Clark and No. 21 at the Super Bowl

Ryan Clark may be playing for the Pittsburgh Steelers, but he tells Mark Maske that he's still wearing Sean Taylor's number, still remembering and thinking about his friend and their time with the Redskins every day.

"It's one of those things you can't believe, especially somebody who I felt was like indestructible," Clark said. "It's a sad, sad thing. . . . If he has 1,000 of his hits on YouTube, I've probably watched 900 of them. I talk about him every day. I think my teammates probably get tired of me talking about him. Anytime we're talking about a football play, I have a story about him."

...

You'll remember from last year that Saturday at the Super Bowl is Hall of Fame day and this year, Russ Grimm's name is up for consideration again. (We'll have a Grimm story up on the site a little later today; it'll be in tomorrow's paper.) Voting is done by pro football writers (The Post opts not to participate) in the morning and the enshrinees are announced at 2:30. We'll have that news here, on the RedskinsInsider twitter feed and, I'll send a mobile alert as well. Of course, Bruce Smith is also up for consideration and seems certain to get in.

By Cindy Boren  |  January 30, 2009; 8:24 AM ET
Categories:  Remembering 21
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn as Most Excellent Commencement Speaker
Next: Less Than X Minutes to XLIII

Comments

F(irst) Bruce Smith.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 30, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Good to know that Clark still remembers his friend.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | January 30, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Steel Curtain...CHECK!

Hogs.......Not one damn check!!!! Unbelievable

Posted by: BurgwithaU | January 30, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

I'm in favor for Clark wearing 21.

For honor
RIP Sean Taylor

Posted by: matthewvickers | January 30, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Every time I see Ryan Clark paying homage to our boy...#21, RiP, I feel like throwing eggs in Snyder / Cerrato's direction.

RiP Sean - everyone knows, including T.O., that the entire league got off easy.

I will say this though...Gibbs / Williams / Cerrato / Snyder...definitely hit the jackpot with Sean and Laron.

What a shame...

Posted by: jmicrodoc | January 30, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Grimm deserves some serious consideration for HOF. Isn't he a member of the 80's all decade team or something like that.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 30, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Ugh. Sean was our Ronnie Lott. Unlimited potential.

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 30, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Ugh. Sean was our Ronnie Lott. Unlimited potential.

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 30, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Devo2 | January 30, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Remember for ever

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I can't even say how much angst i have about 21. I hope those pieces of garbage get raped in prison everyday until they die. Enjoy the next 80 years scumbags!!!!!

Posted by: drewkinnear | January 30, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

here's hoping bruce smith goes in as a redskins

Posted by: gregegeg | January 30, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

here's hoping bruce smith goes in as a redskins

Posted by: gregegeg

LOL!

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

According to Plummer, Shanahan had become “increasingly obsessed” with where the Broncos ranked statistically instead of focusing on winning games.

“It’s hard on a team,” Plummer said. “We were 7-2 at one point my last year and we came out of a meeting with our heads bowed and we were all just sulking around like we had just been berated for not putting up 40 points, for not leading the league in offense, for not creating enough turnovers

This is something that so many of us skins fans need to take to heart...

We had a team that had a 6-2 record,and all we would hear about was how little they scored or,how few sacks and turnovers they had.instead of enjoying the ride and not adding the extra presure of trying to out do the entire league every game our team would win by 2 against a rival and have to answer questions about why they didn't win by more???

Posted by: jumbo5383 | January 30, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

In case you missed it, Eagles assistant Jim Johnson has had a recurrence of cancer:

Posted by: CindyBoren | January 30, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

wha happened to the blog?

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren | January 30, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Prepare for an inappropriate joke about cancer.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I understand that Johnson has Redskin cancer. Caused by 2 beatings by a better looking stylish and saucy team from the south.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Lets see here, Ryan Clark wasn't good enough to play for the skins. Now he's a leader on a defense in the Super Bowl. And the guy we replaced him with (Archuleta) is out of the league.
Karma has truly been kicking the Redskins @ss.

Posted by: Predator48 | January 30, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Pred,

What is worse is we could of had Clark for less then half of what we paid Arch.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 30, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

in my opinion if sean taylor was still alive, theres no doubt he would of been the best safety that ever played the game.

Posted by: bazookajd | January 30, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

What is even worse than that Flounder is Clark would probably have signed a contract for a good 7 years.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

wait TA went to NC State

so nothing good has ever come out of Maryland sports-wise!

ouch!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | January 27, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

hey Truth you donkey, can you say 2002 National Champions? Get a clue, igonramus maximus

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 28, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Don't sweat it, Notorious. RedDMV and myself called him out and gave him a ridiculous blog-beatdown that should remind him of his place in line for a while...

Posted by: p1funk | January 30, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

slow day...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 30, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

So who has plans for this sunday

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

al, I got nothing, and I'm ok with it. Gonna pick up some chicken, shrimp, do some grilling, and watch the game with the wife/kids. You??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 30, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"So who has plans for this sunday"

I'm gonna go down to my local bar, steal all of the toilet paper and then hand out terrible towels outside of the bathroom.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | January 30, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I went and got some expensive beer and will probably go get some kind of AZ or Pitt inspired food to cook.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

alex, what kind of expensive beer?

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | January 30, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

al, for pitt inspired food, I'd wrap some brats in a terrible towel, and throw them on the grill....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 30, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Some fancy Sam Adams Bock

Samuel Adams® partnered Felchlin, a renowned Swiss chocolatier, to develop a unique innovation, Samuel Adams® Chocolate Bock. We started with a complex selection of carefully roasted malts combined with hand-selected Noble hops from Bavaria, the world’s oldest growing area. After using a centuries old brewing process, called Krausening, we slowly aged the beer on a bed of rare dark cocoa nibs from Felchlin®, a renowned Swiss chocolatier. Known for their quality these wild cocoa nibs, harvested from the rainforest of Northern Bolivia, impart complex aromas and flavors of chocolate, honey and vanilla in the beer. The resulting beer, Samuel Adams® Chocolate Bock, has a big, malty character that is combined with the subtle sweetness of chocolate, giving this brew a complex full-body taste with a velvety finish.

Tettnang-Tettnanger and Spalt hops were hand-selected from the world’s oldest growing area and combined with a complex selection of malts including two-row Pale, Munich and Caramel to create a rich and satisfying brew. This dark beer has a big, malty character that is combined with the subtle sweetness of chocolate. Samuel Adams® Chocolate Bock was aged on a bed of cocoa nibs to create its unique layers of flavor. As the beer matured, the fruity, tart, earthy and chocolate aromas were released into the liquid to give the brew a complex, full -bodied taste with a velvety finish. A hint of vanilla was added to meld the symphony of flavors together.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I love Ryan Clark...good player who plays bigger than his body and good for a few funny one liners. A 190-pound safety hitting like that is unreal. I'm glad he'll hoist a Lombardi with the Steelers instead of languishing with this no account Redskins team. Skins loss is RC and Pittsburgh's gain!

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 30, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

well I made a pepperoni roll last time I made Pitt food. Mole last time I made AZ inspired food.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

used to date a woman who worked at the Sam Adams brewery......

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 30, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

By the way that beer costs $20 a bottle

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Beantown, she ever let you break in at night to take a bath in the brew with your friend?

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Ryan Clark was and is truly classy(Unlike Antonio Pierce...). Good luck to Clark, good luck to Grimm. Don't know who I'm rooting for.

Posted by: trolly_time | January 30, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 30, 2009 11:18 AM

That's if you're already drunk...you gotta simulate the Primanti Brothers recipe: fries and cole slaw IN THE SANDWICH! If that ain't the best part of Pittsburgh, I don't know what is...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 30, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Sam Adam's is tasty, but you gotta get some Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat...best beer ever.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | January 30, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

My posse's annuAL sb /regional food party will be featuring full Pimanti Bros sandwhiches with homemade hand cut french fries and make your own taco bar and Mel Sharples/Barry Goldwater chili.

We roll correct

Posted by: chrislarry | January 30, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

al, lol, no, but she got free beer all the time...cases of the stuff....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 30, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

used to date a woman who worked at the Sam Adams brewery......

Posted by: BeantownGreg

Sam Adams is the best beer nobody ever talks about and thank god...

...'cuz it leaves that much more for me.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 30, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

POLL

Best seasonal Sam Adams?

My vote goes to Summer Ale

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | January 30, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Now THAT'S the stuff, CL. I gotta party with you if you've got The Primantis in full effect...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 30, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I'm taking the Greg approach, getting a bunch of different appetizer type foods and watching the game with the Wife and Kids, 4:30AM comes preety quick.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 30, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I am not a big Ale man. I have a rule about beer, the less light I can see through it the more I want to drink it. Malt rulz.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

F the beer SoCo and Coke baby.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 30, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

F the beer SoCo and Coke baby.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 30, 2009 11:36 AM

You've got the right spirit (pun intended), Flounder. I'm a rum and Coke guy myself...I don't know about you, but I take my orders from Captain Morgan!

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 30, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

F SoCo and coke, Keystone Ice baby

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | January 30, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

zima........KIDDING!!

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 30, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Any picks for the game? I've got the Steelers, 20-10. Big Ben is MVP and our old friend Ryan Clark gives Boldin a flashback to his egg-scrambling against the Jets. Mike Tomlin will then officially be named the coolest coach in NFL history.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 30, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

My guess is that the game is a 21-17 cards win. going for the upset.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

brown, I'm not certain about this game. If AZ can keep KWarn upright, and the pitt blitz can't get to him in the first quarter, then I think AZ has a chance. Warner is just really good against the blitz.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 30, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

24-17 Cards. Arizona's defense steals the show, stuffing the run and forcing Big Ben to try and win the game. Anytime Ben attempts more than 25 passes in a game it doesn't bode well for the Steelers.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | January 30, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

CL I have to say you always know how to do these things right. Great range of food and fun.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

POLL

Best seasonal Sam Adams?

My vote goes to Summer Ale

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | January 30, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I second that.

Posted by: Devo2 | January 30, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Brown,

Not a fan of the Capt. (Although they have great commercials). I like Southern Comfort because it has a sweet taste, and when you mix it with Coke it's got an even sweeter taste.

I was at a bar once with a friend and we got are drinks mixed up, I took a swig of his Jack and Coke and thought I was going to puke.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 30, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I don't know guys, it seems to me that the cool thing to do is to pick AZ...therefore killing their whole "we're the underdog, let's shock the world" theme. Plus, AZ won't be able to run AT ALL and when you make a team that one dimensional, that usually plays into your hands. I just think it's going to be too much Steeler D, too many AZ turnovers, and Big Ben atoning for the crap sandwich he left on the field in Super Bowl XL.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 30, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm with Alex. Cards win. I see them jumping out to an early lead like they did against Philly. With Ben and Ward ailing, I don't think Stillers have enough O to come back or to overcome the Cards' D.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 30, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I go with Saranac, good wide range of beers everything from the lightest IPA to the darkest Black Forest.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

If you ask Sam, which seasonal Sam Adams tastes best, he'll say Beau Breedlove.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | January 30, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Brown,

Counterpoint if I may.

AZ has been one dimensional all season. Warner as much as I hate the guy has a lot of experience playing in a pass only league.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Flounder,

I'm with you on the Jack and Coke, I have a buddy who drinks that and having had one sip I was officially drunk. I'm pretty sure that stuff is like 80% alcohol by volume...

I'll have to try the SoCo thing, I've been ridiculed for years for drinking Malibu and Coke...it seems that SoCo has less of a "girlie-drink" stigma to it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 30, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

"I got a beer poll for yall if you were restricted to one brewery/brand for the rest of existence what do you take?"

Schlitz - $5.56 for a 12 pack, and it tastes delicious

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | January 30, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 30, 2009 11:55 AM |

The only people that give me sh!t for drinking it, are my friends who drink Jack or Wild Turkey they say it's a p***y drink.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 30, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I hear you Alex, but I'm not so sure that the #1 pass defense can't handle the AZ passing attack. If it was THAT good, they wouldn't won more than 9 games in the regular season. They're playing lights out ball right now, but that's because their D is racking up TOs and Fitz is playing like he made the same deal with the devil that Warner did. I don't think their offense will be able to score at will against this Steeler D and I doubt Pittsburgh turns it over like the Panthers or Falcons did. The Steeler ground game hasn't been at its best this year and doesn't necessarily have to be for them to win. I think it's a good matchup and will be a close game, but the Steelers intangibles give them the edge in my book.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 30, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Both brand sell excellent brews is a wide variety of flavors.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | January 30, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

POLL

Best seasonal Sam Adams? My vote goes to Summer Ale

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who

That's my vote.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 30, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Then you've made a believer out of me, Flounder. It's good to know I'm not the only one who prefers liquor over beer.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 30, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

"As for drinks - check out Firefly or Sweet Carolina. They are vodkas infused with sweet tea. Mix 'em with lemonade. An Arnold Palmer never tasted better."

I love arnold palmers, that sounds good....gotta try....

For football"

If watching in comfort of home my beer of choice is Budweiser in a king can...very cold.

If at sports bar (which is the norm for Skins) it is guiness in a pint glass.

The classics baby!

Posted by: chrislarry | January 30, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

crackin' up at some of these choices of drinks...

whatever gets you right, i guess.

vodka and guinness. vodka you can mix with anything, and a guiness or yuengling go down very smooth.

i know it isn't but, am i the only one who thinks that thinks beer is just beer, and only liquor is considered alcohol?

Posted by: RedDMV | January 30, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

"I'll take a coupla' 12 packs of Boston Lager, pork sizzlin' in the grill, sum tater salad chillin' in the box, and a hard hittin, low scorin', defensive slugfest on the flatscreen.

That's my vote"

Sorry I should have been more specific, Boston Lager is one of my go-to beers as well. But this poll is limited to the 4 main seasonal beers:

Spring - White Ale
Summer - Summer Ale
Fall - Octoberfest
Winter - Winter Lager

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | January 30, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

vodka and limeade...

Posted by: RedDMV | January 30, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Flounder, sorry my man but SoCo is a total chick drink.

Irish whiskey on rocks with Is my staple. Sometimes along side a beer: Jamisons, Powers, Makers, Johnny Walker being the norm-but will sample others.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 30, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Pabst Blue Ribbon....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 30, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm a fan of SoCo -- direct shots though, no mixers. Not really sure if any 80 proof liquor can be considered a "chick" drink.

As far as beers, Newcastle and Blue Moon are the go-to's. Unless I'm really trying to get dirty, then I introduce Natty Light...

Posted by: psps23 | January 30, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

"Pabst Blue Ribbon...."

Back in the day Schlitz and PBR were like the Cowboys and Redskins. Fierce rivals with the same mediocre taste.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | January 30, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

sorry brown and flound, jack is where its at

We will be doing apps of dips, chips, crackers, cheese, bean dip, queso con carne and meatballs.

for dinner its Enchiladas, Chili and taco salad...

damn skippy! watch out toilet monday!

Posted by: Zeebs | January 30, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Chicks can hold their liquor, I know plenty of competent drunks who are chicks, so proof dont mean squat. Its the flavoring/sweetness that makes it a chick drink.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 30, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

+++Grimm deserves some serious consideration for HOF.

Posted by: BeantownGreg |

Let me take this rare opportunity to agree with you 100%. When you're right, you're right.

Posted by: TheCork | January 30, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Flounder, sorry my man but SoCo is a total chick drink.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 30, 2009 12:12 PM |

CL,

Cut me some slack, I can not drink anything that has a nasty after taste.

I've also been known to suck down some Vodka Redbull or vodka Cranberry.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 30, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Jack & Coke, Beam and Coke, Turkey and Coke...
Whiskey and Coke = black tooth grin.

Miller Lite is the best light american beer.
Corona is golden on Sundays.

Posted by: matthewvickers | January 30, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

exactly cL,

when i first started college we did St Ides because it wasnt beer and it was sweet... you see where i ended up!!

I like Molson Ice as my get drunk on beer quick and Miller Lite for my beer pong/ drinking games...

Posted by: Zeebs | January 30, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

+++Not to mention we used two picks on safties last year. Imagine the possibilities of having used those picks on Linemen.

Posted by: Devo2 +++

If there's ONE position the Redskins can pick--and sadly, that may be the case--it's Safety.

Taylor, Landry, Horton, Doughty and Moore.

Posted by: TheCork | January 30, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

best beer hands down is anchor steam ale based outta san fran. a bit pricey, but worth it. or try starr hill out of charlottesville, a little easier to get your hands on. god, i love craft brews

Posted by: braker19cleartheline | January 30, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I be drinking me some ripple on sunday.

Posted by: richard_cranium | January 30, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

500 Bonus points for the first one that can guess what movie this comes from.

Who's the baddest Mo Fo in Harlem?

Sho'Nuff

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 30, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

matt, corona on the beach with a cig, nothing better.

vodka and cran got me in some serious trouble of the stomach lining kind floud, so i had to move up to jack... i take one sip of vodka now and i am half wasted.

Oh, and Tequila was the frist liq i ever drank and a Senior in HS, Rugby team from Salisbury came up for a party at my BF's house and I took opn some dude, tequila and cokes... cant even smell the stuff now

Posted by: Zeebs | January 30, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

here's hoping bruce smith goes in as a redskins

Posted by: gregegeg

LOL!

Posted by: alex35332 |

If he does, when his name is called, he'll approach the podium wide right and end up too far behind it to have an impact.

Posted by: TheCork | January 30, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Miller Lite = chilled urine

If I'm playing beer pong, better yet beer ball, or just drinking for a long period of time...I'm tappin the Rockies, Coors is the best light American beer by far.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | January 30, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

CL,

If you think SoCo and Coke is a chick drink, I'm scared to tell you what kind of beer I drink. Put it this way my Wife even says it's a chick beer.

I'll give you a hint it's made in Golden Colorado, the light version.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 30, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

My guess is that those competent drunk chicks don't limit themselves to soco or other sweet drinks, but also foray out into the rest of the vodka/rum/tequila/whiskey world. IMO, they are the exceptions, not the rule.

When I think chick drinks, I think Mike's Hard Lemondae, or Smirnoff Ice, or screwdrivers, etc. Obviously SoCo isn't going to put as much hair on your chest as a strong cognac, but I wouldn't consider it a chick drink.

What about liquers, like Gran Marinier? Would you consider that a chick drink?

Posted by: psps23 | January 30, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

+++Miller Lite is the best light american beer.

Posted by: matthewvickers +++

Yes, and Lake Huron is the tastiest Lake Water. Honest to God, people, grow up and drink some real beer, not that swill Miller, Bud, and Coors sells.

Oh wait, maybe I'm ignoring the Good Book:

"When I was a child, I drank as a child..."

Posted by: TheCork | January 30, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Zeebs,

I did about 15 Tequila shots one night, and I can't smell the stough without getting sick.

This Tequila was so cheap it came in a plastic bottle.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 30, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

The Last Dragon.
Coors is a really good choice, too.
Zeebs - Tequila is fearless.
I used to down Jager like it was candy but now I can not come close to it without dry-heaving. Blah disgusting.

Captain Morgan has a dark rum called, Tattoo, and mixed with coke tastes amazing.

Posted by: matthewvickers | January 30, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Anyone ever tried Utopia by Sam Adams? I've been really interested in trying it, but it's expensive as hell (like couple hundred $'s expensive).

Posted by: psps23 | January 30, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Best Drink ever, you take a sifter glass or paper cup depending on your location and mix Remy martin with Grand Marnier. mix them both equally

you will never go back to another drink, at the bar they call it a French Connection

Posted by: GreatOne1 | January 30, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

"I'm sorry, I'm being peachy. But if you're gonna drink that crap, for God sakes don't brag about it."

Light beers are all crappy, but they do serve a purpose. You can drink all day outside and not want to do die the next morning.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | January 30, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

al, lol, no, but she got free beer all the time...cases of the stuff....

Posted by: BeantownGreg

Excuse me? You USED to date a woman who got free Sam Adams beer?

Please tell us she broke up with YOU.

Posted by: TheCork | January 30, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Put it this way my Wife even says it's a chick beer.

I'll give you a hint it's made in Golden Colorado, the light version.

Posted by: Flounder21

LMAO!! I like Poland Spring water straight up. Does that count? lol

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | January 30, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Thank you yoder... i can drink 12 before I feel buzzed... some might call that a prob... i plan on drinking 1.5 L's of Jack on Sunday

Posted by: Zeebs | January 30, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

If I had to buy beer at a local gas station my choices would few and far between the craft beers. Of course, in the south Bud and Bud Light reign supreme. I taking Miller Lite or Coors off of the shelf.

Posted by: matthewvickers | January 30, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

F the beer SoCo and Coke baby.

Posted by: Flounder21 |

I got three words in response:

Adult Onset Diabetes.

Posted by: TheCork | January 30, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

yeah flound, needless to say i lost that drinkoff... went home and threw up in my bathroom for 4 hours... Dad came in to ask me what was wrong, i said fight with my GF, he believed me!!! or at least he never called me out on it.

Posted by: Zeebs | January 30, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

What about liquers, like Gran Marinier? Would you consider that a chick drink?

Posted by: psps23 | January 30, 2009 12:31 PM |

psp,

That sh!t is nasty, and it will put you on your a$$.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 30, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

drink that and thank me later.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | January 30, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

++I be drinking me some ripple on sunday.

Posted by: richard_cranium+++

I love their slogan:

"Ripple: The Wine That's Never Seen a Grape."

Posted by: TheCork | January 30, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

matthew,

Your points are in the mail.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 30, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

"... went home and threw up in my bathroom for 4 hours... Dad came in to ask me what was wrong, i said fight with my GF, he believed me!!!"

Does fighting with you GF normally cause you to throw up?? Pretty interesting excuse.

Whenever I get caught by someone on the bad end of a binge, I just tell them ate at IHOP that night.

Posted by: psps23 | January 30, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

psp,

That sh!t is nasty, and it will put you on your a$$.

Posted by: Flounder21

Yea, you can't really drink more than one glass, and you have to do it verrry slowly. I do enjoy it every once in a while as a dessert drink.

Posted by: psps23 | January 30, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

no psps, which makes me think in hindsight that he realized my punishment was enough... and my peeps are religious but they have been know to take a cup of their white zin in the car with them to a function...

Posted by: Zeebs | January 30, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

zeebs,

Talk about Dads, I was out on a school night doing Flaming Doctor Peppers, I got so wasted that I did'nt even make it all the way through my front door before I passed out.

My Dad was leaving for work around 5:00 and found me laying in the doorway, he made me get up and go to school that was a very tough day.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 30, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

++++http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/710/29015

drink that and thank me later.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who +++

Also, the user rating is "B-"

Posted by: TheCork | January 30, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

From PFT,

FRANCHISE AND TRANSITION TAG NUMBERS ARE OUT
Posted by Aaron Wilson on January 30, 2009, 11:46 a.m. EST
NFL franchises have an upcoming window to either use the franchise tag or the transition tag to lock up their unrestricted free agents, beginning Feb. 5 with a Feb. 19 deadline.

Keep in mind when a team uses the franchise tag or transition tag, it’s a one-year tender offer of a high base salary paid during the season and includes no signing bonus. So, every dollar counts against that year’s cap.

According to a National Football Post article and Scout.com, which published the numbers first, here are the respective franchise and transition numbers for each position as the free agent signing period approaches on Feb. 27:

The quarterback franchise number is $14.65 million and the transition figure is $12.44 million.

The wide receiver franchise number is $9.88 million and the transition figure is $8.39 million.

The offensive line franchise number is $8.45 million and the transition figure is $7.74 million.

The running back franchise number is $6.62 million and the transition figure is $5.92 million.

The tight end franchise number is $4.46 million and the transition figure is $4.07 million.

The defensive end franchise number is $8.99 million and the transition figure is $7.78 million.

The defensive tackle franchise number is $6.06 million and the transition figure is $5.45 million.

The linebacker franchise number is $8.3 million and the transition figure is $7.48 million.

The safety franchise number is $6.34 million and the transition figure is $5.13 million.

The cornerback franchise number is $9.96 million and the transition figure is $8.37 million.

And the franchise number for a punter/kicker is $2.48 million and $2.26 million for a transition figure.

Hey, I’d gladly settle for that special-teams money. Is it too late for me to learn how to kick?

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 30, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

"Dude they say the beer tastes like blueberries. That's fine if you're pouring it over your cereal, but as a drink?

Also, the user rating is "B-""

That's a good rating for that site, only beers to get A's on there are beers I've never seen or heard about. And the dbag who said it tastes like blueberries is a frickin' idiot. It has a hint a lemon, like most wheat beers or hefeweizen. It's basically a better Blue Moon.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | January 30, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Flounder,
Awesome. How about this line: "These go to 11. You see - one louder."

New Years was alcoholically challenging for me. I started with Miller and then drank some SoCo followed by shots of moon shine and then Champagne to top off the new year. I ended up laying on the grass, starring at the stars wondering, how did this happen again? and who brought SoCo?

Posted by: matthewvickers | January 30, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Not sure what you think of Wes Bunting and his football analysis, but he's listed position ranking for the '09 draft. I know about rankings and how meaningless they may be, but here anyaway:

Quarterbacks

1. Mark Sanchez, USC (6-3, 225)
2. Matthew Stafford, Georgia (6-3, 236)
3. Josh Freeman, Kansas State (6-6, 248)
4. Pat White, West Virginia (6-0, 192)
5. Nate Davis, Ball State (6-2, 218)
6. Graham Harrell, Texas Tech (6-2, 205)
7. Rhett Bomar, Sam Houston State (6-2, 216)
8. Nathan Brown, Central Arkansas (6-1, 214)
9. Stephen McGee, Texas A&M (6-3, 216)
10. Cullen Harper, Clemson (6-3, 220)

Running Backs

1. Knowshon Moreno, Georgia (5-11, 208)
2. Chris Wells, Ohio State (6-1, 237)
3. LeSean McCoy, Pittsburgh (5-11, 210)
4. Shonn Greene, Iowa (5-11, 235)
5. Donald Brown, Connecticut (5-10, 210)
6. Javon Ringer, Michigan State (5-9, 205)
7. Jeremiah Johnson, Oregon (5-9, 208)
8. Andre Brown, N.C. State (6-0 224)
9. Rashad Jennings, Liberty (6-1, 232)
10. Cedric Peerman, Virginia (5-10, 210)

Fullbacks

1. Quinn Johnson, LSU (6-1, 260)
2. Brannan Southerland, Georgia (6-0, 245)
3. Tony Fiammetta, Syracuse (6-0, 238)
4. Mark Hafner, Houston (6-2, 235)
5. Travis McCall, Alabama (6-2, 276)
6. Conredge Collins, Pittsburgh (5-11, 232)
7. Eric Kettani, Navy (6-0, 242)
8. Marquez Branson, Central Arkansas (6-2, 248)
9. David Johnson, Arkansas State (6-2, 250)
10. Jorvorskie Lane, Texas A&M (6-0, 278)

Wide Receivers

1. Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech (6-3. 214)
2. Jeremy Maclin, Missouri (6-1, 200)
3. Hakeem Nicks, North Carolina (6-1, 210)
4. Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland (6-2, 206)
5. Juaquin Iglesias, Oklahoma (6-0 204)
6. Derrick Williams, Penn State (6-0, 200)
7. Kenny Britt, Rutgers (6-4, 215)
8. Brian Robiskie, Ohio State (6-2, 200)
9. Mike Thomas, Arizona (5-8 187)
10. Kenny McKinley, South Carolina (6-0, 182)

Tight Ends

1. Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma State (6-6, 260)
2. Shawn Nelson, Southern Mississippi (6-5, 242)
3. Chase Coffman, Missouri (6-6, 252)
4. Connor Barwin, Cincinnati (6-4, 253)
5. James Casey, Rice (6-4, 235)
6. Jared Cook, South Carolina (6-5, 242)
7. Travis Beckum, Wisconsin (6-3, 237)
8. Cornelius Ingram, Florida (6-4, 245)
9. Brian Mandeville, Northeastern (6-6, 255)
10. Davon Drew, East Carolina (6-4, 258)

Posted by: RedDMV | January 30, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

cont'd

Offensive Tackles

1. Eugene Monroe, Virginia (6-5, 315)
2. Andre Smith, Alabama (6-4, 340)
3. Michael Oher, Mississippi (6-5, 320)
4. Jason Smith, Baylor (6-5, 300)
5. William Beatty, Connecticut (6-6, 310)
6. Eben Britton, Arizona (6-6, 310)
7. Jamon Meredith, South Carolina (6-5, 289)
8. Fenuki Tupou, Oregon (6-5, 332)
9. Jason Watkins, Florida (6-6, 317)
10. Augustus Parrish, Kent State (6-4, 297)

Offensive Guards

1. Duke Robinson, Oklahoma (6-5, 335)
2. Herman Johnson, LSU (6-7, 335)
3. Tyronne Green, Auburn (6-2, 309)
4. Andy Levitre, Oregon State (6-2, 318)
5. Trevor Canfield, Cincinnati (6-5, 305)
6. Jamie Thomas, Maryland (6-4, 331)
7. Maurice Miller, Ole Miss (6-3, 243)
8. Seth Olsen, Iowa (6-5, 304)
9. Kraig Urbik, Wisconsin (6-6, 323)
10. Anthony Parker, Tennessee (6-2, 305)

Centers

1. Alex Mack, California (6-4, 314)
2. Max Unger, Oregon (6-5, 305)
3. Eric Wood, Louisville (6-5, 308)
4. Antoine Caldwell, Alabama (6-5, 305)
5. Jonathan Luigs, Arkansas (6-5, 314)
6. A.Q. Shipley, Penn State (6-1, 297)
7. Cecil Newton, Tennessee State (6-2, 295)
8. Alex Fletcher, Stanford (6-3, 302)
9. Jon Cooper, Oklahoma (6-2, 292)
10. Ryan McDonald, Illinois (6-4, 298)

Posted by: RedDMV | January 30, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Defense:

Defensive Ends

1. Brian Orakpo, Texas (6-4, 260)
2. Everette Brown, Florida State (6-4, 252)
3. Aaron Maybin, Penn State (6-4, 242)
4. Robert Ayers, Tennessee (6-3, 273)
5. Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech (6-7, 260)
6. Tyson Jackson, LSU (6-4, 295)
7. Paul Kruger, Utah (6-5, 265)
8. Larry English, Northern Illinois (6-2, 254)
9. Connor Barwin, Cincinnati (6-4, 255)
10. David Veikune, Hawaii (6-2, 255)

Defensive Tackles

1. B.J. Raji, Boston College (6-1, 325)
2. Peria Jerry, Mississippi (6-3, 295)
3. Sen’Derrick Marks, Auburn (6-1, 295)
4. Jarron Gilbert, San Jose State (6-5, 287)
5. Fili Moala, Southern Cal (6-5, 298)
6. Evander Hood, Missouri (6-3, 295)
7. Mitch King, Iowa (6-2, 275)
8. Corvey Irvin, Georgia (6-3, 289)
9. Ron Brace, Boston College (6-3, 326)
10. Alex Magee, Purdue (6-3, 295)

Outside Linebackers

1. Aaron Curry, Wake Forest (6-2, 246)
2. Brian Cushing, Southern California (6-4, 243)
3. Clay Matthews, Southern California (6-4, 246)
4. Clint Sintim, Virginia (6-3, 254)
5. Tyrone McKenzie, South Florida (6-2, 235)
6. Zack Follett, California (6-2, 238)
7. Marcus Freeman, Ohio State (6-1, 238)
8. Cody Brown, Connecticut (6-2, 248)
9. Mortty Ivy, West Virginia (6-1, 236)
10. Nic Harris, Oklahoma (6-3, 233)

Inside Linebackers

1. Rey Maualuga, Southern California (6-2, 260)
2. James Laurinaitis, Ohio State (6-2, 240)
3. Darry Beckwith, LSU (6-1, 235)
4. Scott McKillop, Pittsburgh (6-1, 240)
5. Gerald McRath, Southern Miss (6-3, 220)
6. Jason Phillips, TCU (6-1, 235)
7. Worrell Williams, Cailfornia (6-0, 250)
8. Dannell Ellerbe, Georgia (6-1, 236)
9. Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina (6-2, 265)
10. Joseph Frantz, Florida Atlantic (6-2, 235)

Posted by: RedDMV | January 30, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"These go to 11. You see - one louder."

Is this from Spinal Tap

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 30, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

cont'd...

Cornerbacks

1. Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State (6-0, 200)
2. D.J. Moore, Vanderbilt (5-10, 184)
3. Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest (5-9. 190)
4. Coye Francies, San Jose State (6-0 179)
5. Vontae Davis, Illinois (6-0, 205)
6. Sean Smith, Utah (6-3, 215)
7. Darius Butler, Connecticut (5-11, 187)
8. Mike Mickens, Cincinnati: (5-11, 176)
9. Asher Allen, Georgia (5-10, 198)
10. Victor Harris, Virginia Tech (5-11, 195)

Free Safeties

1. Louis Delmas, Western Michigan (6-0, 196)
2. Derek Pegues, Mississippi State (5-10, 195)
3. William Moore, Missouri (6-1, 226)
4. Rashad Johnson, Alabama (6-0, 190)
5. Sherrod Martin, Troy ( 6-1, 193)
6. Brandon Underwood, Cincinnati (6-1, 192)
7. David Bruton, Notre Dame (6-2, 210)
8. Troy Nolan, Arizona State (6-1, 207)
9. Darcel McBath, Texas Tech (6-1, 198)
10. Curtis Taylor, LSU (6-2, 208)

Strong Safeties

1. Patrick Chung, Oregon (5-11, 210)
2. Chip Vaughn, Wake Forest (6-2, 214)
3. Kevin Ellison, Southern California (6-1, 228)
4. Emanuel Cook, South Carolina (5-10, 205)
5. Michael Hamlin, Clemson (6-3, 206)
6. Stephen Hodge, TCU (6-0 214)
7. Trimane Goddard, North Carolina (5-11, 195)
8. Courtney Greene, Rutgers: (6-1, 211)
9. Otis Wiley, Michigan State (6-2, 210)
10. Jamarca Sanford, Mississippi (5-10, 200)

Specialists

1. Louie Sakoda, Utah (5-9, 171), kicker/punter
2. Graham Gano, Florida State (6-1, 192), kicker/punter
3. Thomas Morstead, Southern Methodist (6-4, 228), punter
4. Kevin Huber, Cincinnati (6-1, 224), punter
5. Jake Ingram, Hawaii (6-3 235), long snapper
6. Jose Martinez, UTEP (5-9, 200), kicker
7. Pat McAfee, West Virginia (6-0 228), kicker
8. Mark Estermyer, Pittsburgh (6-1, 247), long snapper
9. Ryan Succop, South Carolina (6-2, 224), kicker
10. Sam Swank, Wake Forest (6-0 202), kicker

Per Wes Bunting at The National Football Post.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 30, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Steelers 25-12. Steelers 'd' is on another level

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 30, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Our second drummer died - he choked on vomit. No one really knows whose vomit it was -- it's not like they can finger print vomit.

This is Spinal Tap. Yes, Flounder.

Posted by: matthewvickers | January 30, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Would anyone like to venture a guess on The Truth's favorite drink?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | January 30, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Best white beer. All the others are pretending.

Oh, and good job Cork on the call out. If you're going to drink that swill, keep it a dirty secret.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | January 30, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

zce;

whew, and i thought my 2/5 cards/steel number in the block pool was a dead one!

Posted by: Zeebs | January 30, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Jason:
Please help me with my feeble mind, help me remember why The Post does not participate in HOF voting. I have followed the pro game for nearly six decades and every year get angrier at the voting process. For example, Joe Jaccoby, the old Redskin of the pancake block fame, should have been in years ago. Jerry Kramer, who can or could write better than the voters, should have been inducted decades ago.

Posted by: royhobbs56 | January 30, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

yes that is from spinal tap.

BTW, tequila = Satan's semen. not only can I not smell it without gagging, i can barely type it. Badger Ale, Guinness Draught, Glenlivet or Irish malt (Bushmills nice), sherry, nice merlot or pinot grigio. it's all good, quantity = quality, that's what i say...

PS Up the Cards!! (as in Forza Cards, not F the Cards...)

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | January 30, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: braker19cleartheline | January 30, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Ahh Anchor Steam, another quality brew!

Posted by: Devo2 | January 30, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Would anyone like to venture a guess on The Truth's favorite drink?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | January 30, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Peach Schnapps?

Posted by: TDawg1 | January 30, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

he cant drink yet

Posted by: Zeebs | January 30, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

+++Miller Lite is the best light american beer.

Posted by: matthewvickers +++

Oh wait, maybe I'm ignoring the Good Book:

"When I was a child, I drank as a child..."

Posted by: TheCork | January 30, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

On a hot summer day or even if you're in the mood for a light beverage try mixing Bub or Miller light with Spicy Hot V8.

Great refreshing beer and helps with the hangover.

Posted by: Devo2 | January 30, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Is there anyway that we can trade for Ryan Clark? We need him back here.

Posted by: charley42 | January 30, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Richard Seymour's wife looks like she can play the opposite of him at DE.

Maybe it's just the picture, but she looks tough. Damn tough.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 30, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

We can trade for Ryan Clark, a 2nd + 6th would get it done.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 30, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Would anyone like to venture a guess on The Truth's favorite drink?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | January 30, 2009 1:19 PM

apple juice, or juicy juice.

he's only 12.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 30, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

April is too far away.
The best beer drinking song:

Posted by: matthewvickers | January 30, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

zce;

whew, and i thought my 2/5 cards/steel number in the block pool was a dead one!

Posted by: Zeebs

with the Steelers, its all over the place. I mean, they won a game by scoring 11

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 30, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

We can trade for Ryan Clark, a 2nd + 6th would get it done.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 30, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Did we receive a compensatory pick when the Steelers signed him? And if so, who was our pick?

Posted by: Devo2 | January 30, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

6 173 Reed Doughty DB Northern Colorado
6 196 Kedric Golston DT Georgia
7 230 Kili Lefotu G Arizona
7 250 Kevin Simon LB Tennessee

Maybe this year? we lost him after 05?

Posted by: Zeebs | January 30, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I love beer as much as the next guy, my no 1 is a micro from Nodding Head Brewery in Philly their Grog is awesome.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Would anyone like to venture a guess on The Truth's favorite drink?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | January 30, 2009 1:19 PM

Appletini

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Stop letting our players go.

Ryan Clark
Antonio Pierce
Dockery

Stop stop stop it....imagine these players on our team now.

Think about it.

Don't trade Clinton or coley....

They will just go to another team and do good or better and we'll just see them in the super bowl and we'll look like dummies again.

Just stop

Posted by: 1skinfan | January 30, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Do players like Frost and Torrence help us in regards to comp picks?

Posted by: matthewvickers | January 30, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

No, because they were cut... thet award teams who dont pay a FA to stay when they get more money elsewhere... trys to stop steinbrenner type shopping

Posted by: Zeebs | January 30, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

red, thanks for posting that list for the draft. I can't imagine Herman Johnson being the 2nd overall rated Guard after his showing at the Senior Bowl. He looked like a heavy legged waist bender, in the words of Mike Mayock.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 30, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Make that 'tries to compensate for other teams who buy players away'

Posted by: Zeebs | January 30, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

"Stop letting our players go."

Even if we sign Hall, fans will regret letting C. Rogers go. He is getting better and better every year.

Posted by: charley42 | January 30, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I am going to throw another twist of the cruel fate of ST. If we had kept Clark, we would of had a competent safety for support? Would Taylor had gotten hurt? Even if he had, having a close friend like Clark would he had even gone to Florida?

Posted by: oldtimer4 | January 30, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

or if you believe in fate, and who isnt a LOST junkie, it was destiny.

Either way, sad to say, it happened/

Posted by: Zeebs | January 30, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Russ Grimm should have been the hired as the head coach of the Redskins. Granted, I like Zorn, but Grimm is a Redskins, an offensive innovator, and he does not take crap from anyone. Man it is frustrating being a Redskins fan and watching this Super Bowl.

Posted by: RedskinAddict | January 30, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

"Man it is frustrating being a Redskins fan and watching this Super Bowl."

That's why we've been talking about alcohol.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | January 30, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Grimm should be both Redskins HC and going into the HoF.

No other way to cut that pie.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 30, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Grimm is one of the few guys I would dump zorn for in a heartbeat.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Grimm is one of the few guys I would dump zorn for in a heartbeat.

Posted by: alex35332

Hopefully after next year that will happen. I see Zorn doing same dumb sht again next year.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | January 30, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Good luck to Russ Grimm on the HOF bid. Long overdue.

But what about Chris Hanburger?
9x Pro Bowl selection (1966-69, 1972-76)
4x Associated Press First-team All-Pro selection (1969, 1972, 1973, 1975)
1972 NFC Defensive Player of the Year

Hanburger can't even make it into the room.

No question about the anti-Skins bias. Monk, a slam dunk, took forever to get in. No Hogs. No Hanburger. Jacoby never makes it into the final group. Gary Clark never makes it into the final 25 despite numbers that are almost the same as Irvin.

Just too much evidence there.

Good luck Russ. You deserve it.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 30, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage

Zorn was hired as the OC first, don't know why Grimm or another worthy candidate wasn't named HC. If you look back at every head coach hiring in the history of the NFL I would bet that this is the only time an organization hired a staff first, and then promoted within the staff to name a HC. It's completely backwards. Not saying we should fire Zorn though.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | January 30, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Grimm wasn't even interviewed, if I'm not mistaken. I have a feeling there's a little dissension between him and Snyder/Cerrato. Especially given they explored every option from Pete Carrol to Jim Zorn.

Posted by: psps23 | January 30, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

psps ... I think you are onto something. I don't think Danny wants a coach who would win a PR contest with him.

When Danny hired Gibbs, Danny hired a guy he couldn't fire. And a guy that didn't need to kiss his backside. But its Joe 3 Lombardi's Gibbs, so you have to do that.

No doubt Grimm would have been a hugely popular choice. Look back and its pretty clear. There really hasn't been one coach, other than Gibbs, who was popular with Skins fans before getting the job.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 30, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | January 30, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

The Raiders are doing the exact same thing this year. Goes to show the level of competance this Organization has. If the Raiders are doing things the same way as you are, then somethings gotta change.

ESPN made a reference the other day as to idiocy of the way the Skins and Raiders picked thier coaches.

Posted by: Devo2 | January 30, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Danny wants a coach who would win a PR contest with him.

Don't know if I agree with that statement since on one really like Dan.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | January 30, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

"There really hasn't been one coach, other than Gibbs, who was popular with Skins fans before getting the job."

I think it has more to do with any good coach, who knows how to build a winning team, wants absolutely nothing to do with Snyder or Cerrato because they know they're incompetent and would meddle.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | January 30, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Devo2

Haha, wow is that depressing. Did Oakland hire a coordinator that wasn't already on the team though? It just proves a point, Snyder is just a far-less decomposed version of Al Davis. No deserving head coach candidate in their right mind would want to work for those 2. Zorn and Cable basically got their jobs by default.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | January 30, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | January 30, 2009 3:02 PM

BWA HA HA HA HA !!!

You forgot that the Cowpukes already did it with Phillips!

Posted by: charley42 | January 30, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

"BWA HA HA HA HA !!!

You forgot that the Cowpukes already did it with Phillips!"

The Cowboys hired Phillips to be their DC and then couldn't find a deserving coach that would take the HC job, so they promoted him? Either way, the results speak to the idiotic practice of hiring a staff before a head coach.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | January 30, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

with phillips most the assistance were from the last administration. With us we replaced the top 3 in a weird order.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

He is also a graduate of the 'Dana Stubblefield touch the QB after he is down in hopes of getting a half sack school of pass rushing'.

Literally depressed about the Redskins right now.

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | January 30, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

AMTTS

Drink something.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm drunk from reading

Posted by: matthewvickers | January 30, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

What's so depressing? We haven't lost a game all year!

Posted by: charley42 | January 30, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

What's so depressing? We haven't lost a game all year!

Posted by: charley42 | January 30, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Sadly enough, I'm secretly fantasizing about the 2010 offseason.

Posted by: Devo2 | January 30, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

The Truth is definitely down with apple juice and orange juice.

The Truth thanks all his fans for discussing him while he's gone.

Losers.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | January 30, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

New question:

Assuming we have the number one pick overall in the 2010 draft--not that far off considering we're bringing back one of, if not, the worst olines in the league--who would be your pick.

I'm saying Colt McCoy

He can pass, run, and he looks like he has all the tangibles a winning QB needs. You know; confidence, control, a command presence.

Posted by: Devo2 | January 30, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Someone who should be on the teams radar if a trade back happens:

Trevor Canfield/OG/Cincinnati: The Bearcat All American dominated opponents each and every day. He's strong like a bull and as mean as they come. Canfield went up against the best defensive linemen offered by the Senior Bowl this year and held his own. He is now positioned to be one of the top three guards selected, somewhere in the middle of round two.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 30, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I'll tell ya', that JLC looks like a young Roger Ebert!

Posted by: noseman4681 | January 30, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

You are getting way way way way too ahead of yourself Devo.

What if we have a bad season but JC finishes with 3,700 yards and 30 TD's?

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I'll tell ya', that JLC looks like a young Roger Ebert!

Posted by: noseman4681 | January 30, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

HaHa. Holy Cow! It's so true. I hope he sees that resemblance everytime he looks in the mirror.

Posted by: Devo2 | January 30, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

The Truth thanks all his fans for discussing him while he's gone.

Losers.

Posted by: TheTruth11

Even TheTruth knows that fans of TheTruth are losers

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 30, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

What if we have a bad season but JC finishes with 3,700 yards and 30 TD's?

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

That seems like the literary football equivalent of an Oxymoron

Posted by: Devo2 | January 30, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Who needs Colt McCoy when you got a Colt Brennan?

Posted by: noseman4681 | January 30, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

god bless The Bearded Wonder. who's with me?

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | January 30, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Any of these guys would probably do for the first pick. Be nice to get 2, at least one who could play guard. Be nice to get Alex Mack as well. With three players like that I think the OL line woes would be resolved in a single stroke.

"1. Eugene Monroe, Virginia (6-5, 315)
2. Andre Smith, Alabama (6-4, 340)
3. Michael Oher, Mississippi (6-5, 320)
4. Jason Smith, Baylor (6-5, 300)
5. William Beatty, Connecticut (6-6, 310)
6. Eben Britton, Arizona (6-6, 310)"

Posted by: periculum | January 30, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

They need tackle/guards, guard/centers.

"Trevor Canfield/OG/Cincinnati: The Bearcat All American dominated opponents each and every day."

Posted by: periculum | January 30, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

"'BWA HA HA HA HA !!!

You forgot that the Cowpukes already did it with Phillips!

Posted by: charley42 | January 30, 2009"

Fairly sure that was also the case when Gruden was hired in TB.

If anything the assistants that Snyder chose were well chosen. He had help from Gibbs and company on that. Jury's out on the HC but it does appear as if he has potential.

The worst problem in the FO/Coaching realm is Snyder himself. Combined with Vinnie ... it tends to poison things for this team.

Posted by: periculum | January 30, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 30, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

The rain has ceased, The sun is shining, NFL players are all over town. Let the games begin!

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 30, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

My draft prediction is we trade down (either 1+3 or 2*2's). Vinne will use both picks on OL.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 30, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Then I start mon-blogging because it's what I do best!

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 30, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Where does Gene Wang the big tackle from VT fall? I thought he was supposed to be a decent RT prospect at one point...

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 30, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

One day without bashing Vinny & Dan?
How about we try that the day after the conclusion of a successful season.

Posted by: mack1 | January 30, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

And Truth doesn't drink. He sucks.

Posted by: mack1 | January 30, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

and I agree about Chris Hanburger too, I have brought that up before also. I think he gets no respect because the Skins D back in those days sjk'ed bad. Lot of 35-31 losses (or 72-41 victories)

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 30, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

The Truth likes the second best team in the SEC East.

Go national champ Gators!

I only root for them because GMU has no football team.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 30, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

best drink for regular occasions is johnny walker gold label with water or coke.

for special occasions, and the best drink ever, is johnny walker blue label str8 or with whatever.

Posted by: jasonma1 | January 30, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jasonma1 | January 30, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Nothing like scoring 41 ... and still getting blown out. Story goes that Sam Huff called a timeout so we could kick a FG to get to 72 ... just to rub it in to his old coach.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 30, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jasonma1 | January 30, 2009 5:17 PM

What has the world come to? Back in the day, only girls drank Scotch and coke. Does "jasonma" mean that you're Jasno's mother?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 30, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Guiness.

End of that conversation.

AZ wins this game by 7+.

You heard it here...

Posted by: p1funk | January 30, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Hope we're talking Russ Grimm, HOF next week. Have a fun weekend

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 30, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Aren't HOF'ers placed this weekend?

I don't even know who's nominated or qualifies.

That's not a good thing.

If Kurt Warner wins, will he get in?

How many more yards would Portis/James/F Taylor have to get over the next three-four years to even sniff at the yellow jacket?

If Polamalu has a great game, does it start HOF conversation? Does it put him on par with or above E Reed?

Is Ray Ray a future HOF'er?

With coaches no longer coaching in one place for a long time, I guess only Dungy and Cowher will be wearing the jacket out of this generation's coaches.

Maybe Norv, Marty, Dennis Green, and Billick will get in on the re-tread Coach HOF.

And speaking of ol' Dennis Green, is it true that he, like Dungy, set the Super Bowl table for another coach, Wisenhunt?

And how do lineman qualify?

And which modern, recent HOF'er doesn't even belong in the Hall. I start the conversation at Mikey Irvin.

So many questions, so many beers,...

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 30, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jasonma1 | January 30, 2009 5:19 PM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 30, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 30, 2009 5:47 PM

A Techie who knows value in high-end Scotch? Must have been an architecture major.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 30, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Yea, just maybe.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 30, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 30, 2009 11:52 AM

That's easy, Zeese. Samuel Smith Brewery.

Posted by: 4-12 | January 30, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

If you like bourbon, try Blantons.

~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | January 30, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

The best alcoholic drink is the one that gives Danny and Vinny alcohol-poisoning.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 30, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

"Ha! What's really depressing is that I have all year long to sulk on the fact that next year we'll lose 12-10 games.

Sadly enough, I'm secretly fantasizing about the 2010 offseason.

Posted by: Devo2 | January 30, 2009"

If they could get 3 top end OL out of the draft, a couple of clever FA signings ... while keeping the defense basically intact. Then I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

Have to wait until after April, by then we should know.

Posted by: periculum | January 30, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

"Overhyped and way overpriced. A good 20 year Laphroiag or any year Glen Scotia is just as good if not better. They are both expensive but not as ridiculous and stupid as Blue.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 30, 2009 5:47 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 30, 2009"

BAH, real men drink grappa. Flavored grappa's aren't bad ... better when drinking with ladies. Better than Lancers ... :)

Posted by: periculum | January 30, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Arch Deluxe for HOF ... something Danny and Vinnie hope for.

Posted by: periculum | January 30, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Good for Ryan Clark. He deserves this. Miss you 21...

Posted by: mharman1 | January 30, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

SICWIDIT says:

I love Russ Grimm, but half ya'll jackazzes would be calling for his head as soon as he misses a 4th and 1. Let's stop romaticizing...

Russ Grimm for the HOF..YEAH...

But...com'on RI...let's let the good ole' days go. We ain't the HOGS...Gary Dexter Manley's not waling through that door....Joe Jacoby's not walking through that door.

Posted by: rickyroge | January 30, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

SICWIDIT'S SUPER BOWL POLL!!!

Who's more kickass?
Mike Singeltary or Jack Lambert

What's worse?
Jim Plunkett's perm or Theismann's one bar facemask?

Lester Hayes or Darryl Green?

Green Lantern or Aquaman?

It's 3rd and 6...Clint Didier or Donny Warren?

Which one of the two FA's?
Darren Sproles or Julius Peppers

South Beach or San Diego?

Foghat or The Eagles?

Earth, Wind, and Fire or Parliament Funkadelic?

It's 3rd and long and I need a sack...
Joe Greene or Dexter Manley?

It's 2nd and 4...
John Riggins or Earl Campbell

Creedance Clearwater Revival or Lynard Skynard?

Nerf or a K-2?

Best Skins Helmet?

The "Redskin" man or the arrow?

Where to put the Super Bowl...
Warm weather city or rotate it?

(A little Basketball)...I need an offensive rebound...
Wes Unseld or Dennis Rodman?

Posted by: rickyroge | January 30, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Mike.

The one-bar mask is hardcore.

The answer is always Darrell Green. The question is irrelevant.

Lantern.

Only been to South Beach.

P1funk

The Prize Bull.

What's the difference?

Pass.

K-2.

I like the chief. The Criminoles can have the spear.

Rotation. It's football...make 'em play in the snow if they have to.

If you need a rebound, go with Wes. If you need something offensive, go with Dennis.

Posted by: p1funk | January 30, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | January 30, 2009 7:39 PM |

You're an a$$hat d-bag. No one asked you. Besides, the only lady you drink with has a penis and is your grandma.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 30, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

I love Ryan Clark. Good stuff. Gotta pull for him Sunday.

We miss you SeanTay. You were the best.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 31, 2009 3:43 AM | Report abuse

The Playboy Super Bowl party was cancelled this year. Here's a brief description of what the party would have been like if they'd held it, taken from a review of a new book "Billion Dollar Game":

"The Playboy party is meticulously organized by a planning team as keenly obsessed with its crucial details as the NFL and Fox are with theirs. One important detail that the planners attend to is filling the party with beautiful young women. A sure-fire tactic: Offer a Playboy Super Bowl party invitation to a campus recruiter if he can deliver a busload of 50 attractive college students over age 21. Playboy also stocks the affair with 30 Playmates, 840 bottles of Cuervo tequila, 80,000 feet of black curtains (to drape the interior of the venue) and 33 cooks, who prepare 8,000 appetizers ("ranging from honey walnut tacos to miniature Beef Wellingtons") on 600 sheet pans."

And this puts an end to Mr. Perky's notion that "real men drink grappa." Cuervo tequila seems to be the swill of choice among these real men and realer women.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 31, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Mmmmmm, tequila.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 31, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

iforgetwhowrote: "I really hate the Bob Hayes re-nomination. Hayes didn't make it once with the oldtimers, so they nominated him again.
But what about Chris Hanburger?"

I'm with you on Hanburger, but he didn't get the respect he deserved when he was playing, so why think things are different now?

But Bob Hayes, for all his flaws, changed the game for good. There have been many better receivers since, but few who had anything like Hayes' impact on a defense. He literally scared the crap out of defensive backs. Only real comparison I can think of: Randy Moss. When he was playing well, and with a QB who could get the ball to him, defensive coordinators were almost helpless. The whole idea of 'stretching the field' to stress the defense originated with the way Landry used the Bulletman.

To me, that's a HOF resume.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 31, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

That leaves me wondering: was Bob Hayes the fastest man who ever played the game (certainly was in the NFL at the time, but what about all these years later?) I'm not including guys like John Carlos who had brief flings, but real NFL regulars.

Trying to think who might have challenged him. Darrell Green, of course, and Deion. Anybody else?

Posted by: Samson151 | January 31, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

... and Herschel Walker, he was really fast. Dorsett and OJ were sprinters, but I doubt they ever approached Hayes's speed.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 31, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

The Chargers plan to make a contract offer to Sproles that would reflect him being a returner and specialty back. Their plan would be to use him in a role that expanded on what he did last season, when he set career highs with 61 carries for 330 yards and 29 receptions for 342 yards and five touchdowns.

I just read the above quote in the San Diego Union-Tribune 1/30/09 issue. Does anyone know what a returner/specialty back contract would be?

I think Rock is paid something in the $2 mill range. I love Rock, but think Sproles would be a huge addition to our ST's, especially in punt returns. And he could be a change of pace/3rd down back as well.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 31, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Another former Redskin player that goes on to play great for another team. The sad thing is the Redskins could have kept Ryan Clark and they would not have had to spend a first round draft pick on a safety. This just goes to show how badly this team is managed. That is why VINNY MUST GO!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bigjofc | January 31, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

That is why VINNY MUST GO!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bigjofc | January 31, 2009 11:24 AM

Maybe Vinny should go, but it has nothing to do with Ryan Clark. It was Gregg ("The Second G Is for Genius") Williams who wanted Archuleta instead of Clark.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 31, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | January 31, 2009 11:24 AM

No, Cartwright signed a three-year contract for $3.35 million. Only $.3 million was a signing bonus.

Sproles (aka, The Flavor of the Month here on RI) isn't going for a figure anywhere near what we're paying Rock. And he's not going to end up on the Redskins. It would be great to have him, but we have much more pressing needs in FA and the draft.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 31, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 31, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for that article, TE. I remembered the $2 mill, but that was what Rock was hoping to get. Thanks for clarifying that.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 31, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

sic,

Your dead wrong about Grimm, it ain't nostalgia, dude would/will be a great HC in this league and has compiled an impressive resume as asst coach....

Posted by: chrislarry | January 31, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

TE, I'm still man-loving a runner who could take it to the house. I think Sproles would up-grade our punt returns, and would maintain our KR's. And he could come in on 3rd downs and in 4th Qtr when opposing D is tired, and his speed could generate some explosiveness that we don't have right now.

What about signing him, and picking up a free agent RB, and waive Rock and Ladell? Use the $1 mill from Rock, and Ladell's salary(I think it is $2mill) for Sproles & FA.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 31, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

sic,

Posted by: chrislarry | January 31, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I agree, cl. I wanted him to be at least interviewed, and I think he would be a great HC. But I'm not ready to throw JZ out. I hope he is given time to see if he can bring some innovations into the O.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 31, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

i fear Zorn's innovations began/ended with the Z-Shade and QB dodge ball...

Posted by: chrislarry | January 31, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

When is the Hall of Fame announcement? Later today?

Posted by: Rusty6392 | January 31, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

When is the Hall of Fame announcement? Later today?

Posted by: Rusty6392 | January 31, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse
I thought I heard that it would be at 2:30 today.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 31, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

QB dodge ball...

Posted by: chrislarry | January 31, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I've got to admit that QB dodge-ball did seem to improve JC's ability to move in the pocket.

But I'm thinking about more misdirection plays. Establish some plays early in the game, get the D to read them, then change up and get the ball going the other way later in the game.

Last year it seemed that he used the same plays all game long, so the D knew what to expect.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 31, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | January 31, 2009 1:08 PM |

Yeah, I wish we had Sproles, but he will cost more than both those guys' salaries. He had a big year and he will be one of the big-Splash free agents. For this year, we need to sign every-down players, not big-Splash situational guys.

Jasno's theory is that they might look to get someone like this with a later-round pick. I'd be comfortable with that.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 31, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

fast freddie fritz...I hope, but don't think its gonna happen. Would love to be wrong.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 31, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Hall of Fame class of '09 will be announced at 2:30.

Posted by: CindyBoren | January 31, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Zorn's innovations began/ended with the Z-Shade and QB dodge ball...

Posted by: chrislarry | January 31, 2009 1:19 PM

That's where I think Zorn has been a failure. I don't see any change in the culture, or maybe a change for the worse. I see a lot of complacency in the Redskins. If Zorn can't turn it around next year, then he's gonna be a goner.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 31, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Announcement coming shortly...

Posted by: CindyBoren | January 31, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

maske will blog it and i'll tweet it and text it.

Posted by: CindyBoren | January 31, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Grimm made the cut to 10, but not the next cut: Bruce Smith, Rod Woodson, Randall McDaniel, Derrick Thomas, Ralph Wilson, plus 2 seniors nominees were the finalists.

Posted by: CindyBoren | January 31, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

In case you're not watching TV:

Bob Hayes, Randall McDaniel, Derrick Thomas, Bruce Smith, Ralph Wilson, and Rod Woodson will be the inductees.

Posted by: CindyBoren | January 31, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Really surprised that Shannon Sharpe did not make the cut....and Cris Carter left off again.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 31, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Grimm made the cut to 10, but not the next cut: Bruce Smith ...

Posted by: CindyBoren | January 31, 2009 2:40 PM

I guess it was too much to expect that two Redskins would get in again this year.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 31, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Sharpe will get in eventually. John CLayton was saying how he didn't think he'd get in so early on MnM in the Morn. He seems to get compared more numbers-wise to the WRs even though he was a TE

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 31, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

The Truth thanks all his fans for discussing him while he's gone.

Losers.

Posted by: TheTruth11

Even TheTruth knows that fans of TheTruth are losers

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 30, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

now that is funny. give him a break, poor little guy.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 31, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Trade Betts...Sign this guy to spell Portis and Possibly take over eventulaly.

Posted by: leevi98 | January 31, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

talentevaluator wrote: "cL--The Wall Street Journal has an interview with Cowher today who has to be the most conflicted man in America about the outcome of tomorrow's game -- Steelers or Whisenhunt/Grimm? (He came down squarely on the fence.) He praises Whis for "almost changing the whole culture in Arizona. It's been nothing short of spectacular."

Funny, was listening to one of the Cards saying the same thing on the radio yesterday. Big John Thompson asked him what Whisenhunt said to accomplish it, and the answer was that Ken told the team at the beginning of the season that they were playing for a championship and nothing less. Whereupon Big John pointed out that every coach said pretty much the same thing to his team, so what was different about this year's Cards?

Not much in the way of an answer. But is there ever?

Really, who knows why a team like that unexpectedly turns it around? They actually stunk it up at season's end. It looked like they were coasting, and they were. Then all of a sudden they get on a little run, and next thing you know, they're in the Super Bowl.

Are they as good Pittsburgh? Heck no. But the Giants weren't as good as the Pats, either.

I'm wondering if no matter the outcome, they struggle next year. Warner's 38, Edge James could go back into hibernation, who knows what Boldin could do? Larry Fitzgerald is this year's Randy Moss, but it's his 5th year in the League and there's no guarantee he stays this hot (who could?) Despite the recent praise, I'm willing to bit the Bidwills remain among the NFL's three or four worst owners.

I think it was Tom Coughlin who said it was more important to get hot at season's end than to play well throughout the year. That's why the Skins had a legit chance last season, until they tanked in Seattle (as many, many teams do -- the Seahawks were 7-1 at home).

So, maybe the head coach isn't as crucial as we tend to think.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 31, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Trade Betts...Sign Sproles to spell Portis and Possibly take over eventulaly.

Posted by: leevi98 | January 31, 2009 3:28 PM

One more fan of the big-splash, flavor-of-the-month approach to off season.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 31, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

give him a break, poor little guy.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 31, 2009 3:14 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 31, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm very happy Rod Woodson made the HOF. He was a HUGE supporter of Art Monk. Rod was constantly stating what a travesty it was that the voters were not electing Art.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 31, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Trade Betts...Sign Sproles to spell Portis and Possibly take over eventulaly.

Posted by: leevi98 | January 31, 2009 3:28 PM

One more fan of the big-splash, flavor-of-the-month approach to off season.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 31, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

totally aree

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 31, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Bruce Smith is in the OF....

I really don't care. All he did was rush the passer without any regard to whatever the defensive call was.

The guy who shut him down, Richmond Webb, is a HOF'er.

A betta question is how many of the Bills players from the teams that got smoked in multiple Supa Bowls are HOF worthy?

Andre Reed?

sure

Steve Tasker?

why not

Cornelius Bennett

you're jokin', right?

Marv Levy

no question there

Daryl Tally

don't think so

Thurmond Thomas

if he finds his helmet, he's in

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 31, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

'...Sign Sproles to spell Portis...'

posted by: leevi98

I think if I'm the chargers, I'm signing and keeping Sproles.

What happens with L Tomilnson is what's going to be interesting.

I think Derrick Ward is a better move, btw.
It helps in two ways:

--the jints won't have him to spell Jacobs.
--you won't to face him two times a season

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 31, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

+++oldtimer, if sean sneezed differently that day it could have changed the outcome.

or if you believe in fate, and who isnt a LOST junkie, it was destiny.

Either way, sad to say, it happened/

Posted by: Zeebs+++

According to this theory, somewhere, Sean Taylor is still making tackles. Not saying I believe in the Many QWorlds Theory, but it's a ncie change of pace from talking about Brewskis...

Posted by: TheCork | January 31, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

+++I think Bruce Smith gets in based solely on what he did during his time with the Redskins. There has never been anyone better at the 'get upfield as quickly as possible without regards to what the offense is doing in the hopes I can get a sack and then thank Dan Snyder for paying me vast sums to chase a personal record' move.

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks +++

Hell once, he dropped Snnny J. in the locker room after a game and demanded he get credit for a sack.

Posted by: TheCork | January 31, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

+++Can we go at least ONE day without bashing Vinny & Dan? I'm not a fan of either but this constant bashing get really old.

Posted by: Lisa_R ++

Here's an idea, offred with all due respect and positivity. Why don't YOU take a day off from RI? Go to Pope's Creek for some crabs or take a country road to West Virginny?

We'll still be here when you return and chances are you won't have missed a thing.

It's been twelve years of Groundhog Day since Snyder & Cerrato arrived, so that tends to breed daily negativism about them.

Posted by: TheCork | January 31, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

+++Isn't this what we used to say about Skippy before we discovered that Cork was Skippy? Do Skippy/Cork and Truth both have metal plates in their heads?

Posted by: talent_evaluator +++

Skippy ISN'T Corky. Skippy is a close personal friend of Corky's. Don't know about Truth, but Corky went ceramic years ago.

And your excuse is....?

Posted by: TheCork | January 31, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Corky went ceramic years ago.

Posted by: TheCork | January 31, 2009 6:18 PM

Ceramic? So you've got a plate plate in your head? Oh.

How's your relationship with Lisa working out?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 31, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

"I think Derrick Ward is a better move, btw.
It helps in two ways:

--the jints won't have him to spell Jacobs.
--you won't to face him two times a season

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 31, 2009"

Glad to see someone here is thinking ... NFC East. But then you've effectively replaced Betts ... I wouldn't go for Sproles but I think drafting a Sproles type back in the 2010 draft would make sense.

Note to self: Remind Snidely and Vinnie that the neo-Hippie, liberal-conservative, luxury home, hot tub and Prius owning, California-ism religious denomination types here believe that 2012 is the end of the World. Need to make sure Skins somehow win the Superbowl before that .. ~laughing~

Posted by: periculum | January 31, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

BTW, No need to listen to Spudly the magic dragon.

The only talent he evaluates is when he compares the size of protuberances he observes in the rest room at work to his own shrunken member.

Posted by: periculum | January 31, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

"We need every-down players, not another situational guy. After we have the O-Line in place, then we can get someone to run behind it.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 31, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

totally aree

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 31, 2009"

CORRECT!!!

Get as many OL types in camp, as high in the draft as possible. Try to replace the entire left side of the line with some younger, stronger athletic college types. Move Samuels to the right next to Thomas. If they somehow get lucky enough to get Mack start him at center straight away.

After that is all squared away then worry about skill players. Me thinks Betts and Cartwright should spell Portis well enough but all accounts.

Posted by: periculum | January 31, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

CORRECT!!!

Posted by: periculum | January 31, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Perky, you are only going to get 1 or 2 starters out of this draft. If you use #13, you will be able to get a starting T. If you trade down, you MAY get 2. You should be able to get(no guarantees) Alex Mack late in the 1st, and you may get a good T or a very good G in the 2nd. But you won't fix the entire OL this draft. So you are going to have to use several from last year, or sign multiple FA's.

And Rinehart may be more serviceable than early reports have suggested. He wasn't needed last year, so they are saying he wasn't ready to step in front of Kendall or Thomas. That's not the same as saying he will not be able to play next year, after a whole year of training.

And I'm wondering how Devin Clark will work out. Just saying...

Posted by: frediefritz | January 31, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

My vote for best beer is Dogfish Head's Raison D'Etre, which I understand has been superseded by something called Raison D'Extra, I never tried that. Still the best American beer I've ever had, and that's even though it was made by Delawareans...

Posted by: Samson151 | January 31, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Okay, looks like the consensus is drifting towards the Skins using their top pick, number 13, to draft an OT, preferably to replace Jansen -- and I'm trying to figure out why.

Teams rarely draft OTs that high. Most successful OTs are later in the first round or more likely, the second or third. There are exceptions, like Samuels and Jon Ogden and Bryant McKinnie and Tony Boselli and of course Orlando Pace (who went first overall), but there are an equal number of less successful ventures. Think Robert Gallery. Think Mike Williams. Or Kenyatta Walker, Kwame Harris, Shawn Andrews (now a guard), Victor Riley, Alex Barron...

Most teams seem to think the first round, especially the first half of the first round, is too high for a tackle. Relatively few drafted in the first round over the past ten seasons. Then came last year, when they went nuts. They picked what, six of them? including Jake Long, the first overall. Long, Otah, and Sam Baker worked out pretty well. Cherilus, Chris Williams, and Clady -- we'll see.

Much more common: teams using a choice that high to go after a defensive linemen, a cornerback, or one of the offensive skill positions.

The push for an OT (particularly on the less desirable right side)sounds to me like the dreaded 'need pick' -- where the team's desperate need to fill a slot results in the selection of an overrated player rather than the best athlete available.

That's how GMs lose their jobs. And I'm pretty sure Vinny Cerrato knows that.

If i were a betting man, I'd look elsewhere. But I'm not, of course. So what do I know?

Posted by: Samson151 | January 31, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Hmm. Someone with a bit of time could probably disprove that claim. Look at Samuels as an example -- in all likelihood, he'll end up with 10-12 years as a starter for us; compare that to Lavar, or Ramsey, or any top ten WR I can think of. (Except Gardner, Rod of course.)
LT is a very solid position to invest in, you can usually swallow the cap number, one great year at tackle won't result in "stunning numbers that make him test the FA market".
So -- either we'll get a real top OT, or the pundits are right and we'll get the 4th OT selected in 13 picks.
But make no mistake -- with #13, you're getting an LT. We may shift him to RT at first, but you're getting an LT.

Posted by: daggar | February 1, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | January 31, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Who should the Skins target at #13? The draft is loaded with talented OT and LB. There could easily be four OTs picked by the 13th pick.

Posted by: siris | February 1, 2009 2:58 AM | Report abuse

Samson,

That's an interesting way to think about it, but the facts go against you. Over the last ten years there were 36 OTs selected in the first round, 3.6 per year, or 11% of the first round picks. Now, OT's are 2 of 22 starters, or 9%, so you are wrong to say "Relatively few [OTs were] drafted in the first round over the past ten seasons." In fact, "relatively many" were drafted.

As to your argument about first round busts, well so what? There are first round busts at every position. Pacman Jones was taken two picks before Carlos Rogers. Alex Smith was the first overall pick in the draft. Etc.

As for "best player available" I have always been a believer in this. My faith was shaken slightly last year when it turned out that the best player available in the second round was a TE, one of the few positions of real strength on the Redskins.

Then it occured to me that there is no one in the league, and certainly not working for the Redskins, who can identify the "best player available." The teams that got better last year -- Dolphins, Ravens, Falcons -- all drafted for need.

So, if you're still "trying to figure out why" the concensus is drifting toward an OT, I don't think you've been paying attention. Most of us think that it's the #1 need. And with no second round pick, we're a bit reluctant to wait until the third round. But there are also a number of people -- if not a concensus then at least a claque -- who would like the 'Skins to trade down to get a second, taking the OT with either of these two picks.

I would also venture that there are not too many people up here who are so obtuse that if the draft broke such that there were a hot D lineman or LB taken with the first pick that they would call for Vinny's head. At least, not louder than they are already calling for it.

But, to say that taking an OT as a "need pick" at #13 will get a GM fired is just wrong. Parcells managed to keep his job.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 1, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Skins are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

So what if they draft an OT with the 13th pick...don't they need O-lineman? If 13th is "too high" for a lineman, then who should they pick?

As I have stated, I think the problem with this team is:

1) The age and lack of athleticism on the Offensive Line.

2) Overcommittment to average talent on offense

3) Overcommittment to Clinton Portis as a "smashmouth" between the tackles RB. Portis is not a 25-30 carries a game, for 16 games back. They must mix it up more often.

Posted by: rickyroge | February 1, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

"...I'm very happy Rod Woodson made the HOF..."

Posted by: Lisa_R

Moe agrees with this assessment in every way.

Also: Woodson is one of the best football talking-head/pundits in media today.

Sterling Sharpe covers NFL issues like his boldface dialogue is all punctuated with exclamation points.

Jamie Dukes seems like a preacher who's lost his way to the pulpit.

Rich Eisen would be a fine fellow to share a brew or two with.

Chris Berman needs to can the '60s pop music references bit.

No one on the ESPN fuddball pregame shows is worth the money they're paid. Or is worth listening to--except Merrill Hoge and Ron Jaworski.

I can't stand the 'we're all buddies here, yakking it up' attitdue on the FOX and CBS pregame shows, so I don't watch them.

I take my football like I like my coffee: straight up and strong.

Howie Long is great, as is, admittedly, Bradshaw....sometimes.

Hell will have to freeze over before Moe drops a fine line about Jimmy Johnson.

In fact, with the bathroom a step away, Moe will take a moment to drop all of his thoughts about Jimmy Johnson and his Cowboy years into the Palm Beach County Sewage and Public Waste System.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

An XLIII good morning to you all. (I have no idea what that means. I've been watching Federerererer-Nadal.) beepbeep.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | February 1, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Poor Roger. Will he ever beat Nadal again?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | February 1, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Hell will have to freeze over before Moe drops a fine line about Jimmy Johnson.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 1, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

LMAO

Posted by: frediefritz | February 1, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

mistamoe: "Moe agrees with this assessment in every way.
Also: Woodson is one of the best football talking-head/pundits in media today.
Jamie Dukes seems like a preacher who's lost his way to the pulpit.
Rich Eisen would be a fine fellow to share a brew or two with."

Okay, you're Larry King, aren't you? This reads just like Larry's newspaper column.

'Fess up, you're on wife number seven, right?

Posted by: Samson151 | February 1, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse