | December 21, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

There's no excusing the sorry O, but...

it seems like with a couple of exceptions, lots of teams are having trouble putting up points this year. Does anyone else think so, or is that just me?

Posted by: slats999 | December 21, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Great win. Offense was still lacking though. I think it would be stupid to fire Jim Zorn now. We can finish 9-7 and 8-8 would be respectable for a rookie head coach (Joe finished 8-8 his first year at the helm). We have to give Zorn more than 1 season to develop this team and we could see benefits next year.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 21, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

great game by the dirty 30

Posted by: jonthefisherman

No question that Hall should be brought back. Seeing Dirty Thirty hit
like that made me think how it would be with the Reaper back there.
That would have scared the hell out of people.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 21, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

We won but the same problems are still there.

Posted by: Flounder21

JM220

Yeah, I know...I can't believe the Skins won when I've been crowing for WEEKS that we suck suck suck because I suck suck suck!! And Zorn's ego clearly is bigger than mine, because I know everything that he has to learn. And it's so true that the Skins got lucky...except when they lose, and that happens because they SUCK, not because of bad luck.

Posted by: cpascopr | December 21, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I wrote the headline, so you can rip me, not Jason.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | December 21, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Love Blanch. Just riped a callers comments about the prevent D in the 4th quarter.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 21, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

I flipped to the Jets-Seahawks game on CBS during a commercial break, and the announcers there were talking about how it was Mike Holmgren's final home game as head coach in Seattle. They were speculating that he'll likely take some time off, and that he'd probably never take another head coaching position, but that he might eventually look for a general management-type job somewhere, a la Bill Parcells. I wonder, provided Zorn can somehow survive and achieve some success, if Snyder would consider cutting Vinny loose and bringing in Holmgren?

Yeah, didn't think so.

Posted by: bwhoover | December 21, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Did anybody just hear the reporter in Detroit hammering Rod Marinelli about his son in law who is the def. coordinator. Marinelli should have kicked his ass.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | December 21, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Thought it was a good headline. Expressed the utter frustration of the season(s).

Posted by: slats999 | December 21, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

I feel for Marinelli, he is not a good coach but he is also not deserving of 0-16

Posted by: alex35332 | December 21, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

I wanted to convey, to Skins fans who might not have seen the game (it's the holidays; some people can't see every game) what happened today as succinctly as possible.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | December 21, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see the Skins beat a quality opponent in their house.

The Iggle D is pretty good right now. The Skins O did not give up any turnovers, didnt commit any stupid penalties, and scored enough points to win.

All you haters, please quit whining and take your prozac.

HTTR

Posted by: swowra | December 21, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

JLT, I listened to that on FOX. No class a$$ clown!

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 21, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Thanks D for a great game! Once again, shame on the offense for another pathetic showing.

Posted by: JCB9 | December 21, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

where's that Philly fan that's been around here talking junk the last couple weeks?

I think his name was "po" followed by some numbers.

lol

yall lost the REDSKINS, ouch

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 21, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

We will be back next year. Yes, we have issues to address - mainly depth on the line, special teams (fire Danny Smith) and game mgmt. Most of all JC has to take the step that he almost took this year. I think another year of seasoning under JZ will do that. Speak of, JZ has to come back. He will be 9-7 in his first season (unless we take that bad suggestion and start Brennan, we will beat the 49ers). Not bad. It doens't seem good given our start but most any of you woulda taken that in Week 1. 11 and 12 will develop, we will lock up 23, and hopefully draft some solid linemen. I see 11-5 next yr as very attainable.
HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 21, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Nothing wrong with the headline Cindy. We're just a bunch of myopic fans that can't see without our maroon glasses.

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 21, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

2 sry ass teams...JC and DM could have switched jerseys and it would've been hard to tell them apart....both don't have receivers that they can count on.....and when they do actually get the ball to them they drop it....that jackson dude has some serious speed

Posted by: K88J28 | December 21, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

All you haters, please quit whining and take your prozac.

HTTR

Posted by: swowra | December 21, 2008 7:50 PM |

No one is hating, your right we should be happy the offense sucks and keep everything the same for next year so it can suck again.

Any one who watched that game today should know this team is not that good, and they are terrible on offense.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Why do teams with poorer offensive talent score more points - lots more - than this team?

It's been this way for 3-5 years? If not longer.

This is true even when the line is healthy. They move the ball more consistently; but they don't put up 30+ points.

It's a puzzler.

Posted by: SteveMG | December 21, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Questions for me. Who is Jim Zorn?

Is Jason Campbell .... dull, phlegmatic? If so, then not much of a future, unless it is built COMPLETELY around the O line. Completely. He looks like he always smells real good, is clean, etc... But maybe not dynamic enough. But again, if the O line is super strong, that might be a match that works.

Bring Portis back? He's shown himself to be a real liability when he wants to be, and that to me is unacceptable. Of course, when he wants to be, he's also super, and he does always seem to play with heart. But a real mixed bag.

Posted by: slats999 | December 21, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Steve,
One thing that has driven me nuts the past 10 years or so was that we have never plunked down any change on a star kicker. You would think TeamDannyFantasy would have gone after a 5star kicker at some point. Think about this stat they said in the game, Our kicker has missed more 3 point kicks than any kicker ever.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 21, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

people, first yr under new coach, new system, turnover on the O-line...relax. This team will makes strides next yr on O and will have most of its Top 5 defense back. Zorn with a yr under his belt will be a solid coach. He, Moss and Portis will take some relationship mgmt class in the offseason and be fine. We will be a contender next yr if we take care of biz in the draft and keep this team and coaching staff together.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 21, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm thankful for the win but not satisfied with the pathetic offense that we have. JC seemed to have more time today but still appeared robotic as he tried to figure out who to throw the ball to.

Posted by: JCB9 | December 21, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

"Questions for me. Who is Jim Zorn?

Posted by: slats99"

In one post you managed to :

1) Judge a QB's talent by his appearance/smell.

2) Entertain the idea of cutting\trading Portis, which is basically impossible due to his huge contract.

3) Mock Coach Gibbs.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 21, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Only in pro-football can the social order be reversed. No Abominable Albino Snowman in Republican red. But a lovable Greg Blache with santa-glasses low on his nose in Redskins red giving us a Christmass gift. Kutos to Danny Smith and his squad also.

Posted by: chavez66 | December 21, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

notorious,

They can not fix this team with 4 draft picks, we are not one or two players away.

This team needs alot of help in many areas.

They will not be contending for anything next year unless they can score some points, and right now they have one playmaker.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it's been a revolving door in that area.

I'm not sure, though, that you need to expend that much cap room on a kicker. Teams seem to find good ones without breaking cap limits.

I thought Suisham would be the answer; he was pretty solid early on but has been a real hit-or-miss since then.

Posted by: SteveMG | December 21, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

I didn't judge him completely by his smell! I said, is he dull? If so, maybe not a good quality to have.

How did I mock Gibbs. Never mean to do that.

Posted by: slats999 | December 21, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Zorn deserves another year...Hopefully Vinnie will address the glaring O and D line issues via the draft and FA

Posted by: JCB9 | December 21, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

i like what i saw today from JT. a lil OLB some roaming and spying, very effective.
the offense needs fresh thinking, Zorn is calling the same plays week after week. its almost like they only have 15- 20 plays. when they are dynamic, they score (ie ARE TD to Cooley & devin reverse).

Posted by: priceisright | December 21, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JCB9 | December 21, 2008 8:06 PM |

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't think you spend much on a kicker generally but we have not had a good kicker in a generation, may as well plop down some change on an established guy who does not drop to a 50/50 shot from 40 yards out.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 21, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Why does eveyone want DeAngelo Hall, he got beat twice by Jackson deep where Hall just let him run by him - no double move - but the rookie couldn't catch the ball. First in the chest and the 2nd in his hands in the endzone.

Posted by: bangkokben | December 21, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

I think we have to go to FA for some stuff. I mean an O-line player is not going to contribute as a rookie (generally speaking). So any dire needs on the line I think we should replace with a FA looking at some upside.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 21, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

So any predictions as to how humiliating today's Redskin inevitable loss will be?

Posted by: jiacinto | December 21, 2008 3:28 PM

This guy, jiacinto, is about the biggest terd on this blog right now. Never has a good thing to say about this team. Only is happy when they're losing. Time for you to find a team you like, jiacinto, and stop hanging around here with your Redskins hate?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 21, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

"I agree FA's can be good if done properly, they have made some major mistakes in the past, but if you go after the right guys and don't over pay for them you can get some good players.

