Posted at 12:52 PM ET, 12/20/2010

Reed Doughty hopes to play Sunday despite head injury

By Tarik El-Bashir

Safety Reed Doughty said he hopes to play next week in Jacksonville despite leaving Sunday's game against Dallas with a head injury.

Doughty suspects he was injured on the game's first play while he was tackling Chris Gronkowski. As Doughty and Gronkowski were going down, Brian Orakpo launched himself into the Cowboys fullback but instead hit the side of Doughty's helmet.

"I got hit on the first play of the game, and then the symptoms kind of got worse," Doughty said Monday morning. "I got hit in the jaw. I'm not quite sure what happened. I just know I made the tackle and got hit from the side, somewhere in my jaw or head."

Doughty continued to play but realized something wasn't right. He did not play at all in the second half.

"It was one of those things where I just didn't feel quite right," Doughty added. "Then, Kareem [Moore] was [saying] ...'I don't think he's quite right.' So, at that point, they just, the symptoms were progressing."

If Doughty is sidelined, a struggling Redskins defense could have depth issues at safety. The team had only two safeties active Sunday. When Doughty went out, second year cornerback Kevin Barnes was moved to a position he had not played since high school. The Redskins could activate Victor "Macho" Harris or turn to cornerback Carlos Rogers, who can play safety in a pinch.

It's unclear when, or even whether, Doughty will be medically cleared to return.

"We're going to take it day-by-day," Doughty said. "It's not like I got knocked out, or black out or anything like that. But at the same time, they wanted to take a precaution so that I didn't get something worse in the game that causes you to miss extended time."

Doughty stopped short of saying he has been diagnosed with a concussion.

"I don't know if the little term matters, but the fact is I didn't finish the game, and it was [because] I got hit in the head," he said. "I've never had a concussion before. Of course you get hit; it's football. There's times when you get hit and it doesn't feel the best. But this one was a different situation. I just wasn't as sharp as I normally am."

Doughty said he was feeling better this morning, but didn't want to speculate on his availability for the Jaguars.

"I'm feeling okay," Doughty said. "We'll see how stuff progresses later in the week. I don't feel terrible, but I don't feel quite myself yet."

By Tarik El-Bashir  | December 20, 2010; 12:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins vs. Cowboys: Defense not helped by early breakdowns on special teams, offense
Next: When will the Redskins and Donovan McNabb part ways?

Comments

Only one way to go...

Posted by: WRBD | December 20, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

(re-post)

How much was Dan Snyder involved in the trade for McNabb? For one thing, we'll never know.

But I cannot believe that after bringing in Shanahan AND Allen and making such a grand gesture of putting football people in control of the franchise that he would turn around moments later and exercise all the influence available to him as the owner by making them trade for a guy they didn't want.

That theory just seems silly. And I say this as a person who utterly loathes Dan Snyder, celebrates his every misdeed, and does not want his ownership of my beloved Redskins to continue.

I think it was just a terrible call, that McNabb could be made to fit into the Shanahans' precious, precious SYSTEM. They got it wrong.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 20, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

lmao, P_F!

Last season we were blanked by our division. Didn't win a game. Here we've won two and could beat the Ginas yet.

Seriously - who expected us to actually be better this season? We were HORRIBLE last year.

Good riddance to bad rubbish and lets focus on maximizing our opportunities.

Plus - watching Dallas fans begin to crap the bed in the 4th quarter was awesmoe. Sure I woulda liked to win... but it was still fun! And a good game!

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 20, 2010 12:55 PM |

Agreed and to elaborate on your point, this year still falls into the "if you told me this last season when we finished 4-12".

At the end of the last miserable season if you offered me Shannahan, Allen and even Hazlenutt with an opening night win against everyone's SB darling the Cowfagggots and wins versus GB and the Iggles......who would not have taken that?????

Seriously, can you even be honest enough with yourselves about that question? Especially when NO ONE saw the added goodies (AA, LoZo, LL30's improvement, BB, Torrain, KW and a couple others)?

Dude, were you expecting playoffs? Were you expecting Mc5 to come in and own the QB slot regardless of play? Fu*k Mc5!!! Who cares? He was a stop-gap anyway. Fu*k Portis. Dude's a loser at this stage of his career. Fu*k Arrington while I'm at it. That guy was a fraud who made a few plays that made Sportscenter but also lost us more games than he ever won us.

So I was expecting one thing this year and one thing only:

Actual "football people" capable of running an organization and taking the GM tag from the owner.

Guess what, we did that and had a couple nice surprises to go along with that.

Again, not sure why you continue to b*tch and moan.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 20, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand how this dude has been playing safety for all these years and hasn't ever been diagnosed with a concussion. That just seems odd.

But he showed his hand with that line about not knowing whether "the little term matters". Apparently he's willing to dismiss or downplay the significance of concussions, which hopefully puts him in the minority of players now.

You'd think they would all be taking head injuries seriously, since, y'know, the rest of their lives and all that.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 20, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Well...I learned one thing from this post...Macho Harris' real name isn't Macho.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 20, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 20, 2010 1:09 PM |

He's trying to make a living. He's not first round talent and isn't making a killing relative to a lot of other players on the team. RD is a guy who won't have many suitors if any so OF COURSE he's not going to come out or seek treatment if he gets his bell rung.

That's not a RD thing either, that's the mentality of the majority of players in the league who aren't highly paid superstars.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 20, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Why does this website still have a link to Devin Thomas's blog under "More on the Redskins"?

Posted by: AdamCr | December 20, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Don't think McNabb got a fair shake with that interior O-line that the Shanahan's put in front of him, but Rex definitely showed more touch on short passes out of the backfield and to the tight ends..Can he do that consistently?? We'll see against the Giants..Can Torain stay healthy?? The 3-4 has been as big a failure as anything the Redskins have failed to excel at..When does the magical 3-4 sprinkle angeldust all over the field??

Is it bong-thirty, Moe??

Posted by: frak | December 20, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

You know your comment didn't have anything to do with football IQ, and I'm not worried about keeping track of how many times you make racist comments. But if you want to ignore your stupidity, that's on you.

Posted by: AdamCr | December 20, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I appreciate you commenting on my response to Red. BUT, are you new or something? Racist comments (plural). Me?

I'm black you freaking nincompoop.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 20, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm numb to the Skins right now...didn't even watch the game yesterday

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 20, 2010 8:52 AM |
---------------

brown boycotts the redskins. as brown himself would say, "you can't make this stuff up".

Posted by: hessone | December 20, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm black you freaking nincompoop.

Posted by: Diesel44
---------------------
No, I'm not new. I remember when you time stamp reported Albert Haynesworth's drunken night out, and were upset that Kelly Johnson got the credit. I know you think of yourself as one of the smart football people here, and you're entitled to your opinion.

Congratulations on being black. It was a dumb comment, whether or not you think so. The plural was because you said you can count the number of times you've done that on less than one hand, but whatever.

Posted by: AdamCr | December 20, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 20, 2010 1:07 PM

There were more than a few, see for yourself...:

From leevi's list:

John Elway, Denver Broncos - 37
John Elway, Denver Broncos - 38

You might want to take special note of these 2 Super Bowl victories. Shannahan has a very similar QB to work with now who is 4-5 years younger than Elway. And remember, the Broncos were prohibitive favorites the year before they one these 2 rings but JAX upset them in the playoffs after going 13-3.

Shannahan + Mcnabb= 4 years of playoffs.

This is a moive that had to be made and it locks down our QB for 4 years.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | April 5, 2010 9:32 AM |

Posted by: Alan4 | December 20, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Nincompoop made it past the filters? Wow!

Posted by: PlayAction | December 20, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

nincompoop.

Posted by: Diesel44

Careful, anymore f*cking language like that and I'll have to hit the 'Report Abuse' button!!!

Posted by: monk811 | December 20, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I haven't caught up with all the RI commentin' action since the final whistle blew yesterday -- hopefully there has been an adequate level of complaint about not having Banks bring that final kickoff return out of the end zone with, what, less than a minute less to go.

Even from five or six yards deep, Banks had a better chance of getting us towards field goal range on that return than Rex's dinkin' and dunkin'. Even before the pick I knew we didn't have enough time.

And this was the guy who came in because he was so proficient at running the 2-minute drill, but with a few weeks of practice to be even more ready.

Barf...

Danny Smith must go, etc...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 20, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AdamCr | December 20, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I do remember being right about AH's Thursday night binge 8 HRs before it was reported and that you stated that "I was making it up". Not upset that KJ reported it, it's her job.

I was referring to the number of times..I respond in kind.

The coffee joke is weak, I was channeling my inner Red, that was the reason for the low rent humor.

And I don't care about anyone's ethnicity, religion, or sexual preference. The only colors I care about is BnG.

Good day to you.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 20, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AdamCr | December 20, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I was referring to the number of times..I respond in kind.

Good day to you.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 20, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

A couple of thoughts after yesterday's game:

1) There's nothing wrong with the offensive scheme that the Redskins are trying to employ. If Grossman -- Rex Grossman! -- can run it and put up thirty, why can't McNabb? Maybe all the crap that's been floating around about poor practice habits, not running the called plays, etc. really do have some truth to them.

2) What little value they could have gotten for McNabb just fell through the floor (see point #1). They'll be lucky to recover the fourth round pick for him now. That said, still think it's time to get what you can, and move on.

3) We need help at every position on the defense. This is BY FAR the biggest area of need, and really needs to be the emphasis in free agency and the draft. Linemen, backers, secondary -- we need it all. I don't have any problem with the fact that Shanahan wants to run a 3/4, but yesterday's game showed that the 'depth' players on this team are not good enough to run it.

Posted by: smurff1 | December 20, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Barf...

Danny Smith must go, etc...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 20, 2010 1:48 PM |

Dude your ignorance is only outweighed by your level of retardedness.

At that point, ST hadn't done crap. What if BB didn't make the 20? When he went with the touchback he saved us 2 things, time and yardage.

Every point you made today has been foolhardy. You're ineptitude, football-wise is actually surprising.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 20, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Four Touchdown Passes!!

Name the last REDSKINS QB to do THAT!!! I think it was for only the SECOND time in a DECADE.

Campbell NEVER did it....he's only threw for 3 TDs two times in his career.

Ramsey?....Nope.

Collins?....Nope.

Brunell?....Once. ONCE!

McNabb NEVER threw FOUR TD's for us.

He NEVER threw THREE TD's for us.

and in 13 games he only threw for TWO TD's twice.....TWICE.....IN 13 GAMES!!

How many times have we put up 30 points this year?......NONE

That was only the THIRD 30 point game we've had in 3 YEARS!!

Again, congrats Grossman! Nice FIRST GAME!!!

****RE: TDs vs. Turnovers****

3 turnovers MAY and at MOST turns into 3 TD's but 4 TD's will always be 4 TD's!!

Grossman's 4 TD's and two 2ptr = 30 points

Grossman's 3 turnovers = 14 points

Get over it, Haters!

Posted by: filmchis | December 20, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smurff1 | December 20, 2010 1:55 PM
-----------------------------------------
McNabb is due a big bonus if he is with the Redskins in the preseason. I am not sure how the whole contract thing works before that but any time that would trade for him would assume that contract. I am thinking he has an "untradeable" contract and they just cut him. Hurts to hear that given the draft picks given up for him, but I think it's a given. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they released McNabb before the season ended. I think there is some cash benefit to doing that.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 20, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Barf...

Danny Smith must go, etc...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 20, 2010 1:48 PM

++++++++++++++++++
Nate, you sound a little depressed. Hang in there, man! It's gonna get better (I think)...

Now, go have a nice avacado and foccacia sandwich. And don't forget the bacon...

Posted by: smurff1 | December 20, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smurff1 | December 20, 2010 1:55 PM
-----------------------------------------

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 20, 2010 2:04 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm pretty sure that his contract had a $3.5M signing bonus, and he is due a $10M bonus if he's on the opening day roster. Gives them the off-season to try to find a taker. Although, I don't think they'll find anyone...

Sad to think that we now have to spend a draft pick this year on a QB. That's the real gut-punch to this whole debacle.

Posted by: smurff1 | December 20, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Beeps

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 20, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

The hue and cry was for a football man who could tell Snyder to "get the f*ck out of my locker room"....and we have TWO of those people now. The Mc5 deal is more looking like Snyder's last stand. If there is anyone to blame for f*cking up the franchise's rich history it's the Danny.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 20, 2010 12:32 PM

I can't buy that, PF. Ever since Shanny arrived, he has made all of the decisions. He knew he was getting a real leader, a real class individual, in DMac. Unfortunately, #5's scrambling has diminished, and he does throw too many errant passes for Shanny's style of play. He rolled the dice, and this time it didn't pan out. At least he's apparently manned up to admit that he made a mistake.

Posted by: frediefritz | December 20, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

A few thoughts:
1) Shanny came in with a “retool and reload, but don’t rebuild” plan to win now while getting the roster in shape for the next few years. It was wishful thinking then. Time to rebuild.
2) In the past, Shanny did a great job of getting an old dog in Elway to adopt new tricks. Sure Elway had a great running game for the first time in his career. But more than that he actually improved his touch, his accuracy, and his ability to read defenses. Shanny couldn’t duplicate that coaching with McNabb.
3) That said, I think – like what I perceive was his failed strategy with AH92 – he’s trying to break MC5 down. Imagine MC5 saying “d*mn if Rex can do well in this offense, so can I…Coach give me another shot and I’ll do what you want.” It won’t happen, but nothing would surprise me.
4) Draft a QB. Rex is only playing to prove whether he can steward the position until the rookie is ready. He’s not more than a 1 season option. More likely a 4-8 game option.
5) If you look at the last 20 years, good QB play has been the single biggest difference for the Skins. We’ve had average to terrible O-lines, and good to rancid Defenses. We’ve always had bad kickers. We’ve rarely been a turnover producing or a sack-generating machine. Those handful of seasons where Gus, Brad Johnson, Brunell, or Todd Collins played well we’ve gone to the playoffs. The many years where we’ve had average to putrid QB play we haven’t. Good QB play can cover a multitude of sins, particularly for the offense-oriented coaches (Norv, Gibbs) who’ve made it to the tournament. The Skins struck out on Heath, Ramsey, and JCam. But we’ve got to keep swinging. In Denver Shanny needed to weather 1 losing season with an inexperienced Jay Cutler before Denver got to 9-7 with a terrible D. Draft a QB, more young linemen on both sides of the ball (just find some better than Heyer on O and 1-legged Maake on D). Find a safety better than KM41. Pick up solid performers at wideout and some more hungry RBs from free agency and waiver wires. We can live with a rebuild if the personnel seems promising.

Posted by: The_Sons_of_Billy_Kilmer | December 20, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Build a killer D....and a young O line. That's what wins games. Any NFL back can run through holes. QB is another matter. Reid knew McMiss was done. Shame on Shanny, or Snyder...whoever wanted him. People who work in the NFL knew Nabb was done. How come Shanny didn't?? QB will take some time to fix. I don't know how good Beck is, but he's 3rd string for a reason, and he's 29. Drafting a good QB would be tough with our picks, and you have to groom them for 2 to 3 years usually. We're in a tough spot for a few years.

Posted by: Riggo2 | December 20, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse