Posted at 11:45 AM ET, 11/27/2010

Reed Doughty's assignment: Step in for injured LaRon Landry

By Jason Reid

Starting in place of injured strong safety LaRon Landry, veteran safety Reed Doughty played every snap on defense in the 19-16 victory in overtime against the Tennessee Titans.

And because of injuries during the game, Doughty also played every snap on special teams. The Redskins know they can rely on the dependable Doughty, who will be in the opening lineup again Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings at FedEx Field.

"First of all, Reed is tough as nails," coordinator Jim Haslett said. "He will do exactly what you want. You ask Reed to go run through a wall, he's going to pick out what bricks and he is not going to deviate it. That's Reed."

On Thursday, Landry (Achilles' tendon injury) was ruled out of Sunday's game against Minnesota. Doughty is not as physically gifted as "Dirty 30," who is having the best season of his career, but he'll give the Redskins everything he has to offer.

"He is a tough guy. He is really smart and he does exactly how you want it done," Haslett said. "Sometimes you have to just go out and play, Reed does it by the book, but he does it right. That's the one thing you like about him: He's a tough guy.

"Last week, he went in and played every snap on special teams. I thought he was going to pass out at the end of the game. He knew that we didn't have anybody else and he did a heck of a job."

By Jason Reid  | November 27, 2010; 11:45 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Andre Carter, H.B. Blades rise to occasion when called upon
Next: Galloway waived; Austin activated

Comments

We're going to need some speed from Reed.

Or whatever else he's got.

Posted by: bangkokben | November 27, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

But is he tough enough?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | November 27, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately he's going to run through that brick wall real slow. Hope he's up to the task tomorrow, AP is real fast.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 27, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wireman65 | November 27, 2010 12:13 PM |

Chris Johnson was faster

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 27, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

maybe reed can channeling his inner seantaylor tomorrow...rip sean taylor...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | November 27, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Chris Johnson was faster

Agreed. Johnson got 130 yards but didn't find the endzone. I think the Vikes will feed the ball to AP more than the Titans did to CJ. I hope we can somehow stuff the run and get Bret to launch a few rocket balls.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 27, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Well he is better filling in at strong safety than free safety....bottom line iis we need to basically get all new safeties save Dirty 30.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 27, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I am watching the UFL's championship game. Not bad game quality wise. But its struggling with both teams starting QB's knocked out.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 27, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | November 27, 2010 12:54 PM

Reed is a good backup, the rest can go.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 27, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wireman65 | November 27, 2010 12:51 PM |

Me too.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 27, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Reed is a good back up and I thought Hortan had potential too but he seems to have fallen off this year before he was IRed. I think he deserves a chance to prove himself at least through training camp next year. Bottom line we need some competion at that position next year.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 27, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

dammit need spell check on this thing

Posted by: wireman65 | November 27, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, another "Doughty Steps In" piece? I understand we like to keep ST21 alive, but I believe this tired storyline has played out.

More interesting is what happens if Reed gets hurt.

Posted by: WorstSeat | November 27, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

dammit need spell check on this thing

Posted by: wireman65 | November 27, 2010 1:12 PM |

don't worry, beep-beep will be the only peep that will correct your mistake. and that scamp, he's no spelling bee champ, right scamp

hale tew thay redscinns !

Posted by: hessone | November 27, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

So UFL related scouting report.

Guy worth a look: Chase Clement, 24 year old QB.

Could make a good backup QB. Got good accuracy, and he gets out of pressure quickly. Not quite the zip on the ball one needs to start in the NFL, but some strength training could help with that. His nickname in the UFL is "Vanilla Vick" its a bit overrated but maybe could be nicknamed "Vanilla Mcnabb" in terms of his scramble ability.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 27, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

thaat speeling krap iss ovurratted

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 27, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

thaat speeling krap iss ovurratted

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 27, 2010 1:30 PM |

eye heer yew scamp

Posted by: hessone | November 27, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

thaat speeling krap iss ovurratted

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 27, 2010 1:30 PM |

eye heer yew scamp

Posted by: hessone | November 27, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Dose ti cont as badd spellin when your pass drunk?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 27, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

My take on the Shana-Plan...

Year One- establish depth

Year Two- overhaul the line, offense n defense

Year Three- Add playmakers

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | November 27, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

My take on the Shana-Plan...

Year One- establish depth

Year Two- overhaul the line, offense n defense

Year Three- Add playmakers

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | November 27, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Another guy worth a look for the NFL from the UFL.

Adrian Awasom, DE, 27 years old.

He is 280 lbs so close to that size a 3-4 team needs for a DE, has good quickness off the snap. For a guy who is close to the 300 lb mark he is lean, which is a good sign IMHO.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 27, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

MY FINAL UFL guy worth a look for the day

Jim Fassel, Coach

I got to say one thing. How many guys can win a game much less a game with the word championship tied onto it, when their starting QB and RB are injured.

We skins fans should admit we made a mistake in not wanting Fassel when we got Zorn. Jimbo's clearly a good coach, and I think even though he could get another chance at the NFL level I see him trying to stick in the UFL.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 27, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | November 27, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

No, I will not admit we should have hired Fassel instead of Zorn for the simple fact that the Zorn experiment finally yielded some fundamental organizational change in the form of Allen, Shanahan and no Cerrato, no more Snyder meddling etc.

God only knows where we'd be if Fassel had come in and lobbed up a couple 8-8 years.

My guess is Vinny would still be here, Snyder would still be scouting prospects, Jamarcus Russel would be our starting QB, we would have signed every over 30 free agent on the market last year and would have set a pro sports salary record in the uncapped year with a $300 million net payroll.

No thanks.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 27, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Fassel would be lucky to get a co-ordinators job in the NFL. Not saying it can't happen - see Haslet same first name too.

But we were lucky to not land Fassel. Fassel wouldn't have been able to general that locker room any better than Zorn. Next thing we're going to hear how great a coach Denny Green is.

Posted by: bangkokben | November 27, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

F Jim Fassell.

The most prudent move when Gibbs up and left -- surprising everyone after that amazing playoff run -- would have been hiring Gregg Williams.

But Snyder didn't like Grilliams, or Grilliams didn't like the idea of not getting to hire his own staff, or some combination of the above. So we got Zorned AND lost a pretty doggone good D coordinator.

Ah, well.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 27, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Yeah in hindsight.......anyone would have been better than "the medium" but I just have never liked the guy, he's got giants stink on him.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 27, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I salute Reed Doughty for being a "great story" and all that, but just like James Thrash a lot of other dudes before him, I hate that our front office is so badly mismanaged that every season we have to rely on dudes like this to limp through the season.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 27, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I hope we kick ass tomorrow, of course, and I hope our defense takes care of business, but I realize that would undermine the perception of LaRon as our defensive MVP.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 27, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

every season we have to rely on dudes like this to limp through the season.

I hope that's just the Vinny hangover, I look for the roster depth to improve moving forward.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 27, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Dose ti cont as badd spellin when your pass drunk?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 27, 2010 2:36 PM

Noo, eet kountz az a valyant efert.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 27, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I sure as hell hope so, wireman, as someone who has staunchly maintained that we're in much better hands with Shanny and Allen than we've been in since... well, since Gibbs/Casserly. We shall see.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 27, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Depth is one of those tricky things. You can only have so many guys of one position on the roster. I say the 'skins do away with bye weeks. They always seem to be healthy just until the bye week and then the wheels fall off.

Posted by: bangkokben | November 27, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I doubt if Doughty is rowdy enough REED on D like he OUGHT to Yet.

Posted by: iubiquity | November 27, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

We shall see.

Yup, I'm a koolaid guzzling so and so, I really think, provided Dan doesn't scout talent, we're much better off. Won't happen over night, 3-5 year plan. What can happen over night is beating the Vikes tomorrow and unfortunately it will probably take over night to get back to Hampton Roads. If we can somehow keep Peterson from beating us I think we have a real chance tomorrow. Should be a beautiful day for football!!

Posted by: wireman65 | November 27, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

dammit need spell check on this thing

Posted by: wireman65 | November 27, 2010 1:12 PM |

wireman --

I have a spelling checker.
It came with my PC.
It plainly Marx fore my revue,
Miss takes I cannot sea.

I've run this poem threw it
I'm sure your please too no.
Its letter perfect in knit's weigh,
My checker tolled me sew.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 27, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Stretch left. Stretch right. Bootleg left. Bootleg right. Score more points and put a ton of yards on that suddenly old defense.

3-5 year plan? Who on this team is part of this plan? Offense: McNabb, Williams, Armstrong, Cooley/F. Davis? What about the other seven guys?

Posted by: bangkokben | November 27, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Give me 11 Doughty's on defense and 11 Rabach's on offense and... wait a minute, that's about what we have talent-wise.

Posted by: coparker5 | November 27, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bangkokben | November 27, 2010 4:37 PM

Hopefully K. Williams and a couple hurt guys. Maybe a backup FB.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 27, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

My point is that we can barely name four guys on the offense and see them a starters for this team in three years. It is likely the same on defense.

Landry, Hall, and Orakpo. You might be able to throw Zo on there. But we're looking at replacing 15 starters in the next three years,, nevermind depth. So you got to get all the mileage you can out of the guys here and hope that while you're replacing you're reloading. You can't get five starters a draft over the next three drafts.

Posted by: bangkokben | November 27, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

McNabb, Cooley and the entire O Line probably won't make it to the promised land with us. Except TW, he'll be here. Hell, I hope I'm still breathin'. A few more games like last week and.......

Hey beep, I guess paying attention to what I'm doing works better, but it's not my strong suit.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 27, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I agree, it's gonna take a lot good work, and luck, from the front office to turn this thing around. We're gonna have to get it from the draft and FA, maybe 3-5 years is optimistic. But I do think we're headed in the right direction.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 27, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wireman65

Tampa went from a disaster to 7-3 in 1 year. 3 years to turn this thing around is the max it should take. If the guy in charge really knows what he is doing.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 27, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 27, 2010 5:08 PM

Sure hope you're right Z, but we've been a disaster for quite a while, since the ball coach was here, excluding the brief respite we got when St Joe was here.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 27, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

well i cant blame anyone for disliking the stink of giants. But I stick to my point.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 27, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

zeek,

I do agree that turning a football team around can be done quickly as history suggests if you have the right coach and qb you can turn it around. Sean Peyton and Drew Brees joined the Saints the same year and have gone 50-30 since including last year's Super Bowl.

Tampa Bay is still a ways away as their victories are against: Cleveland, Cincnnati, Carolina 2x, St. Louis, Arizona, and San Francisco.

Posted by: bangkokben | November 27, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

HAIL!
Redskins sign Terrance Austin off the practice squad and waive Joey Galloway.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 27, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | November 27, 2010 5:25 PM

That's cool but I think his stinky self is where he belongs.

Anybody want a shot of rum, I hate to drink alone. No I don't, never mind.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 27, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Sloey Galloway just released by redskins!!!

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | November 27, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

HAIL!
Redskins sign Terrance Austin off the practice squad and waive Joey Galloway.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 27, 2010 5:34 PM

Best news I have heard in quite some time. Something to be really thankful for this weekend.

And for those like me who need a link:

Posted by: kerzon417 | November 27, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

That means it's time to update the guess the inactives.

Posted by: bangkokben | November 27, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

jreid is passed out on a couch somewhere

Posted by: hessone | November 27, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

"About F'ing Time"

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 27, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Redskins sign Terrance Austin off the practice squad and waive Joey Galloway.

Yippee!!!!

Posted by: wireman65 | November 27, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

My one question with TA is, with many teams in need of WR at this time why didn't any other team sign TA off the Skins practice squad?

The jints signed DT## of waivers over TA whom many of us like. Wonder why?

Posted by: kerzon417 | November 27, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

The jints signed DT## of waivers over TA whom many of us like. Wonder why?

Perhaps they're stupid??

Posted by: wireman65 | November 27, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

ESPN -980 has confirmed that CB Carlos Rogers will play Sunday. Also, as Mike Shanahan indicated on Friday, and remains true as of Sat PM -- Casey Rabach & Artis Hicks both expected to be active. The plan is to start Montgomery, play Rabach if neccessary. -Chris Russell

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 27, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Or maybe they're trying to de-brief him for our upcoming game. To bad for them he slept through most of the meetings and only knows the lyrics and step show to the fat chick's videos.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 27, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | November 27, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

scooped beeps

Posted by: RomoLongballs | November 27, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bangkokben | November 27, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Good post, and great point. This schedule is shocking. It's as easy a schedule as a team could ask for in the NFL.

I don't see TB winning any more than 9 games, and they have not shown any where near enough this year to declare them "turned around" as someone said above.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 27, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Problem is not Doughty. Moore is awful at free safety. You've got to be able to tackle.

Posted by: Jurgensen9 | November 28, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse