Reflections Of An Unforgettable Day

What I will probably remember most from this day is the image of Jackie Taylor bounding around while friends, loved ones and dignitaries honored her father. She was seated right below where we were, hopping around with the ballerina grace of an 18-month old on the balls of her feet.

No matter who spoke at the funeral today, there were two constants within their remarks - Sean's smile, and his boundless energy, always on the go, never wanting to stop playing football. Jackie is her father's daughter, lighting up the room and scurrying around the front of the stage for the better part of three hours with a pacifier in her mouth, darting from one relative to the next. I found myself watching during any pause in the day (reflecting on my own children all the while), and sometimes I smiled while following her circuitous path, even while others were speaking, their words washing over me.

The ceremony was tremendously touching, and the strength and poise showed by all who spoke, under these most demanding of circumstances, was moving. Sean's sister, speaking about having her best conversation ever with his brother tonight in her prayers, brought me to tears; his uncle, revealing memories of Sean's first day of pee-wee football, was touching as well.

Whether you knew Sean or not, and regardless of any preconceived ideas or biases anyone may have brought into today, if you watched this unfold for three hours it was impossible not to feel something on a deeply human level as those who knew this man best shared their recollections.

I found myself constantly thinking back to the simple truth that unless we have really spent a considerable amount of time with someone, we don't know them. Much as we may think we have an idea of what a person is about, what they stand for, their home life. how they interact with those in their neighborhood, or how they conduct themselves away from the spotlight, the reality is we have no idea. And that is of particular import to those granted the opportunity to frame public thought and bring these athletes to life.

This isn't a novel thought, hardly a revelation, but on days like this the tremendous responsibility of those paid to write, talk and comment upon others - and the impact those words can have - strikes at a visceral level. The sheer outpouring of support for Sean today, the goosebumps that came from the anecdotes being relayed, speaks to the impact this young man had on others. This wasn't fabricated emotion, and the size and passion of this audience wasn't just some reflection of the fact that a young, rich and famous athlete was being buried today.

It was because Sean Taylor was being buried today, someone whose slipups and missteps played out before the media, but whose private moments - befriending children, helping out youth football teams, bringing joy to the lives of those around him - rarely if ever did.

The words of Florida City Mayor Otis Wallace will, I hope, stay with me as long as pursue this career, when he urged that the "media gets a small lesson in grace and humility," from this event, resisting the need to jump to conclusions. He also asked that the next time a celebrity or public figure is in this position, that we with the pens and microphones - "Take a really deep breath and think of Sean Taylor and do it a little differently."

The fact that the room erupted with a standing ovation as he said these words was lost on no one. Sean's Pastor, David Peay Sr. elicited chants of support when he spoke about media coverage, too. He explained that Sean's life trending upwards, that he did nothing to provoke the tragic outcome that befell him a week ago.

"Sean didn't lose his life, Sean gave his life," Peay Sr. said. "Father, he wasn't in the street, he was home."

This afternoon was real and heartbreaking and fully brought to life a 24-year old trying to be a better person, which is a lesson for us all. He was no saint and he wasn't perfect and I got to see his surly side on more than one occasion, but it's a side of myself I've shown to others as well. If Sean wasn't yet at a point where he was prepared to share his vulnerabilities with the world; if he didn't want to reveal himself to the media or pontificate, so be it. We already knew of his blemishes, and in the last week we have learned much more about his journey, unfortunately, through his passing.

So many people today said they learned to better appreciate life and love from having been around Sean, and that's a message I'll try to take out of this. Clinton Portis spoke of his friend's Peace, Faith and Heart, trying to emulate Sean's will to be more positive. "If he can do it, we all can do it," Portis said.

Sean's faith, and Jackie's birth, clearly were the genesis of his alterations. Those closest to him took comfort in the fact that Sean's religious beliefs had become more paramount in his life, a refrain echoed throughout the afternoon. Whatever your religious affiliation, or whether you have one at all, the strength that those grieving here took from their spirituality was palpable. It carried the day, from one speaker to the next.

That faith was expressed most beautifully by the choir and band, who managed to add a somber soundtrack to a day of mourning, yet also raise spirits high when they broke into inspirational tunes. This was as much about celebrating everything that Sean was - father, brother, son, teammate, leader, man-in-progress - as it was bereaving the person who is suddenly gone far too soon. The ceremony captured all of that, Jackie Taylor's endless prancing embodying Sean's on-field aura and all those that spoke helping us better understand why he be missed so profoundly

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 3, 2007; 3:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jackie Garcia's Sister Speaks
Next: Things I Overlooked From The Game

Comments

Well stated, Jason.

Posted by: RumpledHillskin | December 3, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Very eloquent, thank you.

Posted by: bhayesp | December 3, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

YOU WILL BE CONSIDERED ONE OF THE GREATEST REDSKINS SEAN. WE WILL MISS YOU!

NOW.....WE HAVE TO MOVE ON! STARTING WITH A NEW COACH NEXT SEASON.

Posted by: jjwilson312003 | December 3, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Good work Jason. Good work . . .

Posted by: jclansburgh | December 3, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

JLC.. it was great hearing your humilty in your words. Great stuff, JASNO. Top Notch. It was great reading Wilbon's chat.. trying to defend himself will the Mayor FL CITY, FL put Wilbon in his place. I'll say it again. The artcle about Black Men leaving the neighborhood was a good message, but it had NOTHING TO DO with Sean being killed. It had to do with him being RICH. It's great to know that some WAPO writers can learn lessons.. and some can't..

REST IN PEACE SEAN.

Posted by: relishfilms | December 3, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

That is a beautiful post. Thank you, Jason. It provides a perfect counterpoint to the Shapiro column.

Posted by: jessica2 | December 3, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Well stated JLC! God bless Sean and his family.

He will be missed and he definitely taught me the real lesson in life. Give everything you have every single moment, because you never know when your last moment will be.

Posted by: aneesh12 | December 3, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

UN-BELIEVABLE, J-LA. Bravo to you, and to Cindy, for the efforts that you've both put in this week. Honestly...you guys deserve nothing but the best in life.

I will say that this paragraph:
"I found myself constantly thinking back to the simple truth that unless we have really spent a considerable amount of time with someone, we don't know them. Much as we may think we have an idea of what a person is about, what they stand for, their home life. how they interact with those in their neighborhood, or how they conduct themselves away from the spotlight, the reality is we have no idea. And it is of particular import to those granted the opportunity to frame public thought and bring these athletes to life.

This isn't a novel thought, hardly a revelation, but on days like this the tremendous responsibility of those paid to write, talk and comment upon others - and the impact those words can have - strikes at a visceral level"

Seemed like a not too subtle shot taken at Wilbon/Shapiro. Even if it wasn't, better words could not have been written.

Thank you guys, staying abreast of this, getting the most accurate information, trying to make sense of this whole thing was easier because of your hard work.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 3, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Jason! I am going to print this and save it in my memorabilia collection.

Posted by: dealer | December 3, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

It's always a shame we never appreciate what we have until it's gone. And though he lost his life well too soon, his legend and near mythical status have grown even more. He'll be an inspiration for generations to come, though I'm sure he'd rather be running around on the field and hugging his wife and child than be frozen in time.

Posted by: adrianmuys | December 3, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I think "hit the nail on the head" sums up your words...I just hope we all heed those words, and everyone finds peace through the faith shown today...and another thing, I think Wise & Boz said it well today...give the coach, the team, and everyone else a break wasn't it a little much, a little to soon, to expect them to play perfectly and (though it would have been nice) win one for Sean? Thanks JLC...you didn't do it for this reason but P King was right to recognize your work...thanks...RIP Sean...

Posted by: youthguync | December 3, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Moving. Moving indeed. Thanks.

Posted by: mile.high | December 3, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Good work once again. This past week you've given us more insight than anyone...It's a shame it has to come with such tragedy. Hopefully we can all learn from this and see how easily life can be taken away. ST will be missed. it's still hard to believe. He'll never be replaced but we have to move on and try to repair everything that's been broken from this.

RIP #21

Posted by: nashooh | December 3, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Jason for your work over the last week! I was greatly moved by the service and was happy that the media coverage was addresesed. I hope that your career grows and prospers along with Kelly Johnson's at Comcast. It is also my hope that those "scribes" who REFUSE to amend their comments over the last week are brought to task by the viewers and readers that "pay their salary". I once heard a reporter say that it is imperative to remain impartial and never become the story: you have accomplished that!! Unfortunately, Wilbon and Shapiro have made themselves the story for me and that will not be forgiven. It is my hope that they and their kind have "media experiences" similiar to what celebs and athletes go thru. It will be good to see how they deal. In closing, I again thank you!!

Posted by: cmann0831 | December 3, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Jason,
Thanks for bringing it home to all of us.

You're a credit to your profession.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 3, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

The speakers who knew Sean Taylor moved me. The speakers with agendas bored me.

That contrast made it all the more apparent how much Sean will be missed by those who loved him.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 3, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I think the one thing you've managed to do Jason is put his past in the proper context. It is part of his story and needs to be told, but only against the backdrop of the changes he'd made in his life.
Thanks for all you've written in the last week. I'm not sure why his death has hit me or others so hard. But you've certainly helped a lot of people deal with it and we greatly appreciate your sensitivity.

Posted by: kellerb | December 3, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Jason-I know I'm not alone in feeling this death more strongly than would seem to make sense.
Being a fan means in some way always hoping for and seeing the best in a team or player. We won't see the best of what Sean could have been on the field-but clearly those close to him saw his best off it.
You've done a beautiful job Jason-and it has made a difference.
Blessings to your family-and all who might read this because somehow they feel they need too...
and rest in peace in sean taylor.

Posted by: panamusic | December 3, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

That was beautiful Jason. I know this has been trial-by-fire for you and so many others at the Post, and you've passed with flying colors. This post might be the finest piece of writing to come out of this entire tragedy.

Posted by: drischord | December 3, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Very nicely put Jason.

Posted by: PDiddy | December 3, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Thanks again to Jason and Cindy and all at post.com for the outstanding coverage over the past week.

And thanks to the Redskins Insider blog community for being an excellent (though hardly perfect) support group.

Suffice to say that after almost 18 months of reading and over a year of participating, after this past week I appreciate the blog and everybody who makes it happen on a whole new level.

Hail.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 3, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Jason, excellent post. I hope this closes a painful chapter and the team and fans can start to find some closure.

RIP Sean, we will miss you, on the field and off.

Posted by: pulldownclaw | December 3, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

People are rightly mourning the tragic loss of the man. The other tragedy of this is that the man's abundant talents can now never be expressed again and will never be fulfilled. As someone remarked earlier, he will forever be 'frozen in time'.

The whole sad situation reminded me of something from another time, another sport.

As someone who only saw Duncan Edwards through grainy film clips, remember that when you describe Sean Taylor to children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, please remember to describe him as a complete person, not just a wonderful player. That is honouring his memory.

Posted by: Redcoat | December 3, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I watched the entire funeral at my desk. I laughed and cried a lot! I am grateful that it was available to all to see. Thank you for your kind words and insight into what a lot of us have been saying all week long.

Posted by: burnie424 | December 3, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I think this post should be permanently placed on the "Recent Posts" column under the "A Friend in Need" post. I really appreciate how much you've poured into the blog this past week. I can sense that you see the emotional need that the fans have for this kind of information, so much more than the obligatory "Nothing to Report - Tuesday" post just to keep people happy. This is so much more than analysis and couch QBing... Sean Taylor's death hits home to so many and I am really glad that you have been so on top of everything. Thanks Jasno.

Posted by: Dorf | December 3, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Jason, that was a great post. Really excellent! I was unable to see any of the service but I doubt there will be a better account of it reported anywhere else in the days to come. I don't think you are the only person who has learned lessons today Jason. I think we will all have learned something from Sean Taylor. I know I have.

RIP Sean. You will be missed and have touched more lives than you could ever know.

Posted by: tartanskin | December 3, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Jason, Thank you! I have followed this story all over the internet, news, etc..I am a die hard Redskin 'til the end, born and raised in the Washington Metro area. I have to say that no article captured the unscripted, human side of all of this quite like you did. We, the fans our most concerned about Sean/Jackie's families, but we are also concerned about the players and the entire Redskins organization. Thank you for allowing us a glimpse into their hearts during this very trying time.

Posted by: forkyim | December 3, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Jasno,

You wrote:

"I found myself constantly thinking back to the simple truth that unless we have really spent a considerable amount of time with someone, we don't know them. Much as we may think we have an idea of what a person is about, what they stand for, their home life. how they interact with those in their neighborhood, or how they conduct themselves away from the spotlight, the reality is we have no idea."

Does this only apply to journalists? Does it also apply to bloggers on RI who have been bashing Wilbon, Shapiro, and each other for the past week?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 3, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

TA, let it go dude....

Posted by: gregmarino88 | December 3, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

LaC, you are brilliant and i appreciate your work. I watched the entire funeral, in a sense, while trying to earn my money at work. It was a wonderful Home-going service, and hopefully it was of some comfort to his family. I was heartened to see the young people who had the strength to be able to speak at an occasion where it was obvious that their hearts had been broken, and still be able to tell people that there was hope, good memories, and love in the room.

Those of you who are whining that a it was a 'religious' service; Christians have Christians services. Calling people to Christ is what we do, preferably every chance we get. And a Home-going (because that's what he has done: gone home) service is one place where it is done. And by the way, preachers preach!

Posted by: merzydoats | December 3, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

I have posted before, in the past week, about the diligence and professionalism that has been your reporting over the past week. But your coverage today has taken it to the next level with the entry, above, capping it off. Thanks, again!

Also, I encourage everyone to read a piece from this week's "Newsweek" magazine. Here is another great piece of journalism with the writer encouraging her media colleagues not to jump conclusions and she specifically calls out Wilbon.

"The Search For Thugs"

Posted by: StumptownChris | December 3, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Once again, Great work Jason.

Posted by: COskins | December 3, 2007 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

Well done Sir! I thank you for keeping me and the rest of the RI nation up to speed as things developed and sharing your compassionate words during these trying times. Thank you Jasno and Cindy for all you hard work.

Posted by: Forrest | December 3, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

That may well be the best post you have ever written. Bravo Jasno.

You have done a service to your profession this week. Keep it up.

Posted by: jlpowell77 | December 3, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Perfectly stated Jasno!
Absolutely perfect!

Thanks again for all you have done!

Posted by: Soup17 | December 3, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Very thoughtful, Jason. Thank you.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | December 3, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Jason.

Posted by: goskinsgo | December 3, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

(wiping away tears) THANK YOU for "getting it". Unlike many of your brethren sports writers, including the two idiots who write for your paper and whose work I will never read again, you have handled the reporting of Sean Taylor's tragic death with accuracy, dignity and grace. Let us all hope the media does finally "get it."

Posted by: mtenan | December 3, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Well said Jason, I havent read anything that comes close to what you wrote as far as emotion and capturing the mood of the funeral. Again well said.
Rip #21

Posted by: SAK2 | December 3, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Jason. This post is one that I know I will re-read many times. Absolutely right on the money. You've been so great to us the readers throughout this entire ordeal.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 3, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Super post Jason. As far Sean's misbehavior, the only way that it would be justified to bring it up would be if it had something to do with his death. To speculate that it did is not journalism, it's entertainalism. Leave that to Entertainment Tonight.

I'd love to hear the interview Dick Schaap is doing with Sean right now. Peace.

Posted by: dbowen11 | December 3, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Jason, you deserve all the credit you have received this week and more. May you find continuing success in your life and career. Without you, so many of us would have had an even harder time dealing with this tragedy. You truly are an asset to journalism.

Posted by: mjlrock | December 3, 2007 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon's original article, and his "chat" today where he would not apologize, but did take alot of arrows, are of a piece - all about Wilbon. That's why he can't apologize - it's all about him, and the awesomeness of him, so how dare we question his opinion of himself? As opposed to Jasno, who actually told us something about someone besides himself.

Posted by: carver9 | December 3, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

I think that everyone who reads this post will understand what it was like to be at FIU Monday morning. Thank you Jason for all the hard work that you have put forth during this trying time for everyone. I think all Redskins fans appreciate the time and dedication you put into the blog, and it shows in everything you write. Well done!

Posted by: chagnon10 | December 3, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

In Portland it's been cold, windy and rainy for the last two or three days, but there is indeed a part in the clouds and column of light shining on Nate's house.

Hail the new Skins fan!

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 3, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for your efforts. You've given us a window into all of this, allowed us to hear and see the whole sad tale with your eyes. My heart has been broken all week long, and I never knew Sean and have never spent any time among the Redskins. I can only imagine how hard it must be for you to keep going and working through all of it.

Posted by: Annie-Jazzy | December 3, 2007 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for this Jason. I couldn't watch the funeral today - because I just couldn't watch it. I'm still so sad.

Posted by: mmok | December 3, 2007 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Thank you JLC. I am lost for words right now. May we all learn from today and treat each other better.

Posted by: jm220 | December 3, 2007 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Jason, I've never really tapped into the Insider until this horrific story unfolded last week. I have to say that your work in delicately and so honestly covering this has been nothing short of phenominal. And your wrap-up post of the funeral brought me to tears. I'm on business in South Bend, unable to follow all the TV coverage surely going on back home in Virginia. But you have allowed me to be a part of it and from such a terrifically insightful and thought-filled perspective. Thank you so much for handling so well such a traumatic story.

Posted by: impactplan | December 3, 2007 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Jason -

First, I'd like to thank you and everyone at The Post who has covered this story so thoroughly over the past week. In true WP style, you've kept it "real," especially for those of us geographically separated from DC.

Second, and perhaps most importantly, you've been our eyes and ears through this entire ordeal and that's what defines, in my mind, a journalist. My first journalism professor told our class that "news is what affects people's lives" and this tragedy impacted lives of sports fans and ordinary citizens in a myriad of ways.

This most recent post is simply brilliant and is a must read for journalists everywhere.

Keep up the truly exceptional work.

Posted by: mistrdg | December 3, 2007 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Bravo. Commendations are due, not just for your eloquence in this situation, but for your humanity. I can only regret your maturity and depth is not shared by who want to use this entire week for their own purposes, whether it is Wilbon or those who look to place blame for the loss of a game yesterday. A life is not a game, in any sense of the term.

Posted by: forces | December 3, 2007 7:13 PM | Report abuse

I concur with Dorf. I believe this post should replace 'A Friend in Need' or should be out on top of it.

JLaC - This excellent post will get you on ESPN/SI/TV or where ever you want to go. I must say this is the best post ever.

This has been a rough week for everyone. Life is presious.

I know my daughter was one of the 1st people to give him a hug in heaven. She is/was a handful just as Taylor's daughter is. I just hope he and everyone who past before me keep her happy until it's my time to go home.

I think I saw somewhere that Gibbs said that Sean is playing a 100 year football game or something to that effect. Well, Saraye is right there on the sideline cheering him on.........

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 3, 2007 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Wonderful piece. It would be nice to see this published in the print Post.

Posted by: scottj | December 3, 2007 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Jason, Truely insperational. You are no longer a Raven. Like ST, you are now one of us. I think what is most interesting is that for a man who we kept most of us at a distance is turning out to be so beloved by all. How many people were at the funeral? Amazing.

Posted by: jandlml | December 3, 2007 8:00 PM | Report abuse

terrific, terrific post ...

Posted by: dwcorbett | December 3, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Ok, some people may not like it and I apologize is some think it's too early to start talking football again, but all I have to say is...

Beat the Bears!
Beat the Bears!
Beat the Bears!
Beat the Bears!

c'mon people, let's get the train rollin, beat the Bears, and go from there! This team is not out of it, I swear it.

The cowboys game on Dec. 30 is an easy win, provided the Cowboy's don't slip up between now and then (and provided that Green Bay doesn't win out as well). Because if dallas has homefield locked up, they will sit Romo , TO, and the rest of their key players. So if we beat the Bears, we need only worry about the Giants and Vikes. THIS IS DOABLE, PEOPLE!

As Jimmy V once said, don't give up. Don't ever give up.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 3, 2007 8:26 PM | Report abuse

It was a very moving ceremony, especially LaVar Arrington's words about Taylor. I wish #56 was still in burgundy & gold.

As for Jasno, well, I'll just say thanks for doing your job.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 3, 2007 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Wow Ray Lewis really trying to fight back those tears.

Posted by: jm220 | December 3, 2007 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Jason or Cindy,

Rather superficial comment here. But any chance you can ask someone why Brady is not wearing the 21 on his helmet?

Great post Jason. Great work.

Thanks.

Posted by: deutschbp | December 3, 2007 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Raven D at the end of introduction said Sean name at the end. That was really big of them.

Posted by: jm220 | December 3, 2007 8:53 PM | Report abuse

scratch that. It's there now. Wasn't there during pregame.

my bust.

Posted by: deutschbp | December 3, 2007 8:54 PM | Report abuse

deutschbp are you sure? They have two numbers on tonight. If he isn't I hope he get his ass handed to him.

Posted by: jm220 | December 3, 2007 8:54 PM | Report abuse

jm220

If 21 isn't on Tom's helmet, that would be a monumental gaffe. But, unless I heard confirmation otherwise, I'd blame an equipment manager for making a really bad mistake, not Tom Brady.

Adam

Posted by: argh | December 3, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

It's on there. The 91 is for Marquise Hill, a NE DE who was killed on a jet ski on Lake Pontchartrain in May.

I don't know if, in all the sadness this week, anyone ever mentioned Evel Knievel's passing this week. Yeah he may not hold a candle to Sean, but the guy was an American icon of sort, almost along the lines of an astronaut.

RIP Sean.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 3, 2007 9:21 PM | Report abuse

good for you, Jason. really appreciate the sentiments and the beautiful writing.

Posted by: rehundt | December 3, 2007 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Great work bro! Thanks.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 3, 2007 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Excellent summary Jason. With writing like that, you're not going to be a beat reporter for long.

RIP #21

Posted by: RambleOn | December 3, 2007 9:47 PM | Report abuse

How very well-written. By a responsible journalist who has behaved all week.

I have NOTHING good to say about Michael Wilb. and some other people at the Post.

When it comes to racial issues, the Post is just clueless about how clueless it is.

Here in DC, the post thinks that the major concern in the black community is police brutality. Nope, it's "Where are the police?" The overwhelming majority of people in this city are law-abiding and want more, not less, police patrols. The way the Post covers crime in this city, you just know they don't listen to many middle class black people.

Sigh.

Well, Jason, thanks. Wish people like you were in charge.

Posted by: lacoatrack | December 3, 2007 9:54 PM | Report abuse

jasno,

thanks for the scene.

Skins fans,

It looks like another season without meaningful games come holiday season. I'm still holding out hope for this Thursday. I don't see how this team beats the Giants, Vikes and Cowboys but if they win Thursday. Here's a fan that hopes that can happen.

Posted by: bangkokben | December 3, 2007 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Jason,
I just want to thank you for all the hard work you've done this past week. You've done an excellent job keeping us informed as information became available.

Also, regarding this post - superbly done. I had so many emotions watching the funeral today. I didn't know Sean, but the testaments of friends, family and teammates made it crystal clear that Sean touched so many lives. It's easy to see how Sean became a premier safety in the NFL - the stories of his tremendous energy and amazing work ethic warmed my heart. We've lost a great man and he'll always be a beloved member of our Redskins team.

Thanks again.

Posted by: clagundo | December 3, 2007 10:07 PM | Report abuse

R.I.P. Sean. I have shed many a tear this past week. I think that you were such a rock, such a foundation or keystone on this team that I may have taken you for granted. Everytime the ball was thrown down the field I expected you to be there, It was a given, most of the time you were. What a great ride you took us on, me and my family. Such pride I take in your efforts being a born and bred Redskins fan. Monday mornings I would chuckle despite myself as I recounted the gator arms and dropped balls as you closed in. You were the greatest. The time we got to enjoy you was way too short. I had imagined you as an older gent having your number placed in the ring of honor after a long run full of honors and Pro Bowls. Holding your daughters hand and waving to the crowd. I can close my eyes and still see you number 21. God bless you. God give your family the strength to carry on with out the brightness you brought to them. You touched us Sean, and we LOVE you for it. I cant deal with knowing the times you will miss with you daughter as she grows. I have two children of my own, one just about 2 months older than Jackie. Everytime he makes me laugh I cry, knowing these times of laughter and joy you are not here to live and see. I cant believe I am sayng this... Goodbye Sean Taylor, I will remember you forever.
Robert

Posted by: cherryrobert | December 3, 2007 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Well said, Jason. Thanks for this, and for all the hard work you've done this week keeping us updated about this horrible, senseless tragedy. It's much appreciated.

RIP, 21.

Posted by: js_edit | December 3, 2007 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to hear the interview Dick Schaap is doing with Sean right now. Peace.

Posted by: dbowen11 | December 3, 2007 05:34 PM

Amen, dbowen11.

Posted by: js_edit | December 3, 2007 10:28 PM | Report abuse

The Monday Night game tonight, is pretty good, but the one in Heaven is better:

Howard Cosell: Untias is back to pass. He has Max McGee over the middle. But no! Here comes Sean Taylor. Interception! Taylor breaks a tackle. He's to the 10...the 5...touchdown, Sean Taylor!

Hail!

Posted by: js_edit | December 3, 2007 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see that at least one local team has heart enough to play inspired by Seans passing tonight.

Posted by: Tyler84101 | December 3, 2007 10:44 PM | Report abuse

it was definitely touching to see Ray Lewis get the U-Crew together before the game and tell them to play for SeanTay. He made no attempt to hide his emotions, crying during the moment of silence.

i didnt know the U of Miami players were THAT tight. pretty cool cause that's probably the only school that has such a tight fraternity in the NFL.

surely hoping the Ravens beat the Pats, regardless of how much Skins fans dislike B-more....so sick of this undefeated crap every single BLEEPing week.

as i say this, boller throws a pick and Pats can tie it up.

DAMNIT

Posted by: student1234 | December 3, 2007 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Jason,
The beginning of the football season, training camp, I was not a very big supporter of yours. In fact, I sent you two emails that let you know, I thought you could offer so much more.
In the past week, you have kept us/me, informed with grace and integrity, like no other. Since day one of the shooting you have informed us/me of everything that was going on, you have provided us with a place to grieve and what you wrote today was just plain amazing.
I can't thank you enough, for allowing me a place to visit, read, and share my thoughts over this past week. I honestly can't explain why, I felt as sad as I did, even felt funny about shedding a tear at first. But the stories where you can see, hear and feel a man begin to turn his life around was real and so were my emotions. Your blog was a place where I could share and read others thoughts and it began the heal process. You gave us all a place to share that. You indeed could do more and you did.
I appreciate your time and effort over the past week, words can't express the gratitude, but I hope this at least is a start.

Best wishes and God bless,
Chris Woody (posting name on here is Hail to 'em)

Posted by: chris.woody | December 4, 2007 10:08 AM | Report abuse