Posted by: Flounder2"

look at what the Jets have done in free agency on the line. That's what we need to look at and get a couple solid starters who are under 27/28, and then draft a couple as well.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 21, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

If only they took the Bengals game more seriously last week (too little too late)... did anyone else hear on Redskins Postgame Live that the Redskins are the only team in the league to not give up 25+ points in any game this season? That's unbelievable, that shows how terrible our offense is, to have 7 losses while never giving up 25+ points... our offense is so frustrating to watch.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 21, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Should we cut our losses with Suisham in the offseason, or hope he'll rebound and have a better season in '09? Are there any FA kickers that will be available in the offseason?

Posted by: JCB9 | December 21, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Truth,

I'm with you they need to be solid players they do not need to be superstars.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

If Lee Torrence was the QB of this team we would not have issues in the red zone.

Posted by: The_Spear | December 21, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: rachel216"

If we beat the Bengals and the Rams, the two weakest teams on our schedule, we'd be in the playoffs.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 21, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | December 21, 2008 8:15 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 21, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JCB9 | December 21, 2008 8:17 PM |

JC,

I would rather have you kicking field goals, we should definatley look for a new kicker.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Talent Evaluator, being realistic is hardly being negative. I am a true fan - I want to BUILD something, not watch a game through rose colored glasses. It's good to get a win. But come on, let's not fool ourselves here.

Posted by: dc4mckinney | December 21, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

TE,

We won true, but are offense is pathetic right now.

I am happy with the win, but the offense needs to improve big time.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

there are always some FA kickers out there i think you bring guy in for a tryout. If there were any this week I would even do it and sign someone for next year a few weeks early.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 21, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Great photo of the final play:

Posted by: Cindy Boren | December 21, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

"You don't have a clue what a terrible offense is, do you? Why don't you watch the Lions sometime? All you ever do up here, Rachel, is whine. Even after we win, you're still whining.

Posted by: talent_evaluator"

don't know about her constant whining

but how can you say our offense is not terrible? Seriously, it's disgustingly bad. I have lost sight in one of my eyes after watching some of our games.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 21, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

----------------------

with 100+ Div 1A schools out there I am sure one of their kickers is graduating, who can get the ball through the uprights outside of 40 yards.

Posted by: The_Spear | December 21, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JCB9 | December 21, 2008 8:17 PM |

JC,

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

It would be an ugly site if I was kicking!

Posted by: JCB9 | December 21, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2008 8:19 PM

Flounder,

JCB9 was in camp with the Ravens last fall and they cut him. He couldn't hit from beyond 28 yards. Definitely not as good as Suisham. So, I'm putting my money on the Flounder in camp next fall.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 21, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 21, 2008 8:22 PM

Look around the league Truth to see terrible offenses. Ours needs a lot of work, but it's still ranked above 15 or so other offenses.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 21, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

This team needs an infusion of former Georgia Bulldogs IMHO.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 21, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

TE,

Whats going on with you, I hate all the negativity to but this offense is very bad.

The Lions have scored more points then us, with out are great defense we might have won 3 games this year.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

We're 18th in offense.

Posted by: slats999 | December 21, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 21, 2008 8:26 PM |

Not in the most important stat scoring, we are 29th only the Raiders, rams and Bengals are worse at scoring and the Bengals beat us.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Nothing wrong with our kicker. 54 yards isn't realistic. JC is what he is, but given our investment and the lack of alternatives, he should be given another year. Zorn has to be here at least another year to show improvement. Any other decision for any other alternative would be INSANE. Agreed about "next steps": o-line and d-line are everything--more important than receiver, linebacker, etc.

I probably won't be renewing my season tickets. I don't think they'll make any improvements or they'll turn any corners. And the fan experience will continue to be among the most unpleasant in America.

Posted by: DCUnited2 | December 21, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

We Trade Down with our 1st Rd pick for multiple picks.... we will do the same as we did in the last draft, ( trading down for multiple picks )

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 21, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

1) Hail.

2) Kind of sucks that we gave Cowgirls new life.

3) This win changes nothing; still need to rehaul the team. Get rid of Jansen, Washington, Springs, et al.

4) To all the DeAngelo Hall haters - What friggin' CB do you geniuses suggest we lock up as our number 1?

5) Suisham is short on the 40 yarders...what did they expect from 54??

6) Was that really Plackemeier?

7) Thanks, Jason Taylor...but too little too late for this season.

Posted by: p1funk | December 21, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

According to SI, Redskins are 29th in points per game.

I don't care about yards or any of that crap, I'd like to have points on the board.

We are only ahead of :

Raiders
Rams
Bengals

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 21, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

DC,

Nothing is wrong that 54 yarder is not the only kick he has missed.

He is the worst kicker in the entire NFL, so I would say there is alot wrong with him.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

also, as an out of towner, I haven't been able to watch the last two games (ugh, watching ATL win today was like a kick in the nuts)

can someone explain what is up with Carlos Rogers? All I heard was that he got benched. He wasn't playing at a Pro Bowl level or anything, but he was having a really solid year as a #2/#3 corner. I'm confused.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 21, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

beep beep
a little news.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | December 21, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

pessimism (n.) the doctrine or belief that the existing world is the worst possible.

see also: jiacinto

Posted by: swowra | December 21, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

hell, I haven't forgiven Suisham for choking away the game in Seattle last year

momentum killer

ugh

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 21, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Rogers actually did start tonight - with Hall. Springs started at safety.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 21, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I'm still mad about that dang Clint Longley game!

Posted by: darmenmike | December 21, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Talent Evaluator : If you don't like my whining then just don't comment on my posts, don't read my posts, if you see my name just skip over it, I'm entitled to my opinion and I don't really care if you don't like my "whining."

how would you describe the offense then??

Posted by: rachel216 | December 21, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Boy, they sure do keep things exciting, don't they.
Play calling really did leave much to be desired, but I am heartened by this win. The team kept on playing for Zorn. And I actually got the sense that with bigger receivers this offense has a chance. (Though I still prefer a deeper passing game.)
A nice Xmas gift to be sure.
Here's hoping the Skins finish strong, and that Zorn gets another shot next year.

Posted by: ColumbiaUSkins | December 21, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm not buying the win....every year its the same old story--win in the beginning lose in the middle part of the season and win when there is no pressure. I'm not buying it.Good-bye@!!!

Posted by: joe12341 | December 21, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

What are you talking about "win when there is no pressure" joe12341? Did you not check the last two times we went to the playoffs?

We won our last 5 games in 2005 to get in.

Last year we won our last 4 games to get in.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 21, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

yes some temporary euphoria.. HTTR !! BUT BUT ,we all know the FO needs to step up in off season and patch the holes so evident in this aging team !! and sad to say but difficult to fill so much in one year...FO !! wake the F Up !!

Posted by: dl51 | December 21, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Attention all Skins Fan,

sitting at 8-7 with finishing no better than.500 I am happy. The skins couldn't asked for more! Look with a head coach and offensive coordinator with no experience JC learning yet another system. a horrible offensive and defensive line we as fans should be happy about the skins record this year because it could have been a lot worst. the skins were never a top tier team this year but they were not expect to have the record they have so we should be happy with this and be glad it wasn't worst.

Posted by: esheler | December 21, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I am going to ask Santa for a GM, and maybe Cowher. Really, I've been a good boy!

Posted by: coastallp74 | December 21, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

You've got to take your hat off to this defense. Despite a general lack of pass rush and little to no help from the the incredibly inept offense, they have been pretty damn good. With a pass rush they would be right up there with Baltimore and Pittsburgh, and that's saying a lot.

I've got to say that watching the 'Skins offense play has been one of the most frustrating, if not just down right maddening, experiences I've ever had as a Redskins fan. The best Jason Campbell will ever be is a game management qb. He is not a playmaker. He might do well on a team like Baltimore that has a great D and a pretty good line & running game. But the 'Skins, in their present state, desperately need a qb that makes things happen. Sorry, but that ain't J.C.

Posted by: clfrdj | December 21, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Redskins are better than Eagles!

McNabb has now twice commented that the Eagles are the better team and should have beaten the Skins. And both after losses to the Skins. GFY McNabb.

Posted by: redskincow | December 21, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Well I think it was clear after last week they were eliminated. They needed four teams to lose in order to stay in it. I am still happy they swept those dirty dirty birds. I am happy those ignorant Philly fans will be sitting at home watching the playoffs. Having said that I still don't know how the Eagles lost that game. The Redskins offense is still awful in scoring ten points. The defense is the best part of this team. With out that dominating defense this team would be 4-12.

Posted by: bigjofc | December 22, 2008 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Hey news flash Mcchoke the team that wins is the better team. That is why you play the game to find out who is better. Stop crying because you choked. That is what the Eagles do best choke and that is why they will never win anything. The Eagles have 0 superbowl wins and never will. C H O K E Choke. Choke Eagle choke crash eagle crash. That should be the Eagles fight song. Hey Philly sucks!

Posted by: bigjofc | December 22, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse

"Everything had broken down in any case and new things had to be made out of the fragments: and this was "MERZ"." -Kurt Schwitters

..These are words that apply not only to the Redskins but also to the new world economy in general..random fragments:

Yeah, but Gibbs won 8 games in a row his rookie year..

I'LL rip you , baby!!

Posted by: TheTruth11

UN-FREAKIN'-BELIEVABLE...Two freakin games against the Rams and the Bengals..But you gotta love Landry and Smoot on that last play..

POINTS, MAN, POINTS!!! WE WANT POINTS!!!

COLT!!!! WE WANT COLT!!!!

Posted by: frak | December 22, 2008 12:54 AM | Report abuse

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE POEPLE. NOTHING HAS CHANGE OR WILL CHANGE!!THE DOPE OF A BRAIN VINNY AND LITTLE WEE WEE DANNY BOY WILL ONCE AGAIN IN ABOUT 90 DAYS FROM NOW WILL REFUEL REDSKINS 1 AND BRING IN HIGH FREE AGENTS OVER 30-35 YRS OLD AND BUCK THE DRAFT, AND YOU KNOW WHAT? YOU FOOLS MY FELLOW SKINS FAN WILL DRINK THE BEVERAGE AND NOT KNOW WHAT IT IS. CONGRATS VINNY AND WEE WEE SYNDER IN THE OFFSEASON; GET THE OFFSEASON TROPHY ON THE WAY OUT YOU @@#### IDIOTS!!!

Posted by: joe12341 | December 22, 2008 3:11 AM | Report abuse

Dropped passes and missed blocks have nothing to do with play-calling, but everything to do with players. By bringing in Zorn Synderrato foolishly thought it was the 'system' that needed changing, which of course was a ruse to mask their horrid player acquisitions. This season should prove beyond any doubt that it's not the 'system', but who's IN the system. You mean to tell me Al Saunders is less innovative or capable than Dan Henning (Panthers) Kenneth Gilbride (Giants), and Cam Cameron(Ravens)? Hell, we HAD Norv Turner here, and no one calls plays better than he does.

Assuming Kelly, Thomas, and Davis come back next year more serious, the obvious needs are young, mean, nasty 'o' and 'd' linemen, depth at linebacker, and some young running back legs to push Portis, Betts, and Sellers.

The SF game should be interesting if only to see people audition for next year on both teams.

Posted by: pdfordiii | December 22, 2008 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Get off the freaking play calling already! That offense is full of dogs - what else is Z supposed to do? Portis can hardly stand up. The O line got zero push on the run and allowed free-runs at JC regularly (creative plays require TIME!!!). Thrash, the rookies, and ESPECIALLY Mr. Drop A.R.E. are liabilities that greatly reduce Moss' effectiveness, the list goes on and on...

Z did the right thing late yesterday, he swallowed his pride and rode his defense to the win.

Posted by: kone | December 22, 2008 8:08 AM | Report abuse

By the way...THANK YOU REDSKINS. I work in Philly, I hate the STINKIN EAGLES and hearing about them from their low class, brain dead fans.

That was my SUPER BOWL (can I write that without paying a royalty) yesterday! At this point nothing could've been better than watching the Eagles season die at the SIX INCH LINE. HA HA HA HA........

Posted by: kone | December 22, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

From the 'what if' department...

What if...

Pete Kendall decided against his Moss imitation.

Portis gets a least one goal line carry against the Bungles...

Alas...

Posted by: bmo63 | December 22, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

There has been some discussion on whether we should go out and get Julius Peppers. I don't think our DEs are the problem with the pass rush. I think the problem with the pass rush is that we don't have a big quick DT to collapse the pocket from the inside. Getting the proper push from the inside will bring the QB to the DEs.

Posted by: midniterc | December 22, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

midniterc - good point, i agree. a big-play speed linebacker would help a lot too.

Posted by: kone | December 22, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse