Stopping Bush Is Mission One

I used to be down on Reggie Bush. I thought the Saints' former top pick was overrated, overexposed and a product of hype. And to a degree I maintain that stance (though the Beckham commercial, the extended one that ran leading into the 2006 World Cup, was genius). But I think once you get beyond viewing him as a traditional running back - which is his position, of course - and evaluate him more for the unique 5-10 productive bursts he can give you, rather than his average per carry, then you see his greatness. (And no, the fact that The Mayor, Jason Reid, is a huge USC guy did not sway my stance on Bush, for the record).

The guy presents problems for defenses. Period. You must worry about him. And sometimes that alone is enough to derail an opponent. To me, he's a faster, bigger Brian Westbrook. He's not the runner that Westbrook is behind the line, but with the ball, in space, he is trouble.

Evaluate him based on a big-play quotient - did he do something special with the ball four-to-five in a game, whether on offense or the return game? Look at the combined yardage and overall number of touches, whether runs or receptions. That's where you can figure his worth

The Redskins are focusing on defending a bevy of screen passes heading into Sunday, for good reason. Players expect Bush to be put out on the flank as much as possible, and figure he will attack the outside linebackers, both of whom seem hobbled, whether it be Rocky McIntosh or Marcus Washington. That match-up might go a long way to deciding this thing Sunday.

The Redskins are using practice squad CB Byron Westbrook to mimic Bush with the scout team in practice this week - Westbrook also filled that role a lot last season, including "being" his brother, Brian, during prep week to face the Eagles. The Skins are hoping he can give them enough good looks at what Bush might do with the ball in his hands and a head of steam, though it's difficult to duplicate.

Jason Taylor spoke glowingly of Bush the other day, and mentioned how difficult he can be in one-on-one, explaining that to contain him will take more than one individual defender breaking to the ball, talking about how the Redskins had to "rally and tackle."

Players here would also be stunned if the Saints do not use their jumbo packages more than usual and put Bush behind some beef and run him right at Taylor, considering his knee problems and his struggle against the Giants. Don't be surprised if second-year running back Pierre Thomas plays a larger role than expected as well. People around the league tell me the Saints are very high on him and he is emerging more each week. The Illinois product was signed as a free agent in 2007 and one person who has evaluated him on film compared him to Ladell Betts, but with a quicker first step and better acceleration.

During special teams meetings, the focus is on Bush, players said, because he can break a game on returns. Special teams coach Danny Smith is pounding Bush's name into their heads and Rock Cartwright, a stalwart on the kicking and punting units, has pointed to Bush and Thomas repeatedly this week as potential difference makers.

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 11, 2008; 12:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Unrestricted Kelly
Next: Blache Wants D to Play Like "Wild Animals"

Comments

Posted by: Me | September 11, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

first?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 11, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy | September 11, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 11, 2008 11:48 AM

I'm with you. I think it stems from the area being a clusterfudge of outsiders and transplants who already have other allegiances. Some of the things you touched on tend to apply to folks who sold out to Dallas despite being born and raised in Redskin territory.

Places like Green Bay and Pittsburgh have folks who were born and raised there, and therefore it's heresy for them to root for anyone else. It's in the fiber of their communities and their being. You don't have that kind of thing in D.C. because being different is both accepted and celebrated.

I moved to central PA and since there's no NFL team here, the area is a mix of Skins, Ravens, Steelers and Eagles fans. All within 2 hours from here and none can lay claim to the territory. Not a bad set up at all.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 11, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Goooodd Morrninnn Redskinsss Buddies,

Well if it aint the sower mude gang today. Come on over to the other side folks. After all, I heard tell that your town's proper title is Warshington, Dallas Cowboys.

Yall take er easy.

Posted by: Slim Pickins | September 11, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Skins will have problems with this team, big time. I just hope they heavily pressure the QB, that's their only chance.

Posted by: joeblazin | September 11, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

F Reggie Bush. He can expect some of this on Sunday...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 11, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy | September 11, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Sad.

Posted by: Fletch F. Fletch | September 11, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I think the Skins will produce a very solid win on Sunday. Looking at their brutal early schedule they know that this game is critical. Plus, all the negativity in Metro DC has got to be driving them nuts. Look for a great day from JC and Kelly, and a score in the range of 28-14.

Posted by: Mr Cheerful | September 11, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Goooodd Morrninnn Redskinsss Buddies,

Yall take er easy.

Posted by: Slim Pickins | September 11, 2008 12:13 PM

Yes, and to be a proper Cowboys fan, you have to butcher the English language and embarrass your country and everything it stands for. Mude? You have an Emmitt Smith jersey, right?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 11, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

why does la Canfora have to act like he 's a good football talent evaluator?

'I said this about him....' or 'I think that.....'

translation: laCanfora has never fastened a chinstrap

Posted by: Mittens | September 11, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Wow, seriously Flounder?

The JLC hate and "axe to grind" comments are getting pretty ridiculous on this board.

I guess the input by actual Redskins players and coaches had nothing to do with JLC's praise of Bush here.

Posted by: psps23 | September 11, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

So basically what you're saying Lac is Reggie Bush is the guy that Kelvin Bryant was supposed to be right?

Posted by: el freako | September 11, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Brown,

You missed his spelling of Washington

Warshington

Posted by: Flounder | September 11, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 11, 2008 12:23 PM

PSP,

I have seen way to many negative comments from JLC to beleive that.

People were always saying positive things about Bush, just funny how when he is coming here to play us JC all the sudden thinks he is the greatest player on earth.

Posted by: Flounder | September 11, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 11, 2008 12:19 PM

It probably is Emmitt Smiff

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 11, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Alex, do you live in the DC area? How many Dallas fans do you know?

I really don't get it. The Redskins are sort of forced down your throat if you live and grew up around here. TV, radio, newspaper. You're almost force to like them. Forbes (I think) made a list of the most loyal fanbases. Washington came third behind Pittsburgh and Green Bay. I didn't see DALLAS or the Patroits any where on that list of the top 10. It's not like the Redskins haven't been good in decades like the Lions. This team won a super bowl in 1991 and two in the '80s. There is a rich tradition with this football team. I became a fan mostly because majority of my family are Redskins fans, but I have a couple that are Dallas, Philly, and NY fans. I grew up around here and the first super bowl I was able to comprehend what the hell was going on was in 1991.

'Skins for life!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't care what anyone says about Reginald Bust. A bust is someone who doesn't justify their draft position (3rd overall). I think he's a decent player, but is gassed and overhyped. I don't get the love fest with Bush. Yeah dude makes a couple of nice plays here and there for a game, then you don't hear or see anything from him for weeks.

F Reginald McBust

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 11, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Best dern line of this post:

"Special teams coach Danny Smith is pounding Bush..."

What's her name? Har har har, har har har.

Posted by: Slim Pickens | September 11, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Brown,

You missed his spelling of Washington

Warshington

Posted by: Flounder | September 11, 2008 12:24 PM

No I didn't. I was just so disgusted by the "mude" thing that I didn't want to add anything that would detract from that debacle.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 11, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Reggie is known for that 'big play' ability. I'm thinking he coughs the football up twice. Big plays, for us.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 11, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

"Special teams coach Danny Smith is pounding Bush..."

Heh, heh. Alllrriiight.

Posted by: Glen Quagmire | September 11, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, Reggie Bush? Nice speed, crucial returner, but not an every down back. He's basically Desmond Howard 2.0. How am I supposed to be scared of a guy who's only there on 3rd down?

I would be more scared of Brees and Shockey then I would of Reggie.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 11, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

What the shimhorn is goin on. Folks the Slim Pickins at 12:31 aint me, I promise ya on a stack of pancakes...that were not me and I'm just a little hacked off about it. Fess up you inposter, and take yer verbel lickin from ole Slim.

Posted by: Slim Pickins | September 11, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

JLC, if Reggie is a bigger faster Westbrook then he too would be a beter runner behind the line. Dont comapre someone as established in the NFL to someone who prob dosent have 2gs on the ground yet.

Posted by: Stu | September 11, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Red, I not only live in the Area, I live less than 6 blocks from the capitol. I know 3-4 cowboy fans personally, but you see these @$$hats with their cowboy flags on their cars and their cowboy hats an walking around town. There are 2-3 people in my neighborhood who I think must have had their TO jersey stapled to them because its all they wear.

Some of them are doing it just to be a pain. I went to a Nat's game a few weeks back and some idiot was wearing a cowboys hat there. I mean, looking for a fight much?

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 11, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I had Bush on my FF team last year.
He was worthless.

Posted by: stumped | September 11, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Why worry about Bush when we're busy doing cartwheels and somersaults because Colston is hurt?

C'mon, how much damage can a guy like Devin Hester do. He hardly touches the ball except on special teams.

What's a few touchdowns between friends? With our high powered-O, we'll run the rock right down their throats. Even in the 4th quarter when we're trailing by 17.

Posted by: Slobberknocker | September 11, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

In the previous post JLaC forgot to mention that Renaldo Wynn plays for the Giants. He was laughing out our OLine while he was in there. Did anyone else see that?

Posted by: 4th | September 11, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Jasons coment on Thomas at the end makes him good enough for me to grab him as a prospect RB.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 11, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

World's Most Powerful Magnet Under Construction

The last line of the article is the best ..

"They have to evacuate the entire building when they turn the magnet on," said Boebinger. "A magnetic disassembly will make a big boom."

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 11, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

"Week 8: Detroit Lions
This is a stretch, but hear us out. There's a legendary story, told to me by some of the veteran schlubs, about when Lions President Matt Millen was broadcasting games back at the turn of the century. He and the schlubs were heading to the locker room at FedEx Field and Millen was talking to Daniel Snyder. At one point, Snyder reportedly told Millen to call him Mr. Snyder. Millen kept calling him Dan.
"

Isn't Millen older than DAN?

Posted by: 4th | September 11, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I would be more scared of Brees and Shockey then I would of Reggie.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 11, 2008 12:37 PM

Seriously?

Bush had 8 receptions for 112 yards last game.

The guy is going to get 20-25 touches, more than any other playmaker on their offense. He's by far their biggest threat. Bush is not a 3rd down back. He's an every down back who only lines up in the backfield about 50% of the time. That's what makes him so dangerous. You never know where he'll be.

Posted by: psps23 | September 11, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

With Brady done and Peyton hobbled, you can easily argue this is the best offense if football coming to town this week. We're not gonna pitch a shut-out, and it would be unlikely that we hold them below 20, the put up over 400 yards (343 passing) against Tampa who has a very good defense that even got a pick and scored on a fumble. This game is on the offense, we gotta get at minimum 3 touchdowns to win this game, period.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Wow that sucks. I loved "fletch" and Chevy (Chevy before his deal with the devil ran out December 31st 1989 and he was no longer funny) i named my dog Fletch

Posted by: Skinz | September 11, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I would be more scared of Brees and Shockey then I would of Reggie.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 11, 2008 12:37 PM

you obviously don't watch much football. He took most of their snaps last year when healthy and he took most of them last week and was the difference maker against Tampa, he gashed them coming out of the backfield and that 50 yard td reception was pure speed. He is a threat everytime he touches the ball to go to the house.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Crazy Super-scientists with their giant magnets and their atom smashers.

They are gonna destroy the world one of these days by accident.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 11, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Just wanted to pass along the news that I'm dating my sister, and my uncle/dad is gettin outta rehab and will be back in the family dubble wide shortly...

Posted by: Slim Pickins | September 11, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Dude Slim Pickins is funny, cool and seems give and take critism well. Lay off his name.

Posted by: Skinz | September 11, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

of course slim pickins is cool, he has been buried underground for what 30 years?

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 11, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Crazy Super-scientists with their giant magnets and their atom smashers.

They are gonna destroy the world one of these days by accident.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 11, 2008 12:52 PM

so was it the cavemen who created this world by accident?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

You better believe if I get a shot at Reggie, I'm taking it. I'm hittin' him hard. It's won't be like last week where I got bowled over. I'm gonna be a God Damn missle.

Believe it.
-Dirty 30

Posted by: LaRon Landry | September 11, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Yeah LaRon!

Posted by: Prison Balls | September 11, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

NO can do what the Giants did offensively.

But they don't bring the D the Giants do.

Posted by: stumped | September 11, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Bush is a lot smaller than that guy LRL ya better knock him out.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 11, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

you can't crap talk after you got absolutely run over like you were a little kid. Although, you did make a very stupid decision there, if you go low, don't try and still hit his thighs hard, either go high or go for the ankles, going for Brandon Jacobs mid-section at full speed is like jumping in front of bus for anyone that ways less than 280 pounds. LaRon thought he had the big boy pads on, forgot he was giving up 40 pounds in that exchange.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

forgot he still had those LSU pads on, can someone get on that i dont wanna see purple and gold. Its burgandy and gold. but hell put a smackin on Bush and Jermey Dropey.

Posted by: Stu | September 11, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

+++I'm tired of running into all these damn Cowboy fans in the D.C. area. What's sad is that if you go to any other football markets, there appears to be unwavering loyalty to their respected NFL team.
Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 11, 2008 11:48 AM+++

Two points. That "America's Team" crap makes frontrunner fans go for them. NFL Network treats Dallas as their very special buddy. HBO hypes them again this year. Plus--and I hate to say this--Jerruh Jones is a warmer and fuzzier dude than D. Snyder

second point. Years of losing erodes loyalties. When i went to the 'skins/Cards game in Arizona a few years back about half the stadium was Redskin supporters. And it was a REGULAR season game.

Posted by: Corkczar, Crotchety Blog Peep | September 11, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

stump, disagree on the NO/Giants comparison. While NO has what I think is/was a much better passing attack when Colston was in there, I don't think they can pound the ball as the Giants were able to do.

Posted by: Greg | September 11, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

True you have to account for Bush, but that doesn't make him out to be the stud you're trying to make him out to be, zjfr2 & psps23. Dude has had big games the last two years, and just when you think he's ready to be that dude, he just simply goes away for weeks at a time. brown's comparison to Desmond Howard is good, but one of my boys made a even better comparison.

Reggie Bush = Eric Metcalf. Account for them? Yes. Lose sleep? Nay.

I'm sorry but I'm not buying the Reggie Bush brand. Everytime he makes one great play, everyone wants to hop back on his sack.

Not I said the DMV.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 11, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

+++Stopping Bush Is Mission One++++

Little late for that, doncha think? Oh wait, REGGIE Bush…

where is JM220?

Posted by: the lurker | September 11, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

+++Week 7: Cleveland Browns
This one stumped the schlubs. You guys tell us. We came up with nothing.+++

This may have been already answered. But I suspect their TE still resents the 'skins taking Sean Taylor over him.

Posted by: Corkczar, Crotchety Blog Peep | September 11, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

LaRon didn't go to the "U" hitting skewel. I'm sure CP had a few things to say to him about hittin' someone.

The Reaper used to handle more of the run coverage for us from the Safety, yes?

LaRon probably needs to stick to smackin' recievers, which he does pretty darn good.

hehe.

Posted by: Dik | September 11, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Reggie Bush = Eric Metcalf. Account for them? Yes. Lose sleep? Nay.

Not I said the DMV.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 11, 2008 1:06 PM

I completely agree with that comment. But to call him Desmond Howard.....are you kidding? We of all people should know that he's better than that. Desmond's entire NFL career was one game, it just happened to be the Super Bowl. Bush is much more of a contributor than Desmond ever was to any team. He may not be the bell cow franchise back, but he is a dangerous weapon, and he and shockey are gonna catch most of Brees' passes know that Colston is gone and that means we have that you have to account for him.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 11, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Maybe E. Metcalf with a little more speed. Bush ain't playing against the PAC-10 defense no more. No Fresno State or Stanford to make him look like the second coming of Gale Sayers.

Oh I forgot, they WERE people making this absurd comparison. I think Marshall Faulk had to be my favorite though.

Please.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 11, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Alex -- good call on picking up Pierre. I was hoping he'd be there next week since I (mostly) refuse to play anyone who is playing the Skins or have any other NFC East guys on my team.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 11, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Bush reminds me of a Terry Metcalf type. Evaluating him as a traditional RB doesn't do him justice. Was he worth the high draft status? If they continue to use him in various roles, yes.

Posted by: mark | September 11, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2, but don't you have to account for all 11 guys on the field. You'll have to gameplan harder for others, but everyone has to be accounted for. Given that fact Bush should be nothing more than just that; a guy to account for. Not same damn worldbeater like some are trying to make him out to be, once again.

Just sayin', homie.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | September 11, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking Terry Metcalf and not Eric. Terry was a beast with the Cardinals back in the day.
Another guy is Dave Meggett. He used to kill us for a few years.

Posted by: mark | September 11, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corkczar, Crotchety Blog Peep | September 11, 2008 1:06 PM

Did you need to mention that it was a regular season game?

What's the lat time Cards were in post season? I am sure we never played them in the playoffs either.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 11, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

In my opinion Bush is the most unique offensive player I've seen in my lifetime (I'm pretty young), outside of Michael Vick. The guy lines up anywhere on the field, and he switches it up more often than any back I've seen (including Faulk, Westbrook, whoever). Even if he doesn't touch the ball, he's still a huge impact because the defense HAS to focus on him. He's a major reason Marques Colston dominates the intermediate routes. He's a major reason why Devery Henderson gets singled up to catch 40+ yard bombs. He's the reason Sean Payton looks like such an offensive genius - because he opens up the field for everyone else. He may not have eye-popping, game-breaking plays every game, but he does have a major impact every game.

However, Blache understands this and will shut Bush down this weekend. If they're going to beat us, it's going to be through Patten and Henderson matched up with our corners.

Posted by: psps23 | September 11, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 11, 2008 1:25 PM
+++++++++++
That's not a very pretty picture is it? Could this be the game where 'Stone Finger' Rodgers gets a pick that hits him in the hands? Rodgers gets two picks I say and Redskins dominate in a blowout.

Posted by: splitbill | September 11, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I agree completely.

After 8 years, it is obviously that President Bush's policies - both domestic and international - are driving this country into recession and moral bankruptcy. It's not wonder that his satisfacation rating is at an all time...

Oh wait... REGGIE Bush.
Never mind.

Posted by: Daddy-00 | September 11, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

you don't just have to "account" for Bush. He has dominant speed. If you watch the Bucs replays of some of his plays, there are guys diving for him and hitting each other, like they did for Vick. There are guys who have the angle on him and he still beats them to the corner.
He definitely is not a bell cow workhorse back. Someone who you give it to 25 times behind the o-line. He is a gamebreaker though, and paying special attention to him opens up weaknesses that Shockey, Patten and Henderson may be able to exploit.
Bush is not the biggest threat however, Drew Brees is a top quarterback in the league, and spreads the ball around well to different receivers, this way you can't always double team one guy.
The key to defeating the saints will rely on who is more physical. Who lays the most wood and owns the line of scrimmage.
The saints will get their share of big plays, they always do.
One thing that isn't being talked about is how improved the Saints Defense may be over last year. Other than some shoddy tackling vs Earnest Graham, the D pressured Jeff Garcia, who is a very mobile quarterback. They hit him repeatedly and hurried him and in the end frustrated him into throwing a misguided interception. Jason Campbell is the statute of liberty quarterback type, not very mobile. It will be critical for the offensive line to take control over the saint d-line who are thin at defensive tackle but have two good ends in Will Smith and Charles Grant.
It should be a good game.

Posted by: Joe | September 12, 2008 1:04 AM | Report abuse